Thread: Report reveals Canadian home internet speeds suffer in the West

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Report reveals Canadian home internet speeds suffer in the West

West suffer slowest home internet speeds but strong in the east

NB got the highest and Yukon is the lowest.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/04/30/re...r-in-the-west/
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Not sure what to make of that report. I think the data is a bit skewed, because it's not talking about the maximum that's offered, but what people have. I have 100 Mbps download, but my mom has 15 Mbps, but that's by choice. We could both go to the 120 Mbps service that Shaw offers.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I think rural areas are more isolated in the west, so slower speeds. That skews it.

Last year Shaw reduced their speeds while increasing prices. The technology is progressing at a rapid pace yet they're going backwards in the product offered. That tells you the level of competition here. Your choices, currently, are Shaw via cable technology, and Telus via DSL technology. Telus' fiber will shake things up, however that is still only two providers.

All the other providers are just resellers of those two with minor variations on pricing and data caps, but no variation on speeds offered.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^on the city rank, Edmonton does poorly - 21. Vancouver 19. Calgary is 11. Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal take top 3 spots. Oh, but that's access (not sure if that means speed, there are various charts where Calgary and Edmonton look pretty close).

Much of this will be a function of population density and number of backbone connections. The whole eastern seaboard is a mass of backbone connections while out here there may only be a few pipes for Alberta data to get to the broader internet.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Last year Shaw reduced their speeds while increasing prices. The technology is progressing at a rapid pace yet they're going backwards in the product offered. That tells you the level of competition here. Your choices, currently, are Shaw via cable technology, and Telus via DSL technology. Telus' fiber will shake things up, however that is still only two providers.

All the other providers are just resellers of those two with minor variations on pricing and data caps, but no variation on speeds offered.
    Keep in mind that things like Telus fibre are only about speed to their switches. What CIRA is looking at here is overall performance to the entire net. I switched to Telus fibre from Shaw and while I definitely an able to handle more connections out I've actually had more performance issues with Netflix and AppleTV streaming than I did with half the speed on Shaw.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Much of this will be a function of population density and number of backbone connections. The whole eastern seaboard is a mass of backbone connections while out here there may only be a few pipes for Alberta data to get to the broader internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Calgary seems to be an exception. What's the reason for them being so far ahead of Edmonton I wonder?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, itís not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Calgary may have more connections out to deal with all the head offices.