Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728
Results 2,701 to 2,743 of 2743

Thread: Liberals And Trudeau - Performance Review!

  1. #2701

    Default

    So much for the claim that the Liberals were only using Twitter and not diplomacy.

    Trudeau government started pressing Saudis to release Badawi long before Twitter flap

    The memo, which is redacted in several places, was obtained by CBC News through Access to Information.


    It contradicts the accusation from some quarters that the Trudeau government has used "Twitter diplomacy" instead of diplomatic back-channels to try to secure the release of Badawi — who has been in a Saudi jail since 2012 and was publicly lashed in 2015 as punishment for his criticism of the regime.


    In fact, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland took to Twitter earlier this month to criticize the Saudi government's treatment of the Badawi family only after nearly three years of quiet diplomacy had failed to win his freedom and after the Saudis suddenly escalated the situation by arresting Badawi's sister, Samar.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bada...land-1.4785075

  2. #2702
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    I knew they were working behind the scenes, diplomatically, then CF threw a spanner in the works!

  3. #2703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^As a big tough guy, when traveling to Europe, I enjoy nothing more than making my way to the "ghetto" neighbourhoods to take on the ethnics who refuse to fully integrate.

    Seriously, you know as little about my knowledge of Canadian immigration rules and my travel habits as you do about my physical appearance.
    Your previous statements made your travel habits obvious, and your comment about travel habits are hypocritical after your bolded statement considering you don't know mine. And your joking on the matter and turning it into make fun really shows that I was right. I stay for long periods of time when I travel. I don't go for a weekend and do the guided tours and leave. We do the guided tours, but then we stay, we explore, we walk around, go to theatres and festivals, meet locals and do some dark tourism. The fluffy guided tours are designed to show you the best of what a place has to offer, but then you're only seeing part of it. To me, that's a little stale, and you're not seeing the whole picture. Also, some of my traveling is for work, and I'm not just going to sit in my hotel room every evening and die of boredom.

  4. #2704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    So much for the claim that the Liberals were only using Twitter and not diplomacy.

    Trudeau government started pressing Saudis to release Badawi long before Twitter flap

    The memo, which is redacted in several places, was obtained by CBC News through Access to Information.


    It contradicts the accusation from some quarters that the Trudeau government has used "Twitter diplomacy" instead of diplomatic back-channels to try to secure the release of Badawi who has been in a Saudi jail since 2012 and was publicly lashed in 2015 as punishment for his criticism of the regime.


    In fact, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland took to Twitter earlier this month to criticize the Saudi government's treatment of the Badawi family only after nearly three years of quiet diplomacy had failed to win his freedom and after the Saudis suddenly escalated the situation by arresting Badawi's sister, Samar.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bada...land-1.4785075
    ... and it gets even better. Apparently, former Conservative Foreign Affairs Minister Baird, who recently spoke to Saudi media criticizing the current Canadian government, was apparently also tweeting on the same topic when he was the minister.

  5. #2705
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    So much for the claim that the Liberals were only using Twitter and not diplomacy.

    Trudeau government started pressing Saudis to release Badawi long before Twitter flap

    The memo, which is redacted in several places, was obtained by CBC News through Access to Information.


    It contradicts the accusation from some quarters that the Trudeau government has used "Twitter diplomacy" instead of diplomatic back-channels to try to secure the release of Badawi who has been in a Saudi jail since 2012 and was publicly lashed in 2015 as punishment for his criticism of the regime.


    In fact, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland took to Twitter earlier this month to criticize the Saudi government's treatment of the Badawi family only after nearly three years of quiet diplomacy had failed to win his freedom and after the Saudis suddenly escalated the situation by arresting Badawi's sister, Samar.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bada...land-1.4785075
    ... and it gets even better. Apparently, former Conservative Foreign Affairs Minister Baird, who recently spoke to Saudi media criticizing the current Canadian government, was apparently also tweeting on the same topic when he was the minister.

    Baird tweeted about the lashings they were giving..did you not know that?

  6. #2706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    So much for the claim that the Liberals were only using Twitter and not diplomacy.

    Trudeau government started pressing Saudis to release Badawi long before Twitter flap

    The memo, which is redacted in several places, was obtained by CBC News through Access to Information.


    It contradicts the accusation from some quarters that the Trudeau government has used "Twitter diplomacy" instead of diplomatic back-channels to try to secure the release of Badawi who has been in a Saudi jail since 2012 and was publicly lashed in 2015 as punishment for his criticism of the regime.


    In fact, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland took to Twitter earlier this month to criticize the Saudi government's treatment of the Badawi family only after nearly three years of quiet diplomacy had failed to win his freedom and after the Saudis suddenly escalated the situation by arresting Badawi's sister, Samar.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bada...land-1.4785075
    ... and it gets even better. Apparently, former Conservative Foreign Affairs Minister Baird, who recently spoke to Saudi media criticizing the current Canadian government, was apparently also tweeting on the same topic when he was the minister.

    Baird tweeted about the lashings they were giving..did you not know that?
    I see tweeting about lashings is ok, but not about imprisonment - to me that seems to be splitting hairs. However, I think the real issue being debated now is public criticism of Saudi Arabia and it seems Canada has been fairly consistent all along under both Conservative and Liberal governments, with perhaps the exception of the recent flip flop of Mr. Baird. Here is the portion of the article that relates to Mr. Baird's various comments and tweeting on this case.

    "The punishment being administered to Mr. Badawi is inhumane and is unbecoming of a society which seeks to advance itself within the family of nations," wrote Bennett.

    Foreign Minister John Baird followed up six days later with his own public statement: "This punishment is a violation of human dignity and freedom of expression."
    Now in private life and working as a lobbyist, Baird has criticized the current government for making its concerns public.
    "For Canada to treat a friend and ally this way has been tremendously unhelpful and disappointing," Baird told Saudi state-owned broadcaster Al Arabiya. "We had respectful discussions face-to-face, not hectoring tweets."
    And yet Baird tweeted himself about the case, calling it a "violation of human dignity."


    Baird told Bloomberg that Freeland's decision to communicate through Twitter "has obviously caused great damage to Canadian interests."

  7. #2707
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    This is the new prince who nobody knows, least of all the feds

    Baird told Bloomberg that Freeland's decision to communicate through Twitter "has obviously caused great damage to Canadian interests."

    Fact.

  8. #2708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    This is the new prince who nobody knows, least of all the feds

    Baird told Bloomberg that Freeland's decision to communicate through Twitter "has obviously caused great damage to Canadian interests."

    Fact.
    Maybe everything in the world is not the Liberals fault, particularly because they didn't really do anything different in the same situation than the Conservatives. Perhaps if the Saudi's over reacted, it might be THEIR fault.

  9. #2709
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,859

    Default

    ^ As a Conservative, I couldn't agree more.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  10. #2710

    Default

    This is why the world is a mess, there are people that care more about a tweet than a bus full of children being killed.

    Pulling out students and patients (not sure who Saudi Arabia is trying to punish, us or their citizens).

    I also think it's quite sad that we (Canada) can't keep a united front. But I guess something learnt in this incident, it's every country for themselves and every man/woman/child for themselves.

  11. #2711
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    This is the new prince who nobody knows, least of all the feds

    Baird told Bloomberg that Freeland's decision to communicate through Twitter "has obviously caused great damage to Canadian interests."

    Fact.
    Maybe everything in the world is not the Liberals fault, particularly because they didn't really do anything different in the same situation than the Conservatives. Perhaps if the Saudi's over reacted, it might be THEIR fault.
    It might be both their faults..!

  12. #2712
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meo View Post
    This is why the world is a mess, there are people that care more about a tweet than a bus full of children being killed.

    Pulling out students and patients (not sure who Saudi Arabia is trying to punish, us or their citizens).

    I also think it's quite sad that we (Canada) can't keep a united front. But I guess something learnt in this incident, it's every country for themselves and every man/woman/child for themselves.
    The Saudi students add a lot of money into our health system, and some will have to make up the shortfall. One spokesman on the radio said 15 million..

  13. #2713

    Default

    15 Million into the Canadian health system wouldn't even register as a drop. AHS 2018 budget is 22 Billion dollars...

  14. #2714
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,582

    Default

    They don't add any money in to our health system. That's a misunderstanding of things. The Saudi students do however pay a lot of tuition at various universities and colleges, and Saudi residents/fellows numbering in the hundreds work in hospitals and would be hard to replace on short notice.

  15. #2715
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meo View Post
    This is why the world is a mess, there are people that care more about a tweet than a bus full of children being killed.

    Pulling out students and patients (not sure who Saudi Arabia is trying to punish, us or their citizens).

    I also think it's quite sad that we (Canada) can't keep a united front. But I guess something learnt in this incident, it's every country for themselves and every man/woman/child for themselves.
    And they mitigate it by playing the blame game and name calling.

    It takes leaders like Doug Ford to at least get the ball rolling to stand by Trudeau on Trade, instead of these Yes men like Horgan etc not sticking together for the greater good of the country.

    Its always been that way. Sadly, its just the way the world is.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  16. #2716
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    They don't add any money in to our health system. That's a misunderstanding of things. The Saudi students do however pay a lot of tuition at various universities and colleges, and Saudi residents/fellows numbering in the hundreds work in hospitals and would be hard to replace on short notice.
    Also a lot of that money from Saudi students goes back into our economy. I'm sure a lot of those students couldn't give a rats butt about politics.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  17. #2717

    Default

    Maybe the focus ought to be making sure that Canadian Medical School Graduates get matched before we provide residency spots to foreign medical school graduates particularly from a repressive regime like Saudi Arabia.

    https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/...opportunities/

  18. #2718

    Default

    I wonder how many of the folks who claim to be concerned about the Saudi medical students would support them if they made a claim of political asylum? Not many I'm wiling to bet. They'll take their money, no problem though.

  19. #2719
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    I wonder how many of the folks who claim to be concerned about the Saudi medical students would support them if they made a claim of political asylum? Not many I'm wiling to bet. They'll take their money, no problem though.
    You're a terrible mind reader, and should give up on trying to ascribe views to people you've never met and know next to nothing about. I'd have zero problem with that, and would applaud any Saudi medical student that spoke out against the House of Saud's terrible human rights record like this one has done: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ency-1.4784101

  20. #2720
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,859

    Default

    Saudi Arabia treatment of their own citizens is news not hard to find. I'm sure Saudi foreign ministry or its Canadian equivalent had this in mind when they we're allowed to come here. While I don't claim to be a expert on this topic, I don't think foreign students can claim asylum on a student visa. Political discomfort is not grounds for asylum
    .
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  21. #2721
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,582

    Default

    Try reading the link I posted.

  22. #2722
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    Heard we're getting a new Stat Holiday. Let's call it John A. Macdonald day.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

  23. #2723
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,859

    Default

    I think it has to do with the residential schools issue.

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...ools-1.4786229
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  24. #2724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Heard we're getting a new Stat Holiday. Let's call it John A. Macdonald day.
    He was born in early January, so I don't think so

  25. #2725
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,582

    Default

    Turns out I was wrong above. The Saudi government does indeed pay for resident spots: http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/saudi...ents-1.4784798

    According to Prof. Joe Schwarcz, who specializes in science and public policy at McGill University, the Saudis hand over roughly $100,000 per resident per year. This year, there are 800 Saudis in addition to the 3,308 Canadian-government-funded positions, meaning the Saudis comprise about 20 per cent of the 4,108 residents in Canadian hospitals. Taking into consideration the salaries hospitals don't have to pay them and the money their government pays for their training, those Saudi residents effectively bring $165,000 apiece per year with them, for a total this year of about $132 million.
    I also didn't realize the proportion of residents in our health care system that are Saudi is so high. It's actually pretty disappointing that various elected officials and bureaucrats have let us get in this position in the first place. Even if it was a more palatable country like India or something, someone should have realized "hey, 20% of our residents are coming from a single country, this is a serious vulnerability in our health care system that needs to be addressed."

  26. #2726
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Your previous statements made your travel habits obvious, and your comment about travel habits are hypocritical after your bolded statement considering you don't know mine. And your joking on the matter and turning it into make fun really shows that I was right. I stay for long periods of time when I travel. I don't go for a weekend and do the guided tours and leave. We do the guided tours, but then we stay, we explore, we walk around, go to theatres and festivals, meet locals and do some dark tourism. The fluffy guided tours are designed to show you the best of what a place has to offer, but then you're only seeing part of it. To me, that's a little stale, and you're not seeing the whole picture. Also, some of my traveling is for work, and I'm not just going to sit in my hotel room every evening and die of boredom.
    How did my previous statements make my travel habits obvious? All I said was that I have travelled extensively in Europe which is a true statement. And in 64 years of life I've never been on a guided tour in Europe. Why would I? I consider Europe (especially the Netherlands) a second home having being born in Canada shortly after my parents immigrated from the Netherlands.

    You suggested googling no-go zones in a previous post. Doing so I was annoyed to see the Nieuw West district of Amsterdam listed on some sites. Sites that are mostly inaccurate and often xenophobic. I have a first cousin who lives in the Slotermeer neighbourhood of Nieuw West. I've stayed with her on several occasions. Despite some initial apprehension decades ago as people from mainly Turkish and Moroccan origins began to settle there, instead of being fearful, she's made of point of getting to know her new neighbours. This includes buying things in their shops, dining in their restaurants, and providing out of school care for their children. She has found the vast majority are hard working, law abiding people who have the same hopes for their children as she does for hers.

  27. #2727

    Default

    How long before Bernier pulls a Derek Fildebrandt and announces he's forming his own party?

    Andrew Scheer joins caucus members in condemning Bernier's 'identity politics'
    'He's just poking us in the eye for no reason,' Conservative Sen. Salma Ataullahjan tells CBC


    Maxime Bernier received an official rebuke from his boss, Conservative Party Leader Andrew Scheer, and a broadside from a Pakistani-Canadian Conservative senator today as the party moved to distance itself from the former leadership contender's opinions on multiculturalism on the eve of its national convention.


    Scheer pointed out in a statement issued this evening that Bernier "holds no official role in caucus and does not speak for the Conservative Party of Canada on any issue."


    Referencing Bernier's recent tweets attacking the Liberal government's "extreme multiculturalism," Scheer said that "personally, I disagree with politicians on the left and the right when they use identity politics to divide Canadians.

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pak...weet-1.4786506

  28. #2728
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Murray Rankin is wetting himself over this new stat holidays. Three weeks after back to school (if its in September, )and he wants everyone to wear an orange shirt. I won't be doing that, and for most people, it will be just another day off. I feel sorry for some employers..I really do..but then JT does love a holiday!

  29. #2729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    How long before Bernier pulls a Derek Fildebrandt and announces he's forming his own party?
    The sooner the better. Two rightist parties are way better than one.

  30. #2730
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Edmonton area.
    Posts
    6,793

    Default

    Hes looking good in Quebec, heck you can even have your property seized there for refusing to take down your English sign. Multicuralism has not taken root there. Maybe hes looking to a future premiership.

  31. #2731
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Hes looking good in Quebec, heck you can even have your property seized there for refusing to take down your English sign. Multicuralism has not taken root there. Maybe hes looking to a future premiership.
    I don't know why he can't say what he likes, some things he has said, I agree with, not all, but some.I'm sure not everyone agrees with JT, they'd be too afraid to speak out, against dear leader.

  32. #2732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Hes looking good in Quebec, heck you can even have your property seized there for refusing to take down your English sign. Multicuralism has not taken root there. Maybe hes looking to a future premiership.
    I live in Montreal. No one has ever had their property seized for putting up an English sign.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

  33. #2733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Your previous statements made your travel habits obvious, and your comment about travel habits are hypocritical after your bolded statement considering you don't know mine. And your joking on the matter and turning it into make fun really shows that I was right. I stay for long periods of time when I travel. I don't go for a weekend and do the guided tours and leave. We do the guided tours, but then we stay, we explore, we walk around, go to theatres and festivals, meet locals and do some dark tourism. The fluffy guided tours are designed to show you the best of what a place has to offer, but then you're only seeing part of it. To me, that's a little stale, and you're not seeing the whole picture. Also, some of my traveling is for work, and I'm not just going to sit in my hotel room every evening and die of boredom.
    How did my previous statements make my travel habits obvious? All I said was that I have travelled extensively in Europe which is a true statement. And in 64 years of life I've never been on a guided tour in Europe. Why would I? I consider Europe (especially the Netherlands) a second home having being born in Canada shortly after my parents immigrated from the Netherlands.

    You suggested googling no-go zones in a previous post. Doing so I was annoyed to see the Nieuw West district of Amsterdam listed on some sites. Sites that are mostly inaccurate and often xenophobic. I have a first cousin who lives in the Slotermeer neighbourhood of Nieuw West. I've stayed with her on several occasions. Despite some initial apprehension decades ago as people from mainly Turkish and Moroccan origins began to settle there, instead of being fearful, she's made of point of getting to know her new neighbours. This includes buying things in their shops, dining in their restaurants, and providing out of school care for their children. She has found the vast majority are hard working, law abiding people who have the same hopes for their children as she does for hers.
    I don't think Amsterdam is bad at all, probably because of the huge amount of tourism. I'd be more worried about a car break-in, pick-pockets or getting hit by a bike there, and there are some streets where I've seen a dozen cars with broken windows and glass all over the sidewalk (more of a problem for locals I guess). However, not far from there, there are several very bad neighborhoods you don't want to walk though in The Hague and Rotterdam, and I mentioned before my bad experience in The Hague. These are big cities that people seem to flock to, possibly because it's a big port city that isn't very touristy. Probably the same reason Hamburg has some unwelcoming areas as well.

    We frequently went to the Netherlands several times a month for shopping, dinner and movies, but stuck closer to the German border because it was only a 30 minute drive to the smaller towns that we really liked. Malden, Zevenaar and Arnhem were our usual evenings out when we went there and they are great cities with no sketchy areas in sight.

    Since this has now gone way off topic from Canada to Europe, I'm bowing out of this conversation for the sake of everyone else in this thread and to keep it on topic.
    Last edited by alkeli; Yesterday at 09:10 AM.

  34. #2734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Heard we're getting a new Stat Holiday.
    If they want to do that, they should make Remembrance Day a Statutory holiday across Canada.

  35. #2735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Heard we're getting a new Stat Holiday. Let's call it John A. Macdonald day.
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I think it has to do with the residential schools issue.

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...ools-1.4786229

    I really don't see the logic as to why you would make something like this a stat holiday...

  36. #2736
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Heard we're getting a new Stat Holiday.
    If they want to do that, they should make Remembrance Day a Statutory holiday across Canada.
    It is Federally. The feds can't force provinces to recognize federal holidays.

  37. #2737

    Default

    No but they can force the provinces to apply a carbon tax. Hmm, where are the priorities here? Oh right, one makes money...

  38. #2738

    Default

    ^Because if it was an option (carbon tax wouldn't be a thing at all), most people are pro things that are advantageous to them.

    I am surprised that Ontario doesn't recognize Remembrance Day as a holiday (Quebec, not so much).

  39. #2739

    Default Bairds ethics

    I just read this article. I was not previously aware that Baird is currently on the board of a company that has significant business interests in Saudi Arabia. It explains a lot.

    The ethics of John Bairds Saudi intervention

    https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...oZS?li=AAggv0m

  40. #2740
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    I don't even know anymore :/
    Posts
    1,122

    Default

    He has $erious conviction$ about Canada's actions.

  41. #2741
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    10,582

    Default

    I guess he's happy to be our Gerhard Schroder. Pretty disgusting, really.

  42. #2742
    C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Clareview
    Posts
    8,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Heard we're getting a new Stat Holiday. Let's call it John A. Macdonald day.
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I think it has to do with the residential schools issue.

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...ools-1.4786229

    I really don't see the logic as to why you would make something like this a stat holiday...
    The Jews have Yom HaShoah and I can completely understand the logic behind that. A stat holiday for reconciliation makes no sense to me either. We have enough National holidays in the Calendar year as it is.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

  43. #2743
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Heard we're getting a new Stat Holiday. Let's call it John A. Macdonald day.
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I think it has to do with the residential schools issue.

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ott...ools-1.4786229

    I really don't see the logic as to why you would make something like this a stat holiday...
    The Jews have Yom HaShoah and I can completely understand the logic behind that. A stat holiday for reconciliation makes no sense to me either. We have enough National holidays in the Calendar year as it is.
    https://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...day-1.23401986


    How many Canadians will spend Sept. 3 this year contemplating or honouring the contributions of labour to our society? How many will pass Good Friday in prayer and reflection on the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ? Many will, but many will be in the mall.

    Statutory holidays, regardless of their original purpose, have largely become shopping days.

    Fact!

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182425262728

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •