Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1543

Thread: Ice District Tower B | ~150m | Under Construction

C2E SME

I wonder if they’re waiting for a permit.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Haven't heard anything new recently, but this is what I heard prior to Christmas:

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Heard from someone that after evaluating tenders received last week that they may be going back to the drawing board. And apparently they've already more or less done that several times. They're having a hard time making the numbers work.

C2E Posting Power

Ulp!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Haven't heard anything new recently, but this is what I heard prior to Christmas:

Heard from someone that after evaluating tenders received last week that they may be going back to the drawing board. And apparently they've already more or less done that several times. They're having a hard time making the numbers work.
    I remember you posting that. Just doesn't make sense that they were awarded this project in October , you posted this in December that you heard the numbers don't work. If the numbers aren't working, were going to end up with a short box of a tower like Oxford then. This is kind of bizarre.
    Last edited by cpnfantstk; 06-02-2018 at 09:00 PM.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

C2E SME

It was not awarded on a fixed cost basis to Graham. Graham was awarded it on a construction management basis. They did have a tender for major scopes in November/December, but as most of the drawings and scopes were incomplete but in progress with selected consultants and overall systems determined, they called it "design assist".

My info could well be out of date at this point, however.

It was not awarded on a fixed cost basis to Graham. Graham was awarded it on a construction management basis. They did have a tender for major scopes in November/December, but as most of the drawings and scopes were incomplete but in progress with selected consultants and overall systems determined, they called it "design assist".

My info could well be out of date at this point, however.
    Thank you for sharing what you know on this Marcel.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

I understand the cost issue, but can you expound a bit further regarding the "working numbers?" Is there a specific matter in the proposed development that leads to this issue?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E SME

I have no idea what metrics OEG uses to determine whether to proceed or not, but ultimately it's about profitability. As it would be with any developer.

All good. Profit is pretty logic.

Seems a little odd that the numbers aren't working on this, given how well Legends and apparently now SKY are performing. Especially since they are still proposing to soon start a huge wack of new highrise developments just north of Rogers in Phase II.

IMHO not having a proper (or worse, any) tower on the west side of Ice District is gonna seriously reduce the appeal and atmosphere of the plaza, and indeed of the entire development. Lots of other developers seem to be making the numbers for large residential towers in the downtown area work (Encore, Emerald, the Maclaren etc.)

C2E SME

To be clear, I have no actual "inside" info, merely just what I've heard through the grapevine. There could well be other things holding it up, or a combination of factors. Or maybe one component, commercial podium or residential tower, is making sense while the other isn't.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Maybe it's just the bit of a stall and the switching from PCL to Graham that is starting rumors when in actuality everything's still a go

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Jungle View Post
    Seems a little odd that the numbers aren't working on this, given how well Legends and apparently now SKY are performing. Especially since they are still proposing to soon start a huge wack of new highrise developments just north of Rogers in Phase II.

IMHO not having a proper (or worse, any) tower on the west side of Ice District is gonna seriously reduce the appeal and atmosphere of the plaza, and indeed of the entire development. Lots of other developers seem to be making the numbers for large residential towers in the downtown area work (Encore, Emerald, the Maclaren etc.)
    I have a feeling Phase II may take a little longer to come to fruition then they have proposed. Maybe I'm wrong but with the way Tower B has gone in terms of progress, we won't see anything in Phase II until this done.

That all depends. If it goes high end, like the first 2 towers, then I agree. There is only so much high end we can support. What Katz has north of Rogers is an incredible huge canvas to experiment and be successful. No developer(s) has ever targeted family living right dowtown in highrises. I'm almost certain there is a strong market for it. What I propose is that he takes the whole block and turn that into a fortress; think of a square/rectangle donut. The ring is the podium with situated towers on top. The centre of the donut becomes the children's secured back yard for all ages- an all purpose sports court, a small water play area for small kids with flower/garden path snaking around theses amenities The flower garden path will have a grass pet run parallel to it. All accessible to residents and guests only.The podium can cater to small businesses or anchor a large store- urban hardware or Superstore etc. The roofs of the podium can be turn into a community vegetable garden. We have got to start exploring this avenue. For a permanent long term success downtown, families need to be included in the equation. We need to start traditions and roots. If they're healthy, they'll multiply to the stocks for downtown down the road. We need to plant the seeds now.

This tower never even released a final rendering. It's changed about three times and what we think is the latest design was merely obtained from an ice district promo video.

Even if the tower doesn't go ahead in the short (or even long) term, the podium must go in..

C2E Continued Contributor

Secondary source, but the word from Graham was that renders would come down Q2 2018, so sounds like there is a bit of a rework going.

It did go to EDC back in Nov 2016 as a finalish design, but folks up top must have wanted a rework.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    When i see a crane, thats when ill be happy to say this project is alive. This is a sad sight.

So now, what happened to the site ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Please refrain from personal attacks. I moved 5 posts to the trash/archive.
    Ow

C2E Long Term Contributor

Revised DP for a mixed use 141.3m tower with 568 dwelling units and 43 storeys came across my desk today.

AKA Tower B.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Great news Ian and thanks. Must be a new render somewhere. Another height reduction from 145 m.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Revised DP for a mixed use 141.3m tower with 568 dwelling units and 43 storeys came across my desk today.

AKA Tower B.
    Haha. It keeps shrinking. At this rate, next revision it will be 130m!

At least there is still some forward progress. 160m would have been nice to help break up the tabletop skyline a little more though.

That's what JW and Stantec are for (Alldritt too perhaps). I would have liked to see it stay at 160m too but I'm honestly happy with anything 130-140m. I mean, Encore is going to be 138m and that's totally acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Jungle View Post

AKA Tower B.
    Haha. It keeps shrinking. At this rate, next revision it will be 130m!

At least there is still some forward progress. 160m would have been nice to help break up the tabletop skyline a little more though.
    Yeah, it's the fourth height reduction. 188m,160m, 145m and now 141.3m. That's ok. Just glad it's going ahead. Looking forward to the new render. Hopefully no more of the a/c unit or cereal box look..lol
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

AKA Tower B.
    568 units - is that the same number in the previous DP? Must be small apartment rentals. Too bad it is shrinking in height but glad to see it still has legs.

Whatever. That's still a good height and fills in a huge hole in our city. I just hope they don't cut the rooftop park out of the design or make my movie screens smaller.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Whatever. That's still a good height and fills in a huge hole in our city. I just hope they don't cut the rooftop park out of the design or make my movie screens smaller.
    Yikes ... any reduction in screens or type of sound and video systems would be a catastrophe. That would be my only reason to go there - an upgrade in experience from City Centre. We should know soon enough what the changes are.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Yikes ... any reduction in screens or type of sound and video systems would be a catastrophe. That would be my only reason to go there - an upgrade in experience from City Centre. We should know soon enough what the changes are.
    Its great to create some energy within the plaza, but its nothing without "density" or a crowd. You need a natural energy, like younge & dundas or a really far fetch times square.

Anything at 130m and up is good. Im only a height freŕk when it comes to strategic locations such as BMO. It will still contribute to the skyline as it is roughly Manulife's height.

I really, really hope they maintain the rooftop garden and, really, most of the podium design.

I hope that, but I have basically zero faith whatsoever that they won’t strip it of anything interesting because it’s “good enough” for Edmonton

I hope for the same height but scaled down a bit, is just fine for downtown.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Seandroid View Post
    I really, really hope they maintain the rooftop garden and, really, most of the podium design.

I hope that, but I have basically zero faith whatsoever that they won’t strip it of anything interesting because it’s “good enough” for Edmonton
    Agreed. The public plaza and the podium of Tower B are the elements of ID that I am looking forward to the most. If these parts get slashed or downgraded I'll be pretty miffed.

I wonder if we will need to wait for Tower B completion before they do the public plaza. If so, could be many years out still.

There's no reason it should take that long. They own a lot across the lane from Tower B to use for their site offices and laydown, that should be enough once they get to the tower portion.
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

I believe the intent is to have the plaza at least partially open in the middle part of 2019, as that's when the office portion of Stantec and the JW are supposed to be opening. But the CRU spaces being completed and open might come a little later. Tower B shouldn't really impact that, although obviously not having it's podium completed and ready for tenant improvements until 2020 or later will leave the plaza with one side hoarded off.

They can also use 103 street as it's no longer a public road but is private property. They could open the plaza in front of the hotel & Stantec and finidh off the rest when they don't need access from the front of tower B.

That is such a great attitude as a citizens of this city. Why expect developers to reduce when our attitude has already welcome such expectation. Way to go for shooting the low! Let's re-strip the current construction and arena and achieve the lowest standard we can attain. You must be visually impaired and have not seen the progress made so far. The standard is so low that we have world visitors touring the arena.

141 M above the podium
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Quote Originally Posted by buildthemhigh View Post
    141 M above the podium
    Are you certain of that ? I just read the Job reference on tower B. States 141.3m.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

That is such a great attitude as a citizens of this city. Why expect developers to reduce when our attitude has already welcome such expectation. Way to go for shooting the low! Let's re-strip the current construction and arena and achieve the lowest standard we can attain. You must be visually impaired and have not seen the progress made so far. The standard is so low that we have world visitors touring the arena.
    We also have world visitors touring the composing plant.

141m is a somewhat of a let-down when considering the other 2 towers, but sometimes I have to remind myself that that's still just about the height of Manulife. It will definitely stand out from the rest of downtown when viewed from the north/south.

Here's hoping the final design is something spectacular.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

If is disappointing but I can’t say I’m really surprised. Let’s hope this economy picks up some more steam soon.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Let’s hope this economy picks up some more steam soon.
    Condo sales had a great year. How many feet would you add to the building to consider 560+ units a success?

Quote Originally Posted by issue43 View Post
    141m is a somewhat of a let-down when considering the other 2 towers, but sometimes I have to remind myself that that's still just about the height of Manulife. It will definitely stand out from the rest of downtown when viewed from the north/south.

Wrong!
    http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=5
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by issue43 View Post

Wrong!
    http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=5
    I don't understand the point you're trying to make here? He said it is just about the height of Manulife. He isn't wrong at all as Manulife is 145m and this will be 141m.

I wonder why the Pearl is not on there. I did a search for it but it wouldn't come up

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I wonder why the Pearl is not on there. I did a search for it but it wouldn't come up
    There are a number missing, e.g. ICON II, Ultima, Fox 2. I presume it's because you need a contributor to build the model and no one has done that yet.

They do show up on this list (same site): http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?cityID=5

if you scroll down, under drawing selection choose all buildings and hit search. the pearl, icon, ultima etc will show up, without a drawing

Ok thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    if you scroll down, under drawing selection choose all buildings and hit search. the pearl, icon, ultima etc will show up, without a drawing
    It's that easy! haha. Thanks DTrobotnik!

Soooo 141.0 top to bottom or 141.0 above the podium. Which could make it about 150.0 meters ish.

I saw about 5 concrete trucks in front of Tower B today walking to NAIT but didn't take a good look. Anybody know what was going on?

Concrete truck racing at lunch time downtown?

^ Crashing on Ice. Coming to Downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
    Soooo 141.0 top to bottom or 141.0 above the podium. Which could make it about 150.0 meters ish.
    From grade to the top.

So a tad under the proposed Encore height. That really does decrease the powerful visual impact that might have been when looking up from the plaza or from the higher suites in JW or Stantec towers. Higher floors in the JW and JW will now get a less obstructed view looking West.

It is what it is. Let’s hope we see Healy proceed to provide some higher height to the West.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    So a tad under the proposed Encore height. That really does decrease the powerful visual impact that might have been when looking up from the plaza or from the higher suites in JW or Stantec towers. Higher floors in the JW and JW will now get a less obstructed view looking West.

It is what it is. Let’s hope we see Healy proceed to provide some higher height to the West.
    I thought Encore will be 138m which would make Tower B 3m higher.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

According to Wikipedia Encore Tower will be 138m or 453ft

According to Wikipedia Encore Tower will be 138m or 453ft
    With no header info I took a guess from the scales here: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=5

I would really like to know who they signed as the grocery retailer in the podium.

568 residential units in this development... Crazy.

Not sure if this is old news.. but looks like its going to be rental units.

Think they're still on target for a spring 2020 completion of Tower B? Gotta think this 4 month+ delay in construction has pushed that timeline slightly.

The difficult part of construction is the underground parkade normally. If they start in a month, I think it is doable; delaying further than that, the chances will start to erode.

Quote Originally Posted by glendroid View Post
    568 residential units in this development... Crazy.
    How so? That is a lot, but quite normal in larger cities.
    www.decl.org

We're not a large city. For Canada yes but not large. Portland, not that famous in the US, has the same population as Van and metro, so it is Hugh for our standard.

so it is Hugh for our standard.
    Indeed. Consider Encore, which is also 43 stories high, has only 179 residential units.

I'm not a big fan of how developers are slowly succumbing to the "sardine can" apartments.

Our early apartments were massive. You often see examples of one bedroom 800sf.

Then we transition into the 90s-2000s where a two bedroom is on average 900sf-1000sf (imo the sweet spot)

And now the current trend is to go smaller to a point where we have studio units at 400sf and 2 bedrooms at 650sf-800sf.

We're slowly building Vancouver-sized units without the Vancouver-style land constraints and without the Vancouver-style amenities.

For example, exterior looks aside, when I go into a Fox condo ~950sf unit and go into a similarly priced ~800sf unit in the Ultima, the amount of usable space in the Ultima is a stark contrast. The window walls help during the daytime to create an illusion that the space is larger than it is, but when it comes down to it, the space is tight especially when a handful of people are trying to navigate around the unit.

I wish as consumers, we had more of a say in what is going up. From the looks of it, the micro units have begun a trend and is here to stay unfortunately. Ultimately, its the developer trying to maximize profits. When you want families to take root downtown, a $450,000-$500,000 1000sf two bedroom + den might be feasible. But not a $450,000-$500,000 two bedroom (and somehow 2 washroom) 750sf.

Anyhow that's just my rant

C2E SME

The consumers do have a say. And what they're saying is that the larger units in projects are typically the hardest to sell, at the lowest price per foot. So developers build less of them.

Yeah, Top_Dawg hears what you're saying B.ike.

There is no way Top_Dawg could co-habitate with anyone in today's units.

Even in a two bedroom.

You need a confined space entry permit to get into one.

Not long ago some warthog dragged Top_Dawg to a suite in Hudson House on 114 Street just north of Jasper.

He couldn't believe how small it was.

Felt claustrophobic.

And that was built twenty something years ago.

Top_Dawg can just imagine the new places going up now.

Somebody takes a dump and it will asphyxiate any other poor soul who happens to be in the suite.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 06-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Consider yourself privileged then as 300sqft. would house a family of 8 in some countries where they had to add on a makeshift 2nd floor to house everyone.

Hence why ol' Trump refers to them as 5hithole countries.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 06-03-2018 at 11:15 AM.

If Canada had the American imposed embargo on us and force the world to follow its footsteps, we would be a shuthole as well. You seriously want to use 'Dump' as an example lol?

And so it begins...

Quote Originally Posted by chinpokomon View Post
    so it is Hugh for our standard.
    Indeed. Consider Encore, which is also 43 stories high, has only 179 residential units.
    Encore likely has the smallest floor plate of any modern tower in the city.
    www.decl.org

I noticed that. I'm tempted to buy into this building, but I'll wait for BMO's proposal before finalizing the options.

The consumers do have a say. And what they're saying is that the larger units in projects are typically the hardest to sell, at the lowest price per foot. So developers build less of them.
    Well yea, that's the problem. They build it (smaller units), and it appears we are buying them. So to the developer it appears the consumer are saying: "We are OK with the smaller units" - when in reality there's no other option unless you look at the existing builds.

The standard two bedroom averaging 800sf to 900sf built over the past decade have sold very well in my opinion. Look at the icons, fox, illuminada, uptown, etc

But now if you look at what Jasper House, Encore, ID is (was) offering, the same 800sf-900sf units have become half a million+ and instead of 6 units a floor, you have 10 or more because they've crammed more 1 bedroom and studio units per floor (because that's what they think we need and is what the young adult can afford).

Other major North American cities can sustain high prices because land is scarce and living centrally has a long list of perks. Edmonton not so much. And that's why to me, Sky Residences doesn't make much sense.

FYI, there's no sub-1100 sqft units in Uptown Estates.

Source: I live in one of the units with the smallest floorplans at just north of 1100 sq ft.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Just out of idle curiosity, how many units are there per floor noodle ?

4 per floor except the top floor which is split into 2 PH units. Everyone gets a corner suite with 2+den.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Off topic I know, but I went by the BMO site the other day. What a shocker to see it look like a war zone. Why was the BMO torn down anyway?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    FYI, there's no sub-1100 sqft units in Uptown Estates.

Source: I live in one of the units with the smallest floorplans at just north of 1100 sq ft.
    Thanks for the clarification. When I look at that end of Jasper, Uptown comes out as a great deal with a good price point and finishes that has mostly held up through the years. Spacious units (you're telling me the smallest is 1100sf now) and most units seem to have two titled spots from what I've seen on MLS.

I wouldn't mind central condo living with those arrangements.

C2E SME

Definitely a good building. Surprised that there's a few suites listed at $400-450 a foot, that seems cheap. I would have assumed in the high 400's or low 500's on a per square foot basis. The one I came across is 1,050 ft: http://www.edmontonhomesweb.com/uptown-estates.php

Yeah, that's my floorplan. All of the xx4 units are the same.

As to the sq ft discrepancy I dunno. I got my figure of 1103 off the plans in the spec book & I know there were some changes but nothing that affected the overall size of the unit. 58 square feet isn't a huge discrepancy either.

FWIW, I bought my unit from the developer around $370/ft.

E: Digging through the pictures, if that's the stall that the unit comes with I'm excited to know that the current resident may be leaving soon.
    Last edited by noodle; 06-03-2018 at 02:05 PM.

As to the sq ft discrepancy I dunno. I got my figure of 1103 off the plans in the spec book & I know there were some changes but nothing that affected the overall size of the unit. 58 square feet isn't a huge discrepancy either.

E: Digging through the pictures, if that's the stall that the unit comes with I'm excited to know that the current resident may be leaving soon.
    The new residential measurement standards (RMS) for Realtors require interior paint to paint measurements for condos. Usually knocks a little off the builder plan/registered size.

That’s a gorgeous place and a nice layout in a decent location. That’s the kind of place I’d get into if I made a bit more money when I bought my place.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Off topic I know, but I went by the BMO site the other day. What a shocker to see it look like a war zone. Why was the BMO torn down anyway?
    BMO moved out and into the new Enbridge Place Tower next door and the bldg was sold to high rise developer Regency Developments.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 07-03-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Whom will procede with a new structure.

A saw multiple Graham folks on site in the last few days/week.
    www.decl.org

Any potential render soon for this?

Any potential render soon for this?
    I have a feeling they're focused on the Emerald site right now. Maybe once that is started we may see something? I could be wrong though.

^
    ^^
    ^^^
    ^^^^
    ^^^^^

Why is any of this being discussed on the Tower B thread ?

Oh oh, thread police

Oh oh, thread police
    And your really good reason why it is unreasonable to suggest BMO discussion happen on the BMO thread would be ?

My fault. I thought ctzn-ed was talking about the BMO site.

Sorry for the minor derail.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    My fault. I thought ctzn-ed was talking about the BMO site.

Sorry for the minor derail.
    No worries, he was talking about BMO but that's my point... anybody interested in BMO but not reading this (Tower B) thread would miss the whole discussion which ended up at least 6 posts long, lol

Of course, it all starts innocently but...

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Off topic I know, but I went by the BMO site the other day. Why was the BMO torn down anyway?
    One could wonder... if you know it's off topic, WHY are you doing it ? I mean, if there is no thread for your "off topic" topic, well, a couple of random comments are OK but in this case there IS an entire thread for that discussion.

No panic... Just trying to make a civilized comment/suggestion to help make it as good a forum as possible.

Envaneo asked a question and I answered it, Ed added one line. That was all. You must not have realized that it stopped there. I'm not sure why he asked the question here.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-03-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Oh ya now I see EdmontonKindaGuy went back to a Regency post. 4 total. Evo started it. lol

Oh ya now I see EdmontonKindaGuy went back to a Regency post. 4 total. Evo started it. lol
    I totally derailed the train! Don't let me be the conductor!

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast