Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ward 12 By-Election: Who will replace Sohi?

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Well now, just goes to show that high-powered endorsements, political party backing and social media presence doesn't necessarily translate into votes.
    Indeed. With the full backing of the NDP's Edmonton political machine, Nav Kaur squeezed out 888 votes and a 5th place finish. That's pathetic.
    Sandhu had PC backing and finished 3rd with 1,106 votes, while Bhaloo was endorsed by some local heavy hitters (biggest being former Mayor Mandel) and only got 6th place and 843 votes. Could be an overall distrust of the political system, or supporters failed to vote. 13,279 voter turnout is pathetic.
    Don Koziak's 260 votes don't reflect so well on the "Wildrose Machine" either.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Congratulations to Moe Banga for winning the Ward 12 By-Election. Let's hope that he truly champions the people to City Council.

I find it interesting that out of the 23 Candidates that attended the Ward 12 Candidates Forum on February 17, Moe Banga wasn't one of them. Obviously it didn't hurt him which makes me wonder about a few things.

I look forward to working with Moe. Hopefully he steps up.

or supporters failed to vote. 13,279 voter turnout is pathetic.
    I'm guessing nearly most of the smiling faces you saw you volunteering for all the candidates didn't live in the ward.

Not sure why voter turnout wasn't better; lack of suitable candidates certainly wasn't an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Don Koziak's 260 votes don't reflect so well on the "Wildrose Machine" either.
    Haha. Forgot about ol' Don Koziak.

Did he have any party resources behind him or just his usual crew of flunkies who hang around the Chateau Louis?

C2E SME

At least Manga's spent a long time in the community. I wish him the best of luck.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I'd rather C2E than work!

He is on Ched right now. Smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Party politics of all stripe rebuked. Not uncommon in civic politics.
    That doesn't enter into it.

Well now, just goes to show that high-powered endorsements, political party backing and social media presence doesn't necessarily translate into votes.
    Indeed. With the full backing of the NDP's Edmonton political machine, Nav Kaur squeezed out 888 votes and a 5th place finish. That's pathetic.
    Not really. There were too many candidates to even divine such information. I looked into Kaur and it wasn't immediately evident that she had an NDP type platform, endorsements, yes, but endorsements didn't matter at all in this election. For any candidates.
    Danisha Bhaloo had endorsements from the Mayor, was the social media butterfly darling, people from outside the ward wanted her to win, were blogging her somehow being the best candidate. I think what is actually a little pathetic is how a guy like Mandel got sucked in.
    Danisha is likely a very nice person but I have difficulty ascertaining what she had done that actually relates in anyway either to the ward, or to a position in civic politics. Social media, as SDM mentioned is interestingly not the be all end all.

I'm thankful we have a more qualified individual with at least extensive life and job experience that won. I'll take that over inexperience.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Sandhu had PC backing and finished 3rd with 1,106 votes, while Bhaloo was endorsed by some local heavy hitters (biggest being former Mayor Mandel) and only got 6th place and 843 votes. Could be an overall distrust of the political system, or supporters failed to vote. 13,279 voter turnout is pathetic.
    And Thibert was a Wildroser who ran on an anti-tax platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Bergdahl View Post
    Congratulations to Moe Banga for winning the Ward 12 By-Election. Let's hope that he truly champions the people to City Council.

I find it interesting that out of the 23 Candidates that attended the Ward 12 Candidates Forum on February 17, Moe Banga wasn't one of them. Obviously it didn't hurt him which makes me wonder about a few things.

???

I thought he was there.

Who was that guy at the beginning leaning on his elbow at the podium?

32 people in this byelection has been a real chore.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    What doesn't enter into what? A police officer solidly in the civic realm had nearly double the votes of anyone with a party.

Extremely clear: Civic elections need civic attention.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Bergdahl View Post

Yeah, I find that interesting as well. Kind of makes you wonder what the point is although I salute you and yours for the efforts.

One problem this year is the candidates forum wasn't to my knowledge made available on COE site for streamed viewing. Apparently it wasn't filmed. Previous forums have been and were viewable online. Perhaps that would have made a difference.

I also would have liked to see the city put out an actual list of which candidates attended the forum, or for the media to report that as news.

It is very unfortunate that a forum has been rendered so meaningless.

This wasn't even a typical election. It was someone that was likely to win on people that were going to vote for that one candidate anyway.

Its interesting that nobody in media even pegged Banga as one of the handful of frontrunners.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

While the person who won at 18% of the vote could hardly be called a landslide victory the people of Ward 12 will just have to wait to see how their new councilor plays out.
    Pre-judging him is the easy part. It's what he does during his term that counts.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    What doesn't enter into what? A police officer solidly in the civic realm had nearly double the votes of anyone with a party.

Extremely clear: Civic elections need civic attention.
    If he is ndp or wildrose. Most people really don't care..

His vote counts were rather impressive considering there were so many candidates.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    His vote counts were rather impressive considering there were so many candidates.
    I know someone that helped with his campaign, his being with the police certainly made an impact.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Yeah, I find that interesting as well. Kind of makes you wonder what the point is although I salute you and yours for the efforts.

One problem this year is the candidates forum wasn't to my knowledge made available on COE site for streamed viewing. Apparently it wasn't filmed. Previous forums have been and were viewable online. Perhaps that would have made a difference.

I also would have liked to see the city put out an actual list of which candidates attended the forum, or for the media to report that as news.

It is very unfortunate that a forum has been rendered so meaningless.

This wasn't even a typical election. It was someone that was likely to win on people that were going to vote for that one candidate anyway.

Its interesting that nobody in media even pegged Banga as one of the handful of frontrunners.
    I know. The City didn't plan on streaming and left the planning up to us. I could provide a list of who attended but it is done now, the ballots counted.

By-Elections are traditionally "different". We will have to review whether we will ever host a Candidate Forum in the future. Not sure of the benefit to the voters for all the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    Sure there were a lot of candidates but 18% is hardly a landslide. 82% of the population voted for someone else.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12