Thread: Pampa opening second Edmonton location

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Pampa opening second Edmonton location

According to Graham Hicks, it'll be in the South near Workshop and Cured at Ellerslie & Parsons Road:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/02/2...elebrates-meat

I'm not a vegetarian but the picture in the Sun is not appealing to me. I'm sure the food is good but that picture would not tempt me in. Half cooked slabs of meat on a pole look about as appetising as road kill. Only thing missing in the picture is the flies around it. Put the meat on the plate add the trimmings then take a photo.
    Hey, new job for me. Food Critic!
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I'm not a vegetarian but the picture in the Sun is not appealing to me. I'm sure the food is good but that picture would not tempt me in. Half cooked slabs of meat on a pole look about as appetising as road kill. Only thing missing in the picture is the flies around it. Put the meat on the plate add the trimmings then take a photo.

FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

I'd rather C2E than work!

Half-cooked? It's beef.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Dear restaurateurs:

PLEASE OPEN A F--KING RESTAURANT ON THE NORTH SIDE!!!!!!!!!!
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Funny.

That's exactly what Top_Dawg thought when he saw it.

Surely they could have found a better picture.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Dear north-siders:

Please join us Downtown.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

Dear north-siders:

Please join us Downtown.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Funny.

Except the picture is showing how the meat would actually be served.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/02/2...elebrates-meat

Looks like something a bunch of hungover drunks tried to barbeque on a long week- end in July. I would not be impressed if that was slung on the table I was eating at.
    Hicks is a Hick if he thinks that looks palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

Funny.

Except the picture is showing how the meat would actually be served.
    .............and that's what we are complaining about.

Then it's a good thing the article showed you how they serve the meat there so you know not to go and take up seats the rest of want.

C2E SME

Looks like something a bunch of hungover drunks tried to barbeque on a long week- end in July. I would not be impressed if that was slung on the table I was eating at.
    Hicks is a Hick if he thinks that looks palatable.
    Have you ever been to a Brazilian steakhouse? Because that's essentially the entire concept right there in that picture. And to me, that looks absolutely delicious.

^Thanks for the heads up, I'll stick to my regular steakhouse haunts. Not sure I'm up for a carcass of barely cooked meat slapped in front of me. If they cut it in the back then brought it on a plate to the table it would be a different matter. I don't need to see the 20 pounds of the animal when I only want 8-10 ounces of it.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Yeah, the whole thing reminds Top_Dawg of going with a group for teppanyaki style.

Different.

Great to see.

Once.

But nothing about it compels a return visit.

C2E SME

I've only been to Pampa once, and it was alright. I've been to much better Brazilian steakhouses in the US. And yes, it's definitely not something you'd do on a regular basis, and only meat lovers should apply.

^Thanks for the heads up, I'll stick to my regular steakhouse haunts. Not sure I'm up for a carcass of barely cooked meat slapped in front of me. If they cut it in the back then brought it on a plate to the table it would be a different matter. I don't need to see the 20 pounds of the animal when I only want 8-10 ounces of it.
    So no prime rib at the buffet for you either?

^Well usually you get your food from the buffet table. The carver carves the meat as you graze by. He's not bringing the whole rare cooked cow to the table. You don't have to sit and look at the slab or be cautious of it galloping off.
    I realize this whole hunk of raw meat is a guy thing but don't know why. I suppose that some of you are thinking that the Pampa picture should be on the front page of Sports Illustrated. If the meat was wearing a bathing suit some of you may like it better. Now, I am by no means implying that you guys see women as slabs as meat as I think you are all gentlemen, but it seems pictures of steaks and meat invoke some very strong reactions.

Because only weirdos like beef overcooked. Bloody half slabs of meat on a pole is brilliant. I think its Hickish to not like it IMO.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

I don't know that it's a guy thing. My girlfriend loves her steak rare as well. And so does my mother. And many other women I know.

Personally I'm confused at the idea of being squeamish of having the meat cut at the table. It's actually very practical because you can tell the carver how much you want and how you want it cut. You also don't have to worry about it baking under heat lamps or cooling off on the way to your table. Or even whether it' done the way you want as you tell the carver which piece to cut for you.

(As a side note for home cooking, I've been experimenting with sous-vide and steaks held at 133F for a couple of hours turn out gloriously tender and pink)
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 25-02-2016 at 03:39 PM.

I'm not against steaks I just don't find the picture that was posted very appealing.
    As an experiment show it to a female and ask if they think the meat in that picture looks appealing the way it is presented.

Yeah, the whole thing reminds Top_Dawg of going with a group for teppanyaki style.

Different.

Great to see.

Once.

But nothing about it compels a return visit.
    It puts me in mind of sitting having a nice picnic on sunny day and a chunk of frozen toilet sludge from a plane lands in the middle of your picnic blanket.
    In a restaurant when you say 'where's the beef' you should not have to view the whole animal especially when it's cut up like a dogs breakfast (pardon the pun).

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Dear north-siders:

Please join us Downtown.
    300,000 people live north of the Yellowhead and all we get is chains and Vietnamese restaurants. I think we deserve better.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I've only been to Pampa once, and it was alright. I've been to much better Brazilian steakhouses in the US. And yes, it's definitely not something you'd do on a regular basis, and only meat lovers should apply.
    We concur a mediocre Churrascaria at best; comparatively. Pampa uses economical cuts for the most part and far too much salt for our tastes. The chicken and pork were dry like plywood maybe it was an off night, regardless been there done that.

It's funny how people hate to be reminded that the meat they're eating is actually...meat. They want the taste but without any reminders that an animal got killed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
    It's funny how people hate to be reminded that the meat they're eating is actually...meat. They want the taste but without any reminders that an animal got killed for it.
    I don't think most people care. Most probably wouldn't want to slaughter the animals themselves, but they probably don't want to fix their own cars or paint their own homes either.