Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberals And Trudeau - Performance Review!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Could you supply the source for the cr*p you post as otherwise WTF is this picture supposed to represent.
    It's a fairly well known incident where, during the Kelowna fires, Harper had a fire crew pulled so he could have a photo op.

I've been pleased Trudeau has stayed away from the active fire zone while they've gotten things under better control. It remains to be seen how he handles things when he does visit on Friday. Hopefully more like Harper in 2011 in Slave Lake where there was a tour of the site and comments.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

http://www.pressprogress.ca/is_it_et...the_background

For those unfamiliar with the issue.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    ^Could you supply the source for the cr*p you post as otherwise WTF is this picture supposed to represent.
    It's a fairly well known incident where, during the Kelowna fires, Harper had a fire crew pulled so he could have a photo op.

I've been pleased Trudeau has stayed away from the active fire zone while they've gotten things under better control. It remains to be seen how he handles things when he does visit on Friday. Hopefully more like Harper in 2011 in Slave Lake where there was a tour of the site and comments.
    It does not matter what the 'incident' represents you are still required to provide the source of the pictures/articles you post no matter how obscure they are connected to what we are actually posting about. Yes, it is great that Captain Selfie is not around to disrupt the actual work going on in Fort McMurray. I should imagine what with him socializing and partying stateside it will be a refreshing change to see him actually do some thing a bit more constructive than constant festivities.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

For cripes sake, don't bleat about how many millions Captain Selfie spends jet setting all over the globe with sweet F A to show for it. Captain Selfie the budget messiah can waste all the time he wants and spend as much as he wants on socializing as he has predicted the budget will balance itself.

This is how it's done!.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0daf53aee1270
    You can laugh but him being human is opening all the doors that closed on Harper. Judge him on what he does when he walks through them.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I find the criticisms of Trudeau as "Captain Selfie" and such interesting. I don't see actually talking to and interacting with Canadians as something to be criticized. And if you're worried about narcissism I would be more concerned if he filled the halls of Parliament with pictures of himself:

"I'd say between every window, in every available space of the wall, at eye level, every available space has a photo of Stephen Harper."

"You've got photos of Stephen Harper, but not of previous prime ministers," she added. "Photos of Stephen Harper in different costumes, in different settings, dressed as a fireman, in Hudson Bay looking for polar bears, meeting the Dalai Lama, even the portrait of the Queen had to have Stephen Harper, but in a candid, behind her."
    http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...b-559023144731

If the cons had a leader as photogenic and popular as Trudeau who took all the selfies in the world, they wouldn't give a damn. In fact, they would be crowing about it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    If the cons had a leader as photogenic and popular as Trudeau who took all the selfies in the world, they wouldn't give a damn. In fact, they would be crowing about it all the time.
    Photogenic with no brains, that only takes you so far. I have never cared that Harper didn't fit the Obama/Trudeau type box. The man took care of Canada, JT isn't anything special, which Libbie's will find out in due time.

You didn't see the hug? Ambrose is doing a pretty good job right now, I think the Conservatives are comfortable just taking a back seat for the moment (read below, from Liberals own newspaper), Trudeau will dig his own grave.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...im-harper.html

So, you have interim Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose accepting a hug from Trudeau after she teared up while speaking about the devastation in Fort McMurray, Alta., and then being photographed sitting in Trudeau’s office with Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale in a show of unity to raise money to help alleviate the suffering in Alberta.

Pigs aren’t flying and hell remains plenty hot, and Kenney and Ambrose remain true-blue Conservative partisans.

They have, however, learned to turn down the dial in the partisan hot house here.

They have taken their cue from Ambrose, who has provided that much-elusive “tone” as the interim leader.

She can be tough, she can be pointed, but she shows the humanity the party needs.

She tears up and her voice cracks as she pays tribute to an Alberta colleague’s sudden death or the suffering from the wildfires in her home province. She’s real and she’s smart enough to play the non-partisan unity card with Trudeau, deft enough to smartly mock some of the prime minister’s social media tangents.

The party raised more money in the first quarter ($5.5 million) than any other party.
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-05-2016 at 09:01 AM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

To me, Ambrose is a continuation of every despicable thing that is wrong with the "conservatives". Made worse by her continual refusal to represent her riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    To me, Ambrose is a continuation of every despicable thing that is wrong with the "conservatives". Made worse by her continual refusal to represent her riding.
    I've found her despicable since she worked to remove womens' rights during her stint as "Minister responsible for the Status of Women".

She's utterly reprehensible.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Of course you hate her, she is a woman, she is conservative, and she represents Edmonton metro. She is the highest ranking Alberta politician. I can't imagine a worse mix for a Liberal. Most people have been extremely impressed by her though, even Toronto star writers.

Let's clear one thing up: she definitely does not represent Edmonton metro. She has a seat here, but has done absolutely nothing to promote the interests of her riding.

That is one of the reasons I find her so distasteful. No ethics, no Alberta values. She is clearly in it for herself, and is willing to sell out her home and her people for personal power.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Of course you hate her, she is a woman, she is conservative, and she represents Edmonton metro. She is the highest ranking Alberta politician. I can't imagine a worse mix for a Liberal. Most people have been extremely impressed by her though, even Toronto star writers.
    Way to selectively quote & ignore my entire reasoning. Bravo, moa.

The best decision she's ever made & about the only one I support is her vow to not run for permanent leader of the Conservatives. Outta the limelight, you regressive, anti-woman, anti-science, anti-environment party mouthpiece & the sooner, the better.

You didn't see the hug? Ambrose is doing a pretty good job right now, I think the Conservatives are comfortable just taking a back seat for the moment (read below, from Liberals own newspaper), Trudeau will dig his own grave.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...im-harper.html

So, you have interim Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose accepting a hug from Trudeau after she teared up while speaking about the devastation in Fort McMurray, Alta., and then being photographed sitting in Trudeau’s office with Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale in a show of unity to raise money to help alleviate the suffering in Alberta.

Pigs aren’t flying and hell remains plenty hot, and Kenney and Ambrose remain true-blue Conservative partisans.

They have, however, learned to turn down the dial in the partisan hot house here.

They have taken their cue from Ambrose, who has provided that much-elusive “tone” as the interim leader.

She can be tough, she can be pointed, but she shows the humanity the party needs.

She tears up and her voice cracks as she pays tribute to an Alberta colleague’s sudden death or the suffering from the wildfires in her home province. She’s real and she’s smart enough to play the non-partisan unity card with Trudeau, deft enough to smartly mock some of the prime minister’s social media tangents.

The party raised more money in the first quarter ($5.5 million) than any other party.
    I saw the, there there hug, I loved it when she rolled her eyes at him on the way back to his seat! He made it about himself, just as he always does.

Let's clear one thing up: she definitely does not represent Edmonton metro. She has a seat here, but has done absolutely nothing to promote the interests of her riding.
    So why does she keep winning? Obviously most of her constituent disagree with your left wing biased interpretation. That you and Noodle hate her so much, is probably indicative that she is doing a good job and promoting what most Albertan's actually care about, certainly her constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    I saw the, there there hug, I loved it when she rolled her eyes at him on the way back to his seat! He made it about himself, just as he always does.
    Conservatives are in a bit of a spot now, because she has done an amazing job / should be the next leader.

So why does she keep winning?
    Because she represents a rural Alberta riding who, for various ideological reasons of varying modern validity, will consistently federally vote Conservative, regardless of the candidate.

And of course this is not lost on Top_Dawg:

' The party raised more money in the first quarter ($5.5 million) than any other party. '

Very important.

So why does she keep winning?
    Because she represents a rural Alberta riding who, for various ideological reasons of varying modern validity, will consistently federally vote Conservative, regardless of the candidate.
    You could write that about 80% of the MP's in parliament, swapping "consistently federally vote Liberal, regardless of candidate" as appropriate. It doesn't make it true, I was proud when I lived in Anne McClellan's constituent, even though I didn't support her policies, I thought it was good for Edmonton to have a leader in cabinet.

Anytime there is successful Conservative woman, the same old clichés come out, because supposedly women have to be soft and lovey dovey huggy / care more about losers than winners / have left wing views:

- "she isn't caring enough" (as if women supposedly have to be feelers first, not thinkers - i.e. Myers Briggs)
    - "she doesn't support women's rights" (as if all women supposedly have to think they need hand outs, or they are traitors to their sex)
    - "she doesn't represent her constituents" (who ever says that about that other leader, Trudeau? He is never in his seat)
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-05-2016 at 09:57 AM.

I cannot fathom how unbelievably sexist you're being moa, instantly assuming that my problem with her politics has anything to do with her gender.

I would be as vehemently against "Ronald Ambrose" as I am against Rona. It's what comes out of her mouth that makes her terrible to me, not what's between her legs. I am pro-science, pro-human-rights, pro-environment & anti-war while she's none of these things.

By trying to point me out as sexist you've exposed your own sexist views, in spades.

BRAVO!

^I've said nothing but positive things about Rona, I think she is a strong conservative leader, and she shouldn't be called reprehensible because she implements conservative views:
    I've found her despicable since she worked to remove womens' rights during her stint as "Minister responsible for the Status of Women".

Conservative women scare liberals, its the same if someone brings up Thatcher, the mud starts to sling, and its sexisim concerning what left wingers think a woman should believe, that is driving it.

So why does she keep winning? Obviously most of her constituent disagree with your left wing biased interpretation. That you and Noodle hate her so much, is probably indicative that she is doing a good job and promoting what most Albertan's actually care about, certainly her constituents.
    She keeps getting elected because she has a label that inaccurately says "conservative" beside her name, and her constituents can't pry themselves away from allegiance to surface level identity politics.

A serial killing nazi supporter could get elected in that riding if the conservative party endorsed them.

Conservative women scare liberals, its the same if someone brings up Thatcher, the mud starts to sling, and its sexisim concerning what left wingers think a woman should believe, that is driving it.
    She doesn't scare me. The fact that anyone supports her regressive views enough to continually elect her to a position where those outdated & outmoded views get a platform scares me.

Conservatives are in a bit of a spot now, because she has done an amazing job / should be the next leader.
    Yes, she has. I am not sure she wants the job full time.

outdated & outmoded views
    Like what?

highlander

Neither outdated nor outmoded are bad things, just a reflection on how people get infatuated with the new.

80 years ago Eugenics was the new, up-to-date thing. Smoking was something everyone did. 60 years ago things like the METS plan was up-to-date and valuing wild spaces and neighbourhoods was outmoded. All that has changed.

Things will change again, and one day having no restrictions at all on abortion will be seen as barbaric by the trend setters.

^agreed. I am basically pro-choice, but I am not comfortable with people using abortion as a sex selection method. Its a shame that nobody is allowed to rationally discuss the issue, that has to polarize into two extremist groups, completely for, or completely against. That's not how most people think, IMO.

highlander

I'm generally happy with Trudeau, but his "it's 2016" response on the gender parity cabinet issue is one that makes me cringe. I agree that a greater voice for women in government is progress, but it's the kind of thoughtless, shut-down-discussion sort of response that isn't compatible with the kind of intelligent government that I continue to hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I'm generally happy with Trudeau, but his "it's 2016" response on the gender parity cabinet issue is one that makes me cringe. I agree that a greater voice for women in government is progress, but it's the kind of thoughtless, shut-down-discussion sort of response that isn't compatible with the kind of intelligent government that I continue to hope for.
    I like him so far and agree the "it's <insert date>" argument was in poor taste. Even worse is that it's been taken up by others. Generally I find he does a good job of rationalizing his thoughts outside of that single instance. Those accusing him of no brains must have hearing problems, or struggle to comprehend intelligence.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

He is awful in question period. Ah, um er..if it's written down he's fine. Mulcair is brilliant in QP.

C2E SME

heh, yeah, people's complaints about Trudeau's supposedly excessive use of "um" etc when speaking candidly without prepared notes is making it's way around social media now. Such a silly thing to take issue with, but apparently it's very bothersome to some. Harper just avoided that entirely by never taking questions or speaking publicly except for when he had a prepared speech. I guess that's, uh, uhm, erm, better?

Yeah, Top_Dawg would bet that if any of these critics would watch a video of themselves speaking in public they would be appalled.

I'm finding Trudeau refreshingly middle of road. There are decisions I don't like and decisions I like. There are parts of his personality I like and others not so much. Overall, though, I like that he's freed up the civil service to do their jobs without the massive political interference that was typical of the Harper Government.

Mulcair is undoubtably one of the best speakers in Question Period I've ever seen.

Mulcair is undoubtably one of the best speakers in Question Period I've ever seen.
    Maybe he could give Trudeau lessons, he ties him up( tongue tied) and spits him out.

Agreed

And one of the worst when an election is called...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

About 37-38 seconds in Captain Selfie announces he will be going to Ft. McMurray of Friday. He talks to fast, hesitates a bit, hums, ers etc. Sounds like an excited school boy who has just been told he has won the class contest to go to the dinosaur exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTDmIWOVv7U
    Last edited by Gemini; 11-05-2016 at 01:36 PM.

About 37-38 seconds in Captain Selfie announces he will be going to Ft. McMurray of Friday. He talks to fast, hesitates a bit, hums, ers etc. Sounds like an excited school boy who has just been told he has won the class contest to go to the dinosaur exhibition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTDmIWOVv7U
    Hmm, no mention of pipelines. Scheer is pretty nice to listen to.

Oh he doesn't have to mention pipelines. He's created two jobs since he's been in power so he think he's done his bit. By the way, the two jobs were in the way of nannies for his kids. He also thinks those two jobs will help the budget balance itself.

I kept wondering why the CONS are so bitter and post such gibberish on a continual basis then I saw this article and realize they must be the reason for the spike in sales!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...erta-1.3577241

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    heh, yeah, people's complaints about Trudeau's supposedly excessive use of "um" etc when speaking candidly without prepared notes is making it's way around social media now. Such a silly thing to take issue with, but apparently it's very bothersome to some. Harper just avoided that entirely by never taking questions or speaking publicly except for when he had a prepared speech. I guess that's, uh, uhm, erm, better?
    Its a bit strange though, he should work on it, its easy to fix, as most people who have done a public speaking course will attest. Some people um, some people go "ok" all the time. Its a verbal pause, but the right way to do it is to be silent for a second or two.

Default Abuse of power?

Surprise, surprise:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wher...tion-1.3575754

Aready hit recently by allegations the Prime Minister stuck out his tongue during question period and complaints that he unnecessarily invited his in-laws to the state dinner in Washington, the Trudeau government now stands accused of making inappropriate use of Standing Order 78 of the House of Commons.

Which is to say, it is accused of betraying the spirit of democracy and trampling the honour of Parliament.

"When Canadians voted on October 19, they were told by the Liberals that they were voting for real change," NDP MP Niki Ashton explained to the House on Tuesday morning. "The cutting off of debate here today is the opposite of that."
    Why is it when the Conservatives did this, it was an affront to democracy, but when the Liberals finally figure out that governments have an obligation to pass their agenda on a reasonable time frame, its perfectly ok? Oh the double standards...

Surprise, surprise:

Aready hit recently by allegations the Prime Minister stuck out his tongue during question period and complaints that he unnecessarily invited his in-laws to the state dinner in Washington, the Trudeau government now stands accused of making inappropriate use of Standing Order 78 of the House of Commons.

Which is to say, it is accused of betraying the spirit of democracy and trampling the honour of Parliament.

"When Canadians voted on October 19, they were told by the Liberals that they were voting for real change," NDP MP Niki Ashton explained to the House on Tuesday morning. "The cutting off of debate here today is the opposite of that."
    Why is it when the Conservatives did this, it was an affront to democracy, but when the Liberals finally figure out that governments have an obligation to pass their agenda on a reasonable time frame, its perfectly ok? Oh the double standards...
    He stuck his tongue out, good lord, is he 12?? WTH is wrong with him. The rest is a double standard, but if you have posters sticking up for this BS, then he gets away with it

Uhm is preferable to like, uhh like.

Surprise, surprise:

I can the need for it sometimes, the question is about frequency and it remains to be see whether Trudeau abuses it as much as Harper did. In this case I'm not sure why it's really necessary for C-15 however for C-14 they had a court imposed time limit.

I'll reserve judgment to see how many times they use it over their first year.

C2E SME

And one of the absolute creepiest when smiling in to a camera for a commercial. Gawd those were bad, but also kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull
    I can the need for it sometimes, the question is about frequency and it remains to be see whether Trudeau abuses it as much as Harper did. In this case I'm not sure why it's really necessary for C-15 however for C-14 they had a court imposed time limit.

I'll reserve judgment to see how many times they use it over their first year.
    Exactly, let's see how they use it and if it's abused. moahunter of course did not quote this from the article:

In each of the parliaments between 1980 and 2000, time allocation was used approximately 20 to 30 times. But in the four years that Conservatives had a majority between 2011 and 2015, time allocation was invoked approximately 100 times.

It's also coming back for further debate.

In each of the parliaments between 1980 and 2000, time allocation was used approximately 20 to 30 times. But in the four years that Conservatives had a majority between 2011 and 2015, time allocation was invoked approximately 100 times.
    You do realize don't you, that times change, and political tactics change? Stonewalling, and endless debates are a common tactic now, inherited from the US. The liberals and NDP employed it against the Conservatives, so the conservatives rightly shut it down so they could get their ambitious agenda through (which ultimately is the mark of any successful government). Now the Liberals face exactly the same from the Conservatives and NDP. Trudeau has a responsibility to his party / government to do exactly the same as Harper did, and its not an affront to democracy, be they conservatives or liberals. You can endlessly debate everything until Mulcair turns purple, but sometimes you have to do stuff / use your authority, which Canadians provided the government of the day (when its in majority). It was fine when Harper did this, and its fine when Trudeau does, the alternative is just academic nonsense / paralysis.
    Last edited by moahunter; 11-05-2016 at 03:24 PM.

I don't have a problem with people saying umm (or eh, or err), I'm guessing French was his 1st language and English later. So sometimes you need to pause to think of the words you will be saying next. As for sticking his tongue out ... his father did worse.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuddle_duddle

His father isn't PM. How can a fully grown man stick his tongue out. Oh his father did, that oh his father did worse. Seriously??!!! No wonder he gets a pass from the media...smh.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I don't have a problem with people saying umm (or eh, or err), I'm guessing French was his 1st language and English later. So sometimes you need to pause to think of the words you will be saying next. As for sticking his tongue out ... his father did worse.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuddle_duddle
    Fuddle Duddle would not even make a twitter bump today
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I've never seen so many people very very angry that our PM has a little charisma & doesn't talk like a pre-prepared teleprompter in QP.

Though it says something that the majority of what the right-wing rhetoric-spewing rabble-rousers are throwing out is pretty cheap & easily dismissed ad hominem attacks.

He is awful in question period. Ah, um er..if it's written down he's fine. Mulcair is brilliant in QP.
    So you voted for Mulcair and his tremendous speaking skills? If not, then you should reconsider your attack as that skill is clearly not of great importance to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    So you voted for Mulcair and his tremendous speaking skills? If not, then you should reconsider your attack as that skill is clearly not of great importance to you.
    Mulcair wipes the floor with JT in QP.

I will say what I like, about any of our politicians, and the guy with the semi famous name, doesn't get a pass from me. He is an egotistical narsastic twerp. If he didn't have Butts pulling his strings, just as he pulls Wynne's, he'd have no clue what to say when. Enjoy him while you can, because he has yet to be tested, and seems to think taking 44 people to the Whitehouse somehow proves he is a somebody. I have never known anyone need such a huge entourage wherever they go. Speaks volumes about him..insecure , needy, etc etc.
    Hell he isn't even Obama light!

I will say what I like, about any of our politicians, and the guy with the semi famous name, doesn't get a pass from me. He is an egotistical narsastic twerp. If he didn't have Butts pulling his strings, just as he pulls Wynne's, he'd have no clue what to say when. Enjoy him while you can, because he has yet to be tested, and seems to think taking 44 people to the Whitehouse somehow proves he is a somebody. I have never known anyone need such a huge entourage wherever they go. Speaks volumes about him..insecure , needy, etc etc.
    Trudeau wiped the floor on October 19th.

Quote Originally Posted by The Man From YEG View Post
    No he didn't, the Liberal party of Canada won the election thanks to the efforts of many candidates working hard to get elected as MLA's, backed by thousands of volunteers supporting them.

Mr. Trudeau did not come to power by himself, as Mr. Harper did not etheir.

And no Prime Minister or President runs things on their own.

No wonder I now hate party and partisan politics so much.

T

Speaking of which, Muclair owned Harper in Question Period. Harper was rendered a parrot when he got grilled over the Duffy scandal. Harper couldn't answer a direct question, he only repeated the same old script over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hinderks View Post
    No he didn't, the Liberal party of Canada won the election thanks to the efforts of many candidates working hard to get elected as MLA's, backed by thousands of volunteers supporting them.

T
    I think without Justin Trudeau that Mulcair would have won. People really voted for JT. A fresh new start and someone more with it. I personally had a hate on for the Libs most of my life but I voted for Justin. I like him and his young family and his way of thinking, more in tune with the everyday canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post

Speaking of which, Muclair owned Harper in Question Period. Harper was rendered a parrot when he got grilled over the Duffy scandal. Harper couldn't answer a direct question, he only repeated the same old script over and over.
    I don't disagree, but Harper is no longer in power. The new guy is now getting that treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post

T
    I think without Justin Trudeau that Mulcair would have won. People really voted for JT. A fresh new start and someone more with it. I personally had a hate on for the Libs most of my life but I voted for Justin. I like him and his young family and his way of thinking, more in tune with the everyday canadian.
    When the Liberals collapsed after Martin there was a move of voters to the NDP, especially when Layton was leader. I think if Layton hadn't died we could well have had a federal NDP government today. Mulcair was fairly strong but Trudeau brought the Liberals back and through the course of the election sapped the NDP vote. Without the vote split of the last decade the Liberals easily won.

If the Conservatives are going to come back they to pull votes the way Mulroney did rather than rely on vote splitting in the opposition.

T
    You can believe this all you want but without Trudeau the base wouldn't have been motivated to do a lot of the ground work.

I've been a card-carrying Liberal (born in Alberta) since the days of Pierre Trudeau and was one of the very few workers in the ill-fated Election of 1988 when there were maybe a dozen people putting in any major work for Una Maclean Evans. I was a delegate to Calgary for Chretien and my interest faded shortly thereafter when it became apparent that the Martin people were still in place in Edmonton and working towards undermining Chretien that ultimately led to Martin then Harper and the CONS with 10 years of backward policies (and no shovels in the ground).

Leaders make a huge difference.

Personally I don't care about a PM's charisma, I care about their honesty, integrity and character, say what you're going to do, and try hard to do it. I'm not voting for someone to entertain me but competently lead the country.

Personally I don't care about a PM's charisma, I care about their honesty, integrity and character, say what you're going to do, and try hard to do it. I'm not voting for someone to entertain me but competently lead the country.

Top_Dawg calls:

Lethally

toxic

and voluminous

gastrointestinal

hypermotility !

What ****** planet do you live on sundance ?

Like all other pols, the only thing the PM gives a flying *** about is getting re-elected so as to keep his/her fugly snout in the trough.

^It's just as well he does not care about the PM's charisma either as Trudeau has none. Well, about as much as a fence post.

Leaders make a huge difference.
    Of course leaders are important.

But by themselves they achieve nothing.

Shame most of them, regardless of party, haven't figured that out.

Be nice if, regardless of party, we finally had a few that put people/voters first all the time.

Mind you it would also be nice if voters, in general, actually paid attention enough to make an educated vote.

IMO

I think if Layton hadn't died we could well have had a federal NDP government today.
    I absolutely agree with this. Mulcair ran a terrible campaign. He went into the election leading the polls, but by the end he lost half of his support to Justin.

While I don't value a politician's charisma, I do know that a lot of voters unfortunately care greatly about a leader's style and image. Sadly I also know that my views are not the majority and things like hair tend to sway a lot of voters.

How about that Saudi arms deal that was so roundly excoriated by Libs when the Cons were in power? Oh, turns out it wasn't quite the "done deal, there's nothing we can do about it" decision the Libs portrayed.

Good review of it here: http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/first-scandal-trudeau-government

The differences between the Libs and Cons are mostly tone and style - same as it ever was...

The fun part on that is when the CPC was in power they set up the deal to have the details very secret and the Liberals attacked them on it. Now the Liberals are in power, are going ahead with the deal, and maintaining the secrecy while the CPC calls for them to open it up.

I suspect there are clauses in the deal that lock it in and prevent revealing the details. So the Liberals are trapped and the CPC can make them look bad while knowing full well what the contents are.

I still think the government should have ate the penalties and cancelled the deal. The rank hypocrisy of fighting a "war on terror" while supplying weapons to Saudi Arabia is galling.

Out of the choices, JT was the only one that had any of those, which is why I voted for that party.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    How about that Saudi arms deal that was so roundly excoriated by Libs when the Cons were in power? Oh, turns out it wasn't quite the "done deal, there's nothing we can do about it" decision the Libs portrayed.

Good review of it here: http://canadalandshow.com/podcast/first-scandal-trudeau-government

The differences between the Libs and Cons are mostly tone and style - same as it ever was...
    I love it when they say, we can't cancel contracts. Hmm, helicopters anyone? LOL. Mulcair called JT and Dion on that.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Out of the choices, JT was the only one that had any of those, which is why I voted for that party.
    we're all entitled to our opinions - we'll have to revisit this one in four years to see if there was any substance to it...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle29986113/

"I’d like to be everywhere, but I can’t,” Ms. Grégoire Trudeau said in an interview with daily newspaper Le Soleil. “I have three children at home and a husband who is Prime Minister. I need help. I need a team to help me serve people".

i guess having one personal secretary as well as two nannies for a household that wasn't supposed to need any support from the public purse isn't enough... of course that was when campaigning as opposed to when controlling the public purse as well as one's own.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

"I’d like to be everywhere, but I can’t,” Ms. Grégoire Trudeau said in an interview with daily newspaper Le Soleil. “I have three children at home and a husband who is Prime Minister. I need help. I need a team to help me serve people".

i guess having one personal secretary as well as two nannies for a household that wasn't supposed to need any support from the public purse isn't enough... of course that was when campaigning as opposed to when controlling the public purse as well as one's own.
    A team? ???? Typical Liberal...

^its fun seeing the NDP and Conservatives teaming up on this one, it's crazy, how much entitlement does one family need? Are they trying to turn Canada into the US where the leader is also head of state (hence all the state events - we have a Governor General for that). Per Kenney:

Harpers paid for babysitters not taxpayers. And they didn't inherit millions. Nor did Laureen whinge about it.
    #prayforsophie #sophiestrong

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/S...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    Last edited by moahunter; 12-05-2016 at 11:36 PM.

"I need a team to help me serve people." Okay, she says she has three children at home but needs to be everywhere? And, who are these people she serves and how does she serve them? Isn't it odd that Aline Chretien, Sheila Martin, and Laureen Harper didn't need help. And, it's not as if Sophie is overwhelmed with running a house or raising her children. She has a full-time chef, housekeepers, groundskeepers, two nannies, a personal assistant...what, exactly, does she do all day.

Trudeau campaigned on being the champion of the middle class and then his wife turns around and pulls this stunt. Sophie's whining is an insult to all working parents. I wonder how a single parent who holds a full-time job and has custody of three children thinks of Princess Sophie's little pity party.....

...what, exactly, does she do all day....
    One thing she doesn't do is sit around all day posting bitter diatribes when not sunning herself in Mexico.

She's doing a lot of charitable work and that's commendable however, in Canada, there is no real official role for the PM's spouse so I would question the need for more resources.

The lack of a defined role for the PMs spouse goes both ways though. If there was a more formalized "First Lady" role in Canada it would be a lot easier to go "yeah, that's a little over the line, Mrs Trudeau".

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

If she wants to help people she can always work for a charity organization, and her salary can pay for child care and personal expenses.

But charging her personal expenses to taxpayers so she can "volunteer" is a selfish move - nobody elected her to office.

The lack of a defined role for the PMs spouse goes both ways though. If there was a more formalized "First Lady" role in Canada it would be a lot easier to go "yeah, that's a little over the line, Mrs Trudeau".
    I don't think we should take the U.S. as our model in this. The better comparison is with the U.K. and I believe we're currently doing things in much the same way as they do with comparable support for the PM's spouse.

She's doing a lot of charitable work and that's commendable however, in Canada, there is no real official role for the PM's spouse so I would question the need for more resources.
    Most of them do when their husbands are the PM. I am glad to see some people questioning her needs.

Default Nanos Polls

Trudeau and the Liberals tracking up in the Prairies!

http://www.nanosresearch.com/tickers...olio/data.html

Go to the last tab on the top and scroll down to Prairies!!

I do love the ignore on this forum

I was thinking Sophie could start a go fund me page.

I do love the ignore on this forum...
    It's there for those who choose to remain ignorant that's for sure.

Default Bombardier

I hope that the Trudeau government remains firm on insisting that the Beaudoin family do away with the dual-share structure at Bombardier as a condition of any funds.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle30016968/

C2E SME

Me too. It's time for Bombardier to be a professionally managed, public company. Not a family owned business with a modicum of public shareholding and a penchant for government subsidy and bailouts.

Default Trudeau accused of 'manhandling' Conservative, elbowing NDP MP in House uproar

If I was a backbencher, I would be chanting:

"Fight"
    "Fight"
    "Fight"
    "Fight"

NDP House Leader Peter Julian accused Trudeau of "manhandling" Brown, as MPs on all sides of the House shouted and Speaker Geoff Regan struggled to regain order in the House.

An emotional NDP MP Ruth-Ellen Brosseau said later in the House that she had been "elbowed in the chest," bringing Trudeau to his feet once again to "apologize unreservedly."

Things are very very bad in the House. Nearly a physical altercation between Mulcair and Trudeau. #cdnpoli
    — @ElizabethMay
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trud...whip-1.3588407

I think the NDP is in a bit of panic right now about how popular Trudeau is... And it seems the Liberals don't like getting the same medicine they once gave the Conservatives on debate stalling.
    Last edited by moahunter; 18-05-2016 at 04:40 PM.

C2E SME

If that 45 second video is representative of what went on, I can't really do much of anything other than laugh at Nikki Ashton claiming that it was "deeply traumatic."

^I haven't seen the video yet, but I'm guessing a bit like the Rob Ford one. Need to suck it up a bit.

Based on the video I'd say Trudeau was out of line and I'm not surprised Mulcair was ****** off.

C2E SME

It's not even close to as bad as the Ford one. But yes, I'd agree that Trudeau was out of line. I just don't think it's a big deal, and think it's ridiculous that anyone would claim that it was traumatizing.

Let's not forget Ms. Ashton is a likely leadership candidate so juicing events to raise her profile is not beyond the pale of political BS.

Let's not forget Ms. Ashton is a likely leadership candidate so juicing events to raise her profile is not beyond the pale of political BS.
    Dear Ms. Ashton

Apparently he was heard to say "Get the fuddle-duddle out of the way"...

If I was a backbencher, I would be chanting:

"Fight"
    "Fight"
    "Fight"
    "Fight"
    Parliamentary winner and still champion!

Justin "the woman beater" Trudeau!

Time to wear elbow pads...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 18-05-2016 at 09:47 PM.

^I haven't seen the video yet, but I'm guessing a bit like the Rob Ford one. Need to suck it up a bit.
    Ford was accused of control issues, perhaps Trudeau has a few of his own.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Talk about a tempest in a pisspot. Sheesh.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Thumbs down

I have only seen mayhem like that in Europe. Jumped up little bully, I knew he'd show his temper, but this soon. ??? Too funny, except for the woman he nudged out of the way..embarrassing http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics...whip-1.3588407

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Dear Ms. Ashton

Its actually from the movie Rocky, he can't even claim that for his own..smh.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast