Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

I'd rather C2E than work!

People like Saddam and Ghaddaffi should have been left in power. They could control their population. Look at the mess there is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    People like Saddam and Ghaddaffi should have been left in power. They could control their population. Look at the mess there is now.
    I agree with this, obviously, but it's a small point.

Were you angry when people gloated after they were snuffed? Did you denounce the snuffing AND the gloating?

If you did not then, please say nothing now.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 01-06-2017 at 09:05 PM.

No, I knew they were making a mistake. Then repeated it in Libya. They've done a lot of stupid things over there in the last half century for sure.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 01-06-2017 at 09:08 PM.

But you kept silent when people gloated? Not about the utility or whatnot of the executions, but about the gloating and the general happiness?

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Saddam, Khaddafi, and the rest, should perhaps have been tried, convicted and jailed.

Not killed. I didn't celebrate their deaths.

I am not a believer in the death penalty.
    Were you offended when Saddam and Ghaddafi were snuffed amid general gloating?

Or did you just mildly regret it, if that?

If you were not equally offended then, please say nothing now.
    There's a very, very broad matrix of different feelings, sensations, reasonings etc between being offended, being indifferent, gloating or whatever.

If you did not condemn it then, shut the **** up now.l That's all.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Saddam, Khaddafi, and the rest, should perhaps have been tried, convicted and jailed.

I was equally offended then.

If you did not condemn it then, shut the **** up now.l That's all.
    Condemn what - exactly?

But you kept silent when people gloated? Not about the utility or whatnot of the executions, but about the gloating and the general happiness?
    You'll have to bring forward all your condemnations for each of the world's atrocities to build a case for yourself in my eyes.

^To add that blanket serial generalization and condemnation of literally anything, and any expressed opinion isn't much either. As per the modeling would appear more to be an endless string of one offs without backing substance. Or in short blowing hard without doing anything about one's convictions..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Bad comparison, I don't recall either Saddam or Ghaddafi coming to power in free elections and maintaining power by winning subsequent free elections. They lived by the sword and died by it.

Part of the reason of having democratic elections is to avoid that sort of thing.

Saw Kathy Griffin and her lawyer now blaming Trump and his family for the backlash she received for the severed head photo. She blamed "white men" and is crying about how Trump drove her to that and has ruined her life

This is actually a pretty good microcosm for how the election went for Hillary Clinton - make some awful choices and comments, lose, then blame everyone and everything but your own actions for people not liking you.

Apparently Kathy Lee Griffin is bleating that the Trumps are starting to bully her about her stunt with the severed head. The gall. Apparently she is supposed to be making a statement sometime today. Hopefully she does not turn it around that she is the victim in all this. That will not go down well.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Saw Kathy Griffin and her lawyer now blaming Trump and his family for the backlash she received for the severed head photo. She blamed "white men" and is crying about how Trump drove her to that and has ruined her life

This is actually a pretty good microcosm for how the election went for Hillary Clinton - make some awful choices and comments, lose, then blame everyone and everything but your own actions for people not liking you.
    Well if we want to talk about people acknowledging their own stupid mistakes - what about Trump's claim for the largest inauguration crowd ever and his claim that his wires had been tapped?

Unless you are blind or willfully ignorant you should be able to see there is a lot of stupidity out there there days and it isn't all by Hillary or Kathy Griffin by far. Do you acknowledge any of that?

Oh she was laughing, fake crying. Kathy you aren't funny, even less so now. CNN fired your @ss long before anything was said by Trump. She is playing the victim ,but not well.

You wanted to be edgy, well people get edgy right back!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Yup, you cannot have it both ways - if you are trying to do something shocking and edgy, don't complain when you receive a shocked reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    what about Trump's claim for the largest inauguration crowd ever and his claim that his wires had been tapped?
    What about it?

Yup, you cannot have it both ways - if you are trying to do something shocking and edgy, don't complain when you receive a shocked reaction.
    The backlash to playing the victim is pretty bad. She has the right to speak, I just wish she would stop speaking, she is sounding stupid

what about Trump's claim for the largest inauguration crowd ever and his claim that his wires had been tapped?
    What about it?
    They were examples of stupid things he said. You are always ok when Trump does or says something stupid, but eager to condemn others when they are stupid.

You are always ok when Trump does or says something stupid, but eager to condemn others when they are stupid.
    Ah.

Well, all people are going to do and say stupid things from time to time, but what always grinds my gears is the hypocrisy.

When someone attacks another person then cries "victim" when it comes back to bite them (and also try to claim the moral high ground while defending their ignorant actions), I have a big issue with that.

I think there is a saying in comedy - if you have to explain the joke, it isn't funny.

Anyways, it bombed and the audience is throwing tomatoes at her. Apologize, leave the stage, learn from the experience, shut up and move on.

She is not helping herself by playing the victim here - she is just proving that she doesn't really get it. No one forced her to put the picture up that she did. It was her mistake, not anyone else's.

Again, Kathy apologize, shut up and move on.

Particularly bad decision because Trump is known for trying to ruin his adversaries. Why would she not expect him to now use every lever of power at his disposal to start to destroy anyone that gets in his way? It's a method that has worked for those at the top for thousands of years. The simple nature of some humans.

I expect we'll see a lot more of the age old "take no prisoners" approach to silencing critics. It seems to me that he's never seen modern tolerant society or even capitalism itself as systems where you want everyone on a level playing field. Less serious members of society want losers to be able to get back into the game, etc.

Instead it seems that Trump sees life as the family in a state of war against everyone else. Capitalism is a just another system to be gamed in the pursuit of wealth. Democracy a system to be gamed in the pursuit of power. So my guess is that one term won't be enough. It won't be a matter of deciding if a second term would be fulfilling - that's not the point - it will automatically be assumed that if two terms are available, two terms must be taken. Then I wouldn't be surprised if he'll try to take more for himself or the family. (From the beginning of humanity there were people that grabbed all the power for their families and keep it for hundreds of years. They do this by regularly flexing their muscle and quashing any and all opposition.) Griffin just handed Trump an opportunity to practice despotism.
    Last edited by KC; 02-06-2017 at 04:10 PM.

You are always ok when Trump does or says something stupid, but eager to condemn others when they are stupid.
    Ah.

Well, all people are going to do and say stupid things from time to time, but what always grinds my gears is the hypocrisy.

When someone attacks another person then cries "victim" when it comes back to bite them (and also try to claim the moral high ground while defending their ignorant actions), I have a big issue with that.
    Yes, anyone can say something stupid, but when it becomes obvious they should not double down on it - whether they explicitly claim to be the victim or not.

Ah.

Yes, anyone can say something stupid, but when it becomes obvious they should not double down on it - whether they explicitly claim to be the victim or not.
    Maybe in theory.

In reality Trump himself is a case in point of doubling down. The old: all or none, deny, deny, deny or never admit to guilt or error. Look at Trump's own pronouncements of his victimization. They work!

Look at all our perceived societal rules of decent behaviour that Trump broke during his campaigning. It worked! Nice guys finished last.

Griffin might as well play that game because it sounds like Trump is escalating the battle already.
    Last edited by KC; 02-06-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Particularly bad decision because Trump is known for trying to ruin his adversaries. Why would she not expect him to now use every lever of power at his disposal to start to destroy anyone that gets in his way? It's a method that has worked for those at the top for thousands of years. The simple nature of some humans.

I expect we'll see a lot more of the age old "take no prisoners" approach to silencing critics. It seems to me that he's never seen modern tolerant society or even capitalism itself as systems where you want everyone on a level playing field. Less serious members of society want losers to be able to get back into the game, etc.

Instead it seems that Trump sees life as the family in a state of war against everyone else. Capitalism is a just another system to be gamed in the pursuit of wealth. Democracy a system to be gamed in the pursuit of power. So my guess is that one term won't be enough. It won't be a matter of deciding if a second term would be fulfilling - that's not the point - it will automatically be assumed that if two terms are available, two terms must be taken. Then I wouldn't be surprised if he'll try to take more for himself or the family. (From the beginning of humanity there were people that grabbed all the power for their families and keep it for hundreds of years. They do this by regularly flexing their muscle and quashing any and all opposition.) Griffin just handed Trump an opportunity to practice despotism.

Has one term been enough for any of the past presidents in your lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post

Has one term been enough for any of the past presidents in your lifetime?
    That observation should be enlightening. Hence the founders of democracies knew the nature of those seeking the highest office. Now look at Trump and his attempts to entrench family members in critical positions. I'm not sure if that was ever very common but to me it's taking the control of power to a level more commonly seen among failed democracies.

I think there is a saying in comedy - if you have to explain the joke, it isn't funny.

Anyways, it bombed and the audience is throwing tomatoes at her. Apologize, leave the stage, learn from the experience, shut up and move on.

She is not helping herself by playing the victim here - she is just proving that she doesn't really get it. No one forced her to put the picture up that she did. It was her mistake, not anyone else's.

What Griffin is now saying is that Trump and family are over reacting to her dumb over reaction. If we all look at it from a personal angle and imagine Griffin was holding a severed head of our dad/mother/son/daughter/uncle/ etc I am sure we would be appalled. Who would want to see a picture of their loved ones with limbs blown off or their head severed. There are some things in life that if you see them you cannot un-see them. In as much as she hates Trump his family did not need to see that neither did the rest of the public.

What about it?
    They were examples of stupid things he said. You are always ok when Trump does or says something stupid, but eager to condemn others when they are stupid.
    The condemnation of Kathy Griffin is not because she is stupid. Were that the case it would have occurred decades ago. The condemnation results from her having her picture taken with a bloodied decapitated mask of the President. Really the level of inanity involved in anybody thinking that was going to be an OK message is off the charts. How absolutely warped does a person have to be to engage in that? That's what the condemnation is about. As one cartoon perfectly depicts in that one act she really sliced off the head of her career. About the best thing she could probably do at this point is say that she's been higher than a kite for years, has no recollection of anything, and is going to rehab...
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Reality is you can't really move on as a public figure after pulling something like this. You gotta kind of just disappear after apologizing or explaining and at best it goes away. But this won't because of the depiction, The vile depiction, and how absolutely inappropriate and disgusting it is for a public figure, someone earning their living by being a public figure, engaging in this. Pay attention to CNN's reaction. She is completely toxic now, gone radioactive. nobody will touch her. She's done. Maybe in 10yrs she can have something going. I doubt it. Her relative fame was hard to describe in the first place. Now her fame is established in one of the worst ways.

Capitalism is a level playing field..?

I think it was Nixon who said of Watergate - I gave the knife to my opponents and they stuck it in with relish. She shouldn't be surprised that Trump is doing exactly that to her right now. In this case he can legitimately claim to be the victim. I don't think anyone would be happy to have her do to them, what she did to him.

However, if I were her I wouldn't worry too much. Trump's attention span is notoriously short, as is the media's. Someone else will do something stupid and the attention will turn away from her. Of course that would happen quicker and people would be more forgiving if she just shut up. Anyways, her 15 minutes of infamy will soon be up.

Besides, she will just be one more name on Trumps long list of enemies and I am not sure he always holds a grudge, except maybe against Rosie O'Donnel. One week he refers to someone as "terrible" and the next week they can be "great'. He seems to have gotten over his Mexican wall spat with the Pope quite well. Maybe he has forgiven the Pope or perhaps realized that is one feud he isn't likely to win.

Student commits suicide after University wrongfully punishes him over an alleged gay slur:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/arli...ished-gay-slur

I think this is an unintended consequence of policing speech that nobody saw coming.

Clueless Black Lives Matter activist thinks 'Planet of the Apes' is racist: http://www.dailywire.com/news/18494/...e-hank-berrien

Clueless Black Lives Matter activist thinks 'Planet of the Apes' is racist: http://www.dailywire.com/news/18494/...e-hank-berrien

Oh dear..LOL

Sometimes you gotta wonder if half the U S A population have lost their minds and the other half are Trump supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Sometimes you gotta wonder if half the U S A population have lost their minds and the other half are Trump supporters.
    BLM took their place in the TO pride parade, and said no to the police attending, who always attended. Special interest groups( again)

That's why I oppose granting privileges to groups as opposed to individuals. Individual rights need to supercede group rights. Group rights create conflict and generate animosity.

That's why I oppose granting privileges to groups as opposed to individuals. Individual rights need to supercede group rights. Group rights create conflict and generate animosity.
    Too late. Not something I've thought about before but a lot of our Rights seem to initially stem from the wants and needs of large groups, organizations and the powerful like religions and not individuals at the serf or commoner level.

Also, weren't the treaties primarily between chiefs and the queen's reps. (top down decision making and providing rights and obligations based on group characteristics and perpetuating into the future to unborn people). Also, language and other rights were set based on two large groups of people, while ignoring other large groups of speakers of other languages.

We're basically very tribal and so we variously lump individuals into this or that arbitrary category or "side". (French traders, pioneers, settlers vs English traders, pioneers, settlers). So if we start with perceptions of people as first belonging to a group and only secondarily being a unique complicated individual we won't treat them as deserving of rights and privileges accident to their individual needs but instead according to some commonality (the lowest common denominator).
    Last edited by KC; 13-07-2017 at 08:00 AM.

^ Absolutely, that is the case.

And in your examples a lot of suffering and strife has been the result. I very strongly support individual rights and freedoms over group rights and freedoms. Having different rights according to the "group" one belongs to is ultimately damaging to a society (especially if you cannot choose the "group" you want to be a part of).

Member of Seattle's city council argues that spraying feces off the sidewalks is "racist":

"Councilmember Larry Gossett said he didn’t like the idea of power-washing the sidewalks because it brought back images of the use of hoses against civil-rights activists"

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...se-in-seattle/

Member of Seattle's city council argues that spraying feces off the sidewalks is "racist":

"Councilmember Larry Gossett said he didn’t like the idea of power-washing the sidewalks because it brought back images of the use of hoses against civil-rights activists"

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...se-in-seattle/
    Post the entire quote:

"Some committee members expressed concern about addressing the symptoms of the area’s problems without getting to the cause. Councilmember Larry Gossett said he didn’t like the idea of power-washing the sidewalks because it brought back images of the use of hoses against civil-rights activists"
    And read the rest of the article. You're cherry picking comments from a much bigger issue. Why?

edit: Seriously. Why are you posting this in this thread? The council member is saying, let's address the problem, instead of just washing away the evidence every day, in a way we used to with the civil-rights movement.
    Last edited by Channing; 13-07-2017 at 01:01 PM.

The New York Times op-ed argues that hearing speech you don't like is a form of "violence".

http://archive.is/PCYgV

Hahahahahaha!

Its quite depressing how deluded the article is and this occurring in the NY Times. Some of the passages are incredible leaps of logic, for instance;

"The scientific findings I described above provide empirical guidance for which kinds of controversial speech should and shouldn’t be acceptable on campus and in civil society. In short, the answer depends on whether the speech is abusive or merely offensive."

or

"That’s why it’s reasonable, scientifically speaking, not to allow a provocateur and hatemonger like Milo Yiannopoulos to speak at your school. He is part of something noxious, a campaign of abuse. There is nothing to be gained from debating him, for debate is not what he is offering.
    On the other hand, when the political scientist Charles Murray argues that genetic factors help account for racial disparities in I.Q. scores, you might find his view to be repugnant and misguided, but it’s only offensive. It is offered as a scholarly hypothesis to be debated, not thrown like a grenade."

I'm left wondering how the author felt that her casual citation of how the bodies cells are impacted by stress results in her identifying which speakers, or alleged nature of speech should be allowed on the basis of how the body is allegedly impacted.

I can't even laugh at this. Because this article is not a microcosm, it fairly defines the illogic of a younger generation that seeks to stamp out free expression and at every campus and nation in the "free" world because "oh, I'm harmed by this".
    The degree to which article tries to flesh out what should and should not be allowed, and attempts to pin its rationale on science, is shockingly depressing.

Relatedly, the entire class refusing to engage in a debate because nobody was willing to take on the less flattering position is symbolic of the whole whitewashing of free speech. The students can't even accept the central tenet of debate, the ability to defend your position, and an opposing position, which is an essence of fluid thought. They can't even do that, in a classroom. Apparently they're left debating the relative merit of cheerios vs fruit loops albeit most of the class found the names offensive and argued about that instead..Fruit loops are hateful after all..
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-07-2017 at 11:00 AM.

^ The article wasn't actually too bad besides the attempts at real-world application. The research she cites in the rest of the piece doesn't support her conclusion about milo at all, and her defense of trigger warnings was off base- her justification may apply to, say, depictions of graphic violence "triggering" flashbacks and PTSD symptoms in survivors of severe abuse, but non of that applies to the trigger warnings and safe spaces that have earned ridicule for 'protecting' identityists from hearing criticism or even dissenting opinions.

She recognises a difference between abuse and offense and then fails miserably at identifying where the line lies.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^ The article wasn't actually too bad besides the attempts at real-world application. The research she cites in the rest of the piece doesn't support her conclusion about milo at all, and her defense of trigger warnings was off base- her justification may apply to, say, depictions of graphic violence "triggering" flashbacks and PTSD symptoms in survivors of severe abuse, but non of that applies to the trigger warnings and safe spaces that have earned ridicule for 'protecting' identityists from hearing criticism or even dissenting opinions.

She recognises a difference between abuse and offense and then fails miserably at identifying where the line lies.
    The attempts at real world justifications on the basis of unsubstantiated evidence and calling it scientific rationale is what made the article awful. Unfortunately similar thinking makes a lot of Universities awful in present day. I'm left thinking how much less I would learn in present day Universities where Science, in a lot of faculties, has become a co-opted pursuit.

The most depressing thing is this is written by a current Psych professor. If she is this deluded I feel for the students learning this new "Science".

Unfortunately the article is a glimpse of the present and future. It really does spell out the deluded attempts to equate speech, and the presence of speakers, with actual harm.

The really depressing thing in the article is the debate story. Where students refused to debate and that this refusal was condoned. Really its the rejection of education and encompassing thought. "We won't do it, it harms us"

Nobody caught that?

That's failure in education from the word go. Being able to debate any position is an integral part of developing fluid thinking and rationale. The ability to present information, to be convincing, is learned by adopting premises that are challenging. This is what teaches one to be open minded, to see different positions in an argument, to consider them, and to be able to flesh them out.

We're failing these students.

'Offensive and disgraceful': Protesters cheer as City of Halifax shrouds Cornwallis statue
    Mayor Mike Savage says veil is a temporary measure, will be removed after demonstration
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...oval-1.4206909

Cornwallis, a governor of Nova Scotia, was a military officer who founded Halifax for the British in 1749. The same year, he issued the so-called scalping proclamation, offering a cash bounty to anyone who killed a Mi'kmaq person.
    Patrick LeBlanc, an Indigenous man from Digby, N.S., said the statue is a painful reminder of the oppression of First Nations people in Canada.

"This gentleman here represented a genocide for our people," LeBlanc said. "And to see it every day, it just brings back memories and it also brings back pain."

Sign of reconciliation

LeBlanc said simply covering the statue isn't enough. He would like to see it replaced with something that will give restitution and healing.

Maryanne Junta of Eskasoni First Nation said seeing the statue hidden by the cloth was "enough for now. But it will be torn down."

The 16-year-old said the monument of Cornwallis is "equivalent to putting a statue of Hitler in the city of the Jewish."
    IMHO, removing the statue of Cornwallis is an effort in rewriting history, erasing a historic figure contrary to counterclaims made by other historians.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Cornwallis

In my view, I think that the public consultation process and a recognition of all aspects of the historical record of Cornwallis is a important lesson of both good and bad effects of colonialism. I suggest that a memorial to the Mi'kmaq people should be prominently be built and the dual stories of the struggles and history should be juxtaposed as a teachable historic visitation site.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^^that bit was followed by the author and a fellow professor showing the students how it can be done. That's what should be done, and I suppose that in that debate a "calling out" of her students was implied- although that she felt it important enough to mention that the other professor was African American hints that she is still infected by the same absurd ideas as her students who refused the debate.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    ^^that bit was followed by the author and a fellow professor showing the students how it can be done. That's what should be done, and I suppose that in that debate a "calling out" of her students was implied- although that she felt it important enough to mention that the other professor was African American hints that she is still infected by the same absurd ideas as her students who refused the debate.
    Thanks for responding. I did consider that they attempted to model a debate but to me that was a failed gesture, and left the kids off the hook. When I was in University participating in debate was not an option, it was a requirement in classes. Without which you would not get a grade in that class. It was compulsory. At the time I had a fear of public speaking and speaking in front of the class was a phobia to me with all the usual fear involved but I was made to do it, and I was better for it.

Education needs to challenge in that way, sometimes it needs to be stressful, even disturbing.

I feel like the professor offered an out to the students, and in effect accepted their terms as soon as she opted for the modeled debate. She also accepted their responsibility. In effect she performed the debate, the class work, INSTEAD of the students who it isn't clear were ever made to perform the debate. From reading it it seems as if they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    'Offensive and disgraceful': Protesters cheer as City of Halifax shrouds Cornwallis statue
    Mayor Mike Savage says veil is a temporary measure, will be removed after demonstration
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...oval-1.4206909

Cornwallis, a governor of Nova Scotia, was a military officer who founded Halifax for the British in 1749. The same year, he issued the so-called scalping proclamation, offering a cash bounty to anyone who killed a Mi'kmaq person.
    Patrick LeBlanc, an Indigenous man from Digby, N.S., said the statue is a painful reminder of the oppression of First Nations people in Canada.

"This gentleman here represented a genocide for our people," LeBlanc said. "And to see it every day, it just brings back memories and it also brings back pain."

Sign of reconciliation

LeBlanc said simply covering the statue isn't enough. He would like to see it replaced with something that will give restitution and healing.

Maryanne Junta of Eskasoni First Nation said seeing the statue hidden by the cloth was "enough for now. But it will be torn down."

The 16-year-old said the monument of Cornwallis is "equivalent to putting a statue of Hitler in the city of the Jewish."
    IMHO, removing the statue of Cornwallis is an effort in rewriting history, erasing a historic figure contrary to counterclaims made by other historians.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Cornwallis

In my view, I think that the public consultation process and a recognition of all aspects of the historical record of Cornwallis is a important lesson of both good and bad effects of colonialism. I suggest that a memorial to the Mi'kmaq people should be prominently be built and the dual stories of the struggles and history should be juxtaposed as a teachable historic visitation site.
    Pretty much agreed. There is a teaching moment here. But it is right to call out the statue and what it signifies and that left as is it represents an imbalance in thought. What it signifies is seen as barbaric, evil, genocide now, but it wasn't done and genocide of First Nations peoples was much more common in Atlantic Canada at the time.

Being offended at the statue is understandable. But having some counter work of arts that tell the complete story would be a potential solution. Its important for us to understand, to recognize, that genocide, that assimilation, that imperialistic wiping out indigenous nations and cultures was a sad part of our history. Its important not to forget that.

^ I agree, with reservations, on the Cornwallis issue. The guy's policies were genocidal, and you can debate colonialism until the cows come home, but his policies were made in the context of an ongoing war where both sides were guilty.

I have no problem with adding additional plaques to the memorial recognising his negative actions. In some cases where a memorial was built as provocation I can sympathize with removal, otherwise modifying a memorial or statue would be far more appropriate.
    There can only be one.

Let's get the ball rolling, folks!

Ontario teachers union wants John A. Macdonald's name stripped from schools

The union representing Ontarios public elementary school teachers wants the name of Canada's first prime minister to be removed from schools in the province.

The Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario passed a motion at its annual meeting last week calling on all school districts in Ontario to rename schools and buildings named after Sir John A. Macdonald.

The union says it wants the name change because of what it calls Macdonalds role as the architect of genocide against Indigenous Peoples.
    ¯
    Macdonald was prime minister during the time the federal government approved the first residential schools in the country.

The ETFO's call comes after a student-led campaign at Toronto's Ryerson University last month pushed for the school to change its name out of respect for residential school survivors.

And in June, the name of founding father Hector-Louis Langevin was stripped from the building that houses the Prime Ministers Office on Parliament Hill. Langevin argued for a separate school system with a specific mandate to assimilate Indigenous children.

In Calgary, city council this year voted 14-1 to strip Langevins name from a bridge connecting East Village with Bridgeland, calling it Reconciliation Bridge instead.

Calgary also has a junior high school that bears the name of Sir John A. Macdonald, located in Huntington Hills.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/ontar...581/story.html
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

It was a slippery slope and is now just a freefall.

I'm thinking we should just start calling schools Sponge Bob Junior High or Batman High School. Then again I'm sure someone will find offence in that.
    History is just that, history. Cant change it but we don't have to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I'm thinking we should just start calling schools Sponge Bob Junior High or Batman High School. Then again I'm sure someone will find offence in that.
    History is just that, history. Cant change it but we don't have to repeat it.
    Grandin station ... named for the residential area, in turn named after Bishop Vital Grandin, a polarizing figure in the Indigenous community. With murals of him deep in the namesake LRT station there was a call to take them down.

Instead, working with Edmonton's indigenous community, a series of murals celebrating indigenous culture were placed on the opposite side.

You don't need to destroy and ignore history- you need give it proper context.
    ... gobsmacked

Theatre in Memphis pulls 'racially insensitive' Gone With the Wind
    Orpheum Theatre ditches 34-year-old tradition of screening classic film after customers complained:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-with-the-wind

One of the first things that succumbs to fascism is art.

Orpheum Theatre ditches 34-year-old tradition of screening classic film after customers complained:

Yeah. Can likely thank the violence created by white supremacists and the counter protesters.

Unfortunately, the reality is that violence and death is often what it takes to bring about change.

Batterson told the Memphis Commercial Appeal that a “social media storm” played a role in the decision to pull the film. However, following the move, the Orpheum’s Facebook page was inundated with angry posts.

Michael Bly wrote: “We cannot rewrite nor erase films, art or novels of the past. In order to move past we must understand the times in which art was made and those who made it. We are a nation that is constantly growing but to deny showing this as a victory of ‘not-offending’ in a ‘free society’ is absolutely irresponsible.”

But some people on the page supported the move to stop screening the film.

Erin Maher posted: “Agree with this decision. This is no time to be romanticizing the Confederacy and slave-owners. People who want to watch it can still watch it. They’re not burning the only print.”

Last edited by KC; 29-08-2017 at 09:43 AM.

What's next ?

William Inge's ' Splendor in the Azz ' ?

Not covering the shortcomings of historical figures is just as much rewriting history as removing all references to the confederacy would be. However, nobody is suggesting the the confederacy be excised from history. Instead, we are calling for the removal of statues and monuments that memorialize it, gloss over the aspect that slavery played in the civil war and in other ways, make it seem like it's just as valid a viewpoint as the opposition to slavery is.

Frank Oliver, John A. MacDonald, Edward Cornwallis and the rest of the Canadian historical figures have had their history whitewashed for centuries. When this is pointed out, those on the right start screaming about how "They were a product of their time". Well, Hitler was also a product of his time and I don't see people rushing to name schools, put up statues and the like for him.

At the very least, the whole, unvarnished history of those that we memorialize must be part of the narrative.

This has nothing to do with fascism, which is a system of authoritarian government. The theater pulled the film because of complaints from the private sector, ie. their own customers. Isn't that how conservatives are always telling us the capitalist system is supposed to work?

Personally, I wouldn't want to end all screenings of GWTW, as it is an important piece of film history. But that's what the theatre decided to do, and they were well within their rights to do that. If you want to watch it, you can always download it from the net.

I wonder how he would feel if the government demanded that all theatres must show GWTW?

What about Triumph of the Will? Birth of a Nation?

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Not covering the shortcomings of historical figures is just as much rewriting history as removing all references to the confederacy would be. However, nobody is suggesting the the confederacy be excised from history. Instead, we are calling for the removal of statues and monuments that memorialize it, gloss over the aspect that slavery played in the civil war and in other ways, make it seem like it's just as valid a viewpoint as the opposition to slavery is.

Frank Oliver, John A. MacDonald, Edward Cornwallis and the rest of the Canadian historical figures have had their history whitewashed for centuries. When this is pointed out, those on the right start screaming about how "They were a product of their time". Well, Hitler was also a product of his time and I don't see people rushing to name schools, put up statues and the like for him.

At the very least, the whole, unvarnished history of those that we memorialize must be part of the narrative.
    I don't disagree with some of your points. Yes, I think most Canadians would agree that historical figures should not be whitewashed. However, that is actually a separate issues from removing references and I think they are linked only in the minds of a few.

I also don't think most Canadians would equate our historical leaders to the leaders of the confederacy or the others you have mentioned here.

In the US a lot of those statues and monuments were erected, not shortly after the civil war by in the early to mid 20th century. This was often done by people with a political agenda - segregationists, who I suppose were the 20th century successors to the proponents of slavery. This certainly weakens the arguments about the historical nature of these monuments. Also Jefferson Davies was never the President of the US and Robert Lee was best known for his battles against the US. Perhaps they are heroes to some in the US, but the are not US national heroes, like say Washington. Again, the situation in Canada is different, we have no equivalent of Jefferson Davies.

The debate and discussion happening regarding the confederate monuments the US is interesting and thought provoking, but our history is quite different than their and so I don't think it makes sense to just try copy it here.

I wonder how he would feel if the government demanded that all theatres must show GWTW?

That makes no sense - unless it's a communist country or a dictatorship, nobody's going to support the government FORCING theaters the show certain movies.

That makes no sense - unless it's a communist country or a dictatorship, nobody's going to support the government FORCING theaters the show certain movies.
    I think what kkooriz meant was that if you think it's an outrage that theaters are voluntarily choosing not to show a particular movie, the only way to remedy that situation is for the government to force them to show it. But this would entail a degree of intrusion into private decision-making that most people would be unwilling to accept.

See this is a great example of compromise.

Halloween store pulls "tasteless" Anne Frank costume from stores after seeing complaints by whiners online:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/16...-frank-costume

Halloween store pulls "tasteless" Anne Frank costume from stores after seeing complaints by whiners online:

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/16...-frank-costume
    Excerpt:

“There are better ways to commemorate Anne Frank. This is not one,” Carlos Galindo-Elvira, Arizona regional director of the Anti-Defamation League, tweeted. “We should not trivialize her memory as a costume.”

Interesting. It’s like school dress codes I suppose - one’s perception or bias of what Halloween costumes represent is still colouring people’s perceptions of what is appropriate.

Aren’t there Abraham Lincoln and other such costumes worn?

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...s-janitor.html

“My son woke up in the middle of the night, and asked me ‘will the corn pops be okay?’” read another. “I didn’t have an answer.”

It gets better every day.

^Reactions aside, having a single dark coloured corn pop janitor is phenomenally dumb.
    There can only be one.

Agreed, and agree with the complainent, tis a small thing, but why would the designer have done that?!?

Believe me, these sorts of things are usually vetted to the nth degree and that no one in that process thought, "well that's just asking for trouble...."
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Agreed, and agree with the complainent, tis a small thing, but why would the designer have done that?!?

Believe me, these sorts of things are usually vetted to the nth degree and that no one in that process thought, "well that's just asking for trouble...."

So is this correct? The only one there working and being a productive member of corn pop society is brown and all the rest just took like a bunch of goof balls or gawkers.

BTW

I once worked as a janitor and all the staff were white "corn pops". However, a few years later when I bought my house, my neighbour owned a janitorial business and he was 'brown'. So from my direct experience, janitorial business owners are brown corn pops and the workers are white corn pops.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post

Agree, these ad agents usually vet these ads before putting them out for general release. Most companies it's all about image etc. People eating that cereal and looking at that picture will be subconsciously taking in what's on the picture. The picture is not necessarily offensive it's just not a balanced picture of depicting life in general. Corn pops or not.

Last year the Red Cross got called out for something similar.

While visiting a pool in Salida, Colorado, a woman named Margaret Sawyer noticed a Red Cross pool safety poster showcasing diverse swimmers. But she observed one catch: Only white people displayed “cool” behavior and almost everyone behaving in ways that were “not cool” were people of color.

https://www.vox.com/2016/6/30/120527...-swimming-pool

Top_Dawg doesn't get it.

What's the kid with the gaping pie hole in the middle of the pool doing that makes him ' not cool '.

^he's not white. So he's probably a terrorist. That's not cool. He probably said "God is great" in a language some alt-righters won't tolerate.

Don't think so Medwards.

Probly more like he's unleashing a big hot pi$$ in the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Don't think so Medwards.

Probly more like he's unleashing a big hot pi$$ in the pool.
    Maybe he's really dropping the cosby kids off at the pool!

Not our country but interesting as it would seem that she was somewhat politically incorrect in her presentation.

Maybe we need a Cultural Differences thread for this stuff.

Egyptian TV presenter sentenced over pregnancy remarks

An Egyptian TV presenter has been sentenced to three years in jail after she discussed ways of becoming pregnant outside a conventional marriage.

Doaa Salah, a presenter on Al-Nahar TV, asked if her viewers had considered having sex before marriage, and also suggested a woman could marry briefly to have children before divorcing.

She was charged and convicted with outraging public decency.

The authorities said the ideas in the programme "threatened the fabric of Egyptian life", the EFE news agency reports.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41849838

And I also see an interesting one from last year:

Egypt state TV orders female hosts to lose weight
    excerpt:
    "The Egyptian Radio and Television Union (ERTU) has given the women one month to slim down before they can appear on air again with an "appropriate appearance", "
    http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-f...where-37100676
    Last edited by KC; 02-11-2017 at 02:48 PM.

"and also suggested a woman could marry briefly to have children before divorcing."

hahaha. Translation: Stick thy head up thy arse when it comes to sanctioned female manipulation! One day all you western cucks will 'get it'. LOL

4chan prank telling people to post sheets of paper that say "It's okay to be white" triggers far-leftists and media all over the world:

https://squawker.org/culture-wars/4chaniotbw/

Some people are even calling police over it.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...f-2088a09db901

Uh-oh spaghetti-os.

Here we go round the mulberry bush.

Try talking about the bombers at an airport. They better change their name.

While we are at it, maybe win a pig needs to do something about its name too. Animal rights people might be offended by it's long and shameful history of objectifying and treating pigs like a commodity and celebrating this. Not to mention, it's confusing having win a pig and hog town in the same country.

I'd be cool with the Eskimos changing their name. With the trend toward uncountable nouns these days, I'd recommend "Edmonton Tundra", to keep up the Nordic theme. Though I guess we're way too far south for genuine tundra.

Edmonton "on the cusp of" boreal work?

Never much liked the name, though admittedly not because I found it racist - more than it promoted a negative stereotype of Edmonton (bitterly cold).

Be interesting to see what options there could be - upside, all those newname jersey's they can sell!

Maybe, as the original Eskie uniforms were donated by the U of A Golden Bears - Grizzlies? I think there used to be a YVR b/ball team by that name.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I'd be cool with the Eskimos changing their name. With the trend toward uncountable nouns these days, I'd recommend "Edmonton Tundra", to keep up the Nordic theme. Though I guess we're way too far south for genuine tundra.
    I can just see it, the Edmonton Tundra sponsored by Toyota, probably some corporate naming rights fees in there for someone to pay.

Just a thought, but maybe to dispel the myth that we are a sub arctic outpost we should go with a name that doesn't make us seem much further north than we are.

Personally, I think with the way the world loves acronyms stripped as devoid as possible of any meaning these days (UA, AB, RBC, etc..), we could just make it EE and the E can stand for anything you want it to, a la K Days.

One word from Winnipeg's mayor, and our mayor is in a flap. Effin *****, leave the esks alone!!!!!!!

Yes, let's go with that!

The world is full of snowflakes.
    You could go just about anywhere in the U.K. and find pubs with strange names. I suppose the faint hearted would be offended.

http://thechive.com/2016/05/13/some-...-at-19-photos/

C2E Continued Contributor

As a Caucasian, how about Edmonton Crackers?

Really stupid to change the name IMHO.

If they change it, here are some suggestions

Edmonton MIT
    , Men in Tights
    Oops, offended members of the Edmonton Ballet Society
    Oops, feminists decry exclusion of women in football
    How about corporate team names?

Edmonton Value Villagers

Edmonton Dollaramas

Edmonton Northlanders

Edmonton Gene Dubs

Edmonton Holes

Edmonton Ikeas

Edmonton Amazons

Oops, offended Brazillions

And the winner is!

Edmonton EPCORs

Ticket Price - $25.00
    Gold Seat Surcharge - $44.40

Usage Fees

1st Qtr 15 minutes at $0.95/min = $14.25
    2nd Qtr 15 minutes at $1.35/min = $20.25
    3rd Qtr 15 minutes at $1.78/min = $26.70
    4th Qtr 15 minutes at $3.27/min = $49.05
    Passing Charge $7.65
    Rushing Charge $3.21
    Defence Charge $6.82
    Kicking Rider $1.02

Additional Charges and Fees

Jumbotron Access Fee $4.50
    Halftime Entertainment Fee $12.66
    Beer Access Fee $0.36
    Bathroom Access Fee $17.54
    Sewage Fee $3.54
    Water Fountain Fee $0.11
    Sanitation and Seat Cleaning Surcharge $3.89
    Stadium Improvement Fund $2.67
    Community Revitalization Levy $3.13

Paper Billing Charge $1.12
    GST $19.97
    Your ticket Price $419.15

And it’s wrong to call the people of the north Inuit too. Maybe we should all just start calling the peoples of the north by the names they use for themselves and Eskimo will become a just a name to the average person.

The team itself could put information on its website and hand out at games across the country a series of brochures with maps, etc. Explaining how Eskimo isn’t an acceptable term and containing the proper naming, regions, history, etc. of the northern people’s and that could do more to in terms of spreading knowledge and awareness than any name change could ever do. Maybe number the brochures and have contests over years to encourage people to keep or circulate the brochures. Collect them all and get something in return, etc.
    Last edited by KC; 10-11-2017 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Sorry but the trend has long be to then turn any name into an acronym and stop using the words. So it would be the: ETs.

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    As a Caucasian, how about Edmonton Crackers?
    Isn't that an import, used by American blacks and urban whites to reference the white rural poor? Like "hillbillies", I'm not sure if it's technically applicable outside the USA.

If you're looking for an allusion to the a local white demographic, how about the Edmonton Chuks? Might be considered controversial with the Ukrainian community, though I've never really heard them object to that nickname in the past.

I oppose changing the Edmonton Eskimos team name solely based on the fact that political correctness destroys everything it touches - sports, comedy, Halloween, Christmas, movies, music, TV shows, advertisements, etc.

The world already does enough to pander to people's feelings.

Yeah! It should go back to the good ol' days when everything was run the way white dudes wanted it to be run, with nary a care for anything other than themselves, their faith & the almighty dollar!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Yeah! It should go back to the good ol' days when everything was run the way white dudes wanted it to be run,

And there it is... the "progressive" who is convinced that "white dudes" invented selfishness, money, and exploitation and deserve the brunt of the blame for it.

Shoosh

I oppose changing the Edmonton Eskimos team name solely based on the fact that political correctness destroys everything it touches - sports, comedy, Halloween, Christmas, movies, music, TV shows, advertisements, etc.

But not here on c2e.

And there it is... the "progressive" who is convinced that "white dudes" invented selfishness, money, and exploitation and deserve the brunt of the blame for it.

Shoosh
    Better than the regressive who doesn't give two cents about anyone's feelings but his own & is so used to his own privilege that any move towards tolerance or equality is seen as oppression.

Shoosh yourself, Comrade.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast