Thread: What The Truck

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default What The Truck

Looks like one of the founders of What the Truck is pulling out, while her hubby stays on for one final year
    http://www.onlyhereforthefood.ca/201...hat-the-truck/
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Perhaps a better expression is 'transitioning away'.

A big thank you to Sharon for all of the work she did on this and continues to do to make Edmonton a more interesting, inviting and delicious place.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

WTT was needed 5 years ago when the food truck scene was in its infancy, but with the recent events drawing crowds in the thousands, I think it's really gone past the point of needing free promotion and marketing on the backs of volunteers.

Great work by Sharon and others tho. I hope the food trucks make the effort to organize and support these events themselves since they are the ones who ultimately profit.

a victim of its own success.

C2E Super Addict

It's hard to believe that a glorified burger van with a hipster pain job can become a "thing". Pretty much anywhere else in the world it's so ubiquitous as to be hardly worth noting.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, its not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    It's hard to believe that a glorified burger van with a hipster pain job can become a "thing". Pretty much anywhere else in the world it's so ubiquitous as to be hardly worth noting.
    Food truck festivals are pretty common in the U.S., actually. And food trucks are starting as a 'thing' in at least some central European countries too, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the festivals follow.
    Its so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?

Incredible what Sharon and Mack have achieved over 5 years. Kudos to them.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Expat, your endless negative comments are pathetic and sad. What a horrible life you must have.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistic Pragmatist View Post
    Food truck festivals are pretty common in the U.S., actually. And food trucks are starting as a 'thing' in at least some central European countries too, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the festivals follow.
    Tones of food festivals in London when I was there this fall, street food is everywhere. It's just not usually from a truck due to space and parking constraints. More market tent style.
    www.decl.org

C2E Super Addict

"Starting"? Food trucks have been commonplace forever in UK/Europe. No night on the p!ss was ever complete without a botulism burger or a mystery meat kebab served up by some greasy, tax dodging geezer in a beaten up, second hand van.

Just strikes my as amusing that it's considered somewhat exotic here.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, its not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Expat, your endless negative comments are pathetic and sad. What a horrible life you must have.
    Nothing's quite as pathetic & sad as assuming what someone writes on an inconsequential forum provides any insight into what kind of life someone has.
    Giving less of a damn than ever Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

"Starting"? Food trucks have been commonplace forever in UK/Europe. No night on the p!ss was ever complete without a botulism burger or a mystery meat kebab served up by some greasy, tax dodging geezer in a beaten up, second hand van.

Top_Dawg has to give you a high five for that one expat.

Remember everyone, clean up your posts, all of you/us.
    www.decl.org

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Top_Dawg has to give you a high five for that one expat.
    Mr. T_Dawg is no doubt the type of discerning gentleman who has enjoyed one or two such evenings himself.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I don't understand the food truck love either.

Since when is the UK in central Europe? Did you move it there personally?

I don't know which longstanding nighttime fixtures in central Europe you might be referring to loosely as food trucks here, but it is pretty clear that the English loanword "food truck" is a very recent addition to both the Dutch and German languages, so those populations do see them as a different (and recent) thing.

C2E Super Addict

Since when is the UK in central Europe? Did you move it there personally?

I don't know which longstanding nighttime fixtures in central Europe you might be referring to loosely as food trucks here, but it is pretty clear that the English loanword "food truck" is a very recent addition to both the Dutch and German languages, so those populations do see them as a different (and recent) thing.
    You're actually trying to convince yourself that buying food off a van anywhere in Europe is a new phenomenon?.. You may want to consider changing your handle to the somewhat more appropriate Idealistic Fantasist.

You're actually trying to convince yourself that buying food off a van anywhere in Europe is a new phenomenon?.. You may want to consider changing your handle to the somewhat more appropriate Idealistic Fantasist.
    Okay, okay, I admit it, you're right. I don't know why it took me so long to see it--it's simply a fact that every bit of your personal experience in the UK is generalisable to the entire rest of Europe--wait, no, the whole world outside of our backwater, provincial Canada. Thank you for bestowing your great fount of knowledge upon us, oh wise one. I won't make the same mistake again.

C2E Super Addict

Okay, okay, I admit it, you're right. I don't know why it took me so long to see it--it's simply a fact that every bit of your personal experience in the UK is generalisable to the entire rest of Europe--wait, no, the whole world outside of our backwater, provincial Canada. Thank you for bestowing your great fount of knowledge upon us, oh wise one. I won't make the same mistake again.
    Or, some of us may have actually experienced world cuisine (I us the term loosely in regard to food purchased from a van) in their authentic settings, and not just from some half arsed "Taste the world" festival in their city park or off the back of a converted F250 in downtown Edmonton.

You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

5 food trucks on 108 Street today. Tried the Kangaroo Burger from The Crooked Fork today. Very tasty. Great fries. Leg was packed.
    www.decl.org

Saw that, great to see.
    www.decl.org

Hit up What the Truck in Churchill Square late afternoon. You may notice a slight theme!

La Mar - Land and Sea Taco - 5/5
    Casa12Doce - Suadero Taco - 4/5
    Spice Rickshaw - Coconut Chicken Rice Bowl - 2/5
    Jimmy Poblano's - Fish Taco - 3/5

It wasn't very busy. I expected massive lineups at each truck yet there were none except at Jeepney Jaytee and most people lined up were Filipinos. Maybe it was the time when I went (4 PM - 5:30 PM), maybe it was the lineup of offerings (not the most enticing to me). Or could it be that it was competing with other events? Or maybe What the Truck is starting to lose its lustre, especially with the founders' imminent departure from the organization.

I think people are afraid of the lineups. Which is ironic, because by staying away, it's making sure that there are no lineups!

Anyway, I got some good food, I'm not complaining.

^^ because downtown and parking. People know changes happened but many don't know in what magnitude and everyone probably thinks parking will cost and arm and leg. Heck even downtown residents are confused. They see the newly installed "Mon - Sat paid parking 700-2200" and assume there's no more free parking after 6PM period. But in fact that doesn't apply on non-event nights. Just make sure you double check on the epark machine.

Just gotta check : http://www.rogersplace.com/getting-t...-place-parking for upcoming event nights

C2E SME

Is that the "guaranteed" list for event nights? Considering it's the C of E enforcing the on street parking, I'd prefer that they had a list. But in five minutes of Googling, I couldn't find anything definitive from the City itself. It would be nice to know, as I live DT and often have friends come by. I'd like to be able to advise them when they can park on the street, or when they'll either have to look for a visitor stall or pay for street/lot parking.

Uhm what?? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    ^^ because downtown and parking.
    Okay...why would anybody ever drive to a What The Truck event at Churchill Square? Just drive to the LRT station closest to your house and take the choo-choo...

It's faster, easier, and cheaper for me to drive downtown and park, provided there's no Rogers parking rates in effect.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal