Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 701 to 750 of 750

Thread: Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

  1. #701
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,794

    Default



    Top_Dawg absolutely loves these little ironies.

    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...=1515635622376

  2. #702
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,962

    Default

    He has since incorporated Make it Awkward, and he said he hopes to one day make a comfortable living off the campaign.
    Very altruistic of him. It's not even a non-profit.

  3. #703
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,495

    Default

    Perhaps what he really needs is corporate sponsorship
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  4. #704
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,962

    Default

    Looks like the city has already kicked in 30k. Their claim that because they're just buying tickets for youths to attend the conference and therefore they're not funding a for-profit corporation is totally bunk. And for what it's worth, I take his word that the event will be lucky to break even. My concern isn't the conference. My concern is that social advocacy isn't supposed to be for profit. The fact he and his wife incorporated Make it Awkward as a for-profit business makes me very suspicious of what their true motivations are here. And private corporations will wonder the exact same thing and will be virtually guaranteed to not be interested in providing sponsorship.

  5. #705
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,495

    Default

    I think we can all agree that Lipscombe needs to improve his event organizational management skills. $445 a head to listen to mostly-local activists is ridiculous, given that it costs less than 1/4 of that to attend panels by Hollywood celebrities at the Edmonton Expo.

    For-Profit Activism? Now that’s Awkward
    http://www.metronews.ca/views/opinio...s-awkward.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  6. #706

    Default

    Like pulling the Hitler card, this writer pulled the Stalin card:



    Don Martin: Political correctness behind Sir John A. pub name change

    By Don Martin, Power Play Host, January 11, 2018 5:52PM EST


    “Surely this is a sign of hyper-reactive cleansing for the sake of political correctness, a small step toward the sort of Stalinist purging of people from Soviet history.

    True, Macdonald's record has a big black mark for being the presiding prime minister when Indigenous residential schools began their aggressive and abusive assimilation of children into the white man’s culture.

    But these schools flourished in the 1930s and persisted right up until 20 years ago without any subsequent prime ministerial intervention to stop them. ...”

    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-...ange-1.3755807

  7. #707
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I think we can all agree that Lipscombe needs to improve his event organizational management skills. $445 a head to listen to mostly-local activists is ridiculous, given that it costs less than 1/4 of that to attend panels by Hollywood celebrities at the Edmonton Expo.

    For-Profit Activism? Now that’s Awkward
    http://www.metronews.ca/views/opinio...s-awkward.html
    I was out of town and didn't follow what happened on social media the last few days, but did happen to come across an apology from Lipscombe. Sounds like he got extremely defensive about the criticism and made things worse for himself. Apparently he called Danielle Paradis a "**** journalist" because of her Metro article. Here's the apology, copied from his Facebook page (which appears to be mostly public, I don't know him myself):

    An apology from #Makeitawkward, but specifically from me.Please share so those that need to hear can.
    #MakeItAwkward would like to apologize unequivocally for a very insensitive comment. Saying that “poor is a state of mind” was wrong. Although we didn’t mean it as it’s been interpreted, the intention is irrelevant. It was unacceptable and not representative of how we feel. Poverty is truly vicious reality for too many people.

    We would like to apologize for not taking criticism as well as we should have. Our movement is all about Making It Awkward, and when some of our critics made it awkward for us, we responded by being defensive instead of introspective. We are learning and committed to listening better.

    We are sorry for any confusion surrounding what our event is about. Our event was always intended to be professional and personal development for folks in leadership and management positions – people who could learn about Inclusivity and bring it back to their respective environments. Though that was our target audience, we also wanted to open it up to as many people as possible – hence the tiered pricing and free live-streaming. Perhaps we cast our net too broadly and in so doing wound up excluding where we wanted to be inclusive. We have learned so much already from the feedback, and we will do better next time.
    We are sorry for our mistakes. We will probably make more. But we believe in our event. We believe in the value of the presentations of our three-day summit. The content, our speakers and our shared goals are to make better Edmontonians and the space they occupy more inclusive.

    Bolding mine. That line, is in my opinion, quite important on what his thinking and strategy is for his private, for-profit venture. He's decided to become a diversity consultant to get some of those sweet, sweet corporate dollars. At least he clarified his true motivations, whether he meant to or not.

  8. #708
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,495

    Default

    I was unaware of his snit with Metro.
    Last I heard, just before the weekend an issue was raised re: city funding

    https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/criticis...vent-1.3757902
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  9. #709
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    He's making money!

  10. #710
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTV Article above
    Lipscombe is promising financial transparency when he tallies up the cost of the summit, currently estimated - he tells CTV NEWS - at $140,000.
    Well, if MIA was a non-profit, we'd all be able to review audited financial statements of the organization, instead of hoping he comes good on his promises of transparency that actually have no legal or fiduciary basis with which to be enforced. If he wants to be a diversity consultant as opposed to a true advocate, then just say so. He should stop trying to have it both ways.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 15-01-2018 at 03:16 PM.

  11. #711

    Default

    Lipscombe seems to know a lot about making it awkward..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  12. #712
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Lipscombe seems to know a lot about making it awkward..
    Yes, he sure does!

  13. #713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Like pulling the Hitler card, this writer pulled the Stalin card:



    Don Martin: Political correctness behind Sir John A. pub name change

    By Don Martin, Power Play Host, January 11, 2018 5:52PM EST


    “Surely this is a sign of hyper-reactive cleansing for the sake of political correctness, a small step toward the sort of Stalinist purging of people from Soviet history.

    True, Macdonald's record has a big black mark for being the presiding prime minister when Indigenous residential schools began their aggressive and abusive assimilation of children into the white man’s culture.

    But these schools flourished in the 1930s and persisted right up until 20 years ago without any subsequent prime ministerial intervention to stop them. ...”

    https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-...ange-1.3755807
    I am not a fan of Martin. Yes, I agree it would be helpful if he left the hyperbole about Stalinism out of it. Of course, Stalin did a lot of bad things, but he has nothing to do with this, this is a 100% Canadian issue and bringing up Stalin mostly only muddies the issues.

    However, I do understand the point I think Martin was trying to make that MacDonald was not the only one responsible for this and should not be solely blamed. Yes, he was the first Prime Minister, but he was only carrying on the type of treatment and attitudes that existed before him and this continued on way after him, just as George Washington was not the first or last slave owner in the US. I do think the targeting of here MacDonald reflects a misunderstanding of history or is based on some sort of revisionism by people who do not really understand Canadian history.

  14. #714

    Default

    Could this 'Make it Awkward' event not have been held at a less expensive place. Rent out a hall or a community space and hire/invite 2-3 food trucks to be outside. Now I'm sure in between speakers and talkers and squawkers there would be time to go out and have a bite. I get the impression this event is more for the movers and shakers in this town and not the actual downtrodden regular abused Joe Public (of any race or creed). A chance for those with the cash to be seen and also to be seen as worldly and all encompassing and the rest of the crap these SJW want you to swallow. Meanwhile the people who have actually been in the mist of bigotry/exclusion/hate crime/ etc are left outside with their noses pressed up against the window.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  15. #715

    Default

    Ottawa "human rights advocate" is sad to hear that a hate crime was a hoax and that an 11-year old girl in Ontario wasn't really assaulted:


    "Amira Elghawaby, a human rights advocate based in Ottawa, said she was saddened to learn that the girl's story was not true, adding it will likely only serve to embolden "those who do hold discriminatory views of Muslims."

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tack-1.4487716

  16. #716

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Ottawa "human rights advocate" is sad to hear that a hate crime was a hoax and that an 11-year old girl in Ontario wasn't really assaulted:


    "Amira Elghawaby, a human rights advocate based in Ottawa, said she was saddened to learn that the girl's story was not true, adding it will likely only serve to embolden "those who do hold discriminatory views of Muslims."

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tack-1.4487716
    The original story spread world wide debasing Canada in the eyes of most people. I don’t know if the non-fake news went very far. Good old media’s rush to publish.

  17. #717

    Default

    Little children cry wolf sometimes. It has happened for centuries. I remember such stories decades ago where children claimed they were taken but later revealed they ran away from home and the like...


    We have a child who crys wolf often and lies all the time in 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  18. #718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The original story spread world wide debasing Canada in the eyes of most people. I don’t know if the non-fake news went very far. Good old media’s rush to publish.

    This is becoming a huge problem with news nowadays. Stories make headlines everywhere, but the retractions/corrections/follow-ups do not.

    You see this all the time on Twitter and Facebook pages for news outlets - original stories get shared or re-posted thousands of times, and the later "correction" maybe gets only gets passed on couple of hundred times.

  19. #719

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Ottawa "human rights advocate" is sad to hear that a hate crime was a hoax and that an 11-year old girl in Ontario wasn't really assaulted:


    "Amira Elghawaby, a human rights advocate based in Ottawa, said she was saddened to learn that the girl's story was not true, adding it will likely only serve to embolden "those who do hold discriminatory views of Muslims."

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tack-1.4487716
    The original story spread world wide debasing Canada in the eyes of most people. I don’t know if the non-fake news went very far. Good old media’s rush to publish.
    Activists said that we shouldn't let it distract us from the real epidemic of islamophobia.

    I think it should. It's the very focus on "islamophobia" that probably influenced the child to make up the story, thinking it credible, and led to the media circus orchestrated by the Toronto school board & police service, and all the widespread attention, and in the end the massive embarrassment to all involved.


    Not saying that actual incidents should be ignored. They should be investigated and if possible prosecuted. Some might be local news. But it's the focus spawns resentment on both sides, inspires copycats or revenge.

    Treat it like suicide, really.
    There can only be one.

  20. #720
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Ottawa "human rights advocate" is sad to hear that a hate crime was a hoax and that an 11-year old girl in Ontario wasn't really assaulted:


    "Amira Elghawaby, a human rights advocate based in Ottawa, said she was saddened to learn that the girl's story was not true, adding it will likely only serve to embolden "those who do hold discriminatory views of Muslims."

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tack-1.4487716

    The girl should apologise.

  21. #721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The original story spread world wide debasing Canada in the eyes of most people. I don’t know if the non-fake news went very far. Good old media’s rush to publish.

    This is becoming a huge problem with news nowadays. Stories make headlines everywhere, but the retractions/corrections/follow-ups do not.

    You see this all the time on Twitter and Facebook pages for news outlets - original stories get shared or re-posted thousands of times, and the later "correction" maybe gets only gets passed on couple of hundred times.
    People will weaponize this story to paint the media as fake and use this singular example as proof.

    It was true that she said she was attacked and the police did investigate the alleged incident and the media reported the same. The police got to the truth and the media reported the same. No retractions are necessary.

    We cannot use this example to say all other allegations are false and should not be reported or investigated. Otherwise we might as well get rid of our Amber Alert system because one child who goes missing, just slept over at a friend's house.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  22. #722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Ottawa "human rights advocate" is sad to hear that a hate crime was a hoax and that an 11-year old girl in Ontario wasn't really assaulted:


    "Amira Elghawaby, a human rights advocate based in Ottawa, said she was saddened to learn that the girl's story was not true, adding it will likely only serve to embolden "those who do hold discriminatory views of Muslims."

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...tack-1.4487716
    The original story spread world wide debasing Canada in the eyes of most people. I don’t know if the non-fake news went very far. Good old media’s rush to publish.
    Activists said that we shouldn't let it distract us from the real epidemic of islamophobia.

    I think it should. It's the very focus on "islamophobia" that probably influenced the child to make up the story, thinking it credible, and led to the media circus orchestrated by the Toronto school board & police service, and all the widespread attention, and in the end the massive embarrassment to all involved.


    Not saying that actual incidents should be ignored. They should be investigated and if possible prosecuted. Some might be local news. But it's the focus spawns resentment on both sides, inspires copycats or revenge.

    Treat it like suicide, really.
    “Epidemic”. Sad characterization.

    Also, the human rights person I saw speak in TV only spoke about the Islamic issue ;like the comment above about (Islamaphobia) and in the clip I saw didn’t mention others such as anti-semitism. Not expected but I’m wary of people only “talking their book” and not giving a damn about others rights.

  23. #723

    Default

    Here's a good article on the school board/ family / police / media /politician response:

    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/toro...6-2de8c21d6323
    There can only be one.

  24. #724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The original story spread world wide debasing Canada in the eyes of most people. I don’t know if the non-fake news went very far. Good old media’s rush to publish.

    This is becoming a huge problem with news nowadays. Stories make headlines everywhere, but the retractions/corrections/follow-ups do not.

    You see this all the time on Twitter and Facebook pages for news outlets - original stories get shared or re-posted thousands of times, and the later "correction" maybe gets only gets passed on couple of hundred times.
    People will weaponize this story to paint the media as fake and use this singular example as proof.

    It was true that she said she was attacked and the police did investigate the alleged incident and the media reported the same. The police got to the truth and the media reported the same. No retractions are necessary.

    We cannot use this example to say all other allegations are false and should not be reported or investigated. Otherwise we might as well get rid of our Amber Alert system because one child who goes missing, just slept over at a friend's house.
    That’s how it works. Execute one innocent person and that gets used against the practice of capital punishment. Does professional media want to be “perceived” as credible or largely credible or somewhat credible or just entertaining.

    When errors and misstatements are made and others disseminate those errors far and wide, what is the responsibility of the original propagators in order to correct the record?
    Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 10:05 AM.

  25. #725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    People will weaponize this story to paint the media as fake and use this singular example as proof.

    I am merely using this singular example (there are others) to paint the media as irresponsible. Should we not allowed to do that?

    I think it is insulting to all of Canada the way the media and professional commentators weaponized this child's claim as if it was a factual event. Because of the media's rush to "pump up" this fake victim story before they had all the facts, the hoax made international news and made our entire country look terrible. Meanwhile, the fact that it DID make national news just underlines how rare attacks like this actually are in our tolerant country.

  26. #726

    Default

    Here’s a good example of authoritarian societies (dictatorships) control over what can be said. Literal political correctness:

    Saudi prince 'fired after audio tape contradicts state' | Saudi Arabia News | Al Jazeera

    “Bin Saud reportedly stands accused of contradicting the official state version, “

    http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/0...075659964.html

  27. #727
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The original story spread world wide debasing Canada in the eyes of most people. I don’t know if the non-fake news went very far. Good old media’s rush to publish.

    This is becoming a huge problem with news nowadays. Stories make headlines everywhere, but the retractions/corrections/follow-ups do not.

    You see this all the time on Twitter and Facebook pages for news outlets - original stories get shared or re-posted thousands of times, and the later "correction" maybe gets only gets passed on couple of hundred times.
    Muslim, hijab..click bait...!

  28. #728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The original story spread world wide debasing Canada in the eyes of most people. I don’t know if the non-fake news went very far. Good old media’s rush to publish.

    This is becoming a huge problem with news nowadays. Stories make headlines everywhere, but the retractions/corrections/follow-ups do not.

    You see this all the time on Twitter and Facebook pages for news outlets - original stories get shared or re-posted thousands of times, and the later "correction" maybe gets only gets passed on couple of hundred times.
    People will weaponize this story to paint the media as fake and use this singular example as proof.

    It was true that she said she was attacked and the police did investigate the alleged incident and the media reported the same. The police got to the truth and the media reported the same. No retractions are necessary.

    We cannot use this example to say all other allegations are false and should not be reported or investigated. Otherwise we might as well get rid of our Amber Alert system because one child who goes missing, just slept over at a friend's house.
    This is not the point. All the activists and Trudeau milked this incident as further proof and reasons to bang the islamophobia drum one more time. To illustrate and amplify how heinous this was that it occurred and we'd been hearing it nonstop ever since. So that in its wake we were reminded how islamophobic the nation was and what a scourge it is, then, (and I can only view this with humor) the activists I saw on TV expressed even more concern now that filthy backlash would occur and that now this girl was in more danger blah blah blah.

    Its the clearest case of devil in the details. Islamophobia rhetoric being furthered whether the incident did or didn't occur and the vitriolic reaction being the same. That's a disturbing aspect of it that people can question. That a non instance occurred here and yet Islamophobia condemnation is furthered on a non event that never happened. The latter of which never really makes the news as much as the original grandstanding. Which Trudeau is resolutely happy to do so within a minutes notice.

    I don't single handedly blame this solely on the media though I am more concerned with a new found level of activism that behaves as it if wants there to be problems to further their own endeavors as paid activists professionally speaking out about the problems. We have one of those here as well in Jesse Lipscombe who wants to be earning his income on the basis of recounting prejudice here. He wants this to be his job. To call out racism here. This is the new for profit activism. But I wonder if the world gets better through such favor.
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 12:33 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  29. #729

    Default

    ^Have to feel sorry for this young girl. I suppose we will never know the reason she did this. I'm wondering if she did not want to wear her scarf for school but was told to by her parents. She is at an age where a little bit of rebellion happens. Anyway, in a time honored fashion of kids all the world over I wonder if she threw her brother under the bus.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  30. #730

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Have to feel sorry for this young girl. I suppose we will never know the reason she did this. I'm wondering if she did not want to wear her scarf for school but was told to by her parents. She is at an age where a little bit of rebellion happens. Anyway, in a time honored fashion of kids all the world over I wonder if she threw her brother under the bus.
    For sure I would feel sorry for the girl. But we live in such a currently reactionary crazed nation looking for news, and with a PM only so glad to make this todays news that one little thing like this gets amplified from a school yard setting to international news. That's the level of crazy entered into, that everybody should be taking a concerned look at.

    A similar level of crazy that has occurred around the nation and that causes for instance a University to clam that a TA showed "Something like showing a speech by Hitler" by showing a debate about the use of pronouns.

    Its the reactionary zeal that is crazy. Or again the paid activism that allows this to occur at Wilfred Laurier and for the manager of Gendered Violence Prevention and Support, Adria Joel, and the professor to attack Lindsay Shepard as if she were a stomping Nazi brownshirt. Boiled down though I worry about having paid activists in position on site who see it as there job to create and stir controversy even where none exists and apparently as furthering the need for their own paid mission. To what end effect? Certainly not legitimacy.
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 01:05 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  31. #731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Have to feel sorry for this young girl. I suppose we will never know the reason she did this.
    The first thought in my mind is she tore it accidentally (playing or whatever), and was afraid of getting punished by her parents. So she made up a story about somebody else doing it to her and running away, and the story escalated from there. But we will never know.

    I, for one, am glad that it turned out to be a hoax instead of some creep assaulting 11-year-olds.

  32. #732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Have to feel sorry for this young girl. I suppose we will never know the reason she did this. I'm wondering if she did not want to wear her scarf for school but was told to by her parents. She is at an age where a little bit of rebellion happens. Anyway, in a time honored fashion of kids all the world over I wonder if she threw her brother under the bus.
    For sure I would feel sorry for the girl. But we live in such a currently reactionary crazed nation looking for news, and with a PM only so glad to make this todays news that one little thing like this gets amplified from a school yard setting to international news. That's the level of crazy entered into, that everybody should be taking a concerned look at.

    A similar level of crazy that has occurred around the nation and that causes for instance a University to clam that a TA showed "Something like showing a speech by Hitler" by showing a debate about the use of pronouns.

    Its the reactionary zeal that is crazy. Or again the paid activism that allows this to occur at Wilfred Laurier and for the manager of Gendered Violence Prevention and Support, Adria Joel, and the professor to attack Lindsay Shepard as if she were a stomping Nazi brownshirt. Boiled down though I worry about having paid activists in position on site who see it as there job to create and stir controversy even where none exists and apparently as furthering the need for their own paid mission. To what end effect? Certainly not legitimacy.
    I'm betting this young kid is just wishing the whole thing would just go away. Yes, there are way to many SJW ready to pick up a cause and be offended for themselves and other people too. To much over the top knee jerk reaction to everything. Nobody knew at the time this girl was making this story up and it got out of hand. The sad thing is that if this happened again and was actually true how many people are going to take notice.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  33. #733

    Default

    As a society we are of course reinforcing a paradigm. Kind of a bizarre one. Any child could now know that if I make up something I could be talked about by my prime minister and world media within the hour and well before there is any confirmation whatsoever of what is alleged to have occurred. I can't fathom what a distortion of power that is that comes from this nature of reactionary zeal. I can't imagine what a child would think today about her world being so whacked that all this out of control reaction occurred. It would be scary in itself. If I made something up as a child and it made world news the same day as a reasonably sentient child I would just assume the world is insane.

    I wonder about a kid being sent to his/her room for a timeout just speed dialing the Prime Minister to claim injustice or refugee status..

    OK I'm jk with the latter but these are some crazy times.
    Last edited by Replacement; Yesterday at 01:39 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  34. #734

    Default

    ^I don't think that the girl who had the hijab incident woke up that morning thinking this is what I am going to do today. Whatever circumstances happened I think they just got out of hand and then she had no control over it. She probably told one person then that one person tweeted another then before you know it it's half way around the world in 10 minutes. Then you get Tater Tot in on it. I'm sure this girl is worried sick about all this and just wants it over with.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  35. #735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^I don't think that the girl who had the hijab incident woke up that morning thinking this is what I am going to do today. Whatever circumstances happened I think they just got out of hand and then she had no control over it. She probably told one person then that one person tweeted another then before you know it it's half way around the world in 10 minutes. Then you get Tater Tot in on it. I'm sure this girl is worried sick about all this and just wants it over with.
    Agreed, I was being flippant with the above post. I don't think intent is involved, just trying to hilite how crazy the unfolding of all this is. I mean how predictable was it that Tater tot was going to address the nation on it. I mean you just know that was happening the moment the *news* broke. I wonder how much its realized how much harm this would create for the girl, her family, and how scary it would be having swarms of media circling like locusts looking for any story.

    I agree that's how it probably got out. Schoolyard gossip. I'm glad that no person was directly implicated as the "attacker".

    If theres any positive in this at all its that it may cause some rethinking on how spring loaded the country, or western world is to be immediately acting on such perception.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

  36. #736

    Default

    ^She described her attacker as an Asian male around the age of 20-30. Spring loaded, well that's a good description. Hair trigger is another. Social media and regular media filling in the blanks with their own version of what happened, why it happened and we are all going to hell in a hand basket.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

  37. #737
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^I don't think that the girl who had the hijab incident woke up that morning thinking this is what I am going to do today. Whatever circumstances happened I think they just got out of hand and then she had no control over it. She probably told one person then that one person tweeted another then before you know it it's half way around the world in 10 minutes. Then you get Tater Tot in on it. I'm sure this girl is worried sick about all this and just wants it over with.
    She didnt seem worried at her press conference, I'd like to know who did cut it..

  38. #738

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Could this 'Make it Awkward' event not have been held at a less expensive place. Rent out a hall or a community space and hire/invite 2-3 food trucks to be outside. Now I'm sure in between speakers and talkers and squawkers there would be time to go out and have a bite. I get the impression this event is more for the movers and shakers in this town and not the actual downtrodden regular abused Joe Public (of any race or creed). A chance for those with the cash to be seen and also to be seen as worldly and all encompassing and the rest of the crap these SJW want you to swallow. Meanwhile the people who have actually been in the mist of bigotry/exclusion/hate crime/ etc are left outside with their noses pressed up against the window.
    Yes, I think his strategy is probably to get the movers and shakers to reflect on what they could do to change or make things better, not to just have those that have been victims talk. If it was, he would probably need a larger facility for that and the victims are not the ones that need to change.

    Perhaps he could have held the event at a less expensive place, but as someone who has on a few occasions been involved with organizing events, they often either don't seem to exist or if they are do they may not be suitable for such an event.

  39. #739
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    The girl should apologise.
    I would imagine she has privately, and is probably in a whole mess of trouble with her family. Publicly? Absolutely not. With the idiocy of social media, public shaming, and outright death threats it would be incredibly problematic for her identity to be revealed in a public apology.

    And after I type that, I see the Journal article where her family came forward publicly. These people are either incredibly brave or incredibly naive. I hope that they're ready for the whirlwind likely heading their way. Or I hope I'm wrong.

  40. #740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    As a society we are of course reinforcing a paradigm. Kind of a bizarre one. Any child could now know that if I make up something I could be talked about by my prime minister and world media within the hour and well before there is any confirmation whatsoever of what is alleged to have occurred. I can't fathom what a distortion of power that is that comes from this nature of reactionary zeal. I can't imagine what a child would think today about her world being so whacked that all this out of control reaction occurred. It would be scary in itself. If I made something up as a child and it made world news the same day as a reasonably sentient child I would just assume the world is insane.

    I wonder about a kid being sent to his/her room for a timeout just speed dialing the Prime Minister to claim injustice or refugee status..

    OK I'm jk with the latter but these are some crazy times.

    There’s times when kids are very deliberately ’weaponized’ and people in the know make no effort to correct the record, and if the truth ever comes out, even then those that should have come forward are never revealed. (It probably happens all the time in divorces.)


    Nayirah testimony - Wikipedia

    The Nayirah testimony was a false testimonygiven before the Congressional Human Rights Caucus on October 10, 1990 by a 15-year-old girl who provided only her first name, Nayirah. The testimony was widely publicized, and was cited numerous times by United States senators and President George H. W. Bush in their rationale to back Kuwait in the Gulf War. In 1992, it was revealed that Nayirah's last name was al-Ṣabaḥ (Arabic: نيره الصباح‎) and that she was the daughter of Saud Al-Sabah, the Kuwaiti ambassador to the United States. Furthermore, it was revealed that her testimony was organized as part of the Citizens for a Free Kuwait public relations campaign which was run by an American public relations firm Hill & Knowlton for the Kuwaiti government. Following this, al-Sabah's testimony has come to be regarded as a classic example of modern atrocity propaganda.[1][2]

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nayirah_testimony


    Atrocity propaganda - Wikipedia

    Atrocity propaganda is the spreading information about the crimes committed by an enemy, especially deliberate fabrications or exaggerations.[citation needed] It is a form of psychological warfare.[citation needed]

    The inherently violent nature of war means that exaggeration and invention of atrocities often becomes the main staple of propaganda. Patriotism is often not enough to make people hate, and propaganda is also necessary.[1] "So great are the psychological resistances to war in modern nations", wrote Harold Lasswell, "that every war must appear to be a war of defense against a menacing, murderous aggressor. There must be no ambiguity about who the public is to hate."[2] Human testimony is deemed unreliable even in ordinary circumstances, but in wartime,...”


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocity_propaganda
    Bolding is mine
    Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 09:47 PM.

  41. #741

    Default

    Some quite interesting follow up articles are coming out. (Everyone, it seems, is very quickly agreeing with the police conclusion on this - just one more of media’s rush to judgement it seems. It’s necessary for that in order to spread the ‘correction’ far and wide, however has the girl stated that she’d made it up or has she continued to say it happened?)

    Examples:

    Hijab-cutting incident: Experts warn of ethical issues with putting kids in media spotlight | Globalnews.ca

    https://globalnews.ca/news/3968787/h...ren-spotlight/


    An attacker did not cut her hijab, police say. But why did the TDSB let the tearful 11-year-old face the cameras? | Toronto Star

    https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ur-police.html

  42. #742
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,167

    Default

    Bizarre story

  43. #743
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    The girl should apologise.
    I would imagine she has privately, and is probably in a whole mess of trouble with her family. Publicly? Absolutely not. With the idiocy of social media, public shaming, and outright death threats it would be incredibly problematic for her identity to be revealed in a public apology.

    And after I type that, I see the Journal article where her family came forward publicly. These people are either incredibly brave or incredibly naive. I hope that they're ready for the whirlwind likely heading their way. Or I hope I'm wrong.
    I don't see where they came forward.. Better to keep playing the victim. I was so sad that she went through all this, now we find out it's a lie..

  44. #744
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L.
    I don't see where they came forward..
    How could you? It's readily apparent you don't read a single link or article provided in any thread, and just operate on your ignorant, disconnected from factual reality assumptions on just about every topic. Post #723 contained this link: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/toro...6-2de8c21d6323

    A Toronto District School Board spokesperson put the media in touch with the child’s mother, Saima Samad, who agreed to do interviews. That is how a child who was thought to be the victim of a hate crime was being interviewed about it inside her own school, identified by name, and invited by reporters to address her alleged attacker on television.“This was the decision of the family, not the TDSB,” said Ryan Bird, who is also a spokesman for the TDSB.
    Although it would appear that her identity was outed publicly BEFORE the allegations were found to be false, it was incredibly irresponsible of the parents to expose a minor to such public scrutiny even if the allegations were 100% true. Some blame probably needs to be shared with the TDSB and police for not cautioning the parents much more extensively about the implications of identifying her. As I said, her family must be incredibly naive or brave. And the media should have known better than to publish her identity as well. It seems most outlets are no longer doing so, but the internet is forever.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; Today at 12:20 PM.

  45. #745
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    How could you? It's readily apparent you don't read a single link or article provided in any thread, and just operate on your ignorant, disconnected from factual reality assumptions on just about every topic. Post #723 contained this link:
    Yo, bighead, I said I can't open many links in this forum, keep up!BTW, In any thread, are you a troll?You're an Ignorant know it all, who knows zip!
    I said she didn't come forward with an apology!!..we all know what she said when she lied to make trouble!
    Last edited by H.L.; Today at 12:46 PM.

  46. #746

    Default

    If you're not gonna keep yourself informed you might wanna drop the "well, I haven't seen anything..." schtick, since you're a willing prisoner of your own ignorance.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  47. #747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L.
    I don't see where they came forward..
    How could you? It's readily apparent you don't read a single link or article provided in any thread, and just operate on your ignorant, disconnected from factual reality assumptions on just about every topic. Post #723 contained this link: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/toro...6-2de8c21d6323

    A Toronto District School Board spokesperson put the media in touch with the child’s mother, Saima Samad, who agreed to do interviews. That is how a child who was thought to be the victim of a hate crime was being interviewed about it inside her own school, identified by name, and invited by reporters to address her alleged attacker on television.“This was the decision of the family, not the TDSB,” said Ryan Bird, who is also a spokesman for the TDSB.
    Although it would appear that her identity was outed publicly BEFORE the allegations were found to be false, it was incredibly irresponsible of the parents to expose a minor to such public scrutiny even if the allegations were 100% true. Some blame probably needs to be shared with the TDSB and police for not cautioning the parents much more extensively about the implications of identifying her. As I said, her family must be incredibly naive or brave. And the media should have known better than to publish her identity as well. It seems most outlets are no longer doing so, but the internet is forever.
    Having a wrong side of the bed day?


    I read the came forward comment as referring to the correction of the record and not the initial accusation which identified the girl. (Events there seemed to have got away from everyone involved in the manic response.) Of course I could be wrong.

    The who, what, when, where and why of the finding that it didn’t happen is very recent news and with the media show, it would be scary to correct the record.
    Last edited by KC; Today at 12:56 PM.

  48. #748
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    If you're not gonna keep yourself informed you might wanna drop the "well, I haven't seen anything..." schtick, since you're a willing prisoner of your own ignorance.
    Noodle brain, back off.

  49. #749
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L.
    I don't see where they came forward..
    How could you? It's readily apparent you don't read a single link or article provided in any thread, and just operate on your ignorant, disconnected from factual reality assumptions on just about every topic. Post #723 contained this link: http://edmontonjournal.com/news/toro...6-2de8c21d6323

    A Toronto District School Board spokesperson put the media in touch with the child’s mother, Saima Samad, who agreed to do interviews. That is how a child who was thought to be the victim of a hate crime was being interviewed about it inside her own school, identified by name, and invited by reporters to address her alleged attacker on television.“This was the decision of the family, not the TDSB,” said Ryan Bird, who is also a spokesman for the TDSB.
    Although it would appear that her identity was outed publicly BEFORE the allegations were found to be false, it was incredibly irresponsible of the parents to expose a minor to such public scrutiny even if the allegations were 100% true. Some blame probably needs to be shared with the TDSB and police for not cautioning the parents much more extensively about the implications of identifying her. As I said, her family must be incredibly naive or brave. And the media should have known better than to publish her identity as well. It seems most outlets are no longer doing so, but the internet is forever.
    Having a wrong side of the bed day?


    I read the came forward comment as referring to the correction of the record and not the initial accusation which identified the girl. (Events there seemed to have got away from everyone involved in the manic response.) Of course I could be wrong.

    The who, what, when, where and why of the finding that it didn’t happen is very recent news and with the media show, it would be scary to correct the record.
    As did I..

  50. #750

    Default

    Just as a comment the school should not have allowed the reporters inside the school or been the venue in which the information from the family was divulged. it is quite clear from citations that the school was not divulging anything to the media, that it was up to the family to do that if they wanted to. However the school became the venue for this which was not conducive to the school operation, to this family, or the students benefit. I'm quite surprised this media scrum was allowed to transpire inside the school with its circus of distraction and of course every student in the family knowing by now who the girl in question was.
    More reason why any divulging of such attack should occur to the police, in confidential quarters, and not in a public facility.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •