Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Future of Federal Conservative Party

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Not sure that I care either way if she takes the interim leadership or not but what really irks me is that this story is released by the Calgary Herald for national distribution. What the heck is the Journal paying its reporters to do?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...023/story.html

Dennis Henry ·
    Fanshawe College
    Rona, Just not ready! but nice hair.

Comment section:
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Dennis Henry ·
    Fanshawe College
    Rona, Just not ready! but nice hair.

Comment section:
    The pity is, he isn't ready and now with his big guys haircut, his hair looks ordinary

grish

I know. We finally agree on something and Steve Harper. Poor guy is out of a job too... Hope he finds something that's actual working experience such as anything that's not government or lobby related.

^like Trust Fund Baby Trudeau has a real job now? Say all you want about Harper but he wasn't born with a silver spoon to rule, he will do fine.

Now that he's in I hope Justin grows his hair back. As for Rona I think she is pretty and cordial enough but unfortunately her mind has been tainted by the Harper autocratic approach to governance.............naziiiiiism.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Now that he's in I hope Justin grows his hair back. As for Rona I think she is pretty and cordial enough but unfortunately her mind has been tainted by the Harper autocratic approach to governance.............naziiiiiism.
    "pretty and cordial" Does "pretty" outrank cordial in the assessment process?

Depends on my mood at the time I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    I know. We finally agree on something and Steve Harper. Poor guy is out of a job too... Hope he finds something that's actual working experience such as anything that's not government or lobby related.
    He isn't out of a job, he won and represents his riding. Keep up now.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^like Trust Fund Baby Trudeau has a real job now? Say all you want about Harper but he wasn't born with a silver spoon to rule, he will do fine.
    Trust fund baby, pothead mother. Ugh!

Tony Clement madly backpedalling on the Conservatives decision to torpedo the long form census. Hilarious!

The long form census that everyone loves, said absolutely nobody.

Yeah Tony, you should have thought why you were doing something instead of just doing what Harper decided to do with no thought about the reasons or the consequences.

“I think we could have had a much wider discussion on how we collect data in our society. What is the best way to do that, that balances privacy with accuracy, and rather than making that one decision [to make the census voluntary].”

Clement said he should have researched more what other countries were doing in terms of collecting information, and if there were different ways to gather the data the federal government wanted.

“I’ll take the blame for that. I should have posed that question six years ago,” he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11...n_8478692.html

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    The long form census that everyone loves, said absolutely nobody.
    Yeah, let's just spend more money to get a lower response rate with less data that cannot be compared to previous years, thus making tracking of trends almost impossible.

Sounds like a Conservative solution to me...

The long-form census was the demographic backbone for government, business, social services and academic research across the country. Data collected from the census, which enjoyed an approximate 98 per cent return rate, was used to make key municipal, provincial and federal decisions.

Where are social services most needed? Where would business investment be most profitable? What parts of the country have highest unemployment? Where is income disparity greatest? How are aboriginal communities and new immigrants faring compared to other sectors of society?

These are but a few of the questions the long-form census helped answer, providing a social scientific lamp illuminating often unreported but critical social and economic data, especially in remote and marginalized areas of the country.

For Ted Hsu, Liberal MP for Kingston and the Islands, who sponsored Bill C-626 as a private member’s bill, the mandatory long-form census is critical to restore.
    As Hsu notes, not only was it cheaper to manage but its data was far richer and more reliable, and also provided continuity from year to year. The National Household Survey costs approximately $22 million more to administer (including adjustment for inflation), has a much lower rate of return — approximately 65 per cent — and cannot be compared with decades of previous census data.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comme...-scharper.html

Then you fill it out, I don't intend to!

grish

Your intentions are irrelevant. It's the law to fill it out, just like it is the law to pay taxes. You can throw a hissy fit if you'd like, but you will still fill it out as that is a small part of being a member of society that decides collectively through elected officials how to spend public money.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Do I snicker or guffaw?

Your intentions are irrelevant. It's the law to fill it out, just like it is the law to pay taxes. You can throw a hissy fit if you'd like, but you will still fill it out as that is a small part of being a member of society that decides collectively through elected officials how to spend public money.
    I'll fill it in, but there is no law forcing you tell the truth, so my one will more than wipe out yours. I'll make sure its just a little bit "bogus" so that it isn't easily identified as such. I don't think I'll be the only person doing this.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

I'll fill it in, but there is no law forcing you tell the truth, so my one will more than wipe out yours. I'll make sure its just a little bit "bogus" so that it isn't easily identified as such. I don't think I'll be the only person doing this.
    eliminating the long form census was stupid.

scamming it is just as stupid.

as individuals, communities, companies, cities, provinces and a country, we make long term decisions regarding our investments in everything from housing to education to healthcare and infrastructure from sewage treatment to airports. thinking that can be done efficiently without knowing who those things are being done for and their needs is foolish at every level.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^forcing somebody to fill something in, versus having statistically more accurate short samples that will be filled in more accurately and with more attention, is stupid. Stupid is, as stupid does.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-11-2015 at 08:26 AM.

FYI to the people here who think they are brilliant for deciding to refuse to fill in the census / fill in false information: both of those actions are illegal.

Statistics Act Subsection 31:
    "Every person who, without lawful excuse,

(a) refuses or neglects to answer, or wilfully answers falsely, any question requisite for obtaining any information sought in respect of the objects of this Act or pertinent thereto that has been asked of him by any person employed or deemed to be employed under this Act, or

(b) refuses or neglects to furnish any information or to fill in to the best of his knowledge and belief any schedule or form that the person has been required to fill in, and to return the same when and as required of him pursuant to this Act, or knowingly gives false or misleading information or practises any other deception thereunder. is, for every refusal or neglect, or false answer or deception, guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to both."

Don't be a clown. Fill out the form. Or rather, don't, and go to prison.

^I'm sure the 21,000 people who filled in their religion as "Jedi Knight" on the 2001 long form census were scared...

Canada prides itself on being a country full of freedoms, but it only takes one thoughtless law to strip those freedoms away. The government’s decision to arbitrarily pursue Finley seems reckless, particularly when one considers how those who have returned the long-form census with false answers haven’t been similarly pursued.

As noted before, in the 2001 census up to 21,000 Canadians registered “Jedi knight” as their religion of choice. So although it used to be mandatory to fill out the census, apparently the part about not knowingly providing false or misleading information was highly discretionary.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...ensus-pressure

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    eliminating the long form census was stupid.

Top_Dawg figgers the only ones in favor of the long form census are the ones who favor more government.

" The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help ".

- Ronald Reagan

No hissy fit, it got lost in the mail. I can blame it on the superboxes, oh wait..

Nothing makes me more sure I'm on the right side of an argument than to see moa, dawg & lady on the other side of it.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^I'm sure the 21,000 people who filled in their religion as "Jedi Knight" on the 2001 long form census were scared...

Canada prides itself on being a country full of freedoms, but it only takes one thoughtless law to strip those freedoms away. The government’s decision to arbitrarily pursue Finley seems reckless, particularly when one considers how those who have returned the long-form census with false answers haven’t been similarly pursued.

As noted before, in the 2001 census up to 21,000 Canadians registered “Jedi knight” as their religion of choice. So although it used to be mandatory to fill out the census, apparently the part about not knowingly providing false or misleading information was highly discretionary.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...ensus-pressure

Faith is not a hard fact. Whatever you choose to identify as is the truth, because faith is an internally defined characteristic with no objective status.

Elements of the last long-form census included labour market activities, ethnic/national origin, level and type of unpaid/household work, place of birth of parents, housing type/information, income, education levels, etc.

Lie about these things or omit them, and you could go to prison.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Nothing makes me more sure I'm on the right side of an argument than to see moa, dawg & lady on the other side of it.
    Lol, well you carry on sharing your personal information so that corporations can know more about you, I don't want to live in that, controlling, Germanesq society. Personally, I think my religion, ethincity and salary is none of their ******* business re their important "research" / "marketing", and for sure don't expect them to arrest 21,000 Jedi Knights who feel the same way.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-11-2015 at 09:26 AM.

^ That information is not released with individual identifying factors in any way shape or form.

What you are asking for here is for the government to make decisions about what to do with tax money without any of the requisite knowledge that policy makers need to ensure programs are properly designed.

In other words, you want to waste tax money. Reformacons: where conservative rhetoric meets asinine, irrational reality.

Again, please feel free to fill out the form with lies, and go to prison. This would be an especially intelligent choice after publicly broadcasting your intent to do so online.

Lol, well you carry on sharing your personal information so that corporations can know more about you, I don't want to live in that, controlling, Germanesq society. Personally, I think my religion, ethincity and salary is none of their ******* business re their important "research" / "marketing", and for sure don't expect them to arrest 21,000 Jedi Knights who feel the same way.
    Yup and a noodle is a noodle is a noodle

So, you don't fill out a tax return or you fill it out with made up numbers? Interesting.

Looking at the title to this Thread:

"None" is the correct answer.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    So, you don't fill out a tax return or you fill it out with made up numbers? Interesting.
    The information is private (to the extent there is aggregated data published, no need then for census to ask again), and last time I looked, it didn't interrogate me about my religious views or race.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Kevin O'Leary considering running for Conservative leadership
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cons...eary-1.3401967

Probably the real reason for his posturing against Notley
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^wouldn't be worse than Pocklington I guess, then again, O'Leary didn't build the greatest NHL team ever, so maybe he would I think he is just posturing to build his own celebrity publicity some more.

I think O'Leary would be excellent.... you need someone who has actually ran a successful business... Ask yourself, if you had a chunk of change to invest, who would you pick as your financial adviser... O'Leary, Trudeau, or Notley?

Oh yeah, the guy with a million bucks to save the oil patch.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Exactly Howie. The worst part is these guys actually believe their own bullshlt.

O'Leary is the consummate pitchman and self promoter. His fortune was made primarily through the sale of his software company in a sweetheart deal with Mattel. Consider this article from the Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...4334/?page=all

Thus began the counternarrative to O’Leary’s heroic foundation story. Reports by CFRA were the first in a series of analyses that stand in stark contrast to the O’Leary version of events. One of CFRA’s reports alleged that SoftKey may have overstated its earnings by bundling various general and administrative costs into write-offs. CFRA was also unhappy with SoftKey’s response after its auditor, Arthur Andersen, found deficiencies in the company’s internal controls.
    ...a case study by Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business found that “two of [SoftKey’s] deals…rank among the 10 worst U.S. acquisitions during 1994-1996 as measured by shareholder value two years after the deal.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Rseven View Post
    I think O'Leary would be excellent.... you need someone who has actually ran a successful business... Ask yourself, if you had a chunk of change to invest, who would you pick as your financial adviser... O'Leary, Trudeau, or Notley?
    None? O'Leary did start his own investment fund company, and for the most part they were terrible investments. And even though his name was on the company, for the most part he had little or nothing to do with the funds themselves. It was a branding exercise. And it recently came to an end because most of his funds had significantly declining assets under management. It was in a death spiral, basically.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kevi...unds-1.3272502

Sounds like Trump. Licences his name to various projects, inherits New York properties from his father, starts his business with a "small, $1 million dollar loan", has his casinos declare bankruptcy numerous times.

Yup, sounds like a great fit for the Conservatives. They deserve Canada's version of The Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Yup, sounds like a great fit for the Conservatives. They deserve Canada's version of The Donald.
    Apparently, 23% of Conservatives think so. That's a statistical tie for first place in a "hypothetical" poll:

http://www.citynews.ca/2016/01/18/ke...adership-race/

Pretty sure it's just all about name recognition at this point. Nobody has really launched a serious campaign. I'm pulling for Maxime Bernier myself...

^being in a tie with, "lets use a military chopper on my fishing trip" "McKay", isn't really saying much. I wonder if Ben or Mark Mulroney could be talked into running? That would be interesting, since Canadians seem to like choosing leaders based on hereditary aspects rather than talent (e.g. Trudeau Jr).

Don't blame me on that, I vote on where the party stands on issues, I don't care if someone is whatever color, or how nice their hair is or isn't.

Danny Williams. He's the anti-thesis of Harper. Might not be able to put his name to the Conservative ticket, but certainly the PC ticket if they ever split.

O'Leary is a joke. He's bombastic and loud mouthed, and if you look at this history, is actually really bad at business.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Danny Williams. He's the anti-thesis of Harper.
    Ouch- the man who spoke out against two-tier health, except when its his own health (in which case, it was fully legitimate for him to use our existing second tier for the rich - fly south).

Danny Williams. He's the anti-thesis of Harper.
    Ouch- the man who spoke out against two-tier health, except when its his own health (in which case, it was fully legitimate for him to use our existing second tier for the rich - fly south).
    A perfect fit for the Conservative party.

Danny Williams. He's the anti-thesis of Harper. Might not be able to put his name to the Conservative ticket, but certainly the PC ticket if they ever split.

O'Leary is a joke. He's bombastic and loud mouthed, and if you look at this history, is actually really bad at business.
    I would vote for Danny Williams if he somehow stole the party back from the conservative in name only, voodoo-economics spewing talking heads that control it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post

I would vote for Danny Williams if he somehow stole the party back from the conservative in name only, voodoo-economics spewing talking heads that control it now.
    I would too, and I suspect a lot of other people would as well.

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Pretty much what I'd expect from him. Disappointed but not surprised.

^If a Liberal had done this about Conservative talking points when Harper was in power, would you have been offended? I'm willing to bet, not. I think its actually pretty funny, people need to lighten up a bit.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2534276/ed...d-bingo-tweet/

The fact that a conservative MP thinks "indigenous", "first nations", and "syrians" are buzzwords is highly disturbing.

Add to that the slightly less distasteful but still shocking notion that "sustainable", "united nations", and "mandate" belong in that category as well.

Kerry Diotte should never have been elected. What a jackass.

Is that it? From the way conservative-bashers are frothing at the mouths over this, I was expecting something really cruel.

What a bunch of nothing.

The fact that a conservative MP thinks "indigenous", "first nations", and "syrians" are buzzwords is highly disturbing.
    Highly disturbing?

If you are highly disturbed by THAT, I am surprised you can even function.

^lol, the reason they are disturbed is because its true, almost any Liberal speech peppered with all these phrases over and over.

Much ado about nothing. It's a joke on how Sunny Ways has made all kinds of platform promises that he is now reneging on. It's just a bingo board crossing off what he promised and has not done. If Dewar (cartoons) had of done this for the newspaper it would have been looked on (by most people) as very funny. I'm surprised there is not a square there for pipelines. Of course the people who get offended over very little are having a field day over this. It's been a while since they have found some national none issue to be offended about.

highlander

It doesn't reflect well on him as an MP, whoever make the card seems not to understand what a buzzword is, and in the way typical of all opposition parties there are a lot of words there that would also be on a card of things a conservative government would say.

But there's nothing here that's offensive or disturbing.

What is appropriate as a political cartoon to are read and chuckled at is far different from what is the appropriate use of an MPs time while they're in the House. Personally I find the card amusing but don't think Diotte should have sitting in the House playing games.

And it should be disturbing that "indigenous", "first nations", and "syrians" are becoming buzzwords but that would be the fault of the Liberals not the Conservatives.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I think you can check off tide water, I believe Justin did talk about it with respect to pipelines. Of course when you stop tanker traffic what is the point in building a pipeline to BC.
    http://www.vancouversun.com/business..._lsa=c22d-71b1

^its interesting how they haven't consulted with the "indigenous" people with respect to that tanker ban, especially given how with Gateway, First Nations groups have equity ownership in the project.

Hopefully this mouthpiece does not run.

-------
    Once again teasing a possible run at the leadership of the federal Conservative party, television star Kevin O'Leary appeared at the Manning Centre conference in Ottawa on Friday and vowed to be Finance Minister Bill Morneau's "worst nightmare."
    "Our financial policy in this country... is broken," he said to applause, after claiming the Canadian engineering students he speaks to regularly are planning to leave the country on account of high taxes and a low dollar.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/olea...ence-1.3466575

---------------
    Someone who thinks everyone is entitled to his opinion.

I get the feeling O'Leary is seeing Trump's success and sensing an opportunity. That is the one thing he's actually good at. Not so much at running companies or investment funds though.

The real (and shocking) story of Kevin O'Leary's business career

Kevin O'Leary: He's not a billionaire, he just plays one on TV

^I don't like Kevin Oleary and wouldn't want him as Conservative leader, but that's actually a pretty impressive resume. I've never done a fraction of the stuff he has, certainly haven't set up my own companies or similar. Most entrepreneurs go through multiple failures, he has had those, but plenty of successes too. As to the Oleary fund thing, sounds like he just licensed his name to it for a personal profit, I can't really blame him for that, I wish I could license my name... It's easy to criticize someone who has done all sorts of stuff for getting things wrong, but at least he's done all sorts of stuff, I certainly haven't (don't really want to, saw my dad try and fail at that).
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-02-2016 at 09:15 AM.

His resume seems to be making bad companies look good and selling them for far more than they're worth. That and building money losing operations by convincing others to invest large amounts in them or borrowing for acquisitions.

His big score consisted of convincing Mattel to spend $4b on TLC, which had been losing money for years and was $1b in the hole. Less than a year later after their stock tanked and they had fired O'Leary Mattel sold TLC for $27m.

O'Leary is the sleazy used car salesman working the big time.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

This seems to look like the government is trying to please everyone, and in the process pleasing nobody and wasting time and resources.
    How about Canada disallows dual citizenship, then all of this just goes away. A person cannot live in two countries at the same time. They simply choose which country they want to be loyal to, pledge allegiance - done and dusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Should fit right in with the CONS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Should fit right in with the CONS.
    Said he might run for Liberal leadership too, if he is a used car salesman, would fit in even better there given all the lies they told to win the election (e.g. Will rule out F35, won't go over 10 billion of debt, etc).

Said he might run for Liberal leadership too, if he is a used car salesman, would fit in even better there given all the lies they told to win the election (e.g. Will rule out F35, won't go over 10 billion of debt, etc).
    Poor try. The CONS are full of people like him as can be easily seen by the posts on this and the Liberal thread - devoid of thought and bitter over the loss.

Default Defund the CBC?

Interesting, Tony Cement is running on a platform that includes removing CBC funding for television. The Conservatives, when they get back in power, are going to make the CBC pay for their Liberal paid for (massive funding increase straight after election), biased election coverage.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...-conservatives

Yeah, because Rex Murphy is such a Liberal shill, especially when it come to Justin Trudeau.

What's funny about this iDiotte talking point bingo is where he stole the bit from; a 2010 Stephen Colbert interview. And yes, it started life as Conservative Talking Point Bingo

Daily Kos: BINGO! Stephen Colbert leaves Matalin talking pointlessly!
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Interesting, Tony Cement is running on a platform that includes removing CBC funding for television. The Conservatives, when they get back in power, are going to make the CBC pay for their Liberal paid for (massive funding increase straight after election), biased election coverage.

More nonsense. Clement should stick to gazebos and gravel parking lots graft. Thank goodness his ilk was driven out of power.

They had ten years to dump the CBC and it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    They had ten years to dump the CBC and it didn't happen.
    They cut quite a bit of funding to it, but clearly not enough given the huge government paid bribe the Liberals just gave as a thank you for all the election advertising they did for them. So, the cuts backfired on the Conservatives as Trudeau cleverly tapped into the revenge mindset at cbc by promising to boost their funding. I think cutting the cbc TV makes a lot of sense. If cbc wants to keep it going, they can work like PBC.

highlander

If the cuts backfired on the conservatives it can only be because more people want CBC preserved than want it starved, and that they would otherwise would have considered voting conservative. I have to assume that people who don't value the CBC wouldn't be watching it to be influenced by the supposedly strong liberal biased election coverage.

Oh it isn't supposedly, it has a strong anti conservative bias, much disdain is given to Harper and Trump and much praise is given to Trudeau and Obama. To me a national radio station that is taxpayer funded should be neutral, if you have a left leaning show, you should give equal time to a right leaning show.

John Ivison: Brad Wall sought for federal leadership bid to prevent Conservative split
    http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...ervative-split

Best line:
    The mission, should Wall choose to accept it, is to defeat the telegenic scion of a political dynasty that many true-blue Conservatives consider an abomination — I’m talking, of course, about former justice minister Peter MacKay.
    The article goes on to mention the possible return of Harper.

Oh, and looks like Kellie Leitch will be kicking off her leadership campaign right here in #yeg
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cons...519593?cmp=rss

This might help Kenney - seems at the last election he was very generous in sending riding money to other candidates:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ive-candidates

While his association mainly sent payments of $5,000 or $2,500, six candidates received $10,000 each from Kenney: Ted Opitz and Roxanne James in Toronto, Wladyslaw Lizon in Mississauga, Michael Parsa in Richmond Hill, Greg Rickford in the northern Ontario riding of Kenora, and Kenny Chiu in the B.C. riding of Steveston-Richmond East.

All six lost.

But Kenney may end up the winner: all that spending could eventually count for something should he decide to run for the leadership of the Conservative party.

Default Duffy Cleared; Harper PMO Slammed

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mike...nate-1.3545846

The comments posted about the CONS are the best!

No future at all I hope!!

No future at all
    IMO

Yeah this covers all of us pretty much...regardless of political affiliation.

Provincial/Federal doesn't much matter....PC/NDP/Liberal we have a had a couple generations (maybe more) of poor leadership and governance leading us to where we are today and only the very occasional "bright light"at any level.

This trend is going to continue as long as Party politics/ideologues/personal power/gain are allowed to be the driving forces in politics. Regardless of party.

When everyday Canadians get pi$$ed off enough to protest the way the system works (again regardless of level/party) will it change.

Heck even I'd be a Liberal if it was the St. Laurent Liberals we were talking about, but those days are long-long gone regardless of party.

In my opinion

T

grish

I disagree (with the Man from YEG). I hope for a strong, ethical conservative party if only to push other parties to work on own strengths and ethics. This specific news, as I hope, would force them to clean up camp...

I understand that eventually they will get a shot at governing the country and that even if their choices may not align with my values, I would at least know that they make decisions with integrity.

So, this is an opportunity. Don't blow it.

I use the term "CONS" as opposed to 'conservative' on purpose. The two terms are mutually exclusive in my view.

Default New Canada Rising

Interesting candidate, Michael Chong:

Former Conservative ministers Kellie Leitch and Maxime Bernier already have jumped into the race, while former ministers Jason Kenney, Peter MacKay, Tony Clement and Lisa Raitt are weighing potential leadership bids.

Chong’s policy focus will be on the economy, environment and democratic reform, including progressive policies that might rankle true-blue Conservatives.

He endorses carbon pricing *— something many Conservatives label as an unwelcome “carbon tax” — and believes the revenues raised from a levy on carbon dioxide should be used to lower personal and corporate income taxes. Doing so will reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and lead to wage and productivity growth, he said.

It’s part of a broader set of environmental and tax reforms, he said, that should see more focus on taxing consumption than income.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...fresh-policies

Might be nice for once to not have a middle aged white guy as PM.
    Last edited by moahunter; 16-05-2016 at 09:57 AM.

Conservatives discuss 2-term limit for party leaders

An interesting aspect of this is the idea it might be a reaction to how long Harper led the party for. I did get the impression many in the party weren't sad to see him go and perhaps felt he should have left earlier.

Harper will be stepping down as an MP to start up his own foreign policy institute.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle30133335/

I use the term "CONS" as opposed to 'conservative' on purpose. The two terms are mutually exclusive in my view.
    Wow, so edgy!

Interesting candidate, Michael Chong:

Former Conservative ministers Kellie Leitch and Maxime Bernier already have jumped into the race, while former ministers Jason Kenney, Peter MacKay, Tony Clement and Lisa Raitt are weighing potential leadership bids.

Chong’s policy focus will be on the economy, environment and democratic reform, including progressive policies that might rankle true-blue Conservatives.

He endorses carbon pricing *— something many Conservatives label as an unwelcome “carbon tax” — and believes the revenues raised from a levy on carbon dioxide should be used to lower personal and corporate income taxes. Doing so will reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and lead to wage and productivity growth, he said.

It’s part of a broader set of environmental and tax reforms, he said, that should see more focus on taxing consumption than income.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...fresh-policies

Might be nice for once to not have a middle aged white guy as PM.
    A conservative party led by someone like Chong might win be back. I would love a return to sensible, level-headed conservatism rather than neoliberal demagoguery.

* though I don't support his "neutral" stance on same-sex marriage. It is disgusting that anyone is allowed to run for office under the conservative banner with the intention of meddling in the private affairs of Canadians in that way. His stance should be to outright ban any individual from the party that expresses anti-same sex marriage views.
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 25-05-2016 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Harper will be stepping down as an MP to start up his own foreign policy institute.
    We're worried about Trudeau taking a day off while in Japan to celebrate his anniversary and yet it'll likely be all crickets that Harper is essentially forcing an expensive byelection all because he doesn't want to serve the other 75% of his term that he was elected for.

C2E Continued Contributor

There is a 0% chance I would vote for a Conservative Party led by Maxime Bernier, but if he can get the conversation re-started regarding reforming supply management in Canada's dairy/poultry industry, then at least some good could come from his leadership campaign. There is no reason for any true 'conservative' candidate to oppose Bernier's position on this.
    In today's world of course even if the CPC did adopt this policy, this would force the Liberals to come out guns ablazing in support of supply management.. but, alas. One step at a time.

Since I announced my candidacy to the leadership of the Conservative party several weeks ago, there is one question that I have been asked by almost every journalist, as well as by many Conservative members: “You say you want to defend free-market principles. How do you reconcile this with your support for supply management?”

There is of course no way to reconcile it. Supply management is a system based on keeping the prices of dairy, poultry and eggs artificially high through the control of production, the banning of imports, price-fixing by bureaucrats, and on preventing competition and entry into the market. It is a cartel. It is the opposite of free markets.

However, article 117 of the Conservative Party Policy Declaration affirms the party’s official support for supply management. As an MP and minister in a government that supported supply management, I was not in a position to question the party’s democratic decision, or cabinet solidarity. And so I went along with it like all my colleagues, even though I had grave misgivings about it for all these years.

Today, I am running for the leadership of this party. I have said repeatedly that for conservative principles to win, we must defend them openly, with passion and conviction. I obviously cannot defend supply management with passion and conviction. And I think we Conservatives are not credible when we talk about principles and then defend policies that squarely contradict these principles.

Why should we change this system? Because it is inefficient and fundamentally unfair to Canadian consumers and to our farmers.
    http://business.financialpost.com/fp...ves-to-join-me

^agreed, but those are "sacred cows".

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Of all things, a foreign policy institute?!

What is this going to be? "The Harper School for How to Make the International Community Dislike You"?

I wonder what he will research.. "Advanced studies in losing prestige on the world stage"? "101 ways to get snubbed at international events"?

What is this going to be? "The Harper School for How to Make the International Community Dislike You"?
    You could probably get a teaching job there.

^zing.......................
    Nice one.

C2E Continued Contributor

^agreed, but those are "sacred cows".
    For whom?

Quote Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
    No one could ever be so effective at fostering international dislike as Harpie.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Maybe I will. Not that you'll know - a core part of the institutional policy is to skip group photographs and public meetings.

Maybe I will. Not that you'll know - a core part of the institutional policy is to skip group photographs and public meetings.
    That'd be such a waste for you considering your daily Edmonton photographs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast