Thread: Don Iveson Performance Review

highlander

Default Don Iveson Performance Review

it's come up a few times lately, So I thought we should have a place for this discussion:

How's Don doing? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Rant/Rave Away.

highlander

Myself, I've been disappointed with him so far. His blog posts and his campaigning led me to believe that he would have more of a vision, but too much of the time as mayor he seems all to willing to sit back and wait.

He needs to be able to build a vision and sell it. He didn't do that on Photo radar, but luckily council was on-side. He's let bike infrastructure kind of happen without him. He's been outrage with no solutions on LRT, especially the metro line but also the Valley line where he hasn't said much about design flaws that are especially apparent since Metro opened.

Seems to me he's becoming the Don't-rock-the-boat Caretaker mayor that Leibovici looked like during the election campaign. That's not what his voters were looking for.

I'd rather C2E than work!

He has not disappointed me. There again I did not expect much. He seems way to willing to support administration and not challenge them as he did with the airport lands.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

For me he seems too preoccupied with things outside of his realm - ending poverty, reconciling with First Nations etc.

Not sure if its him or administration but the conditions of the roads seem to have improved slightly.

The real test will come in about 6 months once taxes start declining and there is a need to cut city services. We will see if he does in the right spots.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Myself, I've been disappointed with him so far. His blog posts and his campaigning led me to believe that he would have more of a vision, but too much of the time as mayor he seems all to willing to sit back and wait.
    His blogs were like they were written by a different person. He used to write about the municipal sprawl plan. Then, when he gets in power, he moves ahead with annexation which will to a significant extent end up as sprawl. I expected him to be like Nenshi, to actually take on the vested interest groups (even if it meant fighting them in court, like the Shane homes case), and implement some ideas like the prioritized growth plan in Calgary. Instead, he just sort of rolled over, gave up, and retired his beliefs.

He's been on a steady downhill since the start.

The people want answers on Metro, and reassurances they won't be duplicated on Valley. Nothing from Iveson on those fronts.

The people AND the media believe photo radar is being managed as a cash cow and not as a safety tool, with ample evidence of the former. Iveson has thrown tantrums, suggesting reasonable people are criminals.

The people AND the media feel the funicular is a boondoggle that, while being paid for by infrastructure grants, will cost the city in the long term for little to no results. He's all over it.

I know these are limited issues, however they are indicators of overall performance. In my job, I do regular temperature checks with my clients to make sure I'm doing a good job and to make sure I have a pulse on what their issues are. He seems to ignore what the voters are saying. This leaves me feeling like my concerns are not important, and I feel as though that's becoming a general consensus with the public at large.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

highlander

I agree with Don on photo radar, but he handled it badly. He came off as arrogant, did little to assure people that the proceeds were going to be targeted to making those same street safer, and nothing to assure us that locations are being chosen based on safety, not just on there being an easy place to park.

He has shown that no matter what the issue, as a mayor he is a huge wimp.

Every issue from transit to slum landlords. Just a big wimp.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Now all! That seems quite harsh....

While I also was very disappointed with the way Blatchford was handled, the continued approval of sprawl (when infill is getting cancelled from lack of sales), the removal of bike lanes, getting out of affordable housing all together, prioritizing freeways for federal funding, etc...

He has made some good changes too. Such as the restructuring of administration, funding some smaller projects and representing the city well on the national stage.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Too be fair Iveson's not a bad Mayor. Ok so the Nait line, Groat road and Waterdale bridge fiasco's didn't go well. Having the word opportunity misspelled, also didn't go well. I get the impression that this soured economic state we're in wasn't what he had hoped for on his watch. With all of the above, it seems like this is a man that wants out. If he runs for a 2nd term in '17, I'd be very surprised but I'd vote for him.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

During good times with the ease of raising taxes, the ease of raising debt loads and money to spread around, any mayor looks great. Then in tough times, as the bills from the good time spending binges come due, no councillor or mayor will escape unscathed.

highlander

^^Most of those fiascos, other than the handling of the aftermath of the Metro Line, were not his responsibility.

The Mayor doesn't proof-read signs, nor does he approve beam bracing.
    He should set priorities, push a vision, and lead.

His handling of Blatchford says he's happy to let admin lead, and that what vision he does have he's fine with it being a low priority. Ditch huge quality-of-life amenities like the recreational lake to save room in the budget for the tiny marginal improvement offered by district energy? If you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Too be fair Iveson's not a bad Mayor. Ok so the Nait line, Groat road and Waterdale bridge fiasco's didn't go well. Having the word opportunity misspelled, also didn't go well. I get the impression that this soured economic state we're in wasn't what he had hoped for on his watch. With all of the above, it seems like this is a man that wants out. If he runs for a 2nd term in '17, I'd be very surprised but I'd vote for him.
    Opportunity misspelled.

Yeah it's always that some long forgotten guy at the front end making the decision to contract out everything always gets a promotion or big bonus.

Then as the savings from contracting out services diminish and the costs of following up and policing the contractors rises, all those who have to live with a legacy of conditions beyond their control, get their reputations shredded for posterity.

It's more how he handled his communications with those things that occurred during his watch, not so much what happened. I dont hold him responsible for the delays, I hold him responsible for the way, and manner, in which he communicated with his electorate. I also hold him responsible for not trying to fix things before tendering the LRT contract. It's not too late, or wasn't at the least.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^Most of those fiascos, other than the handling of the aftermath of the Metro Line, were not his responsibility.

The Mayor doesn't proof-read signs, nor does he approve beam bracing.
    He should set priorities, push a vision, and lead.

His handling of Blatchford says he's happy to let admin lead, and that what vision he does have he's fine with it being a low priority. Ditch huge quality-of-life amenities like the recreational lake to save room in the budget for the tiny marginal improvement offered by district energy? If you say so.
    I never said they were his responsibility

Of course

I'd rather see a beach at Hawrelak that most people can use, then a funicular that very few would use.

The proof is in the sprawl pudding. Calgary dealt with its sprawl. Not so under Iveson (all his election campaign donors were developers).

Big effin fail

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Iveson has thrown tantrums, suggesting reasonable people are criminals.
    Compared to his predecessor, that was nothing; now HE was arrogant and temperamental...

it's come up a few times lately, So I thought we should have a place for this discussion:

Rant/Rave Away.

Yeah, that just about covers it.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Safir View Post
    The proof is in the sprawl pudding. Calgary dealt with its sprawl. Not so under Iveson (all his election campaign donors were developers).

Big effin fail
    I think that's why Nenshi has been so effective / why east village is full of condos versus quarters still being a wasteland. He was an outsider, and somehow, he has had the leadership charisma to get other Councilors to stand up with spine and put the breaks on. Iveson is very disappointing in comparison, but like you say, there's probably a reason for that.

^Boy moa, you are soooooooooooooooo in luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv with Nenshi.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Calgary dealt with sprawl because it has (had) the governance and economic conditions to do it. Edmonton has a whole bunch of non-cooperative sprawl hungry municipalities on our borders willing to cut tax rates and allow the least sustainable development known to mankind. That is why annexation is so important - so we can control the growth. As it stands the counties and small munis will just undercut Edmonton so bad development jumps the border.

Edmonton should have annexed the entire metro region long, long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Iveson has thrown tantrums, suggesting reasonable people are criminals.
    Compared to his predecessor, that was nothing; now HE was arrogant and temperamental...
    Mandel was, however the difference is that Mandel acted like that to further the interests of the public, not against the public.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Don Iveson has been very quiet compared to Stephen Mandel. He isn't showing much leadership when it comes to dealing with city administration, Blatchford, the delayed construction projects etc. When it comes to dealing with adminstration, he isn't trying hard enough given how serious the problems are. He could have summoned the entire adminstration to city hall to get an ear full but no, he just summoned the manager and asked him if anyone had died as a result of the LRT, to which the manager said "no", Iveson's come back was something like "so this situation isn't that bad after all". Seriously Iveson, that is your comeback??? that is such a pathetic comeback Don, Mandel would have yelled like a drill sergeant.

Nenshi has been blowing his trumpet all the time, Don Iveson doesn't which is keeping Edmonton out of the spotlight.

He seems to be someone that doesn't want to get his hands dirty, doesn't want to go the extra mile for better results. I didn't vote for a "caretaker" mayor, I voted for a leader that has a vision and will get things done.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I get the impression, this is just a job for him from here on out, that he's not going to run for another term.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I'm not a mind reader but I think with this current economic downturn his watch inherited, kind of took the wind out of his sails.

Complete dud and i for one am hoping for a complete revamp in Council next go around with an eye to fiscal prudence. With mass exodus of people here shortly the city could easily be Detroit in 5-10 years. Noone wants to live here with middling economic prospects and 5%+++ increases per year in property tax

I get the impression, this is just a job for him from here on out, that he's not going to run for another term.
    Same here, it seems like he's just putting in time punching the clock. I hope he doesn't run again or looses if he does. All downhill since his Apple-cool man of vision and conviction campaign.

I'm not a mind reader but I think with this current economic downturn his watch inherited, kind of took the wind out of his sails.
    And I would add, difficult times require fortitude which seems to be lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by happydays View Post
    Complete dud and i for one am hoping for a complete revamp in Council next go around with an eye to fiscal prudence. With mass exodus of people here shortly the city could easily be Detroit in 5-10 years. Noone wants to live here with middling economic prospects and 5%+++ increases per year in property tax
    Edmonton's economy has been strong and Edmonton will continue to grow. Slower growth, but continued growth. The taxes are a problem, largely borne of our odd regional industrial setup and decades of unsustainable low-density sprawl.

I absolutely support LRT, but not the mayor/council's current vision for LRT. I don't like how blatchford was mishandled, and how the only city-wide amenity to come out of it was simply brushed off like it was no big deal. I don't like hearing the mayor/council say they were backed into a corner with funicular funding - it shows a lack of leadership, if you don't want it or agree with it, make a stance about it. Again, this was more or less brushed off. The NAIT LRT got a similar treatment, we have not heard any updates or solutions or how they plan to avoid this again. This was just all tossed aside. I don't even think a bike lane has been built under his tenure.

Like others who have posted, I thought he would bring a fresh, bold vision for the city, but that seems to have gotten lost. Overall I have been unimpressed and disappointed - that goes for the council too.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Calgary dealt with sprawl because it has (had) the governance and economic conditions to do it. Edmonton has a whole bunch of non-cooperative sprawl hungry municipalities on our borders willing to cut tax rates and allow the least sustainable development known to mankind. That is why annexation is so important - so we can control the growth. As it stands the counties and small munis will just undercut Edmonton so bad development jumps the border.

Edmonton should have annexed the entire metro region long, long ago.
    ...and to say that is to ignore the huge part that Edmonton played in cooking its own goose...and giving Calgary far far far far far too much credit.

After playing hardcore in the annexation game, my opinion is 100% different than it was in 2000.

...if "urban" is so darn good, then the product will be built, and Edmonton could take a leadership position...a position that is sorely lacking...

so...to blindly say annexing the area whilst ignoring the colossal reasons why annexation isn't a good option...well...it says a lot about shooting from the hip.
    Tired of being taken advantage of .