Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 201 to 300 of 361

Thread: Renaming Connect2Edmonton to Connect2DowntownEdmonton

  1. #201

    Default

    ^I got it on the groceries, forgot the .
    It's a mugs game keeping up with the Jones's but to some people the reality is they have big families. Weather it's a lot of kids, a lot of people living in one house, having to look after ageing parents and young kids at the same time. Even a reasonably small house can hold a fair amount of people if done right. The kids may want their own rooms but it does not say they can have one. Sometimes the realities of life dictate how many people live with you and where you live.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  2. #202

    Talking This thread got way too intense ...

    Hey people, I started looking at this thread because I wanted to see what ideas were out there about improving this site. I thought the comment about the "same 10 guys" was hilarious because I had noted that myself on occasion. I have also noted that there seems to be some fairly entrenched ideologies expressed on this site. I too have some entrenched beliefs but after 40 odd years of spewing the same things over and over I am boring myself and these beliefs are growing thin, tired, and far too simplistic. I like reading people's comments when they challenge (intelligently) the norm on both sides of the spectrum, especially when they blend conservatism and liberalism and muddy the waters. We need more of that. We live in Alberta, after all - 59% voted "conservative" and we elected a majority socialist government. I love the irony (if not the result). the DT versus suburban debate is so not important too me. I love both. The ideas I have read about each have been VERY interesting and I love the passion and creativity. I have creeped on a few of the "10 guys" and have found that I would like to share a few beers with them (they have to buy) and see what makes them so passionate about Edmonton and their varying viewpoints. So, in long, can't we all just get along? Let's debate - not fight. Back in the day my Poli Sci prof said that the Federal and Provincial orders of government are far more "sexy". They get most of the news attention, most of the money, and most of the votes (ie. voter turnout). However, municipal gov't has far more impact on people's daily lives. He could't have been more right. I love this forum because it explores our city in far greater detail than any other source I have found. I hope more people eventually engage with C2E to broaden the scope of these discussions. Let's try to be a little more civil and keep being creative. Thank God the Esks won on Sunday and "Go Oilers"!
    "all we are say-ing ... is give beer a chaaaance"

  3. #203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've given up keeping up with the jones'. Really, I can barely see them from here, but I'm OK with that.
    The "Jones'" may have to sell a few kids to keep the payments going on their toys until the next boom.
    "all we are say-ing ... is give beer a chaaaance"

  4. #204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Noodle and medwards are mad because Ian actually made a name for himself boosting the **** out of downtown while they tried to be boosters but didn't hit the spotlight.
    Now they are sad/mad and expressing via the interwebz.
    Jealousy at its finest!
    There are few people I'm more happy I'm not than Ian (or his merry band of automatic-post-thanking, seed-swallowing yesmen like DanC or Hilman.)
    Last edited by noodle; 01-12-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  5. #205
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerSlayer View Post
    Hey people, I started looking at this thread because I wanted to see what ideas were out there about improving this site. I thought the comment about the "same 10 guys" was hilarious because I had noted that myself on occasion. I have also noted that there seems to be some fairly entrenched ideologies expressed on this site. I too have some entrenched beliefs but after 40 odd years of spewing the same things over and over I am boring myself and these beliefs are growing thin, tired, and far too simplistic. I like reading people's comments when they challenge (intelligently) the norm on both sides of the spectrum, especially when they blend conservatism and liberalism and muddy the waters. We need more of that. We live in Alberta, after all - 59% voted "conservative" and we elected a majority socialist government. I love the irony (if not the result). the DT versus suburban debate is so not important too me. I love both. The ideas I have read about each have been VERY interesting and I love the passion and creativity. I have creeped on a few of the "10 guys" and have found that I would like to share a few beers with them (they have to buy) and see what makes them so passionate about Edmonton and their varying viewpoints. So, in long, can't we all just get along? Let's debate - not fight. Back in the day my Poli Sci prof said that the Federal and Provincial orders of government are far more "sexy". They get most of the news attention, most of the money, and most of the votes (ie. voter turnout). However, municipal gov't has far more impact on people's daily lives. He could't have been more right. I love this forum because it explores our city in far greater detail than any other source I have found. I hope more people eventually engage with C2E to broaden the scope of these discussions. Let's try to be a little more civil and keep being creative. Thank God the Esks won on Sunday and "Go Oilers"!
    After checking my profile to see if BeerSlayer visited, I realize I might be one of the 10 guys in question...

  6. #206
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,872

    Default



    Top_Dawg is lost.

    Is this the ' Become a Master Composter ' thread ?

  7. #207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    There are few people I'm more happy I'm not than Ian (or his merry band of automatic-post-thanking, seed-swallowing yesmen like DanC or Hilman.)
    Ummm ... that seems a little harsh ...
    "all we are say-ing ... is give beer a chaaaance"

  8. #208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    After checking my profile to see if BeerSlayer visited, I realize I might be one of the 10 guys in question...
    Was that an offer to buy me beers?
    "all we are say-ing ... is give beer a chaaaance"

  9. #209
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Noodle and medwards are mad because Ian actually made a name for himself boosting the **** out of downtown while they tried to be boosters but didn't hit the spotlight.
    Now they are sad/mad and expressing via the interwebz.
    Jealousy at its finest!
    There are few people I'm more happy I'm not than Ian (or his merry band of automatic-post-thanking, seed-swallowing yesmen like DanC or Hilman.)
    Your grammar sucks.

  10. #210
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerSlayer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    After checking my profile to see if BeerSlayer visited, I realize I might be one of the 10 guys in question...
    Was that an offer to buy me beers?
    Maybe one day

  11. #211

    Default

    There are at least two other possible ways to rename:

    Connect2EdmontonConstruction

    Connect2EdmontonPolitics.


  12. #212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Noodle and medwards are mad because Ian actually made a name for himself boosting the **** out of downtown while they tried to be boosters but didn't hit the spotlight.
    Now they are sad/mad and expressing via the interwebz.
    Jealousy at its finest!
    There are few people I'm more happy I'm not than Ian (or his merry band of automatic-post-thanking, seed-swallowing yesmen like DanC or Hilman.)
    Your grammar sucks.
    Not nearly as much as your deduction skills.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  13. #213

    Default

    I can buy beers. Who's down? Let's have a meet! DanC, you're not invited. Everyone else is, including IanO.

  14. #214

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Noodle and medwards are mad because Ian actually made a name for himself boosting the **** out of downtown while they tried to be boosters but didn't hit the spotlight.
    Now they are sad/mad and expressing via the interwebz.
    Jealousy at its finest!
    There are few people I'm more happy I'm not than Ian (or his merry band of automatic-post-thanking, seed-swallowing yesmen like DanC or Hilman.)
    That's rich coming from you, Jaerdo's skid mark.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  15. #215
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    And we're back to being nasty.

  16. #216

    Default

    ^Yeah, your posting again. The most passive aggressive narcissist person on the board.
    Last edited by Gemini; 02-12-2015 at 01:06 PM.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  17. #217

    Default

    This place is always nasty, more so since the Admin got sick & has had better & more important areas to focus his attention. Given that one of the core figures in this little fiesta of "F ME!? F YOU!" is a mod it's not like we're gonna see much improvement so long as the situation remains functionally unmoderated.

    This place is much less infuriating (and no more illogical or hard to follow) if you just throw vast swaths of the trash posters on ignore. The signal to noise ratio on this site is abysmally low & cognitive dissonance runs as strong as Oiler fandom does around these parts.

    (And if you consider me a trash poster, by all means, ignore me. I'd prefer it, rather than ongoing ad hominem attacks. If you feel I don't contribute, don't even bother to show yourself my posts. That's what the ignore list is for. I welcome you to ignore me. Please.)

    I really wish some of the prolific (re)posters who represent a huge chunk of the site used separate accounts for posts in their own words vs. the stuff they lift from other places so I could have granularity in ignoring one side or the other.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  18. #218

    Default

    ^Hey man your contributions matter just cut down on the rhetoric. Most of the time you come across as pi$$ed off about nothing in particular. You take offence to easy when people are making constructive points. It's not all about you.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  19. #219

    Default

    ^
    See below.
    \/
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  20. #220

    Default

    ^ Wonderful. You can't handle some peoples comments so you block them. Whatever floats your boat.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  21. #221
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    I'm just sick of the vicious personal insults. A select contingent of c2e posters seem to believe that anyone contradicting them is a direct assault on them worthy of coming up with incredibly vile, mean, and aggressive personal attacks. I came here to talk about urban design and local politics, not see completely uncalled for things like this (not all directed at me, but all completely unwarranted escalations that depart from the subject into nastiness):

    The most passive aggressive narcissist person on the board.
    ...That's rich coming from you, Jaerdo's skid mark.
    Kiss my grits jerk
    Gemini is either blind, has poor reading comprehension....
    ...you will find a way to get under everyones skin whether you are right or wrong. Reminds me a lot of an EDP character. Lack of attention as a child maybe?
    If that is the case then #jeardosucksasaperson


    Come on people, you don't HAVE to resort to insults. I get it, it is annoying that people disagree with you completely. It is frustrating when they don't listen, but why get nasty? What is this accomplishing?

  22. #222

    Default

    ^Jaerdo, nobody is buying your bull. You insult people all the time in the way you post, the tone of your words, your condescending manner your holier than though attitude and over the top rhetoric. Your passive aggressive style of posting fools no one. You now have the gonads to then play the victim card.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  23. #223
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    You're ridiculous, Gemini. Your problem is that you explode every time someone disagrees with you. When you post DIRECT, mean, nasty, low-blow insults everything is perfectly ok. When someone disagrees with you, you mentally block it out by labeling them "condescending" or "holier than thou".

    Well, guess what? I would rather be "holier than thou" than a mean, dirty, completely aggressive prick. You are one of the worst posters on C2E for completely unwarranted personal attacks. Every single day you blast out at least one or two pieces of garbage at someone or other with no message other than to hurt people.

    Noodle is right about this. You're better off on ignore. Then I won't have to see the routine insults you levy on people, OR the bigoted garbage you smear everywhere.
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 02-12-2015 at 02:32 PM.

  24. #224

    Default

    ^Oh Jaerodo, you care, your really care.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  25. #225

    Default

    ^The words below were used by another poster to describe your posting style. It fits you to a t. I did not get specific permission from this poster to re-post it so I will not mention his/her name although you probably know who I am referring to.


    - declare the topic of conversation a "fight",
    - dig around the 'net and cherry-pick some ambiguous garbage from the web somewhere that supports his argument (no matter how tenuous),
    - mouth off in a condescending fashion to everyone who disagrees with his cherry-picked picture or ambiguous source (ignoring all posts that demonstrate that his "proof" is inaccurate or worthless),
    - wag his finger at everyone else, attempting to shame them while calling them names (then tell everyone else not to call *him* names),
    - pat himself on the back and champion himself as a hero and how much more "tolerant" he is than everyone else (after launching a barrage of insults to every other angle), then
    - go back and edit his posts AFTER you've dismantled his arguments

    I will also add:
    -toadies up to the one person who may agree with him by repeatedly saying their name as often as possible during his post as if to bolster up his argument
    Last edited by Gemini; 02-12-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  26. #226
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Crawford Plains, Millwoods since 1985
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^The words below were used by another poster to describe your posting style. It fits you to a t. I did not get specific permission from this poster to re-post it so I will not mention his/her name although you probably know who I am referring to.
    Actually, that was pertaining to Edmonton Daily Photo. But since Jaerdo must be his twin brother from some long lost land somewhere, who's really keeping track?

  27. #227

    Default

    ^Sorry about that, though it was Jaerdo, but I agree they are like two peas in a pod, in fact maybe one and the same pea.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  28. #228
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Westmount
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    EDP had a very distinct style (including lots of horribly lazy grammatical and spelling errors) that Jaerdo does not share, IMO.

  29. #229
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    ^ I love these "guess the multiple user name" conspiracies, but in the spirit of transparency, it's time I came clean... I am kcantor.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itĺs not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

  30. #230
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Crawford Plains, Millwoods since 1985
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    LOL

    I don't believe you.

  31. #231

    Default

    ^^lol. Jaybee is my other handle, it is all part of a paid Calgary Conservative party funded conspiracy...

  32. #232

    Default

    My other handle is actually DanC. I like to stir the pot on both sides.

  33. #233
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    EDP had a very distinct style (including lots of horribly lazy grammatical and spelling errors) that Jaerdo does not share, IMO.

    I am not Edmonton Daily Photo. I've said this several times and implored people to contact site administrators if they do not believe me.

    Apparently I have however joined a small subset of the most hated people on C2E for my thoughts on Aboriginal peoples' issues, constitutional rights regarding religious garb, global warming, environmental conservation, alternative transportation, and (above all else the #1 driver of the target on my head) my love for basic practical logic.

    I elect to go unapologetically to the stocks with my head held high, because I believe in these things.

  34. #234

    Default

    ^ Did you, or do you sell insurance by any chance?

  35. #235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Apparently I have however joined a small subset of the most hated people on C2E for my thoughts on Aboriginal peoples' issues, constitutional rights regarding religious garb, global warming, environmental conservation, alternative transportation, and (above all else the #1 driver of the target on my head) my love for basic practical logic.
    This is quite possibly my favourite thing ever written on C2E.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  36. #236
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    Remember everyone, play nice or don't post please.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  37. #237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Apparently I have however joined a small subset of the most hated people on C2E for my thoughts on Aboriginal peoples' issues, constitutional rights regarding religious garb, global warming, environmental conservation, alternative transportation, and (above all else the #1 driver of the target on my head) my love for basic practical logic.
    This is quite possibly my favourite thing ever written on C2E.
    As Jaerdo compliments himself while fishing for sympathy at the same time. Oh woe is me, I am a persecuted genius. Classic move of a narcissistic personality.
    Last edited by Gemini; 02-12-2015 at 06:37 PM.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  38. #238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    ^ Did you, or do you sell insurance by any chance?
    Surely your not suggesting he's this guy.


    https://www.google.ca/search?q=geico...h=476&dpr=1.25
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  39. #239
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    ^ I love these "guess the multiple user name" conspiracies, but in the spirit of transparency, it's time I came clean... I am kcantor.
    thanks a lot.

    now i have to go figure out who the h... i am.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  40. #240
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    My other handle is actually DanC. I like to stir the pot on both sides.
    It's true.

  41. #241

  42. #242
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sherwood park
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Bingo should have a TM behind it and you should be getting permission to use it.

  43. #243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I can buy beers. Who's down? Let's have a meet! DanC, you're not invited. Everyone else is, including IanO.
    Wait ... did Medwards just offer beers? I'm in!
    "all we are say-ing ... is give beer a chaaaance"

  44. #244

    Default

    caveat: Beer offer only available in the *gasp* SW corner of the city where I can easily walk home from.
    XIX
    Chili's
    State and Main or OJ's
    Hart's
    Brown's social house.

    probably missing a few...

  45. #245
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    I just checked. That location is surprisingly more accessible via transit than many others. I like beers.

  46. #246
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Crawford Plains, Millwoods since 1985
    Posts
    2,737

    Default

    Is there a Chi-Chi's? Gotta have me some Chi-Chi's to help me wash down beer.

    Oh right, I wasn't invited. That's ok, your credit card couldn't afford me

  47. #247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    I just checked. That location is surprisingly more accessible via transit than many others. I like beers.
    Part of the reason we chose to live in Ambleside was transit access to downtown. Transit is quicker than driving/parking at rush hour! Wife gets to work in about 45 minutes door to door. (I work out here and walk to work in about 5-10 minutes.)

    More than welcome to join. We can choose a date once I see if anyone else is up for this.

  48. #248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Is there a Chi-Chi's? Gotta have me some Chi-Chi's to help me wash down beer.

    Oh right, I wasn't invited. That's ok, your credit card couldn't afford me
    Everyone except my other handle DanC is invited... read above.

  49. #249
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    3,713

    Default

    I will be in town for a couple weeks. Would be fun to do another c2e meet and greet

    If Med has the beers I got the nachos
    be offended! figure out why later...

  50. #250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    I will be in town for a couple weeks. Would be fun to do another c2e meet and greet

    If Med has the beers I got the nachos
    Maybe meet somewhere downtown?


  51. #251
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Beautiful BC
    Posts
    1,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    I just checked. That location is surprisingly more accessible via transit than many others. I like beers.
    Part of the reason we chose to live in Ambleside was transit access to downtown. Transit is quicker than driving/parking at rush hour! Wife gets to work in about 45 minutes door to door. (I work out here and walk to work in about 5-10 minutes.)

    More than welcome to join. We can choose a date once I see if anyone else is up for this.
    Make sure you give any downtowners planing on joining you plenty of time to get their travel visas and shots sorted.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itĺs not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

  52. #252
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    I'm interested. The prospect of picking up the tab for someone named BeerSlayer made me hesitate initially.

  53. #253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    I will be in town for a couple weeks. Would be fun to do another c2e meet and greet

    If Med has the beers I got the nachos
    Maybe meet somewhere downtown?

    medwards is only paying for the beer if its a location mentioned in my previous post.

    I'll also add in "The Bend Lounge" in Riverbend.

  54. #254

    Default

    All the personal attacks stop when someone mentions picking up the tab. I laughed jovially out loud.

  55. #255
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    ^ A very important concept in stakeholder engagement theory is that one of the best ways of getting conflicting parties to sit down and talk calmly is to offer them a free meal. Even just free cheap snacks and coffee get people to show.

  56. #256
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,277

    Default

    So its beer at Medwards neighborhood bar or snacks and coffee at Jaerdos place. Im not much of a drinker so.....

  57. #257
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Only a fool tries to compete with free beer. Medwards won the war before the first shot was fired.

  58. #258

    Default

    So does anyone have a date maybe next week? Again - all are invited except DanC. DanC can go pound sand.

  59. #259
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    But I don't feel comfortable leaving my Downtown 'bubble'.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  60. #260

    Default

    Thats fine if you don't want to come. But youre more than welcome, unless you bring DanC. All points of view are welcome. You can watch me flip flop as i mostly enjoy playing devils advocate to get people talking.

  61. #261

    Default

    Can't drink, don't like crowds, but I appreciate the invitation.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  62. #262

    Default

    Wed thurs or fri next week would be my suggestions.

  63. #263
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Beer is dumb.

  64. #264

    Default

    How does the bend get added to the list? Used to like the place but its gone down hill badly... Total dive with the local gangsters that think their cooler then they are.

  65. #265
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    How does the bend get added to the list? Used to like the place but its gone down hill badly... Total dive with the local gangsters that think their cooler then they are.
    I enjoy their karaoke night. Food's pretty decent too, as far as pub food goes. Can't speak to any other night of the week though.

  66. #266

    Default

    Last time I stopped in a guy was pouring booze on others while picking fights with random people... Bar tenders stood around on a Friday night ignoring it all....

  67. #267
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Wow. Yeah I've never seen anything like that there.

  68. #268

    Default

    Ive only gone a few times, never that late and seemed fairly mild.

    Reminds me a bit of the place i used to haunt downtown where apparently DanC hit on me but i mustve turned him down. Sorry DanC, dudes arent my thing, but its okay if its your thing.

  69. #269

    Default

    Thursday next week. How does Browns social house sound? 8 pm?

  70. #270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Beer is dumb.
    Thats okay, youre not invited anyways. Now go play in your sandbox.

  71. #271
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Beer is dumb.
    Thats okay, youre not invited anyways. Now go play in your sandbox.
    Do you touch it in the dark corner of your sad little server room whenever you lay out some weak insult on the Internet? Give it a couple more tugs and beg the Internet to come keep you company.
    If you buy them beer maybe they will like you.
    Guys? Guys?! Pay attention to me Internet, I'm a cool bully on the Internet too.

  72. #272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Beer is dumb.
    Thats okay, youre not invited anyways. Now go play in your sandbox.
    Do you touch it in the dark corner of your sad little server room whenever you lay out some weak insult on the Internet? Give it a couple more tugs and beg the Internet to come keep you company.
    If you buy them beer maybe they will like you.
    Guys? Guys?! Pay attention to me Internet, I'm a cool bully on the Internet too.

    https://i.imgflip.com/5pnp6.jpg

  73. #273
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,519
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    C2E meet up? ok. I'm in... if invited.
    Ow

  74. #274

    Default

    Youre invited, unless your DanC in disguise

  75. #275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Beer is dumb.
    Thats okay, youre not invited anyways. Now go play in your sandbox.
    Do you touch it in the dark corner of your sad little server room whenever you lay out some weak insult on the Internet? Give it a couple more tugs and beg the Internet to come keep you company.
    If you buy them beer maybe they will like you.
    Guys? Guys?! Pay attention to me Internet, I'm a cool bully on the Internet too.

    https://i.imgflip.com/5pnp6.jpg
    Kris, what ever DanC thinks my job entails is still far better than a stock boy working at London Drugs.

    Youre welcome to come if you want.

  76. #276
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    ^ I love these "guess the multiple user name" conspiracies, but in the spirit of transparency, it's time I came clean... I am kcantor.
    thanks a lot.

    now i have to go figure out who the h... i am.
    Do you take suggestions????

    I'm still the biggest Dick in the room....
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  77. #277
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,432
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ...as for meet and greets on the topic of this forum and it's future, I'm always open to that.

    Downtown or elsewhere...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  78. #278

    Default

    No no, richards you have this all wrong. Im just a lonely server room guy looking to make friends and drink beer in the far off suburbs, discussion about this forum doesnt even need to take place, though Im sure we will.

  79. #279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Beer is dumb.
    Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!! I didn't care if DanC was invited ... UNTIL NOW! What? Beer is NOT dumb. I am now applying for an Officership in the "Hate DanC Club". I'd like to be Sargeant-at-Arms.
    "all we are say-ing ... is give beer a chaaaance"

  80. #280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    ^ I love these "guess the multiple user name" conspiracies, but in the spirit of transparency, it's time I came clean... I am kcantor.
    thanks a lot.

    now i have to go figure out who the h... i am.
    Do you take suggestions????

    I'm still the biggest Dick in the room....
    Are you sure that's not just phantom pain from the bigger Dick you used to be?

    (Glad to see you up & around & kicking *** again.)
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  81. #281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Thursday next week. How does Browns social house sound? 8 pm?
    I'm there. To be clear, I assume you're referring to the Brown's in Windermere ... not Lewis Farms.
    "all we are say-ing ... is give beer a chaaaance"

  82. #282

  83. #283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Thursday next week. How does Browns social house sound? 8 pm?
    I'm down.

  84. #284

    Default

    #jaerdo&noodlewalkintoabar
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  85. #285

    Default

    wtf happened to this thread?

    Good on you, Beer Slayer.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  86. #286
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    But I don't feel comfortable leaving my Downtown 'bubble'.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agoraphobia the wide open spaces

  87. #287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    How about we all collectively stop all of the **** and all collectively work towards a higher bar around here. Not to stop debate, but let's cut the crap. I am getting sick and tired of coming on here now and am embarrassed by much of what's being posted.

    I will make the 'first' effort.
    It's more of a philosophical difference. In another thread, a dozen of regulars keeps mocking me for wanting a large residential lot.

    In real life, I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't want a large lot. The opinion of the regulars here represents an extreme minority of the whole society, and yet they are the majority here. In addition to that, they hold their opinions to a religious level. That's the problem.

    Of course, they are entitled to their opinion and there is free speech after all. But then, there is indeed much truth in the suggestion of "renaming Connect2Edmonton to Connect2DowntownEdmonton."

  88. #288

    Default

    Eons is another one of my handles. Again, i like to stir the pot.

  89. #289

    Default

    ^^ honestly, in my corner of the suburbs, I hear people talking about moving Downtown almost every day (granted it's frequently the same people.) Empty nesters, young people, and one family of three. People sick of shoveling walks and mowing lawns (which I grant may be indicative of the design vintage of suburbia I live), people sick of driving, people wanting something more than token restaurants in strip malls. The chorus of "I'm not going near Downtown because it's so dangerous, I'm going to move to a small town." seems to be waning over the past few years.

    Not making this up.

    Neither am I condemning anybody's lifestyle choices.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

  90. #290

    Default

    In my suburb, more people have moved into in it in the last 5 years than the entire population of downtown and oliver.

  91. #291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^^ honestly, in my corner of the suburbs, I hear people talking about moving Downtown almost every day (granted it's frequently the same people.) Empty nesters, young people, and one family of three. People sick of shoveling walks and mowing lawns (which I grant may be indicative of the design vintage of suburbia I live), people sick of driving, people wanting something more than token restaurants in strip malls. The chorus of "I'm not going near Downtown because it's so dangerous, I'm going to move to a small town." seems to be waning over the past few years.

    Not making this up.

    Neither am I condemning anybody's lifestyle choices.
    A very good point you brought up there. People did used to say they were moving to smaller towns because of less crime rates etc. Now they realize that small towns have the same problems as big cities so they are not saying that any more. The small towns are not any less safe than the suburbs and the suburbs are not any less safe than downtown.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  92. #292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^^ honestly, in my corner of the suburbs, I hear people talking about moving Downtown almost every day (granted it's frequently the same people.) Empty nesters, young people, and one family of three. People sick of shoveling walks and mowing lawns (which I grant may be indicative of the design vintage of suburbia I live), people sick of driving, people wanting something more than token restaurants in strip malls. The chorus of "I'm not going near Downtown because it's so dangerous, I'm going to move to a small town." seems to be waning over the past few years.

    Not making this up.

    Neither am I condemning anybody's lifestyle choices.
    We are talking about different things. Let's do a "Lotto Max" test. Suppose the people you are referring to does win $50M, chances are they will buy a much larger suburb residence with a giant lot and then simply hire someone to shovel the snow.

    The type I was talking about would likely to use the $50M to construct a few apartment towers with 99 sf units that use solar power and drink from recycled sewer content.

  93. #293

    Default

    If i won 50 M I probably would own a few places around the world. I could likely afford some to retire from work and being in the SW to be close to work wouldnt matter anymore. Id probably buy a nice penthouse condo downtown, but rarely ever be there.

    Id be constantly travelling with that money. Doubt a big house in the suburbs would be in the picture.

  94. #294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    If i won 50 M I probably would own a few places around the world. I could likely afford some to retire from work and being in the SW to be close to work wouldnt matter anymore. Id probably buy a nice penthouse condo downtown, but rarely ever be there.

    Id be constantly travelling with that money. Doubt a big house in the suburbs would be in the picture.
    Yeah, I'd keep the property I've got here for visits back home & then I'd GTFO to somewhere where the standard of living is higher. I'd have the cash to afford it & more importantly cash enough that I'd not have to live in the eternal compromise that I consider Edmonton.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  95. #295

    Default

    See, I have two living proof that they will increase their land and thus carbon foot print (and decrease their density), given enough money.

  96. #296

    Default

    The only "lowering of density" would occur in my current condo, where I would be leaving a unit vacant for my returns home.

    Otherwise I'd be increasing the density by moving into a downtown condo in Vancouver, occupying an existing vacant unit, raising the density of that block.

    Net density change = Zero.

    I'd never, ever, ever, ever, EVER consider a McMansion in Windermere. Why would I want a smaller lot & less privacy than my familial acreage in Sherwood Park? 5,000 square foot house on 3 1/3 acres, two minutes from Sherwood Park Freeway, 2 minutes from what becomes the Whitemud, 3 minutes from the Henday. And since it's an existing home, built 40 years ago & converted to run partially on geothermal & microgeneration it's got a carbon footprint lower than my downtown Oliver condo.

    Nice try though.
    Last edited by noodle; 04-12-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  97. #297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    The only "lowering of density" would occur in my current condo, where I would be leaving a unit vacant for my returns home.

    Otherwise I'd be increasing the density by moving into a downtown condo in Vancouver, occupying an existing vacant unit, raising the density of that block.

    Net density change = Zero.

    I'd never, ever, ever, ever, EVER consider a McMansion in Windermere. Why would I want a smaller lot & less privacy than my familial acreage in Sherwood Park? 5,000 square foot house on 3 1/3 acres, two minutes from Sherwood Park Freeway, 2 minutes from what becomes the Whitemud, 3 minutes from the Henday. And since it's an existing home, built 40 years ago & converted to run partially on geothermal & microgeneration it's got a carbon footprint lower than my downtown condo.

    Nice try though.
    Well, if you buy more property without having more children, you are lowering the density.

    And I don't see why a large lot in Sherwood Park is more sustainable than a large lot in Windermere. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion, but you don't make a convincing case by being a hypocrite.

  98. #298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eons View Post
    Well, if you buy more property without having more children, you are lowering the density.
    Not a breeder. No kids for me. Lots of revenue properties though. Just cos I buy it & don't live there doesn't mean it's unoccupied. Like I said, I'd leave one of my Oliver condos vacant while occupying a previously vacant Vancouver condo.

    So one more vacant property in Edmonton, one less vacant property in Vancouver. That's a wash, not a decrease in density. And I can always rent out the Oliver condo to make it a net increase in both cities.

    Quote Originally Posted by eons View Post
    And I don't see why a large lot in Sherwood Park is more sustainable than a large lot in Windermere.
    If you can't see how an existing home that's well-maintained & generates the majority of it's own water, power & heat on-site is more sustainable than a brand new McMansion built on a greenfield site at the edge of a sprawling metropolis, I don't know what to say.

    You not understanding basic math & ecology doesn't make me a hypocrite.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  99. #299

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eons View Post
    Well, if you buy more property without having more children, you are lowering the density.
    Not a breeder. No kids for me. Lots of revenue properties though. Just cos I buy it & don't live there doesn't mean it's unoccupied. Like I said, I'd leave one of my Oliver condos vacant while occupying a previously vacant Vancouver condo.

    So one more vacant property in Edmonton, one less vacant property in Vancouver. That's a wash, not a decrease in density. And I can always rent out the Oliver condo to make it a net increase in both cities.

    Quote Originally Posted by eons View Post
    And I don't see why a large lot in Sherwood Park is more sustainable than a large lot in Windermere.
    If you can't see how an existing home that's well-maintained & generates the majority of it's own water, power & heat on-site is more sustainable than a brand new McMansion built on a greenfield site at the edge of a sprawling metropolis, I don't know what to say.

    You not understanding basic math & ecology doesn't make me a hypocrite.
    This is exactly the kind of hypocrisy I was referring to.

    Since when was Sherwood Park not a "greenfield site at the edge of a sprawling metropolis"?

  100. #300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eons View Post
    This is exactly the kind of hypocrisy I was referring to.

    Since when was Sherwood Park not a "greenfield site at the edge of a sprawling metropolis"?
    The house is 40 years old. It hasn't been a greenfield since disco was king. It's existing housing stock at this point.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •