Thread: Underpass beautification

Default Underpass beautification

There have been a few threads, that have discussed different underpasses in COE:

- A recent underpass / overpass will be the winter garden.

- Another is under the mall pedway, City Center, on 102.

- Also the China Town underpass near Station lands.

They have the same issue in Calgary, with the Beltline, going under the rail. A pretty nice underpass has been built in East Village.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...fo0&ajaxhist=0

And one is now being designed for 4 street, with animated lights, in one of the more run-down, "scary" underpasses:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...more-1.3562442

And 8 street, close to the infamous, "crack mac":

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ting-1.3152577

Are those ideas worth looking at? They seem to play on the new LED lighting, stuff that couldn't really be done a decade or so ago. Basically turning dumpy areas into visually nice / safe feeling ones.

Will Wintergarden underpass (I guess technically an overpass) be quite nice / lit up like that (I expect so - it could actually turn out to be a street enhancement if done right)?

Could something be done re the City Center one, the giant pedway shadow? It would be neat to clean it up before the LRT comes nearby. Its a bit costly though (although nothing compared to the cost of an overpass /underpass itself).
    Last edited by moahunter; 02-05-2016 at 04:30 PM.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see our underpasses beautified. In reality, they'd get destroyed almost immediately by too-high loads.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Imagine if the Rat Hole was still around and lit up like Freemont St., well till it rained and anyone walking though got electrocuted.

C2E SME

How about a band-aid at the High Level train bridge.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

I think it would be nice to have some kind of LED lights at the Legislature tunnel on 97 Avenue.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Can we see some renderings for the other 6 months of the year? You know, with windrows of brown snow, slush on the streets and unshoveled goat paths as people try to walk on icy sidewalks?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

.... And Edmontonians rally behind another great beautification idea.

It must be something about bridges...

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ncbEucjsNFU

Last edited by KC; 03-05-2016 at 07:43 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

All those options would be nice, but even a yearly pressure wash and repainting with white would be an improvement.

^Scraping the caked urine off the walls would do wonders for all underpasses and parkade stairwells.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm tempted to invent a taser shocking device where flowing urine would complete the circuit.

^just embed an electric fence - it hurts to pee on one

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    ^Scraping the caked urine off the walls would do wonders for all underpasses and parkade stairwells.
    Removing too much could cause a collapse.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E

Chinatown/ 97 st underpass is a useless structure and an invite to graffiti/urination.
    We would all be better off if it was just demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal76 View Post
    Chinatown/ 97 st underpass is a useless structure and an invite to graffiti/urination.
    We would all be better off if it was just demolished.
    Yes, we should debate that!

I say keep it, beautify it.

Anyway... LEDs are getting cheap and the designs more flexible. Why not try it?
    Last edited by KC; 05-05-2016 at 09:03 PM.