Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ward 12 By-Election: Who will replace Sohi?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Ward 12 By-Election: Who will replace Sohi?

With Amarjeet Sohi being elected to Parliament (recount still possible), who will run to replace him? Who should run?

City looking to hold the by-election in February:

Provincial laws require Edmonton to call a byelection within 90 days of Sohi’s departure, but that would push the municipal campaign into the holiday season, said Laura Kennedy, the city’s returning officer.

She said the city will seek permission to postpone byelection nominations until mid-January and hold the vote in mid-February.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-woods-recount

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    With Amarjeet Sohi being elected to Parliament (recount still possible), who will run to replace him? Who should run?
    Look toward recently unemployed MLAs/MPs or defeated candidates from other parties. Wouldn't it be a strange twist of fate for Tim Uppal to win the seat?

^It would be hilarious if Sohail Quadri ran.

(Of course, it would be a Greek tragedy if he won, so I should be careful what I wish for.)

C2E Long Term Contributor

Chinwe Okelu seems to run in just about every election held in Millwoods
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Arundeep Singh Sandhu, a former PC official/party activist, will run: https://www.facebook.com/arundeep.sa...56192400390652

Danisha Bhaloo first to contest Amarjeet Sohi's vacant Edmonton council seat

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...ncil-seat.html

Danisha Bhaloo announced on social media Tuesday that she would be seeking the Ward 12 seat that Sohi is vacating.

She said she feels a need to serve the community.

“The city has done a lot for me and my family and I would like to give back,” she said.

Bhaloo currently works with Big Brothers Big Sisters and the Boys and Girls Club of Edmonton, while also holding a number of volunteer board positions including the Edmonton Opera and sitting on the University of Alberta’s senate.

She said especially during these economic times, families are facing difficulties and she hopes to be a voice for them.

Arundeep Singh enters Edmonton Ward 12 council race

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...d-12-race.html

With former councillor Amarjeet Sohi taking a cabinet post in Ottawa, another person has joined the race to fill his former seat on council.

Arundeep Singh announced he will contest the Ward 12 council seat Wednesday. He praised Sohi’s efforts in the ward, but hopes to bring a new voice.

“I think it’s time for a fresh perspective,” he said.

Singh, who currently works in his family’s gravel trucking business, said he has a strong connection to the area.

“I was born and raised in the ward. I have grown up here and worked here all my life.”

Singh said Edmonton has to start thinking and managing projects like a big city, on par with Toronto or Vancouver.

He also said he wants to be a restraint on the city’s purse strings.

“I am hearing from a lot of people that a 4.9 per cent [tax] increase is kind of a hard pill to swallow,” he said. “We need to be conscious of the economic climate we are in.”
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 04-11-2015 at 05:41 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

17???

That's almost enough for an entire council election...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I think half of Millwoods is running!

Hi guys, Arundeep Sandhu here. I am indeed running for city council in Ward 12 this winter. Looking forward to being more active on here in the coming years!
    Candidate for Edmonton City Council Ward 12

Partially Addicted to C2E

Yup. Quite a gaggle (or is it a murder, flock, etc) of candidates want to throw their hats into the ring. Other than Laura, don't think I have heard of or crossed paths with any of them.

Should be an interesting election.....

In a field this big, it really could be anyone's game. It's a shame there isn't a runoff or a ranked ballot system in place for a crowded race like this.

Another big problem with so many candidates would be the forums. Unless the forums themselves take a few hours, candidates will barely have enough time to properly communicate their platforms and answers to questions, and much time wasted on fringe candidates.

I witnessed this during the last municipal election when Ward 6 had 16 candidates to choose from, and had to put up some ridiculous dreck from the lunatic fringe while there were maybe 3 serious candidates listening to.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 17-12-2015 at 01:43 PM.

29 candidates

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Perhaps one advantage of the large field of candidates is that each person will really have to sell why he/she is the best candidate, rather than wasting time badmouthing the other candidates. In a field of 4 or 5, the tendency could be to focus on the flaws of the other candidates, while with a field of (currently) 29 or even fewer (assuming a few will drop out by nomination day), it would take too long to itemize the faults of others.

Thank goodness I don't have to vote in this one.

A bit worried we get someone pretty random.

Quote Originally Posted by Arundeep View Post
    Hi guys, Arundeep Sandhu here. I am indeed running for city council in Ward 12 this winter. Looking forward to being more active on here in the coming years!
    Hi Arundeep.

What makes you different from the other 28?

Just kidding. But seriously, two questions for you:

1. If elected would you consider yourself a representative of Millwoods, or one of Edmonton?

2. What do you see as the top three challenges for the City to overcome in the next ten years?

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Thank goodness I don't have to vote in this one.

A bit worried we get someone pretty random.
    I'm worried we get a Wildroser like Kyle McLeod or Laura Thibert, or a Conservative like Arundeep. Someone could plausibly win this seat with only 10% of the vote.

This is surreal.

29 candidates?

Theres no ballot I've ever seen that would accommodate something like that. No electoral process that would avoid confusion around the vast degree of candidates running.

So thus there can be no valid debate, no valid indepth commentary in print, no valid attempt by voters to get reasonable information from 29 candidates and do anything but an attempt at making an informed choice.

Also I'll comment that break ins in Edmonton are often facilitated through people first knocking at the front door. Which is a tactic that has been used in my neighborhood recently.

It really is disconcerting to have countless unannounced strangers knocking at the door. 29 is just ridiculous. We've had half a dozen already. This entirely opens the door for predators to use a tactic at this time to just say "Its so and so running for the election" and they could use any name and we wouldn't be the wiser.

Is there a limit on number of candidates that can run? What are the current requirements. Formerly you needed a list of referrals, fee, etc. Is the process too lax now?

I don't feel that more candidates to this degree is an improvement in the democratic process. This will largely be a popularity contest only. Whoever knows the most people and gets a couple thousand or so votes will win.

The winning candidate will probably have around 5-10% of electoral support in the riding.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-01-2016 at 10:24 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It's going to be quite interesting on this upcoming ballot. We'll have to see what the final number will be come nomination day.

The Mill Woods Presidents' Council will be hosting a Ward 12 All Candidates Forum on Wednesday, February 17 at J. Percy Page HS.

Currently wrestling with the format. How will we run this forum with 20+ Candidates and try to keep it to a couple of hours. Most of the current list of candidates we don't know which makes us wonder why they are running and how good they will be, if elected.

Any suggestions?

https://twitter.com/estolte/status/691689116262469632
    Elise Stolte ‏@estolte
    We're going over 30! Don Koziak is entering the race. Familiar name from the airport fight. #yegcc #ward12
    Good lord, this guy never gives up

What is it with people? Seems like everyone and their dog is throwing their hat into the ring. The economy must really be bad ... LOL

Oh Don, don't ever change
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...cil-byelection

this is the eighth time around for Chateau Louis Hotel and Conference Centre general manager Don Koziak, who said he wants a referendum on whether to build the $1.8-billion southeast LRT, slated to start construction this spring. “I would rather they spend it on interchanges in the city.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Bergdahl View Post
    It's going to be quite interesting on this upcoming ballot. We'll have to see what the final number will be come nomination day.

The Mill Woods Presidents' Council will be hosting a Ward 12 All Candidates Forum on Wednesday, February 17 at J. Percy Page HS.

Currently wrestling with the format. How will we run this forum with 20+ Candidates and try to keep it to a couple of hours. Most of the current list of candidates we don't know which makes us wonder why they are running and how good they will be, if elected.

Any suggestions?
    32 people registered as candidates unofficially. Guess they have until tomorrow to pull out.

Way too many candidates for a traditional public forum. Maybe consider a political speed-dating format. Here's an article on how such an event worked in Whitehorse where there were overlapping municipal and federal elections last fall.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/...ates-1.3252522

Quote Originally Posted by Arundeep View Post
    Hi Arundeep.

What makes you different from the other 28?

Just kidding. But seriously, two questions for you:

1. If elected would you consider yourself a representative of Millwoods, or one of Edmonton?

2. What do you see as the top three challenges for the City to overcome in the next ten years?
    This guys not making a very good first impression. He's not even elected yet and he's mastered the art of not answering questions.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Any suggestions?

With +30 candidates I second the notion of a speed date statement by candidates. With a 2min limit and with approx. 30 secs to 1minute delays to be expected between speakers this would itself take 1.5 or more hrs. To allow candidates to speak any more than that would give earlier speakers a decided advantage. Attention spans will wane, Attendance will wane.

A candidates debate is pretty much out of the question. What I would do to set up this is to have each Candidate attend a table before and after the forum where they can distribute materials, have their platform posted, answer questions etc. I would allow up to 1hr before and up to hour after for people to be able to mill around the different tables to ask questions and interact with the different candidates.

Just read through the candidate list and statements. Some of the reasons for running are so specious. A dozen of these appear to be looking for a job, period.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-01-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    It's going to be quite interesting on this upcoming ballot...

The Mill Woods Presidents' Council will be hosting a Ward 12 All Candidates Forum on Wednesday, February 17 at J. Percy Page HS...

Any suggestions?
    With +30 candidates I second the notion of a speed date statement by candidates. With a 2min limit and with approx. 30 secs to 1minute delays to be expected between speakers this would itself take 1.5 or more hrs. To allow candidates to speak any more than that would give earlier speakers a decided advantage. Attention spans will wane, Attendance will wane.

A candidates debate is pretty much out of the question. What I would do to set up this is to have each Candidate attend a table before and after the forum where they can distribute materials, have their platform posted, answer questions etc. I would allow up to 1hr before and up to hour after for people to be able to mill around the different tables to ask questions and interact with the different candidates.

Just read through the candidate list and statements. Some of the reasons for running are so specious. A dozen of these appear to be looking for a job, period.
    Good points. I am leaning towards a brief statement by the candidates at the beginning, closing with a 30 minute table session. I might also throw in a surprise in the middle.

With this Cluster of Councillor Candidates, a traditional forum won't work. Just not enough time.

daveberta's column is also worth a read, since he has more details such as social media links, party links and endorsements:
    http://daveberta.ca/2016/01/edmonton...on-candidates/
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 26-01-2016 at 10:31 PM.

Shane, I would also make the following suggestion for your forum ... as you might know from previous elections, forums are often more heavily attended by decided supporters of candidates than by undecided voters. You may want to consider having neutral volunteers at each candidate's table (or if you can't get 32, then floating between tables) to keep an eye on the discussions. I could see candidates sending "plants" to other candidates' tables to try to dominate the discussions around a single irrelevant issue to limit the amount of time the candidate has to present their platform to undecided voters.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've been through an election or two.

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised View Post
    Shane, I would also make the following suggestion for your forum ... as you might know from previous elections, forums are often more heavily attended by decided supporters of candidates than by undecided voters. You may want to consider having neutral volunteers at each candidate's table (or if you can't get 32, then floating between tables) to keep an eye on the discussions. I could see candidates sending "plants" to other candidates' tables to try to dominate the discussions around a single irrelevant issue to limit the amount of time the candidate has to present their platform to undecided voters.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've been through an election or two.
    Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Not my first time at the rodeo either.

Sorry, I guess that came across wrong in print -- I know you've been around for a while. I meant it more in a "I've had the joy of experiencing these tactics" kind of way. Hope I didn't offend!

Sorry, I guess that came across wrong in print -- I know you've been around for a while. I meant it more in a "I've had the joy of experiencing these tactics" kind of way. Hope I didn't offend!
    LOL ... No offense taken. I have thick skin anyways.

I'm not in this ward but I have a feeling that voter turn out will be low. There's too many people in the race. Voters probably think what's the point of voting. Most of them will not know what platform any of these candidates are standing on and with there being so many they are not going to bother to find out. To much noise in a small room.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I'm not in this ward but I have a feeling that voter turn out will be low. There's too many people in the race. Voters probably think what's the point of voting. Most of them will not know what platform any of these candidates are standing on and with there being so many they are not going to bother to find out. To much noise in a small room.
    Yep. i'm in the riding. Easy enough to whittle down the half of them that don't have a chance of getting my vote but not really enough to go on to even determine a topten.

Thanks to SDM btw on the links. That's at least some info.

Could be a tough one for voters to pick someone. I should imagine a lot of the votes will go to candidates that people know personally. If you don't know any of them personally could be difficult to find one that outshines the rest of the pack.

6 candidates in Ward 12 byelection have had run-ins with the law

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-law-1.3436344

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Default Are Municipal Politics Partisan or Non-Partisan

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...binet-minister

This is a topic that raises a number of interesting issues

Firstly, civic politics in Edmonton is pretty much free or deemed to be free - for better or for worse - from overt party politics whether or not those parties are affiliated with provincial or federal political parties. Whether that is good or not good for civic politicians and civic voters is not a simple "yes or no" choice.

Regardless of our individual feelings on what that answer should be, there seems to be more than a little concern about how this candidate has "compromised" the perceived impartiality of civic politics. I'm not sure that is the case but it does bring us to a second and related issue

If we want civic politics to remain free from outside participation by overt party politics attempting to influence the outcome of municipal elections, is that a one way street or is it a two way street? Can we expect to avoid party politics and still allow civic politicians to actively lobby and fundraise for candidates and to try and influence the outcome of provincial and federal election outcomes by supporting their chosen candidates and/or political parties?

While it can be said that "they are only single voters and entitled to provide the same support as other citizens", if that support is being provided not as individuals but as councillors as is so often the case, is not the mandate they have been given by municipal voters of even more weight and influence than that given by party politics that can have as many "against" as "for" the party? After all, they have to interact and negotiate with those other levels of government over many issues and in many forums.

If the municipal mandate is deemed to be a non-partisan one, is not using it to support a candidate or a party even more dangerous than having recognized party involvement in municipal elections (something where a case could well be made that a party would introduce more transparency and accountability than feigned non-partisanship)?

This should not be either a hardship or unique for councillors to remain non-partisan when it comes to elections at other levels any more than it is a hardship for judges whose ethical principals include the following: “all partisan political activity and association must cease absolutely and unequivocally with the assumption of [judicial] office.”
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

This is a topic that raises a number of interesting issues...
    It sure does. My personal feeling is we should keep Parties out of Municipal elections. This (imo) means someone with the passion, knowledge and drive can run for municipal office and actually have a chance to win.

The problem with Party politics (again, imo) is it drives up the costs to run and raises the suspicion that one may vote the "party" way as opposed to the Ward or City way.

Some of the current Candidates have quite a mechanism working for them (signage, canvassers, endorsements, fundraising) that makes me wonder if the Parties are already playing the game.

But I could just be a little .... touched

Unwanted election signs irk Edmonton homeowner
    Rogue campaign signs in the Ward 12 race have Jaclyn Gallop seeing red
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...wner-1.3440448

Jaclyn Gallop has had enough with the municipal election signs that keep cropping up in her backyard.

Gallop remains undecided on who to vote for in the crowded Ward 12 race, but after several signs she didn't request were screwed into her back fence, a handful of the 32 potential candidates were quickly scratched off her list.

"I have four offenders that I'm not going to vote for," said Gallop during a Tuesday morning interview on Edmonton AM.

Gallop, who lives on the corner of 91st Street. and Ellerslie Road says the unwelcome signs have been posted by candidates Field Pieterse, Danisha Bhaloo, Arundeep Singh Sandhu, and Mohinder Banga.

Reports of group outside Edmonton Ward 12 poll who may be intimidating voters
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...n-ward-12.html

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Are the candidates sorting themselves yet? Usually when you have a massive field, there are two or three "real" candidates and the rest are job seekers.

That Ward needs a "real" councilor given that the Valley Line will be wending its way through those neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    Are the candidates sorting themselves yet? Usually when you have a massive field, there are two or three "real" candidates and the rest are job seekers.

That Ward needs a "real" councilor given that the Valley Line will be wending its way through those neighborhoods.
    The Valley Line will eventually hit Ward 12, but the construction that is currently planned is only going as far as Mill Woods Town Centre, which is still firmly in Ward 11.

I'm still surprised that nearly all of the candidates who declared their intention to run prior to nomination day still carried through with it. I really expected it to drop to more like 20. I think there are only half a dozen who actually have a chance of winning. My concern is that with so large a field, voters may use arbitrary reasons to narrow down their choices (e.g., won't vote for anyone who puts up signs, won't vote for someone who left a brochure in my *gasp* "no flyers" mailbox).

I hope that when making their choice, Ward 12 voters consider the fact that their councillor will be coming into an established city council and that the learning curve will be even steeper for the newbie for things like how meetings run (Robert's Rules of Order), how city administration is set up, etc. No matter how well meaning, if you don't have some experience with governance, large organizations, dealing with the community or even simply managing other people's expectations, it is going to be quite overwhelming and you're not going to be able to be very effective. And you had better brush up on your speed reading skills, because the amount of background material they get sometimes for council meetings (and the short notice with which administration provides it) is insane.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The person who wins, will be because they had the biggest family

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I hope that when making their choice, Ward 12 voters consider the fact that their councillor will be coming into an established city council and that the learning curve will be even steeper for the newbie for things like how meetings run (Robert's Rules of Order), how city administration is set up, etc. No matter how well meaning, if you don't have some experience with governance, large organizations, dealing with the community or even simply managing other people's expectations, it is going to be quite overwhelming and you're not going to be able to be very effective. And you had better brush up on your speed reading skills, because the amount of background material they get sometimes for council meetings (and the short notice with which administration provides it) is insane.
    This is a really good summary of why I think the wrong candidate will experience shell shock if they actually get elected. I, personally, have a lot of respect for those who can do this job adequately because I'm aware of some of the skillsets required and aggravations endured. I especially like your reference to speed reading because a lot of people can't do that.

There was an article quoting a couple of current councilors where they surmised that people think the job resembles the few news clips they see of standing behind a podium sounding wise. They have no idea that the other, larger, part of their workday is answering one tedious call after another and reading very large, very complex position papers in their spare time.

Sadly, I agree that the person with the largest family network has a great chance of winning.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

This is a topic that raises a number of interesting issues...
    It sure does. My personal feeling is we should keep Parties out of Municipal elections. This (imo) means someone with the passion, knowledge and drive can run for municipal office and actually have a chance to win.

The problem with Party politics (again, imo) is it drives up the costs to run and raises the suspicion that one may vote the "party" way as opposed to the Ward or City way.

Some of the current Candidates have quite a mechanism working for them (signage, canvassers, endorsements, fundraising) that makes me wonder if the Parties are already playing the game.

But I could just be a little .... touched
    we're all more than a little touched by this which is why it's important.

i fully understand the rationale - and the optics - of keeping municipal politics non-partisan. and on an emotional level it's easy to agree with the rationale.

whether it is possible to maintain that non-partisanship is the crux of the discussion. and if it is going to be maintained, it has to be "real" and not simply kept "behind the scenes".

as you noted, there is quite a mechanism available for some already. perhaps that should be in front of and not behind the scenes so that 30 plus candidates can be vetted prior to election day?

if we are going to try and instill/maintain a non-partisan relationship in municipal politics however, i believe the same effort needs to go into making that a two-way street and not a one-way street.

if we want it to be inappropriate for parties or politicians at other levels of government to be able to try and influence election results at the municipal level through fund-raising and appearances etc., it should be equally inappropriate for a mayor or councillors to try and influence election results at other levels of government through fund-raising and appearances etc.

as for costs, it could be viewed the other way - if there is a party that predominantly reflects your view, running for that party would presumable see some of the costs involved being paid for by other than the candidate him or herself. as far as their voting "the party way", a party is more likely to provide the electorate with an accurate depiction of how they will vote on a broad range of issues than an individual candidate with no track record and no subsequent accountability or need to be consistent.

as noted previously, a number of interesting issues...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Another first rate column from Mark Bonokoski in yesterday's Sun.

With cameo appearance by our honorable former councillor for Ward 12.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/02/1...g-entitlements

Top_Dawg loves these gems.

We need a lot more Gerard Deltells in public office.

And a lot less of the likes of Sohi, Webber, and Hehr.

I would have a hard time picking from that list. Not many that stand out as fiscally responsible.

See daveberta's blog on candidate info, posted earlier in this thread

Mack Male also has a blog that discusses candidates and issues
    http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2016/02/11/...il-in-ward-12/

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Another first rate column from Mark Bonokoski in yesterday's Sun.

With cameo appearance by our honorable former councillor for Ward 12.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/02/1...g-entitlements

Top_Dawg loves these gems.

We need a lot more Gerard Deltells in public office.

And a lot less of the likes of Sohi, Webber, and Hehr.
    Good article.

Dingwall: "I'm entitled to entitlement"

lol The money quote where boot is planted firmly in ones own mouth.

Where do these people come from?

Sohi has defended his take resolutely and is less inclined to budge or listen to feedback as much as he seems to get credited for. People not in the ward tend to see him as very kind, generous, magnanimous, and open minded.

He's a whole lot more self serving than is generally perceived.

This is the key in the article though;

That’s a perspective that needs punctuating; that, and the fact that “transition allowance” is supposed to help defeated politicians move back into the private sector, not give them a cushion for seamlessly moving from one public job to another.
    Now it needs to be understood that Sohi is moving to higher paying public office with higher rolling friends and so the transition is not so arduous..
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-02-2016 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    I would have a hard time picking from that list. Not many that stand out as fiscally responsible.
    Theres not many that stand out as qualified or anything other than one issue candidates.

A full dozen of these candidates are primarily looking for a job.

The great Millwoods unemployment byelection of 2016.

Default Ward 12 Forum - Feb 17

Just a reminder for those that live in Ward 12.

On Wednesday Feb 17 there will be a Candidates Forum at J. Percy Page High School. Doors open at 6:30 PM, Forum begins at 7 PM sharp.

Candidates will have 3 minutes to tell us why we should vote for them. The Forum will then break up into clusters so people can listen to the various candidates and/or ask questions of them. Kind of like speed dating, I have been told.

Everyone out by 9:30 PM. We are also accepting donations for the Food Bank at the door.

This sounds even fuglier than speed dating night at The Gas Pump.

So I just took a superficial sample tour of candidate webpages.

Check out Koziak's. Best address ever (http://www.donkoziak.ca/Don_Koziak/Don_Koziak.html), which tragically doesn't work, features Quicktime for a first in 10 years, half his name is cut off the bottom of my screen, and features the nicest friendliest picture of him I've ever seen (in eight elections...)

Wasn't the worst web page either.

Goodness help us...

An endorsement for Danisha Bhaloo
    http://blog.mastermaq.ca/2016/02/18/...e-for-ward-12/

David Staples: Who are the strongest Ward 12 candidates?
    http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...-12-candidates

AS a longstanding ward 12 resident of Millwoods I am shocked, astounded, if not offended, how many of these cursory candidates are outright opponents of the LRT plan as set out. Many of them want no LRT or adamantly opposed to this LRT plan which at this point I find too late to oppose. This project is already shovel ready and proceding.

The position taken by these candidates does not at all understand, or encompass, that Millwoods residents have been waiting for LRT since the 1970's, have wanted LRT since the 1970's and want it now.

This position by these upstart candidates does not respect the longstanding work of community reps alderman, council, to get this project finally running.

I don't typically vote this way on one issue but I absolutely REFUSE to even consider voting for anybody running for this ward who could have such a shortsighted platform as to be opposed to the LRT for this ward. You lost votes period taking this position. You don't represent the plurality position of residents of Millwoods who WANT LRT.

I would encourage anybody that wants LRT for this riding to be careful NOT to vote for any of the shortsighted candidates who are opposed to the LRT for this riding. Not that it would likely impact but LRT is the most salient topic in this riding. It would be offputting at best, and very unhelpful, to have an aldermanic representative opposed to the biggest impetus in this riding.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-02-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    lol at the first comment to that blog;

"An endorsement from someone who can't vote in the election for someone who can't vote in the election."

States it perfectly.
    I have some concerns with the recommendation and why it is occurring. A person not livng in the riding endorsing a candidate that is not even living in the riding.

Is this representative of needs and interests in the riding?

The common thread here is that both endorser, and candidate tend to be social media butterfly movers and shakers. Friends probably. With one servicing the other here.

Also, important to mention that Bhaloo has been a vocal critic of the present LRT design and is apparently one of those seeking substantial revision, and therefore further delay in the project. That is a very problematic position to take at this point and one that does not match Millwoods interests and wants

Preet Toor, who Staples recommends would be a much more qualified, experienced, and mature candidate. She supports the current P3 Vallyey LRT project as is. So a plus on that as well.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-02-2016 at 03:54 PM.

So I just took a superficial sample tour of candidate webpages.

Check out Koziak's. Best address ever (http://www.donkoziak.ca/Don_Koziak/Don_Koziak.html), which tragically doesn't work, features Quicktime for a first in 10 years, half his name is cut off the bottom of my screen, and features the nicest friendliest picture of him I've ever seen (in eight elections...)

Wasn't the worst web page either.

Goodness help us...
    If we're evaluating candidates on the basis of what web pages look like..

not that I would ever vote Koziak but the social media and internet savvy are not the be all end all either.

David Staples: Where do Edmonton Ward 12 candidates stand on key issues?
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-on-key-issues

Some of the responses will make you laugh. Or cry. Or both.

Rory Koopman a misconduct and Danisha 2 minutes for looking so good.

The more I examine the candidates platforms the less inclined I am to vote for them. The more I read their answers the more uncomfortable I am.

I continue to feel that at least a dozen of these are awful candidates that would have difficulty being hired for a job. With those unfortunately making any discourse disturbing, uncivil, uncomfortable.

One candidate has even referred to all the others as bozos.

Theres at least half a dozen candidates that are complete Rhino party level joke candidates but whom apparently don't know it.

Another ten candidates seem to be basically students looking for first long term jobs.

Wasn't happy to learn of Preet Toors position on bikelanes which could have been much better worded by her but to me she's probably the most qualified candidate.

Arundeep Singh continues to come across as likely the brightest candidate and I have no issues with his lack of experience given that. He is a very fluid thinker. I even like his approach in campaign signs. he's utilized his signs to also remind people to drive slow in residential areas and promises to address that. That alone is a unique use of the signs and in impressing one of his visions.

Nav Kaur also with unique ideas and including revisiting civic reliance on property taxes and avoiding regressive tax. interesting candidate, certainly charismatic, but lacking clear experience. Campaign information very vague on what she has actually done. Intelligent though and would learn and adapt

Danisha Bhaloo seems nice enough but lacking maturity, well rounded career experience and I just don't know how she is suited for public office. Strikes me as more of a photo op lover and opportunist that gets by on persona than being a thinker. She's a tireless networker but that appears more agenda based as a means to this political end. In lieu of experience I feel that she would be a popular, but unqualified candidate. I fear actually that she will win with her many connections, large family, and that it will only take somebody 2-3K votes if that to win this byelection.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-02-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Yeah, too many to keep track of and just seems like a lot of them give the same stock answers. I am for safe communities, I am for children, I am for seniors, I am for lower taxes blah-blah. Saying the same thing as the other 20 people doesn't really help you stand out. Give specific examples as to how you're going to do things.

Also, promising a whole bunch of goodies and then saying you're also going to lower taxes shows me your lack of foresight because we all know that's not going to happen. I remember getting a flyer in the mail from one of the candidates, which wasn't proofread for errors to start, and this candidate wants to put crosswalk lights at every intersection in ward 12. Flashing lights on stop signs all the while saying he'll reduce taxes. How?

I will give props to Lincoln Ho and his website. He at least outlines specific ideas as to what he wants to do.

Other candidates that interested me. Nav Kaur and yeah, as Replacement mentioned kudos to Arundeep Singh for being unique with the whole campaign sign thing.

Now, which candidates actually live in the ward?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood View Post
    Yeah, too many to keep track of and just seems like a lot of them give the same stock answers. I am for safe communities, I am for children, I am for seniors, I am for lower taxes blah-blah. Saying the same thing as the other 20 people doesn't really help you stand out. Give specific examples as to how you're going to do things.

Also, promising a whole bunch of goodies and then saying you're also going to lower taxes shows me your lack of foresight because we all know that's not going to happen. I remember getting a flyer in the mail from one of the candidates, which wasn't proofread for errors to start, and this candidate wants to put crosswalk lights at every intersection in ward 12. Flashing lights on stop signs all the while saying he'll reduce taxes. How?

I will give props to Lincoln Ho and his website. He at least outlines specific ideas as to what he wants to do.

Other candidates that interested me. Nav Kaur and yeah, as Replacement mentioned kudos to Arundeep Singh for being unique with the whole campaign sign thing.

Agreed. Most of the campaigns are gearing to pad issues that are even non-issues in the ward. For instance several of the candidates are extensively speaking about action on crime mandates being necessary in Ward 12. Lincoln Ho goes as far to specifically mention all the "Robbing in Ellerslie". What on earth is he talking about?

I've lived in the ward for 3 decades now. Crime isn't even remotely an issue. Its essentially a non factor here. These candidates, several of whom don't even live in the ward are seemingly servicing erroneous reputation about crime in this ward rather than the actual case. Some of these candidates deserve to not be considered simply on that basis as it so illustrates how out of touch they are with actual ward issues. I could go a step further and state that though making crime an issue in this election these candidates are not at all representing this riding, but are furthering unfortunate mistruths about it. Inexcusable.

Just another connected note. Two of the campaigners are emphasizing past community service they have done. One of these, Danisha Bhaloo, is referencing Boys and Girls Club, Big Sister/Brothers and Corrections Canada none of which operate in Millwoods or have any significant connection with Millwoods. (One facility is located on 105st but a poor location certainly not meant to properly service Millwoods or Ellerslie)
    The other, Preet Toor, is referencing several years of her work with Millwoods Family Resource Center which IS a primary service in Millwoods, in this Ward 12, and that is significant to this ward and worthy of mention by the candidate. in other words that its relevant (very) to the ward.

Still encourage people to elect Preet Toor. She's the most ready to hit council running candidate. Several of the others would be out of place.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-02-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood View Post

Agreed. Most of the campaigns are gearing to pad issues that are even non-issues in the ward. For instance several of the candidates are extensively speaking about action on crime mandates being necessary in Ward 12. Lincoln Ho goes as far to specifically mention all the "Robbing in Ellerslie". What on earth is he talking about?

I've lived in the ward for 3 decades now. Crime isn't even remotely an issue. Its essentially a non factor here. These candidates, several of whom don't even live in the ward are seemingly servicing erroneous reputation about crime in this ward rather than the actual case. Some of these candidates deserve to not be considered simply on that basis as it so illustrates how out of touch they are with actual ward issues. I could go a step further and state that though making crime an issue in this election these candidates are not at all representing this riding, but are furthering unfortunate mistruths about it. Inexcusable.

Just another connected note. Two of the campaigners are emphasizing past community service they have done. One of these, Danisha Bhaloo, is referencing Boys and Girls Club, Big Sister/Brothers and Corrections Canada none of which operate in Millwoods or have any significant connection with Millwoods. (One facility is located on 105st but a poor location certainly not meant to properly service Millwoods or Ellerslie)
    The other, Preet Toor, is referencing several years of her work with Millwoods Family Resource Center which IS a primary service in Millwoods, in this Ward 12, and that is significant to this ward and worthy of mention by the candidate. in other words that its relevant (very) to the ward.

Still encourage people to elect Preet Toor. She's the most ready to hit council running candidate. Several of the others would be out of place.
    Crime is definitely not something I'd be basing my campaign on as the majority of the crime in the area is of the theft from vehicle or theft of vehicle variety. Most of which are crimes of opportunity due to people not locking the car or leaving it running with the keys inside.

The break and enters are primarily in areas where you have garages that have a back lane. A problem that comes with that style of house so its not a problem exclusive to this area.

And, yeah, Ho got that crime thing from a new neighborhood that's being developed. Now I've lived in a neighborhood that was under construction and you will have shady activities going on. I'm talking street races, I'm talking people parking at dead end streets and having sex, cars broken into due to parking in non lit areas or in places where people aren't living in yet etc. Not a major concern. Bottomline, its up to you to be watchful and report things to the police on their non-emergency line. I noticed people stealing construction material one time and contacted the police, they sent a patrol unit out fairly quickly and got it taken care of.

Oh, and I do like the looking at over occupancy of houses. Like seriously, if you go in some neighborhoods the streets are lined with cars essentially turning neighborhood roads into one lane only. Laurel is a great example of this.
    Last edited by Doc Hollywood; 21-02-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Wouldn't mind seeing either Nav Kaur or Danisha Bhaloo win. Platforms aside, a bit more diversity would be nice on a council full of old white guys and one old white female. But I think those two are the favorites due to their connections and endorsements.

Election is tomorrow!

I want whoever is best for the job to win..!

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

^Weren't you the one that posted saying that you couldn't stand to look at Wildrose leader Brian Jean and then admitting that you were, in your own words, "shallow"?

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    ^Weren't you the one that posted saying that you couldn't stand to look at Wildrose leader Brian Jean and then admitting that you were, in your own words, "shallow"?
    I was joking, however I still think Jean is odd looking..but if he is best for the job, so be it.

Rachel looks like 30 miles of bad road, she's in power..

I continue to feel that at least a dozen of these are awful candidates that would have difficulty being hired for a job. With those unfortunately making any discourse disturbing, uncivil, uncomfortable.

Theres at least half a dozen candidates that are complete Rhino party level joke candidates but whom apparently don't know it.

Another ten candidates seem to be basically students looking for first long term jobs.

Top_Dawg loves it.

Top_Dawg loves it.
    Funniest thing is that in a pack of 32 that respective candidate is occupying the Oilers position...In a league with no front runners or MVP's..

I think if you randomly selected 32 people in a mall it would be a comparable lineup.

Millbourne Mall...

Better than a police lineup, at least this isn't a Federal election.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-02-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Top_Dawg loves it.
    Some real big crank alerts going on in that bi-election. 32 people vying for a C of E job. If job prospects were better there would probably only be 12 at the most.

Has anyone found a site tracking the polls?

Has anyone found a site tracking the polls?
    It says results can be found at COE site. Not seeing that on there yet but polls don't close till 8pm and lots of the vote is in the evening.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-12-byelection

Being that this is a byelection coverage by media or online is probably going to be poor.

Being that its a Ward 12 byelection expect to find out who really won in around a month...

If you got the twitter thing, this might be a good source for result updates
    https://twitter.com/EdmElections

Edmonton Elections ‏@EdmElections
    Staff are managing electors in line at 8pm. Results will be posted at http://edmonton.ca/byelection

Moe Banga it is then. Appears to have won by a wide margin considering how many candidates there were.

AS I'd predicted a month ago 2K votes was going to be enough to take this byelection.

Moe Banga's platform. I wasn't very familiar with this candidate. I doubt many others would be;

http://www.moebanga.ca/#!platform/y2fcy

Last edited by Gemini; 22-02-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Its the COE source everybody has been mentioning..

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/by-election.aspx

ps half the candidates, 16 of them, had less than 250votes. From the looks of the tallies a number of them couldn't even get their family to vote for them. Really could've been far less of a joke election and around 20 candidates too many in this one.
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-02-2016 at 09:24 PM.

Never heard of the guy. He's pro-LRT, at least:

“I definitely support the building of the Valley LRT Line,” writes police detective Moe Banga. “I will be a strong advocate to ensure that whatever final plans are made the city has learned from the Metro Line LRT implementation and the appropriate changes are made.”
    http://www.vueweekly.com/ward-12-can...eg-of-the-lrt/

Welcome and good luck, councillor Banga.

Looking at his platform and bio, I'm pleasantly assured he has the potential to become a good councillor. It's been a while since we had a police officer on council. I think it can add valuable balance to several certain issues. Seems to have his head on straight.

Seems to have the potential to be a good councilor for the ward once he gets over the learning curve. At least he has lived in the area for 35 years and has been productive for the area.

http://www.moebanga.ca/#!platform/y2fcy

It says in the Journal Banga got 18% of the popular vote. Now, one would think if a person got 18% of a vote they would not be a 'winner'. That's what happens when many people run for one spot. 18% of the population wants you in but 82% of the population voted for someone else.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...12-by-election

^We need to move to a ranked ballot or run-off system.

1 BANGA Moe 2359 17.8%
    2 THIBERT Laura 1283 9.7%
    3 SANDHU Arundeep Singh 1106 8.3%
    4 CHAUDHRY Irfan 950 7.2%
    5 KAUR Nav 888 6.7%
    6 BHALOO Danisha 843 6.3%
    7 TOOR Preet 665 5.0%
    8 JHAJJ Sam 612 4.6%
    9 PATEL Rakesh 542 4.1%
    10 HENDERSON Brian 541 4.1%
    11 MANHAS Balraj Singh 466 3.5%
    12 JOHNSTONE Dan 436 3.3%
    13 BUTLER Mike 371 2.8%
    14 SHARMA Yash 334 2.5%
    15 PIETERSE Field 315 2.4%
    16 KOZIAK Don 260 2.0%
    17 CHAMCHUK Nick 222 1.7%
    18 SZYMANOWKA Nicole 193 1.5%
    19 GILL Jag 169 1.3%
    20 HO Lincoln 146 1.1%
    21 SHEORAN Jagat Singh 122 0.9%
    22 TOOR Steve 'CP' 93 0.7%
    23 STEVENS Jeri 90 0.7%
    24 MCKINNON Terry J. 49 0.4%
    25 GORMAN Andrew 40 0.3%
    26 BALE Jason 37 0.3%
    27 BUJOR Victor Viorel 37 0.3%
    28 KADLA Kelly A. 33 0.2%
    29 SEKHON Nirpal 29 0.2%
    30 WUTZKE Stephen 23 0.2%
    31 AHMAD Shani 20 0.2%
    32 KOOPMANS R. Joey 5 0.0%

13279 100.0%

I think number 3 to 7 may have split the same vote, but I think Moe Banga may be as good as anybody else in the running.

^What do you mean by "same vote"? I find it hard to imagine Nav Kaur and Arundeep Sandhu drawing on the same pool of voters, given the extreme ideological gulf between the two.

^ I mean the young stars tourney, I guess. I know what you mean, but a. It's civic politics, and b. Even for other levels of government there are a lot of undecided. And c. The demographic that they share might just be making up their minds politically with these young leaders.

You may note I'm pretty non-partisan and almost never comment on issues outside the City unless it's a matter of 'Calgary Imperials' (i.e., Harpo, Klein, Redford etc...)
    Last edited by JayBee; 22-02-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Well now, just goes to show that high-powered endorsements, political party backing and social media presence doesn't necessarily translate into votes.

I still would have preferred to have seen a female win, but after looking over Banga's platform I think he'll be a really good one.

BTW the last place finisher with a whopping 5 votes? He wanted to bring back the City Centre airport and repeal smoking bylaws.

On his webs site he looks good. Well done, hopefully our one term mayor won't upset you banging on about the LRT non stop,and bike lanes.lol

Welcome and good luck, councillor Banga.

Looking at his platform and bio, I'm pleasantly assured he has the potential to become a good councillor. It's been a while since we had a police officer on council. I think it can add valuable balance to several certain issues. Seems to have his head on straight.
    The only thing I knew about this candidate was how much he was banging the crime fighting law and order mandate. Classic misinformation and creation of non issue.

Crime in Ward 12?

As I stated earlier I'm very disappointed so many of the candidates emphasized a combat crime narrative in their campaign literature and statements.

I actually think once again that such inane bantering does more to harm the reputation of this ward.

Which has virtually no crime. Probably one of the safer wards in the city. With this being a pretty safe City in a pretty safe country. Talk about a nothing issue.

Hopefully most of the votes for Banga had little to do with such bleating about crime here. What crime?
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-02-2016 at 11:54 PM.

Default Moe Banga answers Staples

Looks pretty well rounded, I think. Says on his web page that he wants the Police to do more within their "existing budget." Doesn't sound too "law'n'order" to me, but does have a better than average understanding of it.

Staples: What do you think of the city’s handling of photo radar?

Banga: Having been a police officer for 25 years, I believe that photo radar is very important to the City of Edmonton when used appropriately. When photo radar has the intended outcome of reducing speeds to those that roads are engineered and designed for, it increases safety on those roads and in those communities.

However, the public perception should not be that photo radar is only in place to balance government books. I would suggest targeting different areas of the city and community to really create a shift in driver behaviour as opposed to having photo radar hidden or continuously in the same area.

Staples: Are you in favour of building more and more LRT or should we concentrate our transportation spending on widening, expanding and upgrading our roads?

Banga: I believe that integrated modes of active and public transportation are required for Edmonton moving forward. I would support the building of LRT but also consider Bus Rapid Transit (BRT), expanding roads to relieve congestion (only when required), and looking into building effective bicycle infrastructure to create more transportation choices.

Staples: Should smoking be banned from all public parks?

Banga: I believe smoking should be banned from all public parks unless there is a dedicated area only for smokers.

Staples: Do you live in Ward 12 now? Do you think it’s important that a candidate live in the ward?

Banga: I have lived in Ward 12 for over 35 years. I think it is truly important for a candidate to live in the ward as they will be familiar with the people, problems and issues of the area. Being an elected official is truly being the “voice of the people.” Would you let someone who did not live in your household make decisions for your household? Likely not.
    Source

This taken right from Banga's platform that I linked earlier;

Community Safety

• Efficient use of existing police services
    • Effective collaboration with other social services to reduce strain on police resources
    • Safety of people and property – preventing crimes such as domestic and elder abuse, fraud, and
      property theft

Really anything I heard from Banga, was him emphasizing safety, crime, law and order. As close as it gets to a one issue candidate.

A fear mongering police candidate who probably got elected on that basis.

Also a former longtime DARE speaker. A highly critiqued program shown to have negligible, if any, positive effect.

Oh well, at least he lives in the ward and is a mature candidate with some significant life experience.

There were certainly about 25 worse options imo. Several bullets dodged.

btw, Staples had stated about 4 candidates of interest that he favored in this byelection. favored them over Banga. just ftr
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-02-2016 at 12:47 AM.

Well now, just goes to show that high-powered endorsements, political party backing and social media presence doesn't necessarily translate into votes.
    Indeed. With the full backing of the NDP's Edmonton political machine, Nav Kaur squeezed out 888 votes and a 5th place finish. That's pathetic.

Party politics of all stripe rebuked. Not uncommon in civic politics.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Indeed. With the full backing of the NDP's Edmonton political machine, Nav Kaur squeezed out 888 votes and a 5th place finish. That's pathetic.
    Sandhu had PC backing and finished 3rd with 1,106 votes, while Bhaloo was endorsed by some local heavy hitters (biggest being former Mayor Mandel) and only got 6th place and 843 votes. Could be an overall distrust of the political system, or supporters failed to vote. 13,279 voter turnout is pathetic.

ps half the candidates, 16 of them, had less than 250votes. From the looks of the tallies a number of them couldn't even get their family to vote for them.

The families would know best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast