Thread: new City Manager

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default new City Manager

BreannaKarstensSmith ‏@BreannaCTV
    Linda Cochrane officially chosen as City Manager after international search
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Incest is best,
    Keep it in the family.

Interesting that going out with that search we come back to Linda, but that's perfectly fine as Linda is an exceptional choice. Having had the pleasure of working with her on a few initiatives, she is compassionate, dedicated, no BS and gets things done.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Incest is best,
    Keep it in the family.

it never ceases to amaze me how many ways you can find to be obnoxious with your posts.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Hey,

Top_Dawg only calls 'em like the average joe sees 'em.

Regardless of whether it's unpleasant to the self anointed elites or not.

Linda Cochrane named new Edmonton city manager

ELISE STOLTE
    More from Elise Stolte

Cheers and tears broke out at council Wednesday morning as Mayor Don Iveson announced that acting city manager Linda Cochrane has been chosen to lead administration at city hall.

“I’m just over the moon. It’s a realization of a lifetime dream. I couldn’t be happier,” said Cochrane, emotional after Iveson made the announcement.

“I’m very humbled and grateful for this opportunity,” she said, thanking council, the rest of the corporate leadership team, her family, and her daughter, who was watching the announcement live through an app on a councillor’s phone.

Cochrane replaces former city manager Simon Farbrother, who was let go in September after troubles with the Metro LRT line and council frustration over a lack of communication.

Council launched an international search to replace him. “With applications from candidates far and wide,” said Iveson, complimenting Cochrane for rising to the top.

Cochrane, 64, started her career as a swim instructor at Scona Pool and has spent most of her career in Edmonton. After a stint in Spruce Grove, she returned to the City of Edmonton in 1982 and started as general manager for the community services department in 2006.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...n-city-manager
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

don't kid yourself...

the average joe is smarter than that and nowhere near as obnoxious in his communications with others.

Good on Linda for taking the job on at an age where most people are thinking of retirement she has taken on a bigger workload. Hopefully she stays on long enough to turn the ship around.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

Hey,

Regardless of whether it's unpleasant to the self anointed elites or not.

Hint -- when you only hang around with people who agree with you, that's the dellusion you risk suffering.

Another hint -- your "average Joe" candidate lost the last civic election with 16% of the vote.

One more -- your "average joe" teams also lost both higher levels of government.

Funny what some people call "average" is all.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Good on Linda for taking the job on at an age where most people are thinking of retirement she has taken on a bigger workload. Hopefully she stays on long enough to turn the ship around.
    and what exactly do you mean by "at an age" and how are those of us past "an age" supposed to take that?

it's interesting about how, in the same forum that much offense is taken about age discrimination when it comes to places of residence, how age is an issue worth commenting on in the workplace.

i know there was probably nothing substantive behind your comment and was only pointing out how easy it is for these things to sneak into our conversations as if they matter...

If mayor and council genuinely wanted to give somebody a mandate to turn the ship around they would have hired externally.

This just reeks of them not wanting all of the past pi$$ poor decisions to be scrutinized and brought to light.

But Top_Dawg figgered this is how it would turn out.

Remember two-and-a-half weeks ago when reports surfaced of gender inequality in CofE's senior management ?

The timing immediately struck Top_Dawg as curious, to say the least.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 16-03-2016 at 03:40 PM.

^^No there was no ulterior motive in the comment. I don't think I'm lying when I say some people 'of that age' are starting to think of retirement, nor am I oblivious to the fact that some people 'of that age' want to continuing working. It's not an age discriminating comment, just an observation.
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

If mayor and council genuinely wanted to give somebody a mandate to turn the ship around they would have hired externally.

This just reeks of them not wanting all of the past pi$$ poor decisions to be scrutinized and brought to light.

But Top_Dawg figgered this is how it would turn out.

Remember two-and-a-half weeks ago when reports surfaced of gender inequality in CofE's senior management ?

The timing immediately struck Top_Dawg as curious, to say the least.
    Gotta give you credit Dawg for bringing to light other observations. Re: gender inequality in C of E's senior management. Not that I really care about gender inequality in any organization. There are enough doofuses in both sexes to go around.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Well, speaking as someone only two years younger than Cochrane, I don't mind the reference to "age at which most people retire". It pales in significance to the fact that I'm in a workplace where age is often mentioned as a reason to get out of the workplace because we go feeble-minded on our 65th birthday apparently. That I do mind because I intend to continue working as long as the brain holds out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Gotta give you credit Dawg for bringing to light other observations. Re: gender inequality in C of E's senior management. Not that I really care about gender inequality in any organization. There are enough doofuses in both sexes to go around.
    Nor do most.

And it has existed at the CofE forever.

That's what made the timing of the reports so suspect.

It became apparent to Top_Dawg that this mayor and council are very fearful of any outsider being privy to the extent of dirty laundry that has accumulated at city hall.

Actually dawg, Farbrother was the outsider you wanted.

From what I've seen of Linda, I think she's perfect for the job at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    From what I've seen of Linda, I think she's perfect for the job at this time.
    She may be.

Or she may not be.

Time will tell.

The only thing Top_Dawg is drawing attention to is the process.

Why go through the charade of putting on a ' international ' search when it became increasingly apparent that an external candidate was not wanted.

Why compound that charade with another charade by suggesting there's a gender issue that needs to be addressed merely two weeks before the hiring.

Go back and read the quotes from mayor and council from when Farbrother was made the scapegoat.

All the noble statements about change, and new direction, and all that nonsense.

Only to turn around and select a candidate that participated at the highest level of the same administration mayor and council stated of needing change.

Let's face it.

It was disingenuous from the start.

^ Scapegoat?

"Let's give the diesel mechanics the oversight of the hundred fifty million dollar Capital/Metro signalling system."

Poor average joe type guy, scapegoated for something so average joey.

I'd rather C2E than work!

she have experience as general manager, so I guess she is perfect for this job
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Interesting that going out with that search we come back to Linda, but that's perfectly fine as Linda is an exceptional choice. Having had the pleasure of working with her on a few initiatives, she is compassionate, dedicated, no BS and gets things done.

Well said

....... they would have hired externally.

Like Bruce Thom?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

I realize this is an old thread, but 2 things should be said. First, Linda is actually extremely competent in this role, and if anyone is sick of the issues plaguing city administration, it's her. Second, her tenure at the city and looming transition to retirement places the skill set perfectly to be resistant to the trappings of making decisions that could " adversely impact " her career/ promotion. Translation, unshackled.

This isn't a long term role, rather setting up for the next leader.

Having dealt with Linda for years, and seeing how she comes through, I'm good with this choice.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

So far she seems to have more common sense than is really common. If she gets city contract tendering and transportation planning fixed up before she leaves, that could prove to be the biggest legacy this city has ever seen.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal