Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The C2E Movie thread

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Barry did say he was nit picking, and the "artistic license" phrase works equally well for Science Fantasy.

In British science fiction as in Banks and Travis, I keep hearing another word for computer and I can't recall the word for it. A something.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ansible is the word I'm looking for and I'm thinking this as a plot device to bridge the gap between Barry's nit picking and Legion's fore field.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    He said with the hanger door open.
    The empire / first order has no need for hanger doors i have nvr seen any sort of door on any of the star destroyers.

i present to the jury exhibit a

and exhibit b

and exhibit c

as you see in the last image there is a fire meaning the force field is holding out the vacuum of space
    Last edited by Legion; 30-12-2015 at 04:24 AM.

New Charlie Kaufman film Anomalisa. His films don't always succeed but they are always interesting.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Anyone care to comment on the audio level. To my ears, the difference between the pre movie promos and the actual movie was just to (*&*&*( LOUD
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

What kind of theatre did you see it in. We were downtown at the Landmark Cinema's and the sound was fine but other than 3D, it was a standard theatre.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    He said with the hanger door open.
    The empire / first order has no need for hanger doors i have nvr seen any sort of door on any of the star destroyers.

i present to the jury exhibit a

and exhibit b

and exhibit c

as you see in the last image there is a fire meaning the force field is holding out the vacuum of space
    ...or holding in the molecules of gases. Maybe it's one of those air-curtains.

http://www.tmi-pvc.com/air-curtain-air-door.html

While we're at it? Do laser and light sabre weapons work very well in smoky 'spaces'? Would smoke bombs be great deterrents?
    Last edited by KC; 30-12-2015 at 02:04 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    Anyone care to comment on the audio level. To my ears, the difference between the pre movie promos and the actual movie was just to (*&*&*( LOUD
    Thanks for the heads up. I was going to go see this over the weekend. Now, I'll wait for it to come to vod or something.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

OK, to nit pick:
    -how can these ships fly into a landing dock of another spaceship, have the hangar door be open and have everyone walking around without pressurized suits? They're in outer space for crying out loud!
    Do you mean at the same time?

OK, to nit pick:
    -how can these ships fly into a landing dock of another spaceship, have the hangar door be open and have everyone walking around without pressurized suits? They're in outer space for crying out loud!
    Forcefields
    That's what I think to, you can see sort of shiny light normally around the bay doors, the ship can pass through the field, but it can keep the pressurization in.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    What kind of theatre did you see it in. We were downtown at the Landmark Cinema's and the sound was fine but other than 3D, it was a standard theatre.
    Went to W E M Imax.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yeah, I thought the sound level was just right at Landmark downtown. My brother in law, though, said he wanted to see it again at a theatre with "louder speakers".

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    OK, to nit pick:
    Forcefields
    That's what I think to, you can see sort of shiny light normally around the bay doors, the ship can pass through the field, but it can keep the pressurization in.

Force Fields...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Deflector_shield/Legends
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Force_field
    Last edited by KC; 30-12-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Went to W E M Imax.
    Will note to not go there when we go see it again this weekend.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What with JJ Abrams currently devoted to Star Wars what will that do to the Star Trek franchise?

Is Star Trek dead in the water? ("Its dead Jim") I heard rumors of a small screen Trek but is Trek on a permanent hiatus, or will this Star Wars movie breath new life into the Star Trek franchise?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Latest Star Wars - age appropriateness ?

I see that in the link below, it's said that there aren't any 'swear words', but it has mass killings, fighting, etc. So some people are saying age 8+ and the average is 10+.

Life is so weird - people's judgements all seem backwards to me. I'd say nudity, swearing, maybe even sex/love scenes are non-violent,sort of 'no-harm, no-foul' behaviours so that's more ok for younger audiences than violence. However light-sabre'ing, violence, slaughtering, decapitating, exploding bodies, etc. are where the higher age limits should exist.

All parent member reviews for Star Wars: Episode VII: The Force Awakens

"I think a kiss on the forehead was as crazy as it gets. The one issue I had was the violence. And I mean violence beyond your usual lightsabre battles. Some of the concerning scenes for the younger kids: --- In the first 5 minutes, there was the slaughter of villagers (right after the villain said, "Kill them all"). "

Never morally ambiguous
    People tend talk about sex and violence, but I have an additional rule I apply when considering a movie's appropriateness for my family: when the film presents an evil act, does the film itself, through the reactions of the characters, recognize the act as evil? In a lesser form, I won't let my children watch programs where child characters treat their peers and adults with disrespect as if that were acceptable, or where they break rules and are rewarded for it as long as the plan succeeds. By the moral clarity rule, The Force Awakens is a real success. Even when

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/mov...-reviews/adult
    ~
    Last edited by KC; 31-12-2015 at 01:06 PM.

What with JJ Abrams currently devoted to Star Wars what will that do to the Star Trek franchise?

Is Star Trek dead in the water? ("Its dead Jim") I heard rumors of a small screen Trek but is Trek on a permanent hiatus, or will this Star Wars movie breath new life into the Star Trek franchise?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    While JJ understands Star Wars he completely did not get Star Trek and should never have worked on it. The first two of the reboot were essentially generic scifi action movies dressed up in Star Trek costumes. The first trailer for the third does not give much hope for it to be much different.

Maybe we need a Best Actual Time Travel Movie thread for old films showing actual scenes from the past.

Tonight I see that "The Best Years of Our Lives" (1946) is on tv. Apparently it's ranked among the best movies ever. Anyway, from the couple minutes I saw it was interesting from the scenery it shows from the mid 1940s.

Example:

The airplane graveyard where Dana Andrews' characters finds his old bomber was a real graveyard for thousands of B-17 and B-25 bombers, along with numerous fighter planes. The crew washed down Andrews' bomber then hit it with dust to make it stick on the forward turret for a grittier look. Though the salvage crew scene was part of the movie, in real life such work crews did dismantle the old planes to make housing for returning veterans.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036868/...ef_=tt_trv_trv
    Found this:

http://www.cntraveler.com/galleries/...ast-50-years/1
    Last edited by KC; 31-12-2015 at 09:23 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ What you haven't seen Doctor Who recently? You can't get much more time travel then that.

^ What you haven't seen Doctor Who recently? You can't get much more time travel then that.
    Not fictional time travel. Real time travel - visually that is. Like old newsreels, documentaries, home movies... Or is that what the doctor is doing now?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Since we were talking science fiction I thought that's what you meant.

Check out Space TV for that. Doctor Who is getting better and better with each new Doctor. The writing is above par with what Hollywood is doing now.

C2E Long Term Contributor

'The Danish Girl' was decent, wonderfully shot, but lacked depth.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Just watched the latest NSFW trailer for Deadpool, this is gonna be hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIM1HydF9UA
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Glad I read the IMDB reviews before taking this one in. Wife was interested in seeing it but also dissuaded by the poor reviews. About the poorest IMDB scores I've seen.

This is perhaps the most cogent review of the film;

When a transgender woman is played by a cisgender man, it sends the message that the two can be seen as the same thing, which is untrue. It's also very disrespectful, at best, to the woman whom this movie is all about, Lili Elbe
    Or that this is a fictionalized account not even remotely resembling the book or the alleged subject of the film. The *girl* also isn't even *Danish*.

Sounds like a complete failure of an adaptation.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Dang! I was hoping to persuade my husband to go. Maybe I won't mention your review.

Happy new year everyone.

The Force Awakens is not at $740m and should pass Avatar tomorrow to become the highest grossing film of all time (unadjusted) just seventeen days after release. At the same point Avatar had grossed $352m. Not sure how it will make it on the adjusted list but top ten is not unreasonable. Doubt it will catch Gone With the Wind's adjusted total of $1.7b though.

The Force Awakens is not at $740m and should pass Avatar tomorrow to become the highest grossing film of all time (unadjusted) just seventeen days after release. At the same point Avatar had grossed $352m. Not sure how it will make it on the adjusted list but top ten is not unreasonable. Doubt it will catch Gone With the Wind's adjusted total of $1.7b though.
    Interesting. ...but on first thought not all that meaningful.

Or on second thought, maybe very meaningful considering the expansion of entertainment choices available these days - since movies may be less and less of the dominant media it was in the past.

Still, as dollars depreciate and populations and markets grow, it would be nice to see 'properly' adjusted popularity ratings to get a sense of the population's movie preferences. Maybe dollar adjusted or market share or something.

Not sure what you mean by 'meaningful'.

I do think the box office represents, among other things, the popularity of a movie at the time it was released and, for older movies, over time. Gone With the Wind made $32m when released ($546m adjusted) but has made a total of $198m at the box office through periodic re-releases. By all accounts, a very success, popular movie over a long period of time.

I'm not sure there's anyway to have an truly objective ranking of a movies popularity although general rankings through proxies like box office give us an idea.

Not that mass popularity is the be all and end all. There are plenty of really good movies that will never have mass appeal. The great thing about the modern market is these kinds of movies are more and more viable.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ok I'm confused here, I heard that Star Wars A force awakens made $1B during its opening weekend. I gave my head a shake when I heard that. No way.

Ok I'm confused here, I heard that Star Wars A force awakens made $1B during its opening weekend. I gave my head a shake when I heard that. No way.
    Not sure where you heard that but it's way off. Opening weekend was:

$247m Domestic
    $528m Worldwide

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

From today:

“The Force Awakens” (Disney) has now sold $740.3 million in tickets at domestic theaters, according to Rentrak, which compiles box- office data. Disney said on Sunday that the film’s global total now stands at $1.5 billion; it opens in China on Saturday."

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ce-reign/?_r=0

Not sure what you mean by 'meaningful'.

I do think the box office represents, among other things, the popularity of a movie at the time it was released and, for older movies, over time. Gone With the Wind made $32m when released ($546m adjusted) but has made a total of $198m at the box office through periodic re-releases. By all accounts, a very success, popular movie over a long period of time.

I'm not sure there's anyway to have an truly objective ranking of a movies popularity although general rankings through proxies like box office give us an idea.

Not that mass popularity is the be all and end all. There are plenty of really good movies that will never have mass appeal. The great thing about the modern market is these kinds of movies are more and more viable.
    Yeah, even with adjusted figures it would be impossible to determine all the differences.

In Star Wars case it benefits from it being a serial adaptation strung across several decades (even centuries and Milennia, lol, and hundreds of books and internet and science fiction communities. ) The sum extent meaning that generations of viewers pass this viewing experience and fellowship along.

Also franchises today that appeal to children and collectors have corollary benefits from licencing, merchandising which cross promote brands as well as the movie itself. To the degree that brandishing sabres has replaced gun fights in the kid play annals of time. Not a bad thing either heh, just saying.

So "Franchises" like Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings have some selected benefits that more one off productions like Gone with the Wind simply do not have.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-01-2016 at 03:26 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And that doesn't include the take from licensing agreements, vod, dvd sales, the making of's. After its all said and done The Force awakens could easily end up $2-4B.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Star Wars A force awakens is barely into its 3rd week and already at $1.5B and it hasn't even hit China yet. I'd say before mid month, this movie will far outpace "Gone with the wind" and then some.

And that doesn't include the take from licensing agreements, vod, dvd sales, the making of's. After its all said and done The Force awakens could easily end up $2-4B.
    The cross promotion and merchandising actually adds to a movies appeal and attention.

NYE for instance around the world and light sabers are being sold by the truckloads. Whats the connection between NYE and Star Wars? There isn't one. Just that a kid playing with a light saber at night has hit the heights of kid playdom. Which has less to do with the movies themselves other than that they have evoked what todays current PC kids play is. No more gunfights, cowboys and "Indians" and replaced with this safer, more acceptable mode. Indeed probably every kid that's held a light saber probably identifies with the movies before ever even watching one.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ And as a kid i used to think the Holahoop was the end all to be all kid toy. But I was 6 years old at the time

I wonder how much the main actors will get in residuals from this movie?

Star Wars A force awakens is barely into its 3rd week and already at $1.5B and it hasn't even hit China yet. I'd say before mid month, this movie will far outpace "Gone with the wind" and then some.
    One has to wonder if this Star Wars has brought in $1.5B how much theatre concessions stands are hauling in.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

The stat in question is domestic, as in US only, box office. The Force Awakens would have to do another billion dollars in the US, in the next 14 days to beat Gone With the Wind on that schedule. Given revenues generally decline with time, if TFA does catch Gone With the Wind it will be a couple months from now.

Personally I think it's unlikely to manage it on this release. If it gets a rerelease in theatres prior to the next movie it could possible catch up as all box office counts regardless of release date.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Domestic ok, but not Worldwide.

'Rosewater' was good, but needed 20-30mins more development.
    www.decl.org

Domestic ok, but not Worldwide.
    On the unadjusted worldwide chart TFA is currently #7 at $1.515b. It should easily make it to #3 and I think it should be able to get ahead of Avatar which has a worldwide of $2.788b once it opens in China.

'The Big Short' was good, very good.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

The Reverant was meh. Nice scenes in it, but I found the story to be slow and drawn out until the climax at the very end which went by far too quick. 1Hr 45Min leading up to the climax, 15Min climax.

5/10

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Star Wars The force awakens has grossed $800M as of yesterday and is $1.6B world wide.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...-topping-800m/

'Brooklyn' was an enjoyable flick, but lacked more development back in Ireland. Worth a watch though.
    www.decl.org

Loved The Big Short..

I watched "Sicario" the other day and really enjoyed it. It was a Canadian director who made the movie as well (Denis Villeneuve).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Villeneuve made a film called Prisoners which is on Netflix presently. Top drawer.

'The Experimenter' tomorrow night, very much looking forward to a Milgram night
    www.decl.org

Among the reasons I stopped watching awards shows decades ago.

The Martian won the Golden Globe for Best Comedy because everything is a lie

^yup... and best actor?!!?
    www.decl.org

We loved The Martian, although the book is better..

^cannot believe that it won what it did at the GGs though... even if entertaining.
    www.decl.org

^cannot believe that it won what it did at the GGs though... even if entertaining.
    Really? I wasn't..

^telling... as in the stuff the studios are putting out.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Villeneuve made a film called Prisoners which is on Netflix presently. Top drawer.
    Yup, I'm interested in that, Enemy, and Incendies.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

'Experimenter' at the Garneau.

Uniquely presented, always kept you thinking, wondering, reconsidering.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

"Song remains the same" Garneau

Concussion

7*/10

*Will Smiths accent is horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    Concussion

7*/10

*Will Smiths accent is horrendous.
    I though Smith was very good, I forgot it was him

Deadpool delivered exactly what it needed it to deliver. The story and plot are simple, straightforward, and fairly predictable but that's not we're there for. Deadpool is about the merc with a mouth and the writers and Ryan Reynolds delivered that in spades.

Ryan Reynolds was in town a few weeks ago for a private showing of Deadpool with a sick kid. But isn't the boy a bit young to be watching an R-rated film?
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...-ryan-reynolds
    https://www.facebook.com/VancityReynolds/?pnref=story
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Ryan Reynolds was in town a few weeks ago for a private showing of Deadpool with a sick kid. But isn't the boy a bit young to be watching an R-rated film?
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...-ryan-reynolds
    https://www.facebook.com/VancityReynolds/?pnref=story
    Normally I'd say yes however when the odds are against him living to be old enough to see it, I'd say he gets a pass.

Saw Martian and thought it was pretty good.

Also saw Showtime! and thought it was very good.

Just read where Showtime! was: "the highest-grossing Canadian film of 2015." Source Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtime!
    Last edited by KC; 15-02-2016 at 03:05 PM.

For the collectors out there:

An Original Film Print of Star Wars Has Been Restored and Released Online

Be warned. They didn't compress it at all so it's 23.5GB.

How racially skewed are the Oscars?

despite the 2015-2016 whiteout, an analysis of Oscar selections since 2000 suggests that the imbalances are industry-wide, not primarily to do with Academy voters. And they affect all ethnic minorities. Oscar nominations have not dramatically under-represented black actors. Instead, they have greatly over-represented white ones. Blacks are 12.6% of the American population, and 10% of Oscar nominations since 2000 have gone to black actors. But just 3% of nominations have gone to their Hispanic peers (16% of the population), 1% to those with Asian backgrounds, and 2% to those of other heritage

New Ghostbusters trailer! Looks promising, but not sure if it will match the original with Murray, Ackroyd et al

Looks like a standard Hollywood comedy. :/ To bad as the franchise deserves better.

Finally got to Spotlight, good, well done, but in most years definitely not picture of the year.

Cartel Land was interesting and worrisome.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Saw WTF yesterday. Overall a pretty good movie. It's not a slapstick comedy, nor is it an outright drama. I thought it struck a decent balance between the two. Nothing amazing, but worth a watch.

Finally got to Spotlight, good, well done, but in most years definitely not picture of the year.
    I could go back to 2000 and name you at least a half-dozen best picture winners that are inferior to Spotlight. It wouldn't have been my personal choice for best picture, but it was excellent nonetheless.

We were away on the weekend saw Terrence Malick's Knight of Cups a fantastic impressionist film, not for everyone that's for sure.

The new Ghostbusters looks absolutely dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    The new Ghostbusters looks absolutely dreadful.
    Dreadful might be a bit of a strong word for it, but it definitely looks like a comedy first with the "ghostbusting" as the background filler. Ever since they announced the main cast was going to be all female, I had a feeling it wasn't going to have the same feel as the original two.

The all female case is not the issue here and could be something that helps the movie a lot if used well. The issue is the decline of Hollywood comedies. Something that was great about the original Ghostbusters was that the actors played it straight for the most part. The comedy arose from the filming and the situations.

"Every Frame a Painting" has a good take on the problem in it's piece on Edgar Wright:

Edgar Wright - How to Do Visual Comedy

This movie looks interesting. As a self proclaimed "not a movie guy", I may have to check this one out.

I went from Wall Street...to working at Waffle House

When James Adams walked into Waffle House in 2009 and requested a job application, the manager asked if he'd been sacked because of the meltdown.

"Yeah," Adams said. "Firms like mine caused it."

The manager gave him a sympathetic look. She said he could start Monday as long as he had a pair of black pants and vowed not to steal anything. He took the job.

Adams went from pulling in six figures a year as a hedge fund vice president to serving bacon and grits for $2.13 an hour (plus tips).

The job came with a side of "humble pie," especially when he was put on the graveyard shift with mostly ex-cons as coworkers. His wife thought he was nuts. But he felt he needed to do "deep soul searching."

"I'm willing to admit I played a role in the most horrific financial drama in the last 70 years," says Adams.
    More at CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/17/inve...use/index.html

Watched the James Bond movie, Spectre. I've re-titled it, Sphincter.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ huh?

Well, it's got to be the poorest James Bond flick to date. In short, crap. Ergo, sphincter.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Haven't seen it yet, then again Craig indicated he's growing tired of the franchise.

I saw Batman v Superman despite the barrage of negative reviews from critics and geeks alike, both groups who are renowned for their fussiness. Honestly? It's not as bad as reported. Not a fail, but not a pass either. It is a dark, serious, gods-on-earth film that should be compared more to Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy than to Marvel's films. There are a few negatives with some of the character portrayals and the two leads being shoehorned into some very dodgy plotting and questionable motives. If Gal Gardot had more screen time as Wonder Woman she would have easily stolen the show, so I look forward to her upcoming solo film.

The problem has to do with expectations. It's been a long time since Dark Knight, the last DC movie that could be called great. This was supposed to be DCs answer to the string of really good movies Marvel has had.

Spoller. Superman drops the bombshell that he is actually batman's father this causes batman to have a flash back to when his parents were killed and superman takes that moment to beat the crap out and kill batman.

Anomalisa, oddly captivating and insightful.
    www.decl.org

In genre movie land DC's next movie, Suicide Squad, had better be a home run. As the numbers stand now Civil War is a clear hit and even Deadpool did better than Batman v Superman.

Captain America: Civil War is a great movie in the superhero genre and does an excellent job of not being just another repeat.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Is there any continuity between the Shield tv show and this movie, like character narratives and crossover story lines? I haven't read a Marvel comic book since Dark Star comics back in the day. Marvel is really good at cross over story arch's.

^ Is there any continuity between the Shield tv show and this movie, like character narratives and crossover story lines? I haven't read a Marvel comic book since Dark Star comics back in the day. Marvel is really good at cross over story arch's.
    There is crossover from the movie to the TV show in terms of the repercussions of the what happens in the movie. Other than that, no. While Marvel's TV and movies take place in the same universe there is little to no creative crossover between them.

It does seem kinda odd that Civil War, with its storyline of registering superpowered beings, are overlooking the ongoing rise of the Inhumans all over the globe on the Agents of SHIELD show. Other than that, Civil War was an entertaining film. If Spider-Man had more screen time he would have easily stolen the show.

To be honest, I don't really have much hope for Suicide Squad. The Wonder Woman film might be a saving grace for the DC film franchise since she was one of the best things about Batman v Superman. DC is killing it with their TV shows though - maybe they should be getting Greg Berlanti to spearhead the film franchise instead of Zack Snyder. I hear Berlanti is producing a Booster Gold film so we'll see.

Next up on the nerd film calendar is X-Men: Apocalypse.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ And that's what is lacking in the overall narrative here. Not that the marvel movies are not good. I've only seen 1 Spiderman, Thor and the Captain America movies and really enjoyed them. Besides the plots and the artwork, what made Marvel comics better then the other comic book brands was how they crossed over the story lines. This new Marvel universe is too politically correct for my taste (and Hollywood in general. I'm from the 1960's era). I'll still watch and enjoy the movies.

^ Not really into the X-men thing. Everything seems to be centered around Wolverine but the premise of Civil War is interesting.
    Last edited by envaneo; 15-05-2016 at 04:14 PM.

The registration aspect directly impacts Agents of SHIELD but I think the movie was already pretty full for them to try and spin the Inhumans into it as well.

I'm glad they're not overdoing the cross over aspects. That's what drove me away from comics. I want good stories that don't require me to keep up with every other movie or show or book.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 15-05-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Realistically, few people will watch Agents of Shield in comparison to this flick.

'high rise' for all you dystopian high-rise lovers. Good, complex.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/high-rise/review/
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Its a great time for sci-fi movie fans, what with the new Star Trek "Beyond" movie coming out July 22nd and Star Wars Rouge one in December. Personally I'm looking forward to "Beyond" more then anything. The recent trailers look great for both films.

Not a fan of the new Star Trek films. They're passable action/SF films dressed up like Star Trek but they are not Trek. The Beyond trailers don't look like anything has changed from that formula.

Rogue One looks interesting but I'm worried about the rumours swirling around the reshoots. Sounds like the executives decided it was too dark and wanted the tone changed. Midstream changes at that kind of scale don't bode well but I'm still hopeful.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The JJ Abrams Star trek is great as I've seen all 12 of the movies, and I go back to TOS days having seen the first Star Trek in September 1966. I was just a teenager then. The only TV Trek I didn't like was the animated series. I'm totally on board with the new streaming Trek when it comes out, can't wait. I didn't get into the books and I wish I did because they had some great ones. As for Rouge One, yeah count me in. It's all good, even the upcoming Independence Day.

The problem for me with the movies is that one of the defining characteristics of Trek were the characters and their histories. We saw characters who had experience at the jobs they were doing and had worked hard to get there. Many Trek episodes revolve around past events in the characters lives and careers.

In the Abramsverse a group cadets can be given permanent command of a starship. The movies are fun action pieces but they don't even attempt depth and even the main characters are cardboard cutouts of their TOS counterparts. They even managed to screw up Khan.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There's just so much room in a 2 hour film for back story because back story takes away from the original narrative. In TOS etc (television) there's more time for this. I'm fine with the way the Abram characters are evolving. Keep in mind Abrams's Kirk is a younger version of the TOS and much of the character development has already happened, which could explain why you think the characters are cardboard cut outs.

Saw Finding Dory on Friday. Story is nice, some fun characters, and stunning animation. Well worth it to see in 3D. They actually animated an entire background scene running under all the credits.

And Hank the septopus needs his own movie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast