Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jasper 108 street - two towers

Hope to hear something more soon. This is a badly needed development.

C2E Continued Contributor

ughhhh why isn't this happening on the 106th block? I hhhhhhate that block.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Because they don't own that land...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

i get it. just raging cuz i hate that block.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The block that this is on is far worse than 106th IMO. Litter, urine and vomit stains on the sidewalk and in the LRT entrance, a building was demolished and replaced with concrete barriers and gravel, and that damn electronic billboard...
    Don't feed the trolls!

C2E Posting Power

^ I hope new development will make the litter, urine and vomit stains go away, but I'm not sure that it will.

Just dump 10,000 litres of bleach on the thing and we should be okay for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    ^ I hope new development will make the litter, urine and vomit stains go away, but I'm not sure that it will.
    Well Knoxvilles will be gone. That will help immensely
    Don't feed the trolls!

DECL had a pre-app meeting with the Jasper and 108st/El Mirador development group last night. Excellent partners, ie. John Day, Pangman, MacLab. 4 slim towers, ~6000sqft floor plates, units in the 500-750sqft, a mix of 1 and 2bdrm, considerable retail on the main floor along Jasper and 108st. Ideally they want to do the SW tower first along Jasper, followed by the other tower on Jasper and will do the entire parkade for the first 2 towers together. Phase 2 will be the 2 north towers. They are looking at working with the city to remove the awkward LRT entrance along Jasper and incorporate it into the tower similar to Williams Engineering or Cambridge Lofts. They want to get going on this by fall 2016.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sounds great, thanks for info Ian.

I'd rather C2E than work!

The has my support but would like to see renders. Who is the design architect?

C2E SME

Sounds very interesting. It would be nice for them to change out that LRT entrance and would be great to be incorporated into the building. Here's hoping this project keeps gaining steam.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Can we have 4 threads named Tower 1,2, 3 and 4. Make the posts in this thread part of Tower 1? Later correct names for each tower as they proceed with design and construction?

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Can we have 4 threads named Tower 1,2, 3 and 4. Make the posts in this thread part of Tower 1? Later correct names for each tower as they proceed with design and construction?
    We didn't do so for Fox... these seem to be all part of one development with a shared podium versus separate and they will most likely share a similar design look. Likewise, Healy hasn't been separated into 3 threads either.

1 thread please and thank you.

Dialog is the architect

The towers are orientated north/south, residences will start on floor 2 rather than office or other uses.

Spacing is ~13m (25m required).
    www.decl.org

^ Residences on floor 2 facing jasper ave? That is unique.

Amenity space and residences.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

This sounds great! Are there any bits of pubic/private green space to be included?

C2E SME

I'm really curious what renders are out there and how the podium with interact with Jasper ave as well as weith 108st.

^^the north buildings will have a courtyard of sorts and they are looking at doing something on the north side of the lane way.

The massing/renderings are good, albeit preliminary. Lots of at grade retail, modern.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

Would be nice if they could squeeze in a tiny strip of green of some sort on the end facing jasper - would give that corner a bit more life. Glad this project is going ahead, but I lament the loss of the El Mirador

When will we be able to see those renderings?
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Is the execrable roadhouse about to get the razing it requires?

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Must be. I saw #savetheroadhouse or something like that, hashtags, on instagram the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Must be. I saw #savetheroadhouse or something like that, hashtags, on instagram the other day.
    Maybe they meant this:

It hasn't been Oil City Roadhouse in years...
    Don't feed the trolls!

Oh right. It is knoxville's now. Obviously, I frequent the place all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I'd guess we will see more developed drawings by mid Q1/16 or so.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    bump.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Journal article
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ntown-edmonton

It notes that John Day owns the Mirador
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Excerpting some key details from that article:

Each pair of towers would be linked by a two- or three-storey base with commercial space, and the total project would contain approximately 800 units, said McKee, whose firm is acting as development manager for owners John Day and Maclab Enterprises. ...

They’ll decide whether to proceed in 2016, and construction could start late that year, he said.

Day indicated last summer there’s room for new, upscale hotels downtown. While the project will be mostly residential, they haven’t decided whether it will involve hotels, condominiums or rental apartments, McKee said. ...

The design of the proposed redevelopment isn’t complete, so it’s too early to tell what will happen to El Mirador, McKee said.

“We will work with the heritage officer. We haven’t made the decision if they will be taken down or incorporated.”

John Day's most recent residential development leaves a great deal to be desired, both podium and tower.

To lose the Mirador Apts for another J22 would be a tragedy. I think DT community league really needs to keep an eye on this going forward.

And EDC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    John Day's most recent residential development leaves a great deal to be desired, both podium and tower.

To lose the Mirador Apts for another J22 would be a tragedy. I think DT community league really needs to keep an eye on this going forward.
    We are and as per post above, we have already met with them.
    www.decl.org

We definitely need to have these towers look good as they are adjacent to Jasper; and, hopefully, will influence some momentum to Boston Pizza block.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post

We are and as per post above, we have already met with them.
    And?

Post #109
    www.decl.org

With the oil industry going into a major slump in Alberta I am hoping for this and all other projects we've been discussing in the city to go ahead and at least keep the Edmonton economy buoyant. An announcement by Sohi for the go ahead on some major infrastructure projects such as Valley West, Yellowhead, and maybe a couple of others would be nice and really keep us positive. Would be a nice time for the province to commit to a tower to replace the Annex and the Terrace buildings now too. Like 102 st Center and maybe another. Not necessarily to built them but commit to a lease so someone else could go ahead with them. Law Courts tower similar to Calgarys only a bit taller and handsomer would also be a nice announcement. If we fall into 'stop everything' mode it could be like the domino theory and we could be in trouble. Nice to see things keep going. imo
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-12-2015 at 02:05 PM.

^ agreed 99%.

Just keep the Annex for historical reasons.

Also add: time to hand over the Neil Crawford Centre to the U of A and consolidate.

Wish we had a render of this project to talk about...

^early new year.
    www.decl.org

Administrator *

I will remind you Jan. 2

^ ha ha, how endearing.

Any word on that render? Or the project in general?

Nothing concrete.

Some residents of El Mirador have organized an event in March to bring awareness of the building, I understand they would like to see it saved.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1661670957383323/
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 20-02-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    www.decl.org

Considering how this project will bring residents to the Capital Boulevard and help activate a rather nasty corner? I say doze this one down. Not everything old is always worth saving and sometimes it's healthy for a city not to cling to the past.

This isn't a Tegler building.

Given who owns the Mirador and his past heritage restoration efforts, I would guess he'll be incorporating this into the development if feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Journal article

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Given who owns the Mirador and his past heritage restoration efforts, I would guess he'll be incorporating this into the development if feasible.

Journal article

Interesting! I wonder how it could be incorporated. Possibly just a facade thing?

^In the case of this building, I would not consider its facade as being necessarily important or worth preserving, but rather the entire building is what is inherently interesting (the courtyard or the roof in addition to the building exterior for example). If this would be 'incorporated' I would imagine the new buildings simply skirting around it, leaving it more or less as is. In this instance, preserving only the building's facade would look comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    ^In the case of this building, I would not consider its facade as being necessarily important or worth preserving, but rather the entire building is what is inherently interesting (the courtyard or the roof in addition to the building exterior for example). If this would be 'incorporated' I would imagine the new buildings simply skirting around it, leaving it more or less as is. In this instance, preserving only the building's facade would look comical.
    Agreed. Honestly I want a teardown. I want this building to maximize potential with street and pedestrian interaction and this along with Augustana can really boost Capital Blvd.

^I don't think it should be torn down. This building adds more to capital blvd than a coffee shop ever would or could. It's so absolutely unusual - as if we were once colonized by Mexico and this is the last remaining relic.

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    ^I don't think it should be torn down. This building adds more to capital blvd than a coffee shop ever would or could. It's so absolutely unusual - as if we were once colonized by Mexico and this is the last remaining relic.
    lol Yeah it totally has that feeling. I just feel like Capital Blvd has the potential to be like Granville in Vancouver in a decade or two. We need less of this/recessed shops and more restaurants, bars, and a venue or two.

It's subjective though. I think Charles Camsell Hospital adds to the city so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If the El Mirador is retained, maybe it doesn't even have to remain residential. I wonder if it can be repurposed into retail, small offices and an eatery or two. Imagine a restaurant making use of that courtyard!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The Mirador is not a building that needs to be saved. Sure, Edmonton has failed utterly in some sense when it comes to preserving architectural gems from its past, but this building does not meet the threshold test in any sense. I find it super tacky actually. Sometimes we get ridiculous in this city trying to "save" every little building, no matter how insignificant.
    Hater of Stucco and Exposed Concrete Exteriors

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Walk by it and it's in pretty poor shape these days. The money to save it would be huge. I like the idea of turning it into office space with retail in the plaza, but that's likely just a fantasy. I think it would be a neat place, but it's probably not going to happen in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, i do like the place, but it is a bit tacky and the years haven't been particularly good to it. If it sees a wrecking ball and something replaces it, wouldn't be the worst thing to happen. It's not an architectural beauty, but it is cute. That's not likely worthy of saving it.

To me it's simply a fish out of water. I believe the future of Capital Blvd should be focused on chic, centralized living. I want to see Corona Station extended into the building with a food court and a mixture of commercial and retail development. Something like this will bring a lot of walking traffic North and Southbound on what is a rather silent street that roars potential. Modernize it. Densify it.

Or the El Mirador can be a unique feature on a potentially homogenized condo strip.

Or the El Mirador can be a unique feature on a potentially homogenized condo strip.
    Potentially. Honestly I want to see renderings. We can't really make a judgement call either for or against unless we know what is going to be built.

It absolutely should be saved. A modern building can be cantilevered out above it.

Density, height and FAR could be transferred to preserve, this is done in many cities... how about here?
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I like El Mirador and would love to see it preserved in one way or another.

The opportunity cost of doing something better with that corner is simply too great. As has been said above, the Mirador is not exactly another Tegler Building. I would be more than ecstatic seeing it torn down for a condo tower with good street-level interaction.

El Mirador is mid-block.

Cut it up and rebuild it along Ada blvd lol

I just wanted to give a heads up for anyone planning on attending that the event date has changed to March 29th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1661670957383323/
    Last edited by IanO; 22-02-2016 at 12:47 PM.
    www.decl.org

It is a wood frame building with a relatively short life span. Is it really worth it?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

highlander

That's the reason I'm OK with losing it. It's not a solid building that you could rebuild, it's really just a cheap stick building with interesting themed details, and with a neat courtyard, and the details are all stucco.

The decision to preserve or destroy historical buildings should be based on its history and character and what it meant to generations of citizens, not its material. The Strathcona Hotel is just wood frame, therefore it should be wiped off the face of the earth as well?

it's on 10147 and that's not mentioned in the plan so maybe half will be saved. but really, it's up to the owner. no point in getting upset

The decision to preserve or destroy historical buildings should be based on its history and character and what it meant to generations of citizens, not its material. The Strathcona Hotel is just wood frame, therefore it should be wiped off the face of the earth as well?
    I agree to a certain extent, but there are some realities that come with a building that's wood frame, specifically with respect to its longevity. The decision should be made with full consideration of the opportunity costs, and whether or not the building will add something more to the future of the area than the alternative decision would.

With the high condo inventory and rental vacancy rates on the rise, I can see this project being put on hold until we see an improvement in the economy.

It is living on borrowed time.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

^ Mirador, or the Strath?

Quote Originally Posted by denon99 View Post
    With the high condo inventory and rental vacancy rates on the rise, I can see this project being put on hold until we see an improvement in the economy.
    I have to agree. I don't expect this one to take off any time soon.

^ Mirador, or the Strath?
    I believe he was speaking of the Strath.

Actually there's plenty of wood-framed buildings in older buildings that can last for centuries. What mostly concerns me is how saving this building would impact street interaction.

I guess it won't be known until we see renderings as stated before. If this is another J22 then save it. If we're trying to build an ultima then scrap this one for progress.

^^
    The oil patch will rebound and Edmonton has been fairly isolated from the layoffs that Calgary has experienced. This is a good time to built this as oil price is suppose to rebound to $80/barrel by 2020.

^supposed to. How can you even out that in a sentence with a straight face. You have no clue what oil will do... That being said, I agree that now is the time to build, not when the economy is overheated and labour is nonexistent.

If not for this forum I wouldn't have even known the El Mirador existed and I have been here a long time. A couple of months ago I did pass by it and thought it was neat to see such a building in downtown. Saying that is it worth saving and having the heritage label? That's definitely questionable. What is the historic value of this building?

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    ^^
    The oil patch will rebound and Edmonton has been fairly isolated from the layoffs that Calgary has experienced. This is a good time to built this as oil price is suppose to rebound to $80/barrel by 2020.
    I'm development-armchair speculating on this one. I have no idea what will happen to be honest. Unless someone in the know has something to say on this, I still think it'll be a bit before this one goes ahead.

C2E SME

It's pretty safe to assume that just about any project that isn't already in the ground is not likely to proceed this spring/summer. People and money are heading for the exits pretty fast now.

Projects of this size, especially direct control rezoning that are required to go to Council can take 2 years for consultation, design, etc. The project isn't being designed for today.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by PumpIt View Post
    If not for this forum I wouldn't have even known the El Mirador existed and I have been here a long time. A couple of months ago I did pass by it and thought it was neat to see such a building in downtown. Saying that is it worth saving and having the heritage label? That's definitely questionable. What is the historic value of this building?
    The majority of Edmontonians have no knowledge of any historic buildings in this city, doesn't mean they aren't worth saving. I've even had people who've lived here their whole lives not know what the hotel Macdonald was. Familiarity=/=historical.

That it has questionable historic value could be said about most buildings. Whats so special about the Strathcona Hotel? It's just a wood frame hotel, and is honestly pretty plain looking. But it's special because it gives us a snapshot into the past, of what this city came from and what it was once like. Same goes for this building, just in a slightly different manner.
    Last edited by seamusmcduffs; 23-02-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    It's pretty safe to assume that just about any project that isn't already in the ground is not likely to proceed this spring/summer. People and money are heading for the exits pretty fast now.
    I assume you're also referring to the Lutheran church site over on 108th street and the Maclaren development. Both were planned to go this year.

But perhaps, the sun and the spring will lift people's spirits.

C2E SME

I assume you're also referring to the Lutheran church site over on 108th street and the Maclaren development. Both were planned to go this year.

No, I wasn't referring to any specific projects. Just the general market place. It'll be interesting to see if any of the "other" tower projects outside of the Ice District go ahead this year. MacLaren, Augustana, Jasper House, Healy lands, Encore, and a couple others were all angling towards starting sometime this year.

No, I wasn't referring to any specific projects. Just the general market place. It'll be interesting to see if any of the "other" tower projects outside of the Ice District go ahead this year. MacLaren, Augustana, Jasper House, Healy lands, Encore, and a couple others were all angling towards starting sometime this year.
    Considering some of these were rentals as well, I'd imagine they'll hold off as well, since rentals are taking a huge hit right now as well.

I think Encore goes ahead though. The sales, if I remember correctly, were quite strong.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post

Considering some of these were rentals as well, I'd imagine they'll hold off as well, since rentals are taking a huge hit right now as well.

I think Encore goes ahead though. The sales, if I remember correctly, were quite strong.
    Higher end rentals, which a lot of these towers would end up being, are also being pushed out by the new condos coming online - they end up being the secondary rental market (this CMHC report gives some good insight - http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/odpub/esu...3_2015_B02.pdf). There are a ton of rentals in the Icons, Fox's, and one can assume the same will happen in Ultima - on top of the completed primary rentals soon to come - The Oliver, Hendrix, Edgewater.

I can see Encore going ahead (but 2016 seems lofty; my bet was 2017) due to the location helping out both people that want to own, and again, the secondary market being easier to rent due to the location, but some of the other towers, could have more difficulty. Augustana (and had a probable 2016 start previously) could be a good bet based on all the GoA offices in the immediate vicinity.

I'd assume Marcel will have more insight on many of these projects in the coming year and whether they are moving ahead or not, in terms of trades being tendered though. Will be an interesting year in the Spring.
    Last edited by Moodib; 23-02-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    ^supposed to. How can you even out that in a sentence with a straight face. You have no clue what oil will do... That being said, I agree that now is the time to build, not when the economy is overheated and labour is nonexistent.
    I didn't out anything but reiterated what was said by experts across the board regarding what the Saudi's plans are- low oil prices until 2020 then 70/80 a barrel.

Encore might have a chance, and I think they could benefit like the Regency did with the Pearl: building when cheap to do so, selling when on top of the market (but I'm not guaranteeing it for them, lol.) But then Ultima will barely finish this year, and Westrich has been through the "bite off more than can chew" lesson already. I'd also guess Encore for 2017.

Not sure the Massey Harris project has the most buxom financiers nearby, but I think the rental model next to both MacEwan and NorQuest still has merit.

Meanwhile I'd still love to see what this project had in mind. Are we still not allowed to see a massing diagram?

^If I had it, i'd post it. Picture 2 slim but long to the north towers on jasper with a 2-3 storey podium and the same rotated 90 north of the alley.
    www.decl.org

^Also, proposing a small courtyard.
    www.decl.org

highlander

^that's great news. I was thinking that a courtyard - especially one lined by balconies, would be a good way to pay tribute to el mirador.
    Build it to a similar scale with low-is ceiling heights, and some timeless materials like wood doors and windows instead of aluminum, and it could be at least as good as the facadoplasties that Kelly-Ramsay got.

Residents hope to preserve Spanish-style 1935 apartment building in Edmonton
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2558929/re...g-in-edmonton/

Residents contemplate how to save Edmonton's El Mirador
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...l-mirador.html

Hope to see some of you there tonight.
    www.decl.org

Decent turnout at yellowhead for El Mirador and the Patricia Annex, more discussion needed.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Anything interesting talked about?

Good discussion about the need for better identification of these assets, how to get them on the registry and the importance of inclusive/eclectic housing options across the city.
    www.decl.org

I went by El Mirador today, and I have to say I am even more convinced that it is not worth saving. The building is definitely falling apart at this point.

For those who want to save it: what would "saving" the building look like? If it's designated as a historic structure, what then? The way the building is right now I can't imagine pouring money into it (especially public money). It's not going to take too many more freeze-thaw cycles to put the final nail in this building's coffin. If one were going to save it I think they would have needed to start that campaign about 25 years ago. As long as Day doesn't build another catastrophe like J22 (sorry, the "Oliver"), then why are we opposing a development that will house hundreds more people downtown? I just don't get it. This is one example where I think we get stupid with trying to "save" buildings that have no business being saved.

There are non-superficial cracks like this in the concrete all around the building:
    Last edited by Brutalism Sucks; 31-03-2016 at 10:49 PM.

^just like I said, she isn't in very good shape.

If it wasn't threatened to be demolished would anyone have come forward to save it from itself and by that I mean the current tenant and owners...?
    They let it rot and now that it rightfully should be torn down based on it's state of repair they are looking around for someone to save it.
    I like the building, always have, but shame on the owner, the tenants and the community who let it rot and are using the new development to undo their wrongs.
    Where was this push before it was let to turn into a failing structure.?

Moral of the story - If you have a unique, interesting, historic and important asset, don't maintain it, don't reinvest in it and eventually demolish it.
    www.decl.org

While vertical and horizontal cracking are important they typically do not affect the strength of the wall. If you have a vertical crack gravity acts downward on the load each side of the crack so you can support virtually the same load as an uncracked wall. With horizontal cracks the load transfers to the bottom portion and it will still support close to the same weight. Lateral pressure from the ground of course can deform a cracked wall far easier however.

Diagonal cracks to affect the strength of a wall and any non-superficial cracks deserve attention, this is because the load can result in movement and collapse.
    http://www.accutekhomeinspection.com...y/struct2.html

Most of El Mirador's cracking seems fairly minor, however the brick foundation does look like it is starting to crumble and seem to be cracking on a diagonal pattern. This might be quite a bit bigger job than repointing and restucco-ing. It might require quite a bit of falsework to support the building while portions are rebuilt. As well the portion of the window lintel that is collapsing needs to get looked at fairly soon too. The window sills look decorative rather than structural so while they are failing it doesn't affect the structural integrity.

Without looking at the roof and interior it is hard to say how much repairs will be needed, the list above is already is the neighborhood of few hundred thousand.

I'd love for them to save El Mirador, I like the design of the building, not sure the owners think it is worth it though. But I also want to see this project proceed.
    Last edited by sundance; 01-04-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast