Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

Default Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

U of O students' decision to cancel yoga class sparks Internet backlash.

A mind-bending act of political correctness by student leaders at the University of Ottawa has sparked an international backlash on social media.
    Student leaders at the university halted free yoga classes earlier this fall because of concerns that its practice was not sufficiently sensitive to yogaís cultural roots.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...232/story.html

Geez, it seems more and more people are getting offended over sweet F A. When is this going to stop. Have we totally lost all sense of reason/humour/understanding. It seems no matter what anyone does or says there is someone out there that is going to question it because they got offended over such a minor detail. Yoga not sufficiently sensitive to yoga's cultural roots. Good Gawd, you cannot make this stuff up.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I guess we have to call the class by another name and say we are using some things that are similar to yoga in it to be politically correct.

Lol, I blame Lulu Lemon Yoga pants for the whole Yoga fad of the last few years. Waiting for Pilates or something else to come back now, hard to compete with those pants though... It's lucky the Beatles are long gone, they'd have to start burning their albums too at universities, given how they went through that mediation phase thing as well...

Partially Addicted to C2E

This saddens me. It has become a social compulsion to rail against microaggressions and crusade against perceived slights. Like somehow it is a badge of personal honour to be intolerant of minor injustices.

Social media really has contributed to a culture of soapboxing.
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

It seems some people bleat about the most trivial of things. Maybe it is social median that is fueling this nonsense. Twitter something remotely questionable and it's flashes around the world in no time. Maybe it's people that have had over protective parents and have not developed a back bone. Maybe they want their 15 minutes of fame. It's tiring to hear these people with rods so far up their rears there eyes pop. Then there are the people who get offended for other people. As if they do not have enough to do in their day they take up the cause of someone else's perceived slights.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The internet in general has fueled this big time. Looking for something that offends many has become status quo. And in the meantime, we become a little more dumb.

I would extend this to the American conservatives who believe that Starbucks is waging a war on Christmas...

Every year young adults try to find something to protest and all they find are petty issues because all the major battles have been fought. Every year the issues become more and more petty.

Geez kids, go out and have fun! Stop whining about the little things.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Wrong. Society is not nearly politically correct enough. As long as the whining of the uneducated and the ignorant is allowed to continue, much work remains to be done.

What barbarians -- or petulant children -- howl is political correctness is in truth no more and no less than manners and basic human decency.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 22-11-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Well, this is it. Sometimes a simple thing as manners and decency get's twisted in to a SJW issue.
    One big story this year was the niqab swearing in issue. To me it was a matter of manners. Don't care if the broad wears her niqab in the shower but take it off at a Canadian ceremony. Canada, you know, your host country. But oh no, have to cause a scene, make it all about me and my fashion choice.
    I think half the time these SJW who twitter just want to boost their following no matter how minuete the issue is. Probably some are offended right now if they are reading.
    Last edited by Gemini; 22-11-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Well, this is it. Sometimes a simple thing as manners and decency get's twisted in to a SJW issue.
    One big story this year was the niqab swearing in issue. To me it was a matter of manners. Don't care if the broad wears her niqab in the shower but take it off at a Canadian ceremony. Canada, you know, your host country. But oh no, have to cause a scene, make it all about me and my fashion choice.
    I think half the time these SJW who twitter just want to boost their following no matter how minuete the issue is. Probably some are offended right now if they are reading.
    As a Canadian, I'm offended that you're offended, because Canadians don't get offended. Or, are you not offended that they are offended but want them to stop being offended before you get offended?

^How dare you.........................

Quote Originally Posted by reservoircat View Post
    This saddens me. It has become a social compulsion to rail against microaggressions and crusade against perceived slights. Like somehow it is a badge of personal honour to be intolerant of minor injustices.

Social media really has contributed to a culture of soapboxing.
    In short everybody got far more opinionated through the medium. It impacts us all as its a mode of expressing any and all opinions on literally anything.

We've become a society obsessed with banality.

Now everything is speakers corner on the intersection of trivial avenue and obscure street.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I would extend this to the American conservatives who believe that Starbucks is waging a war on Christmas...
    Boot Saint Nick

From what little I know of Yoga and yoga, no, they're no more similar than, say, Christianity and aerobics. Or Conservativism and that garbage Calgary harper **** and lies.

Fair to say the name has wrongly been co opted.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

to be fair social media like twitter acts as an echo chamber for these type of things.

you think that there is a large amount of people outraged when its really just a couple idiots.
    be offended! figure out why later...

It seems that everyone is so worried about being culturally sensitive, politically correct and accepting in this society but when someone speaks up about the real meaning of yoga Christmas, they are hammered down for being insensitive to other cultures and religions.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

1) If you invent issues that don't impact anyone, no one cares about, and you are using to get attention, you are an overly PC asshat.

2) If you willingly do things that do impact people, that people care about, and that are hurtful to people, you are an *******.

It is a pretty simple concept. Some of us struggle with it. Don't do mean things that are hurtful. Don't attempt to satisfy your ego by inventing problems that don't exist. We all should have learned this by age 4.

Its interesting that student leaders made this decision which affected 60 students and a teacher. I'm guessing that there were fewer student leaders than students. So this seems quite authoritarian and anti-democratic. Would that be considered cultural appropriation from North Korea?

Yoga students denied better lives in yoga 'debate'

Yoga was brought to the West with great excitement and enthusiasm in 1893 by Swami Vivekananda who, at the Parliament of Religions, said, "Sisters and Brothers of America, I am proud to belong to a religion which has taught the world both tolerance and universal acceptance. We believe not only in universal toleration, but we accept all religions as true."

To claim, with no merit or proof, that someone, or this practice, is "cultural appropriation" is beyond uninformed and oblivious to the history, philosophy, and system of acceptance of one's Self and others that it is. My hope is that the decision is reconsidered and these students are given back their choice and the teacher her ability to share this ancient art of living.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/11/22/...in-yoga-debate
    Last edited by KC; 23-11-2015 at 07:53 AM.

^ in other words you're doing exactly what you're saying is wrong?

I'm sorry I opened this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ in other words you're doing exactly what you're saying is wrong?

I'm sorry I opened this thread...
    You are

Your white hood is showing Gemini. Cut the eyeholes a bit bigger and you will see the full picture.

This 'broad' (real classy) was not the first women in Canada to wear a Niqab during a citizenship ceremony. She also followed all the required laws of the citizenship ceremony as it currently stands. She revealed her face in private to confirm her identity as the Canadian law requires and was then able to complete the citizenship ceremony with her Niqab on.

'but take it off at a Canadian ceremony. Canada, you know, your host country'

In Canada we have this wonderful thing called the Charter of Rights & Freedoms. The Charter guarantees freedom of religion and belief to all Canadians. So by wearing her Niqab this women was acting very Canadian and exercising her rights that all of us Canadians get!

So Gemini, stomp your feet, get mad, type SJW as many times in a row as you can. The reality is society is shifting away from tolerating or accepting ignorant people. And if I was one of those ignorant people whos repeatedly being called out on my poor behavior id be a little upset too. Id probably make an acronym even worse then SJW
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Wrong. Society is not nearly politically correct enough. As long as the whining of the uneducated and the ignorant is allowed to continue, much work remains to be done.

What barbarians -- or petulant children -- howl is political correctness is in truth no more and no less than manners and basic human decency.
    Yes and no.
    Unfortunately in some instances, nervousness and uncertainty around the somewhat flexible definitions of what constitutes political correctness are being subverted to stifle legitimate debate.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itís not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Your white hood is showing Gemini. Cut the eyeholes a bit bigger and you will see the full picture.

This 'broad' (real classy) was not the first women in Canada to wear a Niqab during a citizenship ceremony. She also followed all the required laws of the citizenship ceremony as it currently stands. She revealed her face in private to confirm her identity as the Canadian law requires and was then able to complete the citizenship ceremony with her Niqab on.

'but take it off at a Canadian ceremony. Canada, you know, your host country'

In Canada we have this wonderful thing called the Charter of Rights & Freedoms. The Charter guarantees freedom of religion and belief to all Canadians. So by wearing her Niqab this women was acting very Canadian and exercising her rights that all of us Canadians get!

So Gemini, stomp your feet, get mad, type SJW as many times in a row as you can. The reality is society is shifting away from tolerating or accepting ignorant people. And if I was one of those ignorant people whos repeatedly being called out on my poor behavior id be a little upset too. Id probably make an acronym even worse then SJW
    Nice one Komrade. Your remark about "if I was one of those ignorant people" is touching. Trust me, I have read some of your posts on different threads and sometimes you to come across as ignorant. Never mind though, if you don't think manners matter your ignorance will be bliss.

Why is this so difficult for people? It is 2015, and our society has seemingly devolved into two groups of ridiculous twats:

1) Asinine, smarmy, self-righteous college kids making everything a "social justice" issue to stroke their overly developed egos.

2) Xenophobic douchebags crying oppression whenever their blatant bigotry is pointed out.

Meanwhile, the real issues are lost in the background.

This is easy to figure out, guys: if you do things that belittle and hurt other people, you're an a-hole. It is that simple! Just don't be an a-hole, and everything is ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Why is this so difficult for people? It is 2015, and our society has seemingly devolved into two groups of ridiculous twats:

1) Asinine, smarmy, self-righteous college kids making everything a "social justice" issue to stroke their overly developed egos.

2) Xenophobic douchebags crying oppression whenever their blatant bigotry is pointed out.

Meanwhile, the real issues are lost in the background.

This is easy to figure out, guys: if you do things that belittle and hurt other people, you're an a-hole. It is that simple! Just don't be an a-hole, and everything is ok!

It gets lot more complicated than that with issues around perceptions, context, historical revisionism, today's conventions vs. yesterday's conventions, etc.

Outrage Over The Flintstones “Gay Old Time” | Knowingly Undersold

"...
    This week, public outcry reached deafening levels as the classic ABC animated sitcom The Flintstones was lambasted for its perceived intolerance and insensitivity towards homosexuals and their lifestyles ..."

Finally caving (no pun intended) in response to the growing media frenzy, Warner Brothers Animation announced this morning it would be removing the line from the legendary theme song, and replacing it with..."

https://knowinglyundersold.wordpress...-gay-old-time/

How ‘Gay’ Came to Mean ‘Homosexual’

"...
    By 1955, the word gay now officially acquired the new added definition of meaning homosexual males. Gay men themselves seem to have been behind the driving thrust for this new definition as they felt (and many still do), that “homosexual” is much too clinical, sounding like a disorder. As such, it was common amongst the gay community to refer to one another as “gay” decades before this was a commonly known definition (reportedly homosexual men were calling one another gay as early as the 1920s). ..."

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....an-homosexual/
    Last edited by KC; 26-11-2015 at 06:50 PM.

What I've figured out in the last 15 years or so is that as the internet has become more popular with the general population that we become a much more offensive society. It's literally snowballing out of control/

Was it always going in this direction or is it because of the digitally written (and forever) word?

First One is Always Free

^^^
    It's getting to the point now IMO where you can no longer say anything that could be perceived as even remotely controversial anywhere but with the privacy of yer own home. And forget about making any kind of controversial posts, tweets, etc etc- in this hyper politically correct era yer bound to offend someone. Too bad. It seems like in this day and age Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression essentially only exist in name only. We pay lip service to it, but you better tow the g-ddamn line and not say anything that is likely to pi-s anybody off.

Nah, this has just depended into whining and slippery slope arguments on both sides.

It isn't rocket science. If you do things that hurt other people, you're a DB. If you pretend things that no one actually cares about are hurtful, you're a DB.

And no, it isn't hard to tell the difference. It is bloody obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Scona, Class of '94 View Post
    ^^^
    It's getting to the point now IMO where you can no longer say anything that could be perceived as even remotely controversial anywhere but with the privacy of yer own home. And forget about making any kind of controversial posts, tweets, etc etc- in this hyper politically correct era yer bound to offend someone. Too bad. It seems like in this day and age Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression essentially only exist in name only. We pay lip service to it, but you better tow the g-ddamn line and not say anything that is likely to pi-s anybody off.
    You have just about hit the nail on the head. It seems one cannot disagree, dislike or comment about anything without someone hectoring that you are wrong. Certain high strung people calling you all kinds of names because you do not agree with their stance. Of course their opinion is always much more valuable than yours, they loathe to think they are intellectually inferior to anyone. They have no qualms about calling you names but you don't dis their favorite social cause of the day. Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Expression mean Do As I Say and Not As I Do to some people.

First One is Always Free

^^^
    Exactly, Gemini- the levels of hypocrisy, sanctimony and self righteousness in today's society are going through the roof...sure, there's a little of all of the above in everybody -whether we care to admit it or not- but some people nowadays take it to ridiculous extremes.

I remember a T-shirt I used to have back in high school that seriously raised the ire of my Social 30 teacher...it read:

"Politically correct- yet another contradiction in terms."

In the words of Vito Corleone, "I believed that then, and I believe that now."

C2E Super Addict

^^^
    You have the option to say pretty much anything you want, the thing you seem to have an issue with, is that other people then have the option to disagree with what you say.

Out of curiosity, could you give some examples of things you feel you want to say, but now feel unable to?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itís not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

First One is Always Free

^^^
    It's not just me, expat- I'm talking about our society in general.

You want a general example? Given the time of year, how about "Merry Christmas" instead of the generic "Happy Holidays"? Raise yer hands, folks, if you can remember being in elementary school and everybody gets together in the gym and sings Christmas carols...I bet they don't do that anymore, lest somebody get offended by it.

I'd say Gemini's post (#31) pretty much nailed the situation.

We don't have a democracy anymore where the majority rules. Nowadays all it takes is one complaint and everyone is forced to tow the line. It is not a dictatorship but something else that there is possibly a technical name for where one insignificant idea is thrust upon everyone else. For example, a person's spills a hot coffee on their lap at a Tim Hortons drive thru. Just because they are a klutz and cannot understand what a hot coffee is, it becomes a national story and causes everyone to get a cooler coffee and warning labels to be put on every cup.

There are countless examples of a single person or a small vocal group having the power to force the majority to accommodate them at a huge cost to society.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 01-12-2015 at 05:08 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

First One is Always Free

^^^
    Absolutely g-ddamn right.

highlander

^^^

You want a general example? Given the time of year, how about "Merry Christmas" instead of the generic "Happy Holidays"? Raise yer hands, folks, if you can remember being in elementary school and everybody gets together in the gym and sings Christmas carols...I bet they don't do that anymore, lest somebody get offended by it.

People say merry Christmas all the time, even public figures do. I don't mind "happy holidays" because it covers new years too. It's a real greeting.

"Season's Greetings", on the other hand, is a lame excuse and a meta-greeting. We all know what the season is, and we all know the greeting that you don't think you can say, so why not say it?

U of O students' decision to cancel yoga class sparks Internet backlash.

A mind-bending act of political correctness by student leaders at the University of Ottawa has sparked an international backlash on social media.
    Student leaders at the university halted free yoga classes earlier this fall because of concerns that its practice was not sufficiently sensitive to yoga’s cultural roots.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...232/story.html

Geez, it seems more and more people are getting offended over sweet F A. When is this going to stop. Have we totally lost all sense of reason/humour/understanding. It seems no matter what anyone does or says there is someone out there that is going to question it because they got offended over such a minor detail. Yoga not sufficiently sensitive to yoga's cultural roots. Good Gawd, you cannot make this stuff up.

Cultural appropriation is a really subject. And just like white privileged we have a history of colonization privilege. Noting wrong with being aware.

A great piece of satire

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 01-12-2015 at 09:10 AM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    ^^^

People say merry Christmas all the time, even public figures do. I don't mind "happy holidays" because it covers new years too. It's a real greeting.

"Season's Greetings", on the other hand, is a lame excuse and a meta-greeting. We all know what the season is, and we all know the greeting that you don't think you can say, so why not say it?

I say "merry christmas", and I am not nor have I ever been Christian. Christmas is a cultural holiday for more people than it is a religious holiday. To me, it means buying people gifts, getting together with friends and family, and horribly annoying jingles. This is the case for pretty much everyone I know. I've celebrated christmas with Muslims, Jews, Atheists, and Hindus. We buy each other gifts and hold parties, and no one cares about what the holiday is called. To us, it is a cultural holiday - not a religious one.

The only people I've ever heard talking about "Christmas" being a politically incorrect name are the people claiming that other people are trying to ban it.

highlander

^^So? Is there some sort of rule that everything must be authentic, or that nothing may ever change? Yoga today is different than it was just a couple decades ago, and that's fine.

We don't need to apologize to England for appropriating Rugby and then morphing it into our football. or to the Dutch for appropriating SinterKlaas into Santa, cause they appropriated him from Pre-turk Asia Minor via the catholic church ages ago.

I can't even imagine the consultations that were necessary when Boston Pizza introduced the Pyrogy and Taco Pizzas.

The issue is the poses of yoga are only one part of... 5(?) arms of what makes up yoga. There is a set of beliefs and ways to approach the world.

Do we have to be authentic no.... Respectful? Likely. Te best part is it doesn't cost anything to be respectful and you get so much more out of the experience.

Martial arts remains respectful to its roots. You just don't learn to kick and punch.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

highlander

^^^

I say "merry christmas", and I am not nor have I ever been Christian. Christmas is a cultural holiday for more people than it is a religious holiday. To me, it means buying people gifts, getting together with friends and family, and horribly annoying jingles. This is the case for pretty much everyone I know. I've celebrated christmas with Muslims, Jews, Atheists, and Hindus. We buy each other gifts and hold parties, and no one cares about what the holiday is called. To us, it is a cultural holiday - not a religious one.

The only people I've ever heard talking about "Christmas" being a politically incorrect name are the people claiming that other people are trying to ban it.
    That's most of it, but there are some little hints of over-sensitive accommodation, replacing "christmas" with "holiday" or "seasonal" a bit too dogmatically in advertising or in public institutions.

So a Chinese kid living in France cannot dress up as a Indian warrior? Can a black kid in Maryland not be allowed to wear a Superman costume? Can nobody wear a Pontiff costume unless you are the actual Pope? Do we have to conform to our station?

^ It's a pretty easy concept, PRT. If you do things that hurt other people and make them feel bad, you suck as a person.

It isn't difficult to identify when things are appropriate or not. You should have learned how to do so by age 5 to pass through kindergarten education.

You guys keep making this out to be some crazy, convoluted mess. It isn't, it is pretty simple: if you act like a dick, you get called a dick.

highlander

Not quite. If you do things TO hurt/disrespect someone, you suck as a person. People remain free to be hurt by non-hurtful things.

^ It's a pretty easy concept, PRT. If you do things that hurt other people and make them feel bad, you suck as a person.

It isn't difficult to identify when things are appropriate or not. You should have learned how to do so by age 5 to pass through kindergarten education.

You guys keep making this out to be some crazy, convoluted mess. It isn't, it is pretty simple: if you act like a dick, you get called a dick.
    You are the most hurtful person I know.

Not quite. If you do things TO hurt/disrespect someone, you suck as a person. People remain free to be hurt by non-hurtful things.
    A very important distinction. The intent matters.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    We don't have a democracy anymore where the majority rules. Nowadays all it takes is one complaint and everyone is forced to tow the line. It is not a dictatorship but something else that there is possibly a technical name for where one insignificant idea is thrust upon everyone else. For example, a person's spills a hot coffee on their lap at a Tim Hortons drive thru. Just because they are a klutz and cannot understand what a hot coffee is, it becomes a national story and causes everyone to get a cooler coffee and warning labels to be put on every cup.

There are countless examples of a single person or a small vocal group having the power to force the majority to accommodate them at a huge cost to society.
    I'm not taking issue with the overall thrust of your post, but the "McDonald's hot coffee" case is pretty much an urban myth at this point, with a massive amount of ignorance of the true facts of the case. Some of which are presented here if you're interested: http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

And here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebec...7s_Restaurants

There was even a documentary about how in general some corporations have spent millions distorting court cases like it in order to push tort reform: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Coffee_(film)

If that is the case then #jeardosucksasaperson

Re. the hot coffee issue (if it's an issue), I invariably have to ask baristas/counter people to steam the milk a little longer. If I don't do that, I'll end up with a cup of coffee that is halfway cool before I get the sugar dissolved in it.

It seems to be almost universal now that cafes have one eye on being sued every time they brew up a cup of jo.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

First One is Always Free

My family is English, so we mainly stick to "Happy Christmas"

What I was really getting at was how we tend to stick to the non-secular, non offensive holiday greetings in this hyper politically correct day and age. It all pretty much started after 9/11, after all. Were people afraid somebody was going to crash a plane into a building because somebody told them "Happy Christmas" instead of "Season's Greetings?"

I removed my post.

Me too, then. I'm legitimately not here to "stir up controversy". I've seen the ugly side of people with regard to racism and abuse outside the internet, and they use the same arguments about others who call them out being "too PC". As such, the topic touches home.

My family is English, so we mainly stick to "Happy Christmas"

What I was really getting at was how we tend to stick to the non-secular, non offensive holiday greetings in this hyper politically correct day and age. It all pretty much started after 9/11, after all. Were people afraid somebody was going to crash a plane into a building because somebody told them "Happy Christmas" instead of "Season's Greetings?"
    Not after 9/11. Long before that. No tie to terrorism here.

Interesting (see below). Gives me pause to think about letting my daughter wear a princess's crown, dress, etc. - the crown particularly being an item that is also highly symbolic of ancient traditional/cultural beliefs and I believe is usually highly restricted in British culture to just members of one single family. I'm not sure about other royal families.

Janet Gretzky under fire for ‘Aboriginal’ headdress photo

Dozens of commenters wrote to Gretzky, lambasting the hockey wife for photographing the girls in traditional First Nations headdresses. They accused her of cultural appropriation and misunderstanding aboriginal culture.

“In Canada, we work tirelessly for understanding and reconciliation with our First Nations people. Your family can do what you like, but with your wealth and high Canadian profile, the cultural insensitivity you have displayed in this post gives me pause and no pleasure,” wrote shllclark5.

Many of the comments focus on the traditional bestowing of headdresses in native culture, which is an item earned (usually by men) in Plains cultures. It is very rare for women to receive a headdress, and to wear one without earning it is akin to claiming you have a Bachelor’s degree or military medal when you actually don’t.

It is a very charged issue, ...
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2871001/ja...address-photo/

One more:

Is some Olympic commentary sexist?

By Claire Bates, BBC News Magazine, 11 August 2016

Descriptions of some women athletes have been called "offensive"

The husband of a gold medallist was referred to as the "man responsible" for her world record

One gymnast was criticised when her leotard "failed to complement her skin tone"

But these examples are just the tip of the iceberg, according to a recent study by Cambridge University Press. Researchers analysed millions of words relating to men and women and Olympic sports in the Cambridge English Corpus (CEC) and the Sport Corpus - massive databases that include news articles and posts on social media.

The study revealed common word combinations for female athletes included aged, older, pregnant and married or unmarried. In contrast, top word combinations for male athletes included fastest, strong, big and great.
    It also found that the language around women in sport also focussed disproportionately on appearance, clothes and personal lives.

Some might even find their comments sought out as people play Megan Ford's Olympics sexism bingo game {link} which has been widely shared on Twitter and Facebook. She has created a grid where players tick off when "a woman over the age of 21 is called a girl" and "a black female athlete's hair is criticized."

It is a game, she notes, in which "everybody loses."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37037050
    Last edited by KC; 11-08-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Oh boy, another slow news day. Somebody got offended by someone on some day. I often wonder if 500 to 1,000 years down the road if 'traditions' will be the next things to go the way of the dodo bird. Sacred traditions may have no place in the world of the future. Somebody wears a crown for that reason, somebody wears lederhosen cause this was the dance men did blah blah, somebody hangs yak testicles from their belt to ward off the bogey man. This is sacred because it has magical powers, it will make you feel better, a warrior, a prince, a prick. I'm sure those girls did not dress up in native clothing to offend anyone. Article does not explain why they did it but it was probably a very benign reason. I'm just off to wrap myself in an German flag. I'm not German but if someone is who is reading this and they are offended please don't p.m. me.

It is a form of exercise, what sensitivity and what political correctness is required? Too much stupidity in this case.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Is it such a surprise that it seems like everyone takes offense at everyone else? Taking offense has become an industry. And just like any industry, it's goal is to expand its market & production to maximize profitability, without regard to the consequences. Sell sell sell => sue sue sue. It's belligerent cowardice. Everything is possible, and nothing is allowed, simultaneously.

College Campuses are a great testing platform and recruiting ground for this.

10 Most Absurd Things Banned on Politically Correct College Campuses:

http://listverse.com/2015/08/25/10-m...lege-campuses/

^Yip, serving burritos at a science fiction conference is obviously comparing Hispanics to aliens... What a hoot.

That list is insane but doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Yeah, the P C crowd will have to get back down to earth pretty soon as the rest of us are getting tired of walking on egg shells when we speak. I just hate it when some fringe groups (like those in the article) spoil things for everyone else. I am surprised that thin skinned people like them have any fun it life. Always looking for the negative and if there is not one they will manufacture one.

Asian student silenced and removed from a California university "Safe Space" for detailing her racist experiences with blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8UTj8lQJhY

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Asian student silenced and removed from a California university "Safe Space" for detailing her racist experiences with blacks.

I haven't watched the video yet - the comments distracted me. Over 8,000 and some are quite beyond belief.

That's kind of weird. She's supposed to be protesting against segregated "safe spaces" for minority groups, but that's not what her speech is about. It's about how black people can be racist.

I suppose that a lot of the people who want safe-spaces might also be the kind of people who think blacks can't be racist("noble savage" stereotypes and all that), but her speech still seems a little out of place for the purported issue of the rally.

It's sad that university students these days pretty much have to accept this sort of nonsense on a daily basis in order to graduate. Students from generation bubblewrap are forming entire movements and unions around this sort of faux-progressive opinion-gagging, with permission from administrations. What's concerning is that anyone who speaks out against it has a much harder time moving through the post-secondary system. It's affecting people in a real way.

Personally, I think if you need a "safe space" from words and ideas, you might consider suicide because you were never meant for this world. God forbid that people have strongly-opposing viewpoints and that you have to actually be exposed to them and deal with it like an adult.

This is the pampered, coddled special snowflake generation. The real thing, not partial as in gens past.

It's gonna get uglier (and more mundane). And then, one day, we get to elect them. Just think about that.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

We have gone from 18 year olds storming the beaches in Normandy to groups crying because their feeling got hurt. Spineless and weak this generation is and worse yet to come.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

^I have read some reports that the next generation, generation z, might be a little bit better. These are the children of Gen X, they are a lot more cynical / less ideological than the children of the boomers. Eco-fatigue for example, is strong in them, they aren't the children of hippies trying to change the world, and also aren't as likely to join the sheeple mindlessly believing all the eco-nut / climate change nonsense being constantly spewed down our throats today. I suspect their feelings / attitudes to political correctness are a bit stronger as well. They have grown up in tougher times economically (especially in US), so are more concerned about money / stable jobs.

“Gen Z has a clear advantage over Gen Y because they appear to be more realistic instead of optimistic, are likely to be more career-minded, and can quickly adapt to new technology to work more effectively,” said Dan Schawbel, founder of Millennial Branding and Author of ‘Promote Yourself’ in a press release. “Additionally, since Gen Z has seen how much Gen Y has struggled in the recession, they come to the workplace better prepared, less entitled and more equipped to succeed.”
    http://smallbiztrends.com/2016/07/mi...eration-z.html
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-08-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    We have gone from 18 year olds storming the beaches in Normandy to groups crying because their feeling got hurt. Spineless and weak this generation is and worse yet to come.
    Every generation faces their own issues. Today they have drugs where a few grains can kill. (Just touching the raw product can kill. ) On the issues though, they just continue to evolve/devolve with ideologists trying to push the envelope in one direction or other.

Politically-correct liberal media bias in Canadian news:

CBC news: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/passen...nton-1.3744054

Passengers help subdue unruly man on WestJet flight headed to Edmonton
    'I don’t honestly know if he was trying to open the door, he definitely was moving towards the door'

Israel's news: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/217248

Passenger praying to 'Allah' terrifies Canadian night flight
    On of the travelers told Canadian news network CTV that the man asserted non-believers should be executed.

^typical, the cbc doesn't even mention news it thinks might "offend" religious sensibilities, for fear of being called racist.

^Yup, write an article but leave out an important element of it in case people get offended.

Or, Israel National News is biased towards finding Islamist intentions?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arutz_Sheva
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^ It doesn't matter. The article cited details of the incident from CTV news in Canada. My point stands.

^ It doesn't matter. The article cited details of the incident from CTV news in Canada. My point stands.
    How could it not stand? You're defending your bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    How could it not stand? You're defending your bias.
    Fine. Keep your head stuck in the sand.

For the rest of the people with a working brain, here's the link to the CTV article that gives details of the passenger yelling that non-believers need to be killed (the detail that CBC chooses to leave out):

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/he-defini...dent-1.3053260

^???

The CBC article I read (and the one you linked to) has the same details. It just has a very...misleading headline.
    There can only be one.

^^But hey, don't let that stop you from devolving into personal attacks to protect your truthy feelings...

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^???

The CBC article I read (and the one you linked to) has the same details. It just has a very...misleading headline.
    No it doesn't, it doesn't say "Allah" in there anywhere, in fact, it very careful removes any reference that this could be yet another nut case muslin fanatic.

Yeah the CBC and CTV articles seem to contain the same details, now anyway as CTV's has been updated. The Israel linked article contains detail missing from the CTV article that is linked to above. Is there another article or version available that the Israel article obtained information from, or is that source distorting the truth?

Here, (see below) it seems that Allah may have been edited out. Which it sounds like it should have been removed because of the nature of the information. The Rebel doesn't seem to believe in doing its own fact checking but instead questioning good reporting. (Remember how 60 Minutes was burned by its sloppy verification of information.) we'll have to see if the Rebel bothers to send out a reporter to do professional quality reporting.

WestJet passenger, Steven Kelly who helped restrain the otherwise unidentified large 20 year old, accidentally blew up the media’s “unknown motive narrative” in an interview with CTV News when he said someone heard the man say “Allah” a few times.

http://www.therebel.media/why_did_me...senger_stories
    Last edited by KC; 02-09-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Cripes, way to confuse the issue or what. I think the reference we are all alluding to is that the CBC article posted did not include the word 'Allah'. Some of us figured it out right after Mr. Oilers posted it. It was pretty glaringly obvious CBC was not going there. The rest of you Sherlocks are just clueing in confusing the rest who have just joined the conversation.
    Last edited by Gemini; 02-09-2016 at 05:04 PM.

if you don't like to be offended by someone, don't bother seeking revenge and just be yourself. you know for one common thing is " reap what you have sown ".
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Cripes, way to confuse the issue or what. I think the reference we are all alluding to is that the CBC article posted did not include the word 'Allah'. Some of us figured it out right after Mr. Oilers posted it. It was pretty glaringly obvious CBC was not going there. The rest of you Sherlocks are just clueing in confusing the rest who have just joined the conversation.
    And the CTV article seems to have removed the word Allah. CTV's biased too? Who said what when to who.

"Someone heard"

Lastly, didn't I hear that someone heard that Bush said "God" when he announced the invasion of Iraq. The religious fanatic!

RELIGION

‘God Bless America’ In Presidential Speeches Has A Little-Known, Uncomfortable Beginning
    Jan 28, 2014

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4676177
    Last edited by KC; 02-09-2016 at 08:11 PM.

They can credit Irving Berlin for coining the phrase 'God Bless America' when he wrote the song in 1918 then revised it in 1938.
    People were singing 'God Bless America' (presidents alike) way before they were saying it.
    'In God We Trust' is the official motto of the U S A it's also on their coins. Not sure why Huff Post would be singling out God Bless America just because presidents are now saying it.

Along with mosquitoes, can we not just eradicate religion from the world?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME

Politically-correct liberal media bias in Canadian news:

CBC news: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/passen...nton-1.3744054

Passengers help subdue unruly man on WestJet flight headed to Edmonton
    'I donít honestly know if he was trying to open the door, he definitely was moving towards the door'
    Israel's news: http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/217248

Passenger praying to 'Allah' terrifies Canadian night flight
    On of the travelers told Canadian news network CTV that the man asserted non-believers should be executed.
    What is your point, exactly? The CBC article specifically mentions that the guy was praying, and saying that unbelievers should be executed. Near as I can tell, the only difference is that the CBC article doesn't specifically mention "Allah". That's "politically correct liberal media bias"?

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers
    For the rest of the people with a working brain, here's the link to the CTV article that gives details of the passenger yelling that non-believers need to be killed (the detail that CBC chooses to leave out)

The CBC article always had that mentioned in it. I specifically remember seeing it mentioned when I originally read the article last Thursday. You obviously just didn't read to the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    What is your point, exactly? The CBC article specifically mentions that the guy was praying, and saying that unbelievers should be executed. Near as I can tell, the only difference is that the CBC article doesn't specifically mention "Allah". That's "politically correct liberal media bias"?
    Yes it is. The liberal media now plays down any incident of Muslim related violence, even though we have seen a massive increase in it. The harsh reality is Muslim extremists are becoming more and more common, but the Liberal media tries hard to portray Islam as a peaceful religion by downplaying incidents. This is total PC nonsense, like all religions, including Christianity, the religions roots are based in exclusion, genocide and hatred towards others, but where some religions have become more peaceful, many of the followers of Islam seem to be going in the opposite direction per these incidents. Editing out the religions name from articles is PC nonsense, and ironic given these religious nuts hate the secular/inclusive beliefs that many in the Liberal media hold.
    Last edited by moahunter; 06-09-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Why this radical activist is disillusioned by the toxic culture of the left

It's disgusting that the left claims to be fighting for a better way of dealing with social problems, but if a person makes a mistake or says something wrong, they are not even given a chance to explain their side of what happened. This is because the process of conflict resolution is now driven by ideology rather than a willingness to understand facts. In today’s activist circles one is lucky to be given any sort of due process at all. Meanwhile, everyone is put under social pressure to believe everything they are told, regardless of what actually occurred in a given situation.

This is not freedom. This is not social justice. There is nothing “progressive” or “radical” about it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a6895211.html

Calgary student wears trump hat, fellow student gets her panties in a twist because her "safe space" was violated:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...reat-1.3764642

Is there anybody more sheltered, pathetic and soft than today's college students? Unreal... I can't believe anybody even humoured that id1ot, rather than just publicly mocking her to hell and back like they should have.

Calgary student wears trump hat, fellow student gets her panties in a twist because her "safe space" was violated:

Is there anybody more sheltered, pathetic and soft than today's college students? Unreal... I can't believe anybody even humoured that id1ot, rather than just publicly mocking her to hell and back like they should have.
    Yeah that's sure a big overreaction on the part of her crotch for a guy campaigning in the wrong country. If the guy doesn't know that the election is south of the border, that girl should have recognized that he has some mental condition and shown some compassion for his limitations.

She's kind of a brainwashed nutbar a bit I'd say. I hate to break it to her but if Alberta was part of the USA in November Trump would win our state hands down.

Oh good lawd. She's more scary than the hat. Get a personality transplant woman.

Hate language??..what is she talking about? what a nutjob...LOL

Give him the hat back, dude..

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post

Now apparently she is getting threats. Mentally disturbed people everywhere taking to the Internet.

Its foreign politics, etc. contaminating Canadian politics, values, thinking, etc. and everyone flips out, talking "safe spaces", Trump's anti-politcal-establishment, etc. and taking sides with a foreign driven ideology without any consideration for life here and so without any thinking for themselves. Like religion, people just adopt what gets handed to them.

Do we need the safe spaces movement in Canada?
    Do we need an ant-establishment candidate in Canada?
    Last edited by KC; 17-09-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Probably not. But we need to avoid censoring them if/when they appear.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post

Now apparently she is getting threats. Mentally disturbed people everywhere taking to the Internet.

Its foreign politics, etc. contaminating Canadian politics, values, thinking, etc. and everyone flips out, talking "safe spaces", Trump's anti-politcal-establishment, etc. and taking sides with a foreign driven ideology without any consideration for life here and so without any thinking for themselves. Like religion, people just adopt what gets handed to them.

I don't want her threatened, maybe she can learn from this. Its not her way or the highway!..Respect others opinions.. She obviously doesn't...

Maybe she will learn to keep her trap shut and let people wear what they want

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Maybe she will learn to keep her trap shut and let people wear what they want
    "will learn". I take it that you're not exactly a proponent of free speech.

I think stuff like this serves as a useful reminder about how many people out there are mentally unstable. Maybe this girl has already been sensitized to it and so doesn't like freedom of expression, either.

This week, a wee ruckus erupted at Mount Royal University when a student wore a Trump-supporting “Make America Great Again” cap to campus. The slogan on the hat, another student complained, might make others feel too unsafe to come to class.

(And now Calgary — and this is not the slightest bit funny — the girl who complained about the hat is reportedly getting death and rape threats. This is exponentially worse than over-reacting to a hat. Please note: people who are absurdly strident about ball caps have a right to their opinions, too. And no one has the right to make death and rape threats. Ever. That’s far more than obnoxious or naive. That’s beyond the pale.)

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...ump-supporters

Last edited by KC; 17-09-2016 at 06:12 PM.

Far left activist says the word 'terror" is offensive because Muslims may get hurt feelings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NojoND62sG4

Oh FFS. When are we going to stop entertaining these nut jobs. What are we supposed to call 'terrorists' Cuddles?. Or 'terrorists attacks', warm cuddly things. Sometimes you just want to slap people.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast