Thread: Find my iPhone success story

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Find my iPhone success story

If you have a cell phone, make sure you have "Find my iPhone" (or the Android equivalent) turned on.

Short version of the story from yesterday:

My friend had his wallet and iPhone stolen yesterday along 118 ave, and we managed to track it down using Find My iPhone when the thief turned it on (it had been off, then on for a few mins, then off) when we were a block and a half away. Went into the 7-11 he was in while he was showing someone my friend's wallet, we confronted him and got the wallet back, but he claimed he didn't have the cell phone. The "play sound" feature made the loud pinging sound, and I got it back from the girl who was sitting on it, pretending it wasn't there.

The cops were called, and we're told they'll follow up on the theft by getting camera footage from the 7-11 to identify the guy.

It was a fun night
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Always good to have an app like that installed, even if you just can't find your phone in your own house lol (making it ring even if the ringer is off/vibrate). Glad to hear it worked out and no one got hurt when confronted.

Here is the Android equivalent for those you might need it:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.apps.adm

this find my iphone thing has saved me a few times, between forgetting I left it on a desk at an office I was working at, and not remembering where I had left it, to losing it in my own home, the pinging sound was able help me track down

Used it once when I left my phone in the lodge at Marmot. Someone had been kind enough to turn it in and the GPS was accurate enough to show me it was in the managers office.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I have had that function on since I got my iPhone. Tried it out a couple of times to make sure it works but never had to use it for a theft or a real loss. It's also on iPads and Apple computers.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I still never understand why the phone companies don't just block the IMEI, once they do a stolen phone is essentially useless, no reason then for people to steal a phone.

Telus blacklists imei if asked

I just wish it would be somewhat automatic, so the major carriers in Canada and US would do this. Of course the criminal elements could export phones to other countries.

AT&T will absolutely block the IMEI as soon as you report a phone stolen.
    Source: Used to do exactly that for AT&T/Cingular.

Also, it's important that you also deactivate using the Control Center from the lock screen. If the Control Center is active, a thief can just swipe up from the lock screen and put it in airplane mode, thus rendering Find My iPhone completely useless.

I've got a jailbroken phone that I've actually gone one further on & completely disabled the power button from functioning while the screen is locked. Can't turn it off without unlocking.

Also: Apple users, make sure you go into Settings & turn on "Send Last Location" inside of iCloud>Find my iPhone. That way, if you get separated your phone when it's low on juice the phone'll send its last location before it dies so at least you'll have that to work with.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Always good to have an app like that installed, even if you just can't find your phone in your own house lol (making it ring even if the ringer is off/vibrate). Glad to hear it worked out and no one got hurt when confronted.

Here is the Android equivalent for those you might need it:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.apps.adm
    Thanks for this, Hilman. I've never lost my phone, but I frequently can't find it first thing in the morning. Sometimes I inadvertently hide it and sometimes it hides itself (behind the sofa cushions is a favourite). I used to use a "ring my phone" web service, but for some reason it stopped working.

I just tested the service using my main computer (and saved the link). Works great. One fewer reason to be late for work.