Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFR Dead. Replaced with a hockey and bull riding event.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Ha ha ha HahahahahaHaaHa!

Yeah moa, the other part of negotiating is knowing what your 'Plan B' is.

Fail.
    Sometimes we just overestimate our marketable value at any point in time.

Eg.

"Microsoft's $44.6bn offer for Yahoo is turned down
    2013 Blogging site Tumblr acquired by Yahoo for $1.1bn
    2016 Verizon agrees $4.8bn deal to buy Yahoo"

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36879831

The question now should be: How do we need to do to get them back? ...and what did/didn't we do that caused them to think that Edmonton was worth giving up on.
    Last edited by KC; 28-07-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^And who knows what the future holds, the Rodeo might return to Edmonton, depending on how it does elsewhere. If Saskatoon pulls if off though, good for them, in some respects it might be a nice thing for a smaller city, which might get a bit more behind it.
    Yes, good for them and we hope the best for them, but I'd say, we want it back.

Good opinion piece here:

Gunter: Saskatoon's CFR win over Edmonton is rodeo's loss

BY LORNE GUNTER , EDMONTON SUN
    FIRST POSTED: THURSDAY, JULY 21, 2016 04:54 PM MDT | UPDATED: FRIDAY, JULY 22, 2016
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/07/2...is-rodeos-loss

Sorry, KC, but no.

It is simply incomprehensible how they thought maybe they'd find a better situation.

It was either bluffing moahunter style to the stupidieth degree, or they found a Nova Scotian who actually believed the anti-Edmonton stigma when he got off the boat in Cowgary.

It's not "oops, we thought maybe there was a better arena, purse, district, and ancillary agricultural fair, like, maybe, y'know, somewhere else in Western Canada."

Consider that bluff called to the tune of 1 correct firing and 14 correct resignations.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Not really an Edmonton hatred, maybe a dislike of the Oilers group and having to move (gasp!) downtown.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ maybe too soaked in the "Edmonton should be easy to beat because doncha know it's blue collar and doesn't get chinooks" false Calgary stigma.

Absolutely nothing that came out showed any kind of anti-Edmonton sentiment. What it did show is that the believed their brand and event was worth a lot more than it was, and they shot down the incumbent, thinking others would be hot in the pants to up the ante.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ even if another City wanted it, there's no sane reason to believe they could even match Northlands, let alone top the OEG proposal.

So why not speculate the insane reasons?

I'd rather C2E than work!

^OK, its not a negotiation failure, they just hate Edmonton like Glenco says (even though they have been doing the event in Edmonton for years...).
    Quite honestly when they turned down the more than generous offer from Edmonton I was convinced they must have had a better offer waiting. What else would make sense? How can you say no to a tripling of the purse for 10 years not knowing if there is a better offer out there.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

^ even if another City wanted it, there's no sane reason to believe they could even match Northlands, let alone top the OEG proposal.

I think they were just incredibly stupid and naive. I would absolutely believe they thought they could get a better deal. Sometimes it's hard to see reality when you're inside a bubble, and I think they were inside their little bubble and completely disregarded outside factors, such as the chance that OEG was courting PBR/WME.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ maybe too soaked in the "Edmonton should be easy to beat because doncha know it's blue collar and doesn't get chinooks" false Calgary stigma.
    Why does everything in your world have to be about Calgary? Seriously? Calgary has its stampede (Ponoka has one as well, with a rodeo finals), I doubt either city cares less about the Canadian rodeo finals (Calgary even declined to bid). This is between Canadian Professional Rodeo Association, OEG, and now Saskatoon and Professional Bull Riders (who have stepped in as a replacement for Edmonton). PBR's website is interesting (looks more like motocross, monster trucks or WWE), it might be a pretty good event I think:

http://www.pbr.com/
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-07-2016 at 08:54 AM.

^ hey, as soon as the Provincial government gives us "a PWA" to bankrupt Westjet and move all your head offices North with, three more spokes of LRT than Calgary has to get around with, and an Olympic games to advertise ourselves with, I might just give you poor little people a little break.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

I think they were just incredibly stupid and naive. I would absolutely believe they thought they could get a better deal. Sometimes it's hard to see reality when you're inside a bubble, and I think they were inside their little bubble and completely disregarded outside factors, such as the chance that OEG was courting PBR/WME.
    Well if you read, that's what I'm saying with the "Edmonton should be easy to beat, because it's Edmonton" angle.

There are people (even within Edmonton) who don't understand the arts and entertainment powerhouse we already are, nor the juggernaut we will become with the likes of Rogers Place, ICE District, Northlands 2020, and an actual Downtown.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

vinesh pratap@vineshpratap 1h1 hour ago
    From CFR to PBR. New event for #yeg billed as a "western lifestyle festival" for 10 days. #yegarena@GlobalEdmonton
    https://twitter.com/vineshpratap
    Last edited by Hilman; 03-08-2016 at 12:39 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

OEG ANNOUNCES PBR PARTNERSHIP

August 3, 2016
    PBR TO ANCHOR 10-DAY WESTERN LIFESTYLE FESTIVAL IN EDMONTON WITH CANADIAN FINALS AND GLOBAL INVITATIONAL EVENT

Oilers Entertainment Group and PBR Join Forces to Create Western Lifestyle Destination Event

EDMONTON, AB — All roads lead to Edmonton as Professional Bull Riders (PBR) and Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) have announced a partnership bringing the PBR Monster Energy Canada Tour Finals and a special global invitational PBR event to Rogers Place as the centerpiece of a new festival to coincide with Edmonton’s annual Farm Fair exhibition.

The three-day global professional bull riding showcase, which will be broadcast on TSN, is scheduled for November 10-12, 2017 with a $1 million (CAD) purse up for grabs. It will cap an exciting 10-day festival that will include NHL hockey, live entertainment and community events and activities celebrating western lifestyle.

The bull riding will begin with the PBR Canada Monster Energy Finals, crowning a champion among the country’s Top 40 riders in the PBR Monster Energy Canada Series – a new 16-city tour visiting five Canadian provinces starting August 20, 2016 in Ottawa and ending in October 2017. Following the Canadian Finals, a two-day PBR Edmonton Open Invitational will feature the world’s Top 40 bull riders: the Top 20 riders in the Canadian standings along with the Top 20 from the PBR World Standings.

Highlights of the festival event schedule, which is still being developed, include:

November 3-12, 2017 – Western lifestyle festival events and activations
    Friday, November 10, 2017 – PBR Canada Monster Energy Finals
    Saturday, November 11, 2017 – PBR Edmonton Invitational – Top 20 Canadian riders compete with the world’s best
    Sunday, November 12, 2017 – PBR Edmonton Invitational Finals

“PBR is very excited to partner with Oilers Entertainment Group to develop this marquee sporting event anchoring a western lifestyle festival in the great city of Edmonton,” said Sean Gleason, CEO of PBR. “Beautiful, new Rogers Place is the ideal venue to crown a champion for our new PBR Monster Energy Canada Tour and host the world’s best riders at a global invitational. This three-day Canadian showcase will award the biggest purse outside of our World Finals in Las Vegas and is an important component to PBR’s commitment to Canadian fans as well as our global growth.”

“We are excited to build on Edmonton’s proud western heritage through this new event,” said Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson. “This exciting festival concept will help build on the success of Farm Fair and will be a great draw not only for Edmontonians, but Northern Alberta as well.”
    http://www.rogersplace.com/oeg-annou...r-partnership/
    Last edited by Hilman; 03-08-2016 at 12:44 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Last edited by Hilman; 04-08-2016 at 08:06 AM.

So, why should I go see PBR? sounds like it's just one event, and with just a few more participants than that event would have at standard rodeo.

If that's all it is, I guess we can expect a more glacial pace than the worst tv- timeout affected football game.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    So, why should I go see PBR? sounds like it's just one event, and with just a few more participants than that event would have at standard rodeo.

If that's all it is, I guess we can expect a more glacial pace than the worst tv- timeout affected football game.
    It's more than a year away and CFR isn't even done yet. I'm expecting this to be a significantly bigger affair than CFR ever was, with much better tie-in events. Makes me wish OEG was around when Indy was in town.

I wish they could move this to a warmer time of the year.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^why, isn't it indoors? I would have thought that's part of the appeal for Edmonton - it extends the season, so presumably isn't as in conflict with other bull riding events which have to be in summer as outdoors.

Warmer so we could have more tie-ins outdoors without having to worry about wearing toques and mitts.

Unwritten Canadian Law ; Do not speak of toques, mitts, snow, winter, etc. in August or any summer month.

Warmer so we could have more tie-ins outdoors without having to worry about wearing toques and mitts.
    Precisely. Imagine the street parties and other outdoor events that can be held.
    It doesn't have to be in summer, it can be held in early or mid September.
    Daisy Dukes > toques and mitts

Love this move, much more exciting in general, but I do lament the loss of the real side of things.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Interesting comparison of the PBR versus the CFR group led by the CPRA:

The PBR was founded 23 years ago by 20 bull riders who invested $1,000 apiece in the belief that a bull riding-only event would sell. They were right. Last year, PBR was sold to IMG for a reported $100-million US and is now backed by their global reach and entertainment expertise.

There are 1,000 riders competing in 250 events in six countries — Canada, the U.S., New Zealand, Brazil, Australia and Mexico. Their shows are beamed into 500-million homes worldwide on television. In the U.S., PBR ratings rival most other sports properties but the National Football League.

“While we may not be in the mainstream psyche of most people when you think about sports products, and I know that this is a big, huge hockey town, but in the United States, we regularly beat (hockey) in TV ratings. So we’re pretty proud of that,” said Gleason.

They’re not rodeo, and they’re not mainstream. But they’re not fly-by-night, either. And anyone bemoaning the loss of the CFR should find some solace in the fact that the PBR is big league. The 26 Built Ford Tough Series events, their premier shows, play in buildings like Madison Square Garden in New York City and AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Gleason said they’ll have 60,000 people at their PBR Brazil finals. And Aerosmith’s lead singer Steven Tyler wrote the PBR’s TV theme song and will play at the national finals in Vegas this fall.

The CPRA, meanwhile, suffered a six-figure loss last year, has been rocked by political dysfunction and will be hard-pressed to put the pieces back together quickly. President Murry Milan resigned in mid-July and, nine days later, GM Dan Eddy was fired after a 6-5 vote by the board of directors. The five dissenting directors immediately resigned, as did the CFR negotiating team and the business advisory council, which included external members.

The remaining directors and CPRA staff are trying to replenish the board, find an interim GM, finish their season and put on the final CFR in Edmonton.

The differences are indeed striking.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...monton-in-2017

^A little bit like what I suggested in post 110, re being more like UFC or monster trucks, this might actually be a blessing in disguise, PBR will be out to make an impression, and if they do, it gives Edmonton something quite unique for Alberta (assuming the Canada event mentioned in that article isn't in Alberta). I am thinking this might have a lot to do with the strife at CPRA - they are letting the competition grow.
    Last edited by moahunter; 04-08-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Egads, what a breath of fresh air these guys are. Well adjusted professionals instead of clown-car cash grabbers.

No doubt. Had they not threaten like that and remained here, they could have worked with the Katz group for a one two punch of an event- bull riding then rodeo. What a waste of an opportunity for them!
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

It's not quite dead!

Canadian Finals Rodeo returning to Edmonton past 2016
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/sources-c...2016-1.3119339

Deal with Saskabush fell through.
    Well, that was unexpected.

What a gongshow. Do you all think CFR will do OK up against OEG's implementation of PBR? We all know OEG will bankroll a spectacle to turn PBR into a big event, but CFR also has history and a dedicated fanbase. Maybe a little competition is good. Maybe it'll dilute it and neither will live up to expectations.

C2E SME

Can't say I know enough about rodeos and the respective organizations to venture a guess as to which will be more successful, if they remain separate events in competition with each other. It would appear that the CPRA is a completely dysfunctional organization, though. Perhaps with the recent changing of the guard mentioned in the article they'll get their crap together.

Called it:

Well first we see what Saskatoon put together. (Although we know fitting 20,000 fans into 2,000 hotel rooms is going to be a tricky one. Attracting 20,000 interested monied people without Farmfair might be harder than it looks as well.)

But if they don't even get a single bid? Again, if it were my org, heads would roll, then account the loss in bargaining power as "depreciation" and send better adjusted people to find a way that works collaboratively with CoE, OEG, and Northlands.
    (Well, except the OEG part.)

I think it's early enough for CFR to carry continuity through, but our hotels already get maxed out with CFR alone. One has to think with both houses running rodeo they'd be able to draw cowfans from farther afield than Stettler, but I can't see where we're going to put everyone.

So this is official, BTW:

Dan Barnes: Rodeo back at Northlands through 2018, but cowboys obviously want deal at Rogers Place

DAN BARNES, EDMONTON JOURNAL

There is a far bigger, more important deal to be made for the long-term future of the Canadian Finals Rodeo.

Because the time-buying extension announced Wednesday — through 2018 at Northlands Coliseum — is only a bridge over what had been some incredibly troubled waters. The Canadian Professional Rodeo Association essentially imploded last summer, and it was the uncertain fate of their championship, the CFR, that lit the fuse.

That opinion is shared by Jeff Robson, a former CFR contestant and CPRA board member acting as an association advisor. He rode herd on the negotiations with Reid that took the rodeo back to Northlands, spurning Saskatoon in the process. But his first item of business after the announcement of the extension was a visit with OEG.

“I’m going to start this afternoon trying to see what’s next,” he said. “I’m starting to work on ’19.”

“I think they said it well; there is a scar there,” said Robson, who is nonetheless hopeful of a long-term partnership. “I think they want to see where things end up. I think (OEG vice-chair) Bob Nicholson said it best in the press a long time ago … the door is still open a crack and we’ll be there.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...t-rogers-place

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

as sent directly:

Tim [Reid],

You’re probably aware that I have at times been a Northlands’ critic when the organization has taken on ventures and done so in a manner that I have been unable to support.

It’s also true however, that when the occasion arises I like to think that I have been one of the first to congratulate the organization on a job well done.

Retaining the CFR for what is – hopefully – longer than just the next 3 years would certainly be another one of those occasions.

Congratulations to you and the rest of your staff and your volunteers for your perseverance on retaining not only an anchor tenant for Northlands but an anchor event for the Edmonton region.

Regards,

Ken
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Ken:

As a 5 year volunteer @ Northlands, thank you for your inclusion of the volunteer pool in your letter.
    Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal.

For sure, good on Northlands from Tim Reid to the volunteers to the staff, to the advantages in physical form, to Farmfair. An almost unbeatable team.

Good on the "New" CPRA and Jeff Robson too. They're doing what's right here, and completely broken off from the "Old" CPRA. Takes guts to do such an abrupt turnaround from past mistakes, and both Jeff and Tim embody that. The right people making the right decisions, and if only they'd both been around earlier...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Canadian Finals Rodeo puts local businesses back in the saddle'We count on the rodeo ... it's like Christmas'
    CBC News Posted: Nov 14, 2016 2:00 PM MT Last Updated: Nov 14, 2016 2:00 PM MT

The Canadian Finals Rodeo drew thousands of people to Edmonton over the course of five days.

The latest edition of the Canadian Finals Rodeo just rode out of town, leaving behind some much needed cash for local businesses feeling pinched by a soft economy.

For the past five days, Northlands played host the 43rd annual CFR, drawing more than 87,000 people to the Coliseum.

The Farmfair International drew a record 95,500 guests to the Edmonton EXPO Centre.

Those throngs of visitors provided an up-tick in sales for businesses.

"The rodeo is very important to us," said Barry Lammle, president of Lammle's Western Wear & Tack. "That's the heart of our business. We count on the rodeo. It's like Christmas to Lammle's."

Though official 2016 estimates have yet to be released, the rodeo and Farm Fair are said to pump about $80 million a year into the local economy, according to previous reports by the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation.

Those throngs of big spenders will likely be riding back into the city next year. In late October, the Canadian Professional Rodeo Association and Northlands made a surprise announcement, confirming they had signed a short-term deal ensuring the rodeo will return to Edmonton until at least 2018.

"Once again this event acted as a strong bridge between rural and urban," Tim Reid, president and CEO of Northlands, said in a statement.

"As an agricultural society, we are proud to see the continued strength and activation while respecting the fact that many farmers and ranchers are still having to spend time in the fields harvesting their crops."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...850444?cmp=rss

^Apparently of CFRN news last night it said that rodeo attendance was down. Did not hear by how much as I just caught a little bit of the story.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Considering they pulled this out of their butt at the last minute, that's not surprising. What is surprising is that they pulled it off as well as they did.

C2E SME

This year's rodeo was always going to be at Rexall. You're thinking next year's.

Somehow I missed that. Reduced attendance could be due to the economy, or perhaps confusion about whether it was even supposed to be here this year.

C2E Continued Contributor

CFR solely at Rogers would be rough. I mean, the rodeo portion could happen, but it would be rough. They'd have to use the community rink for stalls. I'm not sure what they would do about Farmfair either. That is a pretty big draw as one can ascertain from the CBC article drawing 95k over the weekend. You need a convention space for that; one that is quite a bit larger than what the JW Marriot will offer. If they want to keep it all downtown in the future (beyond 201, they'd almost have to use the Shaw as well.

Jaybee nailed it in terms of a partnership in the future. I think the path forward if the Coliseum is turned into rinks is to have the rodeo at Rogers and the rest of the festivities at Northlands EXPO. CFR doesn't really work otherwise. It was a good weekend nonetheless. Cool to see so many vendors setup and the place was bustling when I was there on Sunday. There was visibly more people at the heavy horse event in the morning than there had been in previous years. Don't know if that is because people wanted to support CFR more this year given the drama or if it is more that the good weather helped in people traveling. There were guys from Michigan and Washington State competing in the pull, let alone the actual rodeo that draws competitors from further away. Some events at CFR draw better competitors than Calgary Stampede, because they follow more traditional rules than Stampede does. My uncle has never bothered competing in the Stampede for that reason alone. Plus, entry fees for CFR are more reasonable as well.

I don't see CFR and PBR having a huge issue with each other if kept separate. Adjoining them as a single event sounds like a nightmare though.

As Katz seems to be trying to buy up land around Rogers place is there not a parking lot big enough to build a convention centre. Not one as big as Expo centre but big enough for what CFR wants. A smaller convention centre in the area of Rogers place could take smaller conventions or gift shows, pet shows etc.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Somehow I missed that. Reduced attendance could be due to the economy, or perhaps confusion about whether it was even supposed to be here this year.
    Late harvest. A lot of farmers are still struggling to their crops in.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Nothing but Expo Centre will work for Farmfair.

Nothing else is even close to neither the size nor logistics, let alone the fact it's a Northlands production.

No way we ever build anything else as large either.

As long as Farmfair exists, it stays put, regardless what happens to CFR.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Rogers Place ‏@RogersPlace
    The toughest sport on dirt is about to leave its mark on #RogersPlace. Details coming this morning! #PBRGlobalCup
    http://Rogers Place ‏@RogersPlace 15... #PBRGlobalCup

Might want to change the title of this thread

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

PBR GLOBAL CUP TO DEBUT IN EDMONTON

$1,000,000 Purse on the Line for the World’s Best Bull Riders

Edmonton, AB (February 8, 2017) – Professional Bull Riders (PBR) and Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) today announced Rogers Place in Edmonton, AB will be the first-ever Canadian host of the PBR Global Cup on November 9-11, 2017. The three-day event will feature the world’s best bull riders from Canada, the United States, Mexico, Brazil and Australia, all competing for their country and a Canadian-record purse of $1,000,000.

3-Day ticket packages for this highly-anticipated event begin at $190 and go on sale to the public at 10:00 AM on Tuesday, February 28 at RogersPlace.com.

The Edmonton event will award the largest purse for bull riding in Canada and the second-largest payout in North America, next to the PBR World Finals in Las Vegas. A first-of-its-kind event for Rogers Place, Edmonton will welcome the best bull riders and best bulls from around the world as PBR headlines a celebration of western lifestyle with other community events and festivities planned across the city.

The bull riding event, which will be broadcast domestically on TSN and RDS, is an important pillar to the new PBR Global Cup, a five-country, international competition that will crown the world’s best bull riding nation.

On Thursday, November 9, Rogers Place will be the scene for the Canadian National Team Qualifier event, following the multi-city Monster Energy Canada Tour. On November 10 and 11, forty of the world’s top cowboys, including 12 from Canada, will then compete in the PBR Global Cup – a year-long tournament that will visit five countries to decide which nation can claim to be the world’s best bull riding nation. Each participating country – the US, Australia, Brazil, Canada and Mexico – will host a three-day PBR Global Cup event. Similar to the format in Edmonton, the first day will feature a National Team qualifier with the Global Cup competition held the remaining two days.
    http://www.rogersplace.com/pbr-globa...t-in-edmonton/

Guys, this isn't the right thread for PBR.

CFR, if you missed it, is in fact not dead and in fact not leaving Edmonton, but it is a different event by a different organisation that is being hosted at a different venue. (The Coliseum for the next two years while Northlands' plans for reconfiguring are on council-mandated hold.)

The CFR and PBR will be the same weekend. I wonder how that will turn out. Are there enough western lifestyle fans to fill two arenas? This is not Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio.

^ even if there are, CFR was already maxxing-out the hotels we have. Your question might not be answerable if we can't squeeze through the bottleneck.
    Last edited by JayBee; 09-02-2017 at 04:42 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Canadian Finals Rodeo coming to Northlands Nov. 8-12

CLARE CLANCY

The Canadian Finals Rodeo is returning to Edmonton’s Northlands Coliseum Nov. 8-12.

This will mark the 44th year of the CFR. The annual rodeo extravaganza is scheduled to go head-to-head with the PBR (Professional Bull Riders) event scheduled for November 10-12 at Rogers Place.

Tickets for the CFR go on sale May 1.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...lands-nov-8-12

I have not followed the news, but when they held us for ransom, I thought it was dead? This will be very interesting with competing events of similiar nature.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

This is downright ridiculous. Competing against each other isn't going to work in either events favour. Running up to each other makes much more sense. The city better not be providing $$$ for either event.

reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Might want to change the title of this thread

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    This is downright ridiculous. Competing against each other isn't going to work in either events favour. Running up to each other makes much more sense. The city better not be providing $$$ for either event.
    In all fairness, CFR had made it clear they were seeking other venues when they got greedy and held us for ransom per se. If anything, it will be CFR that I will not support. They left scheduling open, so someone else stepped in. The best solution is to have the two combine to one large event with or without CFR. If CFR fails, we can't blame OEG for that.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

^yes, on similar wavelength here. I am not impressed with CFR and the CPRA. Now both events will suffer due to their gong show efforts to screw everyone including themselves. Only one event has deep pockets behind it, and it definitely isn't the CFR/CPRA. They can't afford to lose attendance. And just who exactly is funding their winnings?

It is funny you mentioned funding. I had that in the back of my mind when I threw the idea of combining the two on Rogers thread. Combined those two together, and approach the oil companies collectively. The major companies-. Suncor, Syncrude, CNRL, and Shell started the OSSA safety orientation, so an acronym of similiar idea could be used to represent them. I think it would great way to promote our industries in both natural resources and farming. If we can get other sponsors to come on board, the purse prize will be that much bigger which will attract that much more calibre and audience. Some had echo how big this bullring is in the US, so it could be huge for us for tourism overall.

How about a combined indoor outdoor BBQ in the Downtown during both events.
    www.decl.org

That would be okay if it were reasonably priced with a donation to the food bank or something.

I would love to see various teams, cities or sponsors doing a BBQ-off.
    www.decl.org

Not a bad idea Ian. If they process this carefully, it could tie in after with the taste of Edmonton to keep the summer festivals going,. A warm up for the event of Bull riding. An annual competition would be great in my opinion. This would/ definitely work and gather more bodies to downtown. If we can attract world calibre to come, I could see it manifest into a world competition. World BBQ, yum!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Aside from sharing a "western festival" and having two events on consecutive weekends, it would not be possible to merge the two events into one. It would be similar to merging the Grey Cup with the Rose Bowl. Two very different organizations and two very different focusses. Unless a potential sponsorship partner is mainly Edmonton, or rural Alberta-based, they aren't keen on CFR. PBR on the other hand puts branding and marketing first, and the results have more than spoken for themselves.

The train-wreck continues. Is Edmonton, or the CPRA coming out the bigger loser?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3844608/f...ands-coliseum/

If you read back through this thread, the fault lies with the previous CFR board of rodeo clowns. If not for them, a deal to move to Rogers Place would have been concluded ages ago.

Looking forward to going on opening night.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Looking forward to going on opening night.

Which ?

You have to ask? It's plaza of the oligarchs or nothing.

Future of rodeo in Edmonton back on the table, right after the dust settles
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tles-1.4399296

Discussions are underway to possibly merge the two major rodeos, creating one larger, combined rodeo event.

A spokesperson for the Oilers Entertainment Group told CBC News one of the possibilities includes merging the PBR and the CFR into a 10-day event on back-to-back weekends.

Gleason said the PBR already hosts a two-day event in Arlington, Texas, where the professional bull riders take to the dirt on the first night, and rodeo enthusiasts turn up for the Iron Cowboy on day two.

Either way, discussions about the future of rodeo in Edmonton will begin right after the dust settles, Gleason said.

"Edmonton is sitting on the precipice of having a major PBR and a major rodeo event happening in the same weekend, and there aren't many places where that happens," he said.
    Combining PBR and CFR makes infinite sense

Default Canadian Finals Rodeo run done in Edmonton

It looks like both the CFR and PBR events are toast. In place of PBR, OEG are hoping to create a​ "western lifestyle event"--whatever that means.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/lo...ne-in-edmonton

After 44 editions, the Canadian Finals Rodeo run is done in Edmonton.

The Oilers Entertainment Group has informed the rodeo cowboys negotiating committee they will not submit a bid to keep the event in Edmonton at Rogers Place.

After losing what is believed to be somewhere between $500,000 and a $1 million promoting a Global Cup PBR bull riding event to run in conjunction with Farm Fair this past November, OEG has also decided not to return with that component.

^Circus with cowboy hats on.

C2E Continued Contributor

Whatever events allow OEG to make the most money, that will be the only type of events Edmonton will be entitled to now that Northlands has shut its doors. Good grief.

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    It looks like both the CFR and PBR events are toast. In place of PBR, OEG are hoping to create a​ "western lifestyle event"--whatever that means.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/lo...ne-in-edmonton

“We did a deep dive analysis with Farm Fair, CFR and PBR and all the stakeholders that we talked to in the city felt that Farm Fair was the event the city wanted to see long-term.

Classic.

Yeah.

Balls deep.

Sounds to Top_Dawg like they fuqed up all three.

You can add professional rodeo to the growing list of pro sports enterprises that have either failed to take hold, packed up, left town, or just plain shut down in recent years.

Baseball has been dying a slow death for ages. The Indy race evaporated in a cloud of smoke in 2012. The lacrosse team was given the three-finger salute by Katz and co in 2015. The Fath brothers finally lost faith in Edmonton soccer fans in 2017. Horse racing is about to be relegated to irrelevance in the outskirts.

Edmonton really is a two-sport town. And even Eskimos' attendance is down almost 15% in the last decade.

PBR and CFR both came and went without virtually any hint of their existence this year, in my world anyway. With so little impact, it's pretty clear they were both a bust. Too bad. And Farm Fair? Talk about an even to get the blood pumping *eyeroll*

Eh, Calgary already hosts that event 365 days every year.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

PBR and CFR both came and went without virtually any hint of their existence this year, in my world anyway. With so little impact, it's pretty clear they were both a bust. Too bad. And Farm Fair? Talk about an even to get the blood pumping *eyeroll*

Eh, Calgary already hosts that event 365 days every year.
    what you fail to note is how large cfr and/or farm fair hints were in your world prior to this/last year. if the answer - as anticipated - is zero or close to it, then that's a reflection of your relationship with cfr and farm fair, not their relationship with/importance to edmonton, the edmonton region and alberta as a whole.

Unfortunate, especially for the many businesses for whom CFR was almost as big as Christmas.

But the cowboys did this to themselves and now will pay with what I figure will be a much smaller purse than what Northlands offered.

And, yeah, have to agree this whole stupid dust-up started with a hate-Edmonton bias by a a now ex-CEO and Board members who hate our city w/o ever having lived here and outside CFR probably never even visited.

Now they'll get what they richly deserve, irrelevance.
    ... gobsmacked

I'm hoping for Red Deer and expansion within the Centrium. Then I'll likely still attend. If it goes to Saskatoon it's likely I wouldn't make it. Saskatoon does have a proper arena (SaskTel Centre) with 15,200 seats and 51 executive suites. It's ready for anything, even NHL.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-01-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

with all our lip service about the importance of increasing our economic and cultural diversification, somehow i don't think exporting successful events like cfr to other cities is really a step forward for edmonton.

it's tempting to call this one - and everything related to it - a comedy of errors except that the end result isn't at all funny.

instead of cfr and its net positive 30million dollar impact to the general economy, we'll - maybe - get a "western life style event". wtf is a "western lifestyle event" anyway?
    Last edited by kcantor; 08-01-2018 at 04:30 PM.

I'm pretty sure a western lifestyle event is a rodeo.
    There can only be one.

For the OEG a "western lifestyle event" will be something they can bring in for cheaper, spray some marketing on it ("western lifestyle" is the beginning) and sell for more than they can a rodeo and farm show.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    with all our lip service about the importance of increasing our economic and cultural diversification, somehow i don't think exporting successful events like cfr to other cities is really a step forward for edmonton.

it's tempting to call this one - and everything related to it - a comedy of errors except that the end result isn't at all funny.

instead of cfr and its net positive 30million dollar impact to the general economy, we'll - maybe - get a "western life style event". wtf is a "western lifestyle event" anyway?
    CFR was always a big time of the year for me. Lots of fiddle gigs as an accompanist. Lots of dough as a busker. It really was as good as Christmas, or better, for musicians like me. Comes every year so you can plan for it, like Christmas, and people are nice.

It was fun. Impossible to replace.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I think the city screwed up by giving OEG too much power. They now literally own the entertainment business in this town. Wish we could move the coliseum out to the airport, Leduc County. Lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 08-01-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Look at the responses from a lot of people. They’re very telling. Even more telling are the lack of responses from some people

Edmonton doesn’t value culture or diversity, whether it be a historic piece of built form or a 100 year old institution. Frankly Edmonton is getting exactly what it deserves.
    Parkdale

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I don't see how the CFR screwing the city of Edmonton is Edmonton getting exactly what it deserves.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post

Look at the responses from a lot of people. They’re very telling. Even more telling are the lack of responses from some people

Edmonton doesn’t value culture or diversity, whether it be a historic piece of built form or a 100 year old institution. Frankly Edmonton is getting exactly what it deserves.
    to be fair, the “very telling” might more be a reflection of those participating in and attending cfr not participating in and posting on c2e. my guess is the demographics are quite a bit different...

I'm very concerned with the cancellation of the CFR and also PBR failing. Nicholson was betting heavily on PBR, told CFR that he preferred that version of event during CFR negotiations, and did not respect CFR, or their needs during those negotiations. PBR failed spectacularly, averaged 5K on most nights, and is also discontinued.

It is odd how little OEG is being held to task on this. One of the ongoing concerns expressed during the Arena negotiations and a DT arena was how it was going to impact such events and with ample suspicion expressed for years that events like CFR were going to bite the dust at a DT arena. So here we are.

Rather than the lack of comments not reflecting on interest its more the case that people that have opposed the DT arena all along, and had expressed such, and other concerns, like myself, have been browbeat and dissuaded to post on the topic for years. Being that the Arena is here, and that lots of concerns have surfaced, like this, like poor concert event ticket sales, there is reason to comment, but its a large case of the barn door being left open and far less point now. As in its all done now, and a lot of the concerns were warranted, have occurred, but theres nothing we can do now. I suspect its more the case people have just given up talking about it to some extent.

It is unfathomable however that a City council felt that giving OEG exclusive Arena entertainment rights in this city was part of this deal. That Rogers is not such a facility, or entity, that it would, by itself put Rexall out of business, and that Rexall continues to be physically able to house events, and similar events, is a huge concern. Not just over this issue but of a City Hall and administration that have stopped realizing who they work for. Because in no way is the closing of CFR, or Farmfair a satisfactory development for the COE residents, businesses, or Northern or Central Alberta.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I'm very concerned with the cancellation of the CFR and also PBR failing. Nicholson was betting heavily on PBR, told CFR that he preferred that version of event during CFR negotiations, and did not respect CFR, or their needs during those negotiations. PBR failed spectacularly, averaged 5K on most nights, and is also discontinued.

It is odd how little OEG is being held to task on this. One of the ongoing concerns expressed during the Arena negotiations and a DT arena was how it was going to impact such events and with ample suspicion expressed for years that events like CFR were going to bite the dust at a DT arena. So here we are.

Rather than the lack of comments not reflecting on interest its more the case that people that have opposed the DT arena all along, and had expressed such, and other concerns, like myself, have been browbeat and dissuaded to post on the topic for years. Being that the Arena is here, and that lots of concerns have surfaced, like this, like poor concert event ticket sales, there is reason to comment, but its a large case of the barn door being left open and far less point now. As in its all done now, and a lot of the concerns were warranted, have occurred, but theres nothing we can do now. I suspect its more the case people have just given up talking about it to some extent.

It is unfathomable however that a City council felt that giving OEG exclusive Arena entertainment rights in this city was part of this deal. That Rogers is not such a facility, or entity, that it would, by itself put Rexall out of business, and that Rexall continues to be physically able to house events, and similar events, is a huge concern. Not just over this issue but of a City Hall and administration that have stopped realizing who they work for. Because in no way is the closing of CFR, or Farmfair a satisfactory development for the COE residents, businesses, or Northern or Central Alberta.
    That's the real problem right there. Everyone at city hall, from the management through the mayor right down to council all work for Katz and OEG. The degree to which our municipal government is beholden to the private interests of the Katz Group is repulsive yet the media and many around here turn a blind eye because what--we get shiny new towers? Beer and skyscrapers are the new bread and circuses.

The degree of nepotism is not difficult to divine; sometimes at city hall they don't even try to hide it:

“The Coliseum, Rogers Place, the city, Katz Group – it’s all intertwined,” councilor Tony Caterina, August 30, 2017.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...er-expo-centre

I understand PBR is dead.

Does this mean Farm Fair is dead?

CFR decamped to Red Deer.

What does Red Deer have that Roger's Place in Edmonton does not?

A smarter city government? I think Farmfair will eventually relocate as well, maybe to Red Deer too. Red Deer is now a city of over 100,000 population in the 2016 census. Census division 8, Red Deer and region, was 208,395. It's centrally located and who knows what they will get. The Centrium will be expanding its seating capacity and I'm not certain of other buildings at Westerner Park but I'm sure they would be accommodating. I think the Northlands grounds will die out with the Coliseum getting demolished by the city, the racetrack too and all the barns. The city should rent out their vacant properties to farmers to grow crops. lol. Oh ya we don't want farm or rural people to set foot in our big urban city anymore. Who needs hicks hanging around. I disagree with the city on most things they do so crawling in bed with Katz is just another mistake in my opinion. Sure he's doing a lot of good but......,
    Last edited by Drumbones; 15-04-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12