Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 901 to 934 of 934

Thread: Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

  1. #901

    Default

    Jimmy Kimmel’s Homophobic Attacks on Sean Hannity Expose a Liberal Blind Spot

    Comedians Jimmy Kimmel and Chelsea Handler resorted to homophobic jokes while targeting Trump-connected conservatives this week. It’s lazy and offensive.

    Story: https://www.thedailybeast.com/jimmy-...yahoo?ref=home

    The greatest skill the left has is telling everyone how morally-superior they are, while they hurl childish insults and call everyone names.

  2. #902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Jimmy Kimmel’s Homophobic Attacks on Sean Hannity Expose a Liberal Blind Spot

    Comedians Jimmy Kimmel and Chelsea Handler resorted to homophobic jokes while targeting Trump-connected conservatives this week. It’s lazy and offensive.

    Story: https://www.thedailybeast.com/jimmy-...yahoo?ref=home

    The greatest skill the left has is telling everyone how morally-superior they are, while they hurl childish insults and call everyone names.
    Or, they are not really that “left” or “liberal”.


    The moral majority was a conservative creation. It’s disbanded.
    Today:
    The GOP’s Moral Bankruptcy | The American Conservative

    http://www.theamericanconservative.c...al-bankruptcy/
    Last edited by KC; 08-04-2018 at 11:52 AM.

  3. #903
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Kimmel is a frustrated middle aged fool.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

  4. #904

    Default

    ‘The Simpsons’ Responds to Criticism About Apu With a Dismissal


    At the end of 2017, Hank Azaria, the voice behind Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, a convenience-store owner on “The Simpsons” with a thick Indian accent, responded to a recent groundswell of criticism that the character was racist. It came to the forefront thanks to Hari Kondabolu, a comedian of South Asian descent, who made a documentary, “The Problem With Apu,” which debuted last fall.


    “I think the documentary made some really interesting points and gave us a lot of things to think about and we really are thinking about it,” Mr. Azaria told TMZ. He said he found the situation “upsetting.”

    On Sunday night, “The Simpsons,” a cultural staple and television’s longest-running sitcom, now in its 29th season, finally responded: with a dismissive nod that earned the show more criticism, especially from Mr. Kondabolu himself. The episode, titled “No Good Read Goes Unpunished,” featured a scene with Marge Simpson sitting in bed with her daughter Lisa, reading a book called “The Princess in the Garden,” and attempting to make it inoffensive for 2018.


    At one point, Lisa turns to directly address the TV audience and says, “Something that started decades ago and was applauded and inoffensive is now politically incorrect. What can you do?” The shot then pans to a framed picture of Apu at the bedside with the line, “Don’t have a cow!” inscribed on it.


    Marge responds: “Some things will be dealt with at a later date.”


    Followed by Lisa saying, “If at all.”


    The writers of the episode — one of whom was Matt Groening, the show’s creator — received immediate backlash. Some viewers found the response tone deaf, and criticized the choice of Lisa, often the show’s moral center, to voice it. (And not to mention: “Don’t have a cow!” could be interpreted as a jab at Apu’s Hinduism.)
    https://archive.fo/w3E3n

  5. #905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Assimilation was a direct attack on first nations peoples and against all first nations peoples. It isn't made up, it was the invoked cultural genocide policy of Canada.

    That is true.

    It is also not a reason to ban, censor, or get upset at the word.
    That would be easy for you to say.

    This is the apparent difficulty with understanding in modern times and wherein such complex societal objectives as Truth and Reconciliation are required to illuminate, educate, inform on the atrocities that have occurred in this nation and providing a path for reform, acknowledging, understanding.

    Assimilation is STILL occurring. Child Scoop STILL occurring. But disproportionate scoops of First Nations and Metis children from homes are now called apprehensions. With the vast majority of those going to non culturally similar placements. Even when kinship care is available.

    I'm playing advocate, and I have no difficulty doing that, and clearly, even though I am not directly impacted by it, I try to put myself in others shoes and think about how they would be impacted. In this sense the term offends me and I can easily see how it would offend first nations that were directly targeted.
    I just found this thread and been reading through it a bit, and I realize your post is over a year old, but I just can't tell if you're being serious or not. Please tell me you're not serious.
    Last edited by Vincent; 02-05-2018 at 06:32 PM.

  6. #906

    Default

    Munk Debates

    https://www.munkdebates.com/The-Deba...al-Correctness



    Conrad Black: The forces of America’s left were no match for Canadian intellect and English wit | National Post
    http://nationalpost.com/opinion/conr...nd-english-wit

  7. #907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Assimilation was a direct attack on first nations peoples and against all first nations peoples. It isn't made up, it was the invoked cultural genocide policy of Canada.

    That is true.

    It is also not a reason to ban, censor, or get upset at the word.
    That would be easy for you to say.

    This is the apparent difficulty with understanding in modern times and wherein such complex societal objectives as Truth and Reconciliation are required to illuminate, educate, inform on the atrocities that have occurred in this nation and providing a path for reform, acknowledging, understanding.

    Assimilation is STILL occurring. Child Scoop STILL occurring. But disproportionate scoops of First Nations and Metis children from homes are now called apprehensions. With the vast majority of those going to non culturally similar placements. Even when kinship care is available.

    I'm playing advocate, and I have no difficulty doing that, and clearly, even though I am not directly impacted by it, I try to put myself in others shoes and think about how they would be impacted. In this sense the term offends me and I can easily see how it would offend first nations that were directly targeted.
    I just found this thread and been reading through it a bit, and I realize your post is over a year old, but I just can't tell if you're being serious or not. Please tell me you're not serious.
    Completely serious. Why should the word Assimilate or " Asimil8, Resistance is Futile" be allowed on a licence plate as a personalized plate? The word has a very clear context and meaning with First Nations peoples and is clearly offensive to them and for ample reason. Perhaps reason not very well understood unless you happen to be First Nations.

    If I requested "I Heart Holocaust" as a personalized plate and claimed I was referring to some obscure TV show episode I would expect to be scorned and have my plate denied. As should be the case.


    It seems as if people can't comprehend the issues at hand unless comparisons are given.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-05-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  8. #908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Assimilation was a direct attack on first nations peoples and against all first nations peoples. It isn't made up, it was the invoked cultural genocide policy of Canada.

    That is true.

    It is also not a reason to ban, censor, or get upset at the word.
    That would be easy for you to say.

    This is the apparent difficulty with understanding in modern times and wherein such complex societal objectives as Truth and Reconciliation are required to illuminate, educate, inform on the atrocities that have occurred in this nation and providing a path for reform, acknowledging, understanding.

    Assimilation is STILL occurring. Child Scoop STILL occurring. But disproportionate scoops of First Nations and Metis children from homes are now called apprehensions. With the vast majority of those going to non culturally similar placements. Even when kinship care is available.

    I'm playing advocate, and I have no difficulty doing that, and clearly, even though I am not directly impacted by it, I try to put myself in others shoes and think about how they would be impacted. In this sense the term offends me and I can easily see how it would offend first nations that were directly targeted.
    I just found this thread and been reading through it a bit, and I realize your post is over a year old, but I just can't tell if you're being serious or not. Please tell me you're not serious.
    Completely serious. Why should the word Assimilate or " Asimil8, Resistance is Futile" be allowed on a licence plate as a personalized plate? The word has a very clear context and meaning with First Nations peoples and is clearly offensive to them and for ample reason. Perhaps reason not very well understood unless you happen to be First Nations.

    If I requested "I Heart Holocaust" as a personalized plate and claimed I was referring to some obscure TV show episode I would expect to be scorned and have my plate denied. As should be the case.


    It seems as if people can't comprehend the issues at hand unless comparisons are given.

    Are you saying that if you are part of some very small obscure religious minority then freedom of religion and expression don’t apply if they offend a larger group?


    Christie Blatchford: Resistance is not futile when it comes to freedoms of expression | National Post

    http://nationalpost.com/opinion/chri...-of-expression



    Plus in this case the phrase was created as a dramatic threat that the freedom fighters fought against.

    A “Remember the Alamo” sort of thing.
    Last edited by KC; 25-05-2018 at 01:29 PM.

  9. #909

    Default

    I'm not sure what Isn't clear about what I stated. I disagree with Blatchford on this one.

    I'll be real clear here. The word Assimilate equates to Cultural Genocide in First Nations context. At this time of Truth and Reconciliation things like this are now generally being more widely understood.

    I'll expand that a lot of what have been refused plates seems a bit silly. For instance Grabher which is an actual surname. But this one there is no reason whatsoever to have the plate and its been deemed offensive, Manitoba agrees, and I agree with that assessment.

    Also, and this needs to be clear, the actual Manitoba plate is Asmil8 That's the plate. The Borg Resistance is Futile is a plate border. That does not change the decision on the plate because it is not the personalized version requested. Nor should it be up to Manitoba to cater to this man and allow him that offensive plate and to excuse it through some weird subcontext addendum.

    Finally, the owner of the plate mentions that a few people found the plate humorous. I don't really get that but I never watch Star Trek and particularly not the countless spin off series. I wouldn't know what a Borg is. I thought it was a Tennis player.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-05-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  10. #910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Completely serious. Why should the word Assimilate or " Asimil8, Resistance is Futile" be allowed on a licence plate as a personalized plate? The word has a very clear context and meaning with First Nations peoples and is clearly offensive to them and for ample reason. Perhaps reason not very well understood unless you happen to be First Nations.

    If I requested "I Heart Holocaust" as a personalized plate and claimed I was referring to some obscure TV show episode I would expect to be scorned and have my plate denied. As should be the case.
    First of all, that's a terrible comparison. One is clearly a Star Trek reference, the other a genocide reference.

    Secondly I firmly believe that people should be allowed to say whatever they want, as long as their words are not designed to encourage violence. Even "I heart Holocaust" should be allowed because last I heard it was not against the law to be offensive. It's also not against the law to be rude or ignorant, nor should it ever be. At a certain point people need to learn to handle their own issues and the government should not get involved with such trivial matters. (Don't even get me started on existing laws against holocaust denial).

    I don't like the names F.C.U.K. or Sweet Jesus Ice Cream, and I may make my opinion known on those but I would never ask for government action against them or their names because that's a very slippery slope and that's not the kind of country I want to live in.

    If you get your feelings hurt. Suck it up. If somebody mentions something that brings back bad memories for you. Suck it up. If somebody's licence plate uses a word that is or was also used to describe a terrible thing, so what? I really don't get this obsession nowadays with people getting their feelings hurt.

    This is what happens when we're not allowed to give children failing grades in school or even keep score at soccer games because they don't learn how to deal with hurt feelings.
    Last edited by Vincent; 25-05-2018 at 05:57 PM.

  11. #911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I'm not sure what Isn't clear about what I stated. I disagree with Blatchford on this one.

    I'll be real clear here. The word Assimilate equates to Cultural Genocide in First Nations context. At this time of Truth and Reconciliation things like this are now generally being more widely understood.

    I'll expand that a lot of what have been refused plates seems a bit silly. For instance Grabher which is an actual surname. But this one there is no reason whatsoever to have the plate and its been deemed offensive, Manitoba agrees, and I agree with that assessment.

    Also, and this needs to be clear, the actual Manitoba plate is Asmil8 That's the plate. The Borg Resistance is Futile is a plate border. That does not change the decision on the plate because it is not the personalized version requested. Nor should it be up to Manitoba to cater to this man and allow him that offensive plate and to excuse it through some weird subcontext addendum.

    Finally, the owner of the plate mentions that a few people found the plate humorous. I don't really get that but I never watch Star Trek and particularly not the countless spin off series. I wouldn't know what a Borg is. I thought it was a Tennis player.
    The word “______” has long been used in the sense of abandoning one’s cultural background and adopting the dominate or “official” language honouring the laws of the ‘Canadian’ or ‘American’ (British?) way(s).

    I don’t recall “________” or “________” being used in anything I’ve read.

    That said, if a math lover, say a calculus teacher put ______ on their plate would that too would be disallowed as insensitive. My guess guess that it would just like the guy with the offensive last name was disallowed a personalized plate with his name on it.

    “Adopt” would also be offensive.




    I’m back.

    Here, in 1914 _______ was being used so I guess it was a term used to describe the destruction of the previous indigenous cultures.

    The ________ of the American Indian on JSTOR
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/2763215


    Here in the 1990s in retrospect:

    YAKIMA v. CONFEDERATED TRIBES | FindLaw

    “In the late 19th Century, the prevailing national policy of segregating lands for the exclusive use and control of the [502 U.S. 251, 254] Indian tribes gave way to a policy of allotting those lands to tribe members individually. The objectives of allotment were simple and clear-cut: to extinguish tribal sovereignty, erase reservation boundaries, and force the ________ of Indians into the society at large. See, e.g., In re Heff, 197 U.S. 488, 499 (1905). Congress was selective at first, allotting lands under differing approaches on a tribe-by-tribe basis. See F. Cohen, Handbook of Federal Indian Law 129-130 (1982); Gates, Indian Allotments Preceding the Dawes Act, in The Frontier Challenge 141 (J. Clark ed. 1971). These early efforts were marked by failure, however. Because allotted land could be sold soon after it was received, see, e.g., Treaty with the Wyandots, Apr. 1, 1850, 9 Stat. 987, 992, many of the early allottees quickly lost their land through transactions that were unwise or even procured by fraud. See Cohen, supra, at 130. Even if sales were for fair value, Indian allottees divested of their land were deprived of an opportunity to acquire agricultural and other self-sustaining economic skills, thus compromising Congress' purpose of ________.”

    https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supre...t/502/251.html
    Last edited by KC; 25-05-2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Removed the word that should not be used

  12. #912
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,455

    Default

    "Christie Blatchford: Resistance is not futile when it comes to freedoms of expression | National Post

    http://nationalpost.com/opinion/chri...-of-expression"

    Yet another misapplication of "freedom of expression". There has never been an inalienable right to have anything you want printed up on a government-issued vanity plate. Here is a list of rejected plates from the same province that disallowed the borg reference...

    https://tinyurl.com/y7chl4gm

    Most of those would probably be legal to wear on a t-shirt, as well they should be. But everything changes when it's a appearing on a state-issued ID, considered a privilege to own.

    You can argue about whether or not the government's interpretation of the assimil8 slogan was correct, but the one thing this was not was a violation of anyone's right to free expression.

  13. #913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    [First of all, that's a terrible comparison. One is clearly a Star Trek reference, the other a genocide reference.

    Secondly I firmly believe that people should be allowed to say whatever they want, as long as their words are not designed to encourage violence. Even "I heart Holocaust" should be allowed because last I heard it was not against the law to be offensive. It's also not against the law to be rude or ignorant, nor should it ever be. At a certain point people need to learn to handle their own issues and the government should not get involved with such trivial matters. (Don't even get me started on existing laws against holocaust denial).

    I don't like the names F.C.U.K. or Sweet Jesus Ice Cream, and I may make my opinion known on those but I would never ask for government action against them or their names because that's a very slippery slope and that's not the kind of country I want to live in.

    If you get your feelings hurt. Suck it up. If somebody mentions something that brings back bad memories for you. Suck it up. If somebody's licence plate uses a word that is or was also used to describe a terrible thing, so what? I really don't get this obsession nowadays with people getting their feelings hurt.

    This is what happens when we're not allowed to give children failing grades in school or even keep score at soccer games because they don't learn how to deal with hurt feelings.
    First Assimilate is an actual term with actual defined meaning. Of course in licencing the actual meaning of a word and its connotation is going to take priority over some fantasy depiction of it. In short it doesn't matter one iota that the applicant felt the reference was obvious. The word is still culturally offensive with very clear meaning.


    The comparison is apt. Both involved genocide. Cultural and actual. Its unfortunate you don't comprehend that or that you feel the genocidal sufferings of Indigenous peoples is somehow a lesser thing.

    Your second point about freedom of speech is weak for reasons overoceans just covered (thank you)

    Then you go into the tired preamble about comparing it to other offensive names, ( a poor comparison in anycase) which are also not allowed on licence plates. So I'm not sure what your point is or if you even have one.

    It does seem that more Truth and Reconciliation is required as long as people are so clueless as to what the term assimilate would mean to any indigenous population that has faced cultural imperialism and genocide.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-05-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  14. #914

    Default

    The word "assimilate" is not always a reference to genocide. In fact it very rarely is, but you would have us believe that it always refers to genocide. That's why this debate is stupid.

  15. #915

    Default

    "The great aim of our legislation has been to do away with the tribal system and assimilate the Indian people in all respects with the other inhabitants of the Dominion as speedily as they are fit to change.” - Sir John A, MacDonald, 1887

    "“It is readily acknowledged that Indian children lose their natural resistance to illness by habitating so closely in these schools, and that they die at a much higher rate than in their villages. But this alone does not justify a change in the policy of this Department, which is being geared towards the final solution of our Indian Problem." - Sir John A. MacDonald, 1910

    "The objective – I quote from Sir John A. Macdonald, our revered forefather – was to 'take the Indian out of the child,' and thus solve what was referred to as the Indian problem. 'Indianness' was not to be tolerated; rather it must be eliminated. In the buzz-word of the day, assimilation; in the language of the 21st century, cultural genocide." - Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin, 2018

  16. #916

    Default

    In reading the various quotes I now agree that it has a long and negative history of usage. However I don’t know what the ‘right’ answer is when a word has multiple histories and we have a constitution that guarantees freedom of expression. Plus if a usage has no motive or intent to be interpreted differently and/or negatively by another person or group with another interpretation, I don’t know who’s rights should erase another’s rights.

    One more thing, unlike the usage on a plate with a frame providing context indicating that it was a Star Trek reference, here on this forum are we not only using the word in reference to the cultural genocide context but also using the word in the very context via quotations, etc (as I had but have now erased) that reflects the offensiveness at the heart of this issue.

    Should all these posts be deleted from the c2e forum?
    Last edited by KC; 26-05-2018 at 06:31 AM.

  17. #917

    Default

    Douglas Todd: Whether it’s sex or yoga, Canada’s campuses increasingly divided | Vancouver Sun
    Excerpts:

    “...
    MacKinnon, a former faculty association chair, dean of law and president of the universities of Saskatchewan and Athabasca, believes institutes of higher education are no longer debating over mere “differences.” They’re fracturing, with ominous implications for their traditional role as forums for discussion and collaboration.

    The mission of the university – which MacKinnon says is “seeking truth through advancing knowledge, learning and discovery” – is endangered. Too many righteous academics and students are not willing to tolerate debate over important ideas, “even while contestation is inevitable, indeed, definitional, and with it comes unease, discomfort and dissent.”


    “...in the way the director of social work at Ryerson, Henry Parada, resigned after he simply left an anti-racism rally. The Black Liberation Collective publicly accused Parada of “a violent act of ...”


    http://vancouversun.com/opinion/colu...singly-divided
    Last edited by KC; 26-05-2018 at 08:30 AM.

  18. #918
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    "“It is readily acknowledged that Indian children lose their natural resistance to illness by habitating so closely in these schools, and that they die at a much higher rate than in their villages. But this alone does not justify a change in the policy of this Department, which is being geared towards the final solution of our Indian Problem." - Sir John A. MacDonald, 1910
    Not saying he didn't say this at some point, but John A. Macdonald died in 1891, nineteen years before the 1910 quote you are attributing to him.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Macdonald

  19. #919
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    "“It is readily acknowledged that Indian children lose their natural resistance to illness by habitating so closely in these schools, and that they die at a much higher rate than in their villages. But this alone does not justify a change in the policy of this Department, which is being geared towards the final solution of our Indian Problem." - Sir John A. MacDonald, 1910
    Not saying he didn't say this at some point, but John A. Macdonald died in 1891, nineteen years before the 1910 quote you are attributing to him.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Macdonald
    This website attributes the quote to someone named Scott

  20. #920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    "“It is readily acknowledged that Indian children lose their natural resistance to illness by habitating so closely in these schools, and that they die at a much higher rate than in their villages. But this alone does not justify a change in the policy of this Department, which is being geared towards the final solution of our Indian Problem." - Sir John A. MacDonald, 1910
    Not saying he didn't say this at some point, but John A. Macdonald died in 1891, nineteen years before the 1910 quote you are attributing to him.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Macdonald
    This website attributes the quote to someone named Scott
    More...


    'I thought I understood' residential schools, but I did not know | HSAA

    “Until you listen to the stories, you will not understand.

    I will leave you with these words of Duncan Campbell Scott, as deputy superintendent general of Indian Affairs from 1913 until 1932. Scott took on the groundwork of Prime Minister John A. Macdonald’s legacy of repressive policies towards indigenous peoples further down the continuum of _______.

    “It is readily acknowledged that Indian children lose their natural resistance to illness by habitating so closely in these schools, and that they die at a much higher rate than in their villages. But this alone does not justify a change in the policy of this Department, which is being geared towards the final solution of our Indian problem.” 1910.

    We knew what was happening and yet we did nothing.

    ...”


    https://www.hsaa.ca/2017/07/07/i-tho...-did-not-know/

  21. #921

    Default

    More on the “a” word:



    Another system of election – the one year elective system of the Indian Advancement Act – was initially proposed as a municipal style government.97 Sir John A. Macdonald, who was Superintendent General of Indian Affairs at the time, described the intention of the legislation in 1880:

    It is worthy of consideration whether legislative measures should not be adopted for the establishment of some kind of municipal system among such bands as are found sufficiently advanced to justify the experiment being tried. It is hoped that a system may be adopted which will have the effect of accustoming the Indians to the modes of government prevalent in the white communities surrounding them, and that it will thus tend to prepare them for earlier amalgamation with the general population of the country.98
    The persistent features are readily apparent in Macdonald's statement: the readiness of the government to impose systems on the First Nations and the intention to establish band councils as municipal style governments with ______ as the final objective. Also apparent is the underlying premise that this white style of government was decidedly superior to any form of existing Indian government. Furthermore, the First Nations would have to be "sufficiently advanced" to take on the system and would become even more "advanced" by practicing it.

    http://www.joanholmes.ca/Indian%20Ac...er%20Final.pdf
    Last edited by KC; 26-05-2018 at 05:40 PM.

  22. #922

    Default

    You can't even say the word anymore? Seriously?

  23. #923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    You can't even say the word anymore? Seriously?
    If it can’t go on license plates in reference to Star Trek because of its extremely negative association with attempted cultural genocide then, as I tried to say, how can we assume it’s ok to say it in discussion of the actual attempts at cultural genocide.


    Think Nazi swastika, bundles of sticks, the “N” word, swearwords...



    Swearwords are interesting.
    On this site they appear as: ******
    Last edited by KC; 26-05-2018 at 05:50 PM.

  24. #924

  25. #925

    Default

    Gotta keep up with the times, right.

  26. #926

    Default

    Why reactions to Stephen Hawking's death are ableist
    Excerpt:

    “Since the death of Stephen Hawking was announced, tributes and tweets have poured in and similar themes keep coming up again and again,” Louise said. “I’m seeing illustrations of him walking away from his wheelchair, countless tweets about how he overcame his disability during his lifetime, and just as many saying that he achieved what he did ‘despite’ his disability. All of these are ableist responses.

    “Equally, I see people saying he was inspiring because he was disabled, an example of inspiration porn,” she continued. “Disabled people don’t exist to inspire abled people. Be inspired by his incredible mind and work, be inspired by his humor and his activism, but don’t say he’s inspiring simply because he’s disabled. Hawking achieved everything he did with his disability, not despite it. He never overcame his disability like some have suggested; he simply lived with it and worked with it, finding different ways to do things.

    “I’ve also seen many people say that they don’t see his disability...”

    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/reac...155031194.html


    EasyJet asked Paralympian to prove disability

    Excerpt:
    “In a series of tweets, Warner said EasyJet staff asked her to “prove [her] disability” because they thought she looked “completely normal.”

    https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/para...113239153.html
    Last edited by KC; 30-05-2018 at 06:48 PM.

  27. #927
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,737
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    As someone with a rather obvious disability...I say WTF?

    Ableist is such a ridiculous term. I am happy when people are impressed that I have overcome some significant challenges over the years. Not as significant as others, but I am also not in the disability pee pee contest.

    As for proving the disability, that is a back handed issue to me. I've been chastised when parking in a disabled stall with my red convertible, with a young female police officer telling me that "I better be disabled, because you don't look like it!"...

    ...to which I replied rather curtly, "Do tell me what disabled looks like?" Then I got out of the car...and the backtracking began. I must admit I took a small amount of joy in the stammering.

    But in all seriousness, it is a bit of a backhanded compliment that I have not allowed this disability to outwardly affect things too much. It stole my career, it continues to prevent me from gainful employment opportunities, and it still hurts like hell. But I have a choice...die or live.

    ...but when airport security guards say I look completely normal, I say thank you. Or, if I get yet another person telling me how nice it is to get "rock star parking", I always reply, "I will trade you legs and park at the furthest stall, and you can have this stall." Conversation ends...

    It is all in how you take it. I guess my **** you attitude wins..
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  28. #928

    Default

    John Cleese on Political Incorrectness (HBO)
    Real Time with Bill Maher


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCj6YNIpqmA
    Last edited by KC; 14-06-2018 at 08:47 PM.

  29. #929
    C2E Junkie *
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    13,737
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ^your link goes to Terry Gilliam...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

  30. #930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ^your link goes to Terry Gilliam...
    John Cleese would not be pleased, he despises Terry Gilliam now. I just read his book.

    Heavily don't recommend his autobiography despite liking Cleese' work. He absolutely trashes Gilliam and others in the book. Not sure why.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  31. #931

    Default

    Corrected the link: John Cleese on Political Incorrectness

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

    John Cleese on Political Incorrectness (HBO)
    Real Time with Bill Maher



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCj6YNIpqmA




    Last edited by KC; 14-06-2018 at 08:54 PM.

  32. #932
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ^your link goes to Terry Gilliam...
    John Cleese would not be pleased, he despises Terry Gilliam now. I just read his book.

    Heavily don't recommend his autobiography despite liking Cleese' work. He absolutely trashes Gilliam and others in the book. Not sure why.
    Just out of curiousity, what's the basic gist of his trashing of Gilliam?

    One thing that's occured to me before is that, of the surviving Pythons, Gilliam must be the wealthiest, by a considerable degree, even though in Python days he was probably the least known to the public.

    Not that I think that's the reason Cleese would be down on him, just sort of an observation.
    Last edited by overoceans; 15-06-2018 at 09:01 AM.

  33. #933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ^your link goes to Terry Gilliam...
    John Cleese would not be pleased, he despises Terry Gilliam now. I just read his book.

    Heavily don't recommend his autobiography despite liking Cleese' work. He absolutely trashes Gilliam and others in the book. Not sure why.
    Just out of curiousity, what's the basic gist of his trashing of Gilliam?

    One thing that's occured to me before is that, of the surviving Pythons, Gilliam must be the wealthiest, by a considerable degree, even though in Python days he was probably the least known to the public.

    Not that I think that's the reason Cleese would be down on him, just sort of an observation.
    Cleese (Cheese) has always seemed to have a bit of a cold or harsh personality. (Maybe just a wider breadth of personality than typical.) Anyway that’s just his personality - or his public persona.

  34. #934
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    2,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    ^your link goes to Terry Gilliam...
    John Cleese would not be pleased, he despises Terry Gilliam now. I just read his book.

    Heavily don't recommend his autobiography despite liking Cleese' work. He absolutely trashes Gilliam and others in the book. Not sure why.
    Just out of curiousity, what's the basic gist of his trashing of Gilliam?

    One thing that's occured to me before is that, of the surviving Pythons, Gilliam must be the wealthiest, by a considerable degree, even though in Python days he was probably the least known to the public.

    Not that I think that's the reason Cleese would be down on him, just sort of an observation.
    Cleese (Cheese) has always seemed to have a bit of a cold or harsh personality. (Maybe just a wider breadth of personality than typical.) Anyway that’s just his personality - or his public persona.
    What I've noticed about Cleese is that when he's interviewed, he often seems to insist on being in character. And not just on late-night talk shows where the stand-ups usually keep telling jokes when they sit down in the guest's chair, but in more serious interview formats as well. I've always found it a little grating.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •