Thread: Toronto Blue Jays 2016 season

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Toronto Blue Jays 2016 season

Considering last fall's heartbreak, it was exciting and just plain awesome to see the country rally together for the first time with baseball since 1993. Looong time. Actually, same year as when Canada last brought Lord Stanley home...hmmmm... but we won't get into that.

Yesterday, April 3rd, was opening day. Stroman pitched a fine game and didn't get yarded until the 9th and the Jays won 5 - 3 against the Rays. Tulowitski got the clubs first and (only) homerun so far of the season, as Buck says "Get Out, Ball!"

The good news is team's offensive power is intact as it was last year, arguably it's even better as the team is starting fresh with some big guns, key players they didn't acquire last year until the last half of the season. They did lose Price as a pitcher however pitching overall is still decent, let's hope Dickey can get his knuckler under control as he's been quite underwhelming since joining the club.

Anyhoo, here's hoping for some success this year... nothing like putting the feet up, cracking a cold beer and watching some ball during the dog days of summer.

Go Jays!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Excited about the prospects, going August 8th, but pitching will be an issue.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Make sure you take some pics and post them Ian! Never been there, something a buddy and I should do as he's a Jays fan.

Been a wild one tonight playing Boston for the home opener, couple of Grand Slams between both teams, Pillar almost needing facial reconstructive surgery and Bautista & Edwing both snakebit so far this year. It's gonna happen.

Jays definitely had a slow start this year but have come along nicely, slight slump right now as they are back 5 games from division leaders Baltimore.

But a few days away.
    www.decl.org

The Jays are really in the thick of it now. Tough series in Houston, but at least they'll leave with at least a series split. Will be interesting to see if Sanchez actually goes into the bullpen. Their starting pitching has definitely been a pleasant surprise.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I don't know what it is with Houston but man can they struggle.

Aug 16th, tied with Baltimore for first and BoSox one game back. Once again, the tightest of divisions, the Yankee's are only 4 1/2 back as well.

It's gonna be a wild September.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Make sure you take some pics and post them Ian! Never been there, something a buddy and I should do as he's a Jays fan.
    A few from last Monday:

Little red people.

www.decl.org

Thanks Ian! Never been to Ontario myself, would love to fly there for a weekend to watch a game or two and take in Torontah.

Great shots!

Jays fighting for a wildcard position, not looking good though. Been a bad September for them.

^Have to agree, their offence is anemic and it looks like the team is running out of gas. Age and injuries. Oh well, it was fun while the excitement lasted, the heart of their batting order is going to be all gone within the next few years.

Jays hosting the Wildcard on Tuesday... here's hopin them the best!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yee-haw !

Top_Dawg will be guzzling beers and cheering on the Jays tonight.

Enjoy the suds Dawg! Jays win in 11, walk off 3 run homer. Shades of Carter and 1993, however this obviously wasn't the World Series. Regardless, awesome feeling! Close game all night, so glad it went well for the good guys.

Now on to Texas! Go Jays!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What a game! Edge of my seat for 3.5 hours then Eddy hits that homer. So awesome. I cried. They better give him a fat contract and Jose too.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow. 10 to 1 in Texas. Lovin it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Game 2 starts at 11 this morning. I'm supposed to be cleaning out the garage, but I think it will be waiting.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Jays heading home up 2 games
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Things are looking good for the Jays right now.

Holy crap, Jays starting rotation is dominating. Their bullpen can still be a bit fragile, shame that they lost Benoit because of that stupid brawl with the Yankees.

Jays up 3-1 beginning of 3rd inning in this third and hopefully final game of the ALDS.

Go Jays!

Bring on the next team

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Super

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Indians scare me. They have been on a roll. Fingers crossed on this series.

Jays lose the first game. Stranded a lot of runners just in the first 3 innings.

Hopefully they can win tomorrow. Go Jays!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

They've met their match in the Indians. Hopefully they can rally on Sat. I can imagine how much Shapiro would like to beat his old team. I hope that feeling filters down through the ranks. Lots of hits, but leaving everyone stranded is right. Better luck next time! Go Jays Go.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    They've met their match in the Indians. Hopefully they can rally on Sat. I can imagine how much Shapiro would like to beat his old team. I hope that feeling filters down through the ranks. Lots of hits, but leaving everyone stranded is right. Better luck next time! Go Jays Go.
    Uh, no. More of the same for 'Canada's Team' in Cleveland today as they fell 2-1. Unlike most around here, this makes me very happy. It turns out that Esk Fan is also a longtime Tribe Fan.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well in that case, as much as I hate to say it, I'm thinking you are about to be very happy with your ALCS championship. Better luck next year Jays. (hoping I'm dead wrong)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Toast

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Was fun watching them win today. Hoping for more.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Happy Birthday Jose Bautista. October 19, 1980

Jays knocked out. Kinda glad the pain & suffering is now over, it was quite clear Cleveland was the better team right from game 1.

Was a good run and an entertaining year. Here's hoping they can hang onto Bautista and Encarnacion as they're both free agents now.

Pretty amazing, none of the American League series were even close in terms of game splits. Cleveland has lost only one game thus far in the playoffs.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I guess Cleveland Rocks. Cavs now Indians.

Is it odd that theres more talk about the Toronto Blue Jays on the Connect2Edmonton board than any of the Edmonton clubs including the Oilers with the best player in hockey mach2?

Meanwhile Eskimos rarely get a mention here, FCEdmonton, a playoff club, hasn't been mentioned in a longtime.

Kind of sad. Given that is supposed to be an Edmonton forum about Edmonton. I mean people can talk about whatever they want but wheres the interest for local professional clubs?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Yeah yeah, we get it, you hate baseball. I remember that from the 2015 Blue Jays thread. Something about you being a young child and baseball bats being used as melee weapons and it has since tainted you for life.

There's been about a whopping half dozen of us discussing the Blue Jays out of a forum of hundreds, I mean it is the playoffs after all.

Less than two pages of Blue Jays discussion since the season began in early April means there's more talk than many other local sports? Please, hand me over some of whatever you're smoking

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Now that baseball is over, you guys can all switch over to the curling season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Yeah yeah, we get it, you hate baseball. I remember that from the 2015 Blue Jays thread. Something about you being a young child and baseball bats being used as melee weapons and it has since tainted you for life.

There's been about a whopping half dozen of us discussing the Blue Jays out of a forum of hundreds, I mean it is the playoffs after all.

Less than two pages of Blue Jays discussion since the season began in early April means there's more talk than many other local sports? Please, hand me over some of whatever you're smoking
    Its my first post in the thread, not like I'm interfering with the precious banter. Just wondering why people here don't discuss LOCAL PRO teams here. The Oilers are the only club here that even get much attention. Edmonton board, right?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'm mostly with Replacement on this one. Having just spent a week reading the local daily of a mid sized Canadian city, it was refreshing to see what a truly local sports page can look/read like. Great stories about all levels of competitive sports. Frankly, as far as a sincerely local sporting culture is concerned the Oilers are more of an impediment than benefit.

I've been reading both papers for 90% of the last 35+ years and while The Oilers get the bulk of attention - we just spent $600M+ for a new place for them - there's plenty of coverage of all kinds of sports.

There are other threads for various teams here, and they usually get comments around game day. I've even had to avoid a few for spoilers since I DVR everything I watch.

But this stuff belongs in a different thread really...
    Last edited by Spudly; 20-10-2016 at 02:58 PM. Reason: finished my thoughts after first reply
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    I'm mostly with Replacement on this one. Having just spent a week reading the local daily of a mid sized Canadian city, it was refreshing to see what a truly local sports page can look/read like. Great stories about all levels of competitive sports. Frankly, as far as a sincerely local sporting culture is concerned the Oilers are more of an impediment than benefit.
    I agree with this as well. The amalgamation of dailies and cuts in journalist staff results in limiting local coverage. So that its harder to even know what is going on in Edmonton, at all levels of sports, and were instead BOMBARDED with Blue Jays coverage.

I admit, it detest baseball. But I detest media bombardment of something that has nothing to do with us even more. Why should Edmontonians innately care about the TORONTO Blue Jays? Except to indicate that they should change their name..(sarcasm)

This may come as a shock to you Replacement but there actually exists sports enthusiasts whose favourite game is not Hockey. Absolutely thousands of fans Canada-wide support Soccer and it's a lot less expensive to get your kids into this sport but here in Edmonton there is very little coverage on it but you don't get much complaining about there not being a balanced reporting on teams and results of other sports (Hockey & C.F.L.). I don't resent your choice of favourite game but why complain when a great team ,The Jays, has taken Canada's only Major League game so far and close to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by Komorosky View Post
    This may come as a shock to you Replacement but there actually exists sports enthusiasts whose favourite game is not Hockey. Absolutely thousands of fans Canada-wide support Soccer and it's a lot less expensive to get your kids into this sport but here in Edmonton there is very little coverage on it but you don't get much complaining about there not being a balanced reporting on teams and results of other sports (Hockey & C.F.L.). I don't resent your choice of favourite game but why complain when a great team ,The Jays, has taken Canada's only Major League game so far and close to victory.
    Its all fair question and I never mind explaining myself.

its no accident that the Blue Jays are from Toronto, the media center of the universe in Canada. As such the familiarity, and following of that club has been conditioned as much as anything. A strong statement could formerly be made that the Expos were Canada's club but the advent of the Blue Jays certainly supplanted that but largely through said media influence. The Blue Jays, and Blues Jays coverage is on all the time. Its unavoidable, its massive media bombardment. I hear more about that team than any other sports team in the nation and constantly through a 162game season.

Now presently, the ratings match that and so at this point time its justified coverage. It wasn't always that and mere decades ago viewership of MLB in Western Canada wasn't so grand.

In anycase its just impossible for any non fan to escape the Blue Jays mania. Not just sports pages, front pages. Saddled with this is the disappointment that AJS alluded too earlier that there just is very limited local coverage. For instance we have the best University sports clubs in the nation and they get sparse if any coverage. Wasn't always like this. Golden Bears hockey games used to get actual write ups, actual articles.

meanwhile we have local squads like Eskimos and FCEdmonton that would really appreciate more coverage. Both of which play in sports where there is less games and therefore at best getting part time coverage.

btw I'm a huge soccer fan and advocate. Its first choice as far as my encouraging kids to learn to play. Beautiful game and great for fitness.

Obviously a large part of the media attention on the Blue Jays is attributable to their success in the past 15 months. Before that they were a perennial non playoff team dating back to their last world series win in 1993. There are a fair number of Blue Jays fans across the country. During the last Blue Jays games in Seattle the stands were filled with thousands of fans from BC (a sea of blue jerseys in the stands). Supposedly fans from Manitoba flock to Minneapolis when the Jays play there as well.

So whenever the Jays decline back into mediocrity so will the media attention decline as well.
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 21-10-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Obviously a large part of the media attention on the Blue Jays is attributable to their success in the past 15 months. Before that they were a perennial non playoff team dating back to their last world series win in 1993. There are a fair number of Blue Jays fans across the country. During the last Blue Jays games in Seattle the stands were filled with thousands of fans from BC (a sea of blue jerseys in the stands). Supposedly fans from Manitoba flock to Minneapolis when the Jays play there as well.

So whenever the Jays decline back into mediocrity so will the media attention decline as well.
    I know, I check ratings, I acknowledged that right now the attention is warranted.

Just that the current informational age we live in tends to be a media cross bombarded universe where its literally impossible to escape whatever flavors of the day are out there. I mean that tongue in cheek in respect to the Jays. They've been ratings and support solid for quite awhile now.

More the annoyance is MLB having 162 games which just basically monopolizes sporting coverage through GP saturation bombing..

C2E SME

^pretty much