Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Renaming Connect2Edmonton to Connect2DowntownEdmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eons View Post
    This is exactly the kind of hypocrisy I was referring to.

Since when was Sherwood Park not a "greenfield site at the edge of a sprawling metropolis"?
    The house is 40 years old. It hasn't been a greenfield since disco was king. It's existing housing stock at this point.
    My house in Windermere was already built when I bought it. Does that mean I didn't contribute to sprawl?

Am i contributing to sprawl because i want to live near my work place to reduce my carbon footprint (amongst other reasons)?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Am i contributing to sprawl because i want to live near my work place to reduce my carbon footprint (amongst other reasons)?
    Nope. You made a choice based upon market factors & what was best for you & yours. I know you well enough to know you'd make an informed choice. I don't really dig how the SW has developed over time as a whole. City planners gave the city a lemon & you've made great lemonade (0 sarcasm here). Lots of people have.

I'm speaking more to eons' assertion that the only thing that keeps me from occupying as much land & reducing density as much as possible is financial & that if I had endless supplies of money I would march to the beat of his strange little drum.

Not the case at all. I prefer dense, urban environments & if I had a change of heart I've got a nicer, more environmentally friendly & sustainable option available to me than the nouveau riche McMansions he plies by trade.

Everyone has different factors & different choices to make based upon them. Windermere works great for some people, it'd be my worst nightmare.

I'm just categorically refuting eons "Lotto Max" test as it applies to me & mine.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I'd definitely pass the Lotto Max test because I am *so* not a lawns and gardens person and I will be single for the duration. I would like a customized condo (with that much money I don't have to worry about assessments, resale value, or condo and other fees). But it would be in a quiet highrise, preferably central (those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive).

highlander

People like those big houses on big lawns like they like free beer. I'd take any of the "dream home" lottery houses if I won, but there's zero chance I would ever spend money on a,place like that. Probably sell as fast as I could.

I guess I'm the only person here who really doesn't mind (and might actually enjoy) a little bit of yardwork/shovelling. To the point where I shovel the sidewalk in front of the park across the street regularly.

I've lived in a condo with no maintenance. Drove me crazy.

^ And I bless people like you Alex. It is so enjoyable walking through a neighborhood looking at people's gardens and yards.

I live in Mill Woods and have, for the most part, 30+ years now. I must be a real environmental insensitive douchebag.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^^ honestly, in my corner of the suburbs, I hear people talking about moving Downtown almost every day (granted it's frequently the same people.) Empty nesters, young people, and one family of three. People sick of shoveling walks and mowing lawns (which I grant may be indicative of the design vintage of suburbia I live), people sick of driving, people wanting something more than token restaurants in strip malls. The chorus of "I'm not going near Downtown because it's so dangerous, I'm going to move to a small town." seems to be waning over the past few years.

Not making this up.

Neither am I condemning anybody's lifestyle choices.
    We are talking about different things. Let's do a "Lotto Max" test. Suppose the people you are referring to does win $50M, chances are they will buy a much larger suburb residence with a giant lot and then simply hire someone to shovel the snow. ...
    Actually had that "lotto conversation" a few months ago with one of the people I was talking about (empty nester.) She said "Mexico" without a moment's hesitation. Doesn't solve much, I guess, but that's all I got.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^^ honestly, in my corner of the suburbs, I hear people talking about moving Downtown almost every day (granted it's frequently the same people.) Empty nesters, young people, and one family of three. People sick of shoveling walks and mowing lawns (which I grant may be indicative of the design vintage of suburbia I live), people sick of driving, people wanting something more than token restaurants in strip malls. The chorus of "I'm not going near Downtown because it's so dangerous, I'm going to move to a small town." seems to be waning over the past few years.

Not making this up.

Neither am I condemning anybody's lifestyle choices.
    A very good point you brought up there. People did used to say they were moving to smaller towns because of less crime rates etc. Now they realize that small towns have the same problems as big cities so they are not saying that any more. The small towns are not any less safe than the suburbs and the suburbs are not any less safe than downtown.
    I've lived for extended periods of time in all three environments. As far as crime goes, I've witnessed police sieges in small towns (twice in three years), open crack pipe sessions in the middle of the day downtown, and police choppers tracking perps over my house about once every quarter in the burbs. I do think violent crime is less obvious in the 'burbs (where I live now) because we are generally isolated more. Property crime seems about the same everywhere (including rural areas).

I have no preference. Each has it's charms. For me, your neighbors make a huge difference.
    "all we are say-ing ... is give beer a chaaaance"

^ Most things are closer together in density (people, stores, crime, etc.). It usually translates to greater convenience and efficiency, but because the people pskm rises with the crime pskm, it doesn't necessarily translate to greater danger to any random individual from crime.

True that "violent crime is less obvious in the 'burbs" in most cases, because along with people themselves, it's more spread-out. But if one counts violent crimes per daytime Downtown population, it's proportionally safer than over three quarters of the burbs (including mine.)

(This is including 7-11 on Jasper for those looking for brownie points from me.)

Pointedly, but I know fairly useless statistically, Windermere has had more murders in the last three months than Downtown, Boyle Street, Oliver, Rossdale, Riverdale, Cromdale, McCauley, Central McDougall, Queen Mary Park, and Westmount combined. (2 to 0).
    Last edited by JayBee; 05-12-2015 at 12:27 AM.

The term McMansion being thrown around is hilarious. Is that the only insult that people use these days for larger suburban lots? Most people I know can't even afford one of those "McMansions" and would LOVE to live in them.

Sometimes I feel people just slag on others who can actually afford things in life. Not saying jealousy is the main reason but its a main contributor.

In my personal experience, I find people who can't afford something usually has a negative view on that particular thing/person who can. Anecdotal, of course.

Also, only in this forum have I ever seen such a negative view for SW Edmonton. Lol, talk about echo chamber. Everyone I speak to IRL that live in SF homes, would love to live in the SW if they could afford it, speaks volumes in real life compared to these forums here :S.

NE Edmonton will always be the worst part of Edmonton for me. And I live North/Central.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Sickbones; 05-12-2015 at 12:26 AM.

I thought McMansion is referring to pretty much any 2 storey house in suburban areas regardless of the lot size.

Regardless, that is a negative connotation to suburban areas. Hence supporting the threads topic.

I didn't know it had a formal definition, but I thought it was more related to a newly constructed out-of-scale house in an older established neighbourhood.

Never used it myself, but it sounds more like a criticism of what some people call "infill" than of suburbia.

I didn't know it had a formal definition, but I thought it was more related to a newly constructed out-of-scale house in an older established neighbourhood.

Never used it myself, but it sounds more like a criticism of what some people call "infill" than of suburbia.
    It's probably a meaning for both. From what it seems like at least.. Still a childish way of trying to make a point.

If infill had to be to-scale in older established neighbourhoods there wouldn't be much infill.

^ most "infill" I see isn't much infill regardless the house sizes. One house replaced by another house should net around one family, no? At least the garage suites increase density somewhat, I guess, but mostly much ado about simple replacement.

This thread was better when it was about free beer...
    be offended! figure out why later...

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    Indeed. Free is always good!! Well, maybe not always

It still can be if you just believe hard enough

#jaerdo&noodlewalkintoabar
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Wasnt funny the first time you posted this.

See you guys/girls(?) at 8:00 at Brown's in Windermere.

Hey I just thought of a burn against suburbia for you DTers: "Windermerde"
    I don't know if anyone has used it before but I am copyrighting it.

I dont think I'll be able to make it, unfortunately. Have fun though!

Top_Dawg figgers youz guyz should wait til Saturday.

When UFC 194 is on.

That would be a party !

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    This is exactly the kind of hypocrisy I was referring to.

Since when was Sherwood Park not a "greenfield site at the edge of a sprawling metropolis"?
    The house is 40 years old. It hasn't been a greenfield since disco was king. It's existing housing stock at this point.
    Well, every one of suburb residents are living in existing housing stock.

If you want to find people not living in existing housing stock, look no further than downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerSlayer View Post
    See you guys/girls(?) at 8:00 at Brown's in Windermere.

Hey I just thought of a burn against suburbia for you DTers: "Windermerde"
    I don't know if anyone has used it before but I am copyrighting it.
    So head count on who else is going.

How will we know where the group is?

So head count on who else is going.

How will we know where the group is?
    Simple.

You'll see a bunch of dweebs that look like Constable Enos Strate.

That's the guys from suburbia.

Two tables away there will be a group of cornholios gazing at them enviously, whispering to each other: ' I can't wait unit we're all grown up and can be like them '.

That's the downtowners.

OK. That puts me in a dilemma. The DT folks don't want me amongst them cause I live 50 ft from the border. On the other hand, you would be hard pressed to consider my address as part of the suburbs. Hmm. I'll just sit in a table by myself looking disgruntled.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

may
    Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    OK. That puts me in a dilemma. The DT folks don't want me amongst them cause I live 50 ft from the border. On the other hand, you would be hard pressed to consider my address as part of the suburbs. Hmm. I'll just sit in a table by myself looking disgruntled.
    i can't make this evening's get together but due to prior conflicts rather than conflicting loyalties (those are to all of edmonton, not to any specific neighborhood). maybe those of us who are conflicted need to pick a more neutral/convenient time and location that serves single malt?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Didnt think anyone was actually going... Was anyone actually planning on going??

^Are you trying to renege on your promise?!

I'm down with going. Don't want to be the only one there though...

Anyone else?

I've got my bus stops programmed into my phone.

Ok cool eve b is in. I gotta bus it too as I have no car.

Whoever gets there first I guess just tell the hostess to direct anyone else that is coming for a group gathering to whatever table we get.

I don't have a cell plan so can't post here while I'm on the road so I hope there is free wifi there ��

Google maps says I should be there at 8:15 also I will have a black and white scarf
    Last edited by richardW; 10-12-2015 at 07:26 PM.

I've got my bus stops programmed into my phone.
    I WILL be there. If Medwards doesn't show it will quickly turn from DT vs. 'Burbs to "Hate On Medwards Night". I'm bringin' my drinkin' shoes!

PS. I'm wearing a black shirt with white stripes ... and I'm incredibly good looking. I'll be at the epicenter of a crowd of admirers.

Is anybody here?

Nisi Dominus Frustra

This reminds me of a Seinfeld episode

Well it happened. Me and BeerSlayer and richardW. But not Medwards. Is OK. Beer was drunk. Conversation was had.

I actually drove by there earlier but I have been getting heart tests all day and had to go home worn out. I settled for a pee and a tea to go at Tim's

Well that's good something happened at least.

I wasn't going. I had some pretentious Platinum Blonde on vinyl to listen too. And besides, there's a couple members I would just want to punch in the face (but probably wouldn't due to me being just a good guy).

Out of the three of us, which two did you want to punch out?

LOL Eve, none of you all that actually showed

After all, you're not on my ignore list. And there isn't many on it.

I take pride because I like to actually think I have some tolerance.

Typical. I knew he would be all talk and not actually show.

Wasnt funny the first time you posted this.
    #Jaerdo&Noodle&Medwardsdid'ntwalkintoabar

Wow, sounds like when the going get's tough the tough get going.
    Who instigates a get together then does not show up?. Man, words fail me.
    Good on ya the ones that did go, stay classy.

Beer was drunk.
    I wasn't THAT drunk!

Just kidding, I was. We had a good time. It was a pleasure to hang out with RichardW and EveB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    ^ A very important concept in stakeholder engagement theory is that one of the best ways of getting conflicting parties to sit down and talk calmly is to offer them a free meal. Even just free cheap snacks and coffee get people to show.
    Maybe try practising what you preach.

^Are you asking Jaerdo to take you out for dinner?

Crap, I knew I forgot something yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^Are you asking Jaerdo to take you out for dinner?
    Geez 99% of his posts don't compute so in person I should imagine he's the same. He would probably end up with the cream pie dessert in his face and be wearing a cone around his neck to stop from licking himself due to some quick operation I've just performed.
    Last edited by Gemini; 11-12-2015 at 04:42 PM.

I dunno, if I offered beers then nobody confirmed they'd be attending until a few hours before I might have made other plans too.

Im glad you guys were able to attend but since nobody actually committed to going until the last hour, i had other plans
    If someone wants to plan/propose another meet at a different location i will try to attend and make true with my offer of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Typical. I knew he would be all talk and not actually show.
    Did someone let you out of the LD stockroom again? Or have you been fired from that too now?

Awe isnt this cute i have a stalker whos mission in life is to know what job i apparently have.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Awe isnt this cute i have a stalker whos mission in life is to know what job i apparently have.
    You have your own pet stalker! What do you feed those? I hear they are hard to train.

Im glad you guys were able to attend but since nobody actually committed to going until the last hour, i had other plans
    If someone wants to plan/propose another meet at a different location i will try to attend and make true with my offer of beer.
    So, how do you know you are with the right group and not c2e lurkers going there to have fun? If I go, I think I want to be Gemini. Just look for my hairy legs. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

^Off side. Trust me, Gemini does not have hairy legs.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234