Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The C2E Movie thread

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default The Movie thread

So, C2E, which movies are you looking forward to seeing in the next year or so? Any recent ones you've seen you're looking forward to?

You can post reviews, but no spoilers.

Being a geek, I will go see the new Star Wars next week for sure. In the next year, I am looking forward to the new Captain America and X-Men films plus Batman v Superman.

Also want to see Hateful Eight by Tarantino.

Jungle Book looks interesting, as does the Ghostbusters revamp.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 13-12-2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: changed the thread title to appease the smartass grammar nazis here
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

darn... i thought this thread was going to be about a movie about c2e, not a c2e thread about movies.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    darn... i thought this thread was going to be about a movie about c2e, not a c2e thread about movies.

Me as well. Maybe we are on to something here. A working title could be..... " The potholes from hell "
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Independence Day 2

Get on board this hype train!

https://vid.me/lvBw
    be offended! figure out why later...

^ Thanks, was wondering when they'd get around to a sequel.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sequel? Judging by the trailer, looks like a complete redo of the original. Meh.

I'm hoping they do more music bio's like Staright Outta Compton from August. That was a really good movie and brought me out to a theater for the first time in about 10 years. Run DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie's... all possible.

But I don't pretend to be a movie guy.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    So, C2E, which movies are you looking forward to seeing in the next year or so? Any recent ones you've seen you're looking forward to?

You can post reviews, but no spoilers.

Being a geek, I will go see the new Star Wars next week for sure. In the next year, I am looking forward to the new Captain America and X-Men films plus Batman v Superman.

Also want to see Hateful Eight by Tarantino.

Jungle Book looks interesting, as does the Ghostbusters revamp.
    Batman V Superman, although I dont like how they made such an awesome trilogy remake of the batman franchise, making it dark and for adults, and now they change the actor for batman to Ben Afleck.

Would have been awesome if this would be a fourth movie woth Christain Bale as batman again and bringing in Henry Cavill as superman (like they did). If Ben Afleck needed to be in it, maybe the role of Lex Luther would have been more suited to him.

Sure to be an awesome movie either way though.

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    Independence Day 2

Looking forward to this one as well, disappointed they weren't able to get Will Smith to play a role in it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

Me as well. Maybe we are on to something here. A working title could be..... " The potholes from hell "
    On most days in some threads it's more like "The Voyage of the Damned".
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Just last weekend at the Princess Theatre I saw "Legend" and "Trumbo" - both good and worth seeing.

Upcoming movies at the Princess include "Youth" (looks good from the trailer), and I hear good things about "Room".

(not to be confused with "The Room" - [email protected] movie with a cult following!)

I usually wait for the movies to come on Shomi or Netflix. Princess does show some good shows though. Youth does look promising although a lot of movies do not live up to the hype. I just watched St Vincent and a movie on Netflix called Life's a Breeze. Two pretty entertaining shows.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I think my all-time favourite that I've seen already (twice) was Pixar's Inside Out. Not the best Pixar offering out there, but certainly the most poignant and emotional one.

I'm also looking forward to:

- Zootopia

- Secret Life of Pets

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    Independence Day 2

Looking forward to this one as well, disappointed they weren't able to get Will Smith to play a role in it though.
    The guy he played in the first one died in a testing flight aprently of the f22/ailen hybrid ship everyone on reddit is raging bout it as well.
    http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/12/1...acter-revealed

'The Nice Guys'

'Brooklyn'

'Zoolander 2'
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    The Danish Girl
    Hateful Eight
    Captain America: Civil War
    Deadpool
    Batman V Superman
    Suicide Squad

Im off to Star Wars on Saturday, I'm excited about it, but will probably be disappointed (hope not, but last three made were terrible, even the fourth last with the teddy bear ewoks to sell toys was a bit sad). To be honest, other than big action flicks which are better on the big screen, I'd rather watch a movie on Netflix. For example, something like Danish girl, I don't see the point in going to the theatre and spending a lot of money, versus being a little patient.
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-12-2015 at 07:10 AM.

^+1
    www.decl.org

I get most of mine from the library. We did see The Martian, and Spotlight. Both were very good

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Im off to Star Wars on Saturday, I'm excited about it, but will probably be disappointed (hope not, but last three made were terrible, even the fourth last with the teddy bear ewoks to sell toys was a bit sad). To be honest, other than big action flicks which are better on the big screen, I'd rather watch a movie on Netflix. For example, something like Danish girl, I don't see the point in going to the theatre and spending a lot of money, versus being a little patient.
    I have a feeling you are right about the new star wars, luke skywalker will be the new sith lord and that new droid (the round one) could have been omitted. I feel it's too cartoonish (think jar-jar binks) and was added to give children something to enjoy from the movie, as well as give merchandising something to sell.

Past and Recommended:
    • The Martian
    • Fury Road

Tickets already bought for:
    • Star Wars
    • Doctor Who Christmas Special
    • Sherlock: The Abominable Bride

Would like to see/looking forward too:
    • Trumbo
    • The Hateful Eight
    • Deadpool

Worried about:
    • Captain America: Civil War

Disappointed in new trailer and past two movies:
    • Star Trek

Could care less about:
    • Independence Day
    • Yet Another Batman Movie
    • Pretty much any movie from the DC Universe.

I have hope for the new Star Wars because JJ Abrams completely bungled Star Trek by making it into Star Wars. His style seems more fitting to the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars also seems to have a much better writing team including Lawrence Kasdan from Empire, Jedi, and Raiders.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Why is the hype over Star Wars ramping up? Isn't it the sixth or seven movie by now? I don't recall much hype for the last few. Good old corporate marketing maybe?

I do want to see it, eventually.

Seventh but the first in ten years. And the hype was huge for those as well.

Not to mention that this is a "real" Star Wars movie with Luke, Han, Leia, etc. Still a bit surreal to think about.

Mission impossible 5 dvd released today
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    I have a feeling you are right about the new star wars, luke skywalker will be the new sith lord and that new droid (the round one) could have been omitted. I feel it's too cartoonish (think jar-jar binks) and was added to give children something to enjoy from the movie, as well as give merchandising something to sell.
    Early reviews are very encouraging, some ranking it the second best movie

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-t...ws-early-buzz/

The problem for me is I was programmed as a child for these movies. Just hearing the music causes an involuntary goosebumps response that even the bad prequel movies hasn't stamped out. I don't even want to talk about what happened when Han appeared in the trailer saying "Chewie, we're home."

^ Paul, you can clean that up with a towel...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Could always watch Christmas in Wonderland it's the best of YEG

97% on Rotten Tomatoes so far: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star...force_awakens/

And with that, I'm out of this thread until I see it on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    The problem for me is I was programmed as a child for these movies. Just hearing the music causes an involuntary goosebumps response that even the bad prequel movies hasn't stamped out. I don't even want to talk about what happened when Han appeared in the trailer saying "Chewie, we're home."

Um well, if that's the case "May the Force be with you".

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Good triumphing over evil using "supernatural" powers that can't be explained in the natural... fitting that the release is just before Christmas.

^Kinda like A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Peoples imaginations are awesome.

C2E Posting Power

It's no coincidence that we humans are all "programmed" with the internal moral code that long to see good triumph over evil.

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Hits $50 Million-Plus Thursday Night in U.S.

I would guess most of these are going to fall:

• Largest Thursday Preshow: $43.5 million (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2*)
    • Largest Friday, Opening Day, Single Day: $91 million (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2)
    • Largest Saturday: $69.6 million (Jurassic World)
    • Largest Sunday: $57.2 million (Jurassic World)
    • December Single Day: $37.13 million (The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)
    • December Opening Weekend: $84.62 million (The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey)
    • Domestic Opening Weekend: $208.8 million (Jurassic World)
    • International Opening Weekend: $316.1 million (Jurassic World)
    • Global Opening Weekend: $524.9 million (Jurassic World)
    • Highest Per Theater Average (Wide Opening): $48,855 / 4,274 theaters (Jurassic World)
    • Top Opening Weekend for PG-13 Rated Film: $208.8 million (Jurassic World)
    • Top Holiday Opening Weekend**: $158 million (The Hunger Games: Catching Fire)
    • #1 Movie Weekend Market Share: 84.5% of Top 12 (Avengers: Age of Ultron)
    • Biggest Weekend Overall (Top 12 Gross): $266 million (June 12-14, 2015)
    • Biggest December Weekend (Top 12 Gross): $259.9 million (Dec 25-27, 2009)
    • Fastest to $100 Million: 2 Days (Jurassic World)

* Midnight only
    ** Holiday is defined as the first Friday in November through New Year's week or weekend.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    Good triumphing over evil using "supernatural" powers that can't be explained in the natural... fitting that the release is just before Christmas.
    Yup, 'tis the season of fairy tales.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    "For the message about the cross is nonsense to those who are being destroyed, but it is God's power to us who are being saved." (written by a guy named Paul in the first century sorry didn't get his last name).

Judging from all the sophomoric movies being discussed its a wonder I ever go to movies anymore. The experience is much like viewing this thread. 12 options to choose and long hard thoughts about what if anything is remotely interesting to see before you just walk out looking for something else to do.

I don't think theres one title out there that I find at least even remotely riveting.

This non stop affectation with comics, space cowboys and mindless sequels is the scourge of Hollywood. But at the same time the lowest denominator that it panders to.

May the force be with you all I guess..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^get over yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Judging from all the sophomoric movies being discussed its a wonder I ever go to movies anymore. The experience is much like viewing this thread. 12 options to choose and long hard thoughts about what if anything is remotely interesting to see before you just walk out looking for something else to do.

I don't think theres one title out there that I find at least even remotely riveting.

This non stop affectation with comics, space cowboys and mindless sequels is the scourge of Hollywood. But at the same time the lowest denominator that it panders to.

Feel free to list the movies you like so we can deride them too.

There's a range of movies out there from the escapist to the serious if you look. Even of the movies listed above there are at least seven mentioned that have nothing to do with "comics, space cowboys and mindless sequels".

Stuff that could be good on the serious front includes:

• In Heart of the Sea
    • Spotlight
    • Brooklyn
    • The Danish Girl
    • Trumbo
    • The Big Short
    • Legend
    • The Revenant
    • Black Mass
    • Joy

And I would personally recommend The Martian.

There's plenty out there if you care to look. Escapist fare will always dominate the box office but there are lots of other movies out there too.

^get over yourself
    The point is getting over elementary fascination with comic books, super heroes, and pandering to juvenile entertainment. For kids fine, I get it. But the usual 12 out of 12 movies in a theater being all about that is why a lot of adults don't bother going to movies anymore.
    One would think there could be a range of options available other than Batman 19, Star Wars 26 and Star Trek 49.

Sequels are generally artistic death. Hollywood largely being incapable of new ideas thus endless dreck product pushed out.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^have you ever thought that different people like different things?

Shocking I know.

I'm amazed you can go to movies at all Replacement, what with that high horse you're stuck on. Is it registered as a service animal?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Feel free to list the movies you like so we can deride them too.

There's a range of movies out there from the escapist to the serious if you look. Even of the movies listed above there are at least seven mentioned that have nothing to do with "comics, space cowboys and mindless sequels".

Stuff that could be good on the serious front includes:

• In Heart of the Sea
    • Spotlight
    • Brooklyn
    • The Danish Girl
    • Trumbo
    • The Big Short
    • Legend
    • The Revenant
    • Black Mass
    • Joy

And I would personally recommend The Martian.

There's plenty out there if you care to look. Escapist fare will always dominate the box office but there are lots of other movies out there too.
    Sorry but "The Martian" in particular is typical of todays Hollywood dreck. I won't watch that movie for free when it gets rotated endlessly on TV. Sitting through the preview had me ready to exit.

We've gone from Kubricks 2001 to stuff like Interstellar and The Martian being considered intelligent or thought provoking.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    "For the message about the cross is nonsense to those who are being destroyed, but it is God's power to us who are being saved." (written by a guy named Paul in the first century sorry didn't get his last name).
    "It's a horrible idea that God, this paragon of wisdom and knowledge, power, couldn't think of a better way to forgive us our sins than to come down to Earth in his alter ego as his son and have himself hideously tortured and executed so that he could forgive himself."

(written by a guy named Richard in the twenty first century sorry didn't get his last name)
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^get over yourself
    The point is getting over elementary fascination with comic books, super heroes, and pandering to juvenile entertainment. For kids fine, I get it. But the usual 12 out of 12 movies in a theater being all about that is why a lot of adults don't bother going to movies anymore.
    One would think there could be a range of options available other than Batman 19, Star Wars 26 and Star Trek 49.

Sequels are generally artistic death. Hollywood largely being incapable of new ideas thus endless dreck product pushed out.
    That's inward thinking. Science Fiction is another form of cinematography and fiction. Different people like different things. People who like Science Fiction are thinking this is what life could be like in the future, what's wrong with that?. Some people like to read cowboy books, Harlequin Romances, love stories, detective stories, horror stories
    etc. Sci-Fi is just another genre. Someone looking forward to the new Star Wars movie is no different from someone looking forward to seeing Bridget Jones's 3rd movie. If they like something they are going to look forward to seeing it or reading the book.

Sorry but "The Martian" in particular is typical of todays Hollywood dreck. I won't watch that movie for free when it gets rotated endlessly on TV. Sitting through the preview had me ready to exit.

We've gone from Kubricks 2001 to stuff like Interstellar and The Martian being considered intelligent or thought provoking.
    I really must learn this skill of determining the quality of a movie without ever watching it.

I don't think The Martian was ever held up as overly thought provoking but it's certainly atypical in the SF genre in it's mainly realistic portrayal of the space program, NASA, astronauts, and science. It certainly has little in common with Interstellar although Interstellar does have some commonality with 2001 by having a mystical, not very comprehensible final act.

If you're interested in thought provoking SF from the last few years I'd suggest 'Ex Machina', 'Moon', or 'Hanna'.

I think your perception of the movie industry now and in the past is bit distorted. Escapist movies have always dominated and not just for kids; and adults are apparently going to movies in record numbers. The escapism is dominated by comic book movies right now but that will likely swing to some other variant of action movie sooner or later. Sequels have been a constant for more than thirty years so even that isn't new.

In 2014 the share of tickets sold to 40-49 and 50-59 year olds were at all time highs, while the share of tickets sold to 60+ year olds (13%) was at its highest level since 2011.
    This is for the UK but the trend applies in North America as well:

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I'm amazed you can go to movies at all Replacement, what with that high horse you're stuck on. Is it registered as a service animal?
    If wanting Hollywood to put out better than endless formulaic dreck is my high horse then I'm glad to stay on it. Although shouldn't be in this thread. i'll let myself out, shouldn't have entered.

btw thanks Paul and Gemini for the responses. Just don't agree is all.

Out of curiosity I checked the lineup at our regular theatre and found:

SF/Fantasy: 2
    Action/Thriller: 1
    Drama: 2
    Kids: 3
    Horror: 1
    Comedy: 2

Out of those four were sequels of some sort or another. So we have three of eleven as either SF or Action and four of eleven as sequels. Not even close to all of them.

What you choose in the way of reading books and seeing movies is on line with what music you listen too. There is all kinds of music genres. Classic, pop, country western, punk, hip hop etc. I really don't get heavy metal but there are people who do. I don't think they are wrong for their choice though.

If wanting Hollywood to put out better than endless formulaic dreck is my high horse then I'm glad to stay on it. Although shouldn't be in this thread. i'll let myself out, shouldn't have entered.

Not a problem. Remember, just because something is not your taste does not mean it's crap. Everybody has different taste in what they watch, read and listen to. If everybody was the same life would be pretty boring.

No worries. I like these kinds of topics as I get to look up information on areas I don't always get in depth on. Always educational.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    What you choose in the way of reading books and seeing movies is on line with what music you listen too. There is all kinds of music genres. Classic, pop, country western, punk, hip hop etc. I really don't get heavy metal but there are people who do. I don't think they are wrong for their choice though.
    I said I was going to exit but...

The music industry I find is doing a pretty good job of adapting to a countless range in tastes. Predictably I'm not a pop fan but endless genres I am interested in. The range of music out there being dynamic, explosive, and with so much variety. it really does seem to cater to any taste and music range.

As far as Hollywood movies I would say in general that today they lack brilliance. For instance Stanley Kubrick is likely the best director that ever lived. Great to be around for his epoch but at the same time was spoiled by it.

He worked in several genres and aced every one. So that its not really SF or any specific genre that I find to be the issue. Its how well those genres are depicted and presented. It would make me cry to see Arthur C Clarke depicted by todays directors.

Another example is Horror. Endless directors have attempted Stephen King. Who did it better than the Shining? I don't even know its opinion either. Which directors today are better?

It would make me cry to see Arthur C Clarke depicted by todays directors.
    Oh-Oh.

Childhood's End (TV Mini-Series 2015)

Although I would say some of the best stuff being put to screen right now is on the small screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I said I was going to exit but...

The music industry I find is doing a pretty good job of adapting to a countless range in tastes. Predictably I'm not a pop fan but endless genres I am interested in. The range of music out there being dynamic, explosive, and with so much variety. it really does seem to cater to any taste and music range.

As far as Hollywood movies I would say in general that today they lack brilliance. For instance Stanley Kubrick is likely the best director that ever lived. Great to be around for his epoch but at the same time was spoiled by it.

He worked in several genres and aced every one. So that its not really SF or any specific genre that I find to be the issue. Its how well those genres are depicted and presented. It would make me cry to see Arthur C Clarke depicted by todays directors.

Another example is Horror. Endless directors have attempted Stephen King. Who did it better than the Shining? I don't even know its opinion either. Which directors today are better?
    To you they may lack brilliance, to others certain movies might be outstanding. You don't like sci-fi so you are not going to get the same thing from a sci-fi movie that a fan does. Sci-fi is not my favorite movie/book genre but I do see value in all the special effects, make up and costume. I also see that the people putting it together have vivid imaginations to dream up all this stuff. Yes directors play a big part in any movie but they are just part of it. There are the actors, prop designers, make up artists and a whole slew of other people behind the scene that we don't see. If someone asked you to go see Star Wars with them you already have a preconceived notion that you are not going to like it. Maybe if you went and looked at it from a different perspective you might find you do like it.

Now Replacement has me curious about opinions on great directors. Kubrick was great but who are the greats of this generation? If pressed to name one I'd cheat and say the Coen Brothers.

C2E Super Addict

Now Replacement has me curious about opinions on great directors. Kubrick was great but who are the greats of this generation? If pressed to name one I'd cheat and say the Coen Brothers.
    They would also be my choice.

Paul Thomas Anderson. David Lynch.
    Last edited by ajs; 18-12-2015 at 11:32 PM. Reason: adding

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wes Anderson has made some great movies, as well.

Star Wars notes: If you're a fan you should very much enjoy it.

^I loved it. The acting is much better than last three, and humour / tone / pace were spot on. Only thing I didn't like, is the story was a bit to similar to the original movie that started them all.

^I loved it. The acting is much better than last three, and humour / tone / pace were spot on. Only thing I didn't like, is the story was a bit to similar to the original movie that started them all.
    I generally didn't mind the echoing of the Episode IV except the few times it telegraphed a major reveal. That said, it was a lot of fun, well told, decently acted, and we got new characters to carry things forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Wes Anderson has made some great movies, as well.
    I enjoyed Rushmore. He lost me after The Royal Tennenbaums. And then There Will Be Blood happened and other american films ceased to matter.

'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' blasts box office record with $238 million North American debut.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - To say that the force is strong with this one isn't nearly enough.
    Studio estimates on Sunday say "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" brought in a galactic $238 million over the weekend, making it the biggest North American debut of all time.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...218/story.html

Doesn't look like it will break Jurassic World's worldwide total record weekend though.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - To say that the force is strong with this one is an understatement.
    "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" brought in a galactic $238 million over the weekend, making it the biggest North American debut of all time according to studio estimates on Sunday.
    The Walt Disney Co. earnings destroy the previous opening record set by Universal's "Jurassic World," which drew $208.8 million this summer.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...218/story.html

(highlighted by me)

That's the domestic total.

Internationally Force Awakens fell short of Jurassic World's international opening weekend record ($316.1 million) as well as its global opening record of $524.9 million. That global number, however, may still be in play as Disney is reporting an estimated $279 million international opening on approximately 30,000 screens, which leaves it just $7.9 million shy of that global record as the film currently sits at $517 million worldwide.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4134&p=.htm
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 20-12-2015 at 03:13 PM.

I did not see Star Wars in 1977 or for twenty years afterward. I will not see this one, ever. Yawn.

Hollywood hasn't put out anything worth watching in years.

Star Wars in 1977 broke new story telling ground. George Lucas was influenced by Joseph Campbell's "The hero with a thousand faces" or Hero's journey. This kind of story telling had never been used in hollywood, which imo made the first Star Wars movie a success. You can read more about Campbell's "Hero's Journey" here and you'll notice that this formula parallels the first trilogy in many ways:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Star Wars was the beginning of the end for large-screen cinema. Not as art, but as entertainment.

In the end mythology will only get you so far. After a while it was sure to generate to comic-book redos. Which are to crap as crap is good.

Everything gets old after awhile. Star Wars was never the last word on film making and story telling. Other film writers have used Campbell's "Hero's Journey" after Lucas or elements of it. I've been reading science fiction since 1967 and for me the Warhammer 40k Horus Heresy series is the best sf out there. Add a dash of middle English and a sprinkle of Latin and space opera and after 32 novels later the series is still going strong.

The the thing about Campbell is that he was describing an old archetype in "Hero's Journey". This style of story has been around for a long time is at the heart of the Judeo-Christian mythology as well as other Axial Age mythologies in India and Asia. These types of stories have a broad appeal and I don't see any evidence of that ending. The settings and details may change but the core pattern will remain.

Entertainment is one of those things that can be judged by how people react. If millions of people are leaving the theatre happy, then they were entertained.

A box office note: Apparently Star Wars has not been released in China yet while Jurassic World opened everywhere on it's opening weekend. That would cover the lower the international take of Star Wars.

^Revised estimates indicate that Star Wars did indeed beat Jurassic World's global take: http://variety.com/2015/film/box-off...ce-1201665985/

The the thing about Campbell is that he was describing an old archetype in "Hero's Journey". This style of story has been around for a long time is at the heart of the Judeo-Christian mythology as well as other Axial Age mythologies in India and Asia. These types of stories have a broad appeal and I don't see any evidence of that ending. The settings and details may change but the core pattern will remain.

Entertainment is one of those things that can be judged by how people react. If millions of people are leaving the theatre happy, then they were entertained.
    I'm glad you read the wiki link I provided. What I was getting at was The Hero's journey was the first time Hollywood used it in film to tell a story.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post

I'm glad you read the wiki link I provided. What I was getting at was The Hero's journey was the first time Hollywood used it in film to tell a story.
    I've read "Hero With A Thousand Faces", "The Power of Myth", and a number of other works on storytelling and narrative. I would highly recommend "The Seven Basic Plots", as it offers a more focussed perspective than Campbell. I did look at the wikipedia page as well as they're often good for refreshing my memory on stuff I read a while back.

Star Wars was the first time someone explicitly used Campbell's work while working on a movie. Notably the first drafts of Star Wars had already been written before Lucas read Campbell. Lucas recognized the pattern in his story and used Campbell to refine it. He didn't read Campbell and then think of Star Wars.

The point I was getting at was that Campbell was describing an existing pattern in storytelling, not inventing one. There are even examples in movies prior to Star Wars. Both Lawrence of Arabia and the Wizard of Oz have strong elements of the pattern.

If anything it could be argued Campbell, through Lucas, limited things going forward as everyone started adhering the pattern as laid out by Campbell rather than just writing the stories and letting the academics classify them later.

Or sedated

People judge entertainment in relation to that which they have been previously exposed. With the bar on what it takes to achieve that not being set very high.

Really all that's happened here is that in present day world we have a void of religious spiritual experience and rather than people accessing their spirituality or experiencing it they are immersing in such bangers and mash philosophy as " let the farce be with you" and seeking some deep (if even subconscious) connection with that. Whether it be Star Trek, Star Wars, graphic comics, mythology, World of Warcraft etc the tendency to immerse in this is more and more pronounced and with many cases of individuals so completely immersed they subjugate real life experiences and focus with imaginary ones.

That's somewhat depressing.

Also Lucas, (ironically also Kubrick) are studied students on what visual impacts can mean and how that medium can induce feelings even bereft of content or narrative.
    To this end a central tenet of any Star Wars movie is the cinescope type panned aspect that first persons the viewer onto the screen. Its a powerful tool without which Star Wars would likely not be given the same cred. Think about all the battlescapes and the wide aspects used. For sure Lucas did. The scopes of the scapes present sensory depictions of alternate planets, galaxies, far away..

As much as judeo-christian Lucas, and Star Wars was influenced by a Canadian, Arthur Lipsett and his groundbreaking work for the NFB. Lipsetts work focused more on just how visual images evoke and in the absence of narrative. Interestingly many directors take from that is to induce the viewer with long periods of no dialog. Which leaves the viewer to fill in as part of the experience and bonding with the art. Indeed a device that worked so well with 2001. Which makes Star Wars look like a comic book.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-12-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Star Wars notes: If you're a fan you should very much enjoy it.
    I wandered over to ECC to catch a late morning show. Two thumbs up for me, and being a geek I will be seeing it again at least once. Maybe I'll watch it at the WEM IMAX.

I would be careful about equating the overindulgence of some fans with the vast majority of regular people living regular lives who enjoy these stories. For most fans these are their hobbies no different than sports fans or any other side thing people spend a lot of time on. Having been to a number of conventions and knowing a lot of fans I would say they're not really any different than any other person. Some people can quote years of hockey stats, others Star Wars canon. They're just hobbies.

Something else to keep in mind is that the variety of media and storytelling people have access to now is unprecedented. Even a hundred years ago what most Western people had was very limited and for many may have stopped at the Bible. Things expanded for people a great deal as movies, radio, and tv became more and more accessible. Now people have a wide range of fiction to engage with and, as an added bonus, it's clear that it's fiction. I'd argue that a Star Wars obsession is far healthier than the various ideological fanatics out there trying force people around them to conform or die.

The stuff on Arthur Lipsett is interesting. I hadn't heard that before and will check him out. Interesting tidbit I found right of the bat is Lucas's inspiration from Lipsett's film 21-87. Leia's cell number in Star Wars is 2187 and Finn's stormtrooper designation in The Force Awakens is FN-2187.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 21-12-2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: grammar

I certainly didn't start this movie thread so that some pretentious highbrow douche can start pi$$ing on other people's tastes that he deems inferior to his own tastes. And I don't have to remove him from my ignore list to realize that.

I certainly didn't start this movie thread so that some pretentious highbrow douche can start pi$$ing on other people's tastes that he deems inferior to his own tastes. And I don't have to remove him from my ignore list to realize that.
    Isn't that being somewhat soapbox, douche, pissing into the wind of you?

Merry Christmas. Meant sincerely as I hold no animosity or grudge.

I'm engaging and discussing with other members. I'm not being disrespectful with those posters. A person would have to identify deeply with such fare to be defensive of such.

Your post is arguably more inappropriate than anything I've stated in this thread, or on the board, ever. no biggy, just saying.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-12-2015 at 04:03 PM.

I would be careful about equating the overindulgence of some fans with the vast majority of regular people living regular lives who enjoy these stories. For most fans these are their hobbies no different than sports fans or any other side thing people spend a lot of time on. Having been to a number of conventions and knowing a lot of fans I would say they're not really any different than any other person. Some people can quote years of hockey stats, others Star Wars canon. They're just hobbies.

Something else to keep in mind is that the variety of media and storytelling people have access to now is unprecedented. Even a hundred years ago what most Western people had was very limited and for many may have stopped at the Bible. Things expanded for people a great deal as movies, radio, and tv became more and more accessible. Now people have a wide range of fiction to engage with and, as an added bonus, it's clear that it's fiction. I'd argue that a Star Wars obsession is far healthier than the various ideological fanatics out there trying force people around them to conform or die.

The stuff on Arthur Lipsett is interesting. I hadn't heard that before and will check him out. Interesting tidbit I found right of the bat is Lucas's inspiration from Lipsett's film 21-87. Leia's cell number in Star Wars is 2187 and in the Finn's stormtrooper designation in The Force Awakens is FN-2187.
    Not equating Paul. At least not intending to. I do thank you as always for the discussion. its interesting to get others perspectives. The bolded is a point both of us realize. But we both realize the downgrade of such spirituality as well. With the term I'm not speaking of connection that is religion or faith based to that extent. Just a connection with ones own life, path, and reason. A persons own adapted spirituality. Which requires self talk, analysis, and being familiar with that and not immersed in other. In social media tech toy times and pervasive and nonstop forms of dialog people can lose thought of who, what, they are. kind of out of our topic here.

Yeah, its funny I knew about the Lipsett connection. As a kid I was a NFB junky of sorts CBC had lots of it on and some of it was highly evocative. I was a TV nerd as a kid before I got my library pass or the internet came..

With McLuhan, Lipsett, etc. Canada was really cutting edge on media influence and how its derived.

Anyway Merry Christmas to all.

I know people like to take in a good movie at this time of the year. A somewhat recent (already years ago) Christmas movie I enjoyed is The Family Stone. A tear jerker recommended for anybody experiencing bereavement or not.

Again if my comments have bothered anybody I will apologize for any interference with this thread.

A discussion on human spirituality is probably for another thread. I would only note my feeling is that it's not mutually exclusive to being a fan of something and in general the human race has been improving on this front.

Another movie well worth going to see is 'Brooklyn'. I went with my wife and a friend to see it on Saturday night at ECC. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's a heart-warming, inspirational story of a young Irish woman who immigrates to NYC in the early 1950s. The film manages to avoid getting overly sentimental or formulaic. Saoirse Ronan in the lead role is amazing. Mostly filmed in Montreal standing in for 1950s Brooklyn.

^That movie got very good ratings from a lot of people.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brooklyn/

Another one that opens of Xmas day that might be worth seeing is 'Concussion' with Will Smith. About the doctor who discovered brain injuries in football players.
    Last edited by Gemini; 21-12-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Or sedated

People judge entertainment in relation to that which they have been previously exposed. With the bar on what it takes to achieve that not being set very high.

Really all that's happened here is that in present day world we have a void of religious spiritual experience and rather than people accessing their spirituality or experiencing it they are immersing in such bangers and mash philosophy as " let the farce be with you" and seeking some deep (if even subconscious) connection with that. Whether it be Star Trek, Star Wars, graphic comics, mythology, World of Warcraft etc the tendency to immerse in this is more and more pronounced and with many cases of individuals so completely immersed they subjugate real life experiences and focus with imaginary ones.

That's somewhat depressing.

Also Lucas, (ironically also Kubrick) are studied students on what visual impacts can mean and how that medium can induce feelings even bereft of content or narrative.
    To this end a central tenet of any Star Wars movie is the cinescope type panned aspect that first persons the viewer onto the screen. Its a powerful tool without which Star Wars would likely not be given the same cred. Think about all the battlescapes and the wide aspects used. For sure Lucas did. The scopes of the scapes present sensory depictions of alternate planets, galaxies, far away..

As much as judeo-christian Lucas, and Star Wars was influenced by a Canadian, Arthur Lipsett and his groundbreaking work for the NFB. Lipsetts work focused more on just how visual images evoke and in the absence of narrative. Interestingly many directors take from that is to induce the viewer with long periods of no dialog. Which leaves the viewer to fill in as part of the experience and bonding with the art. Indeed a device that worked so well with 2001. Which makes Star Wars look like a comic book.
    I like movies that entertain me.

However, there's always the experts that have their own views on writing and everything else - and they expect us to listen to them. Such as these on Tolkien's writing...

Did Tolkien write ‘juvenile trash’?

A prime example was the American modernist Edmund Wilson, who in a hilariously wrong-headed review for The Nation dismissed Tolkien’s book as “juvenile trash”, marked by – of all things! – an “impotence of imagination”. In the New Statesman, meanwhile, Maurice Richardson, himself a writer of surreal fantasy stories, conceded that The Lord of the Rings might appeal to “very leisured boys”, but claimed that it made him want to march through the streets carrying the sign: “Adults of all ages! Unite against the infantilist invasion.”

Even decades later, long after Tolkien’s book had become an international cultural phenomenon, the academic medievalist Peter Godman was still assuring readers of the London Review of Books that it was merely an “entertaining diversion for pre-teenage children”. Michael Moorcock, likening it to the works of A A Milne, dismissed The Lord of the Rings as “a pernicious confirmation of the values of a morally bankrupt middle class“, while Philip Pullman, always keen to sneer at those authors from whom he had borrowed so liberally, called it “trivial“, and “not worth arguing with”.

Given that this was the age of high modernism, it might seem odd that Tolkien should have chosen to express his feelings in the form of a pseudo-medieval fantasy. But unlike many writers of his generation, he remained true to the principles of Morris and Burne-Jones. For Ezra Pound and his fellow modernists, the only way to deal with the horrors of the modern world was to “make it new”. For Tolkien, however, the reverse was true. More than ever, he believed that medievalism, myth and fantasy offered the only salvation ..."

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201...juvenile-trash

Last edited by KC; 26-12-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Interesting interview...

An hour with director George Lucas at the Skywalker Ranch.
    Air Date 12/24/2015
    http://www.charlierose.com/watch/60665244

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos...s-charlie-rose
    Last edited by KC; 28-12-2015 at 09:55 PM.

Star Wars "The force awakens" $1B in its opening weekend? Did i hear that right?

Star Wars "The force awakens" $1B in its opening weekend? Did i hear that right?
    Yup you're right. Although I am surprised that you can hear anything. Saw it yesterday and that movie is LOUD

The Martian 3d last night at the TWS, not terrible, but far from a great script...the 3D made it acceptable. A disservice to the book as usual.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Here's a sequel I'm looking forward to seeing
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/trainspo...quel-1.3354257

Off by half for the opening weekend.

$247m Domestic
    $528m Worldwide

Currently sitting at $540m domestic and $1.1b worldwide after ten days.

Here's a sequel I'm looking forward to seeing
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/trainspo...quel-1.3354257
    I didn't really like the original, aside from the unintelligible English, seemed more about trying to shock the audience than telling a story. Maybe the second one will be better? All the cast will be old now I guess.

Off by half for the opening weekend.

$247m Domestic
    $528m Worldwide

Currently sitting at $540m domestic and $1.1b worldwide after ten days.
    Wow! And it hasn't hit China yet and we're not factoring movie tie ins like toys and advertising rights.

OK, to nit pick:
    -how can these ships fly into a landing dock of another spaceship, have the hangar door be open and have everyone walking around without pressurized suits? They're in outer space for crying out loud!

^ Artistic license

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    OK, to nit pick:
    -how can these ships fly into a landing dock of another spaceship, have the hangar door be open and have everyone walking around without pressurized suits? They're in outer space for crying out loud!
    Forcefields

He said with the hanger door open.

He said with the hanger door open.
    In these kinds of space fantasy movies the usual explanation is controllable force fields. As fantasy movies it doesn't really matter though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast