Thread: Pedestrian ferry | Proposed

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Pedestrian ferry | Proposed

Group floating idea of ferrying pedestrians across river once footbridge closes
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/group-flo...oses-1.2872961

A local community group has come up with at least one option for pedestrians to cross the North Saskatchewan River once the Cloverdale footbridge closes: a ferry.

When the popular bridge closes in July, the next closest river crossing will be just less than a kilometre away, leaving pedestrians to take a long detour to get across.

“Walking all the way down to the Low Level Bridge, and crossing there, and then trying to get up the hill on the stairs that are currently closed because of the funicular project,” Paul Bunner, co-chair of the LRT Liaison Committee said.

Bunner says a water craft to ferry pedestrians across the river might be an option.

“A small, simple, flatbed ferry with a small motor on it that could putter back and forth across the river,” Bunner said.

The area around the footbridge is popular for foot traffic in the river valley, and the proposed ferry would cross from Rafter’s Landing, to the summer dock.

The committee has been pitching the plan to City Council for years, they said – and it’s hoped the plan will be given the green light, although some details need to be worked out.

“For the ferry or water taxi to exist here, the water would have to be controlled somehow,” Retired Fire Captain Chuck Polturak said. “Other major cities with water taxis have a little bit of control.”

However, Bunner says the timing for such a plan couldn’t be better, as the Edmonton Queen is up for auction.

“This is the chance for the city to do a pilot project, people would appreciate it, people would really enjoy having the experience of being on the water,” Bunner said.

The Cloverdale footbridge is scheduled to close in July.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Crazy
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Good for them!

I'm curious what that footbridge cost and when it was built.

1978. So it's 38 yrs old.
    http://citymuseumedmonton.ca/2015/05...erdale-bridge/

Cost?

Lastly cost per year = ?
    Last edited by KC; 24-04-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Ferry, novelty idea. How does it work in the winter?. Does it get converted into a ski jet.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Ferry, novelty idea. How does it work in the winter?. Does it get converted into a ski jet.
    In the winter flood an ice run across the river, grab a big sleigh that they can winch a bit up each side of the bank and then let it go! Charge for the rides.

^Come for the sleigh ride, stay for the broken leg.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

How to cross the river once the cloverdale footbridge is temporarily closed for a new bridge? Walk 5 minutes west and use the low level?

Cost: $0.00. Available immediately.

Can we tie the activists together and float them around the river?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    How to cross the river once the cloverdale footbridge is temporarily closed for a new bridge? Walk 5 minutes west and use the low level?

Thank you
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Thank you
    You're welcome

C2E Hard Core Contributor

What on earth does the Edmonton queen have to do with this concept? Are they suggesting using that as a ferry?

What a preposterous idea. I can't believe there are people in the world that daft.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Put in a zip line for them. Low cost and works year round.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    What on earth does the Edmonton queen have to do with this concept? Are they suggesting using that as a ferry?

What a preposterous idea. I can't believe there are people in the world that daft.
    The article says that the dock at which the Edmonton Queen is moored could be used as a landing spot for a water taxi.

I think the idea of a pedestrian only water taxi to connect the promenade on the north side of the river with Rafter's Landing on the south side is kind of cool. At first blush, I would rather the City have invested in this rather than the funicular.

Just hand out water wings at Rafter's Landing and let people swim across.

I like the zip line idea.
    www.decl.org

What I have in mind is something more than a straight shot across the river in a water taxi, though I'm okay with that as well as an option.

There's something magical though about safely experiencing a City from the water. Canal, river, lake or harbour boat or water taxi tours are one of the first things I seek out when visiting a new City. And one of the few things I'll do again on repeat visits.

I would love to see something similar to the Saskatoon or Winnipeg river boat tours in Edmonton. The problem with the Edmonton Queen is that it was too big for the river (so it was docked much of the time) and too expensive.

Build an extra large catapult and fire people over the river to a big safety net on the other side. As an incentive don't charge the elderly or their dogs.

My friend has an old fishing boat. Maybe I'll ask him if they can borrow it.
    www.decl.org

This would be able to move a fraction of the people who use the bridge and will use the low level bridge the next couple of years until the new bridge is built. Non-starter.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^But the boat is 16', and going back and forth we might be able to trawl for fish. Win-win.
    www.decl.org

Would you want to eat those fish though? While Edmonton treats most of the sewage before it gets to the river, because of either old shared sewers or incorrect connections (sanitary sewer connected to storm drain for example) it doesn't do all.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...r-water-supply
    Last edited by sundance; 25-04-2016 at 04:40 PM.

highlander

Easy. Only eat the fish from upstream.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Easy. Only eat the fish from upstream.
    Haven't you heard? Fish move up and down stream. Remember Blinki?

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 26-04-2016 at 09:54 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

There's a market for every product
    www.decl.org

Lol wait just a minute. Willie Wonkas Great Glass Elevator down the side of a hill is a great idea but this isnt?

If I had to choose between the two id take river taxi
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post

The article says that the dock at which the Edmonton Queen is moored could be used as a landing spot for a water taxi.

I think the idea of a pedestrian only water taxi to connect the promenade on the north side of the river with Rafter's Landing on the south side is kind of cool. At first blush, I would rather the City have invested in this rather than the funicular.

"I can't believe there are people in the world that daft."
    What's that old quote about making assumptions?

It might be a good idea to stay clear of the construction activity that will be happening here, for safety reasons. Therefore I recommend using the low level for now please.

The walleye lottery is this Thursday. So if I want to trawl with my fishing boat ferry, I better get a licence.
    www.decl.org

Maybe have a crane over the river with a rope and they can bring out their inner Tarzan. If anything it will add to the crane count thread. (Envaneo tries a fake Tarzan yell and coughs and sputters)
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

What about a gondola across the river, maybe the whole river valley? That would have been another cool solution.

(banff gondola as example)
    Last edited by gneagu; 27-04-2016 at 11:25 PM.
    "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - Dalai Lama

^ Tarzan thinks to expensive, Jane and cheetah wont get on it. Prefer swing on rope.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

Gondola would be nice but if it were to happen I think it should be a gondola from the Arena district to Whyte ave.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

What happens if a gondala breaks down in the middle of the river? Normally on the ski fields, they can put ladders up and stuff, can't they?

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    What happens if a gondala breaks down in the middle of the river? Normally on the ski fields, they can put ladders up and stuff, can't they?
    Probably the same thing they would do on the peak to peak gondola at Whistler... there's no ladder tall enough to help you there... I'm not sure how rescues wold work on that? Helicopter or maybe a rescue team comes down the wire?

^maybe like a zip line? Cool.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

On more typical chairlifts, they lower people down by rope. On any one lift it's not common, but every winter there's a resort that has to deal with an evacuation like that somewhere in North America. Obviously on the Peak 2 Peak in the middle over the valley that's not possible. Not sure what they do there. Ladders are never used, unless it's at the very start or end of the lift. Ladders aren't good for much more than 10 feet, and are pretty unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    We don't use ladders. Where they're low enough it's ropes over the cables and lowering people down. Where they're too high there are systems for running on the cable or there's what they did at Kicking Horse this year: helicopter rescue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcv5WfpMxSI

Looks like the evac procedure for the Peak 2 Peak is, if the cabins are in the high section, to winch the cabins to the nearest tower and evac there.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Please make sure my wife never sees this or she'll never ride the gondola again. I'd be all for it though. Awesome views! I'd probably even pay extra...
    Last edited by Medwards; 02-05-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Please make sure my wife never sees this or she'll never ride the gondola again. I'd be all for it though. Awesome views! I'd probably even pay extra...
    It's going to depend on the gondola. The one at Sunshine can be evaced by rope for the whole stretch and even most of the cars at Kicking Horse can be. That video is from a short stretch where there are cliffs underneath the cars so they can't do a standard evac.

I'm leaning more to something on these lines. It's fast to construct, inexpensive, good for all weather, air conditioned. It would be really iconic if we put this over the river. For the first inaugural crossing we could send the mayor and the councillors over. Have a band waiting on the other side playing Bridge over Troubled Water.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=rope+...aPyvjh-AWgM%3A
    Last edited by Gemini; 02-05-2016 at 08:33 PM.

That looks more like Troubled Bridge Over Water.

C2E Super Addict
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yeah, things can go horribly wrong with Zorbs too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uBFwqI4TlM

^indeed.

I love the idea of a gondola or ski lift from the south side of Telus/ATB to End of Steel Park.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd imagine they'd use a zip line, in conjunction with a safety harness. Safer than power line workers who have to worry about falling AND getting electrocuted.
    http://sploid.gizmodo.com/inspecting...t-b-1774498450

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^indeed.

I love the idea of a gondola or ski lift from the south side of Telus/ATB to End of Steel Park.
    Don't stop at the park, stop beside the Old Strathcona Market.