Thread: Blower Door Testing

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Blower Door Testing

I had a blower door test done on our old house some years back when the ecoenergy rebate was around, but once the govt ended that plan, it seems most of those testing companies closed up shop. I've contacted a few companies in town that still do blower door tests for residential and am waiting on replies and pricing, but I was wondering if any one has a company/person they've used before for blower door testing combined with smoke/fog testing to locate leaks?

We're about a week or two away from requiring a blower door test (insulation going in now).

Going to do a test once the insulation is done, and then again once the drywall is up and painted to see how much of an impact the air tight drywall approach yields.

Any idea on pricing now that the rebates are gone? I seem to recall in the several hundred $ range.

Thanks

I managed to book someone. Pure Energy Solutions. Apparently he's tested over 4500 homes in Edmonton area. Really happy with the knowledge and service, and it was very reasonable at $225. This was a pre-drywall blower door test, but we got a number around 1.7 ACH. Once drywall is on and finished and all small leaks are touched up, we should be able to knock it down to just under 1 ACH, which is fantastic. 1.5 ACH is R2000 requirement and 0.6 is Passivehouse requirement for air leakage.

I also had a response from C-Returns, which appears to be a city-sponsored company. They were a bit pricier.

We had our final blower door test with everything complete. Final number was 0.80 ACH, which I think is great for a standard stick built house. There's a few small things we can follow up on to get down to 0.79 or 0.78ACH. Will be interesting to see how the house performs over the winter. He was going to try some house modeling to come up with an Energuide number. I am guessing it will be somewhere between 84-86.

Definitely recommend Len at Pure Energy Solutions
    Last edited by nobleea; 17-10-2016 at 09:29 AM.