Thread: Millgate and Mill Woods Transit Terminal modernization?

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

Question Millgate and Mill Woods Transit Terminal modernization?

So I live in the Mill Woods area, and have seen many of the transit terminals that the city has to offer. The Kingsway, Northgate, Southgate, Meadows, and South Campus bus terminals all leave me in awe, but terminals such as Millgate, West Edmonton, and Mill Woods are old and uninteresting and need an 'update' to their looks. How can we get this issue to the city. I'm a little confused as to whom one would bring this issue towards. Also, I'd like to see varying opinions towards the subject.

Millwoods and West Edmonton will soon be LRT stations.

Not sure what will happen with millgate though once LRT is built.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Addicted to C2E

I would start with your local Councillor (I guess it is Ward 12?)
    It won't to hurt to involve other local reps like the MLA (Christina Grey, NDP) and MP (Amarjit Sohi, LPC). Mr Sohi is a great guy and being a past councillor and a former transit driver, he should be interested to hear from ppl like you.
    Good luck !

My understanding is that the current Millwoods transit centre will eventually be turned into a public plaza, with a new transit centre beside the Valley line lrt terminus station. If you look at earlier documents for the lrt, they show varying positions, and orientations within 100 metres of the lrt station.

The document below only gives a general idea of the shift (top far right corner)

http://www.edmonton.ca/city_governme...ation_Plan.pdf

My other understanding is that Millwoods will be closed once the davies lrt station opens. Being in such close proximity, it's logical, and the Millgate transit centre is honestly run down.

There are rust spots that have eaten away parts of the walls leaving openings, and once in a while, a glass panel goes missing. As well, the new station will be in a better position to serve transit users.

I hope this answers your question.
    Last edited by gneagu; 24-04-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama

C2E Continued Contributor

^WEM is being modernized soon.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Are you referring to WEM as a whole or just the transit station?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

There is a construction shack at the wem terminal now. They have also made some new drop off points right on 87 ave itself, so im guessing it will be getting upgraded this summer or something but this is only a guess at this time.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I swear there was a big announcement over a year ago regarding the WEM transit centre. I think WEM was going to build a grand walkways/entrance way from the new transit centre. Maybe I'm imagining things but I am sure there was some big plan to modernize the centre there.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I swear there was a big announcement over a year ago regarding the WEM transit centre. I think WEM was going to build a grand walkways/entrance way from the new transit centre. Maybe I'm imagining things but I am sure there was some big plan to modernize the centre there.
    you mean this? http://www.edmonton.ca/ets/improvement-projects.aspx

West Edmonton Mall

Bus stops on the centre island are closed.
    Temporary locations map
    Improvements include:

• Replacing transit centre, including safety enhancements (more security cameras, improved sight lights within transit centre, better outdoor lighting, redesigning sidewalks );
    • Increased comfort (doubling size of indoor heated waiting area, added seating);
    • Site beautification (public art installation, building design and platform improvements).

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

WEM and Northgate are pretty tight squeezes for buses. I haven't been out that way (WEM) since working near 178/107th Ave in 2014. Unfortunately job wise I might be out that way again this summer too experience the changes. I remember when the Jasper Place transit station had a little brown shack that could house maybe 8 people. Anyone remember that one?

Seems odd knowing they'll have to pretty much rip it up in what... less than a decade at best?
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^or a few modifications and infrastructure additions making it work for trains. I am confident the low level design of this line will make those additions much less invasive and less expensive to add in time when needed. I don't think we will have another NAIT situation where we build it only to rip it all up a couple years later because of short sighted planning by the city of Edmonton.

So I guess I'd hope they'd be designing with an elevated station in mind?

West Edmonton Mall Transit Centre closes May 16th for renovations.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Work is underway at Belvedere station. Lots of Pavement being ripped up.

I'd rather C2E than work!

When Millgate was built is was intended to be a temporary bus station. This was back in the 1980s when Millbourne Mall was brand new and decent.

A bus driver told me a new bus terminal will be built on Whitemud and 75st, where the old go-cart amusement park was located.

No, the station is going on the old Osman auctions site on 75 Street. The old amusement part lot, and the subsequent lot beside it are being developed into a storage site/ maintenance site for the lrv's for the valley line. Initially, there was going to be a stop there, but it was cut.

C2E SME

It is unclear if Millgate terminal will remain once the new Wagner LRT station and transit center are built.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    It is unclear if Millgate terminal will remain once the new Wagner LRT station and transit center are built.
    Most likely, it will be closed, and then demolished. It's almost an exact copy of the West Ed Mall transit centre which is being remade now. As well, the proximity of Millgate to the Wagner station would render a dual transit centre situation unlikely.

However, there is one such current example of such implementation, as Lakewood, and Millwoods.