Thread: A call for O-negative donors

Default A call for O-negative donors

Fyi...

a call for o-negative donors

tyler loutan
    january 31, 2016

canadian blood services is asking for more o-negative blood donors.

"the o-negative blood type is the go-to for hospitals in an emergency, as the ‘universal donor’ is the only type that is compatible with any other blood type.

Judy jones from canadian blood services says the blood type is rare, but o-negative donors make up about 10% of all donors.

“only about 41,000 of our current 410,000 active donors within canadian blood services are actually o-negative,” says jones. “we’re really trying to ..."

http://www.inews880.com/syn/110/8608...egative-donors

As valuable as they are, there just are not enough negative people
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-02-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: missed an "are not"

C2E Continued Contributor

I'm O-, but I'm not planning to give up sex for 5 years just to donate.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

I have that blood type, but the way they waste blood I am not going to bother. Others would feel the same if they saw how many bags of blood they donated ends up on the hospital floor because of careless or indifferent doctors. It's disgusting how much time people volunteer into donating blood, only to have it wasted.

^not with blood, but I've had similar experiences with our health services. I remember once a doctor in a hospital opening a sterilized bag of an item, then changing his mind, not using it, and throwing it in the trash. There is no accountability to be careful, as government just pays for it. Its different when you share in the ownership of something, you care then.

highlander

The thing is, with sterile materials once they've been opened they can't be put away and saved for later. You might not mind being bandaged with dressing that have been lying around in the open air in a room full of sick people, but I'm glad they do things that way.

I'll go back and provide some more O- when I get over this cold. And probably whatever cold the kids bring home from school after that.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not O- but I can't give anymore due to a false positive hep test. :/

I would give blood even if in the face of waste on the basis the patients shouldn't be punished for a flawed system. I can't find any real corroboration to claim of excessive waste though.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Not O- but I can't give anymore due to a false positive hep test. :/
    I am the same, I had Hep C, no longer (successfully treated), but I will always carry the anti-body which triggers a false positive. To test my blood, is an expensive viral test, so its not practical. That's one of the challenges with blood donation. Now there is talk that if you have visited the Caribbean recently, might be a waiting period, due to Zika virus:

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local...83400324-story
    Last edited by moahunter; 01-02-2016 at 06:09 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

As far as I know I never had any type of hep, just had a positive on the quick test but a negative when I had a full set of tests done. I was quite relieved once I was cleared but that big thick envelope in the mail from them is a little nerve racking.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^it could have been a bad test, or you might have been one of the lucky few who was exposed but naturally fought it off. Hep A and B will often throw a positive due to vaccines, so I don't "think" they worry too much on those, but a Hep C false positive will cause concern.

My husband and I are both 0-
    He donates when he can, I'm not as diligent.
    We have four sons who are also 0- and plan to make donating together a birthday thing as soon as they're old enough.

highlander

Going on to donate together as a family is a great idea.
    I have to admit I have no idea what my kid's blood types are, but we're a few years away from that yet.