Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Former president sues for $725K in Terwillegar Community League tussle

  1. #1

    Default Former president sues for $725K in Terwillegar Community League tussle

    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-league-tussle

    I feel so bad for the Terwillegar Community league board. Not only do they have to deal with the stress of this lawsuit, this will discourage many people from volunteering their time to other volunteer boards, which is difficult enough already. On top of all that, instead of moving on it's basically disabled the community league from providing any sort of benefit to the community.
    Last edited by JTM; 08-12-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: updated comments

  2. #2
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    Without knowing the facts, for someone on or previously on a volunteer board to sue a board/league takes either outrageous circumstances or a special kind of person.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  3. #3
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    I'd be cautious about saying much about this given that he's got form as outlined in the last part of the article.

  4. #4
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,536

    Default

    I hope the city offers a bond to all community leagues to protect them from these kinds of lawsuits.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  5. #5

    Default

    I tried to find the Statement of Claim on the Alberta Justice Queens Bench web site could not.
    Maybe they are available after a judgement has been made.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  6. #6

    Default

    It looks like he has a bit of a history of suing people per the article (two former employers). Sad for the board, hopefully the court recognizes this is a volunteer position and a volunteer board.

  7. #7

    Default

    I was advised that volunteer board members of school fundraising societies (PAAs, PACs, parent advisory groups) should carry liability insurance.

    I think there's a real problem out there where people are volunteering to help out without knowing or being told that they could lose everything they own by taking such positions.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    It looks like he has a bit of a history of suing people per the article (two former employers). Sad for the board, hopefully the court recognizes this is a volunteer position and a volunteer board.
    I hope the judge recognizes whoever is right, regardless of their position or circumstance.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  9. #9

    Default

    ^I'm not sure I agree. I think there should be some sort of mediation or arbitration process for something like this, not a bunch of lawyers duking it out.

  10. #10
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,973

    Default

    ^precisely.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  11. #11

    Default

    Without any of us seeing the Statement of Claim we don't know what he is actually suing for. Is it an attack on his character or just for him being let go from the job?.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  12. #12
    Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    744

    Default

    Trouble in NIMBY-land?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I'm not sure I agree. I think there should be some sort of mediation or arbitration process for something like this, not a bunch of lawyers duking it out.
    Not everything can have arbitration. They should have D&O insurance. If they lose, they're out a deductible. If they win, Mr. Lawsuit is gonna be feeling some serious financial pain.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    Trouble in NIMBY-land?
    . . .

  15. #15
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,471

    Default

    He sue 2 others before and I believe the reason they let hm go due to his attitude toward others ?? we may never know why he was let go for 3 rd time since 80's
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  16. #16
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    Trouble in NIMBY-land?
    When they run out of affordable housing projects to destroy, the piranhas turn on each other.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    He sue 2 others before and I believe the reason they let hm go due to his attitude toward others ?? we may never know why he was let go for 3 rd time since 80's
    After the court judgement there is a good chance the papers will be on-line for all to see. Unless there is a ban for some reason.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    Trouble in NIMBY-land?
    When they run out of affordable housing projects to destroy, the piranhas turn on each other.
    It wasnt affordable housing, it was a transitional housing. A step above a homeless shelter but below affordable housing.

  19. #19
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley
    Posts
    799

    Default

    Ask any of the old money in the real Terwillegar what they think about Terwillegar Towne: "A step above a homeless shelter but below affordable housing".

  20. #20
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Westmount
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    He sue 2 others before and I believe the reason they let hm go due to his attitude toward others ?? we may never know why he was let go for 3 rd time since 80's
    After the court judgement there is a good chance the papers will be on-line for all to see. Unless there is a ban for some reason.
    A statement of claim for this would be available for you to see if you went to the courthouse and asked the clerks to conduct a search for you. They'd even make a copy for you (for a fee, of course). Pleadings such as these are publicly-accessible documents, but the court never publishes them online.

  21. #21
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  22. #22
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Westmount
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    ^They post decisions, not pleadings.

  23. #23

    Default

    Is there something wrong with your comprehension skills?. I said decisions were on-line after judgement is passed. Why are you mentioning pleadings? The guy has not committed a crime so what are you bleating away about pleadings for. The judge is going to make a judgement on weather The community league were in the right to fire him and the way they went about firing him. It's not a criminal case it's a civil case.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

  24. #24
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Westmount
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    My comprehension skills are fine. How are yours? I think the problem is that you are throwing around legal terms that you don't understand. For instance, you do not seem to understand what a pleading is. It is not a term limited to criminal law. This definition may help you:

    Pleading is the beginning stage of a lawsuit in which parties formally submit their claims and defenses. The plaintiff submits a complaint stating the cause of action -- the issue or issues in controversy. The defendant submits an answer stating his or her defenses and denials. The defendant may also submit a counterclaim stating a cause of action against the plaintiff. Pleadings serve an important function of providing notice to the defendant that a lawsuit has been instituted concerning a specific controversy or controversies. It also provides notice to the plaintiff of the defendant's intentions in regards to the suit.
    In other words, a "Statement of Claim" is a pleading.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Is there something wrong with your comprehension skills?. I said decisions were on-line after judgement is passed.
    Nope, you didn't say that at all. You said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Statement of Claims are available on-line after the judgements have been passed.
    Which, as I've attempted to explain above, is not the case. Pleadings (such as Statements of Claim, Statements of Defence, Counterclaims, Third Party Claims, etc.) are not posted online after judgments are made. Judgments or decisions themselves are made available on CanLII, yes, and sometimes the written decision will contain excerpts of pleadings (there's that word again!), but if you want to see the actual, full-text of the plaintiff's Statement of Claim, you'll need to contact the courthouse to request a hardcopy.

    No need to get bent out of shape. I was only trying to help answer your questions in this thread.

  25. #25
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    Trouble in NIMBY-land?
    When they run out of affordable housing projects to destroy, the piranhas turn on each other.
    It wasnt affordable housing, it was a transitional housing. A step above a homeless shelter but below affordable housing.
    The horror..

  26. #26
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton (Norwood)
    Posts
    4,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    He sue 2 others before and I believe the reason they let hm go due to his attitude toward others ?? we may never know why he was let go for 3 rd time since 80's
    After the court judgement there is a good chance the papers will be on-line for all to see. Unless there is a ban for some reason.
    A statement of claim for this would be available for you to see if you went to the courthouse and asked the clerks to conduct a search for you. They'd even make a copy for you (for a fee, of course). Pleadings such as these are publicly-accessible documents, but the court never publishes them online.
    Why do they insist on making the process difficult? If something is supposed to be publicly accessible, it should be posted online.

    This is yet another example of the problem with the civil courts though. Plaintiffs should be required to present their case to a judge and be approved for trial before the defendant even hears about it.

  27. #27
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012
    Posts
    3,189

    Default

    This doesn't make much sense. You want the defendant to be kept in the dark? No, the defendant (and their lawyer) are the ones who need to know what the grounds of the suit are. But it is not necessary for every member of the public to have access to what is often the private business of the defendant and plaintiff.

  28. #28
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton (Norwood)
    Posts
    4,425

    Default

    ^ Under my proposal, if the plaintiff convinced the judge that it is possible that the would-be defendant's actions caused the damages claimed, then the defendant would be served and given an opportunity to retain legal council and refute the allegations in court. If the judge found the plaintiff's claim unbelievable, the case would end there. If the judge found the claims of wrongdoing believable, but the claims of damages unreasonable, then the plaintiff would have the option to drop the claim, or to revise the claim and proceed.

    As for release of documents, if there is no compelling reason to restrict public release, the documents should be posted online. If there is a compelling reason to restrict public release, then the documents should not be posted online and should not be available to random members of the public at the courthouse either. None of this "you can have it but it will cost you" nonsense.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •