Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NHL Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    And Tampa has momentum going back home, should be interesting too see if they can take control of the series.
    If they get Stamkos and Bishop back they might be scary.

I really hope either St Louis or San Jose win it all. Great teams, great fans, and they deserve a cup.
    Blues fans sure weren't great tonight. Team seemed to be getting the jeers from the home faithful as much as anything. Getting on the hometeam in a big playoff game? yikes.

Pretty cynical crowd that seemed to be waiting for shoes to drop all night, which they did. Sharks back in control headed home.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Hell of a Blues/SJ game tonight.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I was watching the Sharks/Blues game in between wrestling commercial breaks. The sharks look scary.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    And Tampa has momentum going back home, should be interesting too see if they can take control of the series.

I really hope either St Louis or San Jose win it all. Great teams, great fans, and they deserve a cup.
    Blues fans sure weren't great tonight. Team seemed to be getting the jeers from the home faithful as much as anything. Getting on the hometeam in a big playoff game? yikes.

Pretty cynical crowd that seemed to be waiting for shoes to drop all night, which they did. Sharks back in control headed home.
    Those are not boos, they are just saying Blues.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

At some point in McLellan's Oiler tenure I'd love to see the Oilers replace the Blues and the Oilers give the Sharks a shellacking to move onto the finale. I can dream can't I?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Gonna happen, gonna happen!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Weird how one team can dominate, and look unbeatable, like the Blues did in game 4, and then look like the worst team ever the next game. Tarasenko was brutal, and so was Petrangelo, and both are great players.

I'm not sure what adjustments the Sharks made, but St Louis looked totally confused all night.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

^although perhaps not the case here because of the back and forth, I have long been suspicious that when a team gets out in front to a dominating position in playoffs, there is some pressure to ease off / throw a game or two, to get more box / stadium revenues. If you can get another home game while still comfortably making the next round, it helps the franchise a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post

Those are not boos, they are just saying Blues.
    Not sure if joking.

They were impatient and getting on their team lots of times in the game particularly on PP.

At end of the game rather than the home crowd applauding their team (in what could be the last home game of the season) as is customary for a season well played, the Blues fans all walked off in disgust. Empty seats abound while the Blues players skated off the ice. Not even clapping sending them off on their way to SJ.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Weird how one team can dominate, and look unbeatable, like the Blues did in game 4, and then look like the worst team ever the next game. Tarasenko was brutal, and so was Petrangelo, and both are great players.

I'm not sure what adjustments the Sharks made, but St Louis looked totally confused all night.
    I think the difference though is that Thornton, Burns, Pavelski and company have dominated throughout the playoffs and have the stats to back that up. how many goals is Tarasenko notching in these playoffs? He looks like a scared kid out there. Scared to make mistakes in tight games. I'm not sold that Petrangelo is really as good as he's made out to be. I think he struggles more against elite squads whereas Burns just plays better in big games this season.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

The Blues play was atrocious for many parts of last night's game and the power play has been dreadful often in this series. When they pulled the goalie it was pure disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The Blues play was atrocious for many parts of last night's game and the power play has been dreadful often in this series. When they pulled the goalie it was pure disaster.
    That was just about the worst 6 skater push I've ever seen. What in the world was Pietrangelo doing? Literally just standing there beside his own net with the puck until someone took it away from him. Brutal.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Point of fact is the Blues play has looked worse in this series playing against a club that has the energy to close quickly on puck and be tight checking. Blues weren't getting a lot of sustained puck entries in Sharks end the entire 3rd period despite Sharks going into a prevent the whole 3rd period. Without Jones looking suspect and fighting even routine shots it doesn't look like Blues established much of anything.

What is being exposed is the Blues ability to create when time and space is taken away.

Conversely you could put jumbo in a phone booth and he somehow works his magic. Great players do well in tight checking. Blues don't have that kind of elite player. They have a lot of good players, but not greats like Thornton, Pavelski, Burns.

The best players in this series are bending the results. As often occurs.

That was just about the worst 6 skater push I've ever seen. What in the world was Pietrangelo doing? Literally just standing there beside his own net with the puck until someone took it away from him. Brutal.
    It sure looked silly. I was laughing my head off when he got picked. But in context this was on a team that outside of 1 game has had trouble generating much in this series. Blues were getting shutdown all over the ice. In defence Petrangelo was trying to find some kind of outlet that could even work.

Reality is the Sharks in the entire 3minute goalie pull barely got setup in opposition end. you know its going poorly when you pull your goalie and the opposition has twice as many shots on net...

It sure looked silly. I was laughing my head off when he got picked. But in context this was on a team that outside of 1 game has had trouble generating much in this series. Blues were getting shutdown all over the ice. In defence Petrangelo was trying to find some kind of outlet that could even work.

Reality is the Sharks in the entire 3minute goalie pull barely got setup in opposition end. you know its going poorly when you pull your goalie and the opposition has twice as many shots on net...
    You know St Louis is going to dominate next game, don't you, just because you said that?

As soon as one team looks dominant, the other team turns it around.

I don't know what magical strategy Hitchcock can come up with now. St Louis are an excellent team, with great players, but the SJ defensive game is all over them. Well coached team and experienced veteran players. They knew what the Blues were going to do before the Blues did.

The first goal will be huge. Both teams are good playing with a lead, and don't give up much.

How does someone as big as Joe Thornton, at his age, create so much space? I think he may be the best passer I've ever seen, and maybe that's why they are playing off him.

And how does Pavelski get open so often right in front of the net?

The Blues need to hit everything that moves for SJ, and they need to score first.

I like both teams. But I'd really love to see Thornton win a cup, if only to shut up the legions of Bruins fans who still dump on him, as if trading him away was a good move.

You know St Louis is going to dominate next game, don't you, just because you said that?

As soon as one team looks dominant, the other team turns it around.

I don't know what magical strategy Hitchcock can come up with now. St Louis are an excellent team, with great players, but the SJ defensive game is all over them. Well coached team and experienced veteran players. They knew what the Blues were going to do before the Blues did.

The first goal will be huge. Both teams are good playing with a lead, and don't give up much.
    I must be a slow learner.

Agreed that STL are an excellent team but so are SJ but with the Sharks happening to have a few superstars. Really the most dangerous player the Blues have is Tarasenko and he's missing in action. As I mentioned the top 3 Sharks players are simply night and day better than the top 3 Blues players. That can make a difference and has.

Of note those top 3 Sharks players were good enough to make the LA Kings top players look silly in that series. Absolutely schooling such players as Doughty and Kopitar who I highly respect. That's when I knew this Sharks club was likely on to some big things.

in anycase Jones is suspect imo. The one weakness on the Sharks team, not a good one to have. No doubt Blues have better goaltending.

How does someone as big as Joe Thornton, at his age, create so much space? I think he may be the best passer I've ever seen, and maybe that's why they are playing off him.

And how does Pavelski get open so often right in front of the net?

The Blues need to hit everything that moves for SJ, and they need to score first.

I like both teams. But I'd really love to see Thornton win a cup, if only to shut up the legions of Bruins fans who still dump on him, as if trading him away was a good move.
    Watch him move with the puck. He's a big version of Gretzky. He can hover with the puck in any direction, put it between your legs twice in a row, turn in a phone booth, protect the puck like Lindros, and his eyes, he see's the whole ice, so many times makes the right play.

Its not even fair when he's out there at EV. When its PP its lethal injection. He'll find that opening and put the dagger in. The play to Pavelski was typical Thornton gold. Show shot to goalie and defender, then hit the perfect pass. Timing being impeccable. He buys time in his sleep for plays like that to happen. Its like he suspends the game and opposition are in frozen suspended animation out there.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Both teams look good but SJ has momentum going into SJ for game 6. Is the next game an elimination game for the Blues?

Both teams look good but SJ has momentum going into SJ for game 6. Is the next game an elimination game for the Blues?
    Yes, potentially...

I shouldn't post this, and should know better, but Tarasenko is 0-0-0 in this series and -5 in last 4 GP. Not only that he hasn't looked even remotely dangerous and has been a push stopper for the Blues delivering muff shots and misfires.

That outlier sample aside the Sharks have 4 players in the top 5 in league playoff scoring. All of them have several more pts than the top producing Blue who happens to be, lol, Robby Fabri.

From a production pov this series is men against boys. Sharks can score, know they can, Blues are far less confident in opposition zone.

Sharks raising their stick, Blues smashing theirs. That's been much of the series so far.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If this was game #1 no way the Pens would have issued a coaches challenge. Good game though.

I shouldn't post this, and should know better, but Tarasenko is 0-0-0 in this series and -5 in last 4 GP. Not only that he hasn't looked even remotely dangerous and has been a push stopper for the Blues delivering muff shots and misfires.

That outlier sample aside the Sharks have 4 players in the top 5 in league playoff scoring. All of them have several more pts than the top producing Blue who happens to be, lol, Robby Fabri.

From a production pov this series is men against boys. Sharks can score, know they can, Blues are far less confident in opposition zone.

Sharks raising their stick, Blues smashing theirs. That's been much of the series so far.
    I think SJ are a better team, with better depth, but I wouldn't call it men against boys. The Blues have won a couple games. St Louis are an excellent team, and certainly deserve to be there. And they don't hit like boys St Louis have a slightly better D in my opinion. I know you don't like Pietrangelo, but the guy is one of the best in the game, and he's always matched against the other team's top players.

I think it's Shattenkirk that's struggling.

They need Tarasenko to get going. He's frustrated. He's one of the elite talents in the game. Vlasic and Braun are all over him. But he does have 7 goals in this years playoffs, and he's a great player. SJ just have an answer for him.

I won't be surprised if the Blues win, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think it depends on whether the Blues can establish their hitting game like they did in game 4, and which goalie plays best.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

For some reason there has been a lot of winning away from home this playoffs. We will see if the trend continues.

I think SJ are a better team, with better depth, but I wouldn't call it men against boys. The Blues have won a couple games. St Louis are an excellent team, and certainly deserve to be there. And they don't hit like boys St Louis have a slightly better D in my opinion. I know you don't like Pietrangelo, but the guy is one of the best in the game, and he's always matched against the other team's top players.

I think it's Shattenkirk that's struggling.

They need Tarasenko to get going. He's frustrated. He's one of the elite talents in the game. Vlasic and Braun are all over him. But he does have 7 goals in this years playoffs, and he's a great player. SJ just have an answer for him.

I won't be surprised if the Blues win, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think it depends on whether the Blues can establish their hitting game like they did in game 4, and which goalie plays best.

A couple things. Blues do not have the better D. Hands down Burns is the best D from either club and not even close. Just a dominant imposing D that also has a fantastic offensive touch. What doesn't Burns do. Next, Vlasic straight up is as good as any D blues have. Ditto Martin who you must be unfamiliar with. Martin is smart and reliable. Will seldom make bad plays. Braun is capable, and Polak, even though hated, is doing his best Willy Mitchell impression just being very physical and difficult to play against. Some bonehead aggression, no doubt, and not who I would have, but he's played a role.

On Sharks side Shattenkirk, yes, has struggled. But also Bouwmeester who looks done in this series. So outside of Petrangelo Blues are very reliant on guys that just can't handle the assignments in this series. Parayko has done OK but not ready for this level either.

Next, the hitting is a red herring. You'll note that overall Blues have been pretty tame in this series with respect to how they normally play. They're not even bothering to dress Greaves in this series. They're just trying to play hockey. The Blues know that it is impossible to push the Sharks around. The Blues also probably watched game film of the Kings trying to do that and getting dispatched in 5 games. The Kings belted and hit the Sharks 60mins every night to no avail. There was just no budging this Sharks club, and its when I knew that they had finally reached their SC run. This Sharks team under Deboer is playing the best a Sharks team ever has. Deboers has also been in the SC final before which is helpful to the squad.

Agree re: Burns, and Vlasic, but the Blues are just solid on D. Bowmeester and Pietrangelo are as solid as they come. Parayko isn't playing like a rookie at all. He's going to be an elite D soon, but maybe not yet. Shattenkirk is a step down from Bowmeester and Pietrangelo, and Parayko has usurped his position in the lineup.

Both teams are great at playing with the lead, but SJ have an unbelievable defensive game that is obviously well coached. They make the other team look like they suck.

SJ are better, but it's going to come down to who gets the lead, and whose goalie plays better. I give the edge to St Louis in net, and a goalie can easily steal a game. But I think SJ will win the series. They are clicking now like never before. Coach Todd must be really conflicted now (though he was the one who had the biggest problem with Thornton).

Joe Thornton has been one of my favourite players for a long time. He's taken so much flack over the years it isn't fair, especially from Boston fans, who can't accept the fact trading him away was one of the worst Boston management decisions ever (and there have been lots of big blunders by the Bruins).

I hope he gets to hoist the cup, but he's still a great player, regardless.

It's still the second period, but this series is over.

SJ are better than anyone with a lead. Up by two.

The Blues may not get two good scoring chances in the third. They're going to be pressing, cheating on offence, and SJ can make you pay, quick. St Louis need Elliott to be perfect, and Jones can't continue to be. Can't see it happening, but I'd love to see another game of this series. The hockey is excellent.

** too late now

Where was THAT Tarasenko all series? He could have scored 4 in the last few minutes. Makes me wonder if Hitchcock having him play a responsible 200 ft game was a mistake.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 25-05-2016 at 09:48 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

San Jose , Western Champions. A bit of a break waiting for the east now. Final series starts Monday, May 30

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What a game!

The Blues may not get two good scoring chances in the third. They're going to be pressing, cheating on offence, and SJ can make you pay, quick. St Louis need Elliott to be perfect, and Jones can't continue to be. Can't see it happening, but I'd love to see another game of this series. The hockey is excellent.

** too late now

Where was THAT Tarasenko all series? He could have scored 4 in the last few minutes. Makes me wonder if Hitchcock having him play a responsible 200 ft game was a mistake.
    C'mon, the 2nd goal was horrible and other than that SJ was in complete control. He got another shot on a slow pass across that any goalie in the league has and that was about that. Should've been 1 goal, not even two.

Oh, men against boys.

interesting that post broadcast Elliot Friedman and panel said same thing I did. That Sharks just have much more talented elite players, no comparison. Blues have some depth, but even from a depth pov Sharks are better.

Only advantage Blues had was goaltending or this series was over quicker.

Agree re: Burns, and Vlasic, but the Blues are just solid on D. Bowmeester and Pietrangelo are as solid as they come. Parayko isn't playing like a rookie at all. He's going to be an elite D soon, but maybe not yet. Shattenkirk is a step down from Bowmeester and Pietrangelo, and Parayko has usurped his position in the lineup.

Both teams are great at playing with the lead, but SJ have an unbelievable defensive game that is obviously well coached. They make the other team look like they suck.

SJ are better, but it's going to come down to who gets the lead, and whose goalie plays better. I give the edge to St Louis in net, and a goalie can easily steal a game. But I think SJ will win the series. They are clicking now like never before. Coach Todd must be really conflicted now (though he was the one who had the biggest problem with Thornton).

Joe Thornton has been one of my favourite players for a long time. He's taken so much flack over the years it isn't fair, especially from Boston fans, who can't accept the fact trading him away was one of the worst Boston management decisions ever (and there have been lots of big blunders by the Bruins).

I hope he gets to hoist the cup, but he's still a great player, regardless.
    Bouwmeester was -6 in this series. Just awful. The Sharks were smelling blood when he was out on the ice.

Anyway nice to see Jumbo and company finally headed to the SC final.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm looking forward to the Oilers 1st non training camp, game Thursday October 6th in Rogers Place arena.

** too late now

C'mon, the 2nd goal was horrible and other than that SJ was in complete control. He got another shot on a slow pass across that any goalie in the league has and that was about that. Should've been 1 goal, not even two.

Oh, men against boys.

interesting that post broadcast Elliot Friedman and panel said same thing I did. That Sharks just have much more talented elite players, no comparison. Blues have some depth, but even from a depth pov Sharks are better.

Only advantage Blues had was goaltending or this series was over quicker.
    The Blues deserve better than to be referred to as "boys". The Blues are an excellent team that gave it all they had left after going 7 against the reigning champions and a game 7 against a fast Dallas team that was near the top of the league. The Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars were a lot faster teams to play against than Nashville and LA. Probably better too, but they're all good teams.

One team has to lose. It's not because they suck. Pietrangelo isn't a lousy defenceman because he was beat by Thornton and Pavelski. He didn't have enough in the tank, and he was making tired decisions against some really good players who weren't tired.

And Bowmeester is an excellent defensemen, better than any we've had in this town since you-know-who by a mile.

Tarasenko's wife gave birth to their first child between game one and two of the series. You think he might have been a little distracted?

The St Louis Blues took out the defending champions in 7 games. That's an accomplishment. Then they went 7 games against the Dallas Stars, and beat them. If you don't think the St Louis Blues are a great team you are mistaken. They had a great playoffs, and have terrific players.

The Blues heavy minutes players were dead tired from the last two seven game series. Hitchcock knew it, and said as much. All of them were making tired decisions. It's not because they aren't that good. They are that good.

The failure of the St Louis Blues to close out the previous two series did them in. The Blues have a better D, 3-5, but they didn't play better this series, largely due to inexperience. But, again, they are very good players, and they'll be back next year.

Even DeBoer said because SJ were able to close out the first two series (they didn't have to play the Blackhawks, which was as fast a series as I've seen in awhile), they were able to give Thornton and Marleau time to rest.

Marleau hasn't looked like he did tonight for two years. Great game. The whole team has bought in to the checking first game. The forwards support the defence, and everybody plays for the goaltender is how Hitchcock put it (a great coach, who should be back).

Anyway, full credit to the San Jose Sharks.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 26-05-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Dallas was widely sited as the most likely team to upset in the WC playoffs. They were without Seguin the entire series and are virtually incapable of playing defense. This was a much easier matchup then it should've been. Sharks would've hammered the Stars 4 straight. Only the Blues abject futility strung that series out to 7 games.

Chicago was absolutely spent and had nothing more to give this playoffs. Toews spent months this season very ill and actually missed the Allstar game due to it. He caught a vicious flu that led to secondary infections and was coughing for months. he was never the same player this season. he said for over a month he felt like he couldn't breath on the bench his lungs were so congested. It happens. Hawks have played way too much hockey over last 5 seasons. No team can endure that and keep playing fresh and healthy. hawks were ready to finally get an offseason. They hit a wall. A fresh hawks club would NEVER lose to such an ordinary Blues club.

Blues aren't really all that good of a team. Like they said in the broadcast if you're relying on guys like Steen, Backes, Stastny, Berglund, to get it done in the playoffs you better think again. The broadcast referred to it as an overt talent mismatch. The Sharks possess 6 better players, Thornton, Pavelski, Burns, Marleau, Couture, Vlasic, than anybody on the Blues entire roster.

The Sharks are top 4 in playoff scoring. The blues don't have a single player even in the running. Its night and day as teams get in WC playoffs.

hey, good for the blues to get to conference final for once but that's not a good enough lineup to go the distance. part of the reason the Blues are tired is not really being able to roll lines. They just aren't that deep. They're getting older too.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-05-2016 at 01:22 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Dallas was widely sited as the most likely team to upset in the WC playoffs. They were without Seguin the entire series and are virtually incapable of playing defense. This was a much easier matchup then it should've been. Sharks would've hammered the Stars 4 straight. Only the Blues abject futility strung that series out to 7 games.

Chicago was absolutely spent and had nothing more to give this playoffs. Toews spent months this season very ill and actually missed the Allstar game due to it. He caught a vicious flu that led to secondary infections and was coughing for months. he was never the same player this season. he said for over a month he felt like he couldn't breath on the bench his lungs were so congested. It happens. Hawks have played way too much hockey over last 5 seasons. No team can endure that and keep playing fresh and healthy. hawks were ready to finally get an offseason. They hit a wall. A fresh hawks club would NEVER lose to such an ordinary Blues club.

Blues aren't really all that good of a team. Like they said in the broadcast if you're relying on guys like Steen, Backes, Stastny, Berglund, to get it done in the playoffs you better think again. The broadcast referred to it as an overt talent mismatch. The Sharks possess 6 better players, Thornton, Pavelski, Burns, Marleau, Couture, Vlasic, than anybody on the Blues entire roster.

The Sharks are top 4 in playoff scoring. The blues don't have a single player even in the running. Its night and day as teams get in WC playoffs.

hey, good for the blues to get to conference final for once but that's not a good enough lineup to go the distance. part of the reason the Blues are tired is not really being able to roll lines. They just aren't that deep. They're getting older too.
    Folks, this is a bad take.
    The Blues finished the year with 107 points, third in the entire league, while playing in the toughest division. They won 2 playoff series, and made it to Game 6 of a conference final. However, they "aren't really that good of a team", according to Replacement. My god the playoffs bring out a lot of silliness in some people.

Hey, is there any other team that you can think of that has an aging core who have come up short repeatedly in the playoffs, and was basically written off as a contender? Maybe they even missed the playoffs entirely last year?

What a game!
    Yup.

And should be an even better game tonight.

Go Pens !

But Top_Dawg won't be too upset if Tampa wins.

They are both fun teams to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post

Folks, this is a bad take.
    The Blues finished the year with 107 points, third in the entire league, while playing in the toughest division. They won 2 playoff series, and made it to Game 6 of a conference final. However, they "aren't really that good of a team", according to Replacement. My god the playoffs bring out a lot of silliness in some people.

Hey, is there any other team that you can think of that has an aging core who have come up short repeatedly in the playoffs, and was basically written off as a contender? Maybe they even missed the playoffs entirely last year?
    Its quite simple. Regular season is not playoffs, its not remotely similar. Playoffs are a battle of attrition with many games taking place in a short amount of time and a lot of travel and some of those games going into OT and taking much more of your time.

Blues have never been any good at solving that puzzle. Thing is the Blues have disappointed in playoffs every time out and its a usual thing. Dallas were, next to Minny, the easiest opponent in the WC playoffs despite regular season record playoffs because playoffs select against teams that do not play a complete system game.

Hey even Elliot Friedman and the panel post game were saying that there was a huge disparity in talent in this series. Blues have good players, Sharks have a core of GREAT players.

The Sharks didn't deliver in playoffs under McLellan. They were so rattled from 2014 series loss to the kings the team fell apart last year and lost its faith in the team and coach. That doesn't negate that they have some great players and Deboer coming in and telling them to believe in their ability to win a cup. Which is exactly what he did. Jumbo is saying Deboer has made a huge difference and has been an inspiration to the whole club.

But anyway I've won countless bets betting against the Blues through the years. What do I know? ftr I predicted them getting by Chicago because I knew some information on where the Hawks and Toews particularly were at. The Hawks will go as afar as Toews takes them If he's sick the team is different.

I can't believe any serious student of hockey would think Dallas game was going to win in the playoffs. Stars getting knocked out was a safe bet. ftr my wording could be better. Blues are a good team, but they weren't going to beat this Sharks team.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-05-2016 at 10:18 AM.

^ The teams the Blues have lost to the last 5 years:
    2012: Kings
    2013: Kings
    2014: Blackhawk
    2015: Wild (with Dubynk playing out of his mind)
    2016: Sharks

Only one team can come out of the Western Conference every year, and for the past 5 years, it has been great Kings & Hawks team. That speaks very highly of the clubs in Chicago and LA, but it doesn't have to speak negatively about all of the other teams, unless you have some sort of story to tell.
    The regular season/playoff nonsense is just that: nonsense. Take everything you wrote about the Blues struggling in the playoffs, replace "Blues" with "Sharks" and it would be true for any point in the last decade. Teams "can't win in the playoffs", until all of a sudden, one year, they can! Wow!
    Do the Sharks even deserve a spot in the Cup final for beating this crappy Blues team? If Nashville had pulled out Game 7 against SJ, what would you be writing about this "core of GREAT players"? So many narratives being determined by 1 or 2 game swings, it's incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    ^ The teams the Blues have lost to the last 5 years:
    2012: Kings
    2013: Kings
    2014: Blackhawk
    2015: Wild (with Dubynk playing out of his mind)
    2016: Sharks

Only one team can come out of the Western Conference every year, and for the past 5 years, it has been great Kings & Hawks team. That speaks very highly of the clubs in Chicago and LA, but it doesn't have to speak negatively about all of the other teams, unless you have some sort of story to tell.
    The regular season/playoff nonsense is just that: nonsense. Take everything you wrote about the Blues struggling in the playoffs, replace "Blues" with "Sharks" and it would be true for any point in the last decade. Teams "can't win in the playoffs", until all of a sudden, one year, they can! Wow!
    Do the Sharks even deserve a spot in the Cup final for beating this crappy Blues team? If Nashville had pulled out Game 7 against SJ, what would you be writing about this "core of GREAT players"? So many narratives being determined by 1 or 2 game swings, it's incredible.

lol bolded disclaimer. Always an excuse, even if its Dubnyk. C'mon. Sharks have beat 3 teams this season with better goalies than Dubnyk

Its tough to get out of the WC, there we agree. But of these clubs the Hawks, kINGS, Ducks, Sharks have some great players. REally on the Blues roster closest thing to great is Tarasenko. As stated they have a considerable number of good, but not great players.

Exactly the same premise as the broadcast last night saying the same thing. That skillwise the Sharks had it all over the Blues.

Story to tell? Prior to this season Blues had won only one playoff series in last 10 seasons. Think about that. Sharks had won 8, its now 11.

Blues were a team that could outwork teams in regular seson when only 2 pts are on the line. There is much more at stake in the playoffs and a different gear, and level of play and contention.

Regular season intensity is nothing like playoff intensity.

heres an interesting sidebar. Oilers in the 80's, even in dynastic years had trouble with teams like the Bruins in the regular season. They never had ANY problems with the Bruins in the playoffs. In fact the easiest SC cakewalks the Oilers had in any of their SC wins.

Again regular season does not = playoffs
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.

The Blues succeeded this season inspite of a lot of injuries. They have some great players, a great coach, and are a great team.

The defending champion multi cup winning Chicago Blackhawks were the prohibitive favourite going into the playoffs, because they have such an experienced skillful core, and continued to add solid players through trades, like Andrew Ladd.

That first series was tough, but the Blues won it in 7, through a ton of hard work. To suggest the Blackhawks weren't very good is the same mistake you are making saying the Blues aren't very good, or Tampa, for that matter. All three of those teams are great teams, and the Blackhawks are a team for the ages.

The Blues weren't just great this season. They've been great for quite awhile. I hope they get another crack at it next year, because the team and it's fans continue to be among the elite teams in the league, and it's really appreciated in the "tank era".

There were no "weak" teams in the playoffs. The only weak teams in the league didn't make the playoffs, and some strong teams didn't make it.

The Chicago Blackhawks series took a lot of energy out of the team. They would have been a lot better in this series if they didn't have to go through the Hawks in the 1st round, which made it tougher for them to close out the 2nd round, and by the 3rd round Hitchcock was trying to manage the games the best he could, knowing his high minutes guys were out of gas.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 26-05-2016 at 02:28 PM.

How about those raptors... err they are probably done now.

... The Sharks possess 6 better players, Thornton, Pavelski, Burns, Marleau, Couture, Vlasic, than anybody on the Blues entire roster.

Burns and Vlasic are D, and not an apt comparison. If you think Couture and Marleau are better than Tarasenko we're not going to agree on much.

Tarasenko is at or near the very top of the league as far as talent goes. As I mentioned previously, his wife gave birth to their first child between games one and two. There's no way the birth of your first child isn't a distraction from hockey, as it should be.

... The Sharks possess 6 better players, Thornton, Pavelski, Burns, Marleau, Couture, Vlasic, than anybody on the Blues entire roster.

Burns and Vlasic are D, and not an apt comparison. If you think Couture and Marleau are better than Tarasenko we're not going to agree on much.

Tarasenko is at or near the very top of the league as far as talent goes. As I mentioned previously, his wife gave birth to their first child between games one and two. There's no way the birth of your first child isn't a distraction from hockey, as it should be.
    Tarasenko is talented. But I have to admit that Couture has certainly put his game together something fierce. Couture is making fantastic plays out there on a nightly basis and being involved every night in scoring plays. His pass lass night to Donskoi? Like he's been watching Jumbo for years.

Couture has 24pts, he leads all NHLers in pts in postseason. His coming out party. ftr Tarasenko has 15 pts including two meaningless goals last night when the game was over. That's in 2 more GP. Lets talk when Tarasenko has a playoff like Couture is on.

Marleau? was a better player. He's old now.

Thornton, obviously better than Tarasenko, ditto Pavelski. Not even debatable.

As for the D why are those comparisons out of the question. No doubt whatsoever Burns is the best D in the series by a wide margin. Or Vlasic, Martin.

The Blues succeeded this season inspite of a lot of injuries. They have some great players, a great coach, and are a great team.

The defending champion multi cup winning Chicago Blackhawks were the prohibitive favourite going into the playoffs, because they have such an experienced skillful core, and continued to add solid players through trades, like Andrew Ladd.

That first series was tough, but the Blues won it in 7, through a ton of hard work. To suggest the Blackhawks weren't very good is the same mistake you are making saying the Blues aren't very good, or Tampa, for that matter. All three of those teams are great teams, and the Blackhawks are a team for the ages.

The Blues weren't just great this season. They've been great for quite awhile. I hope they get another crack at it next year, because the team and it's fans continue to be among the elite teams in the league, and it's really appreciated in the "tank era".

There were no "weak" teams in the playoffs. The only weak teams in the league didn't make the playoffs, and some strong teams didn't make it.

The Chicago Blackhawks series took a lot of energy out of the team. They would have been a lot better in this series if they didn't have to go through the Hawks in the 1st round, which made it tougher for them to close out the 2nd round, and by the 3rd round Hitchcock was trying to manage the games the best he could, knowing his high minutes guys were out of gas.
    Either you don't follow hockey as much as I do or you follow how hard it is for teams to reload, and re compete in the capped era after you've won the cup one year. Last year the Kings were so exhausted after winning the cup that they missed the playoffs. Teams often have a fallback year after winning. NHL season + entire playoffs is just too long to recover from and not enough time off to really be up to speed next season with where rested teams are.

In a capped era most teams lack the kind of depth players they would want to have. So that ends up with typical over reliance on some players to make up the load. The Hawks have experienced that more than anybody and have been struggling with cap for years. The SC win last year was really heroic, and probably their best effort ever, because their player resources are being diminished. So that when a player like Toews is sick, and theres lots of citations to that, you can't just replace a player like that. This is a player of the calibre that STL could only dream about and a sublime leader. The reality is the Hawks will go as far as Toews takes them. toews wasn't 100%. it happens.

look at this season. Its actually an advantage of sorts for a team like SJ to miss the playoffs one year and take a serious run the next. They're fresher, have lots of energy, jump. Healthy team. I do agree the Blues are more tired, but that's also due to taking too long to dispose of Dallas. Remember Dallas had no Seguin. Another player a team severely misses.

Either you don't follow hockey as much as I do or you follow how hard it is for teams to reload, and re compete in the capped era after you've won the cup one year. Last year the Kings were so exhausted after winning the cup that they missed the playoffs. Teams often have a fallback year after winning. NHL season + entire playoffs is just too long to recover from and not enough time off to really be up to speed next season with where rested teams are.

In a capped era most teams lack the kind of depth players they would want to have. So that ends up with typical over reliance on some players to make up the load. The Hawks have experienced that more than anybody and have been struggling with cap for years. The SC win last year was really heroic, and probably their best effort ever, because their player resources are being diminished. So that when a player like Toews is sick, and theres lots of citations to that, you can't just replace a player like that. This is a player of the calibre that STL could only dream about and a sublime leader. The reality is the Hawks will go as far as Toews takes them. toews wasn't 100%. it happens.

look at this season. Its actually an advantage of sorts for a team like SJ to miss the playoffs one year and take a serious run the next. They're fresher, have lots of energy, jump. Healthy team. I do agree the Blues are more tired, but that's also due to taking too long to dispose of Dallas. Remember Dallas had no Seguin. Another player a team severely misses.
    I follow hockey pretty closely, and have for 40+ years.

So I guess because Kane only scored one goal in the playoffs he's lousy now? Keith sucks because he couldn't win against the poor team St Louis was icing? Jeez man.

Lemme see if I got this right - Chicago were weak, so St Louis won. Dallas was weak, and that's why St Louis won. St Louis were weak, and that's why San Jose won. Tampa is over-rated, and weak, despite the fact they are one game away from a repeat appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals (doesn't seem like they had a hard time reloading). Detroit was weak. The Islanders were weak (I guess that means they beat Florida because they are super weak). They only got there because the two teams they played were "a clown show".

I hope SJ win it all. But only one team gets to win it all. Is there anyone you think is any good, outside of San Jose? It should be pretty easy for them, because, by your metric, everybody else sucks.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 26-05-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Yay! for the Pens tonight. Whoda thunk a certain number four by the name of Schultz would be on a Stanley Cup Final team?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

He's probably thinking "Thank you Chia,"

So I guess because Kane only scored one goal in the playoffs he's lousy now? Keith sucks because he couldn't win against the poor team St Louis was icing? Jeez man.

Lemme see if I got this right - Chicago were weak, so St Louis won. Dallas was weak, and that's why St Louis won. St Louis were weak, and that's why San Jose won. Tampa is over-rated, and weak, despite the fact they are one game away from a repeat appearance in the Stanley Cup Finals (doesn't seem like they had a hard time reloading). Detroit was weak. The Islanders were weak (I guess that means they beat Florida because they are super weak). They only got there because the two teams they played were "a clown show".

I hope SJ win it all. But only one team gets to win it all. Is there anyone you think is any good, outside of San Jose? It should be pretty easy for them, because, by your metric, everybody else sucks.
    Man Tampa Outshot and outplayed badly by the Pens in every game of the series including tonight. Amazing the game was even close but only due to goaltending.

I'm glad Pens advanced, makes for a better SC final. I was getting sick of watching Tampas sorry efforts.

iI dunno what to tell you. SJ, Chi, Ana, LA, Pitts, hell even Tampa, have elite players. STL doesn't with exception of Tarasenko but one player in that category is rarely enough. Who else leads STL to glory? Ever? Again STL had only 1 playoff series Win in the last decade prior to this season. That's not just bad luck or not matching up to teams, its not getting it done. Hey at least they made a couples series wins this year. About as far as they'll ever go. That org is in hot water with not a whole lot coming down the pipeline.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Stanley Cup Final series start Mon. Hoping for the beards of San Jose to win the cup

Man Tampa Outshot and outplayed badly by the Pens in every game of the series including tonight. Amazing the game was even close but only due to goaltending.

I'm glad Pens advanced, makes for a better SC final. I was getting sick of watching Tampas sorry efforts.

iI dunno what to tell you. SJ, Chi, Ana, LA, Pitts, hell even Tampa, have elite players. STL doesn't with exception of Tarasenko but one player in that category is rarely enough. Who else leads STL to glory? Ever? Again STL had only 1 playoff series Win in the last decade prior to this season. That's not just bad luck or not matching up to teams, its not getting it done. Hey at least they made a couples series wins this year. About as far as they'll ever go. That org is in hot water with not a whole lot coming down the pipeline.
    Tampa not even close? Are you on drugs or something? Tampa's sorry efforts? Seriously?

Losing by one goal (not counting empty netter) in game seven is pretty much the definition of coming close. The only way it would be closer is if they lost in OT. All without the services of their captain, Stamkos (please don't try to tell us all that Stamkos sucks too), and one of the top goalies in the league, Bishop (who doesn't let in that second Pens goal). If you can't see that it's because you don't want to, preferring instead to stick with the "they suck" narrative.

I'm clearly not the one who is failing to appreciate things here.

Coming from Edmonton, I'm not going to dump on teams, and by extension their fans, that made a good run in the playoffs. We can talk about elite talent all day, but it's team play, and checking, that win series and cups.

St Louis have Pietrangelo and Bowmeester on D - both elite players, despite anything you might have to say. They don't need to prove anything to you, which is good, because I doubt they could. David Backus is a great player, though he was playing injured for the entire playoffs. Alexander Steen could be a candidate for the Selke. And they have elite goaltending in Allen and Elliott.

Nothing "in the pipe"? They have Parayko, 23, and Fabbri, 20, coming up. Tarasenko is 24, and Jaden Schwartz is 23. Joel Edmundson is 22.

Why is it you can't accept that two very good teams go to war and only one comes out on top, rather than dumping teams that came out on the losing end of a hard fought series?

And they have a great coach, and a solid system that's all about team and not about the stars.

They've been a very good team for a long time, and deserve some credit. What can I say? They beat the defending champion Blackhawks, in a series described by Quenneville as equal to a Stanley Cup Finals.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 30-05-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Tampa was outshot and outplayed badly in the series and were completely dominated in multiple games in the series including the deciding game. Only goaltending kept them in it with Vaislevsky being incredible.

Tampa had pathetic efforts in games 2, 3, 6, 7. and didn't deserve to be any of those games. Tampa had a mere 10 shots and only 3EV shots in the first 2 periods of the 7th game. SOG were 29-10Pens after 2 periods. Same script as the 6th game.

Again a pathetic performance from a team that figures its special because they beat the Islanders (10th place) and Flyers (15th place)

Would've been very unfortunate if Tampa had prevailed. Pens played far better in the series and in this playoffs.

ps Stamkos played in game 7. The lightning were missing zero players. Did you even watch the game. Judging from your post you didn't as it was the most oneside 2-1 game you're ever going to see.

Hitchcock a great coach? lol, an opinion shared by hardly anybody in STL. I don't see them as a well run org anymore either. They had their zenith but this is far from it. Not a SC contender type lineup, not even close.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-05-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Tampa was outshot and outplayed badly in the series and were completely dominated in multiple games in the series including the deciding game. Only goaltending kept them in it with Vaislevsky being incredible.

Tampa had pathetic efforts in games 2, 3, 6, 7. and didn't deserve to be any of those games. Tampa had a mere 10 shots and only 3EV shots in the first 2 periods of the 7th game. SOG were 29-10Pens after 2 periods. Same script as the 6th game.

Again a pathetic performance from a team that figures its special because they beat the Islanders (10th place) and Flyers (15th place)

Would've been very unfortunate if Tampa had prevailed. Pens played far better in the series and in this playoffs.

ps Stamkos played in game 7. The lightning were missing zero players. Did you even watch the game. Judging from your post you didn't as it was the most oneside 2-1 game you're ever going to see.

Hitchcock a great coach? lol, an opinion shared by hardly anybody in STL. I don't see them as a well run org anymore either. They had their zenith but this is far from it. Not a SC contender type lineup, not even close.
    We clearly have a different definition of domination.

Tampa. Lost. By. One. Goal. In. Game. Seven.

One game away from repeating in the Stanley Cup Finals, playing without their top 2 players.

We clearly have a different definition as to what qualifies as a good team.

Stamkos hardly played in the final game (the only one he dressed for) and you know it. Missing "zero players"? Ben Bishop is as good a goalie as you're going to find in the league, and they sorely missed his puck handling ability. Sustr wasn't recovered from a broken leg. Johnson was playing hurt. It's a war of attrition.

Ken Hitchcock is one of the best coaches in the game. Anyone who doesn't think so doesn't know the game.

I'm going with the Sharks in 6.

The Pens are in tough without Daley. If the Sharks can force the play in their offensive zone Schultz is in deep.

Tampa was outshot and outplayed in the series by around 2-1. Scoring chances at one point in the final game for instance were 28-11 in favor of Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh by far were the better team in play, and thankfully advanced. Tampa was doing nothing but turtle and collapse to net. Were hardly generating anything.

Tampa, who finished 12 in NHL standings was also gifted two extremely fortunate playoff round opponents. Not because they earned it, because of a whacked NHL bracket format.

Half a dozen teams in the WC would have an easy time knocking off Tampa who have trouble withstanding physical play. Tyler Johnson was -4 in one game getting completely owned.

As per Hitchcock he's a relatively poor playoff coach, which suits STL blues fine.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-05-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Tampa was outshot and outplayed in the series by around 2-1. Scoring chances at one point in the final game for instance were 28-11 in favor of Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh by far were the better team in play, and thankfully advanced. Tampa was doing nothing but turtle and collapse to net. Were hardly generating anything.

Tampa, who finished 12 in NHL standings was also gifted two extremely fortunate playoff round opponents. Not because they earned it, because of a whacked NHL bracket format.

Half a dozen teams in the WC would have an easy time knocking off Tampa who have trouble withstanding physical play. Tyler Johnson was -4 in one game getting completely owned.

As per Hitchcock he's a relatively poor playoff coach, which suits STL blues fine.
    LOST BY ONE GOAL IN GAME SEVEN!!!!!!

Don't you get it? One goal in a game that would have sent them to a repeat in the Finals.

And, frankly, you haven't a clue regarding Hitchcock. Widely respected around the league, and by hockey people.

Never mind.

Don't you get it? One goal in a game that would have sent them to a repeat in the Finals.

And, frankly, you haven't a clue regarding Hitchcock. Widely respected around the league, and by hockey people.

Never mind.
    Don't you get it? It wasn't the Tampa team keeping it close, and they should have been slaughtered on margin of play, it was one player, Vasilevsky. That's it. Doesn't say much for the rest of Tampas lineup that got owned on basis of play.

Hitchcock has been done for a long time and never got much done in the playoffs. Despite coaching allstar clubs almost his whole career, and a Dallas club that should have been dynastic he only has SC win in all those years and with Brett Hull scoring on the most controversial SC final goal ever.

Hitchcock isn't widely respected even in STL.

Never mind.
    Don't you get it? It wasn't the Tampa team keeping it close, and they should have been slaughtered on margin of play, it was one player, Vasilevsky. That's it. Doesn't say much for the rest of Tampas lineup that got owned on basis of play.

Hitchcock has been done for a long time and never got much done in the playoffs. Despite coaching allstar clubs almost his whole career, and a Dallas club that should have been dynastic he only has SC win in all those years and with Brett Hull scoring on the most controversial SC final goal ever.

Vasilevsky plays for Tampa.

Pittsburgh, and Schultz, looking pretty good.

I admit it would be cool to see Schultz win a Cup this year

Let's go not Pitts...although I do like Kessy.
    www.decl.org

Never mind.

Pittsburgh outshot the Lighning by around 100 shots in the series and that being very indicative of the basis of play. Are you really so thick that you understand what that resembled. It resembled tilted ice. in 4 games in the series had 20 more shots a game than the Lightning. That is extreme disparity in SOG. But hey, put a sheet of plexiglass or Vasilevsky with a jersey 4 sizes too large and you're fine. (Practically looked like Lacrosse gear. )

Against a normal goalie (Jones) you see what this kind of shot disparity should result in on the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Let's go not Pitts...although I do like Kessy.
    This is one of the most interesting Cups in a long time, from the story line perspective. There's Thornton and Marleau, who everybody would love to see hoist a Cup. There's the perpetually maligned Kessel.

And, of course, Schultz connection here In Ourtown.

Vlasic is a great defender. He closes on the forwards and takes away their room, and is almost never out of position. Can he do that against the speed of the Pens, who have speed to burn?

Then there's Burns. Sort of the Yang to Vlasic's Yin. Unpredictable.

The Pens can't take penalties, obviously. The Sharks PP is deadly.

Outside of the top lines, we've got a Malkin vs Marleau thing working out. Who is going to play their best?

Couture vs Rust?

East speed vs West heavy checking?

If Schultz is ever stuck out there against Thornton, Jumbo Joe's going to do whatever he wants.

All kinds of fun!
    Last edited by Jimbo; 30-05-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Great game after 2. Sharks were standing around watching in the 1st, but now they're playing.

Nice Marleau!

Burns is such an x-factor. He can gamble, and become a forward, then be back when he needs to be.

I still believe Malkin's not anywhere near 100%. Crosby is playing like Crosby, but Malkin's not playing like Malkin. So far anyway.

Hamelin can fly, and so can Kessel. The Sharks can check you into the dirt. Great hockey!

I really want to see Thornton hoist a Cup. One of my favourite players, since he left the Bruins
    Last edited by Jimbo; 30-05-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Never mind.

Pittsburgh outshot the Lighning by around 100 shots in the series and that being very indicative of the basis of play. Are you really so thick that you understand what that resembled. It resembled tilted ice. in 4 games in the series had 20 more shots a game than the Lightning. That is extreme disparity in SOG. But hey, put a sheet of plexiglass or Vasilevsky with a jersey 4 sizes too large and you're fine. (Practically looked like Lacrosse gear. )

Against a normal goalie (Jones) you see what this kind of shot disparity should result in on the scoreboard.
    I guess there has to be a eunuch at every orgy.

Nick Bonino scores the winner!

The guy can barely walk.

Goaltending really weak in this series but Jones looks to have the edge.

Murray, who is just subpar, is going to cost the Pens yet. SJ didn't have much going in this one and yet had the game tied with chances to win. Despite Pittsburgh again having a vast territorial edge in play.

The trouble for Pittsburgh is they're not going to be able to outshoot the Sharks by 15-20 shots every night to overcome mediocre goaltending.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Gonna be a heck of a series.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Gonna be a heck of a series.
    It'll be defined on a series of flurries and offensive pushes. Both clubs are better at pursuing the game than hanging back. But of the two the Sharks can play the latter game better. Pens start to look vulnerable without puck in own end.

I guess it's not just me that has a lot of respect for Ken Hitchcock, a great coach if there ever was one.

He re-signed with the Blues. He only signs one-year deals, and this will be his last.

It would be nice to see him get some recognition here, where it all started, as per Terry Jones.

"Hitch needs 26 more wins to catch Al Arbour in third place on the NHL all-time win list and GM Doug Armstrong points out his 64-year-old Blues coach has rattled off two wins in every three games since he was hired on in St. Louis."

I don't know what a guy has to do to get some respect from some corners around here.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 05-06-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Default Justin Schultz Doesn’t Deserve Backlash

Fanpost on Schultz:

However, with such a short time with Pittsburgh, his play has improved, and he has not been given as many minutes. During 18 regular season games after the trade to Pittsburgh, Schultz put up a goal and seven assists and was a plus-7. His Corsi even went up to 50.1. Even though these aren’t a ton of games, it’s a good do-over for Schultz.

In the playoffs, he has contributed three helpers and has been trusted for the Pittsburgh on the third-pairing. He is a plus-4 and averages around 13 minutes a night. With the Penguins, he is not expected to be a Norris-worthy defender and is being developed over again properly. Fans should be excited for him, not angry.
    https://oilonwhyte.com/2016/06/01/ed...erve-backlash/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oilers have a recent history of screwing up the young players coming in. Putting them on a pedestal and giving them millions right off the bat and expecting too much of them I believe has been harmful. Will be nice to see Schultzy hoist the Stanley Cup should the Pens win.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

From the games I've watched Shultz is shooting the puck more and had a couple of near missis as well. Should be a good game tonight.

CHED is carrying the Penguins broadcast of the SCF. Mike Lange is a great play by play announcer. I wonder if they'll switch to the Sharks announcers when the series moves.

SJ really needed that one.

It was a good game, though marred by bad ice.

Still, the ice wasn't as bad as when the Finals were in LA. I was getting to the point I wondered whether bad ice was part of their strategy.

SJ are a really good checking team, but they don't play the boring LA style. Still lots of exciting play, even in overtime. A fun game to watch.

I thought Schultz was very good, except when he was turnstiled on a play to the net.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ My take-a-way game #3 experience lines up with yours.

That Shark pp to tie the game into ot with seconds to spare was the decisive moment in the game imo. Pens defensive play was amazing. I lost track how many times their speed stripped puck possession away from the Sharks.

Donskoi's ot goal put the Sharks back in the series. If they can win again on home ice tomorrow night, its a whole new series. If Pittsburgh wins, the Pens imo will win the series in 5 games.

If Shultz gets to hoist Stanley good on him. Your right it was a good game.

Easily SJ's best game so far, but I still thought Pittsburgh was the better team overall. I think if SJ can score first, and maybe even get up by two, they can be pretty effective at shutting teams down.

I'm still amazed at the way Thornton passes. It's like he hardly moves his arms, but he always seems to get just the right weight on it. Just a flick, and it's right on someone's stick.

Nice to see Malkin starting to feel it. He's clearly dealing with an injury, and has been throughout the playoffs. If he gets going, look out. 3 scoring lines and a D that can get them the puck.

SJ still struggling with the HBK line's speed.

Malkin feeling' it for sure now. SJ in big trouble.

SJ's game really gets going when they have a lead, but they haven't played with the lead at any point so far. They just can't match Pittsburgh's speed game, especially with the better ice this game.

SJ finally hitting. Need a lot more.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-06-2016 at 07:38 PM.

She's a gooder tonight.
    www.decl.org

SJ need a complete reset in Pittsburgh on Wednesday. They should know better than anyone that a team can come back, because i's happened to them.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ya three in a row against Pittsburg seems like an impossible dream right now. Crosbys been playing his best in years and now Malkin is coming on. Then there's Kessel. The whole team seems to be geared up for the cup while San Jose is running out of gas. But.....you never know.

C2E SME

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins for winning the Stanley Cup.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Congratulations to Oilers castoff Justin Schultz for winning the Stanley Cup.
    Congratulations to Leafs castoff Phil Kessel for winning the Stanley Cup.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Loved seeing Kessel raising that up.
    www.decl.org

Great post season, and the best team won!

Nice to see Kessel too. And Schultz.

Where did Conor Sheary come from? And Murray? Wow!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Would have been nice if they could have won it at home. Finally over. The wife will be happy. ( it's never over, draft then some trades, then training camp at new arena. Can hardly wait)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm happy Justin Shultz got his name on the Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Randy Carlyle is returning as head coach to Anaheim.
    Was hoping he would end up with Burke in Calgary, but going to another division rival is just fine as well. The downgrade from Boudreau to Carlyle is going to be staggering.

Actually I posted that in the wrong thread - let me move it to the correct one. This thread should be closed.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12