Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Jasper 108 street - two towers

C2E Continued Contributor

It should be stated (regarding the comments above of a potential condo glut) that multiple developments amongst one another actually make each other more attractive to buyers. One tower in the dust bowl, something like Jasper House, could be considered a risky and speculative purchase if you compare it to a redeveloping area with things like park amenities and the cumulative retail/office space of a community that is now, developing as a whole.

Also, considering the number of people moving to the city coupled with its population growth, its not unreasonable to believe that a small percentage of those tens of thousands of people will want to live central.

I dont know about you, but even as a property owner, I prefer downward pressures on this market. Id rather my kids not experience extraordinary housing costs or a supply shortage of units.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
    Jasper and 108st towers.

The 2 comments at the beginning of the story are classic lol.

Why do you oppose these towers....

Answer...There are a lot of condo towers around in Edmonton.

Answer...Everywhere you see high rise buildings....they take away the view.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1611443
    So they can't say what they want, because you disagree, typical lefty who won't allow differing thoughts..
    The want to quiet discenting voices and a refusal to explore all sides of an issue go beyond the left. It includes the right as well....

But thanks for trying. Best run along back to the rebel.

C2E Long Term Contributor

'Also, considering the number of people moving to the city coupled with its population growth, it’s not unreasonable to believe that a small percentage of those tens of thousands of people will want to live central.'

A growing number of those and certainly the expanding 18-35 group generally want to be more centrally located.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
    Jasper and 108st towers.

The 2 comments at the beginning of the story are classic lol.

Why do you oppose these towers....

Answer...There are a lot of condo towers around in Edmonton.

Answer...Everywhere you see high rise buildings....they take away the view.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1611443
    So they can't say what they want, because you disagree, typical lefty who won't allow differing thoughts..
    The want to quiet discenting voices and a refusal to explore all sides of an issue go beyond the left. It includes the right as well....

But thanks for trying. Best run along back to the rebel.
    The rebel what? You know more about it obviously, I thought it was shut down. Anyway lefty, hope you don't have a condo for sale..lol

At minimum, I can see rentals doing well if they create some student-friendly places. Blocks from MacEwan and two LRT stops from the U of A. The Mayfair seems to rent to a lot of (wealthier) international students, and I could see this development capturing some of them as well.
    Twenty one, thirty one, and seven twenty-seven.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    'Also, considering the number of people moving to the city coupled with its population growth, its not unreasonable to believe that a small percentage of those tens of thousands of people will want to live central.'

A growing number of those and certainly the expanding 18-35 group generally want to be more centrally located.
    I think many of the current projects under development or proposed downtown are fairly well located, close to transit and or LRT, which I think will help their appeal. I think as the city continues to grow, it will continue to become more attractive to live downtown or centrally for those work or spend significant time downtown, as travel times from outlying areas increases due to distance and congestion.

I can tell you without reservation that we are significantly under built from a residential perspective.
    www.decl.org

https://edmontonjournal.com/life/hom...crowded-market

Moving condos isn't easy, in fact it's harder now, than this report in sept 2018.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    I can tell you without reservation that we are significantly under built from a residential perspective.

And a good portion of the downtown residential stock is ancient garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L.
    Moving condos isn't easy, in fact it's harder now, than this report in sept 2018.

Good thing this development is 70% institutional rental, then. Take your act to another thread, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO

And a good portion of the downtown residential stock is ancient garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L.

Good thing this development is 70% institutional rental, then. Take your act to another forum outside of C2E, please.
    FTFY
    FU x 2

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Edmonton is going to reach ~ 2 million population by the time these developments are ready. We're growing by 30,000/year and have received steady growth in population over the last 7 years. #more towers please.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Walked by this site on my way home today and both the Money Mart and Queen Donair appear to be permanently closed now.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wonder what's going on with the El Mirador?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandonite View Post
    Walked by this site on my way home today and both the Money Mart and Queen Donair appear to be permanently closed now.
    Was that due to the fire that happened earlier this week?
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Really excited about this one... If it looks like the renders its gonna light up that area so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandonite View Post
    Was that due to the fire that happened earlier this week?
    I would say great guess with the obvious. Why spend money to renovate so it can be deconstructed shortly?

^
    I think the render will be underwhelming compare to to eventual final product TBH. Im also excited with this as it is very cosmo just like Healy; both of these projects have the "major city" look and appeal. They will definitely transform us into that realm.
    Last edited by ctzn-Ed; 15-02-2019 at 08:37 PM.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Are you suggesting arson to speed up the process? Kind of like the Arlington?

Got to stop listening to Coast to Coast.

I suggested nothing. A fire has just occurred there; a permit is requested for redevelopment. If you were the proprietors of the establishments affected, would you spend time and money in rebuilding in a spot that will be torn down shortly then have to rebuild with money and non-profit gestation again? You couldn't see that problem rIght off the bat?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I offered hyperbole. You didn't read the other sentence of my post?

The world seems to want to get things moving on the redevelopment of the east sides of Jasper and 108th. Fire on the northside and flood on the south!

Reminder - 108st/Jasper open house tonight from 4-6pm at the First Presbyterian on 105/south of Jasper.
    www.decl.org

Did anyone go? I would have attended if I didn't have to work late.
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Was climbing a volcano, Id be curious to hear what anyone had to say from the meeting.

Did anyone go? I would have attended if I didn't have to work late.
    Mix of opinions, but many were impressed, others lamenting the loss of ELM/PA.
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Good attendance according to CoE folks, lots of consultants but also mix of community members and business people.

Some new street level renderings:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0xgj43dlxw...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ft2elo6vck...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1r12672t0...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twzglem9fw...%20PM.jpg?dl=0
    www.decl.org

Has the inevitable "Save the El Mirador!!!!" petition been started on change.org yet?

FYI, Jasper tower is rental, 108 Street tower is condos (at this point).
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Thanks for the photos. Question though, what is up with 108th rendered as the vehicular traffic road and 107th as the pedestrian friendly cobblestone street?

Quote Originally Posted by nickv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Thanks for the photos. Question though, what is up with 108th rendered as the vehicular traffic road and 107th as the pedestrian friendly cobblestone street?
    Long term future of 107 Street is up discuss since the Warehouse Park will span both sides. From that rendering, they imagine something that could be integrated into the park but still open to vehicle traffic at times. There's a bunch of possible different solutions.

108 Street was recently upgraded and will stay as is for at least the next 30 years.
    www.decl.org

Hopefully they sort out the large waterline along 108 St. that's failed twice and done serious flood damage, most recently closing the Denny's indefinitely.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^Didn't realize Denny's was closed. Water main breaks all over the City though.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

There's been a pretty large number of them blowing in and around 102 avenue in the CBD, though. I don't know how old the lines are etc, but the frequency does seem to be pretty high over the last few years. Phillips Lofts lost water for 2-3 days a few years ago, and a full day last year I believe. That's a huge problem for the building as it's got an idiotic combined domestic water/heating system. No water, no heat. Epcor didn't much seem to care during the 3 day outage, refusing a request to truck in water and re-pressurize the building so the heating system could circulate.

The earlier break, in July I think, shut down a bunch of AB Gov offices (like Education and Forestry) and forced people to work from home for weeks. Can't blame that on the cold.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

My wife chuckeled with venom when she heard of Deney's flood. She wasn't very impressed with her breakfast when she tried it a month ago. She said something "F--- you Denny's," when a follow up story aired on CTV news last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    The earlier break, in July I think, shut down a bunch of AB Gov offices (like Education and Forestry) and forced people to work from home for weeks. Can't blame that on the cold.
    I was thinking the same thing when I heard about the water main break on 104th ave. Yes, watermains break everywhere, but two massive breaks within four blocks of each other in six months is a bit concerning.

The Forestry building is closed due to a fire unrelated to the watermain break that occurred right around the same time, though.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    My wife chuckled with venom when she heard of Deney's flood. She wasn't very impressed with her breakfast when she tried it a month ago. She said something "F--- you Denny's," when a follow up story aired on CTV news last night.

Really? if she had a [email protected] meal, why not let them know? I wouldnt wish a flood on anyone, it's destructive and costly

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

My wife chuckeled with venom when she heard of Deney's flood. She wasn't very impressed with her breakfast when she tried it a month ago. She said something "F--- you Denny's," when a follow up story aired on CTV news last night.
    It's F---ing Denny's. You don't go there to be "impressed". Try a nice local place like Cafe Linnea, the Sugarbowl or Canteen instead!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Agreed.

I like the previous renders to the ones fetured on this page, they apear more vibrant then the recent ones. The previous renders felt more open to me for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    BLVD is still closed due to flood damage.

C2E SME

Agreed.

I like the previous renders to the ones fetured on this page, they apear more vibrant then the recent ones. The previous renders felt more open to me for some reason.
    They're all from the same package and there is no difference in design between them.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Same renders. Some of them look different to me. For example: Second from the last in this set by DTron'

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    from the pdf

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Just the way "the light hits" them most likely. Still cool proposal.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345