Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 801 to 896 of 896

Thread: Ice District Tower B | ~150m | Under Construction

  1. #801

    Default

    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...s-ice-district
    The vast majority of the 483 Sky Residences units have one bedroom or one bedroom plus a small den.
    The smallest units, at about 500 square feet, start around $300,000, while two-bedroom suites with 920 square feet start just under $700,000 and rise to more than $1 million for 1,221 square feet.
    Underground parking stalls cost extra.
    So a 920 sq footer, plus a stall, on a floor ~10 floors up would be $800k & change after taxes. My back of the envelope calculations weren't tremendously far off.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  2. #802
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,953

    Default

    Fair enough. Definitely too steep for my blood.

  3. #803
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    Maybe they're catering to local NHL players, etc?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  4. #804
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,953

    Default

    There's 400-500 units in Stantec. That would make little sense.

  5. #805

    Default

    Wow. Good on them for trying to sell at that price. I don't know how much of an appetite there is in this city for prices like that but maybe I'm wrong.

  6. #806
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    There's 400-500 units in Stantec. That would make little sense.
    You need to remember the market for NHL players that purchase a unit, and then we chase out of town. Emerging market.

  7. #807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    1000 sq ft condo for 6000$ a month , not including utilities.
    Not sure how you arrived at that rental rate, given that they're condos.
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    $1m-25% down=$750K mortgage.

    $750K mortgage at 4% & 25 year amortization = ~$4000/mo.

    Plus condo fees & a safety margin et voila! A $6K/mo wouldn't be outta line for a larger condo in Sky.

    (Round numbers used strictly for the purposes of examples & are not meant to convey actual suite pricing or whatnot, just to show a $6K/mo rent isn't way, way outta whack.)
    I was totally being sarcastic and taking a jab at the prices of sky residences. Its sad to see that this is not such a far fetched number as i imagined in my head.

  8. #808

  9. #809
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,382

    Default

    Surprised this hasn't really risen above grade at all yet

  10. #810

    Default

    I think it has to do with handing off the site to Graham..

  11. #811
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I think it has to do with handing off the site to Graham..
    Pandora box is always full of surprises ... where hand offs are concerned.

  12. #812
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,680

    Default

    ^^most definitely. December startup again I am hearing.

    This tower will be rental product I am told.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  13. #813
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    ^ Someone here said something about $600K year?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  14. #814
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Someone here said something about $600K year?
    So $50k a month in rent?

  15. #815
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Someone here said something about $600K year?
    Not sure what this means in the slightest.

  16. #816
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,680
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  17. #817

    Default

    Isn't that the Encore crane?

  18. #818
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,680

    Default

    Look to the right a wee bit. Gap filler for this angle.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  19. #819

  20. #820
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,271

    Default

    Tower crane being removed.
    http://www.rogersplace.com/time-lapse-5/
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  21. #821
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton (belevedre)
    Posts
    6,467

    Default

    What happened to the project down there ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

  22. #822
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,271

    Default

    Change of contractor from PCL to Graham. They will bring in their own crane.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  23. #823
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,644

    Default

    I wonder when the new podium will start going up?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  24. #824
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    St. Albert, AB
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Tower crane being removed.
    http://www.rogersplace.com/time-lapse-5/
    Also a great live-feed view here: http://icedistrictproperties.com/ice...ct/live-feeds/ (select the Southwest view)

  25. #825
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I wonder when the new podium will start going up?
    I was told December.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  26. #826
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,488

    Default

    Are they removing both cranes from this site?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  27. #827
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,644

    Default

    Taken December 9, 2017 From inside Rogers Place


    Downtown construction 2017
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr


    Downtown construction 2017
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr

    Looking at the second shot I took, I wonder if they will open up the roadway to be the new pedestrian corridor this hockey season?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  28. #828
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,481

    Default

    ^I've been wondering the same thing about the underground parkade which has to be very close to being finished?

    Could be a nice revenue generator before the JW Marriott and Stantec open.

  29. #829
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^I've been wondering the same thing about the underground parkade which has to be very close to being finished?

    Could be a nice revenue generator before the JW Marriott and Stantec open.
    The UG parkage is used as logistics storage for material staging since there is essentially zero laydown space.

  30. #830
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,421

    Default

    That assumes PCL have turned over those parkade portions to the Owner. If so Owner or GC can pre-purchase materials for selected subs like drywall, glaziing, hardware and have it ready for use if they are prepared to pay subs in advance or to supplier directly.

  31. #831
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Strathearn, Edmonton
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    That assumes PCL have turned over those parkade portions to the Owner. If so Owner or GC can pre-purchase materials for selected subs like drywall, glaziing, hardware and have it ready for use if they are prepared to pay subs in advance or to supplier directly.
    What?

  32. #832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    That assumes PCL have turned over those parkade portions to the Owner. If so Owner or GC can pre-purchase materials for selected subs like drywall, glaziing, hardware and have it ready for use if they are prepared to pay subs in advance or to supplier directly.
    Material is usually not purchased like that. Unless is specific design elements, sometimes its customer supplied. Such as lighting fixtures , sinks.. thats kinda stuff. Usually it is in the bid byu the subs, the pay and provide the material.

  33. #833
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,421

    Default

    There are developments where active Owners using constructor management model of project delivery will buy steel, curtain walls, interior partitions, elevators, air handling units and even door hardware and release to CM as required. I have been involved in at least 5 major projects where this has been done with Owner accepting delivery of goods on Owners property or into bonded warehouse and not necessarily the project Worksite and also where Owner has taken possession / acceptance of parts of the Work (and site).

  34. #834
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,953

    Default

    Heard from someone that after evaluating tenders received last week that they may be going back to the drawing board. And apparently they've already more or less done that several times. They're having a hard time making the numbers work.

  35. #835
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Heard from someone that after evaluating tenders received last week that they may be going back to the drawing board. And apparently they've already more or less done that several times. They're having a hard time making the numbers work.
    Uggghhh...please NO one here post this on the SSP...that fu#$tard "WhipperSnapper" on there will be have a field day with this info.....

  36. #836
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Heard from someone that after evaluating tenders received last week that they may be going back to the drawing board. And apparently they've already more or less done that several times. They're having a hard time making the numbers work.
    Uggghhh...please NO one here post this on the SSP...that fu#$tard "WhipperSnapper" on there will be have a field day with this info.....


    lol...true.

  37. #837
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Heard from someone that after evaluating tenders received last week that they may be going back to the drawing board. And apparently they've already more or less done that several times. They're having a hard time making the numbers work.
    Man ... this project can make one's head spin with all the changes since it's announcement. I've seen three renders and height reductions. If numbers aren't working, I'd expect a fair amount of cost cutting in the design elements of the building. It's in no danger of being cancelled though right?
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

  38. #838
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,644

    Default

    On a project of this scale (Ice District) there is bound to be many changes from start to finish. We have to more or less consider that the project started with Edmonton tower and will be completed with the Tower C which hasn't even been brought to the drawing boards yet as far as we know. Also the developers have to also consider about their next big project which is the north side of Rogers Place which I believe they own too. How will their current projects affect the viability and success of future developments. Cut back a bit here and there to add a bit more over there.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  39. #839
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    ^ Is tower C supposed to occupy the Baccarat Casino land across the street from the Edmonton tower?

    Thanks.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  40. #840
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,644

    Default

    ^as far as I know that is the Tower C site.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

  41. #841
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    A mix use tower ~ the size of the Edmonton tower would be cool on that property.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  42. #842
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Heard from someone that after evaluating tenders received last week that they may be going back to the drawing board. And apparently they've already more or less done that several times. They're having a hard time making the numbers work.
    Huh. I have some pretty conflicting info on this. AFAIK, submissions from major sub-trades are due this week and they plan to start moving early in the new year. I think this one is still very much at the 'drawing board' (design-assist) stage, but don't think anything has been re-booted at this point.

  43. #843

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    A mix use tower ~ the size of the Edmonton tower would be cool on that property.
    I think Katz at one point mentioned that site for "Trophy Tower" so take that for what it's worth.

  44. #844
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW
    AFAIK, submissions from major sub-trades are due this week


    That was last week. Unless there was an extension.

  45. #845
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    1,380

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW
    AFAIK, submissions from major sub-trades are due this week


    That was last week. Unless there was an extension.
    Electrical proposals went in this week (as in, today)

  46. #846
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW
    AFAIK, submissions from major sub-trades are due this week


    That was last week. Unless there was an extension.
    Electrical proposals went in this week (as in, today)
    Any new info on Tower B in the past couple weeks?
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

  47. #847

    Default

    So i was just reading an info graphic on the edmonton sub reddit. Condo prices year to year (16/17) are down 7% . This is not a good news for tower b.
    Last edited by S3RI3S; 03-01-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Brackets ()()()()

  48. #848

    Default

    We had my mom's condo for sale, Hooke Rd & Victoria trail. Took over a year to sell.

  49. #849
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    So i was just reading an info graphic on the edmonton sub reddit. Condo prices year to year (16/17) are down 7% . This is not a good news for tower b.
    Hmm. Interesting. Maybe they could change it to rental instead? I believe ICE Phase 2 , when it does happen, will be mostly rental.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

  50. #850
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,953

    Default

    Tower B has always been contemplated as rental, as far as I know. Especially given that they opted to sell Stantec as condos instead of it also being rentals.

  51. #851

    Default

    I never understood why they opted Stantec as a rental originally as that will become the premier tower for the city which most couldn't afford anyways. If they could, they might as well put down a payment to buy as rent would most likely supersede the average monthly mortgage ( at the lowest rental rate ).

  52. #852
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    44,680

    Default

    Tower B was always intended to be rental as far as I know.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  53. #853

    Default

    Condo prices are down City-wide 1%, as reported by EJ this morning.

    However, sales of condos Downtown are much more brisk. Not the same as in the suburbs.
    www.decl.org

  54. #854
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    9,953

    Default

    In any case, condo sales/prices are more or less irrelevant as it pertains to Tower B.

  55. #855
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Condo prices are down City-wide 1%, as reported by EJ this morning.

    However, sales of condos Downtown are much more brisk. Not the same as in the suburbs.
    Downtown is down .8% from last year, Oliver is down 3.2%

    But you’ve never been much for facts, have you ?
    Parkdale

  56. #856

    Default

    Yeah, I took a hit at 3 outta 3 Oliver condos this year. One older, one turn-of-the-century & the other pushing a decade old.

    No biggie, I'm still ahead overall & it means lower tax bills even factoring in the inevitable rate increase.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  57. #857
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Parkdale - Goldbar - Downtown
    Posts
    5,186

    Default

    ^ just correcting the charlatan booster who makes things up to suit his narrative

    Good to see you’re still here Noodle. Miss you on the SSP

    Over & out for another little while

  58. #858

    Default

    Quest Condo owner here, property assessment came in $10,000 higher than the year before.

  59. #859

    Default

    Our Oliver condo assessment is up about 8% from last year
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

  60. #860
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GizmoForMayor View Post
    Our Oliver condo assessment is up about 8% from last year
    Really? well its is COE

  61. #861
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Castledowns, Edmonton
    Posts
    190

    Default

    H.L. Assessments are based on the actual sale prices of the condos during the previous year and this is dictated by the provincial government. It has nothing to do with what the "City" figures. You can get the actual sale prices of the comparable condos in your neighbourhood and I do this every year.

  62. #862
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Castledowns, Edmonton
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I also want to say that the City doesn't give a damn about assessed values because it just multiplies the total assessed values by the Mill Rate which they set so that they always come up with the amount of taxes they need to run the city.

  63. #863

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Condo prices are down City-wide 1%, as reported by EJ this morning.

    However, sales of condos Downtown are much more brisk. Not the same as in the suburbs.
    Downtown is down .8% from last year, Oliver is down 3.2%

    But you’ve never been much for facts, have you ?
    Down in sales? I didn't mean assessed value. If so I stand corrected.
    www.decl.org

  64. #864
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    I also want to say that the City doesn't give a damn about assessed values because it just multiplies the total assessed values by the Mill Rate which they set so that they always come up with the amount of taxes they need to run the city.
    So your taxes wont go up then.

  65. #865
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Castledowns, Edmonton
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    I also want to say that the City doesn't give a damn about assessed values because it just multiplies the total assessed values by the Mill Rate which they set so that they always come up with the amount of taxes they need to run the city.
    So your taxes wont go up then.
    Oh they always raise the mill rate enough to get their new pet projects, overadjust for inflation and generally wreak havoc with homeowners budgets. It does look like my taxes might remain about the same this year though for the first time in the last 25 because my assessment went down about $25000 or 7% this year while overall assessment only went down about 2%.

  66. #866
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Downtown YEG
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Tower B has always been contemplated as rental, as far as I know. Especially given that they opted to sell Stantec as condos instead of it also being rentals.
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Tower B was always intended to be rental as far as I know.
    Not to quibble, but definitely was intended as condos, at least in the spring 2016 to summer 2017 period where I was in the market. ONE commented that Legends was the very-high-end condo choice, Tower B the mid-high-end condo choice and Stantec the rentals.

    However, for a few months in the spring of 2016 my requests for info were answered that they were "re-considering the Stantec disposition" and, as we all know now, decided to change Stantec over to condos.

    Given the market, I have noted my own opinion on here before that I suspect they will "slow-play" the building of Tower B OR only build the podium (w allowance, obviously, for future tower add) if things continued downward OR ???

    I don't think either the condo or downtown rental markets is screaming for more high-end units in the current economic times...

  67. #867

    Default

    That was my back-of-the-envelope calculations as well Krok. It'd take a whole lot of monkeying with the mill rate to counter the downward dip in my valuations & it'd affect other people far worse than I if it did happen.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  68. #868
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    I also want to say that the City doesn't give a damn about assessed values because it just multiplies the total assessed values by the Mill Rate which they set so that they always come up with the amount of taxes they need to run the city.
    So your taxes wont go up then.
    Oh they always raise the mill rate enough to get their new pet projects, overadjust for inflation and generally wreak havoc with homeowners budgets. It does look like my taxes might remain about the same this year though for the first time in the last 25 because my assessment went down about $25000 or 7% this year while overall assessment only went down about 2%.
    I guess Calgary was lucky last year, no increases

  69. #869
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Castledowns, Edmonton
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    I also want to say that the City doesn't give a damn about assessed values because it just multiplies the total assessed values by the Mill Rate which they set so that they always come up with the amount of taxes they need to run the city.
    So your taxes wont go up then.
    Oh they always raise the mill rate enough to get their new pet projects, overadjust for inflation and generally wreak havoc with homeowners budgets. It does look like my taxes might remain about the same this year though for the first time in the last 25 because my assessment went down about $25000 or 7% this year while overall assessment only went down about 2%.
    I guess Calgary was lucky last year, no increases
    As I said it is the province that enforces the market value assessment so unless all real estate values in Calgary remained exactly the same relative to each other and Calgary decided they didn't need to adjust for inflation (because they are already filling their coffers at the present mill rate) then I suppose this might be true but the truth is that some properties will go up in value and some down so there is no possibility that everyone in Calgary will pay exactly the same as last year.

  70. #870
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Tower B has always been contemplated as rental, as far as I know. Especially given that they opted to sell Stantec as condos instead of it also being rentals.
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Tower B was always intended to be rental as far as I know.
    Not to quibble, but definitely was intended as condos, at least in the spring 2016 to summer 2017 period where I was in the market. ONE commented that Legends was the very-high-end condo choice, Tower B the mid-high-end condo choice and Stantec the rentals.

    However, for a few months in the spring of 2016 my requests for info were answered that they were "re-considering the Stantec disposition" and, as we all know now, decided to change Stantec over to condos.

    Given the market, I have noted my own opinion on here before that I suspect they will "slow-play" the building of Tower B OR only build the podium (w allowance, obviously, for future tower add) if things continued downward OR ???

    I don't think either the condo or downtown rental markets is screaming for more high-end units in the current economic times...
    Graham Construction announced on Twitter October 4th, 2017 that they won the bid for Tower B and the following from their website:

    Construction on this project is expected to commence in December 2017, with an anticipated completion date of April 2020.

    That was three months ago. Could condo market conditions sour that much in such a short time for them to "slow play" or build a podium only for the time being?
    I understand your opinion and suspicion though. I expected more movement on this project last month.Encore had no issues going ahead with theirs. I guess it's having patience. Could be just a lot going on behind the scenes and that I just don't understand the full process.

  71. #871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    One older, one turn-of-the-century & the other pushing a decade old.
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought 1900 for a second there.

  72. #872
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Downtown YEG
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post

    Graham Construction announced on Twitter October 4th, 2017 that they won the bid for Tower B and the following from their website:

    Construction on this project is expected to commence in December 2017, with an anticipated completion date of April 2020.

    That was three months ago. Could condo market conditions sour that much in such a short time for them to "slow play" or build a podium only for the time being?
    I understand your opinion and suspicion though. I expected more movement on this project last month.Encore had no issues going ahead with theirs. I guess it's having patience. Could be just a lot going on behind the scenes and that I just don't understand the full process.
    I would agree that at this point it's unlikely to not be followed thru on... My main point was really just that it was originally condos. I understand that Stantec is selling quite slowly - not unexpected IMO - and I have to believe there is also a very soft market for high-end rental units so I still expect the construction to go ahead at quite a leisurely pace unless the economy really jumps ahead.

  73. #873
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,164

    Default

    Stantec should not be used as a gauge. They are just asking way too much for too little. Basically a ripoff. This is not TO or Van so why would you jump into Stantec and blow that much money on something so basic. It's an insult to us thinking we're that stupid. Sort of. It will sell, but they should expect it to be slow. They'll have to wait a little longer for the suckers to show up on that one.

  74. #874

    Default

    You're paying a premium for the view.

  75. #875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    One older, one turn-of-the-century & the other pushing a decade old.
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought 1900 for a second there.
    I actually considered rephrasing it to remove the ambiguity, but I figured that it was still apropos, what with it being almost 20 years since the turn. I actually put down "turn of the millennium" initially, but there's no more hokey or dated word than "millennium", so I went with century.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  76. #876
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Downtown YEG
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Stantec should not be used as a gauge. They are just asking way too much for too little. Basically a ripoff. This is not TO or Van so why would you jump into Stantec and blow that much money on something so basic. It's an insult to us thinking we're that stupid. Sort of. It will sell, but they should expect it to be slow. They'll have to wait a little longer for the suckers to show up on that one.
    Absolutely... so do we really expect the rental rates of Tower B to be classified as "affordable housing" ?

    So, it also would rent out quite slowly IMO - hence my doubt they will be hurrying...
    Last edited by Big Bird; 05-01-2018 at 12:14 PM.

  77. #877
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Sorry if I've missed it entirely, but no cranes going up anytime soon?

  78. #878
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,164

    Default

    I think they will be soon. Very soon.

  79. #879
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VGereluk View Post
    Sorry if I've missed it entirely, but no cranes going up anytime soon?
    Not until the debates over rental vs condo and the viability of both are settled in this thread!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  80. #880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VGereluk View Post
    Sorry if I've missed it entirely, but no cranes going up anytime soon?
    Not until the debates over rental vs condo and the viability of both are settled in this thread!
    wait wait wait , you forgot mixed use resi-studio-commercial unit. 3 taxes ALL IN ONE!
    coe cant contain their excitement!

    but seriously.

    Do luxury rentals exist? Can you go the opposite of low income housing and suggest... high income housing ? restrict people by minimum income?

  81. #881
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    2,469

    Default

    25,000 jobs created in Alberta in one month... Dec 2017. There is no doubt this tower will go ahead and quickly. With this kind of job growth we are officially in economic expansion mode. Anyone not going ahead now with a tower will look foolish in two years' time when construction costs have jumped by 18%.

  82. #882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    but seriously.
    Do luxury rentals exist? Can you go the opposite of low income housing and suggest... high income housing ? restrict people by minimum income?
    The Alberta Human Rights Act forbids discrimination on the basis of source of (legal) income and landlords should not ask for that information. They can ask for and use amount of income, but only as part of a larger picture of financial stability. Denying a tenant solely on the basis of them not meeting a minimum amount of income or income-to-rent ratio has been ruled by the courts as violating the AHRA.

  83. #883
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,496

    Default

    Do they have a building permit for the tower yet?
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  84. #884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    25,000 jobs created in Alberta in one month... Dec 2017. There is no doubt this tower will go ahead and quickly. With this kind of job growth we are officially in economic expansion mode. Anyone not going ahead now with a tower will look foolish in two years' time when construction costs have jumped by 18%.
    I wouldn't be that over pessimistic. The industrial side of the trade as a whole may have a wage decrease ( 5.00/hr.) as demanded by the oil industry. While jobs may be gained in exponential plateau for the month, costs of living continue to increase. With wage reduction for the trades, any byproducts associated with it will certainly follow the trend. Non union side has already commenced with that reduction. This will put a strain on many. I would imagine commercial side would be the same.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  85. #885

    Default

    ce District Tower B


    Edmonton in the beginning of 2018. by Thomas Huizinga, on Flickr
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

  86. #886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    but seriously.
    Do luxury rentals exist? Can you go the opposite of low income housing and suggest... high income housing ? restrict people by minimum income?
    The Alberta Human Rights Act forbids discrimination on the basis of source of (legal) income and landlords should not ask for that information. They can ask for and use amount of income, but only as part of a larger picture of financial stability. Denying a tenant solely on the basis of them not meeting a minimum amount of income or income-to-rent ratio has been ruled by the courts as violating the AHRA.
    Then how does low income housing work? I swear i remember seeing that if your income was over a certain amount you could not rent/ or buy? from that location (Whatever that resi project was on 109 and jasper) .

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    25,000 jobs created in Alberta in one month... Dec 2017. There is no doubt this tower will go ahead and quickly. With this kind of job growth we are officially in economic expansion mode. Anyone not going ahead now with a tower will look foolish in two years' time when construction costs have jumped by 18%.
    I wouldn't be that over pessimistic. The industrial side of the trade as a whole may have a wage decrease ( 5.00/hr.) as demanded by the oil industry. While jobs may be gained in exponential plateau for the month, costs of living continue to increase. With wage reduction for the trades, any byproducts associated with it will certainly follow the trend. Non union side has already commenced with that reduction. This will put a strain on many. I would imagine commercial side would be the same.

    Commerical Electrician here. Work is hurting - bad. Your major projects are whats keeping edmontons construction economy afloat. If Ice district was not in its current phase, there would be big trouble. Look what happened just after the arena completed (unless this is not well known), a few big projects all finished around the same time (COE tower, Arena, Nait CAT) and not to mention the slow down of the patch. All flooded the workforce with workers. Our wage dropped 15% Overnight in turn (Oct 2016). Ive herd a whole bunch of time lines around , but the consensus is that 2018 will still be a slow year, oil continues to be sluggish and there are no super projects on the horizon!
    Last edited by S3RI3S; 06-01-2018 at 11:04 PM. Reason: addtional reply!

  87. #887

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...s-ice-district
    The vast majority of the 483 Sky Residences units have one bedroom or one bedroom plus a small den.
    The smallest units, at about 500 square feet, start around $300,000, while two-bedroom suites with 920 square feet start just under $700,000 and rise to more than $1 million for 1,221 square feet.
    Underground parking stalls cost extra.

    So a 920 sq footer, plus a stall, on a floor ~10 floors up would be $800k & change after taxes. My back of the envelope calculations weren't tremendously far off.

    I can confirm that I almost bought a place in the Stantec tower, would have been a corner unit on the south east side 32nd floor 920 ft2. With a parking stall they were asking almost 800K before tax.

  88. #888
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    7,671

    Default

    ^ $800k? Wow.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  89. #889

    Default

    Wow is right. Core vs burbs is always a tough choice. “Location, location, location” or space, space, space. One’s priorities and preferences really matter.

    In comparison, I have roughly 4X that sq footage incl. an est. for parking stall space, for half the dollar value (assessment value, though my house is used and not new). However I lack any great common area amenities and some of the nearby amenities. I do have about an additional 9,000 sqft of park like surroundings beyond the structure footprint.

    When looking I abandoned a downtown apartment choice deciding instead to purchase a house, and then ended up lookeding further and further out into the burbs to get more house for the money. It was a budget limited trade off for me.
    Last edited by KC; 12-01-2018 at 08:15 AM.

  90. #890
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,164

    Default

    Now that's bang for your buck.

  91. #891

    Default

    I've always been annoyed that Tower B development has blocked 2/3 of the eastbound lanes on 104 Ave so they can park the odd truck on the road (and often nothing at all). Ice district development is such a massive area (several city blocks) and they should be able to accommodate their trucks in a different manner. They should not monopolize 2/3 of the eastbound lanes on a major thoroughfare downtown. This has recently been exacerbated by the closure of 102 Ave cutting off another east/west route. Now even non-peak traffic experiences gridlock.

    If anyone shares these concerns, please contact 311.

  92. #892
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,491
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I split off the commuter conversation to THIS THREAD.

    Please continue that conversation there.

    Let's return to the Ice District tower conversation in this thread.

    Thank you.
    Ow

  93. #893

    Default

    stefanYEG on SSP is stating that he believes construction on this tower is to start sometime this week. Can anyone confirm?

  94. #894

    Default

    2 lanes are blocked off going east bound on 104ave this morning. Crane maybe?

  95. #895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    2 lanes are blocked off going east bound on 104ave this morning. Crane maybe?
    Looks like it

    http://www.rogersplace.com/time-lapse/

  96. #896
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Just looks like a vac truck to me.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •