Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Liberals And Trudeau - Performance Review!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Based on the video I'd say Trudeau was out of line and I'm not surprised Mulcair was ****** off.
    I guess not, she was knocked over into a desk. Thats a member of his caucus...

This is what you get when 39% of Canada votes for a former bar room bouncer for a PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Aside from the elbow, he strode across the floor of the commons and grabbed Gord Brown by the arm and pulled him. If a person did this in a federal government office (or ANY other workplace) he would face serious disciplinary action.
    Using physical force in the workplace is simply unacceptable.

I quite enjoyed it. Those idiots need somebody to slap them around once in a while. lol. So a hockey game broke out in the House of Commons. This is Canada after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I quite enjoyed it. Those idiots need somebody to slap them around once in a while. lol. So a hockey game broke out in the House of Commons. This is Canada after all.
    Seriously? smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    If that 45 second video is representative of what went on, I can't really do much of anything other than laugh at Nikki Ashton claiming that it was "deeply traumatic."
    She was doing some fairly good acting there. They are all so full of BS. If they weren't they wouldn't be politicians.

C2E Super Addict

Regardless of one`s political allegiances, he did come across as a right wanker today.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

They were trying to prevent the whip from walking through. Moving back and forth so he couldn't go by and start the vote. Childish and idiotic, no wonder jt got pi$t off

Maybe Trudeau and Trump will get along after all.

They were trying to prevent the whip from walking through. Moving back and forth so he couldn't go by and start the vote. Childish and idiotic, no wonder jt got pi$t off
    The whip told JT to let go of his arm. JT was still angry after the vote, before seeing the BC premiere he had to go on his office and cool down. I thought yoga was calming...what's wrong with him, other than he's like his mother..

Reminds me of the "Shawinigan Strangler."

Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Let's not forget Ms. Ashton is a likely leadership candidate so juicing events to raise her profile is not beyond the pale of political BS.
    Dear Ms. Ashton

Its actually from the movie Rocky, he can't even claim that for his own..smh.
    JT does not claim it was his own. AZ Quotes simply puts these quotes together. We all requote famous lines and if heard in public, these organizations publish them but you are assuming that he was the originator and he is not.

When asked about his love for boxing and 2012 charity fight that he won, Trudeau had these words to say, words that all fans of Rocky Balboa will probably recognize right away,

“People think that boxing is all about how hard you can hit your opponent. It's not. Boxing is about how hard a hit you can take and keep going. That ultimately is much more the measure of a person– than someone who says, ‘Oh, I've never been knocked down,' or, ‘I've never been punched in the face.' Well, you know what? Maybe you should have. You might learn a few things about yourself.”

Fair warning to the rest of the leaders from around the world, don't mess with Trudeau.
    TSN.CA
    Maybe even the line in Rocky is not the original.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 19-05-2016 at 05:04 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Let's not forget Ms. Ashton is a likely leadership candidate so juicing events to raise her profile is not beyond the pale of political BS.
    Dear Ms. Ashton

Its actually from the movie Rocky, he can't even claim that for his own..smh.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

It will be fun watching the brainwashed and brain-dead try to defend Trudeau.

C2E Continued Contributor

^ It is essentailly indefensible, but it gets a lot easier when the opposition tries to associate terms like 'manhandled', and 'traumatic experience' with the incident. I was honestly wondering what the hell Trudeau was thinking (and still am), but once the NDP and Cons started comparing this incident to domestic violence, I figuratively changed the channel on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60 View Post
    Aside from the elbow, he strode across the floor of the commons and grabbed Gord Brown by the arm and pulled him. If a person did this in a federal government office (or ANY other workplace) he would face serious disciplinary action.
    Using physical force in the workplace is simply unacceptable.
    Its an interesting point, if I did that in the office, I'd expect I would be in trouble (although in fairness this wasn't a massive incident). Politicians seem to get away with a lot, I could stick my tounge out, or swear at someone either, and not expect discipline, most likely a termination, in todays climate.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-05-2016 at 07:38 AM.

Justin is still getting used to this stressful job. A sedative and a good nights sleep and he'll be ok. I hope they can put it behind them and continue on with business. Please.

Justin is still getting used to this stressful job. A sedative and a good nights sleep and he'll be ok. I hope they can put it behind them and continue on with business. Please.
    I think he is finding it a difficult realization that the tactics he used in the house to stall Conservative legislation, don't feel so nice when it is applied against you. I guess he justifies it because he feels his views and his legislation are right, and the conservatives views and conservatives legislation were wrong. But he has no more mandate than Harper did, and no less.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-05-2016 at 07:42 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    ^ It is essentailly indefensible, but it gets a lot easier when the opposition tries to associate terms like 'manhandled', and 'traumatic experience' with the incident. I was honestly wondering what the hell Trudeau was thinking (and still am), but once the NDP and Cons started comparing this incident to domestic violence, I figuratively changed the channel on the issue.
    "Any abusive, violent, coercive, forceful, or threatening act or word inflicted by one member of a family or household on another can constitute domestic violence.
    ...Various individuals and groups have defined domestic violence to include everything from saying unkind or demeaning words, to grabbing a person's arm, to hitting, kicking, choking..."

Even if you're prepared to accept the brousseau segment as "accidental", the entire sequence including the language and grabbing brown in particular certainly warrants the comparison if not in individual consequences in institutional ones and as a measure of character.
    Last edited by kcantor; 19-05-2016 at 07:46 AM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

It is interesting to see how offended the NDP are by all of this when it was their members who were essentially blocking access to the Liberal Whip. As for Ashton if she was in the NHL she'd get a penalty for embellishment.

Grow up, we pay you guys to represent us, not to act like a bunch of kindergarten students.

The speaker should have asked the members to either not block access or bar them from the chamber, the speaker has the power and authority to maintain order in the house.
    http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/House/Speaker/role-e.html
    Last edited by sundance; 19-05-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Grow up, we pay you guys to represent us, not to act like a bunch of kindergarten students.
    I think there is something about politics that brings that out, even on here of course.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    "Any abusive, violent, coercive, forceful, or threatening act or word inflicted by one member of a family or household on another can constitute domestic violence.
    ...Various individuals and groups have defined domestic violence to include everything from saying unkind or demeaning words, to grabbing a person's arm, to hitting, kicking, choking..."

Even if you're prepared to accept the brousseau segment as "accidental", the entire sequence including the language and grabbing brown in particular certainly warrants the comparison if not in individual consequences in institutional ones and as a measure of character.
    Ken, I'm not arguing the appropriateness of what he did, or how it reflects on his character (negatively, obviously). However, Peter Julian talked to reporters yesterday evening and referenced the incident in comparison to his aunt being beaten to death. Lisa Raitt tweeted an article this morning comparing Elizabeth May's condemnation of Jian Ghomeshi and her response to Trudeau. I'm sorry, but they've lost their minds over this.
    Last edited by KevinW; 19-05-2016 at 08:13 AM.

/\I wonder about Elizabeth May's misogyny, she was so quick to jump to Ghomeshi's and now Trudeau's defense.

Ken, Peter Julian talked to reporters yesterday evening and referenced the incident in comparison to his aunt being beaten to death. Lisa Raitt tweeted an article this morning comparing Elizabeth May's condemnation of Jian Ghomeshi and her response to Trudeau. I'm sorry, but they've lost their minds over this.
    I guess the concern is that Trudeau let his temper / anger get to him, but I agree with you, this isn't at all on the scale of domestic incident or similar. I think Trudeau does need to do some soul searching though, re why he misread the situation and lost control, but we all have bad days, and I expect the house of parliament is a lot more stressful an environment than most of us have to ever deal with outside our personal relationships. In some ways its worse than the Rob Ford one, because Rob Ford just didn't even see the person / was in one of his trances. This looks to me more like Trudeau was stewing in the corner and lost it. On the other hand, he didn't really do any harm, so I think its a bit overblown having seen the video.
    Last edited by moahunter; 19-05-2016 at 08:18 AM.

/\I wonder about Elizabeth May's misogyny, she was so quick to jump to Ghomeshi's and now Trudeau's defense.
    She is "one of the boys", not "one of the girls" (although I guess that could be interpreted as sexist depending on your views), just have to see her drunken speech to realize that, it was beyond any speech Klein ever gave while happy

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Ken, Peter Julian talked to reporters yesterday evening and referenced the incident in comparison to his aunt being beaten to death. Lisa Raitt tweeted an article this morning comparing Elizabeth May's condemnation of Jian Ghomeshi and her response to Trudeau. I'm sorry, but they've lost their minds over this.
    I guess the concern is that Trudeau let his temper / anger get to him, but I agree with you, this isn't at all on the scale of domestic incident or similar. I think Trudeau does need to do some soul searching though, re why he misread the situation and lost control, but we all have bad days, and I expect the house of parliament is a lot more stressful an environment than most of us have to ever deal with outside our personal relationships. In some ways its worse than the Rob Ford one, because Rob Ford just didn't even see the person / was in one of his trances. This looks to me more like Trudeau was stewing in the corner and lost it. On the other hand, he didn't really do any harm, so I think its a bit overblown having seen the video.
    It's politics, feel free to (correctly) score political points by questioning Trudeau's reaction and his judgment, that is what I would expect. Saying you "feel unsafe" because of the "assault" that took place? Sorry, I can't take that seriously after watching the video.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Ken, I'm not arguing the appropriateness of what he did. However, Peter Julian talked to reporters yesterday evening and referenced the incident in comparison to his aunt being beaten to death. Lisa Raitt tweeted an article this morning comparing Elizabeth May's condemnation of Jian Ghomeshi and her response to Trudeau. I'm sorry, but they've lost their minds over this.
    they may well have "lost their minds" over this but it was trudeau who just lost it. he lost his temper because he lost his accustomed - need for? - control, he purposefully left his seat with the intention of intervening and maintaining control, he lost his tongue, and he physically interfered with other people both directly and incidentally. those things would have - and should have - dire consequences in any other workplace.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

This is how it is done properly

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

On a retail politics level, this incident puts on full display how poor this crop of Dippers is at playing the game. This should be a perfect opportunity to mock, satirize and provoke the PM. Instead, the earnest, over-wrought, prickly reactions are a complete misreading of how this incident will be framed.

Ken, I'm not arguing the appropriateness of what he did. However, Peter Julian talked to reporters yesterday evening and referenced the incident in comparison to his aunt being beaten to death. Lisa Raitt tweeted an article this morning comparing Elizabeth May's condemnation of Jian Ghomeshi and her response to Trudeau. I'm sorry, but they've lost their minds over this.
    they may well have "lost their minds" over this but it was trudeau who just lost it. he lost his temper because he lost his accustomed - need for? - control, he purposefully left his seat with the intention of intervening and maintaining control, he lost his tongue, and he physically interfered with other people both directly and incidentally. those things would have - and should have - dire consequences in any other workplace.
    Ok great, so you are ready to appropriately judge him for leaving his seat and intervening in whatever the hell was going on on the floor, rather than accepting his being labelled a domestic abuser for bumping into someone while grabbing a (male) co-worker by the arm?

Rona Ambrose just referred to the incident as "physical molestation" of MP Brosseau. JFC.

On a retail politics level, this incident puts on full display how poor this crop of Dippers is at playing the game. This should be a perfect opportunity to mock, satirize and provoke the PM. Instead, the earnest, over-wrought, prickly reactions are a complete misreading of how this incident will be framed.
    Ha, yes exactly. Mulcair turning red in the face while hyper-ventilaitng his rage towards PMJT doesn't exactly make me think his judgement is more ready to be trusted.

Isn't it equally as regressive to have a male leader of the NDP going full papa bear to defend his equal in HoC? Or does he consider his female MP's as damsels?

Watched the clip on the news this morning. This is seriously newsworthy? I guess that we should be thankful our issues as a nation are so few that this warrants attention.

To Ashton & co I would say this: play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I would rather see the Sergeant at Arms haul them all out of the House for impeding government process.

Taxpayers don't pay for MPs to stand around like a bunch of juvenile brats blocking people from their seats and holding up votes. We pay them to take their job seriously, do their research, and vote on issues on our behalf.

Ashton, Mulcair, and the con backbenchers participating in this exercise in delinquency should be sanctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Watched the clip on the news this morning. This is seriously newsworthy?.
    You don't think so? It was newsworthy with Rob Ford, Trudeau being a Liberal doesn't make it not newsworthy. I think it raises a lot of issues around parliament in general and whether all the parties can't get their **** together and respect each other as "professionals" (if that's what a politician is). It also raises more general issues around anger management, and what is appropriate and what is not. I have sympathy for Trudeau on this one, but by the same token, it shouldn't have happened, and it would be nice to see the atmosphere change so it doesn't.

Meanwhile, the deposed Harper was in the House watching the whole thing. Probably made his day.

You don't think so? It was newsworthy with Rob Ford, Trudeau being a Liberal doesn't make it not newsworthy. I think it raises a lot of issues around parliament in general and whether all the parties can't get their **** together and respect each other as "professionals" (if that's what a politician is). It also raises more general issues around anger management, and what is appropriate and what is not. I have sympathy for Trudeau on this one, but by the same token, it shouldn't have happened, and it would be nice to see the atmosphere change so it doesn't.
    The only newsworthy part is that the NDP and a bunch of conservative backbenchers were acting like bratty school children in the house of commons.

They should all be formally sanctioned for their behvaiour. It is unbecoming of an MP to block governmental procedure like they were doing.

The only newsworthy part is that the NDP and a bunch of conservative backbenchers were acting like bratty school children in the house of commons.
    Its exactly that sort of partisan nonsense / spin (trudeau can do no wrong, all the others are ganging up on him so he was fine to physically intervene), which has lead to the type of nonsense we are seeing in the house. Its not acceptable to physically force someone (and no, I'm not saying this was a violent assault, but it still wasn't right, and even Trudeau has admitted that to his credit), if he wasn't happy with the situation, then that's what the speaker is for.

/\/\See post 213

They should all be formally sanctioned for their behvaiour. It is unbecoming of an MP to block governmental procedure like they were doing.
    With a straight face you are going to say, that besides what else was going on the floor, the Prime Minister of Canada grabbing another MP by the arm is not 'newsworthy'?

I know, right. I cannot stand this woman. If he had elbowed her, would she feel the same?? I know he didn't mean to elbow anyone, but the PM of Canada does not get up in the HOC to drag someone around, ever. He needs to really take a look at that temper, it's too early to be losing it.

Meanwhile, the deposed Harper was in the House watching the whole thing. Probably made his day.
    It made mine..

The JT honeymoon is over.

Other than this bozo action, I still am still pleasantly surprised how well he has done in office. That said, the Queen should be more careful around him on the next time they meet.

With a straight face you are going to say, that besides what else was going on the floor, the Prime Minister of Canada grabbing another MP by the arm is not 'newsworthy'?
    Trudeau was a teacher dealing with school children for many years. Maybe old habits die hard.

FYI people, the "grabbing by arm" part was not the "issue" - he walked out to make room and guide the whip through a gaggle of brats that was impeding governmental process. The "issue" is that one of those brats was bumped with the force of a falling snowflake and pretended she was "traumatized" by it to drum up political points.

The comments in this thread are golden. Such absurd straw grasping to divert attention from the NDP and conservative behaviour and spin Trudeau walking through their silly little group into an issue.

Ashton, Mulciar, and the con backbenchers are just upset that Trudeau didn't play their game. This isn't the USA - physically blocking people from getting to their seats in the House is wrong.

I do agree Trudeau could have handled it better. He should have called the speaker to bring in the Sergeant-At-Arms and have them all forcibly removed.

The whip said he wasn't blocked, he said the NDP had their backs to him. If he had wanted, he could of pushed through. Its never okay good the PM of Canada to grab anyone like that. Ever. The boy has a temper, let him look at himself and see what some some of us see.

He's a con whip and a liar. We all saw on the clip how he was being blocked and trying to get through. Party affiliation comes before truthfulness I'm afraid.

Justin showed a serious lapse of wisdom - he was baited and he fell for it. Big time.

Doesn't sway me any at all. Voted for him and still like him. He's just trying to get the job done. Take it as a learning experience and keep on going. Good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Justin showed a serious lapse of wisdom - he was baited and he fell for it. Big time.
    Yup, next time he will know what to do:

Call for the speaker to have the unruly MPs removed from the House by the Sergeant-At-Arms.

The headline we are seeing today should have read "Mulcair, NDP and Conservative MPs removed from House of Commons for blocking governmental process".

He's a con whip and a liar. We all saw on the clip how he was being blocked and trying to get through. Party affiliation comes before truthfulness I'm afraid.
    He told him to let go of his arm. Trudeau had no right, the bad tempered child was still ****** at nearly losing a vote, his minions didn't show up for. Sunny ways..hilarious. He needs something to take, ask his mother.

He's too big headed to not fall for it again, restraints might help next time.

At least JT did not prorogue Parliament...

Not yet.

Just watch me

Full interview

Trudeau skillfully challenging reporters
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 19-05-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Doesn't sway me any at all. Voted for him and still like him. He's just trying to get the job done. Take it as a learning experience and keep on going. Good guy.
    The trouble for Trudeau is that now that he has displayed this loss of temper on the floor that the baiting of him will increase. Chretien never really got over the strangler tag, nor should he, nor should any political opponents let him.

The "learning" is to not do something like this in the first place that you have to answer for and lose credibility over. Whether Justified or not Trudeau has also potentially lost some of his compelling hold over women voters. Who may now see him in a different, and not so charmingly innocent light.

Finally, this is not simply an MP involved in this, this is the Prime Minister, who liberal indiscretions notwithstanding, is expected to conduct themselves in more appropriate ways than losing control in the House of Commons.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Yup, next time he will know what to do:

Call for the speaker to have the unruly MPs removed from the House by the Sergeant-At-Arms.

The headline we are seeing today should have read "Mulcair, NDP and Conservative MPs removed from House of Commons for blocking governmental process".
    Expanding on your own thought who's fault is it that the whole nation is now talking about this Trudeau incident?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

It's obvious that most of you have not bothered to watch the video.

The whole thing was blown way out of proportion and it's pretty much soccer-style feigning of injuries. I see moms in the dairy isle get into bigger squabbles trying to jockey for cart position.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

FYI people, the "grabbing by arm" part was not the "issue" - he walked out to make room and guide the whip through a gaggle of brats that was impeding governmental process. The "issue" is that one of those brats was bumped with the force of a falling snowflake and pretended she was "traumatized" by it to drum up political points.

The comments in this thread are golden. Such absurd straw grasping to divert attention from the NDP and conservative behaviour and spin Trudeau walking through their silly little group into an issue.

Ashton, Mulciar, and the con backbenchers are just upset that Trudeau didn't play their game. This isn't the USA - physically blocking people from getting to their seats in the House is wrong.

I do agree Trudeau could have handled it better. He should have called the speaker to bring in the Sergeant-At-Arms and have them all forcibly removed.
    "Physically blocking" (an exaggeration) by just standing there and passively occupying space is not an action, its an inaction. Its just standing there. You are attempting to argue that a physical action of demonstrably grabbing somebody and hauling him off by the arm (an actual commission of use of force) is less bad then somebody just passively standing there?

By this extent of logic the next time I'm on a train platform waiting for LRT behind a large group just standing there I just haul off and grab some people out of the way. Its their fault for standing there "blocking"..
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-05-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Just watch me

Full interview

Trudeau skillfully challenging reporters
    And one more stop along memory lane

Normally I don't think people should be condemned for the actions of their ancestors, but in this case, Justin Trudeau HAS on numerous occassions wrapped himself in the supposed glory of his father, so it seems like fair game.
    Last edited by overoceans; 19-05-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

The whole thing was blown way out of proportion and it's pretty much soccer-style feigning of injuries. I see moms in the dairy isle get into bigger squabbles trying to jockey for cart position.
    We all likely watched the video thanks. Believing that there has been exaggerated claims, and believing that what Trudeau actually did was grossly improper in the House of Commons is not a mutually exclusive stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

We all likely watched the video thanks. Believing that there has been exaggerated claims, and believing that what Trudeau actually did was grossly improper in the House of Commons is not a mutually exclusive stance.
    Except his actions only seem grossly improper if you take them in the context of the exaggerated claims. Once you wade through the complete BS, it's much ado about nothing.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

/\see post 213

^Not at all. I went into watching the video with an open mind. I specifically watched the video from a news source with the misleading headline about the elbowing assault. Upon watching that video, my opinion is that the elbow to Brosseau is overstated, he brushed against her, she purposely overreacted as if he had pushed her, or actively aggressed against her so my momentary response was to second guess the uproar. But I then watched again focusing specifically on Trudeau physically grabbing and hauling the whip, who happened to be a male, with this being obviously a physically handing action. The latter results in my terming Trudeaus action grossly improper in the House of Commons despite the former which is largely a political red herring but which will likely remain significant nonetheless.

Next, I would ask what peoples opinion would be if the opposite had occurred and Trudeau brushed against a male (not actively elbowing) while grabbing and handling a female. Would anybody argue that appropriate in public, or in the house of commons? Why the double standard? is being physical with another member of the House of Commons proper because Trudeau is a boxer and he picked a male to be physical with?
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-05-2016 at 11:28 AM.

"Physically blocking" (an exaggeration) by just standing there and passively occupying space is not an action, its an inaction. Its just standing there. You are attempting to argue that a physical action of demonstrably grabbing somebody and hauling him off by the arm (an actual commission of use of force) is less bad then somebody just passively standing there?

By this extent of logic the next time I'm on a train platform waiting for LRT behind a large group just standing there I just haul off and grab some people out of the way. Its their fault for standing there "blocking"..
    What they were doing is actually a strategy to delay votes by crowding the floor, not returning to seats, and impeding people from getting to their seats. The strategy was to have time run out so the vote could not happen.

This is an orchestrated attempt to impede the government. They should have been forcibly removed by the Sergeant-At-Arms and sanctioned for their behaviour.

I guess it doesn't matter after all. The small minority of Canadians still upset that he took office will lie their way into deluding themselves that this is an issue. The vast majority of us will roll our eyes and forget it. The shame in all this is that the NDP and Conservatives get away with a very immature and unacceptable practice.

Except his actions only seem grossly improper if you take them in the context of the exaggerated claims. Once you wade through the complete BS, it's much ado about nothing.
    Well he said sorry, sorry for what? He lost his temper, he loves Davos and Washington trips,but not the job of actually being PM.

At least he was lucky not to have touched her breasts...

This seems to be quite a partisan reaction on your part Jeardo.

I don't specifically support any party at all. At least not since red tories lost control of the PC party.

My reaction isn't due to my support of Trudeau, it is due to extreme distaste for the juvenile behaviour that has been happening in the House of Commons.

From my observations of the incident (from a CTV news story) it was the Conservative whip that JT escorted through a group of loitering NDPers.

JT shouldn't have done what he did and I agree with those who think the reaction is overblown.

I don't specifically support any party at all. At least not since red tories lost control of the PC party.

My reaction isn't due to my support of Trudeau, it is due to extreme distaste for the juvenile behaviour that has been happening in the House of Commons.
    Heh, Jaerdo. This is unintended irony perhaps from heat and passion on your own part. Obviously upon a clearer ,less heated look Trudeau, due to his action, has just increased the inappropriate behavior in the Commons. Thereby increasing that which you have distaste for.

I say this to you because its duly noted that you get caught up in the moment, in the midst of debate, and say things and take stances that you would otherwise be disinclined to take.

What might be unconscious, is that you may share a heat response sense of frustration with Trudeau and might be agreeable to his actions due to your own blood boiling on occasion.

I mean well with this. Take a step back, stop posting on it, and see what you think say 24hrs later.

Passion potentially imbues actions, it imbues sense of justification, it impairs evaluation, inhibition, and potentially overrides common sense. A human characteristic we all need to be aware of. Anger is imo the worst intoxicant. (not referring to you, but what Trudeau did to Trudeau)

It could just be (not saying it is) that a parallel process of evaluating this exists for some. in otherwords that those enraged with stalling tactics on the floor may unconsciously be biased to accept Trudeaus actions.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-05-2016 at 12:09 PM.

The trouble for Trudeau is that now that he has displayed this loss of temper on the floor that the baiting of him will increase. Chretien never really got over the strangler tag, nor should he, nor should any political opponents let him.

The "learning" is to not do something like this in the first place that you have to answer for and lose credibility over. Whether Justified or not Trudeau has also potentially lost some of his compelling hold over women voters. Who may now see him in a different, and not so charmingly innocent light.

Finally, this is not simply an MP involved in this, this is the Prime Minister, who liberal indiscretions notwithstanding, is expected to conduct themselves in more appropriate ways than losing control in the House of Commons.
    I really do not buy into this 'compelling hold over women voters' statement. Most women I know think Trudeau is an effeminate big girls blouse. A girly man type of male. Sure there are air brained females that look on him as more of a cult of celebrity figure rather than a politician. The ones that do realize he is a politician (?) look at him as a real light weight in that field. As for his conduct in the house yesterday. Well, I think Trudeau is starting to show his true colors. He has inherited his fathers arrogant gene, the one where he thinks he is smarter and cleverer than anyone else. The part where he gives people the finger and dances behind the Queens back. Had to surface some time or other and it happened to be yesterday. As for the female that was traumatized. Get a life.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I really do not buy into this 'compelling hold over women voters' statement. Most women I know think Trudeau is an effeminate big girls blouse. A girly man type of male. Sure there are air brained females that look on him as more of a cult of celebrity figure rather than a politician. The ones that do realize he is a politician (?) look at him as a real light weight in that field.
    I think the Liberals do get more of the women's vote than the Conservatives, so in that sense, they do "have a hold over women voters". But that would probably be true with or without JT as leader. Whether he has increased that share significantly, I don't know.

I really do not buy into this 'compelling hold over women voters' statement. Most women I know think Trudeau is an effeminate big girls blouse. A girly man type of male. Sure there are air brained females that look on him as more of a cult of celebrity figure rather than a politician. The ones that do realize he is a politician (?) look at him as a real light weight in that field. As for his conduct in the house yesterday. Well, I think Trudeau is starting to show his true colors. He has inherited his fathers arrogant gene, the one where he thinks he is smarter and cleverer than anyone else. The part where he gives people the finger and dances behind the Queens back. Had to surface some time or other and it happened to be yesterday. As for the female that was traumatized. Get a life.
    "Trudeau has also potentially lost some of his compelling hold over women voters. Who may now see him in a different, and not so charmingly innocent light. "

Hilarious. I'd missed this remark. Sometimes these things say more about the perspective of the writer than the subject.

As for PET being arrogant and like father like son, I don't know. True or not, PET was a very successful politician with brains enough of become a law professor. I have to respect that even though I really disliked some of his tactics and personality traits. Now as for showing true colours, sometimes, if not most times, that's just a matter of time and circumstance and with nothing do with any attempt to hide anything.

They withdrew motion 6, well done opposition. Quick,ask for the pipeline!!!

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    I really do not buy into this 'compelling hold over women voters' statement. Most women I know think Trudeau is an effeminate big girls blouse. A girly man type of male. Sure there are air brained females that look on him as more of a cult of celebrity figure rather than a politician. The ones that do realize he is a politician (?) look at him as a real light weight in that field.
    I think the Liberals do get more of the women's vote than the Conservatives, so in that sense, they do "have a hold over women voters". But that would probably be true with or without JT as leader. Whether he has increased that share significantly, I don't know.
    Younger girls think he's cute. Those that wish the PM to act like a PM, not so much.

Sounds somewhat sexist, though from my own experience I know that for much of my life I didn't have to give a **** about anyone but myself, but most women have had to think much more about maternalistic AND paternalistic objectives and obligations towards future generations. Consequently, my orientation towards politics was very simplistic.

@KC. Not sure what you disagree with. Trudeau angrily storms up to the whip, grabs him and physically hauls him off.

This is not the Trudeau hosting a better, more civil, friendly govt.

This is not the Trudeau publically fomenting a relaxed joy of life and kindness and respect for others kumbaya.

This is JT acting aggressively , impulsively, reactively, in the house and recorded on the video, for the nation, for posterity.

The same guy that's become Prime Minister on a ticket of charming, warm, gentle, relaxed, inviting, and friendly.

The visage has been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Sounds somewhat sexist, though from my own experience I know that for much of my life I didn't have to give a **** about anyone but myself, but most women have had to think much more about maternalistic AND paternalistic objectives and obligations towards future generations. Consequently, my orientation towards politics was very simplistic.
    I think it's a valid comment that Liberals (may) get more of the female vote than other parties (haven't looked at the stats). Is it because the Liberals tend to advance women's issues, offer more child and family benefits etc: who knows. Now, saying J T got the liberals more votes because of his looks would prove (if it were the case) that the women who did vote liberal were doing it for the most shallow of reasons.

I think it's a valid comment that Liberals (may) get more of the female vote than other parties (haven't looked at the stats). Is it because the Liberals tend to advance women's issues, offer more child and family benefits etc: who knows. Now, saying J T got the liberals more votes because of his looks would prove (if it were the case) that the women who did vote liberal were doing it for the most shallow of reasons.
    I doubt that the Liberals got any significant amount of women's votes because they have a supposedly sexy leader. Well, I'm sure a few, just as there are men who might support certain politicians for fairly shallow reasons as well.

Mostly, as KC implied, I would think it's because their social status leads them to be more concerned about certain issues than men are.

^ human responses, even voting, are very subject to unconscious and not fully thought out premise. JT won a swing vote in this election. A vote that was both unexpected and apparently reactive. A vote that many posited was emotive based.

Are people really denying that this was not another "charisma" vote? Justin and Sophie have been riding the Charmelot camel ever since. That is, until this unravelled.

If Trudeau won on substance what substance is that?

Pugilism?
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-05-2016 at 01:11 PM.

@KC. Not sure what you disagree with. Trudeau angrily storms up to the whip, grabs him and physically hauls him off.

This is not the Trudeau publically fomenting a relaxed joy of life and kindness and respect for others kumbaya.

This is JT acting aggressively , impulsively, reactively, in the house and recorded on the video, for the nation, for posterity.

The same guy that's become Prime Minister on a ticket of charming, warm, gentle, relaxed, inviting, and friendly.

Just because someone develops a perception of someone else at some time, doesn't make it so. Here's a guy that enjoys boxing. Was that fact hidden? No. Why would anyone think that his "ticket" was one of "charming, warm, gentle...". I think that was your selective perception. My own selective perception was something else.

^ human responses, even voting, are very subject to unconscious and not fully thought out premise. JT won a swing vote in this election. A vote that was both unexpected and apparently reactive. A vote that many posited was emotive based.

Are people really denying that this was not another "charisma" vote? Justin and Sophie have been riding the Charmelot camel ever since. That is, until this unravelled.

Pugilism?
    So which was it? Was it reactive swing voting or was it a case of choosing charisma?

I sure didn't see any charisma. The jet-penis comment sounded like a huge blunder to me. (I had to overcome a huge dislike for voting for any child of a politician because of their innate political advantages (parent-assisted networking and funding, character stereotyping, etc) I did develop a dislike for the way the Conservatives were playing the game and their more recent policy choices. Trudeau's position on the senate was very, very atypical politics. It's a clear "substantive" decision far beyond anything our other politicians would risk doing. His position on deficit spending was also singular, timely and opportunistic and very fiscally "substantive" rather than dogmatic double-faced pronouncements we usually hear. Thus he offered a new approach to some problem solving while showing that he could also run on a platform considered risky politics.

On swing voting - that somehow carries a negative connotation in a lot of conversation, but in my mind, the swing vote is the vote that reflects a willingness to fulfil the promise of democracy and meritocracy.
    Last edited by KC; 19-05-2016 at 01:28 PM.

It was also based upon the other candidates we would NOT vote for.

At least we had three choices. In the US, they have two, Hillary or Trump. Sort of playing Russian roulette with a loaded double barrel shotgun.

You would think that with 322 million people, they would have at least someone better than either of those two.

Just because someone develops a perception of someone else at some time, doesn't make it so. Here's a guy that enjoys boxing. Was that fact hidden? No. Why would anyone think that his "ticket" was one of "charming, warm, gentle...". I think that was your selective perception. My own selective perception was something else.
    and that's all it is. You've accounted for one Trudeau vote.

My own take, and this is just based on observance, is that Justin and Sophie have positioned themselves as the new Charmelot and did this purposely and have been doing it since. Indeed almost all of the popularity of the couple stateside is due more to whats captured by the camera then what is captured in print. I think the American *experience* with Trudeau perhaps meaningfully casts light on Canadian voters own experience.

JT is a guy that would gladhand photo ops all day if that was his sole job and he could get away with it.

Finally, an unpredicted swing vote is characteristically due to one perceived issue causing a massive change in vote from what was expected. In nearly all instances political thinkers can backtrack for the hotpoint issue that likely contributed to that, as they have with this election.

and that's all it is. You've accounted for one Trudeau vote.

My own take, and this is just based on observance, is that Justin and Sophie have positioned themselves as the new Charmelot and did this purposely and have been doing it since. Indeed almost all of the popularity of the couple stateside is due more to whats captured by the camera then what is captured in print. I think the American *experience* with Trudeau perhaps meaningfully casts light on Canadian voters own experience.

JT is a guy that would gladhand photo ops all day if that was his sole job and he could get away with it.

Finally, an unpredicted swing vote is characteristically due to one perceived issue causing a massive change in vote from what was expected. In nearly all instances political thinkers can backtrack for the hotpoint issue that likely contributed to that, as they have with this election.
    One vote... Aggrandizements, generalizations, judgements and typecasting all tend to hurt my credibility. I try not to say: "Canadians believe.." Or the "average Canadian"... Additionally, when an "event" is narrowed down to one "turning point" or catalyst, I get suspicious of the motives or bias of the researcher. I see this everyday in the financial media. Market volatility regularly gets ascribed to one or other event. Oil prices detox one day, and it isn't possibly due to the interactions of thousands of boring old supply contract negotiations but instead fog off the coast of Texas, or some change in interest rates, or some such top of the news "event".
    Last edited by KC; 19-05-2016 at 02:38 PM.

J T and his wife have about as much charisma as Harper, zilch. Now, J T may perceive he has some but if that's the case he's a legend in his own mind. Personally I find him to be bland. About as interesting as watching paint dry. He seems phoney and staged to me. His umming and erring in the house and during interviews is annoying to say the least. It's like he's trying to think way ahead about what he is going to say when in fact he's hard pressed even to get the next word out, er, um. I sure hope we don't end up like the U S A where they try to palm of the likes of the Kardashians off as royalty and the Obama's as celebrities. Then it implodes with people like Trump being a frontrunner for the White House. I like our politicians to be judged on how they run the country not on how many photo ops they can get or how many pop/movie/d listers they are seen with. So far Trudeau has added two nannies jobs to the national work force. Bravo, just bravo.

J T and his wife have about as much charisma as Harper, zilch. Now, J T may perceive he has some but if that's the case he's a legend in his own mind. Personally I find him to be bland. About as interesting as watching paint dry. He seems phoney and staged to me. His umming and erring in the house and during interviews is annoying to say the least. It's like he's trying to think way ahead about what he is going to say when in fact he's hard pressed even to get the next word out, er, um. I sure hope we don't end up like the U S A where they try to palm of the likes of the Kardashians off as royalty and the Obama's as celebrities. Then it implodes with people like Trump being a frontrunner for the White House. I like our politicians to be judged on how they run the country not on how many photo ops they can get or how many pop/movie/d listers they are seen with. So far Trudeau has added two nannies jobs to the national work force. Bravo, just bravo.
    But you're a woman, of the weaker sex, so of course, we men can assume that at the last moment you fell for his bland-charisma, switched your vote and fell inline with the "woman's vote". we know how your mind works.

NDP MP Tracey Ramsey told the Commons in the immediate aftermath of the incident that Trudeau uttered a profanity as he approached her caucus colleagues standing in front of Brown.
    “He said, ’Get the bleep out of the way,”’ Ramsey said in the House. An NDP source who spoke to Ramsey afterwards confirmed the MP had heard Trudeau say “get the f— out of my way.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...219/story.html

Get the f out of the (my) way. I'm surprised he did not say "get the um, er f out of the way". Is this the actions of a P M who runs under the banner 'Sunny Ways'".
    Anyway, he's now groveling again with another apology.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...219/story.html

‘I expect better behaviour from myself’: Justin Trudeau apologizes again for House of Commons scuffle.

Get the fuddle duddle out of the way.

I guess all the ads were true

LOL

One thing is for sure, he does have a passion for what he does.

... A vote that was both unexpected and apparently reactive. A vote that many posited was emotive based....
    The only ones surprised were the CONS and their shills.

...If Trudeau won on substance what substance is that?....
    More reflective of Canadian values.

But you're a woman, of the weaker sex, so of course, we men can assume that at the last moment you fell for his bland-charisma, switched your vote and fell inline with the "woman's vote". we know how your mind works.
    ........and like most men world wide on knowing how woman think, you don't know Jack
    I should imagine the type of women that voted for Justin would either be a bimbo a feminist or one of those women that don't shave their underarms or legs, have a uni-brow and a faint moustache, have babies and bury the afterbirth in the garden for some stupid theory or other, think all men need taming or neutered, only eat raw things from the garden, never wear perfume because of the air quality, look for discounted fruit at the store. Then again, maybe I don't know Jack about that either

As is becoming increasingly common, Beaverton satire nails it again:

Entire NDP caucus arrive in neck braces, wheelchairs to House of Commons after Trudeau's assault

Pure gold:

said Mulcair... “I’ve lost my ability to do the thing I do best: yell and point my finger..."

Really? Pure Gold. Okay then...

Pugilism?
    So which was it? Was it reactive swing voting or was it a case of choosing charisma?

I sure didn't see any charisma. The jet-penis comment sounded like a huge blunder to me. (I had to overcome a huge dislike for voting for any child of a politician because of their innate political advantages (parent-assisted networking and funding, character stereotyping, etc) I did develop a dislike for the way the Conservatives were playing the game and their more recent policy choices. Trudeau's position on the senate was very, very atypical politics. It's a clear "substantive" decision far beyond anything our other politicians would risk doing. His position on deficit spending was also singular, timely and opportunistic and very fiscally "substantive" rather than dogmatic double-faced pronouncements we usually hear. Thus he offered a new approach to some problem solving while showing that he could also run on a platform considered risky politics.

On swing voting - that somehow carries a negative connotation in a lot of conversation, but in my mind, the swing vote is the vote that reflects a willingness to fulfil the promise of democracy and meritocracy.
    Unexpected swing votes, by definition, swing on an event, something that occurred, something recent. Does it serve democracy and merit to have a population swayed by the latest trumped up media furor?

Our Federal election terms are 4 years. Unexpected swing votes are biased to recency and tend to ignore entire terms in office. I'll agree to disagree that is evidence of meritocracy.

Unexpected swing votes, by definition, swing on an event, something that occurred, something recent. Does it serve democracy and merit to have a population swayed by the latest trumped up media furor?
    A number of entendres, perhaps deliberate maybe not regardless I had a good chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    A number of entendres, perhaps deliberate maybe not regardless I had a good chuckle.
    I was going to throw a few more in. I expected Charmelot would at least get a chuckle.

But yeah, in a Trump universe I have a hard time following people thinking about meritocracy.

Default Grits think they are above democracy

To put Trudeau’s actions into perspective, imagine what would happen to you if you tried the same thing with co-workers.

Imagine shoving through a group of colleagues blocking your path to the copier or watercooler and telling them to get the “f” out of your way.

Or imagine getting impatient with a colleague who wasn’t getting back to his or her desk fast enough, grabbing them and leading them forcefully to their place.

Now imagine the outcry if former Tory PM Stephen Harper had engaged in the same behaviour as Trudeau.

Liberals, who today are slavishly excusing Trudeau’s assaults on Brown and Brosseau as “minor,” would have been furiously tweeting about what a bully and dictator Harper was.

Editorialists would have been insisting it was proof Harper was unfit for office.

And academics would have lined up to sign open letters decrying Harper’s disrespect for the institution of Parliament and for his constitutional role.

Even before this incident, if the Tories had been attempting to alter debate rules in the way the Libs are, the media would have been full of indignation and accusations that Harper was an anti-democratic tyrant.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/20...bove-democracy

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast