Thread: Edmonton Queen up for auction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Queen up for auction

Edmonton Queen is up for auction
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tion-1.3534178

Hope it stays operational. It's a great way for people to explore the river valley.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^IMO it should get moved to a lake or similar, where the rides can be of reasonable length. It would be neat somewhere like Vernon. Jet boats, canoes, or similar, make a lot more sense for exploring the river valley.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I bid 10,001.

It should set sail with Captain Morgan everyday.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

It was designed too heavy. Can't get very far up or downstream. I would love to be able to take a sternwheeler to Fort Edmonton, but this one can't even get past Groat Bridge.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Perhaps Castledowns community league would want it for their man made lake.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Or perhaps it should go to the lake in Blatchford...

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    It was designed too heavy. Can't get very far up or downstream. I would love to be able to take a sternwheeler to Fort Edmonton, but this one can't even get past Groat Bridge.
    Actually it was launched near the Quesnell Bridge bridge. I think they had higher water levels or they had to dredge to get it moved to the location it's in now and i remember they even tried to get it back there at one point and it got stuck.

Maybe it would work better in the deeper waters of Lake Abraham.

I can see it now...

Alberta Whale Watching Tours $75
    Free drinks while you watch
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^or could put it in Glenmore Reservoir and have races against the S.S. Moyie Paddlewheeler.

Leave it where it is and turn it into a bar.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Or even a really funky restaurant.

C2E Posting Power

if no practical solution to continuing the current use, I agree, permanently park it, and have an all year restaurant set up... keep some nice patio options for summer, coffee shop for daytime river valley users, etc.

I, however, don't know how practical that is (floating, permanent restaurant)
    i love lamp

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I like that idea, but move it to Rossdale plant
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    There we go!

There we go!
    If someone has time to get a C2E kickstarter campaign to make this happen, go for it!

The real cost would probably be associated with re-docking it permanently or semi-permanently at Rossdale while the site isn't publicly accessible. Running services, ensuring parking (ugh), making everything accessible, etc.

^ don't forget the environmental side of it, you don't want a rusty piece of steel polluting the NS water... I'm guessing there is some type of fish that have breed near the Rosdale that would also have to be studied.

Airlift it in WEM to replace the submarines???

How about Sink it in lake Summerside and make an artificial dive site?

@ $10k you don't even recoup the cost at the scrap yard.

Might be cool to lift the ol' girl out of the water and have a dry-dock riverside restaurant. That would address some of those concerns...

^while I have been on a nightclub on a boat moored in a harbor, I think generally, its probably cheaper to build a restaurant that looks like a boat, than try to turn a boat into a restaurant. She isn't really an "old girl" either (completed in 1995), and like the one in Calgary, isn't a legit historical boat (doesn't have steam engines). If you ever visit New Zealand, visit Queenstown and take a ride on the the Earnslaw (you can see the steam engines in operation, its pretty cool, although screw not paddle boat, which some of her sister ships were):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSS_Earnslaw

There is a neat ride in Waterton as well, which takes you to the US. It has a cool history of it being transported and assembled:

http://cdn.allglacier.com/images/con...at_tour_md.jpg
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-04-2016 at 03:09 PM.

The season is too short and the water levels too unpredictable for it to be a reliable ride even as a tourist attraction. As far as re-purposing it, I've never eaten on it (but I have sailed on it) and it strikes me as an absolutely awful venue for a restaurant or a cafe or a bar. Such gimmicky settings rarely make for viable businesses: Captain John's in Toronto is the latest example of failure I know of.

Proper riverside cafes and restaurants designed for all seasons along a promenade in Rossdale are much more preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Perhaps Castledowns community league would want it for their man made lake.
    That private lake they have in Summerside might bid on it. That would really be keeping up with the Jones's.
    They could name this ship Floaty McBoaty.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    That private lake they have in Summerside might bid on it. That would really be keeping up with the Jones's.
    They could name this ship Floaty McBoaty.
    Repurposed and outfitted for the homeless . . . zing ! !

I'll be fine with whatever the "market decides". If someone finds more value than the scrap metal in it, fine, if not, fine. Permanently docked offshore restaurant and bar in Rossdale does sound nifty, although the engine exhaust is first class tugboat stink, so I'd prefer if they run an extension cord to it.

(Also would help if there was anything else in Rossdale.)

Would like to see a "Queen 2.0" for the Fort Edmonton (with stops at Hawrelak and the Zoo) run regardless.

How about a couple of York boats for Fort Ed and Zoo stops instead of the smelly Queen?

^agreed, York boats work in this river, and are its true history. The paddle steamer idea was just a terrible one from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    How about a couple of York boats for Fort Ed and Zoo stops instead of the smelly Queen?
    It is really hard to row upstream without spilling your margarita...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I hoped Mayor Mandel's idea to put a weir in the river near Rundel Park would help raise the water levels for all kinds of water-related sporting activities throughout the downtown.

Only then could we see the Queen sailing beyond the High Level Bridge. Maybe a water taxi as well.

Alas it was not to be.

Picture source (much higher resolution available)

Before the railway, oil and gas, lumber and before widespread farming, the steamboats arrived in Edmonton and, for a little place hanging on by its fingernails, they were exactly what it needed. If it hadnt been for the steamboats, Edmonton might never have got going.

It is a part of our past every bit as significant as the coming of the fur traders, the Oblate Missionaries, the Klondike Gold Rush, the arrival of the railway and the discovery of oil. Yet most Edmontonians have probably never heard much about it.
    Source
    Last edited by JayBee; 16-04-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks Jay bee for the excellent post. I had never seen that picture before of two paddle wheelers and the docks. I knew that paddle wheelers did a lot of essential transport on the river to Edmonton but that shows a large dock area and a high river level.

Great picture. I also can see the rivet plates on the new bridge they were building in the background. 100 years later we still build bridges the same way it seems seams.

Of note, Walterdale Bridge also under construction, and actual Fort Edmonton in the shadows on the right.

Despite their historical accuracy they still look smelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Thanks Jay bee for the excellent post. I had never seen that picture before of two paddle wheelers and the docks. I knew that paddle wheelers did a lot of essential transport on the river to Edmonton but that shows a large dock area and a high river level.

Great picture. I also can see the rivet plates on the new bridge they were building in the background. 100 years later we still build bridges the same way it seems seams.
    It's interesting, supposedly the two dams on the river haven't changed river volume, but they have changed the timing of water levels. Even in the 1870s, 1880s and 1890s, it seems the boats could only sometimes operate, a bit of a failed enterprise by the Hudson Bay Company, to try and avoid the labour costs of the fur brigades: (see commercial navigation):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nort...atchewan_River

What this^guy didn't just read on wikipedia was that there were actually different sizes of boat.

And my thumbs ache from typing the rolleyes smiley.

Edmonton Queen's auction closes in just over a week

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...week-1.3550589

Well, this auction could be an opportunity to reintroduce the dream... Lessons learned, time to upgrade to a newer and better version.

Is it time to build a new riverboat?

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...d.php?p=542147

Going once, twice, three times, sold to the person with the $553,000

http://www.630ched.com/2016/05/03/ed...ls-at-auction/

I guess the question is now what will happen to it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Well one thing, I don't think it will be scrap metal at that price.

If it were me, first thing I'd investigate is moving it to a body of water that can accomodate it, second thing would be docking and restauranting it as suggested.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2677214/ed...ore-than-500k/

Spencer said it’s up to the new owner to decide the future of the vessel.

“It’s their’s to kind of do what they will with it.”

However, Spencer said the new owner’s plan right now is to continue to own and operate the boat the same way it has been done in the past. He said there may be minor tweaks like a coffee shop and possible renovations, but they plan to run cruises as long as river water levels permit. There is no word on whether that will happen this summer.

The successful bidder doesn’t want their identity revealed at the moment.

Perhaps it's time city council looked into installing a weir on the river.

least its staying here that's a good thing.

bump bump bump

Spend those certain tens of millions for the sake of a private owned, badly designed, minor attraction can make slightly longer discretionary runs?

At the expense of what other priorities?

Who am I kidding. No.

At the absolute maximum, enable docking for someone who wants to build a shallow draught carbon fibre boat.

We need more variety of activities in the river valley, especially activity on the river itself. A weir wouldn't just benefit the Edmonton Queen. How about water taxis, dragon boaters, houseboats, canoes, or that proposed ferry at Louise McKinney Park? A weir may even help plans for a proposed riverside beach.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Won't a weir affect the ability to navigate the river?

I'm guessing the opportunity for this has already passed. The environmental impact study would take years and years and then likely have so many faults or recommendations it would never be achievable. Also I could see liability being a huge issue when the river floods again it will be partly blamed on the weir....and the city to pay for damages upstream and down.

Calgary gets away with doing a whole bunch of river altering things in the name of recreation.
    Saskatoon has a weir and they don't have problems with it, I don't see why Edmonton can't.
    I believe wildlife has more to gain by having a weir than not.
    Exactly what environmental problems would arise from having a weir?

We need more variety of activities in the river valley, especially activity on the river itself. A weir wouldn't just benefit the Edmonton Queen. How about water taxis, dragon boaters, houseboats, canoes, or that proposed ferry at Louise McKinney Park? A weir may even help plans for a proposed riverside beach.
    Which of those other craft can't use the river already?

This is the definition of throwing good money after bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Which of those other craft can't use the river already?

This is the definition of throwing good money after bad.
    I've only been on the river in a canoe, a river boat and on the EQ. I wanted to buy a boat for use on our river but backed off on my plan because the water depth varies greatly. Anything motorized faces risks and so you pretty much have to buy an inboard or outboard jet and even there you face grounding. (Dredging would do wonders.)

Since the water depth is likely periodically lessened by damning, is that why this is the definition of throwing good money after bad. Was the damn bad money spent?

I don't think I could explain it to you.

I do have a shallow draft Kevlar river canoe. (Nahanni) It doesn't need any docks. It's fine for the river and that's the only canoe I've used on our river. What's not understood here, is that a weir would create a recreational lake environment.

I don't think Winston Churchill could have explained it to you.

10 years ago a weir was considered this article mentions the environmental impacts.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-the-weir-idea

And as the article stated a weir was also considered in 1974 by the provincial government.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    10 years ago a weir was considered this article mentions the environmental impacts.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...-the-weir-idea
    Did it mention what the environmental impacts are of the river decreasing in flow and depth?

Not sure given that the river has shown natural extremes of far in excess, how raising the river depth by a foot or two through use of weirs would be that environmentally damaging. If anything wouldn't it be more a return to more typical depth?

ps One thing I learned from that article is Edmonton getting a funicular, ultimately, due to Mandel being "lazy".
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-05-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It does explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    It does explain it.
    I read through it and all I saw was bank erosion, silt deposit, all actions which occur naturally anyway.

A lot of the "environmental impact" cited is vague. Sounds more like a "don't change the river or alter it in the slightest way for any reason" faction.

I get that weirs may be unhelpful and may create drowning hazards but they could be located downstream in areas seldom used between Edmonton and Fort Saskatchewan.

Next, nowhere did I see a thorough analysis on the North Saskatchewan already being lower than typical depth and the impacts of that.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

Well one thing that will help people come to the river valley will be the Valley line LRT. This will hopefully give more people, more reasons to want to do things in and around the river.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    It does explain it.
    I read through it and all I saw was bank erosion, silt deposit, all actions which occur naturally anyway.

A lot of the "environmental impact" cited is vague. Sounds more like a "don't change the river or alter it in the slightest way for any reason" faction.

I get that weirs may be unhelpful and may create drowning hazards but they could be located downstream in areas seldom used between Edmonton and Fort Saskatchewan.

Next, nowhere did I see a thorough analysis on the North Saskatchewan already being lower than typical depth and the impacts of that.
    How high do you want this weir to be?

The same height as Saskatoon's weir.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    It does explain it.

How high do you want this weir to be?
    I already stated it. Anything sufficient to raise river level 1-2ft. The height of the weir obviously depending on where its situated.

Do we think knowing the contour of the river itself might be a little important?

Meet the new king of the Edmonton Queen
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ueen-1.3666999

Racer, has his own race F5000 track, competed in NZ F5000, did Watkins, did Goodwood... and has a private airstrip to boot! damn.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Sounds like he's lived the life.

And knows how to get something done.

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I wanted to rent the Edmonton Queen this summer for a function, but she is still stuck in the Red Tape that is the City of Edmonton and Transport Canada.

Way to go City of Edmonton, and you wonder why you are not more successful attracting businesses and tourism?! You cost a business owner a year of income over Red Tape. when you should have been bending over backwards to accommodate a unique Edmonton business and tourist attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I wanted to rent the Edmonton Queen this summer for a function, but she is still stuck in the Red Tape that is the City of Edmonton and Transport Canada.

Way to go City of Edmonton, and you wonder why you are not more successful attracting businesses and tourism?! You cost a business owner a year of income over Red Tape. when you should have been bending over backwards to accommodate a unique Edmonton business and tourist attraction.

Such a Shane. I feel sorry for the owner..