Thread: Workshop Eatery @ Mosaic

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Workshop Eatery @ Mosaic

Workshop Eatery poised to start production in Edmonton

LIANE FAULDER, EDMONTON JOURNAL

I popped into chef Paul Shufelt’s new restaurant space the other day. Even littered with construction tools, The Workshop Eatery looks mighty impressive, with its soaring bank of windows and rustic finishes. Already, raised vegetable garden beds are outside, ready for spring’s first breath, admittedly quite some distance away.

http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...on-in-edmonton
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'll never give Paul Shufelt any of my money or business again after he posted his screed against providing his workers a livable wage. The man is deplorable scum.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Tell us more nood.

This sounds interesting.

Paul is staunchly against the minimum wage hike.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/07/0...imum-wage-hike
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

That was a fairly well written article, but of course Noodle strikes again. I don't know Paul, nor his reputation for how he treats his staff, but he makes some very good points and talks about the realities of this potential decision. I am absolutely for 'livable wages', but how that is achieved is still open for debate.
    www.decl.org

Thanks noodle.

Well there's opinions for and against increasing the minimum wage.

Nothing sordid here.

Top_Dawg thought maybe he was importing TFWs and then raping their asses like some of the fast food restaurants who were exposed a few years ago.

But it's nothing like that.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 09-11-2015 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    That was a fairly well written article, but of course Noodle strikes again.
    Excuse me? How did I "strike again"?

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    That was a fairly well written article, but of course Noodle strikes again.
    Excuse me? How did I "strike again"?
    another drive by by Mr Mistake, I'll assume that he wont assert his opinion and just carry on as if he never said anything in the first place.

Point was that Paul had a well-founded and articulated opinion that was informed, educated and intelligent. Instead of applauding a new local enterprise, Dion chooses the low-road of calling out someone who has invested in our community, its people and has taken on huge personal risk...

Bravo.
    www.decl.org

Give me a break, Ian & get off your high horse.

If you can't run a business while paying your employees a living wage, you can't run a business. If your margins can't handle doing the appropriate thing by your workers, you shouldn't be in business.

To cry chicken little about the sky falling because your next venture won't make your initially-forecasted 450% of the return a typical restaurant makes because you have to pay your employees an appropriate wage is deplorable.

Saying "this is always the way it's been" is the cheapest cop-out against progressive change there is.

and think - if we paid those people a fair living wages, maybe they'd be able to afford something more centrally, instead of out in the burbs.

You two are cute, childish idiots who continually pollute this forum with your personal vendetta against local Internet celebrity iano, but cute. Oh and did I mention childish idiots, please stop wandering thread to thread doing this.

Can you all just stop with the personal name calling, it is getting very tiresome.
    For those that have a vendetta against other forumers, STOP IT.
    I don't want to see any more of that.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Super Addict

Paul is staunchly against the minimum wage hike.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/07/0...imum-wage-hike
    ... I began this career some 20 years ago. My first job in this industry started when I was 16. I answered a phone call from our neighbourhood restaurant where I had applied there months earlier, and now they were looking for a dishwasher. Less than an hour later I was washing my first dish in a restaurant. Although the work was tough and filthy I remember the pride I had when I came home, ecstatic that I had a part time job, and would be making $6 an hour, a whopping 15 cents more than minimum wage at the time.
    So when he got a start in the industry he was payed above minimum wage and now has the gall to wish to deny this to others?

Entrepreneur my arse.
    Last edited by expat; 10-11-2015 at 10:05 AM.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Can you all just stop with the personal name calling, it is getting very tiresome.
    For those that have a vendetta against other forumers, STOP IT.
    I don't want to see any more of that.
    ThomasH - are you referring to someone in general?
    Last edited by Medwards; 10-11-2015 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    You two are cute, childish idiots who continually pollute this forum with your personal vendetta against local Internet celebrity iano, but cute. Oh and did I mention childish idiots, please stop wandering thread to thread doing this.
    Danc if you have nothing to add, please just chill out. Iano can stroke his own without your help im sure. C2E isnt meant to be an echo chamber or a place where everyone agrees. Instead its a place that should foster debate from different viewpoints. Iano might seem like he is responded to the most but its only because he makes up about 25% of the entire posts on this forum. Boy who posts lots gets lots of responses. Maybe your true message should be sent to iano in that he posts too much.
    Last edited by Medwards; 10-11-2015 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Entrepreneur my arse. If some of the posters here weren't so myopically downtown obsessed, they'd likely be the first to call this dude out for what he actually is.
    Heck, this isn't even downtown. This is in the deep SW of town. I can't figure out why IanO has such a hard on to defend someone who's spouting PC rhetoric. I'd wager his employer or one of his pals has ties to the restaurant itself & he's astroturfing yet again.

C2E Super Addict

Entrepreneur my arse. If some of the posters here weren't so myopically downtown obsessed, they'd likely be the first to call this dude out for what he actually is.
    Heck, this isn't even downtown. This is in the deep SW of town. I can't figure out why IanO has such a hard on to defend someone who's spouting PC rhetoric. I'd wager his employer or one of his pals has ties to the restaurant itself & he's astroturfing yet again.
    Post edited accordingly.

Note to self: Read links before posting.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Sorry no, I don't, just like the idea of a new local.

*Yes it is a tenant in the Mosiac Centre, we designed it, but it has no relation to myself.
    www.decl.org

Hahaha, thanks for confirming you're an astroturfing shill Ian. Props for owning up to it (genuinely).

I have no ties to the building, its owners, its tenants... but keep thinking that bra.
    www.decl.org

Bwahahaha. You just said you work for the firm that designed it. Which is it? Either you've got professional ties to the building or you don't.

(And please, don't be disrespectfully over familiar with me. We aren't friends, buddies, acquaintances, amigos, chums, contemporaries, or anything of the sort, dude.)

What does women's under garments have to do with this?

I work for the firm who designed it, past tense, it is now theirs... and an amazing building at that with a potentially great new local tenant offering something more than Edo or Ojs in that part of the city.

You guys tell me to compliment good things happening in areas outside of the Downtown and when I do you think it is because of a tie to a project I was not personally involved in.

Bravo guys, bravo.
    www.decl.org

so your okay with the owners not wanting to pay a decent living wage?

Ignore
    www.decl.org

Is not kinda funny that the one single entity you choose to support in all of places not downtown is in a building you worked on the design for, and the single line you quoted from the article was about the design of the building?

It is one of the most impressive buildings in the city, NOT Downtown with a new local food place. When your Currents has something notable to discuss, give me a call.
    www.decl.org

I work for the firm who designed it, past tense, it is now theirs... and an amazing building at that with a potentially great new local tenant offering something more than Edo or Ojs in that part of the city.
    You guys tell me to compliment good things happening in areas outside of the Downtown and when I do you think it is because of a tie to a project I was not personally involved in.

Bravo guys, bravo.
    And when I put up an article showing that this "potentially great new local tenant" is infact a contemptible, exploitative PC windbag whose entire business plan requires paying a lower-than-living wage & is only one notch below the Stollery-donating thugs, you take it as a personal attack against you & then call me out for providing actual relevant information to the discussion as something negative.

Whatever.

I don't know Paul, nor how he operates other than the fact that you jumped all over someone doing something interesting, local, unique and with an incredibly well written letter.

Amok is so incredibly apropos.
    www.decl.org

It is one of the most impressive buildings in the city, NOT Downtown with a new local food place. When your Currents has something notable to discuss, give me a call.
    XIX - been there yet? Probably one of the best restaurants in town.

I'm still waiting for the better parts of currents to be built. Seems your getting awfully defensive, why limit the discussion to the building you worked on and just currents? There's a lot more to the city that just the building you worked on, currents and downtown.
    I certainly don't limit myself to one small portion of the city, not sure why I'm bound by currents, and neither should you.
    Last edited by Medwards; 10-11-2015 at 02:55 PM.

I don't know Paul, nor how he operates other than the fact that you jumped all over someone doing something interesting, local, unique...
    Because the business model for this restaurant precludes him paying a living wage. He exploits his ability to pay his workers less as a way to pad his bottom line. Whether it was well-written or not is irrelevant when it comes down to him whining that the government forcing him to provide a working, living wage for his employees affects his personal take-home bottom line. Boofrickinhoo. I'm far more concerned that his wait staff & dishwashers don't have to rely on social services on top of a full time job than the rate at which Paul's net worth increases.

You're defending someone who actively exploits his workforce for his own personal gain. I think you've managed to find a way I actually COULD think less of you Ian, well done. Raising the bar in lowering expectations.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

As an FYI to people working in high-stress environments like a restaurant for next to nothing in return: there are other options. A relative of mine in high school just got a very flexible hours job at a grocery store. With a first aid class giving an extra dollar, they make $14.75 per hour stocking shelves. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind work in a restaurant, one of the worst work environments out there, for minimum wage?
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 10-11-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    XIX - been there yet? Probably one of the best restaurants in town.
    Not yet no, odd actually since the owner was a good bud from H.S., but planning on it for a special occasion.

Heard good things, well, other than price.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    As an FYI to people working in high-stress environments like a restaurant for next to nothing in return: there are other options. A relative of mine in high school just got a very flexible hours job at a grocery store. With a first aid class giving an extra dollar, they make $14.75 per hour stocking shelves. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind work in a restaurant, one of the worst work environments out there, for minimum wage?
    Hard to collect tips in the grocery store. Some servers make more in tips than wages. Some establishments now tips are shared amongst all the staff including back help. The exception would be McDs where tipping is not allowed and other fast food places where tips are minimal
    Last edited by Drumbones; 10-11-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Any server that I have ever known makes 30-50% of their income in tips, if not more... shhh. There is NO way these are not 'living wages'.
    www.decl.org

It's not just about front-of-house people.

And by falling back on the old "tipping" excuse why servers should be short changed on wages just means you think it's the patron's responsibility to ensure their server has their insufficient salary topped up to a living wage & not the employer.

Tipping is a strange North American custom that serves no purpose but to facilitate just these sorts of arguments & allow restaurateurs to dick over their staff while shuffling blame from themselves to the employee when they come up short of money to live.

I don't completely disagree with you, but again, anyone I know who worked rest/bar had no complaints.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

You would think the restaurant business would be happy to have living minimum wages. That way the restaurant down the street can't undercut his prices.

Would higher menu prices make any difference to diners if they didn't have to pay a 'tip' anymore. I doubt it.