Thread: Edmonton to be Western Canadian Transit Point for Syrian Refugee Operation

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Edmonton to be Western Canadian Transit Point for Syrian Refugee Operation

Found this interesting quote in The Star

(http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...dale-says.html)
    It remains to be seen where the lion’s share of the refugees will end up. Quebec expects to welcome about a quarter of them, nearly 6,000 — a figure equal to its percentage of the Canadian population, according to a report in La Presse.

“We are hearing rumours that the operation could start on Dec. 1, that upwards of 900 refugees a week will arrive, and that Montreal, Toronto and Edmonton will be the transit points. We are also hearing there will be military involvement,” said Chris Friesen, chairman of the Canadian Immigrant Settlement Sector Alliance.

“Where they will go after they arrive, we are not sure. It could be military bases but nothing has been confirmed yet.”
    Looks like Edmonton is set to play a big role in welcoming refugees directly.

We should see some significant air traffic here for this effort.

What remains to be seen is if a number will settle here. Potentially this could push Edmonton's population forward somewhat. With all the trouble in Calgary I would not be shocked if this ends up being one more factor leading to the Edmonton CMA population overtaking Calgary's in the next several years. Good news.

*I know there is a general refugee thread but that one seems to have veered into the social issues - not the focus of this article.

C2E Continued Contributor

Even if all 25K came to Edmonton how would we over take Calgary in the next few years? I sure hope we don't as that would put a lot of pressure on our infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    What remains to be seen is if a number will settle here.
    This starts next month, yes? I think most of them will take one look out the plane window at the weather outside and bolt to the next connecting flight out of YEG to the west coast.

First One is Always Free

Considering that many of them did not want to settle in Sweden or the Netherlands, I can only imagine what they will say about the weather here...

One of the reasons Edmonton is a good choice is because of a strong presence of grassroots social organizations such as Mennonite Center for newcomers and IFSSA (Islamic Family Social Services Association). Over the years, these organizations plus others have built up strong experience and foundations dealing with such situations.

As for the refugees I've met, they are really impressed with the warm support offered by Edmontonians and ultimately the decision to stay or move comes down to the same as the vast majority of us: economic opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by bdejong View Post
    Considering that many of them did not want to settle in Sweden or the Netherlands, I can only imagine what they will say about the weather here...
    Better snow falling then bombs.

C2E SME

I wish them all the best coming to Canada. Previous waves of refugees have worked hard to build a decent life here.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Please merge duplicate discussions
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=37709
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Found this interesting quote in The Star

(http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...dale-says.html)
    It remains to be seen where the lion’s share of the refugees will end up. Quebec expects to welcome about a quarter of them, nearly 6,000 — a figure equal to its percentage of the Canadian population, according to a report in La Presse.

“We are hearing rumours that the operation could start on Dec. 1, that upwards of 900 refugees a week will arrive, and that Montreal, Toronto and Edmonton will be the transit points. We are also hearing there will be military involvement,” said Chris Friesen, chairman of the Canadian Immigrant Settlement Sector Alliance.

“Where they will go after they arrive, we are not sure. It could be military bases but nothing has been confirmed yet.”
    Looks like Edmonton is set to play a big role in welcoming refugees directly.

We should see some significant air traffic here for this effort.

What remains to be seen is if a number will settle here. Potentially this could push Edmonton's population forward somewhat. With all the trouble in Calgary I would not be shocked if this ends up being one more factor leading to the Edmonton CMA population overtaking Calgary's in the next several years. Good news.

*I know there is a general refugee thread but that one seems to have veered into the social issues - not the focus of this article.
    There's a couple of other threads.

One was an attempt to deeply discuss the basics of refugee planning and acceptance here in Edmonton, and a means to pay for ongoing acceptance of refugees irrespective of the crisis of the day. Basically, "Policy and Procedure", logistics, integration, etc. that would apply today, and 20-years from now. In other words, means to deal with all those poor people that never get any headline coverage but are equally or more deserving of assistance.

Refugees for Canada, Alberta and Edmonton?
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=37709

The other thread was for the more knee-jerk fer or agin / political points / opportunity vs threat / humanity vs fear-mongering thread regarding the latest batch of desperate people that 'aren't like us'. Basically, coverage of the 'headline of the day' where a highly visible tragedy, a baby laying dead on a beach, made some people care Enough to want to do something, for them, right now.

The current Syrian refugee crisis
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=37712
    As an aside, positive attributes stemming from growing Edmonton's population seems to be taken as a given. Population growth can have some very severe negative consequences.
    Last edited by KC; 13-11-2015 at 04:43 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'd guess Edmonton will be a transfer point because of CFB Namao. They can house a large number of people there and it has already been stated there is a plan to use military bases for initial housing.

I would expect only a fraction of the refugees moved through Edmonton would stay here.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I wonder the logic of picking Edmonton? We do have many resources available, moreso then other larger cities? Perhaps we as a city would be more tolerant than Calgary?
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

^my guess would be the military base / facilities, like Paul says. Edmonton does have significant military presence / facilities, with the Patricia's and similar, and the Namao AF base.

CFB Edmonton today[edit]
    HQ 1 CMBGCFB Edmonton is currently the headquarters of 3rd Canadian Division, the highest military authority in western Canada, and a number of brigade groups, including 1 Canadian Mechanized Brigade Group (1 CMBG), the only Regular Force brigade group in the region. The base is situated at Steele Barracks (named for Sir Sam Steele) just outside of the city. The area formerly known as CFB Griesbach within the city itself is no longer operational, all buildings and land were sold and are no longer crown assets. The base as a collective is an important part of the community surrounding Edmonton and is home to some of the most prestigious and experienced units in the Canadian Military.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Edmonton
    Last edited by moahunter; 16-11-2015 at 12:37 PM.

Addicted to C2E

Quite a few might want to settle down here .......
    We have a big Lebanese Arab community (many ways similar to Syrians with a mix of Shia, Sunni, Christian and Druze) as well as low(-ish) unemployment, plenty of apartment rentals, half-decent transit and so on.
    People always talk weather but it is usually not the first thing newcomers worry about (many years back I had come from a tropical land to Calgary in January.........it sure didn't scare me)!

To all who come and choose to stay here and become Canadians: Welcome !

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    We have a big Lebanese Arab community (many ways similar to Syrians with a mix of Shia, Sunni, Christian and Druze) as well as low(-ish) unemployment, plenty of apartment rentals, half-decent transit and so on.
    People always talk weather but it is usually not the first thing newcomers worry about (many years back I had come from a tropical land to Calgary in January.........it sure didn't scare me)!

Maybe save the platitudes and salutations until Canada actually quits vacillating, and actually gets on and takes in some refugees.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, its not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

We have a big Lebanese Arab community (many ways similar to Syrians with a mix of Shia, Sunni, Christian and Druze)
    I'm only quoting Professor Wikipedia, so take it for what you will, but he says the Syrians and the Lebanese have a somewhat complicated relationship...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebano...yria_relations

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Maybe save the platitudes and salutations until Canada actually quits vacillating, and actually gets on and takes in some refugees.
    Why do you say they're vacillating? My understanding is the process is already well underway. Remember the selection process and a good chunk of screening work occurs outside the country.

Default Nenshi - welcome refugees with open arms

I'm sure many of the Refugees (2,300 it appears) heading through the military staging base in Edmonton, will end up in Calgary, per Nenshi anyway:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nshi-1.3321682

"I need to point out that the people who are desperate refugees are fleeing the exact same people who perpetrated the kind of violence that we saw in Paris and in Beirut last week," Nenshi said.

"They're running away from the bad guys and, as such, we need to be able to open our arms to make sure we can provide safety to these folks."
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-11-2015 at 09:07 AM.

It takes 6 months to do a background check to hired into the steno pool for the Mounties. NO way are background checks gonna be thourough enough for these refugees....welcome ISIS!!!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    It takes 6 months to do a background check to hired into the steno pool for the Mounties. NO way are background checks gonna be thourough enough for these refugees....welcome ISIS!!!
    You can post that type of comment on the other thread please.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Why do you say they're vacillating? My understanding is the process is already well underway. Remember the selection process and a good chunk of screening work occurs outside the country.
    ...And here in Canada? Under our previous federal government, we planned to accept just 10,000 Syrian refugees this year. The new government intends to take in 25,000 by the end of the year an improvement, to be sure, but is it enough?
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle27302789/
    Plus, the way the wind's blowing these numbers and time constraints look ripe for possible revision yet again.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, its not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^The current government has not revised their intent at all. They said 25,000 by the end of the year during the campaign, they said 25,000 by the end of the year when they formed government, and they appear to making every effort to meet that commitment. If they don't manage it, it won't be for lack of trying. Further the Canadian public appears to be in support of that objective.

I'm failing to see the vacillation:

alternate or waver between different opinions or actions; be indecisive.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    ^The current government has not revised their intent at all. They said 25,000 by the end of the year during the campaign, they said 25,000 by the end of the year when they formed government, and they appear to making every effort to meet that commitment. If they don't manage it, it won't be for lack of trying. Further the Canadian public appears to be in support of that objective.

I'm failing to see the vacillation:

alternate or waver between different opinions or actions; be indecisive.
    The Journal appears to be reporting otherwise...

Majority of Canadians oppose Trudeau’s plan to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees over in just six weeks: poll...

...Support for Trudeau’s plan is lowest in Alberta (33 per cent) and highest in Atlantic Canada (50 per cent).
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...443/story.html

^Fair enough, I was looking at a poll that only addressed accepting Syrian refugees in general rather than the government's current plan for the end of the year.