Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tone of conversation

^What do you want from us Replacement?. Your sucking and blowing at the same time. Your the only one bleating on about wanting it to be more inclusive. The rest of us seem to rubbing along nicely most of the time. Yes, there are bozo outbreaks but mostly we weather the storm. I can't figure out what your under lining point to all this is, it's like your fishing to find out if you have any relevance on the forum. Yes, you do. Just get on with it.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^What do you want from us Replacement?. Your sucking and blowing at the same time. Your the only one bleating on about wanting it to be more inclusive. The rest of us seem to rubbing along nicely most of the time. Yes, there are bozo outbreaks but mostly we weather the storm. I can't figure out what your under lining point to all this is, it's like your fishing to find out if you have any relevance on the forum. Yes, you do. Just get on with it.
    Doesn't matter what I want. That isn't the focus. My take was that this forum is likely too unpleasant for a lot of people to feel comfortable taking part in. That's a premise.
    That's what I was wondering about.

But people have stated clearly they don't agree that its any concern. So we're done here I guess.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Making being wrong an artform since 2006...

That was your signature wasnt it for the longest time?

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post

That was meant to tongue and cheek placate. You're welcome to it if you're asking.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Doesn't matter what I want. That isn't the focus. My take was that this forum is likely too unpleasant for a lot of people to feel comfortable taking part in. That's a premise.
    From my experience...

I've referred a substantial number of people to C2E over the years...friends, politicians, media...all but a very few have come back reflecting the view you are posting and never engage or return to the forum.

That was meant to tongue and cheek placate. You're welcome to it if you're asking.
    I'm guessing you don't think your part of the "problem" then. What with your always polite responses and signatures like that.

I'm guessing you don't think your part of the "problem" then. What with your always polite responses and signatures like that.
    Not sure why you would guess that when I've stated I am multiple times.

Or in my past signature which was partially meant to take the **** out of myself. I think that's good for humility.

Sure I'm part of the problem, I'm part of the milieu and my posting here has been impacted just like almost anybody elses. That's what I mean by an interactional "dynamic" at work. I have real respect for the posters here that do manage to maintain more civility. Although I strive for something like that obviously I fail.
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-01-2016 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    From my experience...

I've referred a substantial number of people to C2E over the years...friends, politicians, media...all but a very few have come back reflecting the view you are posting and never engage or return to the forum.
    Yep. Thanks Thomas. Again that view is lost due to that because those views are lost with those posters not continuing. Just like anybody I have referred.

So what is left looks as if I'm the outlier opinion. I don't think I am in general. Just that I persevere more.

I've noted you don't post as much anymore either. That's too bad for the board imo.

cheers
    Last edited by Replacement; 27-01-2016 at 10:34 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

From my experience...

Yep. Thanks Thomas. Again that view is lost due to that because those views are lost with those posters not continuing. Just like anybody I have referred.

So what is left looks as if I'm the outlier opinion. I don't think I am in general. Just that I persevere more.

I've noted you don't post as much anymore either. That's too bad for the board imo.

cheers
    I really doubt that the tone of the forum is the reason for decreasing numbers. As I've said many times before, this is one of the more genteel boards I follow(and I follow a lot), and to be brutally honest, if someone can't handle the style here, they probably couldn't handle it anywhere.

Most of the boards I follow have had a substantial decrease in numbers these past few years, unaccompanied by any noticable decrease in civility. The convetional wisdom is that this is connected to the rise of Facebook and other SNS. Not sure what to make of that, but it is one alternative explanation.

I really doubt that the tone of the forum is the reason for decreasing numbers. As I've said many times before, this is one of the more genteel boards I follow(and I follow a lot), and to be brutally honest, if someone can't handle the style here, they probably couldn't handle it anywhere.
    Maybe that's the point...comparing C2E to "other" boards you may very well be right (mind you I am on a number of political, historical, aviation and auto performance boards and they are a lot more civil than C2E) but to someone coming entering C2E as a first time board user it is daunting and those that I have referred have reflected just that.

FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    From my experience...

cheers

Most of the boards I follow have had a substantial decrease in numbers these past few years, unaccompanied by any noticable decrease in civility. The convetional wisdom is that this is connected to the rise of Facebook and other SNS. Not sure what to make of that, but it is one alternative explanation.
    With all due respect not everbody that ventures here would be so inured to standard internet knock down drag out interaction.

A lot of us, particularly older folk, grew up with a much different style and nature of interaction. So much so that I kind of worry about todays online incivility and what that does to human interaction which increasingly occurs online.

Lastly, I'm a bit taken aback at the notion that one should have to "handle" a nature of interaction in what is assumedly activity that one does at their leisure and presumably for pleasure..

I would ask how long a typical person would generally be willing to do that and why.

^ I find that as my aunts, uncles, parents and elderly family friends have passed away, a whole wonderful and enjoyable style of personal communication has largely disappeared with them. Friendly, intelligent, smiling, subtle teasing humour, positive and just plain enjoyable to be around.

Increasingly I find the standard today is the Bart Simpson approach. Sassy, sarcastic, chip on the shoulder, cynical, victimizing, drab, unimaginative and often boring predictable conversation and humour. Even the tv and videos for today's youngest kids seem to have a mean-sprirted edge to them. Friends are portrayed as the fountains of knowledge, while parents are portrayed as bumbling or untrustworthy. Somehow it seems to me that the writers and producers of kids tv all must come from broken, damaged, traumatic family backgrounds.

As the author below says in his article: "common sense"

Warren Buffett's Remarkably Simple Mantra for Success
    MARCH 5, 2015
    PETER GASCA

"...That is hardly a small difference, Mr. Buffett.

He was quick to point out that we had all in fact started off poor, scared and naked. He dismissed the attributes of luck, though he acknowledged the fact that he was fortunate to have been born to supporting parents with means, or as he called it, "winning the fallopian tube lottery."

Instead, Buffett emphasized that the true secret to success was to live a righteous life, because dishonesty, cruelty and immorality follow you throughout your career, and it is far more difficult to shed than any failure we will ever have.

"He suggested that by adopting one simple mantra, all other parts of your personal and professional lives would fall into place:

"Never do anything in life if you would be ashamed of seeing it printed on the front page of your hometown newspaper for your family and friends to see." {- Warren Buffett}]

It is that simple."

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/243601

Note how the media is making sure his full name is in the headlines...

Gregory Alan Elliott not guilty in Twitter harassment case

'Vulgar and sometimes obscene' tweets by Toronto man fall short of criminal behaviour, judge rules
    CBC News Posted: Jan 22, 2016

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...dict-1.3415112

~

^I don't get the love fest you have for Buffet. Just because he wants to live a righteous / clean / boring life, doesn't mean that's the best way to live, versus the typically billionaire lifestyle of hookers and blow

Maybe that's the point...comparing C2E to "other" boards you may very well be right (mind you I am on a number of political, historical, aviation and auto performance boards and they are a lot more civil than C2E) but to someone coming entering C2E as a first time board user it is daunting and those that I have referred have reflected just that.

FWIW
    If people coming on the board find it daunting and they are put off that says just as much about them as it does about us. Not everything in life is easy. If a complete stranger on the internet posts something you don't necessary like is that enough for a person to stop posting?. There is usually always someone who is going to disagree with a certain stance on a post. If a person cannot handle criticism from a stranger on the internet how do they handle fact to face interactions in life?.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

^^ I like his amazing mental skills, balanced wholistic perspective to companies and financial/societal issues, insights into wealth and the psychology of people, generally good intentions, etc. However his nutty lifestyle I don't mention much, like taking only $100,000 in income as CEO, buying hail damaged cars, never sharing much wealth with his kids, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I don't get the love fest you have for Buffet. Just because he wants to live a righteous / clean / boring life, doesn't mean that's the best way to live, versus the typically billionaire lifestyle of hookers and blow
    Funny you read it different than me...

When I read this...

Instead, Buffett emphasized that the true secret to success was to live a righteous life, because dishonesty, cruelty and immorality follow you throughout your career, and it is far more difficult to shed than any failure we will ever have.

"Never do anything in life if you would be ashamed of seeing it printed on the front page of your hometown newspaper for your family and friends to see." {- Warren Buffett}
    I don't see anything about being boring...I've had an exciting life and it's pretty much how I live.

FWIW
    If people coming on the board find it daunting and they are put off that says just as much about them as it does about us. Not everything in life is easy. If a complete stranger on the internet posts something you don't necessary like is that enough for a person to stop posting?. There is usually always someone who is going to disagree with a certain stance on a post. If a person cannot handle criticism from a stranger on the internet how do they handle fact to face interactions in life?.[/QUOTE]

Handling interactions face to face in the real world is an unavoidable fact of life...
    Choosing to be a part of an internet forum is a choice that is done for recreation.

Most people I know don't choose to take a lot of criticism or abuse in their recreation.

Beside I thought the goal of C2E was to inclusive of all and grow to represent the City/Region as a whole.

^That's true, most people don't choose to take a lot of criticism or abuse in their day to day face to face interactions.
    I think C2E does represent the City/Region but C2E (to me anyway) could also mean connect to the people of Edmonton, after all, what's a city without it's people. And in that spirit the people of Edmonton have a wide range of opinions on a wide range of topics. If people not living in the region want to connect with Edmontonian's that is fine also. It's not the mutual admiration society. People all state their opinions differently or react differently. It's a cross section of people posting. Were not robots that are going to react the same way. Would anyone want that?.

Beside I thought the goal of C2E was to inclusive of all and grow to represent the City/Region as a whole.

That may be the intention, but has come no where close to that. In another thread, I laughingly suggested that we rename the board "connect2downtownEdmonton" because in reality, thats where 97.34% of the focus of this board is on. When one brings up suburban developments and issues and concerns, its usually met with a few prominent members jumping on the thread, trying to tell people their lives are wrong because they don't live downtown. I'm okay with the focus being on downtown, it's the heart of the city, but its the attitudes of many here that seem to think that it's the only proper way to live in this city is to work/live/play downtown, and hence why this forum doesn't appeal to the majority of Edmontonians, which never live, work, or play downtown.

To an end, most people aren't that concerned around civic issues as most members here are, another large reason why this board doesn't appeal to a wider spectrum. They don't care how shiny a downtown office building is, or what the new skyscraper looks like, or how great that new gastro-pub food and beer selection is.
    Last edited by Medwards; 27-01-2016 at 05:11 PM.

That may be the intention, but has come no where close to that. In another thread, I laughingly suggested that we rename the board "connect2downtownEdmonton" because in reality, thats where 97.34% of the focus of this board is on. When one brings up suburban developments and issues and concerns, its usually met with a few prominent members jumping on the thread, trying to tell people their lives are wrong because they don't live downtown. I'm okay with the focus being on downtown, it's the heart of the city, but its the attitudes of many here that seem to think that it's the only proper way to live in this city is to work/live/play downtown, and hence why this forum doesn't appeal to the majority of Edmontonians, which never live, work, or play downtown.

To an end, most people aren't that concerned around civic issues as most members here are, another large reason why this board doesn't appeal to a wider spectrum. They don't care how shiny a downtown office building is, or what the new skyscraper looks like, or how great that new gastro-pub food and beer selection is.
    Many people in the suburbs have families and work and play all the time. Their lives are filled with either personal or family activities and so leave themselves zero to little free time to post on a site like c2e. Facebook activities likely fill any of their disposable/screen time.

Yes I saw that thread, didn't participate as I wasn't in the mood to deal with the "hive", so to speak, and what you state is pretty much where it went.

Was a good idea though I give you credit for that.

To an end, most people aren't that concerned around civic issues as most members here are, another large reason why this board doesn't appeal to a wider spectrum.
    Well the folks, including media and politicians as well as neighbors, that I invited to check out C2E were all very civic minded...and they didn't feel they needed the site or what came with it, shame.

And I think you might be under estimating "Fred Ziffel" the average blue collar dude is following civic issues and interest based on our "in the back yard garage bull sessions we have when the weather is decent.

But you may very well be more on target than my circle represents.

Thanks for the input to my comment

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Many people in the suburbs have families and work and play all the time. Their lives are filled with either personal or family activities and so leave themselves zero to little free time to post on a site like c2e. Facebook activities likely fill any of their disposable/screen time.
    I agree KC, but many are very involved with Parents councils, community leagues and other associations so follow "what's happening" municipality and Provincially closely.

I would be great to have those point of views on the board to make things more diverse.

I was reading reddit yesterday and I found this in regards to C2E

The forum there is really just a clique that hugs the nut of one hipster that truly believes that Downtown is the place to be to raise families and shuns the burbs and "big box store development".
    Not a slight to downtown or anything, but a certain few people over there really ruin the "experience". I want to talk about all development equally, not a god damn sausage fest of people nut hugging one person and championing downtown development while talking down any sort of new community in a passive-aggressive way.
    So if there is any alternative regarding communities in Edmonton that doesn't have a hipster focus on everything, that'd be fantastic.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Edmonton/co...nect2edmonton/

I don't think this forum is full of hipster dudes that just promote downtown. The poster on reddit sounds like they have an axe to grind over nothing in particular.

Thanks for posting Gemini

Read the whole thread...and recommend others do as well
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 28-01-2016 at 01:27 AM. Reason: removed broken link

Oh I remember that thread. I even posted in it
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E SME

Thanks for posting Gemini

Read the whole thread...and recommend others do as well
    Your link is broken.

^If I'm not on your ignore list the link on my post is not broken.

C2E SME

No, you're not on ignore. I thought Thomas was linking to another thread or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    No, you're not on ignore. I thought Thomas was linking to another thread or something.
    Sorry bout the broken link, I cut and pasted from Gemini's post so I'm not sure why it worked on her post and not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Sorry bout the broken link, I cut and pasted from Gemini's post so I'm not sure why it worked on her post and not mine.
    Because what you cut & pasted was the way the board processed & displayed the link in-line from Gem's post, not the actual link itself.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I was reading reddit yesterday and I found this in regards to C2E

The forum there is really just a clique that hugs the nut of one hipster that truly believes that Downtown is the place to be to raise families and shuns the burbs and "big box store development".
    Not a slight to downtown or anything, but a certain few people over there really ruin the "experience". I want to talk about all development equally, not a god damn sausage fest of people nut hugging one person and championing downtown development while talking down any sort of new community in a passive-aggressive way.
    So if there is any alternative regarding communities in Edmonton that doesn't have a hipster focus on everything, that'd be fantastic.

I don't think this forum is full of hipster dudes that just promote downtown. The poster on reddit sounds like they have an axe to grind over nothing in particular.
    Also, it's a bit much to be lectured by someone on Reddit, which is, like, Exhibit A for the thesis that There Are A Lot Worse Sites Than C2E...

Reddit was pushed to remove its r/jailbait forum which hosted pictures of underage girls in September 2011 and later the r/Photobucket forum which hosted pictures taken from compromised accounts on the photo-sharing site Photobucket.

And even the phrase "hug the nut of...", referring to an actual C2Eer, is hardly up to the genteel standards that this site's critics seem to think should prevail over here.

As for the content of the guy's comments, I've been a daily visitor to C2E for close to a decade now, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I would have had any idea of which poster was the "hipster dude" referred to . And even now, I'm not 100% certain, so evidently it's possible to post here without being constantly bombarded by that one hipster.

link

ftr I consider reddit unpleasant and would never post there given the typical verbal exchanges that go on there. I never have posted on reddit.

But that doesn't equate to a notion like; " a place is far worse so this one must be fine in comparison"

I'd offer instead that online flaming interaction in general is a concern and that theres nothing wrong with posters noting this.

I still find it odd that posters still state such things as "people need to grow thicker skins" in order to be active online. That's a notion that has been deemed inappropriate and unhelpful in other moderated forums.

The question of how many potential posters remain put off by exhibited interaction is still relevant.

Oh, and I already got my hearty C2E breakfast of being told; "You need to STFU replacement" this morning. So I'm already full thanks.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-01-2016 at 09:48 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

war of words should never been allowed in any threads here, end of discussion !!
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

First One is Always Free

^^^
    Seems like it happens pretty often though (hell, I notice it, and I'm still fairly new here!), as these things do on internet forums. Sadly, it's easy to talk sh-t when yer a faceless member of a discussion forum, hiding behind a computer.

There's an old rule about how to avoid internet flame wars, to wit:
    "Never say anything to anyone online you would not say directly to that person's face."

Words to live by...

Quote Originally Posted by Scona, Class of '94 View Post
    "Never say anything to anyone online you would not say directly to that person's face."

Words to live by...
    So if you saw a panhandler in real life, would you tell him to "go take a flying leap off the high-level bridge", as you did on the New Low In E-Town thread?

^^^
    Seems like it happens pretty often though (hell, I notice it, and I'm still fairly new here!), as these things do on internet forums. Sadly, it's easy to talk sh-t when yer a faceless member of a discussion forum, hiding behind a computer.

Words to live by...
    "...hiding behind a computer."

Only right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if someday everything we've ever done online is hacked and publicly released.

Words to live by...
    So if you saw a panhandler in real life, would you tell him to "go take a flying leap off the high-level bridge", as you did on the New Low In E-Town thread?
    Note: Scona didn't say Scona practices that him/herself.
    Last edited by KC; 31-01-2016 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Removed a snarky comment so something I then determined was reasonable.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^^

Words to live by...

Only right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if someday everything we've ever done online is hacked and publicly released.
    pretty much everything we've ever done off line has always been pretty much available for anyone that wanted to find out.

the only difference between being off line and on line is that for some reason some people felt that personal accountability wouldn't/shouldn't apply online and that they could remain anonymous.

this led to behaviour/activities/statements by some that would not have taken place without that assumed anonymity. they were/are wrong in their assumptions and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

and then there's the ego/paranoia factor. most people - including those in government - really don't give a rat's hind end about what most other people do or say.
    Last edited by kcantor; 31-01-2016 at 01:55 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    ^^^

Words to live by...

Only right now.

pretty much everything we've ever done off line has always been pretty much available for anyone that wanted to find out.

the only difference between being off line and on line is that for some reason some people felt that personal accountability wouldn't/shouldn't apply online and that they could remain anonymous.

this led to behaviour/activities/statements by some that would not have taken place without that assumed anonymity. they were/are wrong in their assumptions and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

and then there's the ego/paranoia factor. most people - including those in government - really don't give a rat's hind end about what most other people do or say.
    "really don't give a rat's hind end about what most other people do or say"

...until you apply for a job working for them. . Or run in an election and so someone devotes hours or days digging through some teenybopper's years old postings to find some controversial comments or photos.
    Last edited by KC; 31-01-2016 at 02:48 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^^

Words to live by...

Only right now.

...until you apply for a job working for them. . Or run in an election and so someone devotes hours or days digging through some teenybopper's years old postings to find some controversial comments or photos.
    as initially posted, "the only difference between being off line and on line is that for some reason some people felt that personal accountability wouldn't/shouldn't apply online and that they could remain anonymous".

so yes, when you want me to vote for you or you want to work for me, i will check your references and your background and do a police check... and i will look at your on line history to see if anything there might help me to make up my mind about you.

i may not care what you might have posted years ago but i will probably care about whether you were honest about it or not when looking to me for a job or for my vote. and i probably do care even more about what you might have posted just weeks or months ago when looking to me for a job or for my vote.

if you don't think something you post will reflect well on you even with the opportunity to explain and/or justify it, then don't post it.

^^^

Words to live by...

Only right now.

as initially posted, "the only difference between being off line and on line is that for some reason some people felt that personal accountability wouldn't/shouldn't apply online and that they could remain anonymous".

so yes, when you want me to vote for you or you want to work for me, i will check your references and your background and do a police check... and i will look at your on line history to see if anything there might help me to make up my mind about you.

i may not care what you might have posted years ago but i will probably care about whether you were honest about it or not when looking to me for a job or for my vote. and i probably do care even more about what you might have posted just weeks or months ago when looking to me for a job or for my vote.

if you don't think something you post will reflect well on you even with the opportunity to explain and/or justify it, then don't post it.
    Or choose an anonymous forum that should be more forgiving of mental and verbalslip-ups and choose a forum that openly permits and hopefully even encourages people to change their stance as the times and facts change.

However, use your real name and I feel that you will very likely be held to account today for a position taken many years ago - that you may have long since abandoned.

Words to live by...
    Note: Scona didn't say Scona practices that him/herself.
    Well, if the people lecturing the rest of us on the need for higher standards of decorum on C2E can't even be bothered to follow those standards themselves, it kinda makes their concerns seem a little less urgent, doesn't it? Since they apparently aren't really bothered enough to adjust their own behaviour.

I might be willing to listen to a co-worker lecture me on the evils of coming into work drunk. Not so much when I can smell the Scotch on his own breath.

First One is Always Free

Words to live by...
    No, but I'm not above point telling them to f--k off and get a job like the rest of us...or do those sentiments offend your bleeding heart sensibilities?
    No, I wouldn't be surprised either, it's bound to happen, probably
    Or run in an election and so someone devotes hours or days digging through some teenybopper's years old postings to find some controversial comments or photos.
    In politics, that is known as "ratf--king"...you think that it wasn't one of the other parties behind leaking whatshernames "offensive" Tweets/Facebook posts?
    Well, if the people lecturing the rest of us on the need for higher standards of decorum on C2E can't even be bothered to follow those standards themselves, it kinda makes their concerns seem a little less urgent, doesn't it? Since they apparently aren't really bothered enough to adjust their own behaviour.
    You know, I really couldn't give a s--t what you say on the internet, nor should you care about what I say. I wasn't lecturing anybody about decorum, I was merely making an observation. I'm an extremely outspoken and opinionated person by nature...if you or anybody else has an issue with my opinions, feel free to put me on ignore if what I say offends yer sensibilities. Simple as that.

Words to live by...
    No, but I'm not above point telling them to f--k off and get a job like the rest of us...or do those sentiments offend your bleeding heart sensibilities?
    Or run in an election and so someone devotes hours or days digging through some teenybopper's years old postings to find some controversial comments or photos.
    In politics, that is known as "ratf--king"...you think that it wasn't one of the other parties behind leaking whatshernames "offensive" Tweets/Facebook posts?
    You know, I really couldn't give a s--t what you say on the internet, nor should you care about what I say. I wasn't lecturing anybody about decorum, I was merely making an observation. I'm an extremely outspoken and opinionated person by nature...if you or anybody else has an issue with my opinions, feel free to put me on ignore if what I say offends yer sensibilities. Simple as that.
    So, you weren't expressing an opinion, just making an observation, when you wrote...

"Seems like it happens pretty often though (hell, I notice it, and I'm still fairly new here!), as these things do on internet forums. Sadly, it's easy to talk sh-t when yer a faceless member of a discussion forum, hiding behind a computer.

Words to live by...

END QUOTE

Sorry, but saying "sadly" and "words to live by" puts your commentary into the realm of opinion. You think it's sad that people are posting in a certain manner, and you would like us to follow your advice about how to post. But since you're not even following that advide yourself, it's kind of hard to take your concerns seriously.

And now you're calling me a "bleeding-heart"? That's fine by me, but why bother claiming that you care about these rules for internet nicety, when you so clearly don't?
    Last edited by overoceans; 01-02-2016 at 08:19 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I wonder if this thread will be locked by Groundhog Day?

First One is Always Free

but why bother claiming that you care about these rules for internet nicety, when you so clearly don't?
    Because I don't, that's why!

One more time, just in case you didn't get it the first time around:

Partially Addicted to C2E

^ Ultimately you showup on this forum, seemingly with the intent to prove yourself to be politically incorrect and as crass as can be, you have no issues with threats of violence against people, even death, mock those who remark on the fact that your comments are disturbing, and with an odd superiority complex to boot. Trolling I guess. IMO you've set a new low on C2E regarding intelligent discussion on this forum.

But, as you've suggested, 'yer' on my ignore list.

Even though I'm a rare contributor I'm actually ready to pull the plug on this forum. But so be it.

but why bother claiming that you care about these rules for internet nicety, when you so clearly don't?
    Because I don't, that's why!

One more time, just in case you didn't get it the first time around:
    I asked you why you bother claiming to care about internet niceties, and you reply that you don't care about them? That's not even an answer to the question I asked.

And just in case you didn't get it...

Nothing you say here offends my sensibilites. Professional "political incorrectness" is all over the place on the internet, hardly a shocking novelty to me. But yes, you WERE lecturing people on decorum("Words to live by..."), and now you're trying to pretend that's not what you were doing, because it gets in the way of your "opinionated and outspoken" schtick.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Norender View Post
    ^ Ultimately you showup on this forum, seemingly with the intent to prove yourself to be politically incorrect and as crass as can be, you have no issues with threats of violence against people, even death, mock those who remark on the fact that your comments are disturbing, and with an odd superiority complex to boot. Trolling I guess. IMO you've set a new low on C2E regarding intelligent discussion on this forum.
    Right on all counts except for the trolling, sport. I had no idea that this forum was so inundated with people who have the mindset that the world is all puppies, rainbows and unicorns. 'Cos it ain't. And that for somebody like me -who indeed is as crass, politically incorrect and misanthropic as they come- to come along and go against the grain...priceless!
    Somehow I really doubt that. I'm probably the most entertainment you've seen in a long time. Admit it, Norender, you can't wait to see what I have to say or who I pi-s off next.
    Even though I'm a rare contributor I'm actually ready to pull the plug on this forum. But so be it.
    Don't let the door hit ya on the way out, buddy! Not that I expect you'll actually leave...or simply rejoin under a new name, right?
    Nothing you say here offends my sensibilites. Professional "political incorrectness" is all over the place on the internet, hardly a shocking novelty to me. But yes, you WERE lecturing people on decorum("Words to live by..."), and now you're trying to pretend that's not what you were doing, because it gets in the way of your "opinionated and outspoken" schtick.
    Seriously, why do you care so f--king much about this? Let it go already, before you have a stroke brought on by self-righteous indignation...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

"...crass, politically incorrect and misanthropic as they come- to come along and go against the grain..."???

we already have a poster who has staked out that role as his own.

except he does it in the third person with more profanity.

but with fewer words.

^and 100% more fun.

Right on all counts except for the trolling, sport. I had no idea that this forum was so inundated with people who have the mindset that the world is all puppies, rainbows and unicorns. 'Cos it ain't. And that for somebody like me -who indeed is as crass, politically incorrect and misanthropic as they come- to come along and go against the grain...priceless!
    Somehow I really doubt that. I'm probably the most entertainment you've seen in a long time. Admit it, Norender, you can't wait to see what I have to say or who I pi-s off next.
    Don't let the door hit ya on the way out, buddy! Not that I expect you'll actually leave...or simply rejoin under a new name, right?
    Seriously, why do you care so f--king much about this? Let it go already, before you have a stroke brought on by self-righteous indignation...
    Who's having a stroke? I actually think it's pretty funny that on this thread we've been schooled on internet decorum by the Jailbait Porn website, and now by a guy whose calling card is "Take the homeless out back and beat them with baseball bats".

I just think it's good for any potential allies you may have, ie. people who may actually believe what they say about on-line politeness, to know what your real agenda is.

Other than that, keep up the comedy.

Scona, Class of '94 seems to be the definition of Internet Tough Guy. All chirp no action. And any human who think taking baseballs bats to homeless people is a goof anyways. <3
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Scona, Class of '94 seems to be the definition of Internet Tough Guy. All chirp no action. And any human who think taking baseballs bats to homeless people is a goof anyways. <3
    Likely just trying to be funny, irreverent and obviously controversial. If not, then my very uneducated guess is that such attitudes most often just reflect an entitlement syndrome or what they're now calling affluenza. Spoiled kids growing up, getting schooling, food and shelter, etc. - all enabling access to employment without any significant setbacks, black marks on their record, traumas and the like along the way. If you never spend more than a second thinking about, let alone walking in someone else's shoes, you can expect that depth of thought and opinion. If honestly stated and serious though, such attitudes and potential lack of recognition of others hardships, impairments and impairments has to make one wonder about a potential cognitive impairment right there as well.

The strange thing is this attitude came up recently. I'm guessing job loss, maybe a divorce or lack of a blow job.

Words to live by...
    This is like Scona fail. You make teachers and their kittens cry.

Words to live by...
    This is like Scona fail. You make teachers and their kittens cry.
    I imagine what makes teachers cry is their insight into what future lays ahead of some students.

Then there's those who don't 'tolerate fools lightly', who are themselves, people with severely limited insight into the minds of those around them. Even more so because they don't even comprehend their own failing to recognize this.
    Last edited by KC; 04-02-2016 at 10:48 PM.

Likely just trying to be funny, irreverent and obviously controversial. If not, then my very uneducated guess is that such attitudes most often just reflect an entitlement syndrome or what they're now calling affluenza. Spoiled kids growing up, getting schooling, food and shelter, etc. - all enabling access to employment without any significant setbacks, black marks on their record, traumas and the like along the way. If you never spend more than a second thinking about, let alone walking in someone else's shoes, you can expect that depth of thought and opinion. If honestly stated and serious though, such attitudes and potential lack of recognition of others hardships, impairments and impairments has to make one wonder about a potential cognitive impairment right there as well.
    I don't know about the Affluenza theory here. I get definite New Scona, rather than Old Scona, vibes from the guy.

^ That's a joke, no need to take my snobbery at face value. I graduated, non-matric, from a high school that was even lower-brow than New Scona.

^ That's a joke, no need to take my snobbery at face value. I graduated, non-matric, from a high school that was even lower-brow than New Scona.
    I'm not. My sense of humour is often a bit dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    The strange thing is this attitude came up recently. I'm guessing job loss, maybe a divorce or lack of a blow job.
    Heh. It's the same shtick that's appeared periodically over the years under other IDs, assumedly from the same individual.

Wagner ?

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Over the past six months to one year I have noticed that the tone of conversation has worsened on C2E.

In particular, there is an active thread with an antagonistic title. Furthermore, many posters become highly defensive when their ideas are criticized. Personal attacks are common when this occurs.

In my view, this phenomenon cheapens the whole site. I want to ask all users to reconsider what they type before they post it.

I also will be more vigilant about my own language. And I will press the report post button more often. Let's all practice some self moderation. And let's be more proactive about reporting conversations that are derailing.
    When I wrote a note (#96), on the OP, above, I was thinking just about the big picture, not having experienced myself what actually is going on. I mostly follow business / finance / economy / tech, so beside the nasty exchanges in the politics section, I was not aware of the problems.

Now, I have come to realize (following the DT parking lot thread) that some posters lack "empathy". This is how it works. They don't actually read your posts and instead project their beliefs on your comments (see what they want to see, not what is written). Example: In the DT parking piece I said there is a mis-match between price and quality of service. It was read as "I feel entitled to have cheap parking in DT".

Then, they extrapolate their misjudged reading of what you wrote to come to a false conclusion which they can attack. Example from same above: Now "I am asking for free parking everywhere in DT, and six lane roads etc.

So no actual dialogue happens. Total lack of "Empathy".

Do I need in every comment I post, provide anecdotal evidence to justify my choices. Maybe, just maybe, I have done my analysis of trade-offs and made a choice. Maybe, just maybe, I don't like the look and feel of those gravel parking lots. Maybe, just maybe, I have lived in a couple of global metropolitan cities and know how to use a public transit system. Maybe, just maybe, I do care about environment as much as anyone. Maybe, just maybe, I spend more time in DT, than I have time to enjoy my kids and family (excluding the sleep time, if you want to be picky). Maybe, just maybe, I care about Edmonton. Maybe I called it home now. Just maybe.

But that shouldn't matter. Criticism is welcome, when fair and constructive. If we actually bother to read other peoples' comments, and if it has a logic to it, that should be all that is needed. not my personal life stories. My credibility is in how I think (and post), not if I eat organic salads with fruit smoothies for lunch.

highlander

^ I Thought that you were perfectly clear about your specific issues with receiving poor service, and I appreciate your perspective.

I, also, am a Family Man.

edit:
    I don't think it's as much lack of empathy as it is poor reading comprehension and/or not reading a comment through before commenting. There's a lot of jumping to conclusions going on all the time.
    Last edited by highlander; 03-03-2016 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    Over the past six months to one year I have noticed that the tone of conversation has worsened on C2E.

In particular, there is an active thread with an antagonistic title. Furthermore, many posters become highly defensive when their ideas are criticized. Personal attacks are common when this occurs.

In my view, this phenomenon cheapens the whole site. I want to ask all users to reconsider what they type before they post it.

I also will be more vigilant about my own language. And I will press the report post button more often. Let's all practice some self moderation. And let's be more proactive about reporting conversations that are derailing.
    When I wrote a note (#96), on the OP, above, I was thinking just about the big picture, not having experienced myself what actually is going on. I mostly follow business / finance / economy / tech, so beside the nasty exchanges in the politics section, I was not aware of the problems.

Now, I have come to realize (following the DT parking lot thread) that some posters lack "empathy". This is how it works. They don't actually read your posts and instead project their beliefs on your comments (see what they want to see, not what is written). Example: In the DT parking piece I said there is a mis-match between price and quality of service. It was read as "I feel entitled to have cheap parking in DT".

Then, they extrapolate their misjudged reading of what you wrote to come to a false conclusion which they can attack. Example from same above: Now "I am asking for free parking everywhere in DT, and six lane roads etc.

So no actual dialogue happens. Total lack of "Empathy".

Do I need in every comment I post, provide anecdotal evidence to justify my choices. Maybe, just maybe, I have done my analysis of trade-offs and made a choice. Maybe, just maybe, I don't like the look and feel of those gravel parking lots. Maybe, just maybe, I have lived in a couple of global metropolitan cities and know how to use a public transit system. Maybe, just maybe, I do care about environment as much as anyone. Maybe, just maybe, I spend more time in DT, than I have time to enjoy my kids and family (excluding the sleep time, if you want to be picky). Maybe, just maybe, I care about Edmonton. Maybe I called it home now. Just maybe.

But that shouldn't matter. Criticism is welcome, when fair and constructive. If we actually bother to read other peoples' comments, and if it has a logic to it, that should be all that is needed. not my personal life stories. My credibility is in how I think (and post), not if I eat organic salads with fruit smoothies for lunch.
    Excellent post expressing what I believe would be the feelings of many, including me.

T

Thanks Thomas. I wanted to also thank for your valid points in the parking thread, but as I chose not to post there, I say thanks here.

^^^ thanks. I do hope you are right and that's all just a lack of interest in reading other peoples' comments. Otherwise, it feels like those not having experienced raising kids themselves are trying to find solutions without knowing family choices are or how (using what factors) they are made. I mean I have been younger and single before and I know you see the world differently. When married, my choices started to change. When kids came change again. As they grow, changes again. So it is very different if you experience it or just see it on TV and think you know what it takes worse if you try to impose your solutions on others without knowing....

^^^ thanks. I do hope you are right and that's all just a lack of interest in reading other peoples' comments. Otherwise, it feels like those not having experienced raising kids themselves are trying to find solutions without knowing family choices are or how (using what factors) they are made. I mean I have been younger and single before and I know you see the world differently. When married, my choices started to change. When kids came change again. As they grow, changes again. So it is very different if you experience it or just see it on TV and think you know what it takes worse if you try to impose your solutions on others without knowing....
    Hey, are you calling all young people stupid? ( I do. ) Most "empathy" is just personal experience catching up with them. We only walk in our own shoes.

I have a complaint about the tone of conversation.

It is incredibly frustrating that some posters feel that they can enter conversations, then shut down any discussion derived from their comments.

This is supposed to be an open environment in which ideas are discussed and challenged. Instead, we have people weighing in on topics with their observations, then actively attempting to shut down any counterargument by drawing lines in the sand and refusing to engage.

When you comment on a subject, you should expect your ideas to be fleshed out. If those ideas involve controversial impacts or ramifications, you should expect them to be challenged. I certainly do for my own posts.

Being challenged on what you post is not an example of "downtown attitude", and drawing lines between posters based on geography / insulting them for what you perceive their attributes to be is not conducive to the site. For instance, I am not a "latte sipping hipster", I do not "hate the suburbs", and I do not "loathe people who drive cars" (I have a car myself) simply because I challenge people's ideas.

Debate is healthy. Drawing lines in the sand, refusing to engage discussion based on your ideas, insulting other posters based on what you assume their personality to be given their neighbourhood, and constantly threatening to "take your ball and go home" are not.

When I respond to your posts, I am doing so because I want to talk to you. Sometimes it is because I fully agree with your posts. Other times, because I am a very contrarian individual and this is my outlet for urban issues, it is because I disagree with you, or because I see potential issues in what you are stating.

That does not mean I am insulting you. It does not mean I am trying to shut you down. It means that I valued your post and thought it important enough to respond to. Please don't react by shutting down debate, calling names, and leaving.
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 04-03-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Jaerdo,

As I said above, I don't have any problems with criticism and disagreements. I understand your good intention, and I mentioned that the problem is you don't actually read my comments. So a conversation becomes very taxing, if every time I need to correct your reading. Several other posters pointed out the same about your subsequent posts. I didn't call names, I respect every way and walk of life, I have been more than a tourist in 3 continents so I have seen different cultures. Again the reason to leave that thread was to avoid dragging on a not constructive exchange, when I thought it was not going anywhere. I keep posting on c2e, as you can see, and am moving on with that parking lot discussion. If I would have anything of value to add there, I will do.

I'm sorry if I made it feel taxing. I was implying something from your complaints that you clearly didn't mean. Living around these lots and hearing complaints constantly that turn to that result makes one very defensive about it, so that is my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    ^ I Thought that you were perfectly clear about your specific issues with receiving poor service, and I appreciate your perspective.

I, also, am a Family Man.

edit:
    I don't think it's as much lack of empathy as it is poor reading comprehension and/or not reading a comment through before commenting. There's a lot of jumping to conclusions going on all the time.
    I don't even give it that much credit. Theres posters here that habitually jump to strawman arguments purposely. Its not misinterpretation or not reading, its going on regularly. If you follow some posters it happens a lot.

They'll be along shortly to confirm that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-03-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Jaerdo,

As I said above, I don't have any problems with criticism and disagreements. I understand your good intention, and I mentioned that the problem is you don't actually read my comments. So a conversation becomes very taxing, if every time I need to correct your reading. Several other posters pointed out the same about your subsequent posts. I didn't call names, I respect every way and walk of life, I have been more than a tourist in 3 continents so I have seen different cultures. Again the reason to leave that thread was to avoid dragging on a not constructive exchange, when I thought it was not going anywhere. I keep posting on c2e, as you can see, and am moving on with that parking lot discussion. If I would have anything of value to add there, I will do.
    So wait, just a month ago here in this very thread you rebuked my similar theme in a post as if to say the views and concerns I had expressed were not of any significance and here you are in posts in the same thread a month later complaining about the very similar things.

I dunno, I'm a bit put off by that tbh.

I didn't feel as if I my posts on this theme were "read" by you at all a month ago. I felt the concerns were disregarded and shouted out in this same thread.

With respect to Thomas who was one of the few that actually concurred on the concerns and is being consistent on the matter.

ps, also, I felt this post by you in that thread contained a lot of tone;

Originally Posted by FamilyMan
    It is ironic that despite your intentions, it is exactly people like you and IanO who make DownTown not-family-friendly. You simply don't understand the choices a family has to make. It is not about if I can afford it. My post was a rant on the mis-match between price and quality of service, not just the price. But don't you worry, this was my last post on this thread.
    Really I stopped reading at that point. Posters that online post about "people like you who make downtown not family-friendly" cause me to believe a poster is jumping to conclusion at best.

I know how people post, I don't presume to know what people here are actually like. I prefer they do the same with me or anybody else.

But that thread contains all kinds of "tone" and it seems as if you initiated some of that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-03-2016 at 02:30 PM.

^ my post #96, was not about your specific comments (and I don't know why you assume it was dismissing your comments). My comments was about the gist of discussions of thread: that the tone of discussions are discouraging more people to voice their opinion. However, as you can see, I wrote at the start of post #166:

On the parking lot thread, again my reasoning for my conclusion is along the lines posted on post #170. It might not be a 100% correct conclusion, but it is based on what I read. My issue was, they made a conclusion that I didn't write (see post 175). As you can see above the misunderstandings are resolved.

^Well, just the same I'll continue to have concerns when posters preface rebuttal with "Its exactly people like you" while participating in a largely anonymous online forum wherein people know essentially very little about each other.

i'm not sure how one could even be unaware of the uncalled for presumption contained in that kind of message.

As a rule in communication, and especially online communication, when you resort to "people like you" epitaphs voiced in a negative framed context you've stopped just short of name calling. Actually imo far worse.

I'm not sure why you were not called on that but I'm doing it now. If you want to take responsibility and address that it was improper to state that you can do that now.
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-03-2016 at 02:41 PM.

^ yeah, are you trying to create something out of nothing? You remind me of this scene from Anger Management movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1ICQK7WpY

^ yeah, are you trying to create something out of nothing? You remind me of this scene from Anger Management movie.

If you don't understand how unpleasant and problematic your stated "its exactly people like you and IanO that make downtown family unfriendly" dismissal is then I guess bringing it to your attention isn't anymore helpful.

"People like you" stated in negative syntax, is nearly always dismissive, distorted, and presumptive.

Whoever it be stating that type of preamble.

You don't know Ian, or the other poster correct? Why did you presume to know what they do and how it makes downtown "family unfriendly"?
    Last edited by Replacement; 04-03-2016 at 02:57 PM.

If you don't understand how unpleasant and problematic your stated "its exactly people like you and IanO that make downtown family unfriendly" dismissal is then I guess bringing it to your attention isn't anymore helpful.

"People like you" stated in negative syntax, is nearly always dismissive, distorted, and presumptive.

Whoever it be stating that type of preamble.

You don't know Ian, or the other poster correct? Why did you presume to know what they do and how it makes downtown "family unfriendly"?
    Replacement

You know how long I've been on here and how I try to reflect my true personality in my on line persona.

You also know that I participated through the airport debate and managed for the most part to maintain composure regardless of responses.

The difference I see now vs the worst of the airport debate is that we have a select number of participants that rather than respond to what is written in a post they prefer to respond to what they want the post to say in a very aggressive methodology.

In some cases I have met these folks off line on occasion and they are not the same person in the flesh...on the other hand their online persona is their own worst enemy and (for the most part) as we don't know each other offline we can only react to the personality and style they post with. After a period of time...you come to know them, good or bad, and their style/personality, good or bad, online.

Eventually out of frustration you will react to it...as I recently have after repeated attacks.

Even at the height of the airport debate, a very vitriolic and heated argument, we did not see the level of "inserting words into posters mouths" that we see now, they responded to what was written and made the effort to read the post.

In the airport debate folks generally, often very passionately or anger induced, responded to what a poster had written (other than relatively rare instances).

Now it is also often accompanied by a very self righteous attitude, something else that is becoming new feature in some cases.

This change is one of the reasons I do not post as I used to and/or will walk away from a discussion. Occasionally I get provoked far enough and push back, but make a huge effort to not to (but sometimes fail).

Till we see a change in some styles or a better reflection of select posters true personality I fear it will continue.

The way I see it unfortunately.

Be great to see your response...and then for me it's a C2E break for sanity.

T
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 04-03-2016 at 03:53 PM.

Not much to add Tom.

Just that assuming negative connotation about other people and what they are like is of course worse than "putting words in their mouths". Anybody can at least rebuke, or correct that. Its very difficult to rebuke unshakable presumption regarding others. The latter being a greater concern.

Anyway point was already made and in that respect I'm dropping it. No need to repeat myself further. If you wanted to take up the topic in the future or in PM I'd be fine with that but I don't think your profile allows PM.'s

cheers

You know who you r:

Personality influences how one reacts to email errors
    March 30, 2016

Extroverted people are likely to overlook typos and grammatical errors that would cause introverted people to judge the person who makes such errors more negatively.

In addition, less agreeable people are more sensitive to grammatical errors, while more conscientious and less open people are sensitive to typos, the researchers said.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0330122927.htm
    Someone here's into labels big time:
    http://www.theapricity.com/forum/sho...-With-pictures!
    Last edited by KC; 03-04-2016 at 12:53 PM.

That's me! Nevermind, I'm an awful speller.

I'm always amazed at how easily threads get sent off on some tangent and the OP becomes meaningless.

I see that the Chinese employ this as a deliberate tactic. I wonder if c2e posters do so as well.

China 'flooding' social media with fake posts

"They do not step up to defend the government, its leaders, and their policies from criticism, no matter how vitriolic; indeed, they seem to avoid controversial issues entirely," said the paper.

"Letting an argument die, or changing the subject, usually works much better than picking an argument and getting someone's back up," it said.

More often Communist Party workers or ordinary citizens employed to post on behalf of the government engage in "cheerleading" about the state's achievements or its history.

There were good psychological reasons for using distraction rather than censorship or counter-arguments, the paper said.

"Since censorship alone seems to anger people, the 50c astroturfing program [entailing creation of fake grassroots content] has the additional advantage of enabling the government to actively control opinion without having to censor as much as they might otherwise," the authors

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36340514
    Last edited by KC; 22-05-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

is it just me or has the tone in general become more civil since the fort mcmurray fire?

not more agreeable (which is fine) but more civil?

I think the fire has put a lot of things into perspective for a lot of people.

Top_Dawg is not worried.

Mother nature can't usurp human nature.

You sapiens will resume your ubiquitous self serving gaping azzhole ways soon enough.

Just wait 'til the insurance claims start being filed.

^ hey, go fawk yourself.

There is that better?

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg is not worried.

Mother nature can't usurp human nature.

You sapiens will resume your ubiquitous self serving gaping azzhole ways soon enough.

Just wait 'til the insurance claims start being filed.

^ hey, go fawk yourself.

There is that better?

Sounds like you guys are saying humans are real mother fawkers.

Forget the claims, they already can't get enough volunteers to help the Ft. M. refugees.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...-evacuees.html

~
    Last edited by KC; 28-05-2016 at 07:32 PM.

^It appears some people want the world to be a boring colour of beige.

If 90% + people do it, possibly in everyday conversation, why not treat the words like any other words. Counter-intuitively removing the phoney taboo might even make swearing a rather useless device.

Swearing at work might be good for your career
    Is it time to lighten up about four-letter words at work? Some argue that cursing can have its advantages.
    http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201...or-your-career
    Last edited by KC; 06-08-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Very sexist!
    Frosty the snowwomen.

What you'll see is that many times females brush their fingers against each other,"

See below

Men have evolved better 'making up' skills

Men's historical dominance of the workplace may, in part, be because of their ability to reconcile with enemies after conflict, a new study suggests.

Researchers examined the aftermath of same-sex sporting events and found that men spent longer talking, touching or embracing their opponents than women.
    These efforts to patch things up ensure the males can then co-operate more successfully in the future.

What you'll see is that many times females brush their fingers against each other," said lead author Prof Joyce Benenson from Emmanuel College and Harvard University.

"You're expected by the sport to do something but it's so frosty. However, with the males even with a handshake you can see the warmth, the tightness of it.

Other researchers say that this is an "impressive" study.

"That men are more likely to ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36969103
    Last edited by KC; 06-08-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Got an interesting one here. Involving my own posting, so admittedly maybe that's why I find it interesting. So, here's my posting (minus photos) and Sonic Death Monkey's response to my posting.

"just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are" - Sonic Death Monkey.

I've seen this style of conversation used many times on c2e.

Your thoughts and impressions people? They are just words, so do they add worthwhile "dramatic effect", humour, spunk, etc. or is there a better way to deal with comments you feel waste your time, or challenge your lack of fun and humour, etc.?

Re-purpose of Old Remand Centre
    I was thinking about the lack of imagination being applied to the old remand building when I had the thought:

What would it look like with a high peak roofline like the Hotel MacDonald?

That, or a big circular dish as you'd see in Jetsen's or other sci-for futuristic cartoons and shoes.

You can see how the old annex was a "total fail" because of the flat roof. Put a gable / peaked roof on the old remand and imagine the visual difference that would make.

I just took s few seconds to pull up photos but a close match might show the potential similarities and potential mods to the remand that might make it an interesting building

Anyone here with any good creative rendering skills?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really don't see the point in putting a Hotel Mac roof on top of the Remand. It would be pig lipstick at best.
    And to even compare the two buildings just goes to show how laughably clueless some people on this board are.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...-Remand-Centre

They're a fact of life on this and any other board/forum/blog. Some folks just need to denigrate others to feel superior, quite often with very patterned, almost meme-like phrases that do more to please the sender than trouble the receiver. Check out Breitbart to see some serious exercising of this form of commentary.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Comments like SDM just confirm the posters here that can't defend a position. The attack, chronic, is used instead of an actual rebuttal, or reply.

More technically its Confirmation bias, circular tautology, or even cognitive dissonance on display.

Not sure why SDM would figure a reply like that is required. Silly, stupid idea would suffice...

Comments like SDM just confirm the posters here that can't defend a position. The attack, chronic, is used instead of an actual rebuttal, or reply.

More technically its Confirmation bias, circular tautology, or even cognitive dissonance on display.

Not sure why SDM would figure a reply like that is required. Silly, stupid idea would suffice...
    Attacking sometimes works quite well - that's why it is used. It serves as an effective distraction too. However, "sorry, silly stupid idea" still doesn't seem to meet the sniff test either as it doesn't suffice in terms thoughtful or intelligent constructive criticism. Unfortunately, it's like the non sequiturs such as; 'you can't compare' apples to oranges, Trump to Hitler, Quayle to Kennedy, women's experiences to men's, and so on.

@post 196

I would consider a reply like SDM's out-of-the-blue obnoxious, unless there were some sort of history between the two posters, where they had already been constantly at each other's throats for a period. But even then, if someone want to continue with that sort of vendetta, it's a good idea to indicate that context in the reply, eg. "And you were the guy calling MY idea's stupid in that other thread?!"

But as I've said before, C2E is a Montessori daycare compared to almost any other discussion forum that I've been on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast