Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tone of conversation

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    @post 196

I would consider a reply like SDM's out-of-the-blue obnoxious, unless there were some sort of history between the two posters, where they had already been constantly at each other's throats for a period. But even then, if someone want to continue with that sort of vendetta, it's a good idea to indicate that context in the reply, eg. "And you were the guy calling MY idea's stupid in that other thread?!"

But as I've said before, C2E is a Montessori daycare compared to almost any other discussion forum that I've been on.

"unless there were some sort of history between the two posters, where they had already been constantly at each other's throats" I'm working on that. I've led a vendetta free life, but won't live forever.

If I was to use the ignore feature on this board, SDM would probably be the only one I add. I've received physical threats, and non-stop personal attacks from this guy. I know I've had my back n forths with IanO, and I'm no saint, but this guy takes the cake in my mind.

Rather than using the ignore feature, I just selectively ignore/scroll past his contentless drivel. He seems to get a kick out of being the forum cop. Don't post that here, post that here.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Comments like SDM just confirm the posters here that can't defend a position. The attack, chronic, is used instead of an actual rebuttal, or reply.

More technically its Confirmation bias, circular tautology, or even cognitive dissonance on display.

Not sure why SDM would figure a reply like that is required. Silly, stupid idea would suffice...
    Attacking sometimes works quite well - that's why it is used. It serves as an effective distraction too. However, "sorry, silly stupid idea" still doesn't seem to meet the sniff test either as it doesn't suffice in terms thoughtful or intelligent constructive criticism. Unfortunately, it's like the non sequiturs such as; 'you can't compare' apples to oranges, Trump to Hitler, Quayle to Kennedy, women's experiences to men's, and so on.
    I was just jk around. Thus the smiley. Agree with your expressed concern, just to be clear.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Got an interesting one here. Involving my own posting, so admittedly maybe that's why I find it interesting. So, here's my posting (minus photos) and Sonic Death Monkey's response to my posting.

"just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are" - Sonic Death Monkey.

I've seen this style of conversation used many times on c2e.

Your thoughts and impressions people? They are just words, so do they add worthwhile "dramatic effect", humour, spunk, etc. or is there a better way to deal with comments you feel waste your time, or challenge your lack of fun and humour, etc.?

Re-purpose of Old Remand Centre
    I was thinking about the lack of imagination being applied to the old remand building when I had the thought:

What would it look like with a high peak roofline like the Hotel MacDonald?

That, or a big circular dish as you'd see in Jetsen's or other sci-for futuristic cartoons and shoes.

You can see how the old annex was a "total fail" because of the flat roof. Put a gable / peaked roof on the old remand and imagine the visual difference that would make.

I just took s few seconds to pull up photos but a close match might show the potential similarities and potential mods to the remand that might make it an interesting building

Anyone here with any good creative rendering skills?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really don't see the point in putting a Hotel Mac roof on top of the Remand. It would be pig lipstick at best.
    And to even compare the two buildings just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...-Remand-Centre

If it makes you feel any better I did read what you wrote about putting roof of the Remand Centre and I thought I would definitely change the look of the building and not in a bad way. It's unfortunate thought that the interior of the Remand is probably mostly concrete in between each cell and a real challenge to gut the interior (except the flooring). Otherwise your post in regards to the roof was a interesting one. SDM is a bit of an r sole.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    If I was to use the ignore feature on this board, SDM would probably be the only one I add. I've received physical threats, and non-stop personal attacks from this guy. I know I've had my back n forths with IanO, and I'm no saint, but this guy takes the cake in my mind.

Rather than using the ignore feature, I just selectively ignore/scroll past his contentless drivel. He seems to get a kick out of being the forum cop. Don't post that here, post that here.
    I rather enjoy the banter. As long as we are both anonymous, no harm no matter how foul. Plus I brought some laughter into Sonic's world and then upped the ante (or should I say anti) by highlighting the conversational tactic on this thread. All's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Got an interesting one here. Involving my own posting, so admittedly maybe that's why I find it interesting. So, here's my posting (minus photos) and Sonic Death Monkey's response to my posting.

"just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are" - Sonic Death Monkey.

I've seen this style of conversation used many times on c2e.

Your thoughts and impressions people? They are just words, so do they add worthwhile "dramatic effect", humour, spunk, etc. or is there a better way to deal with comments you feel waste your time, or challenge your lack of fun and humour, etc.?

Re-purpose of Old Remand Centre
    I was thinking about the lack of imagination being applied to the old remand building when I had the thought:

What would it look like with a high peak roofline like the Hotel MacDonald?

That, or a big circular dish as you'd see in Jetsen's or other sci-for futuristic cartoons and shoes.

You can see how the old annex was a "total fail" because of the flat roof. Put a gable / peaked roof on the old remand and imagine the visual difference that would make.

I just took s few seconds to pull up photos but a close match might show the potential similarities and potential mods to the remand that might make it an interesting building

Anyone here with any good creative rendering skills?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really don't see the point in putting a Hotel Mac roof on top of the Remand. It would be pig lipstick at best.
    And to even compare the two buildings just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...-Remand-Centre

If it makes you feel any better I did read what you wrote about putting roof of the Remand Centre and I thought I would definitely change the look of the building and not in a bad way. It's unfortunate thought that the interior of the Remand is probably mostly concrete in between each cell and a real challenge to gut the interior (except the flooring). Otherwise your post in regards to the roof was a interesting one. SDM is a bit of an r sole.
    Thanks for the civil response. I know it will never happen but recladding can alter impressions of buildings so hopefully it might spur constructive thought and maybe even elicit better, potentially realizable ideas. (All for the other thread.)

Honestly, I'd rather read the posters' actual opinions on the outside world, no matter how rudely expressed, than the never-ending complaints about others and justifications of oneself.

I have been rude, often -- both seriously and as a tactic -- and I have been insulted, equally often. Which came first is beside the point by now. So too is the question of whether I have given or taken offence. That's all.

Please, can we have as few conversations about tone as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Honestly, I'd rather read the posters' actual opinions on the outside world, no matter how rudely expressed, than the never-ending complaints about others and justifications of oneself.

I have been rude, often -- both seriously and as a tactic -- and I have been insulted, equally often. Which came first is beside the point by now. So too is the question of whether I have given or taken offence. That's all.

Please, can we have as few conversations about tone as possible?
    They are all just words amongst mostly anonymous posters so there should be zero concern and zero personal impact among the anonymous. More importantly, such tactics shouldn't affect the progress of discourse in a thread.

Just like any racist, hate, swearing and other generally distasteful or even horrific language. Pretty much anything should go where individuals can't be hurt without their own consent. The sticks and stone rule should always prevail amongst anonymous posters. Then when thoughtless or hateful or tactless words are used, other participants should take to task those that don't seem to have the capacity to successfully and intelligently interact. That's how we all learn and solve problems, share ideas and positions and possibly even change minds and perspectives.

Unfortunately, hate laws and board rules about swearing, etc. can affect honest discourse and so those rules prevail despite my wishes for an anything goes forum in terms of speech that doesn't target identifiable individuals.

However, where people are identifiable, everyone should be aware that anything you say or do can be used against you - and others. So if you employ character or career assassination tactics against a named, identifiable poster then that's pretty much a personal assault.

Comments among anonymous posters however shouldn't be seen as much factual or truthful than comments among the fictional characters in a novel.
    Last edited by KC; 25-04-2017 at 10:06 AM.

^Disagree. Theres a difference between stating everybody should be immune to whatever gets stated online and this actually being the case. Some, or many, are impacted and don't wish for, or seek out that nature of exchange. Many people don't have much of a choice and for instance people infirm, handicapped, shut in, who may have something like this as their only interactional access. That online discussion for them isn't a choice, but a means of having civil contact, in an uncivil atmosphere..

Sometimes I get caught up in the heat of exchanges and respond in kind. Other times I think of people just lurking who would probably prefer seeing another nature of exchange and the thought that nothing here matters enough to have discord wins out.

Finally, I don't know about most people but I don't exist on a continual flat line of emotional neutral. There are times where the same type of comment could bother me, or bounce right off me. Any of us could even state that anonymous hostility directed at someone doesn't matter, but does it not matter all the time? In any moment? In any exchange? Certainly human reaction that I know in real life varies. Quite substantially on a case by case basis and time by time basis. To wit what one poster asked about whether or not the conflict had been ongoing. That's a valid point. A mere exchange can't be 3rd party evaluated on its own. Whats the backstory for it?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

People need to learn to stand up for themselves. After all, you shouldn't expect someone else to always do it for you, or complain when you aren't being protected from hurt feelings or harsh language.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    People need to learn to stand up for themselves. After all, you shouldn't expect someone else to always do it for you, or complain when you aren't being protected from hurt feelings or harsh language.
    Hey, most of us do fine in this regard. One doesn't post thousands of times online and for decades without developing some kind of armor if they didn't have it before. But I often reflect how much online denizens do, and don't make up a composite of the human race. I tend to think only a subset end up posting a lot.

On the basis of # of posts online I'm a habituated potential ahole resident. Didn't start out that way (which should come as a big surprise)

I've learned a lot in online interaction. But while not being able to ignore the social decay contained therein.

Hey, most of us do fine in this regard. One doesn't post thousands of times online and for decades without developing some kind of armor if they didn't have it before. But I often reflect how much online denizens do, and don't make up a composite of the human race. I tend to think only a subset end up posting a lot.

On the basis of # of posts online I'm a habituated potential ahole resident. Didn't start out that way (which should come as a big surprise)

I've learned a lot in online interaction. But while not being able to ignore the social decay contained therein.
    Excellent points. Fully agree that we are a subset, a minuscule subset. You have to wonder how many people have been turned away from offering up highly valuable information to all, simply because others on the forums here, see everything here, as being in a state of warfare rather than one of learning.

As for social decay, for generations almost all change has been perceived but one or variously by all, as social decay. From women wearing pants, to risqué humour, such unrestrained behaviour has always initially been perceived as destructive.

As for learning to stand up for themselves. I really don't know if people that likely come to a social forum to, say have a fun time talking and learning, also come with the expectation that that fun will be denied them and that those with sad, mean, closed-minded, fundamental, literal and other hostile attitudes will target their every word. (In other words, turn a leisure activity into something akin to a job.)
    Last edited by KC; 25-04-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Excellent points. Fully agree that we are a subset, a minuscule subset. You have to wonder how many people have been turned away from offering up highly valuable information to all, simply because others on the forums here, see everything here, as being in a state of warfare rather than one of learning.

As for social decay. For generations almost all change has been perceived but one or all, variously, as social decay.
    Thanks KC. This has other ramifications as well which are much greater. That politically politicians are more and more given to gauge approval, support, want, need from online respondents, discussion, etc. So that in a democracy online participatory part of representation has become grossly disproportional. I think as well that this has really befuddled pollsters, pundits, predictions. That a larger segment exists that are not necessarily voicing, voting in polls, etc online.

That's all OT to this thread but something I ponder. To the extent that political interaction and behavior itself, and decorum in parliament is now all online approved, for lack of better words. The Online process has helped further the erosion of political discourse. Being that political discourse already had a headstart on race to the bottom exchange.

ps when I mentioned social decay I'm not talking inter generation, intersex, or any variable like that. This isn't voiced as a "damn these young kids" argument. But in general that as conduct decays, discourse decays, interaction, and connection, decays albeit ironically with tech devises attached that aid such nonstop erosion of interaction.

"Social media" haha

Note: I kept editing. On my iPhone and I struggle to get thoughts straight while correcting incessant typos and grammatical errors.

Note: I kept editing. On my iPhone and I struggle to get thoughts straight while correcting incessant typos and grammatical errors.
    We both do, heh, when I say "Finally" in one of my posts as if to suggest that's my last point I often end up editing that. Its interesting that even that has been criticized, as if its dishonest, or tricky or posting one thing and then changing it. Its my thought process and the way I write. First its a draft, look it over, do corrections, add some weight (or driftwood depending on the observer) and then I'm done. I wonder if I end up editing this post..

As for social decay. For generations almost all change has been perceived but one or all, variously, as social decay.
    Thanks KC. This has other ramifications as well which are much greater. That politically politicians are more and more given to gauge approval, support, want, need from online respondents, discussion, etc. So that in a democracy online participatory part of representation has become grossly disproportional. I think as well that this has really befuddled pollsters, pundits, predictions. That a larger segment exists that are not necessarily voicing, voting in polls, etc online.

That's all OT to this thread but something I ponder. To the extent that political interaction and behavior itself, and decorum in parliament is now all online approved, for lack of better words. The Online process has helped further the erosion of political discourse. Being that political discourse already had a headstart on race to the bottom exchange.

ps when I mentioned social decay I'm not talking inter generation, intersex, or any variable like that. This isn't voiced as a "damn these young kids" argument. But in general that as conduct decays, discourse decays, interaction, and connection, decays albeit ironically with tech devises attached that aid such nonstop erosion of interaction.

"Social media" haha
    Yeah, whoever first called it social media clearly had to be severely socially dysfunctional - but highly optimistic.

We both do, heh, when I say "Finally" in one of my posts as if to suggest that's my last point I often end up editing that. Its interesting that even that has been criticized, as if its dishonest, or tricky or posting one thing and then changing it. Its my thought process and the way I write. First its a draft, look it over, do corrections, add some weight (or driftwood depending on the observer) and then I'm done. I wonder if I end up editing this post..
    On a couple old devices I have to post before going to a new tab (to say capture a quote) or the thread will refresh and I have to start over.

What a coincidence!

Politics chat on Reddit reads like it was written by 6-year-olds | New Scientist

By Douglas Heaven

People often comment that Brexit and the US presidential election have proved so divisive that it feels as if smart and civil political debate has taken a hit. Now a study looking at the quality of discourse in online political discussion groups over the last 10 years shows that conversations have indeed become both less sophisticated and more offensive than ever.

...”

https://www.newscientist.com/article...y-6-year-olds/

‘Trump effect’ has created a ‘partisan garbage fire’ of commentary written at 1st grade reading level: study
    By BOB BRIGHAM

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/tru...g-level-study/

The study:
    https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.05303
    Last edited by KC; 05-12-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Remember folks: Reddit is the leading cause of Redditors.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

And you're not a true member of C2E until Noodlesque picks a fight with ya and quickly turns it into insults. Just because.

Useless Cuck.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    And you're not a true member of C2E until Noodlesque picks a fight with ya and quickly turns it into insults. Just because.

Useless Cuck.
    ???

and i suppose this post was meant to demonstrate how to have a more civilized conversation?

maybe you could use a different word to fall in love with before you post?

perhaps i could suggest “delete”?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Useless Cuck.
    ???
    and i suppose this post was meant to demonstrate how to have a more civilized conversation?
    He can't now since you and I have quoted him. Locked in.
    Kitlope just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

ok, fine if you believe that. I've seen noodle call people out for what they write... but then you add this

Useless Cuck.
    Is that how you demonstrate being the better poster? By doing the same thing you are calling out about?

Good grief.

Hahaha. More drive bys by our resident MRA/RedPiller.

Useless Cuck.
    My mistake, by our resident hypocritical MRA/RedPiller. Project much?

(Also, kinda pathetic to attempt to take the high ground while insulting someone on your ignore list. Stay classy, neckbeard.)
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Useless Cuck.
    ???
    He can't now since you and I have quoted him. Locked in.
    Kitlope just got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning...
    the suggestion was for use before posting, not after.

and if early morning is going to be the excuse, he’d have to be an awfully early riser to use it...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Well, ok then, maybe Kitlopeque missed his afternoon nap time...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123