Thread: 4th area code coming to Alberta in spring

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default 4th area code coming to Alberta in spring

4th area code coming to Alberta in spring
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...pril-1.3458384

Alberta is getting a fourth area code in the spring.

The new 825 prefix will be introduced gradually across the province beginning on April 9, once there is no longer an adequate supply of the 403, 780 and 587 codes, the Western Telecommunications Alliance said in a release.

"To ensure a seamless transition to adding the new area code, businesses are encouraged to consider whether any changes will be required to their phone equipment," the alliance said.

"For example, businesses that restrict long distance calls will need to reprogram their equipment to accept the 825 area code as local."
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Not to derail the thread but interesting that the link off CBC Edmonton website takes you to the CBC Calgary site. Does CBC not have any reporters in Edmonton any longer that could have picked up the story first? Oh, nevermind...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Unfortunately, another overlay. We could have had area codes that actually mean something, like 403 for Calgary, 780 for Edmonton and 587 for the rest of the province. Or 403 for landlines and the others for mobile.

Does anyone know what is driving this? It seems that we got away with having one area code up until year 1999, at which point we had slightly over 2.5 million people. We now have 3.6 million and need an extra 3 codes? I know there's been a lot of growth in cell technology since then, but it seems like a lot.

Some quick math here, but at 3.6 million people, and even a generous estimate of 3 numbers per person (land/cell/work), that's 10.8 million numbers. Each area code should give you about 10 million numbers. I know some numbers are reserved, but are the telecoms only allowed to give out certain ranges of numbers for each code?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

You have to realize the amount of Cell technology outside of just you and I, think of each oil site for example. Each well may have numerous numbers due to cell technology utilised on board.

That being said I don't understand why Alberta doesn't have better overlays. As mentioned, 780= Edmonton, 403 = Calgary, ...

It's not too hard to figure out
    Many people have a home phone, a personal cell, a work cell, a work phone, a smart device w/ 3g like an ipad (that requires a phone number even if it can't make calls). And many other devices that require phone numbers. Fax machines are still in use. Many remote sites have things that call home, and require a phone number like remote monitoring equipment. The alarm system in my house has its own 3g.

The numbers within an area code are bought by telcos in blocks and resold to you. My work place has a range of XXX-2900 thru XXX-2999 and XXX-3400 thru XXX-3799, but we don't use all those numbers (yet)

Prior to the explosion of cell phones we had one phone number per household. Now we have at least one number per person.

And we should really stop calling them area codes. They're prefix codes assigned to particular jurisdictions.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

I'm just surprised someone thinks we are still at 3.6 million in Alberta when we are actually 4.2 million and more now. Analysis PUBLISHED - Dec 16, 2015. On October 1, 2015, Alberta's population reached 4,216,875, up 69,835 or 1.7% from October 1, 2014. The national growth rate was 0.9% over the same period as last quarter. Alberta accounted for 23% of Canada's population increase over the past year and ranked 1st in the year-over-year population growth rate. - See more at: http://economicdashboard.albertacana....bBIcw5qn.dpuf
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-02-2016 at 02:52 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 53latitude View Post
    That being said I don't understand why Alberta doesn't have better overlays. As mentioned, 780= Edmonton, 403 = Calgary, ...
    Because then nobody has to change their phone numbers, such as when northern Alberta had to switch from 403 to 780.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    It's not too hard to figure out
    Many people have a home phone, a personal cell, a work cell, a work phone, a smart device w/ 3g like an ipad (that requires a phone number even if it can't make calls). And many other devices that require phone numbers. Fax machines are still in use. Many remote sites have things that call home, and require a phone number like remote monitoring equipment. The alarm system in my house has its own 3g.

The numbers within an area code are bought by telcos in blocks and resold to you. My work place has a range of XXX-2900 thru XXX-2999 and XXX-3400 thru XXX-3799, but we don't use all those numbers (yet)
    Not to mention any vehicle with onstar, numbers used for services that don't even make or receive calls (adsl only connections, fibre optic connections without voip, etc), and entire blocks of numbers being non-usable like anything with a 310, 811, 911, 311, 411, etc., and things like voicemail and location routing numbers.

I wasn't answering any of my calls that started with an area code starting with 8. Now I will need to adjust. (They were all crap calls)

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I wasn't answering any of my calls that started with an area code starting with 8. Now I will need to adjust. (They were all crap calls)
    I don't answer anything that's not in my address book. If it's important they can leave a message.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

This is turning into a New Springfield / Old Springfield situation. When is The Who concert?