Thread: Vancouver SkyTrain

Administrator *

Default Vancouver SkyTrain

A general thread for Vancouver's SkyTrain.

To get things started, for those not familiar with the system, you can check out my new videos on YouTube

Here's a playlist that will play all videos of the Expo Line automatically:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wC3q3okm26bGOB

And here's the first video as a taste:

Any feedback is appreciated

SKYTRAIN

Fast
    Efficient
    Economical
    Elevated
    Completed on time
    Connected toTOD's

Everything Edmonton's Metro line and all future lines are not.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I saw a modern dance production at the Expanse Festival (back when it was held at the Roxy) that featured a greened monochrome of a similar video of the Skytrain journey as a backdrop. Not sure which stations it featured, but by the end I was somehow able to confirm that it was indeed Vancouver. Might well have been better than the dance.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I'd rather C2E than work!

One big problem with skytrain is that once computer is down , there is no movement till computer is up and running
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

^True, a computer they boot with a floppy disk.

I've also read that the automaton didn't really generate any savings. You have tighter more expensive engineering requirements, yes you get less drivers but countering that you need more security.

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    One big problem with skytrain is that once computer is down , there is no movement till computer is up and running
    Reality Check

Meanwhile the Metro line signaling system is still not working correctly after 2 years past the due date. At least Skytrain works and if it is down for 15 minutes, people freak.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Default Vancouver SkyTrain

I always think comparisons between Edmonton and much larger cities are really a bit silly. Vancouver is twice as big population wise as Edmonton, hemmed in by mountains, the ocean and an agricultural reserve and now seems to be a haven for Chinese investors who have driven home prices higher than the SkyTrain.

It is a beautiful city, but also young working people are now fleeing because they can never afford to buy a home there.

Yes, there is more TOD there - but all development there is denser because the cost of land and severe constraints on expansion. There is some more dense development happening in the older neighbourhoods of Edmonton, but there is also still a lot of resistance to it.

We shouldn't fall for the grass is greener there type of thinking - Vancouver has a lot of nice things, but it also has different challenges and problems than we do.

^edmontons ridership is about a quarter sky train, and the length is about a third (won't be far behind when valley line is complete, although I expect sky train will keep growing). Given population difference, seems pretty good to me.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Is sky train not a provincial endeavour?

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Isn't all of transit in BC?

^In the Vancouver Metro Area municipalities have been given the power to institute a regional gas tax. This gas tax forms a fund that helps to pay for transit related projects of a regional scale.

A regional gas tax is one of the primary things I would like to see enabled in the new Municipal Government Act this spring. It could be managed by an organization like the new growth management boards that will replace/evolve out of the CRB and CRP. The funds raised could be used for roads, transit, or other projects of a regional scale (e.g. LRT to St. Albert, regional bus, interchanges, water/wastewater system sharing, etc).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...511997?cmp=rss

It looks like a private developer is going to be building a new Skytrain stop. Very interesting proposal. Wish we would see things like this in Edmonton.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...511997?cmp=rss

It looks like a private developer is going to be building a new Skytrain stop. Very interesting proposal. Wish we would see things like this in Edmonton.
    It's hard to see the economics of that working in Edmonton anytime soon. TOD/Infill have enough challenges here just building around the supplied infrastructure. Imagine Century Park if Procura would have included the transit centre costs as well to pass along to potential customers. The site would still be a crater.

Administrator *

I've finished uploading the Millennium Line.

Here's a playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...AQQsW38pEIjguF

And the first video:

Administrator *

Not as great as my first two playlists (in terms of quality), but here's the Canada Line. I'm hoping to get back out to Vancouver to film the Evergreen Line this fall.

Here's a link to the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...oQbxSRNtnhzMgO

And the first video:

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I use the Skytrain everyday to get to work (Expo Line) and it's fantastic. Totally worth the extra money in my opinion. If the Valley Line had used Skytrain technology the time between TC and DT would be something like 17 minutes

People in the Lower Mainland of BC can be criticized for many things. Building a fast and frequent fully grade separated urban rapid transit system is not one of them.

The Evergreen extension of the Millenium Line opened on December 2 with 3-4 minute peak period frequency between Lafarge-Lake Douglas in Coquitlam and Lougheed Town Centre in Burnaby. Total travel time is 16 minutes. The 6 full service Skytrain stations along the 11 kilometre route are sensibly located at major activity nodes. Each of the station locations are expected to become magnets for high density development just as many of the stations along the existing Skytrain network already are.

More details here: http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules...nium-Line.aspx
    Last edited by East McCauley; 05-12-2016 at 11:03 AM.

I've already scouted out the Evergreen line going all the way to Port Moody. Another beautiful line with a lot of knockout views. Port Moody is a lesser known but wonderful area. Concur with others that the Skytrain is great, really the best civic public transit I've been on and the elevation being perfect for Vancouver as it lifts you into spectacular views almost wherever you are. So preferable to driving in Vancouver.

For sure economically its made a lot of sense as well. Since the Evergreen line was first announced Port Moody and environs real estate has gone up. Basically anywhere in the lower mainland that is serviced by Sky Train the value goes up and to the point that it really makes TOD investment quite lucrative. Even in places like New Westminster which knew little love before skytrain in what was an industrial and dreary residential area. Really so much of the Lower Mainland East and South of downtown have been transformed by Skytrain impetus.

Even far off places like Mission are booming with West Coast Express access.

Thing is even if it takes an hour on rapid transit to get home its equal to or preferable to an hour long drive home commute.

This is not my video of the Evergreen line but I'll link it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HVocaKUeF0

Here's a timelapse video that's more enjoyable and with background music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilegx7L2lhY
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-12-2016 at 02:21 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

And all that for cheaper than an at grade line here in La La Land...

Edmonton: The place where it takes two years to build a retaining wall

^^are you suggesting the vistas offered by our at-grade LRT system are not spectacular? I know I'm always left speechless when riding seeing the traffic piled up at University avenue.
    And as for land value, Belvedere has seen an incredible transformation and investment in its nearly 40 years of LRT service

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    ^^are you suggesting the vistas offered by our at-grade LRT system are not spectacular? I know I'm always left speechless when riding seeing the traffic piled up at University avenue.
    And as for land value, Belvedere has seen an incredible transformation and investment in its nearly 40 years of LRT service
    haha

The U of A bore, or is that boring hole is the worst. Also to access. Seems so far down from surface level. Can't wait to get out of that tunnel and see the river, the one worthwhile view of the line. Then back into a tunnel you go...

One irony though. The Skytrain to Surrey is probably the most visually stimulating line, albeit with a non stellar terminus.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    haha

The U of A bore, or is that boring hole is the worst. Also to access. Seems so far down from surface level. Can't wait to get out of that tunnel and see the river, the one worthwhile view of the line. Then back into a tunnel you go...

One irony though. The Skytrain to Surrey is probably the most visually stimulating line, albeit with a non stellar terminus.
    I suppose the Chinese millionaires who bought houses in Vancouver might enjoy the view. The working Canadians who have had to leave Vancouver because it is unaffordable and people from other parts of Canada are refusing job transfers to Vancouver for the same reason will not be riding the Sky Train regardless of how nice the view.

Nice view, but Vancouver could be a nicer place, if it wasn't so unaffordable and the people weren't so full of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    haha

I suppose the Chinese millionaires who bought houses in Vancouver might enjoy the view. The working Canadians who have had to leave Vancouver because it is unaffordable and people from other parts of Canada are refusing job transfers to Vancouver for the same reason will not be riding the Sky Train regardless of how nice the view.

Nice view, but Vancouver could be a nicer place, if it wasn't so unaffordable and the people weren't so full of themselves.
    Agree that its unfortunate real estate pricing in the area is so inflated. Nice place to visit though and actually a lot cheaper than living there. I like Edmonton for its standard of living and being a good jumping off point that helps you appreciate other locales. For instance if I lived in Hawaii I would have much higher expectations on any holiday. The trouble with living in paradise. I would rather visit nice places and have them be comparatively special.

All that said homes are unaffordable in Vancouver and much of lower mainland. But rentals are a much better deal. Its just an adjustment from living in a house to living in a condo, tower, etc. and with the West Coasts outdoor playground possibilities I would be outdoors exploring a lot anyway. Don't buy, rent, in Vancouver.