Thread: Lack of volunteers forcing Edmonton community league to fold

Default Lack of volunteers forcing Edmonton community league to fold

Hard to believe... Changing times, changing priorities, changing culture I guess.

March 14, 2016
    Lack of volunteers forcing Edmonton community league to fold

Sarah Kraus, Reporter, Global News

For the first time, one of Edmonton’s community leagues is on the brink of being dissolved, thanks to a lack of volunteers and membership.

Londonderry Community League’s skating rink hasn’t been flooded in years and the soccer fields have sat empty for even longer.

Without volunteers to run events and sell memberships, the community ran out of money.

“Things came to a head last spring when they couldn’t afford to run their building any longer,” explained Edmonton Federation of Community Leagues’ Executive Director Allan Bolstad.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2577205/la...eague-to-fold/

C2E Long Term Contributor

I have been chatting about this with a few people in recent years; most leagues will be very challenged in the next five to ten years.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ that wouldn't surprise me, but in the news they only mentioned Londonderry and contrasted it with a successful community league.

One of my first postings to c2e:

Community League fees via Property Taxes

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...read.php?t=298

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The City of Edmonton should consider adding an OPTIONAL line item that would collect fees on behalf of our community leagues. This might allow communities to focus their membership drives on apartment dwellers, etc. as well as provide more stable year-over-year cash flows.

This is probably opening the proverbial 'can of worms', but what is wrong with that? If the City can boost the overall effectiveness of groups working for the best interest of Edmonton why not throw more support behind them - especially if it makes them far more efficient at meeting their mandate. The City already provides numerous community specific supports and outright community grants and programs, so why not fee collection support to allow each community to be more self-sustaining?

Note: my personal experience is that my community RARELY managed to contact me for membership (I was rarely at home) and I only joined maybe ? two in 10-yrs.? Though I didn't have any children I was quite willing to pay the fees to support the community's kids and programs - checking a box off on the property tax form would have solved that.

The EFCL is an excellent organization and we really need to get 20-40s to start to donate time and experience.

One competing and complicating issue is HOAs.
    www.decl.org

Get rid of HOAs.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

I'm of the opinion that we have too many communities and community leagues in this city. I don't know why they are so tiny. You could combine at least half of them and have a better population base for each one.

The prevailing issue is what is in it for those 20-40?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Speaking of younger people, I also think the internet is rapidly changing the nature of community.

Being on a community board - I am having a difficult time in justifying its future existence. At one point the CL was there to facilitate community sports and programs. Today most sports are registered via a much larger area (i.e. zones) due to most communities not being able to facilitate a whole team. The programs once offered have dwindled as well over the years for a variety of reasons. Now all that's left are a few family social events and a hall rental service.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    In my opinion...
    That is part of the prevailing problem...a generation or two ago it was about serving the community for the benefit of all...seems now it's all about "whats in it for me"

Times change I guess...

T

^Bingo Tom.

If you have to ask yourself 'what's in it for me' to volunteer for YOUR Community League, perhaps you are precisely the person who needs to go find out.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    Being on a community board - I am having a difficult time in justifying its future existence. At one point the CL was there to facilitate community sports and programs. Today most sports are registered via a much larger area (i.e. zones) due to most communities not being able to facilitate a whole team. The programs once offered have dwindled as well over the years for a variety of reasons. Now all that's left are a few family social events and a hall rental service.
    Concur in part, they need to continue to adapt and seek to be relevant and effective where they can be and assist in other ways as well. This is something that the EFCL Board knows very well and has been working on strategic plans to reflect this.
    www.decl.org

In my opinion, GenY, IanO and Tom H have all missed the mark. To my eye CL executives are not the cliched, grey haired domain they are made out to be. Plenty of 25-45 year old energy. Perhaps not at the EFCL level.

Before leagues start amalgamating (which is a good conversation to have), EFCL needs to better prove it's necessity. Just don't see the value as it is presently constructed.

At the last RGM a few weeks ago, RGM in the fall, AGM last spring the average age was certainly up there and while only 2 reps from each board were there, the majority of those were older. There certainly is a group of 25-45s, but we really need to get more of that group involved as a whole.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Nothing has changed in terms of why people volunteer, what has changed is what services a community league can provide that residents want. Fifty years ago leagues got support because they provided services that people wanted/needed. Now they're in decline because what was necessary 50 years ago is now provided by other means.

Why would people volunteer for organizations that don't provide meaningful service to the community?

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

'Why would people volunteer for organizations that don't provide meaningful service to the community?'

Perhaps review what the EFCL does, directly or indirectly, for individual leagues.
    www.decl.org

^This is precisely my point. In my experience, EFCL, as it presently exists, is not a particularly valuable resource.

^^And strangely Paul, I would posit the leagues have better access to much more cash than they have in the past.

I am not quite sure many on here have a very full understanding of what the EFCL does for Leagues, maybe that is part of the issue.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    'Why would people volunteer for organizations that don't provide meaningful service to the community?'

Perhaps review what the EFCL does, directly or indirectly, for individual leagues.
    The point being what community leagues provide has become non-obvious to the communities they ostensibly serve. If they want community involvement then it shouldn't be a research project to figure out what they do.

I'd also note that like most NFP volunteer organizations they are member driven and can choose what programming to add/delete to meet the needs of their community.

Another part of what we see is government, particularly Municipal but also Provincial/Federal, have replaced the work done by volunteer organizations/service clubs with taxpayer funded departments in many cases.

Not sure if that has been a good thing.

IMO

T

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post

The point being what community leagues provide has become non-obvious to the communities they ostensibly serve. If they want community involvement then it shouldn't be a research project to figure out what they do.
    For the most part, it isn't that hard....
    www.decl.org

I am not quite sure many on here have a very full understanding of what the EFCL does for Leagues, maybe that is part of the issue.
    Then that is on EFCL. As an active CL and district participant I'm afraid I've heard a long list of what EFCL DOESN'T do. Sure, in terms of development issues, they can claim to speak on behalf of league concerns but I don't find their issues or opinions to be representative. Not based on the conversations I have with members. Some of the administrative work they offer is useful, otherwise, as an organization it's a bit of a head scratcher.

I'd also add that the system of CRC's is equally beguiling.

For the most part, it isn't that hard....
    Not relevant. Most residents barely know their community league exists let alone the EFCL. If these organizations are providing benefit to residents then the organizations need to make that clear.

The irony is the EFCL has this on their site:

Community leagues are engaged with their communities, with each other, with the City.
    If they were engaged with their communities they wouldn't have a volunteer problem.

In fairness Paul, many leagues don't have a volunteer problem despite some Jeremiah's prophesying.

^correct, most do not currently, although some certainly do, but it is more about the mid-term where a lot of folks might be stepping down.

How do we get CL's to be more relevant and people to be engaged?
    www.decl.org

I had considered getting involved in my community league as I'm not overly crazy about how things are currently done. Then I noticed just how many people are on the Board of Directors & realized one voice isn't gonna change the direction. Plus I wanna get the heck outta Oliver in the very near future & don't wanna start something I won't finish.

Until then I'll put up with the mediocre community league & their horribly wasteful & totally terrible community newspaper.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Really ?

Top_Dawg thinks that the community newspaper is the one thing OCL executes very well.

I've never been terribly fond of The Yards, at least not after the first issue hit my mailbox rife with poorly written articles & more ads than an in-flight magazine.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Top_Dawg is talking about the Oliver Community News that comes out quarterly.

Yeah, totally in agreement about The Yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg is talking about the Oliver Community News that comes out quarterly.

Yeah, totally in agreement about The Yards.
    Ah, we're on the same page on both counts then.

Community Leagues seem to be falling by the wayside as in todays world we do not need to rely on our neighbors like before. Years ago people would get together in the neighborhood to discuss things like traffic issues, crime in their neighborhoods etc. All kinds of one on one interactions going on etc. Now with social media you get information two minutes after it's happened. No need to wait until the weekly community league meeting to hear about it. It's old news within two hours. With more and more recreational activities to choose from league halls are not being utilized like they used to. People are not as territorial as they used to be of their neighborhoods. Now most cities are just one humongous blob. No longer like small towns where just about everybody knows everybody else.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Yet there is a bright side.

Gone are the days when you would stumble into your community league hall and get assaulted by the sight of two dozen neighborhood hippo-mamas, squeezed into spandex suits two sizes too smal, doing aerobics or jazzercise or something.

That was just

....ghastly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    In my opinion...
    That is part of the prevailing problem...a generation or two ago it was about serving the community for the benefit of all...seems now it's all about "whats in it for me"

Times change I guess...

T

I do serve my community and my league, but as for the services offered and benefits... I will still ask how they directly benefit me? I am in Malmo.

Pros: rink, summer/winter carnival, annual "cook off", sense of input and "community", knowing neighbours and their views/sense of caring for neighbourhood, impact and voice on changes to community.

Cons (what it doesn't do for me): I am in my late 20's and for all that is going on in my community league... nothing appeals to me. An executive member mentioned a craft beer night or food night similar to Ritchie's, but I have friends how already do that, or there are the events that I know about in other leagues or across town that i already enjoy - thanks to the internet and friend groups (and their Facebook's).

My league at the moment is only really good for soccer, annual events, and development issues (West Corp, UofA Farms) - which are good! don't get me wrong - but as far as what DECL or Oliver does... we don't have the density. Our ccommunity was gutted when all the homeowners became seniors, and now, only because of West Corp and maybe the Mitchener Park residents, does out league remain relevant. we have more new families and "young" people like myself moving in, but as we move to build a new hall this year... we've really been asking... what does the future of "community leagues" look like?

The "hall", as I know them, act more like places to rent and hold functions, and lack passive amenities. Would residents be able to swing by and pick up a book a neighbour has left in the "book-to-borrow" community library? Sit and have coffee on a street-side porch with friends? I mean, my buddies and I use a rink for some curling matches, but we're there a few times a season...

I'm participating, but struggling to redevelop my community league's building and "community" concept for the future. I'm the exact demographic that will use this building and I am short for words. What can I do? As a body it is important (civics and development mambo jambo), but in providing me services and some community aspects? I think not. ps: no kids. Thoughts? Help? Ideas?

Nothing has changed in terms of why people volunteer, what has changed is what services a community league can provide that residents want. Fifty years ago leagues got support because they provided services that people wanted/needed. Now they're in decline because what was necessary 50 years ago is now provided by other means.

Why would people volunteer for organizations that don't provide meaningful service to the community?
    Precisely, and I am all for trying to make events/services available to my community through the league, but... I can easily - and with no effort and with great reward - get them elsewhere. Very close indeed. Mind you... I am a man with no kids in my late 20's. But I am a home-owning resident that loves community. Homes have 1 or 2 kids today, not 4 or 5 like my parent's day.

Also a con... but yet a pro.. I'm having interesting one-on-one discussions about infill, traffic, transportation, and lifestyle with people a lot older than me who outright disagree or slightly "kind of understand where I am coming from", and "at least you dress respectable", as one member put it. I'm young and care, but it appears I'm only there to "pass through" and move to Vancouver or something.

The EFCL is an excellent organization and we really need to get 20-40s to start to donate time and experience.

One competing and complicating issue is HOAs.
    OK, I figured out EFCL, and, of course, guessed that anything ending in CL was a community league, but what are 1) HOA's, 2) CRC's, 3) NFP's?

You folks are worse than the government sometimes
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

1) Home Owner's Association
    Edmonton first, everything else second.