Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Edmonton Central Park

^ I largely agree. Outside of Stephen Avenue, I think Calgary's downtown is actually far more terrible than ours and lacks any serious potential. It's canyon-like for the most part with virtually no thought given to street level interaction. While it's true that Edmonton lacks a lot of pedestrian friendly areas at this point, I would argue that at least there is far more potential to get there in the future. All those ugly parking lots may actually end up working in Edmonton's favour, because at least there is still an opportunity to build buildings that add to the pedestrian experience, rather than take away from it. I would take Edmonton's downtown over Calgary's any day.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Record low in Copenhagen: -17.8C

Gee, I wonder why they might have a different approach & result to winter, given that their winters are nothing like ours, climate-wise.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Factor in humidity?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

No, because that's irrelevant given the massive scale of differences. Copenhagen's all-time-low is roughly equivalent to our average-nighttime-low this time of year. If we were comparing averages to averages that'd be one thing, but this is extremes to averages. In any given winter you're likely to experience multiple days in Edmonton colder than Copenhagen has EVER experienced in historical weather records.

Northern Europe's climate isn't really analogous to Western Canada.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Timely article.

Edmonton makes second attempt at child-friendly planning

ELISE STOLTE

Two new parks built and under construction in the downtown core will provide space for gardeners, outdoor coffee drinkers, even dog walkers.

But despite city council’s long-term push to attract more families downtown, the parks will not have play space for children. Even the public art selected for the new Alex Decoteau Park on 105 Street is adult oriented. It’s too tall to climb.

“It will be eye-catching, iconic … Playable wasn’t one of the criteria,” said Katherine Kerr of the Edmonton Arts Council, who hopes to sign a contract with the artist this week.

In Edmonton, it can seem like planners only think of children when they’re planning playgrounds. Downtown, space for kids just didn’t come up during the public open houses, say planners. But there’s a growing sense that more should be done — not just in parks but at farmers’ markets, in public squares and perhaps even transit centres.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...endly-planning
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Seandroid View Post
    The idea that Edmonton has nice walkable areas downtown is hysterical to me. Have you people been to literally any other city in the damn world that isn't Detroit or Atlanta? Our downtown is relatively an awful space to walk around, and the weather is not an excuse. The number of prohibitively cold days we have in winter is vastly over exaggerated, and Copenhagen seems to manage just fine. Have you even been to Calgary...? Stephen avenue is amazing and unlike anything we have in Edmonton. Downtown Calgary is absolutely beautiful compared to ours and their climate is basically identical.
    Having ventured back and forth many times between our Calgary and Edmonton office, I can tell you this is categorically wrong. Calgary's downtown is different with a different vibe for sure (not one I prefer, to be honest), but Stephen Ave is dead in the evenings (walked down it thrice in the last month) and to call it absolutely beautiful compared to ours is way off the mark.
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

I actually moved from Calgary to Edmonton about 7 years ago, so I'll chime in. I think Calgary's downtown is a lot nicer, but it's a different kind of nice perhaps. My favorite thing about Calgary's downtown is their +15 walkway and how you can connect from one end of downtown to the other without having to step foot outside. This may not appeal to everyone, but I certainly enjoyed it, especially when temperatures are above 30 or below 10.

Shhhh. Don't let Scott McKeen hear you say that. He views convenience & comfort as secondary to "vibrancy" and would prefer we all bundle up/strip down & wander around at street level.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg walks just about everywhere and from what he's seen Emmonton's evening vibe has barely changed in twenty-five years.

In fact, it's gotten worse - there is none.

Unless you classify vagrants and the homeless as vibe.

Sure there is a bit of activity on event night for that small window immediately before or after an event - but that's what ?

Half an hour ?

Case in point.

Last week, Top_Dawg can't remember if it was during the Arizona or Florida game, Top_Dawg trotted along 4th avenue in front of Rogers heading towards the Rose and Crown.

Had to be towards the end of the second period.

Would never be able to tell there was an event going on inside.

Top_Dawg spotted three people.

Bucket guy getting his drum set ready.

Some vagrant digging in a garbage can for empties.

And some gilt sitting in her EPS SUV looking bored out of her skull.

That's it.

After the game, three people with Oiler jerseys came into the Rose.

Top_Dawg wandered outside and there were lots of people streaming out of Rogers.

Not wanting to get caught up in the crowd, Top_Dawg popped into Pazzo Pazzo Lounge for a coupla beer.

Maybe forty minutes later he left.

This time walking on the south side of 3rd avenue towards Kelly's, streets were deserted again.

Only sound was bucket guy banging away somewhere to the north.

Update on land purchases at Urban Planning Committee February 15.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Green do you have any idea how long a process the development of a project like this can take? I have south facing property in Monaco 2 and would love to see the change in scenery. Few years I presume?

God this will look great to passerbyers on the Valley Line. I really do hope it catalyzes the area too - possibly resurrect Healy at best.

^Right now there is only money to purchase the land. There is no money for planning the park let alone park development.

It will take some efforts on our part to get budget money in place for planning and consultation next step. If we want to see this park in less than 10 years. I'm sure developers, residents, etc would like to see it done in less time than that.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Green do you have any idea how long a process the development of a project like this can take? I have south facing property in Monaco 2 and would love to see the change in scenery. Few years I presume?

God this will look great to passerbyers on the Valley Line. I really do hope it catalyzes the area too - possibly resurrect Healy at best.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen I believe there actually will be buildings between most of the park and the Valley Line so they will see little, except for 1/2 a block on 105 St which the train will go by in a few seconds.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Is the central park going to get rid of the parking lot just west of Boston Pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    Is the central park going to get rid of the parking lot just west of Boston Pizza?
    I don't remember seeing anything really detailed, but according to this antique, it looks like the Park may not be intended to contact Jasper Avenue, so "maybe not"?

Quote Originally Posted by XTendEdmonton View Post
    New Central Park as proposed in the Jasper Avenue New Vision Project

http://www.edmonton.ca/go_downtown/j...ew-vision.aspx
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Mla View Post
    The strip of lots along Jasper Ave are going to be incentivized to develop as a result of this park. My only wish is that lots 127 and 128 in Block 6 (Boston Pizza) could have been expropriated. My vision is a slightly diagonally positioned park with planned walkways leading from Jasper Ave to a newly completed and expanded Norquest College. It will require walkable connections for people from things such as LRT, bus stops, campuses, etc in order for this park to be activated in the middle of the dustbowl. And having a grand entrance off of Jasper instead of some Side street would be efficient planning.

The best answer for your question: all the lots directly west of Jasper will not be park space; but 107st will likely be removed in conjunction with LRT construction and all those lots between Fountain Tire and Doans will all be developed.

Developer predicts another Alberta boom by Globe and Mail, February 23, 2017

“By buying up some of the parking lots in the Warehouse District and turning it into a city park, the city’s driving up the value of the surrounding sites and making development of those sites more likely,” he continues. “A really exciting neighbourhood is going to emerge there in the coming years.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-...ticle34109117/
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Developer predicts another Alberta boom by Globe and Mail, February 23, 2017

“By buying up some of the parking lots in the Warehouse District and turning it into a city park, the city’s driving up the value of the surrounding sites and making development of those sites more likely,” he continues. “A really exciting neighbourhood is going to emerge there in the coming years.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-...ticle34109117/
    Oh, the optimism of condo developers!!! If he could bottle and sell optimism, he would be even richer.

I am not quite so sure if there will be another boom soon, but I do think he has reason to feel good about this project. It is in a good location that is being made even better by the addition of the park. The slow down in the economy seems to have stopped several other proposed projects in the area so I suppose that is less competition for him, which may help his sales as well. If oil prices continue to recover he may be one of the first projects going ahead.

I suppose building in Edmonton and Calgary now which are not pricey like Vancouver or Toronto can be an advantage and also helps diversify his business from those markets which have peaked or may be peaking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123