Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Future of Federal Conservative Party

Quote Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
    That'd be such a waste for you considering your daily Edmonton photographs.
    Hahaha. I think your tinfoil hat is on too tight, doubly so. Once, for thinking Jaerdo is EDP & secondly for butchering your attempt at calling him out so spectacularly.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Hahaha. I think your tinfoil hat is on too tight, doubly so. Once, for thinking Jaerdo is EDP & secondly for butchering your attempt at calling him out so spectacularly.

Sounds like we found Harper another potential professor.

Sounds like we found Harper another potential professor.
    Never voted Conservative a day in my life. Yet another swing & a miss for Mr. SemenShoestore!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Never voted Conservative a day in my life. Yet another swing & a miss for Mr. SemenShoestore!
    Satire isn't your forte' is it?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

No, it's simple trolling. All just a gimmick for an online laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Noodle?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Pretty much. I try to return some of the laughs I've gotten from C2E back in my own special way.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Former cabinet minister Peter MacKay says he will not run for leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada.
    "After much soul searching, advice from trusted friends, and weighing of the impact on my young family, I have decided not to seek the leadership of the party," the Nova Scotia native said in a release late Monday afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pete...758970?cmp=rss
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Good to hear from the candidates themselves. Getting past the annoying hosts is a trial but the answers and conversation are worthy. http://www.canadalandshow.com/podcas...ng-brad-trost/

No wonder Jason Kenney hightailed it to Alberta looking for future work. Chong and Bernier would be eating his lunch by now and even this Trost character would be thumping him in the social conservative playground. Kenney is a paste-eater.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    Former cabinet minister Peter MacKay says he will not run for leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada.
    "After much soul searching, advice from trusted friends, and weighing of the impact on my young family, I have decided not to seek the leadership of the party," the Nova Scotia native said in a release late Monday afternoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pete...758970?cmp=rss
    He knows JT will have four more years, before people get really tired of him. Peter will be back after that!

Yeah, Top_Dawg figgers as much.

MacKay likely thinks that the next election is not winnable and is setting his sights on the next leadership race.

Ambrose too.

But hey .

In politics anything can happen.

Three years is a long time.

Would be hilarious if JT so fuqs it up that he becomes a one termer.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 13-09-2016 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Yeah, Top_Dawg figgers as much.

MacKay likely thinks that the next election is not winnable and is setting his sights on the next leadership race.

Ambrose too.

But hey .

In politics anything can happen.

Three years is a long time.

Would be hilarious if JT so fuqs it up that he becomes a one termer.
    Or the party punts him!...

"It's quite generous" what an understatement. They're happy anyway. What a load of crap.
    And that's at age 55!!!!

Both Harper and Kenney are slated to receive more than $120,000 in annual MP pension pay at age 55 (in Harper’s case, it would kick in immediately after he resigns) and well over $5 million in total payments assuming they live to age 90, according to figures calculated by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

“It’s quite generous — but we are happy to see that reforms are now in place that will see MPs pay for a much bigger portion of their own pensions,” said Aaron Wudrick, federal director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...fought-against

Thumbs up

He said the poll is good news for Kenney, the former Conservative MP who is campaigning for the Tory leadership on a platform of merging the PCs with the Wildrose. The other declared contestants so far in the leadership race, Donna Kennedy-Glans, Byron Nelson, Sandra Jansen and Richard Starke, have opposed the merger proposal.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/10/18/poll-finds-alberta-pcs-leading-and-strong-backing-for-unite-the-right

Here is the future for the CONS....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kevi...ping-1.3988057

O'Leary is about as useless (for different reasons) as Trudeau, both of them about as much use as an inflatable dart board.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Long Term Contributor

MP laughed at for his bus-driving past? Elitist attitudes persist in politics, experts say

http://globalnews.ca/news/3253664/so...dian-politics/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

That's very ignorant laughing about Sohi. The guy got where he is because he worked at it then worked at it some more. I too voted for one MP in my area simply because he was the only one I seen in my area going door to door talking to people. And the fact he was wearing an Oiler jersey sealed the deal.
    Yes, their are political elitists across all party lines. It seems once they get the vote of the people they forget they got the vote of the people and start looking after themselves. The longer they are in the game the more elitist they get. Some start off as elitist and let's face it nobody wants to downgrade. Although elitist does not equal qualifications, I Q or eradicate pr*cks.
    As for women in politics. The so called progressive western world is so far behind in the way women in politics. Peron, Bhutto, Thatcher, Meir all held high positions for fairly lengthy times. Unfortunately there are a lot of women (especially in the U S A) who would vote for any women just to have them in a high position. As for Canada, if the right women came along I'm sure they would be noticed. Unfortunately, none have fit the bill so far(except one) and she took over as someone was retiring.

^agreed, it was ignorant.

NEWS FLASH: Kevin O'Leary is a frickin idiot
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-offend-us-all

But whether you like or loathe Notley and her policies, O’Leary’s tactics should give Albertans pause.

Either O’Leary is an ignoramus, who has no idea how the Constitution works, or he’s hoping to mislead voters who actually are that ignorant.

Canada is a confederation of provinces, which have control over their own budgets, their own resources, their own tax policies. Premiers are elected by the people of their provinces. They don’t report to the prime minister. The prime minister isn’t their boss.

A particular prime minister might not approve of the way Quebec runs its daycare program, or the way New Brunswick runs its school system or the way Saskatchewan operates its carbon capture initiative. But a prime minister doesn’t get to backseat drive, in areas of provincial jurisdiction. Nor does the House of Commons.

Alberta, in particular, fought furiously, for decades, to win control over its natural resources and its natural resource policy. Wherever you fall on the political spectrum, you should be wary of any would-be prime minister, from any party, who thinks that Ottawa should be calling the shots, and telling us how to run our own province.

“I can’t have her running the number one piston of economic growth in Canada into the ground,” O’Leary told his Newfoundland audience. “The transfer payments out of Alberta in the last 35 years funded practically every province. And it’s broken.”

So is that how a leading candidate for the Conservative Party of Canada leadership sees Alberta? As a cash cow, whose role it is to underwrite the rest of the country, without murmur — while he can threaten to cut off transfer payments here, if he doesn’t happen to agree with a provincial environmental or economic policy? Does he imagine the prime minister as the feudal overlord of Canada, and the provinces as vassal states, meekly tithing to Ottawa?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I loved his attack on the useless NDP !

C2E SME

Yeah, constitution be damned! All hail Imperial King O'Leary!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

I didn't say that,did I now..lol

Can anyone imagine the reaction from right-wingers if a Liberal or NDP federal politician had said he wants to take control of Alberta's economy, because the rest of the country needs to keep the transfer payments coming?!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Yeah, but his views on how federalism works are so bizarre, that it's kind of beside the point to praise him for a boilerplate attack on Notley.

Businessman Kevin O'Leary will use 4:30 pm ET appearance in Toronto to announce he is pulling out of federal Conservative leadership race. Kevin O'Leary is throwing his support behind candidate Maxime Bernier instead of continuing to run himself, CBC has learned. The reason? O'Leary felt he could win the Tory leadership race but could not win a general election because of his lack of French fluency.

O'Leary could not win an argument never mind an election. His backing down probably has more to do with lack of backing (from anyone). He hardly lite a match under the leadership race. What a snooze fest.

C2E SME

I'm no O'Leary fan, quite the opposite. But he has lots of backing among the general Conservative membership and especially among the general populace. He's regularly polled in first or second place in the race since he entered it. But he has next to no support among the party brass or current MP's. It's for the best. He would have made a terrible Conservative leader for a variety of reasons.

It'll be interesting to see if Bernier locks it up or not. I don't agree with a few of his policy positions and am generally not a Conservative voter, but out of anyone in the race at least Bernier seems to have meaningful and different policy positions. Like getting rid of supply management in dairy/poultry, for example. And he doesn't appear to have any social conservative in him (my main problem with the party since the merge).

I think this is Berniers to lose. Just watched him on CTV, quite impressed how much he has grown..WTG Kevin saying you had no support in Quebec, plus missing debates for the french rreson..he knew what was wrong!

I would say another rat off of a sinking ship but the CON ship sunk a long time ago and will remain that way.

I think the lefties feel that JT can be beaten in the next election.. lol

I think without Bernier they don't have a hope of beating Trudeau in Quebec or the east for that matter. They needed him at the helm to trounce Trudeau. They won't vote for someone from Sask over JT

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I think without Bernier they don't have a hope of beating Trudeau in Quebec or the east for that matter. They needed him at the helm to trounce Trudeau. They won't vote for someone from Sask over JT
    I think they made the safer choice and he might be best able to keep the existing conservative coalition together fairly well. However, I don't think he will be able to broaden it much. They probably should have picked someone from Ontario this time, there were a couple of candidates there that might have worked out good for them, who might have appealed to the suburban Toronto (905) voters they need to get back.

Bernier would have been an exciting, but more risky choice. However, I could see it being more likely to not work out successfully. I think his libertarian approach would have been very hard to sell in Quebec and probably in much of eastern and rural Canada too.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Speak for yourself. I'm left with the impression that the Cons finally woke up at the 11th hour. Who the hell would vote for Maxime Bernier or want him as PM or leader of a party?

First of all another Quebec leader, which would make the leaders of all 3 parties pandering to Quebec and representing Quebec ridings. What on Earth, what kind of Canadian representation is that? Its completely inacceptable and I couldn't imagine the Nation wide howls if all the leaders hailed from BC, Alberta, or Sask.

I dare say the rest of Canada might approve of somebody outside of Quebec being in the federal conversation.

Next who would vote for a leader with criminal biker ties, with a criminally affiliated biker girl friend. Or that leaves private documents around for those to conveniently get exposed? A Quebec PM with potential criminal ties or affiliation? That was a died in the wool separatist and that voted against Canada? No thanks. Those are convictions. Wrong convictions, and poor vision. In another country they would be considered treasonous visions.

I didn't get the appeal of Bernier, probably because integrity is a first consideration. Its a prerequisite IMHO. More Quebec vice and influence in the PMO? Forget it.

Bullet dodged.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-05-2017 at 06:08 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Listening to the two speeches, I favoured Scheer. I chose him from day one, mostly because I've seen him during QP. He's asked some pretty great questions, and left Trudeau umming and errring.Could he beat Trudeau, we will have to see over the next year and a half. Trudeau has let people down, made far too many promises, and our debt is mounting, much like the debt in this province.I'm thrilled for Andrew, and it was nice to see a good race between him and Bernier not end in a bitter result.( like Chretien /Martin)

I dare say the rest of Canada might approve of somebody outside of Quebec being in the federal conversation.

I heard on the radio that one factor was Bernier talking about removing farm subsidies etc.

Maxime Bernier: I’m coming out against supply management — and I want all Conservatives to join me – Financial Post

https://www.google.ca/amp/business.f...to-join-me/amp

Bolding was mine

Maybe he was too ideological, too conservative, too little pragmatic for them?

Counterpoint: Ending supply management didn’t help Australians and it won’t help Canadians

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/fp...help-canadians
    Last edited by KC; 28-05-2017 at 10:03 AM.

It's interesting that, to me, both leaders have an "effeminate" quality to them. Just a personal observation. I usually ignore the subjective so it doesn't affect my judgement, just find people's mannerisms (inate or not) interesting.
    Last edited by KC; 28-05-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Another repulsively well-fed jowly face talking about prosperity -- for its ilk alone.

It is utterly sickening.

Only well-meaning fools and knaves believe there is any integrity whatever in the pigsty that just chose its head porker.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 28-05-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Maybe he'll be on the outside looking in? Oops,no that JT.lol

https://www.rt.com/document/592a7f1a...442b8b4577/amp

He looked very involved in every news flick I've seen, maybe he's thinking of Sophie and the kids in that shot so they made a fake news story out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Another repulsively well-fed jowly face talking about prosperity -- for its ilk alone.

It is utterly sickening.

Only well-meaning fools and knaves believe there is any integrity whatever in the pigsty that just chose its head porker.
    Not even a day on the job yet but you've already slam dunked him. I think you know nothing about him at all so you should wait for a while before flinging the bullshet.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Maybe he'll be on the outside looking in? Oops,no that JT.lol

https://www.rt.com/document/592a7f1a...442b8b4577/amp
    RT is the definition of fake news, by the way. It's literally the propaganda arm of the Kremlin. I would strongly advise that you take everything they report on with a massive grain of salt. Or better yet, ignore it entirely.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts...ticle34225303/

Now, if you’re a thinking person with a reasonable level of skepticism, Russia Today might seem ridiculous. A blatantly biased news machine furthering the views of Vladimir Putin and attempting to present the world from his point of view. The EU is about to crumble. It makes sense that Marine Le Pen should lead France. And by the way, this obsession with Russia and its connections to the Trump White House is ridiculous. “When it comes to Russia, the details don’t matter,” sneered an RT staff pundit the other day, aiming his umbrage at MSNBC.

But it’s not funny. It’s a bracing, brazen example of skewing the news coverage. And it is not without power and influence. It is commonly accepted that RT pays American cable and satellite companies handsomely to carry the channel. It has a lot of money to spend and has slick, well-staffed channels in several countries.
    Congratulations on becoming one of Putin's useful idiots: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Useful_*****

edit: The ridiculous filtering breaks that link, but it's easy enough to find for yourself.

In political jargon, a useful ***** is a person perceived as a propagandist for a cause whose goals of which they are not fully aware, and who is used cynically by the leaders of the cause.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123