Thread: FC Edmonton 2016 Season

Default FC Edmonton 2016 Season

Go Eddies!
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Default Dan Barnes: FC Edmonton building soccer culture on and off the pitch

Dan Barnes: FC Edmonton building soccer culture on and off the pitch

DAN BARNES, EDMONTON JOURNAL
    Published on: March 10, 2016 | Last Updated: March 10, 2016 3:55 PM MST

Head coach Colin Miller is optimistic that playing four pre-season matches in Scotland will help prepare FC Edmonton for the 2016 NASL season.

While head coach Colin Miller hopscotches around the old country with a group of 30 players, assistant coaches, therapists, public relations and administration personnel, FC Edmonton’s new general manager Jay Ball will be minding the store for the next two weeks.

“I need to stay behind. I have to sell tickets. I have to make sure April 10th goes the way we want it to go,” said Ball, referring to the team’s North American Soccer League home opener against Minnesota at Clarke Park.
    Source

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Jay has really been getting things done! He's been able to give the Supporters their own section behind the goal after years of being told by the previous administration that it just couldn't be done. I'm really excited for this season and the enthusiasm that Jay has brought. #FearNoFoe

^ Just assuming, that's behind the South goal, near the beer service?

C2E Continued Contributor

rain or shine!!
    man i hope we get a proper beer garden one day... and hearing that the new mobile giant screen is finally here

C2E Long Term Contributor

Unlike certain other local teams, FC Edmonton has stuck with their coach through their long stretch of futility.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

i think the last 2 seasons have been pretty good actually. futility my as s

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The best way to improve the fan experience is to make Clarke a soccer only stadium. That way the two sets of bleachers currently located below the touch line on the south end could frame the field by facing the field of play on the north and south ends (located on what are now the football end zones). Moreover, there would no longer be those distracting football lines.

With the installation of the new playing surface at Foote Field last summer, surely the minor and junior football games currently played at Clarke could be moved to Foote.

Yes, directly behind the goal, from what the ESG is saying the new stand will be wheeled in for Eddie's games and moved back out as to not affect the gridiron guys. This, along with the large screen, will make a huge improvement to the venue in closing it off and making it feel like a "real" stadium.

@ East McCauley, the gridiron lines have actually been gone since they replaced the turf a couple seasons ago, so no more worrying about that!

Tom and Dave Fath don't get near enough love for what they're doing for soccer in this city. I really wish the people of Edmonton would see that a fill up Clarke!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^The gridiron lines are added in chalk every time a football game is played. They're still fairly visible despite efforts to erase them during soccer games.

Agree with you about the Faths. Definitely under appreciated. Another reason that Clarke should be soccer specific without the added expense of wheeling the new stand out of the end zone to accommodate football games that draw mostly flies for spectators.

Looking forward to this after skipping a year for FIFA WWC, but I can't find when Flex Packs go on sale.

I have been a season holder since day 1. The games are always fun to attend and the game experience has been steadily improving. My children love going too. This season will be no exception.

I still can't understand why the support is not there. I know there are tens of thousands of people in town who follow all the various European leagues and MLS, myself included. Toon Army!

The NASL is what it is. It is what we have and hopefully it will allow us entry into MLS one day. If you are a soccer fan, give it a try. You will probably enjoy it and in the long run you are supporting not just FC Edmonton but the entire sports scene.

Go Eddies!

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The NASL is what it is. It is what we have and hopefully it will allow us entry into MLS one day.
    The club doesn't have any aspirations for the MLS. Fath has shares in the NASL and was instrumental in the starting of the league so it doesn't make sense. It's unlikely the club would leave for the rumoured Canadian League as well. With the very different league structures it's likely that the NASL will begin to catch up to the MLS in the next couple years and we could have two Division 1 leagues in North America. Hopefully that would start the real debate for pro/rel

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Looking forward to this after skipping a year for FIFA WWC, but I can't find when Flex Packs go on sale.
    Come get your tickets with the ESG in the new section!

Quote Originally Posted by realkevbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    The NASL is what it is. It is what we have and hopefully it will allow us entry into MLS one day.
    The club doesn't have any aspirations for the MLS. Fath has shares in the NASL and was instrumental in the starting of the league so it doesn't make sense. It's unlikely the club would leave for the rumoured Canadian League as well. With the very different league structures it's likely that the NASL will begin to catch up to the MLS in the next couple years and we could have two Division 1 leagues in North America. Hopefully that would start the real debate for pro/rel
    I hope you are correct. All I want is the ability to watch live, the highest caliber soccer product available, whatever the league.

At the moment, MLS has more prestige and funds. I am assuming that is why Vancouver, Montreal and Minnesota left.

What do you think?

Precisely. It's unfortunate that unless it is "the best" Canadians don't seem to support it. The thing is, the more people that come, the more money the Club gets, the better players they can sign and the quality of the product goes up. Right now Fath is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a year of his own money to bring us a great product as well as developing local kids into national team players. He needs to more than sell out Clarke to break even. The fact that we're still so competitive shows how committed he is to making this work. Fath has stepped up, now it Edmonton's turn

so we have supporters section behind the south goal now and a new giant screen on the north end. This will be good. looking forward to picking up a new ball too with the league's new under armour deal

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Come get your tickets with the ESG in the new section!
    Ha ha, actually I have sat with ESG 3 or 4 times.

More of a centre line guy when I can make it though. Easier to understand what's going on.

^ centre line is where it's at!

The Eddies beat Partick Thistle 2-0 yesterday in their first pre-season match in Scotland. Goals from new signings, Alberta born hero Nik Ledgerwood and Jake Keegan. Great to see the new guys making their presence felt right away! http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2016/...artick-thistle
    Next match is Tuesday March 15 at 1:45 mountain time at Airdrieonians

If you want to know all things Eddies, NASL and Edmonton soccer give Nathan and Adam a listen on their podcast Loyal Company of the River Valley: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...ey/id982388099

The Club just uploaded highlights from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdA9N31exc
    Last edited by realkevbo; 14-03-2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Highlights from the match

Default FC Edmonton kicks off Scottish tour with a pair of wins

FC Edmonton kicks off Scottish tour with a pair of wins

MICHAEL ARCURI
    Published on: March 15, 2016 | Last Updated: March 15, 2016 7:04 PM MDT

FC Edmonton couldn’t have mapped out a more perfect start to their Scottish tour — generating buzz and goals in each stop along the way.

“Everywhere we go people are asking, ‘What’s this FC Edmonton?’ ” head coach Colin Miller said. “Everyone here is football daft. The guys are getting recognized and people are speaking about the club, which is fantastic.”
    Source

While the results are nice, and I love that they're playing, and getting some love in Scotland, these would have to be best viewed as FC Edmontons better lineup going against an AHL or prospects lineup in Exhibition season to use an Oilers comparison.

These aren't starting lineups we're playing. Mostly prospects and Unders.

That said I like what they're doing and could be a good team bonding experience.

Hopefully this is the year this team starts making some noise.

Also like that the NASL is moving in a more exposure oriented direction. They are growing the verve in this product. It won't ever be the former NASL, and it shouldn't strive to be, but it could settle on being an upstart MLS of sorts. Or a WHA again going into the hockey analogy.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Default Eddies draw 2-2 against newcastle united u-21

EDDIES DRAW 2-2 AGAINST NEWCASTLE UNITED U-21
    Ameobi, Jalali score for visitors
    Mar 18, 2016

FC Edmonton (2-1-0) remained undefeated through three preseason matches, after coming back from a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 with Premier League’s Newcastle United U-21 squad. The Friday, Mar. 18 match at Newcastle United Academy grounds featured arguably the highest profile opponent the Eddies have faced in team history.

More

Of special note is that Terry Dunfield of Whitecaps and TFC fame trialed and apparently played well. Will be interesting to see if he fits in with an already very talented midfield

Eddies finish the pre-season undefeated with 1-0 win over Queen's Park today. Season starts on April 2nd in OKC, I can't wait so see them play. Home opener is on the 10th, make sure you get your tickets, or hop on the bus from the Pint Downtown.

On a side note, anyone going to Vancouver for the Men's National Team game against Mexico this weekend? They've sold 50,000 tickets already and are predicting to sell the remaining 5,000 before Friday! If they can it would be the highest attended national sports team event in Canadian history. I can't wait to feel the atmosphere there! Allez le Rouge!

Single match tickets are on sale for the home opening on April 10th here: http://www.fcedmonton.com/single-match-tickets

ESG Matchday Bus (best deal in town) tickets here: https://fcesg.yapsody.com/event/book...27?ref=elinkfb

Support Local Football

One day until the season opener! Watch party at 1st Rnd Downtown at 5. Preview: http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2016/...ent=1459524385

had fun at the media invitational today. while the rest of the city was covering the rexall thing i had a nice training session (lol there were only 4 of us, you can;t pay for stuff like this) and talk with coach miller about the pre-season and new players for the spring. sunday, as usual, is rain or shine for me

Default FC Edmonton keeps their undefeated streak alive with season-opening draw

At first glance, it may look like FC Edmonton was lucky to have come out of their spring season-opener with a single point.

After all, they were forced to play down a man for a full hour on the way to a 0-0 tie against Rayo OKC last Saturday.

But it’s not the Eddies who were the lucky ones.

“We played 10 men for 60 minutes, unfortunately Albert Watson got sent off, our captain,” said FC Edmonton head coach Colin Miller. “I wouldn’t have said we were fortunate, I wouldn’t have said Oklahoma were that much superior, although they did play well at times.
    Source

Wow, weather not cooperating. Last year we went to home opener and intense winds made it hard for the teams to even play the game. Any ball getting air was blown off the field. Was a strange game where every pass had to stay on the ground to maintain control.

Well last night wind speeds hit 90K locally. Supposed to be better tomorrow but still gusting winds although colder tomorrow. Who knows, forecasts have been ****. Yesterday supposed to be a beautiful day and sunshine and 20C all day and it was 10-13 most of the day and cloudy.

Tough to schedule any games in Edmonton this time of year. Hopefully theres not wind sheer events on Sunday that cause the ball to blow into Clareview..
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-04-2016 at 07:17 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Not sure if anybody went but I didn't.

In retrospect glad I didn't. 1C to watch the club be entirely dominated by Minnesota who won 2-0 in addition to hitting a cross bar and causing VanOekel to make multiple saves.

For those keeping track this is now two games completed and the team hasn't scored a goal yet. Not a single goal. Sounds like familiar woes for this club.

So yet another offseason of promises, of supposed big signings, and another "flat" homefield performance by the club who, I just found out, failed to sign one of the few players worth watching, Lance Laing, who just happens to play for Minnesota now. As per usual we're 1pt out of last place and our customary spot.

Too bad theres no Scottish U19 clubs to play in the NASL.
    Last edited by Replacement; 10-04-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Ya it was a tough match to watch. there were moments when the Eddies made some nifty plays but for the most part they were completely outclassed by MNU. VanOekel was my man of the match for the Eddies for keeping the score as low as it was.

On the Lance Laing front, the club offered him a very good salary, one of the highest in the NASL, but he rejected it in favour of going to Minnesota who will be moving up to the MLS next season.

Ya it was a tough match to watch. there were moments when the Eddies made some nifty plays but for the most part they were completely outclassed by MNU. VanOekel was my man of the match for the Eddies for keeping the score as low as it was.

On the Lance Laing front, the club offered him a very good salary, one of the highest in the NASL, but he rejected it in favour of going to Minnesota who will be moving up to the MLS next season.
    Thanks for the background. Wasn't aware Minnesota were going MLS next year. I guess that makes sense then that they would be very much in acquire resources mode. Laing would have to have been our best player. Really I'm kind of less familiar with the returning lineup other than Fordyce, Amoebi, Watson, Ledgerwood, VanOekel

Pablo Cruz, haha, what a name. Some parents had a sense of humor.

Man, VanOekel looks like he's going to be wanting to kill somebody for all the miscues in front of him. How do you even have 55% possession and give up twice as many scoring chances. Just like last season this teams play with the ball and decision making is deplorable. Any pass back has to be guaranteed to retain possession. That's a fundamental, you'd never know it from watching this squad play.

That's the tough thing. Watching a team that has trouble with scoring AND plays stupid football. I frankly expect more from this squad and a Colin Miller coached team.
    Still not getting it. Miller should be furious after that game.

I would expect to see a hand full of changes next game. Mallon Roberts was terrible. A number of stupid giveaways with one resulting in the first goal. The whole dump and chase doesn't work either, let's try a little tiki taka :P

I would expect to see a hand full of changes next game. Mallon Roberts was terrible. A number of stupid giveaways with one resulting in the first goal. The whole dump and chase doesn't work either, let's try a little tiki taka :P
    Yeah, I noted Mallon Roberts for all the wrong reasons as well.

Trouble is the team was disintegrating under pressure just minutes into the game. When the back end is this unsteady, and the decision making of the club, it undermines any confidence the club might have.

I'm kind of surprised at it and that a coach like Collin Miller isn't able to teach and instill more calm in the lads. Or perhaps he doesn't get it. Maybe he doesn't see that its not the team not knowing what to do, its when they get out there and see real game pressure they panic in the moment. This is taking off just where it left off last year. Just the way the club started last year.

Heres some things I would instill in this club;

When in doubt kick it out.

When you have no obvious play see above or kick it long.

Don't take so long with the ball. When a player is converging make a safe outlet while you have time. I see players on this club trying to have bravado with the ball but getting stripped.

Get it back to VanOekel but gawd make sure it gets there.

Just some simple things to defer to instead of losing your head. I see players on this team freeze in panic with the ball when pressured.

Miller seems to think this club is more game savvy then they are. But if he instills some cool in the lineup there is some talent here. We need other teams to worry about what we can do. Pressure other teams instead of getting pressured. 55% possession should have led to better but the damn miscues. We're handing goals away.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-04-2016 at 07:59 AM.

FC Edmonton lose again on the weekend and worse of all again shutout 1-0.

FC Edmonton have not even scored a goal this season.

No other team in the league have zero goals. Several clubs have scored 6 goals.

This is about the hardest NASL team to watch year after year but inevitably comments will come about why Edmonton doesn't support this club well.

I love Soccer, and have a hard time ever loving this side.

I think it's only getting harder as time goes on. Other teams are shelling out money for players these days and lil' ol' E-Town can't afford to go on a spending spree without the numbers to come and support. I think this season might be a tough one.

The game over the weekend was much better than the Minnesota game and we were at least competitive, but questions need to be asked about said lack of goal scoring.

FC Edmonton get a big W today at home against Ottawa. 2-0 and looked good doing it although Ottawa is the weakest side in the NASL.

Still, signs that perhaps this club is starting to gel. There were more good moments than questionable moments today.

Weather was bad though so not many fans there. I watched it from the warmth of the rec room. Was around zero and with a drizzle almost all day today. Brutal conditions for fans but not so bad for actually playing.

Weather actually wasn't that bad! As long as you dressed for the weather and kept moving around. My feet were frozen after but that was it. Nothing us resilient Edmontonians can't handle....

Overall game was very good, whatever was said during the half time team talk seemed to work brilliantly. The backline of Watson, Diakite and Edwards were top class the whole game and made VanOekels job easy, good to see them back in form. Corea and Keegan also put in a good shift, while Ledgerwood was all over the pitch! We looked cohesive and in form today and i hope it carries over to next match!

FC Edmonton with a big win on the road over Jacksonville 1-0. Got the W on an explosive mid air side boot from Diakite which flew right into the corner. Wonderfully taken strike. To say he got all of it was understatement. Diakite was reportedly phenomenal in the match both as a defender and making things happen all over the pitch. FC Edmonton after two consecutive wins now in middle of the pack in NASL standings. Have one more road game before coming home to take on the NY Cosmos.

We actually host the Fury on Wednesday in the first leg of the Voyageurs Cup! 7pm kick off, huge game, make sure you're there! It's a busy period for the guys, i hope they can weather it.

Got a well earned point in Jacksonville over the weekend! Keegan with a beauty header, i think he's starting to come into his own.

A bunch of supporters trekked down to Calgary to watch our academy play the Foothills in a friendly. Closest we get to a derby game. Our young guys got a well earned 1-1 draw. https://twitter.com/FCESG/status/729319593911541761

How about that game yesterday? Anyone attend?

Caught the second half on CITY (apparently it was also broadcast on ESPN 3). The camera work was bush league but the field/crowd looked great. The broadcast team did a really good job - Steve Sandor and that British fella from CBC radio. Entertaining game, great win. Go Eddies.

Bodes well for a good game against the RailHawks next week.

Great game yesterday!! The team was clicking, the supporters sections was on fire. So much fun. Carolina on Sunday will be a big test. A win over them would cement us as a real threat in the title race.

Still need people to come out, attendance was under 3K again, but it definitely felt more full than it's been in a while. Cheap and fun! Come out!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Great game yesterday!! The team was clicking, the supporters sections was on fire. So much fun. Carolina on Sunday will be a big test. A win over them would cement us as a real threat in the title race.

Still need people to come out, attendance was under 3K again, but it definitely felt more full than it's been in a while. Cheap and fun! Come out!
    I'm going to try to check out a game. Thanks for the updates
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Also - despite the slow start to the season, they are now 4th (out of 11) in the NASL.

^ Slow starts seem to be our thing unfortunately. With a win on Sunday we could potentially vault into 1st place, and 3 of our last 4 games this spring season are against teams lower in the standings.

Here's the Edmonton Supporters Group's Facebook page where you can buy tickets the our section, plus learn some of our songs: https://www.facebook.com/FCESG/?fref=ts

Also don't miss the getting to the Tavern on Wednesday to watch the Eddie's take on the Furries again in the Voyageurs Cup, we have a big deficit to overcome (3 goals) but if they boys play like they did on Sunday they should be in good shape.
    Last edited by realkevbo; 17-05-2016 at 04:28 PM.

I'll be there for the second season. I'll wave when I go past the supporters.

FC Edmonton won 2-0 in Ottawa but one goal shy of tying up the two game series due to their 3-0 loss at home. So we're out of the Voyageurs cup but with these games not being included in NASL standings so no real impact there.

tbh This season I would trade doing well in NASL play vs doing well in Voyageurs cup play. Not that its mutually exclusive, but often seems to be for teams..

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    tbh This season I would trade doing well in NASL play vs doing well in Voyageurs cup play.
    I agree, with how we're playing in the league right now, undefeated in 4, and a chance at finishing top two, i would have preferred to have played a B team in Ottawa last night. start a couple of guys that don't usually start. now we have a tough game against carolina on sunday and many of out first team have played 5 games in 2 weeks so will be fatigued

BIG 1-0 win over the Carolina Railhawks this afternoon in absolutely miserable weather. The Eddie's briefly moved up to first in the league until the Cosmos defeated the Rowdies later in the afternoon. Eddie's are currently sitting in second, one point behind the Cosmos.

After their most succesful spring season in club history the Eddies resume their 2016 NASL campaign on Saturday with the beginning of the fall season as they take on Rayo OKC. The watch party is being hosted by FC Edmonton and the Edmonton Supporters Group at the Tavern on Whyte. The all ages event begins at 9.

http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2016/06/29/a-look-ahead

ALSO: THE ESG BUS FROM THE PINT FOR THOSE GAMES IS ONLY $19! INCLUDES FREE PINT AND FREE TRAVEL FROM/BACK TO THE PINT DOWNTOWN.

^I must be getting old, I remember going to watch soccer games, and only paying about $5. I guess $15 isn't too bad, although that bus sounds a little pricey even with a thrown in pint.

When was that? The old Drillers? I'm sure back in those days Oilers tickets were only $20 and not $80. I'm not sure what you were expecting, this is a professional team that needs to pay its players and staff a living wage

^lol, different city, different country, but similar situation where soccer was the second sport behind another (rugby). But yeah, it wasn't professional (my dad was the chairman of the soccer association / and organized much of it, I remember going to games as a child), I guess the ticket prices are fair today (although not a lot cheaper than CFL, which you can get some great specials on). I don't know if lowering them would result in more people attending, I guess that's a difficult calculation, as fans will probably be willing to pay more than general public. To some extent doing a special like this might allow the team to get some gage on that.
    Last edited by moahunter; 22-07-2016 at 09:41 AM.

MATCH DAY vs NEW YORK! Hot weather, cold beers, should be a beaut!

Count me in
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

A beautiful victory - 2-1.

So glad to be getting back in touch with the Eddies after a rough spring for myself.

Very happy to see Guenzatti be denied by Van Oekel. Will never forgive that NY POS for his ugly and stupid diving.

Yes, what a match! They came out strong in the second half, that's for sure. Great atmosphere as well, as usual. Onwards!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

The game was really good. The crowd was having fun, great atmosphere.

If you have not gone to a game, you are missing out.

They do need more paying customers, I would hate to lose this team.

This past weekend was huge for the Eddies! After a very hard fought 1-0 victory against Puerto Rico and dropped points by the NY Cosmos and Minnesota United, the Eddies find themselves tied for first place with a game in hand! The boys are back at home this coming Sunday against a tough Minnesota team and needs to take all three points to come even in the Fly Over Cup! With a group of United supporters making the trip up north we need to pack Clarke, be loud and help make Edmonton the toughest place to play in the league. The Eddies have won 8 straight at home and we're sure to be shown great match. And remember to help stuff the FCEd bus with food for the food bank!

Steve asks the question which I have been asking all season, why the hell aren't we supporting OUR team? There are enough soccer fans in Edmonton to sell out Commonwealth if they were engaged enough.

http://the11.ca/what-the-hell-edmont...-win-you-over/

BIG game on Sunday! Win and they're in to the playoffs officially! 2pm kickoff with Okctoberfest festivities! 20 bucks gets you a ticket and a hot dog and pop as well.

Steve asks the question which I have been asking all season, why the hell aren't we supporting OUR team? There are enough soccer fans in Edmonton to sell out Commonwealth if they were engaged enough.

http://the11.ca/what-the-hell-edmont...-win-you-over/
    Can't speak for everybody but I dislike Clarke Park. Team should have stayed at Foote field. 3 times I've been to Clarke park. 2 of those times the wind was so intense (absolutely nothing there to stop wind) that they had trouble keeping the ball anywhere on the pitch. The other time it was cold and raining. Everytime the weather was ****** and theres absolutely no protection, no indoors, hardly in that facility to warm up or anything. You practically have to go to the washroom just to get out of the elements for awhile. They really have had some ****** luck over the years with bad weather occurring during scheduled games.

ftr I'm fine going to Commonwealth, any time of year. Least theres place there to get out of the wind, rain and weather for awhile. At Clarke park if weather of any kind hits its miserable. Add that the facility is dangerous during any thunderstorm.

Just to respond to your last point the scheduling is typically idiotic. Thanksgiving Sunday for a football game. Almost anybody has a Turkey in the oven. Forecast looks to be around zero on Sunday with strong possibility of precipitation (literally freezing rain, snow, and sleet.)

Pop? how about Hot Rum toddies?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Can't speak for everybody but I dislike Clarke Park. Team should have stayed at Foote field. 3
    Not a fan either. Not for the soccer experience but because the back parking lot becomes for paying VIP customers only and the Rec centre parking lot is too small to be useful, always full. Makes taking young ones to the pool that much harder.

So I'm thinking they should paint the ball something other than white and the walkup crowd won't be so good.

Is this FCEdmonton club cursed with terrible weather? Seems like ever since they moved to Clarke its been bad luck with weather on game days.

I never attended any games at Foote, but from what i hear from the guys that did they hated it way more than Clarke. Said wind was just as bad.

As for parking, the park and ride by the LRT station is free, that's where i park when i don't take the ESG bus from the Pint.

It does seem that they are cursed when it comes to weather unfortunately. It would definitely help if they had a real enclosed stadium, not indoor of course. There's only so much the Fath group can do without the city's help. I suspect they'll bring out the ol' orange ball today!

I never attended any games at Foote, but from what i hear from the guys that did they hated it way more than Clarke. Said wind was just as bad.

As for parking, the park and ride by the LRT station is free, that's where i park when i don't take the ESG bus from the Pint.

It does seem that they are cursed when it comes to weather unfortunately. It would definitely help if they had a real enclosed stadium, not indoor of course. There's only so much the Fath group can do without the city's help. I suspect they'll bring out the ol' orange ball today!
    Wind wasn't as bad on the pitch at Foote field as the field there is sunken, not at ground level. Only thing effected majorly by wind is airballs that get too much loft in the first place. Plus that the concrete stands on west side unlike Clarkes temp bleachers actually block wind. Only fans on cheaper east side get much wind blowing.

Foote field in anycase is an actual facility. Clarke Park hasn't felt like since they tore down the bigger stands. In retrospect another silly decision that took place here.

Agreed that the facility definitely needs work. Even if they just put a roof on Big Blue and put some wind breaks around the stadium, it would improve the experience greatly

WELCOME TO WINTER CITY FOOTIE FEST!
    Join us at Churchill Square this Saturday to watch FC Edmonton make history!

FC Edmonton is set to make history! The team will be travelling to face Indy Eleven in the North American Soccer League (NASL) postseason semifinal, with a win opening the door for the Eddies' first trip to the championship finals. In celebration, the Eddies and several partners will present the first-ever Winter City Footie Fest in Churchill Square on November 5. It has been a season to remember so far, and it’s not over yet. Support your boys in blue in Churchill Square as they head into battle in a single-match, winner-take-all game on November 5. In partnership with the City of Edmonton, Edmonton Tourism, GoodLife Fitness and Tres Carnales Taqueria, the Eddies will broadcast the match live at Churchill Square on North America’s largest mobile screen, with a flurry of activities to partake in before, during and after the match. The free-to-enter WINTER CITY FOOTIE FEST will include a Family Fun Zone, beer garden, live local music, food trucks galore, FC Edmonton player appearances and MORE!

http://www.fcedmonton.com/news/2016/...to-winter-city
    www.decl.org

^ Go Eddies! Whoop Whoop!

No other place for this really. Not sure if anybody watched the MLS final in Toronto on the weekend. Toronto Vs Seattle for the MLS cup. Toronto had beat Montreal to get there.

Wow, rabid fan support for FC Toronto on a chilly night. Fans hardly sat down all game. Weird to see that kind of enthusiasm in Toronto. Toronto was the best team in the match by a mile but couldn't solve Frei who made one of the best stops I've ever seen in Soccer. Just absolutely took a goal away from Toronto in OT.

Seattle predictably went onto win in penalty kicks despite not getting a SOG the entire 120 mins of play. Predictably Frei was much better in net then the Toronto keeper and it was the difference.

I try to get into MLS from time to time but the brand of soccer just isn't so great. Even though they have lots of good plays the style of play is odd to me. Lots of broken play, terrible possession football, endless turnovers, and games dominated by D. The Cup final in all was a poor quality game but mainly due to the cynical style of play by Seattle who played for the scoreless tie all night.