Thread: Provincial Gov't To Develop Transit Strategy

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Provincial Gov't To Develop Transit Strategy

Albertans can have their say about funding criteria for new municipal transit initiatives and rural bus service, as well as a new provincial transit strategy.

“Investing in modern public transit benefits all Albertans. An improved transit system will encourage more commuters to choose transit, reducing congestion in our cities and helping us meet our climate change goals. Improved rural bus service will provide Albertans living in smaller communities with reliable access to essential services in larger centres, like health care facilities. It's time for us to create a new vision for transit in Alberta.”

Brian Mason, Minister of Transportation
    “Contributing to a provincial transit strategy while listening to what citizens are telling us through the development of the City of Edmonton’s Transit Strategy will help us align priorities across the Edmonton Metropolitan Region. This approach supports our long-term vision and promotes the vitality of our city.”

Don Iveson, Mayor, City of Edmonton
    Engagement process
    There will be two streams of engagement – urban and rural – and an online public survey, all of which will inform the development of an overall provincial transit strategy and criteria for future funding for municipal transit initiatives and rural bus service.
    http://www.alberta.ca/release.cfm?xI...7CCBBF947B9FDD

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

How is this different than the city's "Making Trax" initiative? I think that if these levels of government brag about how they cooperate, it may be time that they share this information and not ask for it on several occasions and in several surveys. My answers have not changed...even if it is with my rural property or my urban one...
    President and CEO - Airshow.

^What does Transit mean for rural areas? Buses to neighboring towns? HSR at the nearest town? Its all a bit unclear, what's relevant to someone in downtown Edmonton or Calgary, is different from someone in suburban, or ex-urban, or small town, or pure rural areas. Seems like a bit of a make work project. I did the survey as well, it wasn't the most intuitive thing, and could be interpreted various ways.

Just finished the survey.

Excellent direction for the Province.

My three themes:
    1. Just effing finish the LRT systems in both big cities. Citywide. Not just Calgary. No fiddling around piecemeal to here and there. Finish the networks now.
    2. Fix the bus transit in all sizes of cities - straight lines, reasonable transfer times, trunk frequency.
    3. Daily Daylight intercity rail (no less than seven days/week, no overnights) to Calgary/Banff, and Jasper (plus outside Alberta to Vancouver and Winnipeg.)
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Top_Dawg loves this.

Rural transit.

For the whopping three passengers a day that would use it.

It would just be one big money pit.

Greyhound has been trying to shed it for years.

^ urbanisation.

Red Arrow seems to be in tune with it, bypassing everything under 50,000.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

This sounds like a "go nowhere" initiative. They'll study it to death only to realize it's not affordable / sustainable and then we'll get a new government.

FWIW I received a personal note from Shannon Phillips (along with a standard form response from her assistant) in response to a letter that I sent to the Environment, Transportation and Municipal Affairs ministers with regards to public transit infrastructure, economic stimulus and the environment. The response from her reads:
    Thank you for writing to all of us & we share your view that now is the right time to invest in infrastructure! More details soon, via Budget 2016.
    I'm interested to see how this will pan out, the optimist in me would like to see substantial public transit infrastructure investment from to Province in Budget 2016 to match the Federal government's ambitious public transit spending plans but I'll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by stevester; 03-03-2016 at 12:27 PM.

highlander

I just completed the survey - there's not much there. I emphasized that many towns are too small/remote for transit but still many still need a non-car way to get around.

Finished with this:

"Every "Pedestrians on Roadway" sign in rural Alberta is a sign that our highways-only model doesn't work."

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    "Every "Pedestrians on Roadway" sign in rural Alberta is a sign that our highways-only model doesn't work."
    I thought those were only where the highway goes through/past a Reserve.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I mentioned that as a non-driving urban person, it's difficult for me to take a small town vacation. Travel Alberta assumes that one drives (i.e., rents a car) at the destination.

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I thought those were only where the highway goes through/past a Reserve.
    Mostly, but I've seen them in other places. Some of those reserve communities were built spread out along the "highway" long, long ago when there was almost no motorized traffic and the highway was a perfectly safe walking route. Now the highway sees relatively high 110km/hr traffic but there has been no safe alternative built.

But it doesn't matter. The reality is that for much of rural Alberta there is no safe non-driving option, especially in the north where there are fewer back roads, and in busier parts of rural Alberta, including in the hinterland around the big cities where traffic seems to be high everywhere.

^^Small town Alberta.

"Our town was so small..."

"How small was it?"

"...the one dog was shared between us, two hamlets and the village 90 miles away."

But we are getting a High Speed Rail Station
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

highlander

^You laugh, but there are few populated places in alberta where the nearest "big town" of several thousand people is more than say 50km away.

That's an all-day walk, but it's 2 hours or less for a faster cyclist or electric assist bike or 3 hours for a slow sedate cyclists, or a mobility scooter. For someone who can't drive or can't afford a car that's a whole lot better than waiting for a bus that will never come.

Even today greyhound only hits that big town, and it will never make sense to stop a a small town if it's not directly on the way.

I think people who live in secluded places like that, expect to be secluded and mostly like it that way. They do not expect the province to provide them with transit options.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    I think people who live in secluded places like that...
    Sounds like the advertising blurbs for some suburbs / exurbs - Windermere, St Albert, etc.