Thread: The All Inclusive Wearable War

Default The All Inclusive Wearable War

We have the thread called: The All Inclusive Smartphone War so I thought I'd set up one for the wearables like the FitBit, Apple Watch, etc.

Today on CBC Current there was an interesting discussion of Fitbits, etc. They discuss the 10,000 step history that came from Japan, insurance companies potentially requiring exercise tracking, requiring visits to fitness centres to get paycheques, what people should get in steps, etc.
    I'll try to post a link later.

Maybe someone. An post pics of the early wearables we saw on Star Trek, etc.

Everyone remember the Star Trek Thraws (?) or something like that episode with the fancy networked neck tech?

C2E Super Addict

I assume my wife's fitbit thingy from a few years back has ended up in the back of that draw in the kitchen where pointless gadgets go to die? You know, the one with all the old phone chargers and an old blue ipod shufle in it.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itís not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

My wife has fitbit and recently got an apple watch. Seems that most of the people in her office also have fitbits - they are always trying to get in their 10,000 or 20,000 steps each day - whatever the office target happens to be.

I think she likes her watch too. She's still learning about what it can do but is wearing it daily.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    My wife has fitbit and recently got an apple watch. Seems that most of the people in her office also have fitbits - they are always trying to get in their 10,000 or 20,000 steps each day - whatever the office target happens to be.

I think she likes her watch too. She's still learning about what it can do but is wearing it daily.
    Yeah, I think they did all that at her place, but the novelty soon wore off. I'm struggling to think of anyone I know who actually owns an Apple watch?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itís not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

I have the Microsoft Band 2 and it's pretty amazing. I use it to tell time of course, but it also tells me the date, number of steps, number of calories burned, distance walked, how many times I've gone up a flight of stairs, current UV exposure, and a bunch of other things.

The best thing about it though is receiving notifications on my wrist. Text, email, phone and app notifications. Although I haven't figured out how to receive app notifications but others online have said you just have to go to the "notifications tile". I don't seem to have one of those. Maybe I need to download it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but fitbits don't do any of that notification stuff, do they?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

My wife's Fitbit can only do incoming call and text notifications but there is a third party app that enables all the notifications to work.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mage.bitticker
    Last edited by Hilman; 13-12-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Oh, so fitbits do call and text notifications. I didn't know that. Does it also do email notifications?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't believe it natively does email notifications (only with that third party app).

Microsoft Band 2 Review

CONCLUSION
    There are a ton of daily activity trackers, but none with as many sensors as the Microsoft Band 2. You can fully customize the tiles you have on your Band so that you can have it focused on running and workouts, smartwatch notifications, or miscellaneous apps like Starbucks, weather, and news.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pretty fugly looking device, 10 points for number of sensors, 0 points for style/looks.

You really think so? I think it looks quite nice.

Looks fine to me. Interesting all the talk about devices telling you what you have done, like climbing stairs. Great for people with OCD or dementia I suppose. Maybe for me as well. Ask me what stairs I climbed last Wednesday and I couldn't tell you.

Though, I can tell you that no one has ever asked me how many steps I took on any particular day, what I ate or anything.

However, these devices may provide those 'handy' missing alibis. "I swear I'm not a second story man ...see!"
    Last edited by KC; 21-12-2015 at 11:33 AM.

I know this is old news but thought I'd throw it in here for the sake of completion.

Microsoft's unreleased smartwatch.

It was actually supposed to be released by Nokia prior to the Apple watch announcement, but when Microsoft bought the division they cancelled it,presumably because they already had the MS Band in the line.

I did find the design similarity to the Apple watch interesting.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm still using my Apple Watch and much like the Pebble I had before it the primary use is for notifications. I do use the quick response to text features as well. I don't really use the fitness stuff but I do like the heart rate monitor and step counter for casual reference.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Concerns over privacy re wearable's.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/fi...sers-1.3428817

Interestingly, the one that does best, is Apple - they seem to consistently do well when it comes to privacy. Garmin is pretty horrible:

Details of the 8 devices studied in the Open Effect / Citizen Lab research report
    ■Device: Apple Watch App: Watch Data encryption: Yes Tamper-proof: Not tested ID privacy: Yes
    ■Device: Basis Peak App: Basis Peak 1.14.0 Data encryption: Yes Tamper-proof: Not tested ID privacy: No
    ■Device: FitBit Charge HR App: FitBit 2.10 Data encryption: Yes Tamper-proof: Yes ID privacy: No
    ■Device: Garmin Vivosmart App: Garmin Connect Data encryption: No Tamper-proof: No ID privacy: No
    ■Device: Jawbone UP 2 App: Jawbone UP 4.7.0 Data encryption: Yes Tamper-proof: No ID privacy: No
    ■Device: Mio Fuse App: Mio GO 2.4.4 Data encryption: Not applicable Tamper-proof: Not applicable ID privacy: No
    ■Device: Withings Pulse O2 App: Withings Health Mate 2.09.00 Data encryption: Partial Tamper-proof: No ID privacy: No
    ■Device: Xiaomi Mi Band App: Mi Fit 1.6.122 Data encryption: Yes Tamper-proof: Partial ID privacy: No

I'd rather C2E than work!

Security and privacy are technologically difficult. Apple made a strong commitment to them years to ago and have been designing their hardware from the ground up with it in mind.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I'm still using my Apple Watch and much like the Pebble I had before it the primary use is for notifications. I do use the quick response to text features as well. I don't really use the fitness stuff but I do like the heart rate monitor and step counter for casual reference.
    I now have an Apple watch and sure like being tell the time without having to dig my phone out of a pocket.

Not sure if I like all the buzzing, notifications, etc.

Like popup reminders etc on my computer, it all, just seems to be added interference.

I now have an Apple watch and sure like being tell the time without having to dig my phone out of a pocket
    Ha ha! What's old is new again. I remember when people used to say "Why do you need a watch when you can see the time on your phone?". Turns out being able to see the time on your wrist is convenient after all. Go figure.

I got myself a fitbit HR. I'm surprised how much I like it. It tracks hear rate reasonably well, on the bike I need to move it up my arm a little, but then isn't far off what I used to get with chest strap. Its nice and light, and battery is great. Fitbits step challenge thing with friends is fun. The one thing I don't like is it notifies if you get a phone call, but that's all. I'd like a watch that notifies of meetings / calendar alerts (would be highest priority for me). Sleep tracking is really nice, and actually useful (if I see I slept bad, I don't feel bad having a nap or similar).

I think I might like the Movado Bold wearable, but I'm going to hang on for a bit, and see how the tech develops in the next year or two. I'm sure the second gen Apple watch will be a lot better than first (I hope a round face), and other watch makers might make something that appeals to me.
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-04-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I now have an Apple watch and sure like being tell the time without having to dig my phone out of a pocket
    Ha ha! What's old is new again. I remember when people used to say "Why do you need a watch when you can see the time on your phone?". Turns out being able to see the time on your wrist is convenient after all. Go figure.
    Yeah progress is funny. I have three or four old wristwatches in drawers. They all worked when last used. The battery would die - after years of trouble free use - and I'd never get around to hauling it into a watch shop for a new battery. (Ended up with several as gifts.) Now I have to charge the new technology every few days, so I can get regular interruptions - mostly about things that take the fun out of life, like appointments, etc.

Apple Watch detects heart irregularity with 97 percent accuracy - The Verge

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/15/1...nce-monitoring