Thread: Do you have a dashcam?

Default Do you have a dashcam?

I do - it cost me a grand total of about $30, including the memory card. Why do I have it?

- if I get in an accident, I want as much proof as possible
    - if I see something stupid, I want to be able to report it.

This is an example, of why I have one, on the QEII:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=847429

Unbelievable.

I want one but I hesitate because I want it to be wired in - I don't want wires dangling anywhere. I'm honestly shocked it's not an option in new vehicles.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The one I bought was $17. Plus $6 for the wire to hardwire it in. another few bucks for a fuse tap. It's like a 25 min job unless you're completely anal. It's small enough to hide behind the rear view mirror, so I can't see it.

You can buy cords long enough to run just along the headliner and A-pillar and down to your fuse box. Unless you get in there with a mirror, you're not going to notice the cable, but it's not a true invisible hardwire. Some cars are easier to tuck the cable in than others.

It really should be an option on new cars (front and rear cameras).

And while we're at it, I'm shocked no auto manufacturer has thought to put a power port up high on the dash board or in the corners of the dash so people with aftermarket GPS, radar detectors, etc and such don't have to have stupid cables running across their dash to the power port below the radio.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Bought one from Vancouver online. I have to get it hard wired. 1080p in front. 720 in the back window. 180 degree viewing. This is for legal purposes. To many crazy *** drivers out there. Cuts down on the he said she said.

I haven't hard wired mine, I just purchased a multi plug, it does mean I have a wire hanging down to the lighter, but not a big deal (to me anyway, also have a wire from my radar detector). Only bad thing is my current car, I have to unplug it after driving or will drain battery (previous vehicle switched off the lighter when engine turned off).

I wonder if automakers are terrified of big brother privacy concerns or similar, I would pay for a dashcam option though. I'm really glad for these devices, stupid dangerous drivers will get recorded more and more.
    Last edited by moahunter; 13-04-2016 at 09:18 AM.

In my car, the lighter socket is always on and I did not want to have to remember to turn the camera on and off several times a day. I opened the over dash light acess panel that also serves the sunroof motor. I found a cicuit that only powers up with the ignition key. I bought a 12VDC to USB transformer on Amazon because no one in the city has these things and mounted it inside the access panel. Ran a 9 inch long USB cable to the camera. Clean install and works great.

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-04-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

What I want isn't so much a dashcam, but a FLIR camera so I can see deer easier in the nighttime.
    http://www.movinon.com/flir.asp

Just curious to those that have them mounted already - how often have you downloaded or used the video - whether for personal viewing or for legal purposes?

Second question - is there an option for motion detection? Could you leave this on while parked and it records when motion in field of view - would be great for the parking lot hit and runs.

^I've never downloaded mine, but if something happens I will. Just pull card out and plug it into PC.

I did have to push some weird button combo to get it to re-record back over the memory card (my bad for buying a cheap version out of china I guess). Here is a model with motion detection:

http://www.tested.com/tech/456565-be...-car-costs-60/

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    Just curious to those that have them mounted already - how often have you downloaded or used the video - whether for personal viewing or for legal purposes?

Second question - is there an option for motion detection? Could you leave this on while parked and it records when motion in field of view - would be great for the parking lot hit and runs.
    many cameras have that feature
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

While I can understand the appeal I'd also say in 30 years of driving I can't think of a time I would have benefitted from one.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^you have never seen something you would like to report? I saw a truck driver fall asleep once on QEII (went off road and crashed), and had a guy reverse into me (fortunately he was honest, so no insurance issue, but he could have claimed I drove into him). To me, its a small investment for some peace of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    While I can understand the appeal I'd also say in 30 years of driving I can't think of a time I would have benefitted from one.
    Same thing applies to me & airbags.

When I get my vehicle in a couple of months (after 10 years without) I'll be getting a dashcam installed day 1.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Yes in my 20+ years of driving I can think a of at least three times a dash cam would have been nice.

The main one was when I was behind the guy that drove in the City of Edmonton welcome sign on QEII.

The other two were not my fault accidents that did go smoothly but would have felt better having some video evidence......... time to shop online!!

While I've seen plenty of bad drivers out there, I've rarely, if ever, seen anything that would be worth reporting to the police. I've been in three collisions. One was the other guys fault but the damage was minimal and we worked it out ourselves. Two were in parking lots, one my fault, and one pretty much both our faults. In both cases there were no disputes. In all three cases a dash cam wouldn't have changed anything as in all three cases the camera would have been pointed the wrong way.

I'm not disputing there are times they could be useful, just that those cases are in any way common.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Same thing applies to me & airbags.

When I get my vehicle in a couple of months (after 10 years without) I'll be getting a dashcam installed day 1.
    The difference is airbags keep you alive and a dash cam saves you inconvenience.

The difference is airbags keep you alive and a dash cam saves you inconvenience.
    It might keep someone else alive though, if it takes someone off the road (like that video I posted in OP).

The "inconvenience" can be pretty life-altering as well. Being able to correctly place fault for an incident can save huge amounts of time, money, stress & effort. Human memory is utter crap & the impartial gaze of the camera eye is far more reliable.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm not disputing there are times they could be useful, just that those cases are in any way common.
    Fair enough. But just think of how thankful astronomers are for Russia's penchant for dash cams after Chelyabinsk!

In all seriousness I tend to agree with you and haven't bothered with one to this point. If it was an option on vehicles, it's something I'd consider though.

Again, not denying the utility. I just think that utility hasn't been that common for me.

There are a lot of interesting issues at play here too. There's the question of when and who has access to the footage. If you screw up, should your insurance company get access to your cam footage. If the cams are built in, should you be able to erase the footage if you want or should the footage be locked. If we're OK with all vehicles recording everything happening around them are we OK with cams on every street corner recording everything that's happening. If we're OK with that who should have access to that footage. etc.

I have caught 4 drunk drivers before I got a cam. Sadly they were not available then. The one that I had to go to court 2-1/2 years later, he had 6 charges against him but because I was not asked to come down and pick him out of a police line, the crown attorney gave up (I think she was overloaded with cases and did not care to pursue the case) even though it was his car that was trashed and I lead police to his house. That was 10 years ago and I had my wife's cell phone but did not think of taking any pictures in the heat of the moment and was too busy on the cell phone telling the 911 dispatch where I was as I followed him. If I had the cam, I could make a copy and give the video to police.

Again, not denying the utility. I just think that utility hasn't been that common for me.

There are a lot of interesting issues at play here too. There's the question of when and who has access to the footage. If you screw up, should your insurance company get access to your cam footage. If the cams are built in, should you be able to erase the footage if you want or should the footage be locked. If we're OK with all vehicles recording everything happening around them are we OK with cams on every street corner recording everything that's happening. If we're OK with that who should have access to that footage. etc.
    For the $30-70 they cost, it's extremely cheap insurance. One collision that should have been their fault but due to he said she said, they put is at 50/50. Hassle of bringing your car in to get fixed, now it's been in a collision so it won't sell for as much, who knows if your insurance won't go up.
    I can think of 3 instances in the past 10 years that a cam would have helped. two hit and runs on my vehicles, and one where a driver pushed my wife off the road. Not to mention all the illegal and dangerous activity seen on the road. Or the minor infractions like littering from a car.

There's no question of the footage. You're in public so can record whatever you want. You own the footage and your choice to do with it as you wish.

We may think that a lot of the stuff that goes on on the road is worth recording and reporting to police, but 99% of the time (figuratively speaking) they're not going to bother following up. So, if and when you do review your footage, you either end up thinking what a waste of money it was getting a dashcam, or 'stewing in your own juice'.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Long Term Contributor

What I may need:
    Dashcam for the car.
    Gopro strapped to my body.
    Camera in my bedroom!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What I may need:
    Dashcam for the car.
    Camera in my bedroom!
    And only two of those should ever be live streamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What I may need:
    Dashcam for the car.
    Camera in my bedroom!
    And only two of those should ever be live streamed.
    Maybe only two of them would see any action
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

I don't drive much, so yeah!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Now that I think about it one for bicycle would be cool. Maybe I can catch the numbskull with a two stroke strapped to his bike who uses the bike path by my place.

My brother in Ottawa put a fake camera on his helmet and ever since, drivers give him more room on the road.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 13-04-2016 at 06:33 PM.

And all it would take for cyclists to stop being arseholes is a license plate and insurance so they'd be liable for their actions.

Now that I think about it one for bicycle would be cool. Maybe I can catch the numbskull with a two stroke strapped to his bike who uses the bike path by my place.
    I saw a guy at night doing at least 70 kph on a powered bike on a level road. I was astounded how fast he was going and did not hear a motor. Could have been electric or gas, don't know, he just disappeared as fast as he appeared.

i wonder what his stopping distance is like?

^ Depends on what he hits.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I have 2 dashcams one in front and one for back window. This is the best bang for your buck dashcam out there. Don't have time to say much tonight but here's the link. Dashcam forums are a good place to start if interested.

http://www.banggood.com/HD-1080P-Car...h-p-88051.html

With all the id1ots on the road... I almost wouldn't drive without the 2 recording.

Alberta dash cam video makes national news this week

Police say they are considering reckless driving charges against an individual who executed a dangerous passing manoeuvre between two cars, in a stunt captured on dash cam video in Alberta.
    The video shows a black Infiniti darting between two BMWs on the two-lane QEII Highway, near Red Deer, Alta. The speeding vehicle does not appear to wait for an opening in the traffic, and straddles the white lane divider to get past the other cars.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police-...-cam-1.2857190

wish I had a dash cam. I watched some bozo use the inside shoulder to pass traffic on the henday last night, and traffic was already at or above the speed limit (Most probably doing at least 110)

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I saw a guy at night doing at least 70 kph on a powered bike on a level road. I was astounded how fast he was going and did not hear a motor. Could have been electric or gas, don't know, he just disappeared as fast as he appeared.

IIRC, electric power assists are legal on a bicycle. Gas motors are not as then you're motorcycle. Of course power assists are meant as an aid on hills, not as the primary drive.

For stopping distance I've seen 10m quoted for stopping a bike at 50kmh compared to 14m for a car at the same speed. This probably depends on the type of brakes being used and the skill of the rider.

^I always found them a bit silly, what's the point in a bike if not pedaling? Sure, it might be nice up a hill, but then, you have to carry the extra weight of that engine when you do decide to pedal.

70km/hr on flat is crazy though. A tour de france rider goes about 50km/hr on flat, so I'm guessing there must have been an assist.

Depending on how old you are and what city you live in they can mean the difference between riding or not riding. A proper one is charged by pedalling so you still have to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

IIRC, electric power assists are legal on a bicycle. Gas motors are not as then you're motorcycle. Of course power assists are meant as an aid on hills, not as the primary drive.

It's been a while since I looked into this but I don't think its as cut and dry as gas motor or not. Mopeds and gas powered scooters fell into a 'gray' category as I recall and most jurisdictions based it on motor size. Of course for the numskull referenced above speed limits must be followed on all roads and shared paths.

Mopeds and gas powered motors are not allowed on bike or multi-use paths. Plus you need be licensed and registered as they are motor vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    It's been a while since I looked into this but I don't think its as cut and dry as gas motor or not. Mopeds and gas powered scooters fell into a 'gray' category as I recall and most jurisdictions based it on motor size. Of course for the numskull referenced above speed limits must be followed on all roads and shared paths.
    He was doing at least 70 in a 50k zone. This guy was going faster than a racing bike on an oval sprint track.

I hope the Infiniti driver will be charged, the news report indicates that the one BMW driver knew and identified the driver, with that in conjunction with the video means you can prove who was driving the Infiniti when a violation occured.

My dash cam just recorded a police officer rolling through a stop sign at about 20 kph while talking on his cell phone.

You realize that they are exempt from the distracted driving laws... and in the course of police business may need to roll through a stop sign without lights/sirens on and ... its all legal.

Yeah even if they hit you crossing a marked crosswalk, your left on your own. EPS have speeding quotas to make. I need one of those video cameras attached to my coat.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

This isn't the Terminator 2, I see everything, but we're getting better

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...in-my-next-car

No,but after this category 5 ***** past me on the right hand side of a residential street when I was doing the speed limit,I wish I had one.

Here's an excellent and very entertaining subreddit called roadcam. Dozens of dashcam videos from all over the world of general driving stupidity, near misses, aggression, collisions and of course quality road rage. I can watch this stuff all day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roadcam/

Just to add, oh man don't you just love it when this happens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZozC...e=youtu.be&t=5

I have a dashcam, and I plan to put one looking out the rear window.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    I have a dashcam, and I plan to put one looking out the rear window.
    Well worth it. Now you can record the dummy messing around with their phone a couple of traffic lights before they rear end you. Watching the dashcam vid's on that subreddit it's rampant how the guilty and distracted try to place blame on the innocent and lie to their insurance company.

Watching someone blow through a stop sign and then blame the other party is a real eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Watching someone blow through a stop sign and then blame the other party is a real eye opener.
    I wonder if people are getting prosecuted for perjury on these. They should be.

^ For the same reason its ok to kill a pedestrian and just get a slap on the wrist. After all AAIRB needs something to do don't they?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Default Ottawa driver does his 'civic duty' capturing alleged drunk driver on dash cam

Another crazy dash cam one - drunk driver in Ottawa:

http://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-driv...-cam-1.3005123

An Ottawa man is being hailed for doing his civic duty and another Ottawa man has been charged with drunk driving after dramatic video captured on a dash cam.

The dash cam video was taken by Rocco Michelli who first noticed the white SUV on Friday morning near the Westgate Shopping Centre. According to Michelli, he followed the driver for 20 minutes. It started on Carling Avenue, then moved on the eastbound lanes of the 417 where the driver is seeing bouncing off barriers before finally exiting on Walkley road, where police were waiting.

I saw one on sale for $40. Didn't realize they were do cheap. So what's the price and make of a decent one? Any good review sites? Also I wouldn't want one that would in anyway block my view of the road. (See my ' I hate crap hanging from mirrors' rant.)

^you can probably google and find. I think they are all probably good though, my super cheap one has been fine (albeit the menus are a bit whacko / Chinese / need to delete reset when memory card runs out). I noticed even some gas stations are selling them now. Only thing to watch is whether or not your lighter socket powers down (some autos do, some don't). If it doesn't, you need to get in habit of unplugging (or wire it as discussed earlier in thread).

Default Dash cams

Anyone here with experience in researching and buying dash cams? I'm curious about pros/cons and brands, value, etc. I see that Garmin GPS and companies like that are also adding dash cams into their units.

Here's a good place to start KC.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

Here's a link to the "What to buy"/best bang for your buck" dashcams.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...-sticky.10618/

I have two G1W, their not exactly the same though. Chinese thing I guess. The better one is my front cam and they both work quite well considering I paid $150.00 including micro SD cards for both.

https://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

All I care about is decent picture quality. No bells and whistles and all that can start costing a lot extra... just give me some good 1080 video and I'm happy.

free Phone app...

Nexar App Turns Your Phone Into a Smart Dash Cam

SEPTEMBER 25, 2016, BY RICH DEMURO

His company has created a free app for Android and iOS that turns your phone into a smart dashcam.

http://ktla.com/2016/09/25/nexar-app...smart-dashcam/