Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,700 of 2742

Thread: Liberals And Trudeau - Performance Review!

So, we never criticize the actions of another nation? Or do we do it in private but never take a public action because that would also be seen as meddling? I would assume that any peacekeeping or NATO missions would also be meddling.

I'd rather C2E than work!

https://globalnews.ca/news/4374908/d...a-energy-east/

Good idea, cut ties with Saudi, if they are so despicable!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Meddling is meddling.
    Agree!

You don't shame a country like Saudi in a tweet, they are unpredictable at best. Maybe many countries should shame Canada, our FN still don't have water to drink!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^How does calling for the release of peaceful human rights defenders who are family members of a Canadian citizen constitute shaming a country?

Were Canada to begin jailing people for peacefully expressing their political opinions, I would certainly hope other countries would come to their defense and call for their release.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Energy East has nothing to do with Saudi Arabia. It's an export pipeline. None of the refineries in the east can process bitumen. That's the reason that there was so much opposition to it. The provinces were expected handle the risk of spills with none of the benefits of the products within. Now, if Alberta would actually be exporting something that can be used here, there'd be a reason to support it.

BTW, Energy East was part of the NEP but it got killed when the program was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Energy East has nothing to do with Saudi Arabia. It's an export pipeline. None of the refineries in the east can process bitumen. That's the reason that there was so much opposition to it. The provinces were expected handle the risk of spills with none of the benefits of the products within. Now, if Alberta would actually be exporting something that can be used here, there'd be a reason to support it.

BTW, Energy East was part of the NEP but it got killed when the program was killed.
    I know what EE is, and I know Quebec doesn't want it, but they'll take Saudi oil!

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^How does calling for the release of peaceful human rights defenders who are family members of a Canadian citizen constitute shaming a country?

Were Canada to begin jailing people for peacefully expressing their political opinions, I would certainly hope other countries would come to their defense and call for their release.
    You had better ask Saudi that question, they are the ones that retaliated, and again, not one country backed Canada.,perhaps they were being diplomatic..

perhaps look at the money trail. It really doesn't have anything to do with being diplomatic. Those countries should very well back Canada. Hypocrites.

Canada means very little on the world stage, JT should know that.
    We should be getting tweets about first nation's who still don't have safe drinking water!

You're never one to conflate issues!!

^^^^H.L., why would I ask the Saudis? You are the one making the claim that Canada had shamed the Saudis.

^^^^H.L., why would I ask the Saudis? You are the one making the claim that Canada had shamed the Saudis.
    I'm not the only one claiming that, and if they haven't been shamed via twitter, why are they doing what they are?

Calls for the UK to back Canada.

The Guardian view on Saudi Arabia: time to back Canada

Riyadh is sending a message to others, and while these measures are harsh, they are not entirely unprecedented: German businesses have reportedly paid for Berlin’s criticism of Riyadh’s role in Lebanese politics last year. It is in European countries’ own interests to stand together and tell the crown prince that such actions are not cost-free for Saudi Arabia. Like his anti-corruption coup, they are unlikely to reassure potential partners; and his mission to modernise the kingdom will require foreign support.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...to-back-canada
    And the US

Trump criticized from right and left for not standing with Canada on Saudi Arabia
    'We have a president who time and time again seems to be more comfortable with authoritarian-type governments than with democracies'

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A former top aide to a Republican president and a left-wing senator have both blasted the White House for its response to the feud between Canada and Saudi Arabia, calling it weak and evidence of President Donald Trump’s affinity for autocrats.

In an article earlier this week, Elliott Abrams, who was deputy national-security advisor to George W. Bush, said the Saudis’ aggressive response to human-rights criticism from Canada was “an unforced error,” and the lack of U.S. back-up for the Canadians indefensible.

From the other side of the political spectrum, Sen. Bernie Sanders told the National Post Trump himself should have defended Canada and echoed its criticism of the Saudis.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/wor..._autoplay=true
    H.L. claims to be opposed to the mistreatment of women but has no problem taking the Saudi side as long as there's money to be made.

Saudi air raid attacks a bus load of children....this is the kind of people the Saudis are. Canada can’t do a half assed job of this, they started this trade war with a simple tweet and look where it’s gone. Afraid of ruffling feathers?...too late, should be all or nothing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45128367

The Saudis have been doing crap like this for years and Trump as embraced them. When Trudeau spoke of taking a second look at the LAV deal, Conservatives freaked out with the "Jobs!" cry. Now that The Donald has basically given the Carte Blanche to do as they please, they're taking full advantage.

Just like Trump, they don't respond well to criticism.

Apparently, Trump's comments during the campaign are nowhere near as bad as calling for peaceful, political prisoners to be released. At least as long as you then provide them with billions in weapons and turn a blind eye to the things you called them out on.

President Trump Is Headed to Saudi Arabia. He Once Said It Wants 'Women as Slaves and to Kill Gays'

During a presidential debate Trump also said Saudis were “people that push gays off buildings” and “kill women and treat women horribly,” according to the Washington Post. He has also claimed the Saudi government had ties to the September 11, 2001 terror attacks.

But Trump has moderated his tone since he became President. He met Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in March and has spoken to King Salman on the phone. And he will arrive in Saudi Arabia with a gift to cement the friendship — a massive package of weapons deals.

“I don’t think the Saudis are alarmed by the way Trump is behaving or his past remarks,” Toby Craig Jones, a historian at Rutgers closely studying Saudi Arabia, told TIME’s Jared Malsin. “I think they see this as an opportunity to roll back the clock a little bit. I think they see him as a moldable character.”

http://time.com/4785714/donald-trump-saudi-arabia/
    I'm surprised H.L. isn't calling for us to provide even more weapons for the same reason.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 10-08-2018 at 10:09 AM.

JT doesn't want to lose 3000 votes! Or Jobs!The GAC Tweet didn't cause SA to bomb Yemen BUT for our government to call out the SA government for human rights infractions is the height of hypocrisy. We are complicit in every single death in Yemen because we continue to manufacture military supplies for SA., under the very government that tweeted!

Social justice issues in SA didn't just happen overnight. When government ministries resort to name calling via Twitter they are hitting a new low. I thought our taxes paid big salaries to well-educated and intelligent civil servants who could advise our elected leaders. Seems not.

can you identify what name calling happened via twitter? Because I don't see any name calling. And it's funny that your all-okay with what trump does over twitter, but this is some how unacceptable? Speaking of being a hypocrite. Look, that's you, however, I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise!

Meanwhile, the Saudi attacks on Canada are straight out of the Twilight Zone, claiming that Jordan Peterson, who is walking about freely and has not been arrested or imprisoned, is actually a prisoner of conscience.

'Canada is the world's worst oppressor of women': Saudi Arabia's bizarre propaganda campaign
    A Saudi-owned TV channel claims that University of Toronto professor Jordan Peterson is a Canadian prisoner of conscience

Of all the ways to dig up dirt on Canada, Saudi sources are inexplicably fixating on our treatment of women. Kuwaiti commentator Fahad Alshlimi claimed on Saudi TV this week that Canada has one of the world’s highest rates of oppression against women. “What about the mystery of 1000 murdered women in Canada?!” wrote one widely followed Riyadh-based Twitter account. Saudi social media accounts were Statistics Canada report on violence against women, calling it Canada’s “shame.” However, a deeper dive into that report would have revealed that it spends a lot of its time cataloguing things that Saudi Arabia does not even consider to be crimes. Domestic violence and spousal rape are not criminalized in Saudi Arabia, and Saudi women can be lashed for adultery if they are raped. Ironically, Saudi condemnations of Canada as a sexist backwater are happening simultaneously with Saudi criticism of Canadian foreign affairs minister Chrystia Freeland. Of course, female cabinet ministers like Freeland do not exist in Saudi Arabia. Unlike Saudi women, she is also legally allowed to make employment and travel decisions without the permission of a male guardian.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada..._autoplay=true

You sure about that ?

From what Top_Dawg knows Irving was balls deep into building an upgrader next to their existing refinery in Staint John to process oil sands bitumen.

So even more good jobs.

It's only Quebec and Trudeau that were opposed bnecause they didn't want to see everybody except them profit from it.

Nope, no upgrader underway. They're considering it but it would make more sense to build it in Alberta and then pipe the light oil East so that all the refineries could use it. Why build multiple upgraders when one here can supply the others? And it would still be primarily with an eye towards export.

Irving Oil studying expansion options post-Energy East

The primary idea floated previously by industry observers including Frank McKenna, the Toronto-Dominion Bank deputy chairman and former New Brunswick premier, is building an upgrader in Saint John near Irving Oil's existing refinery. The unit would process heavy oil-sands bitumen into light, synthetic crude, given the higher demand lighter grades from refinery customers across the Atlantic.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle29636535/

Well, yeah that's Top_Dawg's point.

They're not building an upgrader now that there's no pipeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    can you identify what name calling happened via twitter? Because I don't see any name calling. And it's funny that your all-okay with what trump does over twitter, but this is some how unacceptable? Speaking of being a hypocrite. Look, that's you, however, I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise!

You only see it when Trump is tweeting his idiotic tweets, you dont see it with JT( socks) does the same-pity

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Because it's a dumb place for an upgrader. You ship the bitumen and dilutent all the way to the east cost, effectively reducing the capacity of the pipe since you're also shipping a lot of stuff that won't actually get on the tankers.

Upgrade here, ship the light oil east and let the refineries along the way tap into it. But that makes too much sense for Alberta and the oil companies because they'd rather sell the lowest possible grade of oil. It's like clear cutting your forests and shipping the raw logs overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Because it's a dumb place for an upgrader. You ship the bitumen and dilutent all the way to the east cost, effectively reducing the capacity of the pipe since you're also shipping a lot of stuff that won't actually get on the tankers.

Upgrade here, ship the light oil east and let the refineries along the way tap into it. But that makes too much sense for Alberta and the oil companies because they'd rather sell the lowest possible grade of oil. It's like clear cutting your forests and shipping the raw logs overseas.

C2E Continued Contributor

You only see it when Trump is tweeting his idiotic tweets, you dont see it with JT( socks) does the same-pity
    Again, you know that it wasn't JTs tweet that started this right? In fact, JT has yet to tweet about this issue. Here is the tweet that started this so you can at least be semi-informed on this issue.

Aside: Have you ever looked even at Trudeaus twitter? It's literally just announcements, congratulations, and PR about the events he's attended. He doesn't have any idiotic tweets because he doesn't use Twitter as his personal lie and propaganda machine.

OMG! That's so outrageous! How could any civilized society support a tweet like that? We should totally be supporting SA's locking up of people peacefully calling for equal rights for women and the ability to peacefully express political dissent. </snark>

"Stop saying that we're jailing people for political reasons or we'll jail your family for political reasons."

Activist says Saudi police threatened his family after he tweeted about diplomatic row with Canada

"A Saudi Arabian man living in Canada says he won't stop speaking out about the diplomatic row between the two countries, even though Saudi police have allegedly threatened his family.

Omar Abdulaziz, a student and political activist, told The Current that Saudi forces entered his brother's home and "asked him to convince me [to] stop tweeting about what's really going on between Canada and Saudi Arabia, or they're going to send him to jail." Sources back at home have assured him his family is safe, but he has not yet been able to get in contact with his brother or friends, he said."

---

He said that Saudi Arabia's motivation for picking a fight with Canada is very simple: "if you want to do business with Saudi Arabia ... you have to shut up about human rights, especially on social media."

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/a...nada-1.4778820

And the people on here who are calling this meddling are being hilariously hypocritical on this issue, considering a good portion support the leader down south, who is constantly criticising other countries and their leaders on twitter.

Only the ones with better human rights records than Trumplstiltkins best buddies, Russia, North Korea and Saudi Arabia.

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    And the people on here who are calling this meddling are being hilariously hypocritical on this issue, considering a good portion support the leader down south, who is constantly criticising other countries and their leaders on twitter.
    I don't support Trump, so I can say his tweets are wrong, and so are JTs.!

The posters with DTS that posts about Trumps tweets, but think JTs are okay, they have a problem

Again, you know that it wasn't JTs tweet that started this right? In fact, JT has yet to tweet about this issue. Here is the tweet that started this so you can at least be semi-informed on this issue.

Aside: Have you ever looked even at Trudeaus twitter? It's literally just announcements, congratulations, and PR about the events he's attended. He doesn't have any idiotic tweets because he doesn't use Twitter as his personal lie and propaganda machine.

I was talking about his tweet regarding Saudi, that's why we have this thread! It was also tweeted in Arabic, you missed that!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sau...norm-1.4780203

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...udi-aggression

It's all about JT and Quebec..sticking up for JT is stupid, when he cares very little what you think, and everything about Quebec!

I think Canada should be against state sponsored terrorism, flagrant human rights abuses. Why should any of our money go to that regime.
    It be great if USA felt the same however their desire for arms sales and not buying Canada's so call dirty oil has motivated them into all sorts of deals with the devil.
    As for water on Indian reserves, the federal government provides billions in funding but most gets wasted by corrupt chiefs and councils and little goes to where it should. Unfortunately Trudeau stopped the requirements of bands to report where federal money was being spent.
    https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...at-end-of-2015

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I think Canada should be against state sponsored terrorism, flagrant human rights abuses. Why should any of our money go to that regime.
    It be great if USA felt the same however their desire for arms sales and not buying Canada's so call dirty oil has motivated them into all sorts of deals with the devil.
    As for water on Indian reserves, the federal government provides billions in funding but most gets wasted by corrupt chiefs and councils and little goes to where it should. Unfortunately Trudeau stopped the requirements of bands to report where federal money was being spent.
    Yup, he stopped all accountability for the crooked chiefs, another dumb move( for votes)

If he is so aghast re human rights, why are we taking Saudi oil, and providing them with Lavs? ..

I was talking about his tweet regarding Saudi, that's why we have this thread! It was also tweeted in Arabic, you missed that!
    Link to this tweet? Stop spreading misinformation. It was the foreign policy tweet that started this, and again, Justin Trudeau has personally yet to send out a tweet on this matter. You can go through his twitter if you don't believe me. I have tried finding screenshots of this tweet you keep talking about, but there's absolutely nothing.

Hello Lady, are you saying that Trudeau tweets in Arabic?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Hello Lady is talking of of his *** again

Link to this tweet? Stop spreading misinformation. It was the foreign policy tweet that started this, and again, Justin Trudeau has personally yet to send out a tweet on this matter. You can go through his twitter if you don't believe me. I have tried finding screenshots of this tweet you keep talking about, but there's absolutely nothing.
    Oh stop it, for gods sake. This is a silly liittle forum,not huffpo. I saw on my screen, a tweet from CF in English and French,.she had to send two the dumb cow. Later I saw one in Arabic, and thought she had sent that!!!!!!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/CanEmbSA/...49114088333313

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    He can't speak English or French , so we can hardly expect Arabic from Ramadan socks.And it's HL, you *****!
    Last edited by H.L.; 11-08-2018 at 03:14 PM.

What happened, did the Trump thread get boring? Rofl.

He can't speak English or French , so we can hardly expect Arabic from Ramadan socks.And it's HL, you *****!
    Are you nuts? He is fully fluent and articulate in both English and French.

I guess when you have lost an argument all you can do is try to assassinate Trudeau's character by lying and accusing him of things he obviously did not do and call him socks and tater tot. You use the same childish and bullying techniques of Trump.

Hello Lady, have you graduated from the kindergarden sandbox yet?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I guess when you have lost an argument all you can do is try to assassinate Trudeau's character by lying and accusing him of things he obviously did not do and call him socks and tater tot. You use the same childish and bullying techniques of Trump.

Actually his French is not very good, and if you think people that speak french don't know that, again you are wrong He umms and errs through every sentence in English, so I consider it poor, and guess what, I can do that.

Oh, and I can also call JT socks, Trudope, Trudy, groper, anything I want, because as much as you dislike Trump, I loathe this girly man! I'm not on here to win any argument, that's you, still in your sandbox..with the poor cats that need a home..LOL

What happened, did the Trump thread get boring? Rofl.

Yup, he stopped all accountability for the crooked chiefs, another dumb move( for votes)

If he is so aghast re human rights, why are we taking Saudi oil, and providing them with Lavs? ..
    Did you even read this article?

Moreover, the Post has learned that the drop in the compliance rate to 85 per cent this year from 92 per cent in Harper’s last year may be the fault of the federal government itself which, in some instances at least, may have failed to live up to its obligations under the First Nations Financial Transparency Act (FNFTA).

Do you know what that means? I’ll give you a hint it does not mean “ALL”
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

HL seems triggered that hes been rightfully called out bold

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post

Did you even read this article?

Moreover, the Post has learned that the drop in the compliance rate to 85 per cent this year from 92 per cent in Harper’s last year may be the fault of the federal government itself which, in some instances at least, may have failed to live up to its obligations under the First Nations Financial Transparency Act (FNFTA).

Do you know what that means? I’ll give you a hint it does not mean “ALL”
    Calm yourself. Thanks for the hint.

Default View from abroad

The BBC’s take on the tweet. https://youtu.be/tbZlWugqZHk
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

No thanks. While I love the brits, it really doesn't interest me anymore.

Remember, deep cleansing breaths...

Actually his French is not very good, and if you think people that speak french don't know that, again you are wrong He umms and errs through every sentence in English, so I consider it poor, and guess what, I can do that.

Oh, and I can also call JT socks, Trudope, Trudy, groper, anything I want, because as much as you dislike Trump, I loathe this girly man! I'm not on here to win any argument, that's you, still in your sandbox..with the poor cats that need a home..LOL

Hello Lady, my wife thinks you are an idio*. She is totally bilingual, born and raised in Montreal. She says that is French is perfect and he is very articulate. And obviously his English is perfect too.

You mistake his pauses and umms as some sort of ignorance when it is actually a sign of character and thoughtfulness and he expresses and measures the importance of his message as the leader of our Nation. Very unlike your hero Trump who blurts out thousands of lies, misrepresentations and verbal attacks upon anyone and everyone.

Your hypocrisy is noted by all, as you foolishly try to assassinate the character of JT when you have no character or morals of your own.

That link is a year old.

That link is a year old.
    Sorry about that chief try this one. https://youtu.be/pCypYMZX6H0

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Hello Lady, my wife thinks you are an idio*. She is totally bilingual, born and raised in Montreal. She says that is French is perfect and he is very articulate. And obviously his English is perfect too.

You mistake his pauses and umms as some sort of ignorance when it is actually a sign of character and thoughtfulness and he expresses and measures the importance of his message as the leader of our Nation. Very unlike your hero Trump who blurts out thousands of lies, misrepresentations and verbal attacks upon anyone and everyone.

Your hypocrisy is noted by all, as you foolishly try to assassinate the character of JT when you have no character or morals of your own.
    Trudeau doesn't always speak from a teleprompter.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Let's see H.L. lying hero who cannot explain anything coherently without a teleprompter and even then goes off script with bafflegab, lies and contradicts his own speech writers. Such a stable genius.

Compare that with Trudeau with an unprepared response to a reporter's question...

Here is how Trump would explain quantum phyics

"Quandumb phyisiks is another of Obama's failed policies and pushed by crooked Hillary just because they can't stand that I had the largest election win since President Stonewall Jackson. I really won that great, yes great, remember those crowds at my inauguration? They were YUGE and the lying fake news never even covered it! Do you know why the people on the left call it quandumb phyisiks? It is because its dumb, like really dump, triple dumb, that why they call it quand, like 3, quandumb. You know that, everybody knows that. I figured it out myself. Great crowd out there except for all these reporters down in front. They never report on the truth. All they say is fake news, people! They are the enemies of the people! We are going to drain the swamp of these fake climate change scientists and I have the perfect person I am going to put in charge of the department. My friend, O.J. Simpson. You know he's black, right? He also has the most successful cartoon show on television that he, you know he's famous right, he used to play basketball. We all know him from basketball right. We should have him play Obama one day. Wouldn't that be great, O.J. playing Obama. Muslim's can't jump, you know that right?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 12-08-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post

Trudeau doesn't always speak from a teleprompter.
    Neither did PM Harper. He managed to sound very good. JT,not so much.lol

I think your wife is an idio* for marrying you. I think you get personal when you don't know what else to say, so I'll go along with it for this post.
    JT is a pot smoking, lightweight , who got in because of his name. Not everyone was taken in by the lying groper, maybe you're more like him than not. Dinks, anyone?

https://globalnews.ca/news/4320799/f...e-change-cost/

Cushions, champagne glasses, this government is out of control with its spending.smh.
    Vets ask for too much.

I love how you deflect and try to change the subject when you statements prove to be completely without basis in facts.

Trudeau is fluent in both official languages and can get through a speech without cutting anyone down. Unlike your Orange Messiah.

Cushions, champagne glasses, this government is out of control with its spending.smh.
    Vets ask for too much.
    Yes. And that’s been said if every government under every party. They all reorganizate something or other into a new department that in the end does the very same thing (often no better) and in doing so trigger hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in costs for payroll changes, changing signs, door plaques, letterheads, websites, etc.

HL, you not being a news organization is not an excuse to spread false information.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Vets ask for too much.
    Yes. And that’s been said if every government under every party. They all reorganizate something or other into a new department that in the end does the very same thing (often no better) and in doing so trigger hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in costs for payroll changes, changing signs, door plaques, letterheads, websites, etc.
    "reorganizate"? Must be a Trumpism, that.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As a Conservative, I like how Trudeau and his team are handling Nafta. Trudeau is trying to be etheical in the SA thing as well.

As a Conservative I am actually surprised that Trudeau turned out to be better than I expected. That said, the whole India trip was an embarrassing disaster.

His government is being responsible and sticking to principles rather than cow towing to Trump and his bullying tactics. Same with Saudi Arabia.

Harper was a control freak and too much power in the PMO.

I spent a week with people in Michigan and they are envious of Canadians and embarrassed by Trump.

Say what you will, we are 1,000 times better off than Americans. Lots of destitute people in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Vets ask for too much.
    "reorganizate"? Must be a Trumpism, that.
    LOL.

I love how you deflect and try to change the subject when you statements prove to be completely without basis in facts.

Trudeau is fluent in both official languages and can get through a speech without cutting anyone down. Unlike your Orange Messiah.
    You have to bring up Trump, to stick up for JT, hilarious!..rofl!

HL, you not being a news organization is not an excuse to spread false information.
    It wasn't false, it was translated into Arabic, grab a bloody clue!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

As a Conservative I am actually surprised that Trudeau turned out to be better than I expected. That said, the whole India trip was an embarrassing disaster.

His government is being responsible and sticking to principles rather than cow towing to Trump and his bullying tactics. Same with Saudi Arabia.

I spent a week with people in Michigan and they are envious of Canadians and embarrassed by Trump.

Say what you will, we are 1,000 times better off than Americans. Lots of destitute people in Michigan.
    Ohio barely won an election last week. Isn't there still a recount going on? This could hint that Trump in 2020 could be faced with a minority government. A lame duck to be sure.

Thanks to what could be going on with Nafta border states between the US/Canada are especially nervous with what a pull out of Nafta could mean to Trumps campaign in 2020. The election in Ohio could be just the tip of the iceberg.

If the incumbent gets reelected in 2020, I'd be very surprised. Hilary is not done yet my friends.

Hopefully they have someone better than Hillary running .

Need a leader who can make real change. Get rid of the swamp, the lobbyists and the SuperPacs. Get businesses out of government and return it to a Peoples' Republic.

About the only thing "wrong" with Clinton was the fact that the GOP had spend the past 30 years sliming her. She ended up with a lot of made up baggage to haul. And she still got more votes than Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post

Ohio barely won an election last week. Isn't there still a recount going on? This could hint that Trump in 2020 could be faced with a minority government. A lame duck to be sure.

Thanks to what could be going on with Nafta border states between the US/Canada are especially nervous with what a pull out of Nafta could mean to Trumps campaign in 2020. The election in Ohio could be just the tip of the iceberg.

If the incumbent gets reelected in 2020, I'd be very surprised. Hilary is not done yet my friends.
    I''m hoping Trudeau gets less( a minority government would be great) , and btw this is his thread, not Trumps!

It's the Conservatives that want to put people into little, identifiable groups. And why do they do that? To turn one against the other. It's a dog whistle to the folks who think Canada shouldn't have more broen people because they're "not really Canadian".

'More diversity' will 'destroy' what makes Canada great: Conservative MP Bernier

"OTTAWA – Outspoken Conservative MP and failed leadership contender Maxime Bernier is accusing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of fostering a "cult of diversity" that he believes will destroy the country.

In a six-tweet thread posted Sunday evening, the Quebec MP says that more diversity will "divide us into little tribes" and bring "distrust, social conflict, and potentially violence."

He described this as "cultural balkanization." Balkanization refers to the geopolitical splitting apart of a state into smaller regions with tension between them."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/more...nier-1.4050494

C2E SME

I guess that Bernier figured out that getting rid of supply management and other libertarian causes aren't quite the political hot sellers he was hoping for, so now he's going to go with culture wars. Sadly, it'll play well in rural Quebec (his riding is literally 99.3% white), but I can't help but think the wider Conservative party is going to get fed up with his shenanigans sooner than later because that's not going to play well at all in suburban Toronto or Vancouver, which is where they need to make up seats to win an election.

The guy has such bad political instincts, it's amazing he's still in politics.

It's a dog whistle to the folks who think Canada shouldn't have more broen people because they're "not really Canadian".
    "Diversity" is simply a leftist dog whistle for "non-white, non-male"

It's every bit as prejudiced as what you claim.

Bernier has long prided himself as a economic libertarian, arguably losing the federal Conservative leadership because he refused to water down these principles.

Had no idea Bernier also harbours the nativist and xenophobic views expressed in this series of tweets. The federal Cons dodged a bullet when this guy fell short of winning their leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I guess that Bernier figured out that getting rid of supply management and other libertarian causes aren't quite the political hot sellers he was hoping for, so now he's going to go with culture wars. Sadly, it'll play well in rural Quebec (his riding is literally 99.3% white), but I can't help but think the wider Conservative party is going to get fed up with his shenanigans sooner than later because that's not going to play well at all in suburban Toronto or Vancouver, which is where they need to make up seats to win an election.

The guy has such bad political instincts, it's amazing he's still in politics.
    I think he often has bad political instincts too, but in this case I think there is a method to his madness. He is playing to the base and right on the line. If Scheer comes down hard on him or repudiates this, a lot of people in the party will resent Scheer. If Scheer does not, it may hurt Conservative support in suburban multicultural areas.

I think Bernier's strategy here is to hurt the chances of Scheer winning the next election, so he can get another shot at the top job.

Poor political instincts for sure, but I'm not sure there's anything there that exposes a nativist or xenophobe.

I can empathize with having concerns about celebrating and encouraging diversity....not diversity in that there are new minorities or that they grow in numbers, but more diversity in that it's our differences that are celebrated and emphasized.

For a diverse population to thrive together we really do need to emphasize our similarities, not our differences. NOT like the Balkans where tribal religious differences has meant genocidal atrocities more than once. Not like Rwanda where a socio-economic signifier calcified into fixed tribes that hated one another.

I don't know what the right word would be for a ethos that encourages people to understand differences and empathize with eachother despite differences rather than merely celebrating that the differences are there, but it's certainly not 'diversity'.

Diversity in itself isn't a good thing. Diversity is not strength. It's just a thing.

UNITY in diversity is strength, and that unity is often missing in Trudeau's proclamations.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 13-08-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II
    Poor political instincts for sure, but I'm not sure there's anything there that exposes a racist or xenophobe.

No one used the word "racist", and only one poster (not I) used xenophobic. You may want to be more specific in your response if you're going to use such loaded terms, especially if they've barely been used.

Otherwise I mostly agree with the rest of your post.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 13-08-2018 at 03:26 PM.

^^I apologize. I've now edited to nativist, not racist as that was what I was most directly responding to. Comments here on C2E have been reasoned.

I have seen responses on twitter that did accuse Bernier of essentially coming out as racist via those tweets
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

No surprise there. I'm quite content staying off that platform!

Nativists may not be racist or xenophobic, but I think there's no denying whatever that racism and xenophobia are the logical limit of nativism; that political nativism includes, rallies, and makes legitimate the voices of actual bigots who respond to it; and that in the end nativism always leads to greater or lesser violence.

Canada has been no exception, although the violence here has been almost entirely on the scale of individuals acting against individuals. To deny that nativism is the cause and instead to affirm that excessive diversity leads to violence -- is to blame the victims.

For these reasons, political nativism is simply not to be borne.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    Poor political instincts for sure, but I'm not sure there's anything there that exposes a nativist or xenophobe.

I can empathize with having concerns about celebrating and encouraging diversity....not diversity in that there are new minorities or that they grow in numbers, but more diversity in that it's our differences that are celebrated and emphasized.

For a diverse population to thrive together we really do need to emphasize our similarities, not our differences. NOT like the Balkans where tribal religious differences has meant genocidal atrocities more than once. Not like Rwanda where a socio-economic signifier calcified into fixed tribes that hated one another.

I don't know what the right word would be for a ethos that encourages people to understand differences and empathize with eachother despite differences rather than merely celebrating that the differences are there, but it's certainly not 'diversity'.

Diversity in itself isn't a good thing. Diversity is not strength. It's just a thing.

UNITY in diversity is strength, and that unity is often missing in Trudeau's proclamations.
    “Diversity in itself isn't a good thing. Diversity is not strength. It's just a thing.”

Same for similarity.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    Nativists may not be racist or xenophobic, but I think there's no denying whatever that racism and xenophobia are the logical limit of nativism; that political nativism includes, rallies, and makes legitimate the voices of actual bigots who respond to it; and that in the end nativism always leads to greater or lesser violence.

Canada has been no exception, although the violence here has been almost entirely on the scale of individuals acting against individuals. To deny that nativism is the cause and instead to affirm that excessive diversity leads to violence -- is to blame the victims.

For these reasons, political nativism is simply not to be borne.
    People putting fences around their property and locks on their doors may not be racists thinking themselves superior to their neighbours and outsiders but rather people just trying to keep what they have, the way they have it. Nonetheless I guess any preference for the familiar by definition means one feels one’s own familiar culture is superior and so is unavoidably racist. Still it may be motivated by a desire to retain one’s assets (greed) - or just plain old survival (keeping the traditional hunting grounds, keeping out competing labour, etc. ). Every culture seems to arbitrarily choose to embrace differences they like and fight against differences they dislike.
    Last edited by KC; 13-08-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Meddling is meddling.
    It’s important to represent and push democracy as a system of govt around the world. If we don’t the systems of Russia, China and the like will continue to push theirs. Canada did the right thing, something we have done countless times before and something we are respected for....

What I found shocking was seeing John Baird on Saudi state tv saying we should fly over there and apologize in person especially after he and Harper heavily criticized others. What was more shocking was he now works representing a company with HEAVY investment in Saudi territory. When questioned by Canadian media he refused comment. I’m floored.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post

You made reasoned arguments. In his tweets, Bernier used inflammatory language and loaded terms like extreme multiculturalism, cult of diversity, cultural balkanization and dividing into little tribes.

In response to Bernier's statement about the need to draw the line on diversity, it's no coincidence that the six most racially and ethnically diverse communities in Canada (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal and Ottawa) are also Canada's most economically vibrant communities.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Meddling is meddling.
    It’s important to represent and push democracy as a system of govt around the world. If we don’t the systems of Russia, China and the like will continue to push theirs. Canada did the right thing, something we have done countless times before and something we are respected for....

What I found shocking was seeing John Baird on Saudi state tv saying we should fly over there and apologize in person especially after he and Harper heavily criticized others. What was more shocking was he now works representing a company with HEAVY investment in Saudi territory. When questioned by Canadian media he refused comment. I’m floored.
    What does Canada push though through official policy? Majority rule through democracy, minority rights protections within democracies, human rights (as defined by who)?

You made reasoned arguments. In his tweets, Bernier used inflammatory language and loaded terms like extreme multiculturalism, cult of diversity, cultural balkanization and dividing into little tribes.

In response to Bernier's statement about the need to draw the line on diversity, it's no coincidence that the six most racially and ethnically diverse communities in Canada (Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal and Ottawa) are also Canada's most economically vibrant communities.
    Yes, because immigrants are drawn to the opportunities of the most economically vibrant communities, and to larger communities where their community already has a foothold. Hole in the wall ethnic restaurants and corner groceries may be better for local economies than franchises and chains but they are hardly a major economic driver.

He may have used those inflammatory words to differentiate the "extreme multiculturalism" that he sees as a problem from "normal multiculturalism" where new citizens maintain connections to their roots but are encouraged to be Canadians first rather than the perceived new model where canadianness is secondary.

I'm not aware of any official policies that would be "extreme multiculturalism" other than at universities with hiring targets, but Trudeau seems to lean Xenophile - favouring difference for the sake of difference.
    There can only be one.

^To reduce the economic contributions of immigrants to ethnic restaurants and corner groceries is more than a little stereotypical. Check out the property development, home building, trucking, medicine, dentistry, engineering and IT sectors, among many others. You will find first and second generation immigrants making enormous economic contributions at all levels including senior management and business ownership.

To reduce those contributions to dependent on diversity or immigrant status is also more than a little stereotypical. In all those fields those "diverse" workers are doing the same things as the non-immigrant workers in the same sectors. We could be accepting 100% Minnesotan immigrants if we could find enough of them and the economic impact would be exactly the same, other than costs going up in some menial labour jobs that few established Canadians or Minnesotans will do for minimum wage.
    There can only be one.

^Making an argument that the economic impact of an equal number of Minnesotan immigrants would be exactly the same can't be proved or disproved since it is counterfactual. There aren't 250,000 Minnesotans eager to move to Canada every year.

But there is a mountain of evidence that immigrants from diverse countries who choose to settle here are younger, better educated, and more entrepreneurial than those of us born in Canada, and make a net positive contribution to Canada's prosperity.

The following statement by David Glosser on the merits of immigration really rings true:
    Glosser doesn't expect to change his nephew's mind anytime soon, telling CNN, "No, it appears he's made his political and personal career on this single issue, for reasons I don't really know." Still, he hopes his family's story will stir sentiment in others.

"I want to convince people to the realities of immigration through their hearts and minds. This is a large country, a wealthy country, and we've been made strong and large and wealthy not just by our natural resources and our geographical situation, but by the strength, the smarts, the muscle, the brains and the enterprise of millions of immigrants," Glosser said. "We can't solve all the world's problems, but we should offer help as we can in proportion to our size, our resources, and our abilities."
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/polit...ntv/index.html

People who are immigrants, refugees, or asylum seekers all have very different circumstances, and each category needs to be talked about in separate discussions.

I think too many people lump them all together and simply call all these people "immigrants", which is completely inaccurate and is a huge mistake.

Sometimes "better educated, more entrepreneurial" means someone with a masters degree "self employed" driving a truck. In which case the economic impact is the same no matter his or her education, first language, religion or nationality.
    There can only be one.

You can argue both sides of diversity, but one thing that is fact is that increased diversity naturally creates larger communities of a single ethnicity that want to stick together and not fully integrate. You see this in many large cities, especially Montreal.

But Canada isn't so bad, just have a look at European cities to see what's really happening. Things happen there before they happen here. I walked in The Hague (Netherlands) with my wife and we ended up in the wrong part of town where we weren't the "minorities", we were the "only's". After some glares and dirty looks we got followed by a group of about 8 locals and ducked into a grocery store to pretend to shop until they left. They stood in the window staring at us. When they left we headed back the way we came, and my wife got spit on by some guy sitting on a stoop when we walked by. Not looking forward to having neighborhoods like this in Canada.

If you haven't heard of the 900 No-Go list in Europe, Google it.

If you think this isn't an issue in Canada, I welcome you to walk through some of the neighborhoods in Canada that are headed this way after 9PM by yourself and see how safe you feel. If you wouldn't feel comfortable doing that, then you can't really argue the points.

Stating all this, I do not support the tweets or the hate, but something needs to change, and our Country should feel safe enough to walk anywhere we want and let our kids play anywhere we want no matter the city or neighborhood. It's inevitable that trends happening in Europe start happening in North America over time.

"Diversity" is a ridiculous political buzzword. Every individual person is different from another.

The only time people get along is when they find they have important things in common with each other. Singling out and highlighting and amplifying what makes people different only causes division and conflict.

^^Are you referring to the bogus 900 No-Go list released by the xenophobic Orban government in Hungary, a list that has been widely debunked?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7319856.html

Compared to Canada where all but Indigenous people came from elsewhere at some point in fairly recent history, Europe does face integration challenges not likely to be replicated here. There is a tendency in Europe to see folks who look visibly different as not quite as Dutch, French, German etc. as those who can trace their ancestry back hundreds of years. Until fairly recently, some European countries actively discriminated against migrant communities by refusing to extend citizenship or restricting where they were allowed to live and/or the type of work they were allowed to do. Another difference is that migrants in Europe tend to come from a limited number of countries in Africa or the Middle East often as asylum seekers, rather than the much more diverse origins of immigrants to Canada who mostly qualify to come through a merit based system.

That said, having traveled extensively in Europe, I feel as safe or safer walking alone anywhere in any Western European city as I do in a Canadian city of comparable size, and safer than walking in a US city of comparable size.

^^Are you referring to the bogus 900 No-Go list released by the xenophobic Orban government in Hungary, a list that has been widely debunked?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a7319856.html

Compared to Canada where all but Indigenous people came from elsewhere at some point in fairly recent history, Europe does face integration challenges not likely to be replicated here. There is a tendency in Europe to see folks who look visibly different as not quite as Dutch, French, German etc. as those who can trace their ancestry back hundreds of years. Until fairly recently, some European countries actively discriminated against migrant communities by refusing to extend citizenship or restricting where they were allowed to live and/or the type of work they were allowed to do. Another difference is that migrants in Europe tend to come from a limited number of countries in Africa or the Middle East often as asylum seekers, rather than the much more diverse origins of immigrants to Canada who mostly qualify to come through a merit based system.

That said, having traveled extensively in Europe, I feel as safe or safer walking alone anywhere in any Western European city as I do in a Canadian city of comparable size, and safer than walking in a US city of comparable size.
    It's foolish to think that we wouldn't meet the same challenges that Europe has. If you think Canada doesn't have loopholes for legitimate immigrants to bring entire families, or the people who have come and just never left, along with problems from all those illegally crossing the border and disappearing, then I don't know what to tell you.

I've always traveled, and I lived in Europe for several years. I've been to 19 countries. Saying that you feel safer walking around in any European city at night means nothing, as I was talking about the "ghetto" neighborhoods, not the tourist spots. You obviously didn't venture far from the city centres in places like The Hague, Hamburg, Brussels, Paris, Vienna, Krakow and dozens more places that I've been to and wandered off the tourist path, otherwise you wouldn't be saying that. Either that or I guess you're just a big tough guy.

And this is just Europe by the way, and these neighborhoods are full of people mostly not from Western Europe, places I've also been and wouldn't wander far after dark, like Fez and Marrakesh in Morocco, the Souks of Dubai, South-East Turkey, the larger towns of the Congo and Kenya. If you still feel so brave in these places and would be fine having your kids play around, then I guess you really have no problems with anything that might happen here. Congratulations to you, but we all can't live in ignorance.

^As a big tough guy, when traveling to Europe, I enjoy nothing more than making my way to the "ghetto" neighbourhoods to take on the ethnics who refuse to fully integrate.

Seriously, you know as little about my knowledge of Canadian immigration rules and my travel habits as you do about my physical appearance.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Be carefull "Mr big tough guy" while taking on and anger the ethnics. They have strenght in numbers, and don't like outsiders throwing their weight around. Otherwise you could meet the business end of their hand guns or knives. Every white face is a invitation to a robbery or worse.

^You realize I was being sarcastic in my earlier post, right?

Even being on the Rez at night is scary enough for me.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728 LastLast