Thread: YegPin - Edmonton Pinball Expo

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default YegPin - Edmonton Pinball Expo

This is coming to the Yellowhead Inn May 6-8. Weekend passes are $35, Friday is $15, Sat is $20, and Sun is $15 (for adults). All the machines will be set to freeplay, so you won't need a pocket full of change once you get there.

http://www.yegpin.com/

I'm excited - already got a weekend pass.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Say what? THIS IS SO COOL!

I love pinball machines. I spent a day when we were in Vegas at the Pinball Museum. I need a weekend pass for sure.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

The Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas is awesome. I spent the afternoon there with a friend, then got married and headed back there in the limo. We have a couple of great wedding photos taken there (my favorite is my wife kissing me while I was playing "Las Vegas" - and I didn't lose my ball!).

I hope this is a success and can become a yearly thing. It's nearly impossible to find pinball tables to play these days. The best places seem to be Red Robin's (except downtown), and the airport (expensive entry fee).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Denizen Hall has pinball machines IIRC
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Gallagher's pub on Whyte has a machine. Pinball at MacBeth's Comic shop on 124 street is free. I think the High Run Club has a couple as well.

Oh... the High Run Club. I was there every day (except one) during a summer when I was in High School, and every day I played Star Trek: The Next Generation. I loved that table so much, and I was thrilled when they added it to The Pinball Arcade. I haven't been to The High Run Club in years and years.

SDM, yeah, I think the local Pinball group often meets at Denizen Hall. I'll have to go there sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Gallagher's pub on Whyte has a machine.
    Indeed they do.

Also, Top_Dawg heard that Gallagher's has been sold.

Will operate as is for a few weeks.

Then the new owners are shutting it down for a while to do a major reno.

Top_Dawg hopes they do a nice job and it becomes even better.

Not much in this part of town.

Bonnie's Lounge is alright but it's a dive.

And Duggan's Landing is too cramped and way overpriced like all the other Sherlock's.

A decent bar would be a gold mine here.

Great news. I started patronizing Gallagher's for all the reasons you mention and was surprised to notice things picking up in the last three months or so - bigger crowds, better vibe. I agree, it could be a real killer.

The food was always sketchy however so I was pumped to see Dixie Lee Chicken and Seafood open next door.

Back on topic. Here's an older (but worthy) article about Pinball/Arcades http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3740422/the-life-and-death-of-the-american-arcade-for-amusement-only

The guy who owns the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas used to own a number of arcades. He cashed out at the right time, took his money and moved to Vegas where he opened the Pinball Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Great news. I started patronizing Gallagher's for all the reasons you mention and was surprised to notice things picking up in the last three months or so - bigger crowds, better vibe. I agree, it could be a real killer.

The food was always sketchy however so I was pumped to see Dixie Lee Chicken and Seafood open next door.

Back on topic. Here's an older (but worthy) article about Pinball/Arcades http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3740422/the-life-and-death-of-the-american-arcade-for-amusement-only
    When Top_Dawg read about Dixie Lee he thought aj was off his rocker.

So last night Top_Dawg drove by just to make sure.

And aj is not off his rocker.

Dixie Lee banner is hanging on the space right next door.

Top_Dawg hadn't noticed it before.

Looks like they are going to open very soon.

This is gonna be a great option for the area !

I think Dixie Lee is open already in fact. They were last Friday when I stopped by the pub. As a young fella we used to always get Dixie Lee Chicken on road trips to Freddy Beach - good times.

Speaking of nostalgia where were the authentic arcades in Edmonton? My favourite Halifax haunts were Backstreet Imports (nee Amusements) and the arcade at Bayers Road Mall. Between Sam the Record Man and the arcade (and eventually The Red Fox tavern) I spent the treasures of my youth at Bayers Road.

I think all the arcades in Edmonton were in malls. I spent most of my time at the Capilano Mall arcade, but the best one had to be at WEM. I remember being disappointed in the Bonnie Doon arcade whenever we went there.

After elementary school at Grandin, Top_Dawg went to middle school and high school in the Bonnie Doon area.

This required bus transfer downtown.

Too many days Top_Dawg and his pals got stuck in these snake pits.

The first one Top_Dawg and his gang hit up was Michael's on Jasper. It was where Hop's Handbags was later built. They conveniently opened at eight bells so it was perfect. Top_Dawg can still remember the sea donkey that worked there. She must have weighed about 350 pounds. And had an attitude to match. Holy ***.

Then there was another arcade near the south-east corner of 101 street and 102 avenue. Right about where the front doors to today's Bank of Montreal are located. That one opened at ten bells. Top_Dawg forgets what it was called.

Across 101 street was the Glass Head. Next to the old Rialto cinemas. About where the street entrance to Lux Steakhouse is today. That was a pretty rough place. Tons of drug dealing went on there.

There was also Good Times Billiards. Above Black Bull Pizza. Which is Hawkeye's Too today. Top_Dawg almost lost his life when he got in a brawl on the staircase leading up to there one night.

Then there was Top_Dawg's favorite - Tilt's. On 105 street just north of 100 avenue. Where the Impark parking lot is just west of what used to be the Sheraton Caravan Hotel. Whole area was a hooker stroll. Tilt's was always full of pimps, hookers, drug dealers, and other unsavoury types so Top_Dawg fit right in.

...such fond memories.

I remember the Bonnie Doon arcade. It was located where the Royal Bank is currently. It had a separate entrance, can't access from the mall. Yeah it was crappy.

But just across the street from Bonnie Doon was the Keg 'n Cue billiards. It was downstairs in the strip mall. There was a separate room with an arcade. they had a couple of pinball machines but we spent many quarters on Double Dragon.

Scona Billiards was also a great venue for pinball. Open 24 hours. Thay had the Taxi pinball game.

Yeah, Top_Dawg remembers the Keg 'n Cue.

They had a liquor licence.

Then a young fella got fatally stabbed in the stairway leading down to it.

And that was basically the end of it.

Seems to Top_Dawg that the police never solved that murder.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I think all the arcades in Edmonton were in malls. I spent most of my time at the Capilano Mall arcade, but the best one had to be at WEM. I remember being disappointed in the Bonnie Doon arcade whenever we went there.
    Which one in WEM? I remember two of them: one adjacent to Galaxyland, another in the Phase 3 food court next to McDs.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

The one in the Phase 3 food court is still there, though it's very, very limited in terms of the games they have (no pinball!).

I liked the one that was part of Galaxyland, but the Phase 3 food court one was good as well. I think they were probably close to being the same size.

Kingsway also had a good arcade.

Ill definitely be checking this out. Sucks that the one place i got a lot of my pinball parts for has closed down and i still have a machine I've yet to get around to fixing up. I've been tempted to sell it but the Mrs won't let me as we damaged a lot of walls moving it to where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    Ill definitely be checking this out. Sucks that the one place i got a lot of my pinball parts for has closed down and i still have a machine I've yet to get around to fixing up. I've been tempted to sell it but the Mrs won't let me as we damaged a lot of walls moving it to where it is.
    Talk to someone at the expo in May. Maybe they can hook you up for parts and/or repair service.

Which table do you own?

I've got a revenge from Mars. It was a machine I fell in love with in 2002. A couple years back I spent forever trying to find one to buy. SML had one for $5k. I offered them $3500 and they told me to pound sand. Pins in Edmonton are ridiculously priced. I've lost out on a few during auctions that I've chased after. Broken pins going for $2000 seems a bit steep when I imported a RFM from Europe for $1500.

It's been a project I've worked on but haven't put enough time to getting it running perfectly. I had to crimp a bunch and convert the power supply... Had it running but still needed to replace a few bumpers....

I did meet some sweet collectors though who were gracious enough to show me their collections and give me advice on what I needed to do. The one guys man cave had 6 pins worth over $100,000. It's a shame how ridiculous prices can be for decent pins. At one point I spent a year trying to pay someone to help teach me how to do the repairs I needed before I found a collector who was willing to take a few minutes of his day and teach me what I needed to know...

Looking forward to meeting everyone at the event.

Ahh, that's one of the two pins with the video screen, isn't it? I haven't played that one, but always enjoyed Attack from Mars.

The rise in prices of pinball machines has been linked to The Pinball Arcade, a pinball simulation game that recreates existing tables for mobile, consoles and computers. People have noticed that the tables rise in price once the table is released in The Pinball Arcade, as people remember how good the table was and want to own one.

Curious what the 6 pins were that would be over $100,000.

Yeah RFM is the one with the cool video screen. I wish I knew the exact pins this one collector had but this was a couple years back now. They were pretty cool to see and play.

If you guys are interested in checking out The Pinball Arcade, their website is http://pinballarcade.com. I also run a fan forum for the game: http://www.pinballarcadefans.com.

Just a reminder that this is on this weekend. I took my son (4 years old) tonight and he lasted way longer than I expected. All the tables are free play, so the only price you pay is the entrance fee ($15 tomorrow, I believe). Tons of tables, some I had never played before, and lots of old favorites.

YEGPin is coming up again... May 5-7th. http://www.yegpin.com/

It's being held at the Alberta Aviation Museum this year. No more sleezy motel. Maybe I'll finally meet Thomas.