Thread: Walking: A new form of old public transit

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Walking: A new form of old public transit

David Staples: Walking: A new form of old public transit

DAVID STAPLES, EDMONTON JOURNAL
    More from David Staples, Edmonton Journal

Iím here to recommend a new form of old public transportation: your feet.

Nine months ago, I made the decision to stop taking the LRT to work and start walking, even as it takes me more than an hour to make the trek, as opposed to 30 minutes by train.

Most days Iíve kept to my plan of walking at least one way, but itís not always been easy, which I why I was heartened to hear about Erin Elizabeth Ross.

Ross also works in downtown Edmonton. She has been walking to work for four years now. At first, Ross made a 45-minute walk through a fairly tough part of town from her home in Queen Mary Park. More recently, she has moved to an east downtown apartment and has cut her walk to 15 minutes each way.

The world is full of talk these days about different ways of getting around ó modes of transportation as the policy wonks call it ó but most of the talk is around switching from cars to LRT, or from buses or cars to bicycles.

But whatís it like to go old school and walk wherever you need to go?

http://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/c...public-transit
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

It is ironic that on the day following the firing of the province's best reporters (Ryan Cormier, Alexandra Zabjek, Joanne Ireland etc.) the WORST city columnist to write for the Journal in 25 years decides to serve up, arguably, his most pablum-like column.

I totally agree with this article. It used to amaze me when I lived by the Saveon in 109 street downtown, and I would walk to work (even in winter), and I'd see people I worked with who were catching busses, or going down to the LRT, for the same distance. I'd get there before them, but they saved themselves some exercise. There is nothing better than walking to work (other than maybe biking). Its partly why I get annoyed at projects like the Funicular, its exactly the opposite of what the city should be encouraging, IMO.

I love walking to work. I save money on gas and parking, don't get stressed out about rush hr traffic, and I get some exercise. And if it gets too cold then I can use the pedways!
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I've never owned a car in my life and walk everywhere..it's a total drag now that I bought a place 1.5km away from SavOn but with the relaxing of the parking requirements the 'food deserts' should become food 'oasis'? One hopes.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I've been walking to work for the last 3 years (In Oliver) and love it.

It's nice being able to avoid parking, traffic, rush hour, cost of fuel etc.

The only thing that annoys me are people that walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk...but that's just a minor annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by edm_guy View Post
    The only thing that annoys me are people that walk on the wrong side of the sidewalk...but that's just a minor annoyance.
    Or if you take the pedway and there are a bunch of people walking together leaving no room to pass

Walking is great way to discover your city.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^ I think it is the best way.

I remember reading studies comparing peoples' "mental maps", and the difference in them was astounding based on their mode of transportation. Essentially you have people draw or describe their neighbourhood or city from memory, pointing out important landmarks.

People who drive are much more likely to describe places based on road patterns and "beginning and end" locations. They will have their house and the immediate surroundings, then more or less accurate road routes to a couple big locations.

People who walk have much more detailed maps with landmarks all along the way. They are more likely to have a wide series of landmarks that drivers completely miss, many of which are described in a very different way. Instead of road names/numbers and turns, they point out visual landmarks or places of interaction. They also have more diverse destinations.

End point: walking is very good for vibrancy. It literally does cause people to have a more diverse and direct connection to their immediate community.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Cannot walk to work but enjoy walking to closer destinations. Wish there were a couple of ped. overpasses over Calgary Trail and Gateway.

I'll walk in the spring/summer/fall but in the winter I'll snag a bus.

I walked every day before work moved to the very edge of downtown & I moved 3 blocks farther away. The extra ~6 blocks & closed sidewalks for construction make it just that little bit too long & inconvenient for me in the face of winter.
    Giving less of a damn than everÖ Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I regularly walk to Whyte instead of driving or biking even, as I love the HLB or the valley and grabbing a caff bev 1/2 way. Walking home post a few is even more fun.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Walking is great way to discover your city.
    Every mode of transport is required to discover your city, otherwise you're just getting a slice of it, as proven by even the small sample here on C2E. Those that only utilize single modes of transport, and/or only acquaint themselves with small portions of the city are the ones that are missing out.

Those that only walk may never discover what is beyond their walkable range. Those that never walk may miss the opportunity to absorb their surroundings.

I love my car, but I also love parking it and taking in neighbourhoods in all areas of the city.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I think what Chris meant, was that you experience more by walking vis a vis other ways of transport, not so much about to and fro for all destinations.
    www.decl.org

one of the biggest criterias I have when searching for a place to live is how easy it is to

a) walk/bike to work
    b) transit time to work or downtown.

I enjoy not sitting in my car for hour+ a day just for commuting to work.

For those working in industrial areas, walking, especially in winter is NOT an option. There are often no sidewalks and walking on roadways is dangerous and possibly illegal.

Good example is 75th street south of Argyll
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

I heard 106 Street to NAIT is popular.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Walked home from my office again today. Takes about 40 minutes. Besides being good exercise, it's a great way to decompress from a busy workday.

In recent years, I've gotten into the habit of taking the LRT on the way to work (involves about 10 minutes of walking on both ends), and then walking home.

Addicted to C2E

I often walk home from Corona LRT (after taking train from southside) to my pad in Queen Mary Park (and. no, I don't have to cross any particularly "tough" places....... just an ab\mble up 109 st to 106 Ave and then a few blks to the west).

I'd rather C2E than work!

^^ So you could spend 40 minutes walking, or 20 minutes walking and ~10 minutes waiting for / riding the LRT. That hardly seems worth the LRT fare.

Have you thought of cycling? The 40 minute walk will become a ~15 minute ride in the summer, and 20-25 minutes in the winter.

Instead of building the $650 Million Metro Line, we could have paid 10,000 people to walk to work for $10 bucks a day, 250 days a year for 26 years...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I love walking (one of the reasons we live just off Whyte). Over the summer my son (3.5 at the time) and I walked from Whyte Ave/99 St down Whyte Ave, North on 109 St across the bridge, West on Jasper Ave, South along 116 st, then West along the promenade and ended up at MEC. Bought him a backpack and then walked back and caught the trolley to take us back to near Whyte Ave where we walked home. I figure we might as well get him used to walking when he's young (and yes, he walked the entirety of that distance!) so he continues to do it when he's older. It was a looooong walk - 3.5 year olds tend to get distracted a lot!
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Also love walking and believe that is the best way to explore/see cities. I do this in Edmonton or cities we visit.
    I tend to consider much greater distances walkable than most people do.

For instance in Edmonton love to walk across footbridge to Louise McKinney then up to Jasper Ave, hit up downtown, take a look at RAM, Arena construction sites. head up 104st back to Jasper, walk all the way to 124st, explore there, then Highstreet, then back to Pearl, walk the Promenade back, explore Legislature, and then back along historic path (forget what avenue that is) all the way to Macdonald hotel, then down steps and back across river.

We like walking and hiking.

Also as a young adult was a big proponent of walking home after parties. We all would get together and do that. Never ever needed a cab, Uber, late busses etc. Walking 5-10miles home from a party was considered no big deal.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Walking sucks when you come back with a bag of groceries and the lettuce is frozen solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Walking sucks when you come back with a bag of groceries and the lettuce is frozen solid.
    You don't walk fast enough or something. heh. Never happened to me, I actually prefer carrying groceries home in winter as they keep fresher. The worst is a hot summer day wiling/melting whatever you bought.

When buying groceries I usually go the closest grocery store which isn't close really but about 12blocks away. But that only takes 20minute walk.

In a serious vein Costco sells insulated bags. Some other stores too. That could help somewhat.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    It is ironic that on the day following the firing of the province's best reporters (Ryan Cormier, Alexandra Zabjek, Joanne Ireland etc.) the WORST city columnist to write for the Journal in 25 years decides to serve up, arguably, his most pablum-like column.
    David Staples is the McScoop the News Dog of the EJ newsroom, or maybe just a cockroach after a nuclear holocaust. It's almost impressive, in a way.